Among the owners of small dog breeds one of the most frequently discussed topics is the choice of shoes for dogs. In addition to clothes for dogs, which will protect animals from hypothermia, bad weather, breeders should take care of comfortable footwear. Today, few people are surprised by dogs, proudly walking through the streets of the city next to the owner in fashionable, stylish, glamorous clothes, beautiful shoes or boots.
Dog shoes are not just a fashion accessory or the whim of the owners. This practical attribute of dog equipment protects small paws of dogs from cold, snow, dirt, sharp objects, chemicals, substances that are sprinkled on pavements in winter. Chemical aggressive substances on the sidewalks of the streets, which are especially dangerous to the health of small pets, can provoke allergic reactions and irritate the delicate skin between the pads, if you do not immediately wash the paws of the dog after a walk. Footwear will protect the paw pads in nature from wounds with sharp thorns, spines of plants, from bites of blood-sucking parasites. In addition, shoes for dogs will keep the pet's feet clean, freeing the owners of the daily washing procedure.
How to choose shoes for dogs
Shoes for dogs, as well as for people, are represented by a wide variety of models and styles. There are models for everyday walks, seasonal shoes, and there are exquisite, glamorous options for fashionable walking fashion shows. It is advisable to purchase for your pet a few pairs of shoes for all seasons and occasions. To protect the pet's paws in winter, choose warm models of boots or boots with fur with a corrugated rubber sole, on the tread with a slight bend. Warm, soft shoes will protect the paws from the winter cold, snow, chemical reagents, and complete with warm clothes for dogs, provide a comfortable pastime on a walk in the frosted money.
For walking in inclement rainy weather, shoes, boots, sandals made of genuine soft leather, varnish, special water-repellent suede are suitable. The sole of the products must be made of waterproof material, have a low tread, be sufficiently dense.
For the summer period, you can purchase a pet light, well-ventilated model. For example, light stylish sandals, open shoes, sandals, knitted shoes with a dense sole.
Dog shoes should be made only from natural, high-quality, practical elastic materials. Synthetic materials can rub the skin, provoke the appearance of diaper rash, allergic manifestations. Inside the products must be a soft lining. The nose should be sewn from a denser material so that the sharp claws could not pierce it. It is best to choose models with zippers, zippers, with Velcro straps. if the shoes have straps. there should be at least two of them. For long-haired breeds of dogs, preference is given to products on the straps, as long hairs can get into the zipper lock.
Do not buy pet models overloaded with decorative ornaments. The easier the shoes, the more comfortable the dog. Small details can be of interest to the dog and the pet can try bright decorative objects on the tooth.
How to choose the size of shoes for dogs
When choosing shoes for your pet, in addition to the style and design, it is necessary to choose the right size so that the dog does not experience discomfort. Shoes should not hold down movements, cause discomfort, violate the biomechanics of movements. In order not to be mistaken with the size, place the dog's foot on a clean piece of paper, circle the contour of the front and rear legs, taking into account the protruding claws. Measure the width of the ruler, the length of the drawn trace. Based on these parameters, you can safely push off. choosing shoes for your little pet. With regards to the height of the tops - the longer the length of the metacarpus, the higher must be the shoe. Note that you should not buy shoes for up to five to six months, as even the most practical shoes can lead to deformation of the not yet fully formed legs.
Teach your dog to shoes
In order for the dog to adequately perceive the new item of clothing, the first shoe must be made of lightweight materials. Soft low shoes, knitted models, products made of soft suede will do. Soft shoes with thin soles do not cause discomfort in dogs, so pets quickly become accustomed to an unusual item of dog wardrobe.
Dogs are gradually taught to use a new fashionable accessory, putting on shoes for a short period of time at home. If the pet tries to pull the shoes off the paws, immediately stop such attempts with strict intonation. Try to switch the attention of the dog, for example, to a toy. Encourage proper behavior by gentle intonation and delicacy. Shoes, clothing, ammunition should not cause negative associations in the dog. As soon as the pet starts to perceive the change, it is possible to take the dog in fashionable shoes for a walk.
Simple shoes without a complex cut
If you urgently need to sew protective shoes for large breed dogs with your own hands, this option is ideal (the dog cut the paw, but there is no “rescue” shoe). For long wear such shoes are not too suitable. For small dogs and for pets with thin, lean legs, a few extra stitches are required. The material needs soft, resilient and waterproof. The sole can be strengthened by stitching a piece of thick non-slip fabric outside.
So, the inner oval or circle is equal to the outlines of the foot (measure the length and width). The CD line is the desired boot height.
- we cut a circle / oval from the fabric, as it turned out by the standards and a couple of centimeters on the hem,
- put the dog's paw in the center, right on the fabric,
- we lift the fabric upwards, covering the foot and metacarpus (as if we are packing a pot with a flower),
- we make several tucks with pins, collecting the extra fabric in the tucks (all unnecessary - outside the boot). Keep in mind that the shoe should be worn freely, i.e. too narrow the width of the tucks do not need
- a thick insole can be sewn from felt or sewn to the sole from the outside. You can leave the boot soft, but the fabric must be waterproof,
- stitch along the darts, cut off the excess protruding fabric,
- tuck the top and skip the gum or cord on the retainer. Do the same utya around pasterns, immediately above foot.
Comfortable boots of two parts
This pattern of shoes for small dogs is suitable as a basis for winter boots, and for sewing light rainwear or anthers. The boots sit comfortably enough on the paw if the fabric is dense and keeps its shape. The insole and / or sole can be strengthened at your discretion - with dense skin, a piece of tanned leather, felt or left soft. Light boots for protection against moisture and dust are sewn literally in half an hour, winter ones made of fur or leather a little longer - an awl will be needed to make punctures, and strong threads.
- we draw a sole by the standards of the foot plus seam allowances,
- we draw a trapezoid whose height is equal to the height of the boot, and the width to the circumference of the metacarpus. At the bottom of the trapezoid wave, as shown. Its rise will be at the back, on the heel (the narrowest point of the trapezoid is the back of the boot), and the sharp corner will be at the toe of the boot. We look for the wave form approximately - it is convenient to cover the foot with a paper or an unnecessary piece of cloth, estimate the bends and mark them with a chalk / felt-tip pen. And then from the "draft" to transfer the pattern to the fabric.
- we process the top (in the photo on the top there is a checkered decorative edging, but it is better to put on an extra loose elastic band),
- fold the trapezoid in half, try on the sole. The seam that connects the sides of the trapezium must match the toe of the boot, i.e. rest against it. Fold get behind the heel. Sew the item to the sole,
- now we sew the trapezoid along the lines (orange color in the picture). The backdrop is vertical, and the front is slightly bevelled by tilting the sides of the trapezoid. If there is a lot of excess tissue, you can make a dart in front of you directly above the foot (see figure 1 in the photo). Around the metacarpus, just above the joint, skip the strap or velcro tape (number 2 in the photo).
Boots with tongues
Detail 1 - the side of the boot, they need two to one shoe (or four, if you want to insert a lining of fleece or other warm material). The tongue is approximately equal in length to part 1, i.e. the height of the boot. Sole - along the contour of the foot (part 3). Detail 4 covers the toe and, together with the tongue, forms the front part of the shoe (you can see how the shoes are stitched - it will become clearer). To sew comfortable shoes for dogs of small breeds with their own hands on the pattern below, you will have to make a few test fittings. Use paper or waste fabric for roughing.
- sew the heels of the sides and sew along the oval to the sole, starting from the back of the boot. While we sew up to the middle of the sole,
- sew tongue and toe,
- sew the toe to the front of the sole,
- till the end we sew the sides, we connect them to the toe. The tongue remains free, the side parts do not need to be sewn along the tongue to the very top, otherwise the shoe will be difficult to pull on the paw,
- it remains to skip the string or the tape. If the boots are high, an additional elastic band or another pull-down cord is needed from above. If you sew shoes on a large dog, you can insert a strip of fabric between the side parts and the sole, the width of which corresponds to the height of the foot from the floor to the beginning of the joint (see the following pattern, this strip is used there).
Comfortable boots for any weather
If you sew from dense leather with a lining, you get warm winter boots with a high ankle boot. But the pattern is suitable for sewing rainwear from nylon.
Compare the picture with the photo below - it will become clearer what's what. Detail 1 - the sole with a slightly cut back (the heel is not rounded, but almost straight). Detail 2 is the top of the boot, covering the foot before the start of the metacarpus (to the point where the bootleg begins, that is, the top is completely). Part 3 provides additional space inside the shoe - its width is equal to the height of the foot from the floor to the joint, and the length is equal to the length of the circumference of the sole. Part 4 folded with a cylinder is a shaft (height is at your discretion, but low boots are held worse).
- sew a strip (part 3 in the picture and photo) to the sole (1), in a circle,
- sew to the front of the upper strip of the shoe (2), not to the end,
- the top (4th detail) remains open, not stitched. We sew the bottom of the tops (rear fold) to the strip behind the heel and to the top of the boot in front. The edges of the tops remain free, wide open - it is more convenient to put on and take off shoes. In order for the legs not to wet and freeze, on the one side of the tops you need to sew a shelf (5 in the figure) - a strip of fabric, like under a zipper on the trousers.
- try on a shoe and find a place just above the joint, just above the foot. Here you need to sew to the tops of a pair of scenes (loops of strips of fabric), through which the tape will be held. The tape is simply wrapped around the pasterns and slightly tightened (so that the shoe does not fall down, but also does not squeeze the paw). If you make two rows of velcro, the dog will be happy to spank on the dirt, not noticing the bad weather: such shoes do not slip, do not twist and do not change the position of the feet.
Before you sew shoes for dogs, always check whether the size of the parts is enough to prevent the shoes from getting cramped. Especially if the pet is small, but there are few details: offhand it seems that the seams will "eat up" a maximum of a square centimeter, but for a small paw the lack of even a centimeter is already a lot. If the fabric is thick, leave the seams outside - so the paws will be more comfortable, and the dog will get used to the new thing more quickly. In addition, rough seams will not spoil the wool.
High boots can be attached directly to the inside of the leg of the jumpsuit. To do this, divide the buttons or velcro into two halves - sew one part to the boots, and hide the other one inside the pant legs.
Warmth, cosiness and comfort
If you do not like to sew, you can tie shoes for dogs - you get something like booties or socks. It is convenient for dogs in such boots - the paw is completely on the ground, the movement of the fingers does not restrict anything, the fasteners do not press down on the joints. Knitted "slippers" will not allow the paws of crumbs to freeze after a bath, when it is already cold outside the window, and the heating has not yet been turned on.
Unfortunately, such shoes are impractical - they quickly collect dust, wear out and stretch. If the claws are not sawed, the claw will pierce the shoe and stick out, and this prevents walking (the shoe either falls or twists). There is nothing to talk about walking in the damp, but in winter the legs are wet too - the snow melts from the touch of the paw pads, the moisture is absorbed into the thread, it freezes and forms a cold crust. To extend the life of the cozy beauty, shoes are easy to upgrade in one of the ways:
- sew a thick insole (felt, two layers of fleece, etc.) from the inside,
- make a sole out of a rough waterproof fabric, and knit the knit part, by looping along the edge of the sole and up, in a column,
- Strengthen the knit toe with a strip of leather or nylon so that the claws rest against the dense material.
Knitted shoes for dogs - it's easy if you know how to knit socks or booties (they are more convenient because they sit on the leg not as a tight fit, but as a shoe). You can work with crochet or knitting, as you used to. The loops should not be airy (quickly stretched), and choose strong and rather coarse (but not prickly) threads. From thin yarn or delicate mohair it is better to knit a jumpsuit or a sweater in the color of a shoe. For long-haired dogs, if it is important to maintain the perfect quality of the fur coat, knitted boots are not suitable - woolen threads electrify and rub the fur coat. Although if you wish, you can sew inside the shoe silk lining.
Why do we need shoes
In Russia there are severe winters, and the temperature regularly drops below zero for most of the year. With some decorative rocks you can not go out in the winter - they do not require active movement, but most walks are necessary regardless of the weather. And if the jumpsuit and blanket protects the body, then the legs remain in danger.
- The snow is packed between the paws, as a result, they are bursting from the inside, and the dog begins to limp, feeling discomfort. Very quickly, the snow turns into ice, and the pet can refuse to go on - it hurts. Newbies wonder: why does my crumb not want to walk in the winter? This is especially true of animals with thick hair on their paws (this is individual and does not depend heavily on the breed).
- Gentle cushions of crumbs are very easily injured on the ice. As a result, microcracks appear, and even serious cuts to the blood!
- Reagents (or simple salt with sand), which are sprinkled on the road - this is aggressive chemistry, it can lead to burns, penetrating into all the cracks in the legs and causing suffering. Non-healing wounds - the result of frequent walking through the city streets.
- Properly selected or self-made shoes have non-slip soles, as a result, your ward's gait will be more confident.
- Shoe protects from simple dirt: removed it and you can not wash their paws. This is especially true when you come to visit.
- Finally, would anyone be able to keep a smile from seeing such a miracle:
As in the old days, rubber galoshes were put on the boots, which were left in the hallway, so the advanced owner walks in the offseason with a pet in boots. When traveling abroad, they are especially useful: it’s enough to put them in a bag before flying on an airplane - and you can not think that the kid is kneeling on your lap or your neighbor.
It may be a discovery for someone that search dogs in the West are almost always wearing shoes: their legs are too important to risk injury from a random piece of wire. Dogs traveling with their owners over rocks and rough terrain are always shod. Thus, protection for the paws is required in all situations for all.
You will do without boots
- In that case, if you live in a warm climate, or if you do not use chemistry on the sidewalks (for example, in Finland the roads are sprinkled only with granite chips: both beautifully and effectively).
- If you walk for a short time and have nothing against washing the paws every time.
- It may be impossible to teach an adult dog to wear shoes, and inevitably it will be necessary to abandon this idea.
What shoes is
The range is diverse, consider the main types.
For home use. They are needed so that the sharp canine claws do not scratch the parquet. It can also be useful if you have very slippery floors, and your pet slips all the time. We can not recommend socks for dogs, because they are not of functional use. In such circumstances, it is better not to have an animal, or to get a big carpet.
Sold from 90 rubles per pair.
For walking - more precisely, for beauty. Can be sewn of fabric, leatherette and fleece. The problem is that getting wet - respectively, is useless exactly when needed. But perfectly suited as an accessory of dog fashion. Subdivided into summer, demi-season, winter.
Regular price - from 500 to 1000 rubles.
При качественном исполнении и правильном подборе одновременно красивы и функциональны. Хорошие сапожки прослужат собаке не один сезон. Есть 2 основных варианта: резиновые, на дождливую плюсовую погоду, и зимние утепленные.
Производитель Pet Life, модель - Red Shearling Sherpa 'Duggz'
На фото выше мы видим жесткий вариант высоких сапожек для йорка, они будут уместны при долгих активных прогулках. Если вы выходите только сделать свои дела, а также для поездок, вам стоит рассмотреть облегченные модели. Prices for decent quality boots start at 1000 rubles in Russia and $ 10 in the USA.
Rubber boots look particularly impressive in bright colors.
From above - a novelty of 2014 - silicone soft models from China. They are good because they are easy to put on and take off. Convenient to visit and travel. You can order them with free shipping to Russia on Aliexpress.com, while the purchase will cost only 9-10 dollars.
Products such as sandals, sneakers, etc. we will not consider, since they do not carry a practical application. And let's talk about fashion another time.
How to pick up
Everything here is just like that of people: even sneakers are sitting on everyone in different ways. Therefore, never buy shoes for dogs in online stores without fitting. An exception is if you know the exact model you need, and the manufacturer is known for consistent product quality.
Get ready for the fact that you have to try several models before you find what is right for your baby. Abroad it is easier: there are ordered several options for the model and size, and when the courier delivered the goods, you can try and buy only what came up.
Remember: the dog almost does not lose heat through the paws, so the boots should not be insulated. The presence of fur is another marketing trick of the manufacturer. On the contrary, the fur (of course, this is a synthetic fake) will quickly fall out, and the shoe will start to hang out.
We still sell things either frankly to the release - Chinese handicrafts of 300-500 rubles per pair, or China is more expensive in the face of Dezzie shoes, where prices start from 800 rubles. There is a third option - handicraft crafts of masters "for their own", here you can get the perfect quality, and make an expensive and unnecessary purchase.
In principle, the products Dezzie, Trixie, etc. Companies can be used (especially if you consider that there is nothing else), the main thing is to try everything on carefully, be sure to give the dog a new dress.
Inspect the shoes with your hands: inside they should be smooth, without pellets, uneven seams of glue or stitches. Look at the sole evenly glued, otherwise the paw may fall into the side when walking.
The best option is to make the first purchase in a regular pet store, understand what type of shoes suits your pet, and then choose in foreign online stores (Aliexpress, Ebay.com) by the standards.
There is no single standard for shoe sizes for dogs; each manufacturer has its own table of correspondences. Most often, you need to measure the length and width of the paw, as shown in the figure.
If your pet refuses to wear shoes, or you do not want to force them to wear them, there is an affordable way to protect yourself from aggressive chemicals. Before each walk, grease the paws of ordinary Vaseline - and you can safely go for a walk. The action of vaseline with active walking lasts up to half an hour.
Prostobank TV talks about ways to save money on mobile communications in Ukraine - calls, SMS and MMS messages, the mobile Internet. Subscribe to our Youtube channel not to miss a new useful video about personal and business finance.
2 year old kid loves to throw. Look what happened when his parents bought him a basketball hoop!
Follow the progress of the baby can be on the channel BasketBoy TV
5 principles of the correct choice of winter shoes for dogs
Some manufacturers label their products with our usual designations from M to XXS. The XXS models are suitable for representatives of such breeds as the Yorkshire Terrier, Chihuahua, Italian Greyhound, Toy Terrier, and other "babies", whose paws do not exceed 5 cm, and their width is 3.5 cm. Shepherd or Doberman, you will need accessories labeled M: their length and width reach 9.5 and 7 cm respectively.
In the thermoregulation of quadrupeds, the paws and the mouth are involved, and the sweat glands are present only on the pads. Therefore, too warm shoes seriously disrupt the natural processes. A nice alternative would be soft shoes with non-slip soles and a seal in the toe section. They are convenient for an active walk, during which the animal will not freeze for sure. Much worse, if the pet, shod in heavy insulated boots, will impressively move in the snow, instead of frolicking, warming in motion and thereby strengthening the musculoskeletal system.
If it is possible to try on a new thing, problems, as a rule, do not arise. Otherwise, you can use traditional methods. For example, circle the paw on a piece of paper and measure the greatest distance along the length, including the length of the protruding claws.
Often, each manufacturer offers its own size range, which takes into account not only the “sketch” of the track, but also the weight of the animal or the height of the metacarpus and the volume of the wrist. The size is selected according to the manufacturer’s special tables based on these values, but purchased shoes or sneakers should not be too tight. The best option is one size larger winter footwear to make the dog feel comfortable in it.
Is it slush on the street? Do not forget to carefully wipe the dog's shoes with a sponge dipped in warm water. Dry shoe "equipment" is possible only at room temperature. From hot air, for example when drying on the battery, the outsole can be deformed, and the shoes will be hopelessly damaged.
If you did everything right, the boots will reliably protect your four-legged friend from anti-icing agents, gasoline, broken glass and other dangers spilled on the road, prevent the pads from rubbing up on snow or crust, and do not freeze the ice between your fingers after a long walk. And finally, advice. Is your pet not yet six months old? You should not pamper him with shoes, because even the highest quality products will not benefit the not fully formed puppy paws - and then in the future problems cannot be avoided!