As a rule, such a question arises from a conscious aquarist before buying and choosing a filtration system for your water body. Of course, it is possible to let everything take its course, as many do - go and buy a filter in the pet store, which is available and offered by the sellers. But, only then do not have to complain about the sellers and regret their wasted money. Sellers have such a job - to sell the product and it doesn’t matter your fate and the fate of your filter.
Glad you looked at this page! This means that you approach this issue correctly - first read, learn, and then make a decision. After all, this approach to the business level almost all the risks of acquiring a not-good aquarium filter.
In this article we will not tell you in detail and boringly the details of various processes of filtration of aquarium water, but try to focus on the quality characteristics of the filter and the nuances of its choice, to give advice. To the same readers who are looking for where to buy a good filter for an aquarium, at a reasonable price, we recommend you pay attention to the time-tested aquarium shop ReefTime.ruthere is just a huge selection of filters. From recommendations we suggest to pay attention to a line of filters from Hydordetails of which are written here!
So, before choosing a filter, you must understand, and which filter is good for your aquarium ?! To do this, you need to think about what fish, what plants will live in your pond, how many they will be. If the aquarium is large, there will be a large number of large fish swimming in it, there will be a lot of plants, then the filter should cope with this and most effectively remove all “sewage” from the aquarium water. But, if it is a small aquarium, and you are not going to breed “sharks” in it, then I personally do not see the point of taking a powerful filter filter, you can do with a “standard” filter and thus save a considerable amount of money.
I think everything is clear here, so let's move on to the next question.
Before buying an aquarium filter, you need to find out which filtering mechanism is used in it.
There are four MAIN TYPES OF AQUARIUM WATER FILTRATION:
- MECHANICAL FILTRATION,
- CHEMICAL FILTRATION,
- BIOLOGICAL FILTRATION,
- COMBINED FILTRATION,
Let us briefly consider the principles of operation of each filter with a specific type of water filtration.
Mechanical filters and aquarium filtration
- These are the simplest and at the same time effective filters for an aquarium. Some "old-fashioned" call them "glasses." The essence of their work is very simple - the filter has a pump (motor) and an absorbent sponge. The pump pumps the aquarium water, which passes through the sponge, is cleaned. Such filtering effectively copes with the removal of large contaminants: food residues, fish excreta, residues of dead organisms, etc.
If you have a small aquarium and not very large fish swim in it, such a mechanical filter will be quite enough.
Chemical Filters and Aquarium Filtration
- these are filters providing filtering through various absorbents. The most common absorbent is aquarium coal. Also in the aquarium used and other absorbents - ion exchange resins, for example, zeolite. Filters that provide for the possibility of such filtering are more practical than mechanical ones. Since the pores of absorbent materials are able to absorb smaller particles of pollution of aquarium water, and ion exchange resins can effectively fight even the most harmful poisons - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, which are formed and gradually accumulate in the aquarium.
Biofilters filters and aquarium biological filtration
- Perhaps this is the most valuable filtering for the aquarium. Its essence lies in the presence of a special compartment in the filter for breeding a colony of "beneficial" bacteria, which multiply on a special substrate, for example, ceramics. These bacteria are important and very useful hydrobionts of any aquarium. They are involved in the denitrification process, to put it simply - they feed and decompose ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to a gaseous state. And, as many people know, NO2NO3 are the worst enemies of aquarium inhabitants, in most cases they are the primary cause of fish disease.
Combined filters and aquarium filtration
- These are filters that combine the possibility of using various types of filtration of aquarium water. Some filters have all three of the above filtering types. But, It is worth noting that even the simplest mechanical filter can be used as a combined one. That is, use in it and absorbent sponge, and for example aquarium coal.
photo biofilter aquarium combined
So let's summarize the above. If you have a small pond and not very big fish, then your choice is a mechanical filter. Such filters are not expensive, easy to operate and clean. But, if you have a large aquarium, large fish or just a lot of them, then our recommendation for you is to choose a combined filter with the presence of biofiltration. Such a filter is more expensive, more difficult to clean, but it will serve you well.
For those who still want to do mathematics or want to make an aquarium filter on their own, here is the formula for calculating the power of an aquarium filter
Buying a good aquarium filter, you should also pay attention to its technical characteristics. In a word on power. The power of the filter is determined by its ability to pass a certain amount of water for a certain period of time. Usually 300l./hour is written on the filter pack, 1000l./hour - pay attention to this.
If you do not want to bother with the calculation of the required filter capacity, then you can simply look at the recommended aquarium volumes for this filter, which are written by the manufacturers on the packaging, for example, “designed for a volume of 150l.”. However, this figure is not always true.
Therefore, we advise you to take a filter with a “recommended volume” mark an order of magnitude higher.
A rather important technical characteristic of the filter is its “noise”. Good aquarium filters are noisy, but quiet. Agree, I would not like to hear the roar of the motor from the aquarium at night, as if "a flock of night bikers travels around your bed." If possible, do not take Chinese aquarium filters or filters of unclear brands. Trademarks that have proven themselves in the market, try to make their products high-quality and silent, but such filters are much more expensive than Chinese. It is very difficult to recommend you a particular firm - there are many of them, and they are not always “branded”. But, based on my own experience, I dare to draw your attention to the AquaEL TM - a combination of price and quality.
There is still a small aspect of the technical part of the aquarium filter - this is its assembly and disassembly and accessories. Some filters, even mechanical ones, are equipped with two containers, some with one, some with additional nozzles for aeration and other gadgets, others are not. Some are easy to disassemble and clean, others are difficult. Therefore, choosing the best aquarium filter in the store, at least turn it in your hands, see the accessories, think about whether you need them or not.
Now let's consider the issue of choosing an aquarium filter based on its location.
ALL POPULAR AQUARIUM FILTERS CAN BE DIVIDED INTO:
- INTERNAL FILTERS,
- EXTERNAL FILTERS,
Internal aquarium filters
Perhaps these are the most popular and best-selling filters. Their price is much cheaper than external filters; they are easy to operate and clean. As a drawback, some aquarists point out that they occupy space in the aquarium - thereby eating up precious volumes. However, this is a controversial point, because the filter does not occupy 1/3 of the aquarium. Well, yes, it takes 2-3 liters of volume, hanging quietly in the corner. It seems to me that this is not a very significant drawback, especially for medium and large aquariums.
External aquarium filters
- these are filters that are located and installed outside the aquarium, only the tubes are lowered into the aquarium. It is difficult to give a positive or negative assessment to such a filter - someone is happy with it, someone is not. Poet simply list the advantages and disadvantages:
- a large amount of filter materials, thereby achieving maximum water purification,
- combined filtration with purification rates,
- this is a huge "bucket" near the aquarium,
- there is always the likelihood of a flood (as a rule, when the assembly is incorrect)
Mounted aquarium filters
- This is a compromise between the internal and external filter. The hybrid of both is "hanging from the outside, but working inside." These filters are not so popular among aquarists, since they work according to the principle “not yours is not yours,” perhaps its only distinguishing advantage is compactness and space preservation both in and under the aquarium.
So, summing up the above, we can recommend for small, medium and not very large aquariums (up to 200 liters) - internal filters. For large aquariums, external aquarium filters will be good. Of course, this statement is relative, because no one has yet canceled individual aspects and wishes.
Concluding this article, I would like to note that there are other methods, mechanisms for filtering aquarium water, such as the bottom filter or “false”. Such methods are less popular and have a number of advantages and disadvantages. In the future, if necessary, you can make them yourself.
I want to believe that this article has helped you determine the choice of the best aquarium filter. But, remember that no even the coolest filter will not replace the banal weekly replacement of aquarium water.
AQUARIUM WATER SUBSTITUTE IS THE BEST FILTRATION
Tip 1: How to choose an external filter for the aquarium
An external filter is a must for large aquariums. When choosing a model, one must take into account not only the quality of the filter and the volume of the aquarium, but also the convenience of its use. For most users, the main repulsive factor in the device is noise, so pay special attention to this.
The question "opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? "- 2 answers
1. Obviously, the external filter is installed outside the aquarium, so you need to plan for it in advance. Users claim that external filters are much more convenient to use than internal ones, as they are always available for maintenance. Before buying, first of all, you should find out how much power your future filter should have. It directly depends on the volume of the aquarium.
2. If you are the owner of a small aquarium, then mainly pay attention to the quality and noise indicators, because the requirements for the power of the filter are small. Carefully study the manufacturer's recommendations, the volume of your tank should be a little less than the recommended standards, otherwise the filter may not cope with their work. If your aquarium is quite large, then consider also its population density. It happens that there are a lot of inhabitants, in this case it is worth buying a filter with a large power reserve.
3. For small aquariums with a volume of 30 to 70 liters, the external filter must have a capacity of 300 to 400 liters per hour. This should be enough, even if the artificial reservoir is inhabited fairly densely. In this case, you can purchase external filter models such as the Aquael Filter MINI KANI 80, Aquarium Systems MILLENNIUM 1000 and Tetratec EX 400.
4. If we consider another group of aquariums, the volume of which ranges from 60 to 100 liters, the filter capacity should be greater. On average for this group it is 500 liters per hour. With regard to specific models - you can pay attention to the external filter Tetratec EX 600, recommended by the manufacturer volume of the aquarium - up to 120 liters.
5. For larger aquariums, the range of external filters is very diverse. Bandwidth naturally needs to be higher. For example, for a volume of 100 to 200 liters on average, it is 700 liters per hour. Such power has the model of the filter EHEIM Professionel 2224, it is designed for the volume of the aquarium up to 250 liters. To date, external filters are widely available, designed for huge volumes. For example, the model EHEIM Classic 2260 is able to serve an aquarium with a volume of up to 1500 liters, having a capacity of 1900 liters per hour. The range of external filters is really wide, so it will not be difficult to choose a model that is right for you.
Tip 2: How to choose a filter for the aquarium
The most important equipment in an aquarium is filter. Filters are needed to clean the aquarium water and enrich it with oxygen. Without filtera, maintenance and service aquarium It becomes troublesome, not to mention the health of your water pets. It is better to have this equipment available.
Remember that any aquarium filter should work constantly, without interruptions.
Do not save and get a quality filter, because it depends on the health of your fish.
It is best to take a filter with built-in: a compressor and an ultraviolet lamp (like all living things, the fish need the sun).
Types and application
The choice of filter should be made taking into account who lives in the aquarium, what plants are in it and how many are there. If the aquarium is large, there are many plants and living creatures in it, then the filter should be powerful, effectively removing all contaminants from the water. To date, there are several types of filtration of water in an aquarium:
What is the best filter for the aquarium? Consider the main features of each filtering system.
The best and most reliable filtration for an aquarium is based on a biological filter. This method of water purification assumes the presence in the filter itself of a special compartment, which is needed for the cultivation of useful bacteria. For their reproduction, a special substrate is used. Bacteria play an important role, as they saturate water with useful substances and decompose harmful substances: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates - to a gaseous state. They are the most serious and dangerous enemy for aquarium inhabitants, leading to disease and death of fish. If you are still unsure which filter should be chosen for the aquarium, consider the biological options.
External filtering mechanisms are mounted outside the aquarium, and only tubes are placed inside it. About this variety reviews are very different. Some say that due to the large volume of filter materials, maximum water purification is ensured, others note that a lot of space is needed near the aquarium to accommodate the filter, which is also expensive. Which external filter for the aquarium is better to choose?
Filter for aquarium which company to choose
Now in the whole world there is a huge number of fish lovers. Previously, these people did not care about the aquarium - except for living creatures and some plants in it there was nothing. It was possible not to think about water purification - it was already in order, it was necessary only to remember to change it regularly. But now the situation has changed. Many fish simply cannot withstand tap water unless a filter is installed inside or outside the aquarium. The production of this device involved several fairly large companies.
If you do not want to give up on a purchase, then pay attention to the following trademarks:
A high-quality filter will please not only an excellent water purification, but also a long service life - during its application many generations of fish can be replaced.
Aquael MINIKANI 80
As you can guess, this filter is designed for terrariums and aquariums, the capacity of which does not exceed 80 liters. The maximum performance of the device reaches an impressive 300 l / h. Your fish will not feel discomfort for sure! The fact that the filter is external is also important - it does not occupy a valuable place in the aquarium and does not frighten the living creatures. At the same time, the device can be positioned both below the water level and above - this does not affect the performance in any way.
Inside the device is a large amount of filter materials. If necessary, the filtering filler can be replaced by one that you trust more. To maintain the Aquael MINIKANI 80 is necessary, not very often - the specific frequency depends on the purity of the water. In total, the device supports three types of filtration - biological, chemical and mechanical. Most often in favor of such a filter, the owners of terrariums with aquatic turtles make their choice. But this does not mean that it is not suitable for aquariums with fish.
- Can be paired with a bottom filter,
- Ideal for compact terrariums and aquariums,
- Convenient access to the inside of the filter,
- Fast filtration rate
- Copes with aquariums up to 80 liters,
- Три типа фильтрации,
- Качественная работа.
- Цена может показаться слегка завышенной.
Aquael UNIMAX 250
Очень большой фильтр, устанавливающийся снаружи аквариума. Его высота составляет 25 см. Устройство рассчитано на взаимодействие с очень крупными аквариумами — емкостью вплоть до 250 л. For a maximum of one hour, this filter is able to pass up to 650 liters of water through itself. The price paid for such performance is decent power consumption - the power of the motor present here is 11 watts. There is no need to worry about possible overheating, as there is a system of protection against this trouble.
Simplified start-up device contributes to the built-in automatic filling of the filter with water. The fact of almost silent operation should please the buyer. Maintenance of the filter also does not cause any problems - if necessary, you can disconnect all water supply hoses here, for which they do not even need to be removed from the aquarium. Included with the device, the buyer will find a sprinkler that promotes additional aeration. Additionally, you can purchase a heater UNIHEATER and UV lamp AQUAEL STERILIZERUV - they will also be connected to the filter.
- Included is a sprinkler,
- Minimum noise level
- Easy maintenance,
- High-quality filtering filler,
- Handles a large amount of water
- Motor overheat protection
- Does not take place in the aquarium.
- It may seem big
- High price.
Tetra EX 600 Plus
An excellent choice for those who are interested in high performance. The filter is designed for aquariums from 60 to 120 liters. Maximum he is able to pass through himself up to 600 liters of water per hour. At the same time, the water is purified almost perfectly, since there are five types of filter elements here. More specifically, water will have to pass through ceramic rings, a traditional sponge, bio balls, carbon filler and fiber pad. As a result, the device provides chemical, biological and mechanical filtration.
On each of the baskets there is a small button - its pressing allows access to the fillers for their replacement. The hose and drain tube is conveniently regulated for an aquarium of any size. At the entrance and exit of water there is a valve - with its help its flow is adjusted. If you care about the beauty of your aquarium and want to ensure that the fish do not suffer, then nothing better than this filter is not found!
- Do not steal space inside the aquarium,
- It has in its composition five different types of filter elements
- Convenient adjustment of hoses and water pressure,
- Performance suits overwhelmingly,
- Fast filler change.
Tetra IN 600 Plus
A relatively inexpensive internal filter designed for aquariums of no more than 100 liters. It is produced by a Polish company, whose products are regularly praised by specialized publications. The design of the device can not be called remarkable, but the filter turned out to be compact - it can easily be placed in any corner of the aquarium. Its internal working part consists of two chambers for water purification, which should reduce the loss of beneficial microorganisms to a minimum.
What is important, you do not need to remove it to clean the device itself - it is very convenient. The water circulation here is configured manually by the user. The water is sent back to the aquarium through nozzles that rotate around its axis by 180 degrees. Another device is able to boast the function of additional air intake. Like more expensive fellows, Tetra IN 600 Plus carries out biological, mechanical and chemical water purification.
- Suitable even for a 100-liter aquarium,
- Optimum price tag,
- The creators have tried to minimize the size,
- Three types of water treatment
- Rotating nozzles,
- Easy filter cleaning,
- The possibility of additional air intake.
- Do not install in a very small aquarium.
Internal filters do not always cope with large volumes of water. Aquael TURBO-500 is an exception to the rule. The manufacturer assures that his creation will consistently clean the water, even in an aquarium, the volume of which is 150 liters. In maximum mode, the filter passes through about 500 liters of water per hour. At the same time, it consumes only 4.4 W - this will have almost no effect on electricity bills.
The BIOCERAMAX 600 ceramic filler is located inside the filtration container. It helps to denitrify the medium in the aquarium - this is how nitrites and ammonium are eliminated. The device also produces mechanical and biological water filtration. It is important that the device supplies oxygen even to great depths. The peculiarity of this model is that additional containers can be attached to it, purchased separately. This is important if in the future you plan to move the fish to an even larger aquarium.
- Very decent performance,
- The price tag doesn't seem high
- High quality filtration,
- The ability to connect additional baskets,
- Can be installed in a 150-liter aquarium,
- Cleaning is required relatively rarely.
Not all of us have a very large aquarium. Miniature fishes have enough of the “home”, the volume of which does not exceed 55 liters. It is for this aquarium designed internal filter Hagen FLUVAL. As the manufacturer claims, his creation should be used in nano-aquariums! It will not frighten the fish, because the water here is supplied by a system called a rotating flute. In the aquarium with this filter, you can even contain shrimp and delicate fish.
In addition to the standard filtration system, there is a compartment for the carbon cartridge here - however, it will have to be purchased separately. If we forget about it, then chemical cleaning will not be carried out. But small aquariums, it is rarely required, so you should not worry. The performance of the device, despite its minimum dimensions, is 200 l / h. The complete set of the device consists of the filter, accessories, a filler and the maintenance instruction. The device was manufactured in Italy, this is precisely because of its relatively high cost.
- Decent performance
- The design is highly reliable.
- There is a compartment for a carbon cartridge,
- Rotating jet of water, not scary fish
- Worthy mechanical filtration of water.
- By default, it does not perform chemical cleaning.
What filter for aquarium buy
1. Aquael MINIKANI 80 is primarily intended for terrariums with turtles. But it will appeal to the owners of small aquariums with all sorts of fish. It is installed behind the wall of the aquarium - the water is moving through the tubes.
2. If you need to handle large volumes of water - up to 250 liters, then pay attention to the Aquael UNIMAX 250. This is also an external filter, but already much more advanced. It works almost silently, and its maintenance does not cause any difficulties even for an unprepared person.
3. The highest quality water treatment provides Tetra EX 600 Plus. Inside this device are as many as five different filter elements! Performance can also surprise the buyer, equaling in the maximum operating mode approximately 600-630 l / h.
4. If necessary, save the best choice can be Tetra IN 600 Plus. This is an internal filter. Its capacity is enough for a fairly serious water treatment in a 100-liter aquarium.
5. In the case of the purchase of a 150-liter “dwelling” for fish, it is recommended to purchase Aquael TURBO-500 at the same time. This is also an internal filter, but it can already work with much more serious aquariums. Also, you should think about buying it in the event that you know that in the future you will need an aquarium even more.
6. For very small aquariums designed internal filter called Hagen FLUVAL. But if you want to achieve perfect water purification, then in addition to the filter you will have to buy a carbon cartridge.
How to choose the best external filter for the aquarium
External filters, undoubtedly, are more effective, do not take up space in the aquarium, provide high-quality water purification.
External filters for aquarium Eheim and Aquael
Consider the popular models, their pros and cons.
- External filter for aquarium Eheim - it is presented by modifications of Classic 2211, 2213, 2215, 2217. These filters do not undergo radical changes for 10 years, they are popular in view of simplicity of design, reliability and reasonable price. Affordable price is also related to the fact that the company completely transferred its production to China.
- Water passes through all layers of filtration.
- Reliable leakage protection.
- Expensive models are equipped with high-quality fillers, but you can buy them separately.
- Thanks to the double plug-in valves, the filter is easy to disconnect for cleaning.
- Three years warranty, service center in Moscow.
- The lack of a start button sometimes makes resorting to the “old-fashioned” method, with the help of a deep breath.
- Due to the lack of a basket for fillers, cleaning is not very convenient, and for some fillers it is imperative to use pouches.
- Compared to modern filters, the noise level is slightly higher.
- No carry handles.
- External filter Aquael - it is presented by models Unimax 150, 250, 500, 700. The company is located in Poland and successfully occupies one of the leading places in the production of aquariums.
VIDEO ON ARTICLE
Of the benefits worth noting the following:
- Very low noise level even in the most powerful models.
- They have everything necessary for comfortable operation - a pump for launching, separate containers for fillers, a carrying handle.
- Models 500 and 700 have special wheels for convenient transportation, as well as two pumps, two inlet and outlet hoses.
- Installation of the UV filter is possible.
- Three years warranty, service center in Moscow.
- Not always placed in a cabinet, so sometimes you have to install next to the aquarium.
- Not the best quality biological cleaning filler.
Also pay attention to the Tetra filters, quite popular in Russia. Their cost is democratic, while the devices work silently, reliable, convenient in operation. The main drawback is the low quality of the standard biological treatment filler.
How to choose the best internal filter for water purification in the aquarium
The choice of the internal filter should be based on the characteristics of the filtering material and the power of the compressor.
The internal filter is suitable for aquariums of no more than 200 liters.
In Russia, most aquarists prefer buy internal filter for aquarium Tetra. This universal device is suitable for almost all small aquariums, sold at an affordable price, different compact size.
Installing the device is performed on the back or side wall on the suction cups and even on the bottom.
How to choose a filter for a large aquarium of non-standard sizes
Filters are always selected for a specific aquarium. If it has non-standard sizes, difficulties may arise.
If you order a non-standard aquarium, the master must foresee the place where the filter will be installed, both outside and inside. Large aquariums, even of unusual shape, still fit external filters, and small - compact internal ones.
We offer a review of popular models:
- Tetratec EX 400. This powerful filter is suitable for an aquarium of 10-80 liters and is distinguished by the comfort of installation and maintenance. Thanks to the integrated system of automatic start during installation and cleaning, the filter does not drain the water. With power, the mechanism works quietly. It is completed with five filtering mechanisms that provides high-quality and effective water purification. These are universal filters for aquariums. Which is better for 50l? The manufacturer offers a range of models, among which you can find the best option.
- Eheim. Products of this brand are mainly represented by canister filters that work reliably, stably and for a long time. The special design is protected from leakage, high-quality filtering materials are used, due to which water is purified quickly and permanently. One of the most popular models is the Eheim Classic 2213, which includes sponges and gaskets, pipes and double taps. For large aquariums, Eheim Professional 3 2073 is useful - its volume is enough for a model of 180-350 liters. Advantage - the presence of pre-filter, which increases the service life of all fillers.
- Tetra. This brand offers to buy a high-quality and reliable external filter for the aquarium. Which is better? Manufacturers offer a wide range of models that will provide the optimal balance of water in the aquarium.
Mounted filters - a compromise between the models described above. Structurally, the models are pumps, which themselves are located outside, and work inside. They are compact, but despite this, they are not very popular with aquarists.
Another popular type of filter is bottom. The so-called false is a simple structure in the form of a plastic plate with holes - it is through them that the water passes. The filter itself is located at a height of 2 cm from the bottom of the aquarium, the ground is laid on the plate. Water passes through the soil, the bacteria in it contribute to biological filtration, so toxic ammonia is removed from the liquid. So there are a huge number of pump varieties. Which filter is the best for an aquarium? Based on the characteristics of the container and its contents.
How to choose a filter for the aquarium?
Clean water in an aquarium for fish is the same as clean air for humans. In pure water, fish are full of activity and energy. That's just the filter for the aquarium and plays this crucial role - cleans the water from various harmful impurities.
The simplest filter consists of a foam rubber sponge in a plastic housing connected to the compressor through a tube. The air passes through the compressor, dragging water with particles of dirt, is passed through the filter, where the dirt and settles. The disadvantage of this filter: when removing it from the aquarium for cleaning, most of the dirt goes back into the water. Noisy operation of this filter is also unpleasant.
Popular now and more perfect is the glass water filter. It consists of the same sponge, but already placed in a glass, equipped with an electric motor.
Filter for a small aquarium
Filters for the most common now small aquariums produce China, Poland, Italy. The cheapest Chinese filters are from SunSun. Depending on the equipment, there are just filters, aeration filters and filters with a drizzle valve, which is especially valuable for small aquariums without a rapid flow. If such a flute is placed above the water, then there is enough air in the aquarium for the fish and you can do without a compressor at all.
The glass filter produced in Poland is more qualitative in terms of its design, but also more expensive, although there is no flute sprinkler in the configuration. This mounted filter for aquarium allows you to install it in the most convenient place of the tank with the help of removable fasteners. There is also a minus in such filters - their noisy work. To avoid this, adjust the air supply well.
Filter for a round aquarium
For round aquariums, the bottom filter is the bottom AquaEl. It uses gravel to filter. The filter consists of special gratings, which can be installed as much as the size of the bottom of the aquarium will allow; gravel is piled on top of them. Water passing through the soil layer leaves there all the pollution. Places such the filter takes a bit, but it works quite effectively.
You can answer the question whether a filter is needed in an aquarium or not. The size of the aquarium does not matter: by purchasing a filter for a small aquarium, you make it a little easier for you to clean the aquarium. In the old days, when there was no such variety of accessories for aquarium in stores, they did without filters at all, but they had wonderful aquariums and wonderful fish. So if you see that your fish feel great in the water without a filter, then you don’t need additional expenses.
External filter for aquarium
The question of which filter is better to choose: external or internal, arises both before aquarists, novices and experienced owners of aquariums. In our article we will try to consider both options and find out which of them and in what situation will be the best solution.
So, let's first understand what are these filters for and how are they different.
An aquarium is a closed system, so it is very important to maintain its homeostasis. It is necessary to remove from such an environment everything that can lead to an imbalance, because it can be fatal to the inhabitants of the aquarium. Therefore, filtering includes the following components:
- mechanical filtration,
- biological filtration,
- chemical filtration.
All filters operate on the pump principle, pumping and pumping water through themselves. Mechanical filtration removes large debris from the water, such as pieces of plants. To do this, the water passes through a synthetic winterizer, foam rubber or ceramic filler. Biological filtration serves to remove rotting food residues and the like, but since porous ceramics serve as fillers for such filters, in order for such filtration to be effective, water must be driven through a mechanical filter beforehand. Химический фильтр удаляет вредные вещества за счет содержащихся в нем наполнителей-адсорбентов. Все эти виды фильтраций доступны как для внутренних, так и для внешних фильтров для аквариума.
Какой фильтр лучше: внутренний или внешний?
As a rule, external filters are more productive, and therefore are excellent for large-volume aquariums. For an aquarium with a volume of less than 30 liters, it would be advisable to purchase an internal filter; for aquariums of more than 400 liters, only external mounted filters are suitable. For volumes located between these values, you can select any filter.
When choosing a filter, first of all it is necessary to focus on its allowable volume and performance. Experts advise you to select a filter so that in an hour it will pump 3-4 volumes of your aquarium. That is, when the capacity of the aquarium is 300 liters, the optimal performance will be 1200 l / h. For very large aquariums, several filters are recommended.
External filter for a small aquarium is not very different in performance from the internal. However, the external filter is still better at least in that it is easier to handle: installing an external filter in an aquarium is easy, cleaning it is much easier, and cleaning itself does not affect the inhabitants. In addition, the external filter does not occupy the volume inside the aquarium. The internal filter is limited in size, and because of this its power can suffer. External filter for aquarium - silent.
In addition, during operation, the electric motor of any filter heats up, which can be a problem in the summer. If the external filter can dissipate heat into the surrounding air, then the internal filter dissipates heat into the water, thereby increasing its temperature. This can lead to the death of the aquarium fauna.
The external filter is suitable for both marine aquarium and freshwater. In addition, it may have advanced functions - for example, heated water or the possibility of exposure to ultraviolet rays.
The following filter manufacturers are represented on the aquarium market: Aquael, AquariumSystems, Tetratec, EHEI, SeraSerafil. If the decisive question for you when choosing a filter is price, you should know that the internal filter will be cheaper.
How to choose a filter for the aquarium?
All aquarium filters differ in their structure, filtration technology and location. Many craftsmen prefer to make such devices on their own, rather than buying a factory-made system in stores. With proper assembly, a homemade external filter is really no worse than a purchased one. But before you engage in the design of home cleaning devices, you should learn more about the varieties of filters and the principles of their work.
The aquarium filter can be external or internal. As it is not difficult to guess from the name - the external filter is located outside the aquarium and collects and supplies water through the tubes that go down into the aquarium, while the internal one is constantly inside the aquarium. The external filter undoubtedly looks much more attractive. Often, such devices for a small aquarium are the only suitable solution.
For the most part, factory production devices do not require special care. Many models are equipped with replaceable filter elements that are durable and in need of a rare replacement. All filters are working on the network.
The hinged filter for an aquarium is one of the most convenient kinds of external systems for water purification. Filters of this type are mounted on the side wall of the aquarium from the outside. They have a small size and a neutral appearance that does not spoil the overall aesthetic impression of the aquarium.
The filter should be chosen for a specific aquarium, but some tasks are not easy to solve even for experienced fans of the underwater kingdom. Which filter for a round aquarium fits best? Round aquariums - a symbol of comfort, but in fact they look beautiful only in movies and commercials. The tanks of this form have two problems - because of their shape, the walls distort the image of the fish inside, besides the round aquarium is relatively difficult to care for. Even the banal procedure of cleaning the walls at times complicated. It is not easy to find a suitable cleaning system, and often the question of whether a filter is needed in an aquarium, if the tank is round, is more than relevant.
Many experienced aquarists prefer to manually maintain round aquariums, performing partial water changes once or twice a month. Others prefer to use bottom or mounted filters. In any case, a round aquarium is not recommended to be cluttered with a large number of decorations and plants, and several large fish should not be placed in it.
How are homemade external filters made?
Making an aquarium filter with your own hands is not so difficult. You should start with the manufacture of the case. To do this, you need one cylindrical part, and two circles according to the size of its diameter for the manufacture of the bottom and the cover. Part of a plastic water pipe is perfect for a cylinder. Also need a fitting, this item can be purchased separately. In the lower part of the body should make a hole and fix the fitting.
You will need another plastic circle corresponding to the diameter of the cylinder. It is necessary to make several holes and place it on the bottom of the cylinder. The next layer should be the filtering filler. You still do not know how to build a filter for the aquarium? To do this, you need ordinary foam rubber and a special filtering ceramic filler, the layers should be alternated, all of them should turn out 4.
Silent filter for aquarium should have an electric pump, this element will pump water. Install the pump on top of the filter media.
The final stage of assembly is the attachment of two tubes. One tube is installed in the lower hole - purified water will come out through it, the second tube will go into the upper hole, with its help water will flow into the filter. The ends of both tubes should be immersed in aquarium water.
Not so important, the device of factory or house assembly is used. To preserve their functions and productive work, it is recommended to perform a full filter cleaning at least once a month. Some models of filters allow the replacement of filter elements, they are easy to find on sale.
Many novice aquarists are baffled by the question of how to clean the device? The device should be disconnected from the power supply, removed from the aquarium, all filter elements should be disassembled and thoroughly washed with clean water. Recommendations for care and maintenance are contained in the equipment manual, where you can also find a detailed assembly diagram.
You can evaluate the work of the filter by the condition of the water and the condition of the inhabitants of the aquarium. If the fish are lethargic, many of them swim near the surface - problems with aeration are possible. In this case, it is well to clean the filter, and if no changes follow, replace it. Guarded should also noticeably dirty and muddy water. This means that the filter does not cope with its main function. If one of these problems arose when using a device purchased quite recently, it makes sense to contact the store and demand replacement of the goods, since most likely there is a factory defect in the product.