Those who love fluffy creatures called "cats", certainly know such a sign that the owners of three colors bring happiness and luck to the house. It is believed that the most "happy" of them - it is Murky with coat color of white, black and red flowers.
What does this mean?
Perhaps it is this combination that explains the omen. If we disassemble all colors by values, then:
- white symbolizes purity and innocence,
- the redhead saves from diseases (such a cat brings wealth to the owner's house),
- black protects against evil spirits.
When they all connect in one representative, it turns out that tricolor cats should be valued by people more than the rest of their companions.
What do they think about the world?
In Japan, the Maneki Neko figure is placed near the front door, so that it attracts wealth and a happy fate to the house. This is a tricolor cat, which holds one paw near the ear, as if meeting a guest. According to Japanese belief, it is believed that a greeting from the owners is prosperity for their home.
In the countries of the Muslim religion tricolor cats protect the house from a possible fire. In England, it is a living symbol of warmth and protection. Sailors must keep such a cat on their ship as a sign of protection against possible troubles. And fishermen consider the tricolor Murka capable of feeling better than others the likelihood of a near bad weather.
By the way, when we say “tricolor cats”, this does not mean males at all. Just the opposite. A male cat among its furry relatives with a similar color is a very rare phenomenon. Statistics show that for three thousand cats with three colors of wool, only one male is born, for which fate “punishes” him with barrenness.
This genetic anomaly is found, as a rule, only in the "female" part of the feline "people". It is in all mammals and scientists are called alternative gene. In the female body, the set of chromosomes looks like XX, and in the male body - XY. However, in the female chromosome, in one of X, there may be symptoms that not only determine the sex, but also other, possibly unfavorable. So they are masked by an alternative gene, which in cats results in a three-color coloring.
The question of whether tricolor cats are in the breed of tortoise cats, can be answered unequivocally - no. It is due to the fact that the males do not have the second chromosome X.
Among what breeds are there?
Tricolor cats are mostly mongrel creatures. Similar coat colors are divided into two types:
- “Calico” - dominated by red and black colors,
- "Harlequin" - the cat is all white, only one sixth of its body has other colors (usually on the face, back and tail).
The fact that still tricolor cats are, we know, but they are very rare. This confirms the fact that in one American city a kitten was born, namely a male with three colors of wool. He is in an animal welfare society and is awaiting his “adoption”.
Take care of them!
So, dear readers and fans of fluffy creatures, be attentive to them! After all, tricolor cats is a rarity, and the same cats are happiness and luck. And who does not want to be happy?
Gender and Genetics Calico
Tricolor animals are usually female. Why is that? Are there tricolor cats? The answer is in genetics. The genetics of Calico cats is quite fascinating and has been the subject of serious scientific research since the 1940s. The black and orange spots that characterize these cats are the result of a genetic phenomenon called dosage compensation. Cat color is a physical characteristic associated with sex.
Females have two X chromosomes (XX), males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome (XY). Genetic coding for displaying black or orange is on the X chromosome. White coding is a completely separate gene.
In female mammals, one of the X chromosomes is randomly deactivated (the so-called X-inactivation) in each cell. In tricolor cats, the random combination of color-responsive genes that are “on” or “off” gives a spotted orange and black color.
How is the tricolor color in other words
Since female tricolor cats have two X chromosomes, they can "display" two different colors (orange or black) and white, creating a three-color spotted hue.
Since males have only one X chromosome, they have only one black or orange gene and can only display orange or black, plus or minus white, controlled by another gene.
Coat color is a complex process of interaction between dominant and non-dominant genes acting on the X chromosome. This is the basis for the formation of coat color in three-colored cats.
Tricolor cats are not always female
Tricolor cats are or not? An amazing fact, but there are, although very rarely found. Since males have only one X chromosome, the male has to have a rare condition where they have three sex chromosomes (two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome) in order to acquire a three-color coloration.
Tricolor males usually have chromosomal aberration of two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome (XXY). Cats with this chromosomal configuration are usually sterile (unable to reproduce). This is similar to a condition in humans, called Klinefelter syndrome, or XXY syndrome. These can be hermaphroditic cats that share the qualities of both sexes. There are very few tricolor cats in nature.
What kinds of calico are there in the world? Here is a simple list.:
- The classic Calico is a white cat with large black and orange spots.
- Classical tortoiseshell - a cat with mixed orange and black hair.
- Dilute Calico - Calico with an extra gene that dilutes the original colors. Black will turn gray and orange will be cream.
- Dilute Tortoisehell - a cat with mixed gray and brown hairs.
- Dilute Tortoisehell and White - a cat with mixed gray-brown hair, which has at least one white spot.
- Calico Tabby is a Calico cat that has stripes over colored spots.
- Dilute Calico Tabby - gray and cream with stripes.
- Tortie Point is a tortoiseshell cat that also has a Siamese tagging gene. Turtle color only on the face or tail of the animal.
- Dilute Tortie Point. These cats will have gray and brown wool only on the muzzle, tail and, possibly, on the paws.
5 interesting facts about tricolor cats
- 99.9% of tricolor cats turn out to be females because of their unique chromosome characteristics.
- Because of her color, October 1, 2001, she was declared the Official State Cat of Maryland in the United States.
- Given their rarity, tricolor cats are known as bringing happiness all over the world. People believe that Calico brings good luck to families in whose homes they live. In the United States they are called "money cats". In the 1870s, they were declared the official symbol of good luck in Japan.
- Once a tricolor kitty saved a railway station in Japan from closing. This happened back in 2007, when Kinokawa station was wanted to close due to financial problems. But the city administration made the local spotted cat head of the station. She began to greet passengers passing by. The enchanting creature became a celebrity, and the passenger traffic at the station increased by 17%.
- It is impossible to breed these animals, because the spotty coloring of three colors is formed by chance. They are not a genetically modified breed, so they are rare and are considered a lucky chance. They are also considered a little magical because of the three colors.
What does the tricolor color of cats
The palette of true representatives of the three-wool multicolored look may include the following colors:
- White, including, milk, ivory, cream - peace, purity, youth and integrity.
- Black, coal, slate - protection of unfavorable energy flows. Drives away evil spirits. Destroys slander and curses.
- Redhead (all shades) - health, joy, material well-being.
There are 2 types of color:
- Calico. Colors are located in large solid areas.
- Harlequin. On a white background are scattered red and black spots like patches that occupy no more than 20% of the surface of the coat. As a rule, they are deployed on the head, torso, tail.
To a greater extent, the tricolor specimen in question is found in short-haired breeds and rootless rodents.
The exception is the British, having a smoky shade, diluting all others. They do not have tricolor kittens.
By the nature of the white-red-black creatures are friendly and docile. However, it is difficult to accustom to the toilet. If you choose a specific place for departure needs, it will go there.
Do not tolerate when they are touched by strangers. It is noticed that at the receptions of veterinarians tricolor hooligans behave cautiously and aggressively.
Are there tricolor cats
Representatives of the cat family have a sex-linked gene “orange” that influences the formation of color.
It is established that the color is determined by the X chromosome. In females - a set of twentieth. In males - XY, which prevents the combination of orange and black at the same time. It happens that due to the natural anomaly, male cats are endowed with an extra chromosome X, which makes them sterile.
Omens and superstitions
In Russia, attitudes towards Murkas and Murziks differ depending on color. Black kotofey is considered a companion of witches. According to many, a meeting with such a beast does not bode well. On the contrary, combining black, white and red tones of a cat are regarded as more than positive.
There is a huge amount of superstition and will be associated with the owners of an elegant coat.
Consider some of them:
- Meeting with a cat before an important matter - guarantee of success.
- To see an animal in a dream, an embittered scratching threshold - a warning from major purchases, cash investments and borrowing money for the coming week.
- Strayed to the house - to the wedding.
- Washes face - will be guests.
- It stretches in the direction of the person - to the new thing.
- Sneezed next to the bride, dressed in a wedding dress - happy family life.
- The same next to the unmarried girl - to the meeting of the betrothed.
- Got on the way to the day of marriage - to a good and comfortable family life.
- If a bachelor at the festival drank the last glass of alcohol, and under the table is a tricolor cat - to marry. At the same time it is necessary to put milk in front of the milk, saying “You need milk, and (the name of the guy) a good spouse and a kind hostess”
- First crossed the threshold - invitation of wealth.
- Meet before an important event - to a successful outcome.
- She rubbed her legs on the street - good sign.
- He hiss - to future problems, including a warning about the induced evil eye and damage.
- To meet several trichromatic throughout the day - good luck for a long time.
- See the cat to your left - to luck.
- I ran across the road to the right for a woman and to the left for a man - there will be luck. If on the contrary - trouble.
Residents of other countries are also not indifferent to tricolor cats.
Thus, in Japan, a figure with a raised right foot is placed at the entrance to a house or apartment in order to attract happiness and monetary well-being.
The raised left foot symbolizes status and wealth. Symbols are placed near public places (restaurants, cafes, shops) to attract customers from among notables.
Sailors have long taken with them on board tricolor cats for a relaxing swim, a talisman from evil spirits and misfortune.
For some, it is fundamentally important to have a tricolor beauty. Unconditionally believe in the extraordinary abilities of the animal. Others skeptically laugh at omens and superstitions, acquiring coal beasts. Anyway, I would like to hope that tricolor pets bring wealth, joy and peace.
What caused such a "injustice of nature" in relation to males?
The genome of the main pigments is laid in the X chromosome. Each of them can contain 2 of 3 basic pigments. A set of female chromosomes implies the presence of 2 X chromosomes. Due to this, they can be combined in such a way that some of the pigments will be predominant, and variants of a successful combination of three colors in an animal are possible. As for males, their set implies the presence of X and Y-chromosomes, while the Y color does not possess a gene.
In this regard, he cannot give additional pigmentation to the animal. Thus, only females can have three basic colors at the same time, but the “fur coat” of a cat cannot be painted immediately in dark and red colors. Under the tricolor coat color they understand the presence of three basic tones in it - black, white, red. The degree of their brightness and severity may be different.
So, red can be light orange or fiery-red, black - dark gray, dark smoky, blue, etc. White, as a rule, remains white, but it can have a cream or grayish shade.
However, nature does not tire of presenting surprises, therefore the question of whether cats are tricolor or nature has only been bestowed on cats on such a prerogative can not be unequivocally positively answered. If the animal's body fails (as a rule, it happens during fetal development) and another X-chromosome joins the XY chromosome set, it has all the chances to become a “turtle”.
Such cases are unique, and such "instances" indulged in research. Unfortunately, pass
They cannot “spice up” their offspring - no matter what breed the unique three-colored cat has, it is fruitless anyway. The conclusion suggests itself - the boy “turtle” is an anomaly, and at the cost of uniqueness for them becomes the loss of the possibility of continuing a kind.
There are other observations. Many owners of such unicums claim that their pets have poor health, which affects their lifespan. This is not scientifically proven, and tricolor cats is a phenomenon that happens so rarely that there is simply not enough information to make conclusions about whether they are telling the truth.
Another interesting fact from biology. The dependence of the "red" gene on the floor is found only in Syrian hamsters and cats from all mammals.
Does breed matter?
Virtually no. It is noted only that such children are born very rarely for “British” and “Scots”, and females are no exception. The point is in the peculiarities of their color - mainly smoky, giving a lot of shades, “eating” all the other tones.
Meanwhile, among the Persian breed and short-haired animals "turtles" are found. It is interesting that the most often three-haired individuals are found among the "nobility" (i.e. mongrel cats). Such unique animals are distinguished not by breed, but by species, depending on the nature of the color.
There are two of them:
- Possessing a color calico. It assumes the presence of spots of all 3 basic colors. Wherein
there are cases when they have no common borders, but cover almost the entire body of an animal. At the same time, the pigments themselves are clearly marked, and red and black among them dominate over white,
- Possessing harlequin colors. As a rule, with this color white is the predominant color, and spots may cover its individual sections or, for example, only the tail.
"Turtles" and popular beliefs
These animals at all times enjoyed special love and honor among representatives of almost all nationalities. They have always been considered the keepers of comfort and well-being in the house. People believed (and still believe) that they protect their masters from diseases and all sorts of misfortunes.
For example, such traditions associated with "turtles" are known:
- Ever since the times of Ancient Russia, the belief has gone that these pets protect the home of their masters from harm and deprivation, bring good luck. True, it was believed that if you voluntarily shelter a pet, he will not bring great luck. He should choose the house himself and come to his future owners. For a long time, it was impossible to refuse such generosity of the future pet. Moreover, if a “little turtle” came to you (or came) on your own, it was a forerunner of good news,
- Tricolor cats are respected by the Japanese. The latter produce figurines,
depicting "turtles", and they are called maneki-neko. These products are purchased both by the Japanese themselves and by tourists. People believe that they, like their enthusiastic progenitor, are a talisman for any home, family. It is necessary to be able to choose the statuette correctly, although this is a whole science. In order not to be mistaken, you need to purchase products exclusively in Japan from a knowledgeable person who will help you choose them individually,
- Among those who honor and bestow tricolor cats and cats with special abilities, you can call the British. The first were taken on board by the sailors, believing that they would protect from the storm. If the family moves to a new house, according to belief, it needs to have a "bug". Она отгонит от него злые силы, защитит, если у дома нехорошее «прошлое» .
Трехцветные коты уникальны, потому считается, что они принесут в дом в два раза больше счастья, удачи и всех благ.
Как назвать трехшерстного питомца?
Given such a reverent attitude to the three-haired pets, and especially when it comes to the cat, the name is chosen very carefully.
So how can you call a cat if it is tricolor? Some merry fellows may offer to name their favorite Traffic Light, but it is better to choose a more dignified name for such a rare “instance”.
It is better if it is associated with luck, luck, happiness. For example, it may be Lucky (from the English. "Lucky")), Mercury or Hermes (from the ancient Greek. "Bringing good luck"), etc.
Cat lovers say that this animal is happiness in the house, and if it is tricolor it is double happiness!