Representatives of this breed, definitely, cause positive emotions - dogs are beautiful, harmoniously composed and self-confident. But the future owners of the American Akita should know - these handsome men have a very difficult character and they have absorbed the temperament of their Japanese relatives. Therefore, you should not choose a pet, based on their appearance - it is better to weigh their own capabilities.
The origin of the breed
The American Akita is a descendant of dogs from Japan and English Molossian breeds. According to some sources, these dogs belong to the oldest dogs, the images of which were found on products belonging to the period before our era. But the breed itself is relatively new, its appearance is associated with the opening of Japanese ports in 1854. Then foreigners began to visit the country en masse, and the dogs of local aboriginal breeds spread throughout the world.
Once in the States, the Akita immediately attracted the attention of breeders who started breeding, and then improving the qualities of the representatives of the breed. The Second World War turned out to be a critical period for the population of the native Akita. Most of the dogs were destroyed, but a small number left the borders of the United States - they were considered American dogs with Japanese origin.
Then the blood of larger and more powerful dogs was added to the breed, bullmastiffs, English mastiffs and other molossi were used in the work. Subsequently, in the homeland began to restore the breed, it was introduced a restriction on the color of wool in favor of traditional colors. But the Americans have relied on the breeding of larger dogs with spotted coat, which differed in appearance from the Japanese Akita Inu.
Description of American Akita
Yes, Japanese and American Akita - relatives and have some of the same features of the exterior, but the Americans have larger dimensions and a variety of shades of wool. In addition, in Akita from America, the head has a shape similar to an obtuse triangle, it is larger and wider than its Japanese counterpart. The dog has an even pronounced transition from the frontal region to the muzzle.
These are rather large dogs with a wide bone, growth males reaches 72 cm, females - 5 cm less. WeightYat American Akita 65-70 kg, while the mass of the Japanese does not exceed 45 kg. The standard describes the breed in this way:
- Eyes This dog has a small size, with a hazel iris. The nose is black, but white dogs may have brown pigmentation.
- Auricles small, in a standing position and have a slight forward bend.
- The neck is strong, with developed muscles.
- Limbs massive, strong, arranged in parallel, ending with large paws with fleshy pillows. Tail curled with a ringlet, covered with fluffy wool.
Coat straight, thick, with abundant undercoat, slightly shorter in the head and limbs. It is allowed to distinguish the length of the coat, but as for colors, they can be any. If an individual is spotted, the spots must necessarily have clear boundaries and uniform coloring. The colors of wool and undercoat may, but need not be the same.
In addition to the American Akita with ordinary wool, the long-haired variety was accidentally obtained, it is also called the Akita longline. These representatives have elongated hair, which forms “pants” on the limbs and a more abundant coating on the legs, ears and tail. The long-haired Akita is today considered the result of a genetic failure, and the likelihood of such a puppy in parents with normal fur always exists.
Once Japanese Akita were used to hunt large animals, they guarded the palaces and served as bodyguards. Naturally, the "Americans" inherited some traits and innate instincts.
American Akita are independent dogs with psychological stability. Experts warn that if you have to choose the first pet in your life, then you should not give it to Akita - an experienced owner with a strong hand is required for representatives of this breed.
American Akita dog breed photo
Such a pet will not tolerate negligence and rudeness. It should always remain calm and leadership position. In addition, the Akita needs the attention of the host, communication is necessary for her, like air. Akita can be called a peace-loving dog that barks extremely rarely. If the dog gives a voice, then something really happened. The dog is indifferent to strangers and sincerely attached to those with whom he often meets.
If the owners are waiting for the guests, then the pet will meet them culturally, but if someone invades the dwelling when the owners are not at home, then he will not be well. It is not recommended to keep a dog of this breed with other pets, as the Akita may show aggression towards them. It is better to walk the pet on a leash, as it can show disobedience, rush around the site, scaring birds and other animals.
Akita are good for small owners, especially if the puppy grew up with them. But still you should not leave the kids alone with the pet. And, besides, a noisy and agile child dog may consider a threat to the owner.
The American Akita will show loyalty to the master, but only if he deserves her respect. With the right approach to training and education, the dog will become a faithful four-legged comrade. And if you let these processes take their course, turn into a hooligan, a little controlled dog.
It is difficult to train an Akita, and without knowledge of the characteristics of the breed, it is almost impossible. Such a dog will not unconditionally perform tasks and do the same thing 100 times. Before executing the command, the pet will analyze the situation and draw its own conclusions. If he decides that the action is useless, he will not waste his own strength, energy and time on it.
Naturally, knowing such nuances, the owner is ready for the fact that the training will take a long time, will require a lot of patience and will be a test of the owner’s self-control. If this turns out to be problematic, then you should not start an American Akita as a pet, but choose someone more coherently.
The best form for training Akita is play, and besides this, the owner should learn to understand his pet. Pet does not like monotonous training, which include the same type of exercises. The dog will quickly lose interest and refuse to participate in such an event. As soon as he gets bored, you should distract him with a toy or give him a snack.
The fact that it can immediately discourage any desire to learn from Akita is the use of physical force. She is not only offended, but also angry with the owner, and it will be extremely difficult to arrange her pet and restore trust. Akita is a dog of mood, and if she does not want to do it, then it is better to accept it and in no case insist.
Care and health
Akita is a universal dog, due to its character and cleanliness, it can be easily maintained in a residential environment. She is silent, has no unpleasant smell and does not require much space. However, many owners keep an American Akita on the street, and this is also a valid option. Representatives of the breed have thick fur, protecting them from the scorching rays of the sun and severe frosts.
Of course, an apartment dog will need more frequent and longer walking tours than a pet who lives in the local area. But, even if an Akita is contained on the street, she needs to communicate with family members, especially the owner. Do not isolate the dog, as this will cause stress.
Another nuance - the representatives of this breed are very freedom-loving and at the slightest chance make shoots. Therefore, when the street maintenance is to take care of a strong high fence and provide the possibility of undermining. On runners, owners must keep their ears open, since these pets are quite belligerent and it does not cost them to engage in a fight with their own kind.
Akita has a pronounced quality of dominance, so it gets along only with those dogs that will take it as a leader. But smaller animals, including the cat, will be considered as a hunting trophy.
Caring for the Akita standard - her wool is not “whimsical” and it is enough to comb it 1-2 times a month. Like other dogs, representatives of this breed are subject to seasonal molting, and at this time the number of combing can be increased. But this applies more to pets in the apartment.
If the pet belongs to the show class and is a regular participant in exhibitions at various levels, then you can visit the beauty salon with your dog to bring his coat in order before the event. Teeth, ears and claws also need attention. It should be regularly inspected and processed when necessary. Most often, the claws grind off themselves, but if this does not happen, then you should purchase a special claw cutter and trim them as they grow.
It is important to know:
How much is a puppy American Akita
On the territory of Russia, representatives of this breed can be found quite rarely, and if Japanese akits are still found, then American ones are very rare. But still in large cities there are nurseries breeding such beauties. The cost of puppies depends on which class puppies belong to:
- You can buy a puppy without a pedigree for 10,000-12,000 rubles. Of course, there are risks to get a bloodthirsty animal or a puppy with vices.
- Pet-class puppy, which is not suitable for breeding due to any deviations from the standard, but healthy, will cost about 15,000 rubles.
- Kids who have both a pedigree and admission to mating, but because of minor flaws who are not capable of becoming champions at exhibitions, are in the area of 20,000-30000 rubles.
- If you need a high-pedigree dog, which will become the owner of various titles, then you should choose a puppy from the segment of posterity of the show class from titled parents. The minimum price of such a treasure is 50,000 rubles.
The American Akita is a large, hardy dog that knows its price and does not “spray” on trifles. Needless to say, its owner must be a resolute and confident person. Only such a tandem - the pet - the owner, is doomed to successful interaction and will make of Akina a full-fledged family member - loyal and obedient.
Akita Inu is the oldest Japanese dog breed. Archaeologists were able to detect the clay figurines of these animals, which were made in 2 thousand BC. e. Presumably, the breed was bred when crossing dogs from the northern regions of the country with large Chinese dogs, go.
These animals were always popular, but more often they were used by residents of the north-west of Japan. There are records dated VI century, where the rules of breeding and education of these guard dogs are written. Muscular and strong, they participated in the hunt for boars, deer and bears.
After signing a treaty of Japan with the United States (1854) on the opening of ports, foreigners flooded the country. Many of them brought four-legged friends with them. In those days, no one controlled the crossing of native breeds. Therefore, purebred Akita began to rapidly disappear.
Only in the 20s of the last century, the government paid attention to these animals. The "Society for the Conservation of Japanese Breeds" was created. This organization began to lead, as in ancient times, tribal books. Resume dog shows. The organization officially recognized several Japanese breeds, including Akita.
During the Second World War, work on the restoration of the species was stopped. The livestock of these amazing dogs has dropped dramatically. And, probably, the breed would be completely lost if the government of the country had not stood up for it after the war. The number of purebred dogs was controlled by government agencies.
These animals became parents of the renewed breed. Carefully selected dogs without the "European" impurities. The hard work of the breeders bore fruit by the end of 1963, when the breed was officially recognized.
The modern dog of this breed, both Japanese and American Akita, is significantly different from the old aboriginal dogs of Japan. To verify this, you need to look at the stuffed legendary dog Hachiko, which is exhibited at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Tokyo. The ancient Akita outwardly looked simpler and had a fiercer temper, since they were used for hunting and protection.
Akita in Europe
Interestingly the fate of these animals in Europe. Both Japanese and American Akita are known here. Characteristics of the breed for a long time was the same for both branches. These dogs took part in exhibitions as equals, as representatives of one species. Only by the end of the 80s of the last century did Japanese canines finally determine the exterior of the Japanese Akita. They brought her as close as possible to spitz-shaped dogs with a “fox” head. In addition, individuals with spotted color and black mask were excluded from breeding. These features are different American dog Akita, which has a "bear" head.
Since 1996, in most countries, these breeds are recognized as independent. Only Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom did not make this decision. In these countries for breeding using dogs of two types.
The American Akita dog is a large animal with a massive build. She has a big bear head. The ears are erect, triangular, set at a slight angle.
Akita's eyes are small, dark, set deep. Akita Inu American has a thick double wool. Paws "cat", dense, with protruding bones. The tail is curled on the back, often forming a single or double ring. The standard allows any colors except spotted.
Adult males have a height of 66-71 cm at the withers and a weight of 45-59 kg. Adult bitches are a little smaller: 61-66 cm tall and weigh 32-45 kg.
Akita American (owner reviews confirm this) has a strong hunting and guarding instinct. This must be taken into account when educating. Many owners note that an animal is calm, balanced and devoted to its beloved master, like Hachiko. However, they argue that the respect of handsome men must be earned. Education with the help of force is strictly prohibited. It simply will not have any effect, except for the insult and bitterness of the animal.
From a very young age you should teach your pet and develop the best qualities in it. Otherwise, he will become a naughty dog. American Akita training should be in the form of a game. An inexperienced owner will most likely need the help of a professional trainer. This work must be done before the puppy is 3 months old.
As for relationships with children, this is one of the most friendly dogs - American Akita. Characteristics of the breed suggests that the pet gets on well with the guys, especially if you are familiar with them from puppyhood. But this calm animal has its own view of the world. The dog does not like excessively noisy children's games. In this case, your four-legged defender will try to restore order and disperse the "offenders." Therefore it is better not to leave him alone with children.
Akita owners will more than once encounter the hunting instinct of their pet. The dog will pursue all small animals. That is why in the city limits Akita should be displayed only on a leash. She can chase a stray cat, chase a bird. And all this will be done in silence and very intently.
What else can you say about the Akita American breed? Reviews of the owners allow us to conclude that this dog will appeal to people who are not too fond of loud barking. Akites are silent by nature, so they won’t bark in vain. Only in exceptional cases do they cast a vote. For example, to drive a stranger away from a protected area. Akita stingy on emotions. Only the love of the owner, she expresses, not restraining herself: she is ready to lick him completely at a meeting.
Care and maintenance
As already noted, these animals have a massive and heavy bones. Therefore, dog handlers point out that American Akita puppies should not be overloaded physically. Do not allow four-legged teens to carry heavy objects (many newbies in dog breeding try to do this for the development of muscles), as the puppy's ligaments, joints and muscles should become stronger. This is achieved as a result of a balanced diet and age-appropriate loads.
Luxurious Akita wool does not require complex care. Only during the molting will need regular grooming. Much more often have to meet with a hairdresser exhibition dogs. Wool is treated with special compounds to make it more voluminous.
In the apartment of the American Akita it is stuffy and uncomfortable. This dog needs air and space. But if, after all, you brought her in the city, then you will have to walk with your pet often and for a long time. It must be said that the American Akita rarely gets along with their relatives (representatives of other breeds). В компании других собак всегда старается быть лидером и нередко провоцирует драки. В этом случае не помогает даже ранняя социализация.
Щенки американской акиты
Если вы решили завести такого питомца, прислушайтесь к мнению кинологов, касающемуся выбора щенка. Вначале вам необходимо выбрать хорошо зарекомендовавший себя питомник, занимающийся разведением этой породы. Затем ознакомьтесь с родословной родителей.
Of course, one cannot be 100% sure that their champion titles guarantee a quality and healthy litter, but, nevertheless, gives hope that the puppies will be no worse than their parents.
Ask the breeder if the dogs were tested for health. In Russia, only dysplasia tests are taken into account, vision is not taken into account. Such tests are conducted by a specialist who is licensed to carry out such activities. Only adults are subjected to the procedure, the results are entered in the pedigree.
Do not choose a puppy in a hurry. A breeder who respects his work is interested in that the future owners of the dog know as much as possible about this breed, and not only about its merits, but also about its shortcomings. The specialist always wants to meet in advance with the future owners, draws attention to their social circle, character and interests. As for potential buyers, for them such preliminary meetings also carry a certain interest. They allow you to make sure that the babies with the mother are kept in appropriate conditions, and the breeder is a person with whom I would like to continue to maintain relationships.
It is necessary to know that the American Akita breed, the price of which is quite high, has (as, indeed, any other) its advantages and disadvantages.
In all atlas of dog breeds, the guard abilities of these animals are noted. They are excellent guards at home, and this does not require special training. The dog is calm, solid, reasonable. For strangers applies wary, but without undue aggression. Because of its balanced temperament, it rarely barks. If you hear a pet barking, do not disregard it. This means that the dog warns of the approach of a stranger or of some danger.
The American Akita, a breed characteristic of which suggests that this dog is quite jealous, prefers to be the only pet in the family, but if it is properly raised, it will be able to get along with other pets. Akita has a good character, smooth and calm, well trained, but is notable for its independence. Self-confidence and excessive autonomy are traits characteristic of the nature of these animals. Therefore, the dog should be made from an early age to understand that the owner is the leader, the “leader of the pack”, whom she must unconditionally obey and respect.
Description of American Akita
The American Akita dog breed is suitable as a companion for people of any age. This cheerful dog with a good-natured character, will win the heart of his master and will be faithful to him all his life.
The dog has an adequate psyche and it is suitable as a guide for a person. The dog does not react to cats and without nerves perceives claps and harsh sounds. Big American Akita will not attack a person without aggression on his part and will never offend a child. The huge and fluffy dog endures the caress of the youngest family members.
Features of the breed not only in size and character. The coat of this breed is pleasant to the touch. It is soft and looks like a plush one. This dog is just made for constant caresses and hugs. Sly Akita understands what feelings a person has and behaves impudently in an apartment. A fluffy dog happily sleeps in a chair or on a bed next to the owner.
Exterior of a large Akita
The first breed standard was adopted in 1972; it reached us unchanged. Breed description must meet the following standards:
- Telebuilding. A stocky dog with a large and heavy bones. Body length in relation to height at withers - 9/10.
- Back. Straight and wide, with developed muscles.
- Stomach. Dry, taut.
- Chest. Rounded form, deep, with developed muscles.
- Neck. Smoothly flowing into the body, short and wide. According to the standard a small suspension is allowed, but it is better if it is absent.
- Muzzle. Slightly elongated, but voluminous.
- Nose. Not long, with a rounded tip and straight back. The transition from the forehead to the face is pronounced. The earlobe is usually black, but in dogs of light color, depigmentation occurs, which is not considered a marriage.
- Ears. Small, in the form of triangles, standing on thick cartilage.
- Eyes. Small, triangular shape. The outer edge is slightly upward. Color brown or black, puppies with light eyes are rejected.
- Jaws. Powerful with developed teeth. Scissor bite, but according to the standard, let's say straight. There is a light suspension on the bottom of the jaw.
- Lips. Fleshy, painted black.
- Tail. Fluffy and long. Twisted into a loose ring. Straight tail dogs are rejected.
- Paws. Front straight, during the stand are strictly parallel to each other. The hind legs are muscular and broad. The claws are powerful, tightly assembled.
- Wool cover. Consists of a soft and long awn and thick undercoat. Long hair on the caudal and cervical zones, short on the paws and muzzle.
- Color Unlike the Japanese Akita, any colors of the animal are allowed. There are individuals with different color undercoat and awn.
- Growth. The cable is larger than a bitch by 1-11 cm and has a height of 66 to 71 cm. The size of the bitch is from 61 to 66 cm.
- Weight an adult dog reaches 35–45 kg.
The average life expectancy of 11-13 years. How many dogs live depends largely on their nutrition and content.
American Akita Character
Reviews of owners and breeders are mainly related to the following features of the Akita character:
- The dog’s sweet temper stands out. Even an aspiring breeder will be able to raise an American Akita.
- Pet does not respond to cats and birds during a walk. Cables are picked only by other male dogs.
- The big Japanese dog will never get into a fight first and will not show aggression towards other animals in the house. Cats, small dogs and even rodents get along well with this breed.
- The pet is very sensitive to the change of mood of the owner and will try to calm the upset family member.
- Convivial character manifests itself every minute. The dog will be a participant in all games of children and will be happy to accompany an adult during walks and sports activities in the open air.
- The dog does not tolerate loneliness and falls into depression with a long separation from the family.
- Despite the good-natured nature of the American breed is able to stand up for themselves and their master. The dog is suitable as a guard and bodyguard.
- The characteristics of the pet includes good stamina and patience. The dog is able to wait for its owner sitting at the store or anywhere for several hours.
- A pet with thick hair loves to swim in open ponds in the summer.
The dog is suitable for keeping in an apartment and a private house. It tolerates climatic cataclysms, low and high temperatures. At minus 30, the dog sleeps quietly in the booth without insulation.
Among the diseases of the large American Akita there is a predisposition to the following:
- Retinal atrophy. The disease does not appear immediately and, progressing, leads to partial or complete loss of vision.
- Congenital eye pathologies: microphthalmia, cataract, retinal dysplasia, volvulus torsion. Manifest in a puppy immediately. Such dogs are rejected and not allowed to the ring. For such a dog will require additional care, so the owners before buying warn of the presence of pathology.
- Inversion of the intestine. Occurs after a meal. More often in pets with a wide chest. As a preventive measure, the owner must control the portion size of the animal and prevent the pet from taking activity after eating.
The breed has an anomaly in the composition of the blood. In a perfectly healthy dog, red blood cells can be elevated: K + and microcytosis. This leads to an erroneous diagnosis of hyperkalemia. Experienced specialists, exploring the blood of Akita, immediately separate the plasma and red blood cells. This makes it possible to make a more accurate diagnosis.
Before the change of milk teeth, the puppy is vaccinated against viral diseases: hepatitis, distemper, enteritis, parainfluenza. Re-vaccination is carried out once a year. Vaccination against rabies is done at the request of the owner.
American Akita has a good appetite and a penchant for overeating. Pet portions are controlled from a very early age. How to feed the American Akita depends on the choice of the host and the peculiarities of the pet's health.
The number of servings depends on the age of the puppy:
- from one month to two - every 3-4 hours. Serving size from 150 to 250 ml.,
- from 3 to 4 months - 4–5 times a day. Serving size 250–300 ml.,
- from 5 to 6 months - 4 times a day. Portions increase to 0.5 - 0.9 l.,
- from 7 to 8 months - switch to three meals a day. Portions from 2 to 2.5 l.,
- from 9 months the dog is transferred to an adult disposable diet. Serving size up to 4 liters.
Feed Akita better ready balanced food. Ready dry or wet food is best suited:
- Hill’s Science Plan Advanced Fitness,
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition,
- Monge dog maxi
- Bosch High Premium Adult Lamb & Rice.
If the dog is contained on natural food, you should consider the size of the dog and the peculiarities of its health.
Balanced nutrition consists of the following products:
- Lean meats.
- Cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt with fat content up to 2.5%.
- Groats: buckwheat, rice, rolled oats.
- Vegetables and fruits.
In the diet are not allowed:
- fatty meats,
- semi-finished products
- sausage, canned food,
- wheat groats and wheat flour products,
The natural diet is supplemented with vitamins: 8in1 Excel Multi Vitamin Adult, Unitabs Brevers Complex, Beaphar Doggy’s, Radostin, Canina V25.
The picture shows the most common color of the American Akita - dark with white paws, chest and tip of the tail. Dark color may prevail or cover the body in small spots.
Puppies of this breed will conquer the heart of any breeder with their appearance and spontaneity.
Victoria: “One of the most intelligent and adequate breeds. Unlike sled dogs will be able to protect its owner and his property. But the dog will never rush to a person without negative manifestation on his part. ”
Daniel: “The breed is suitable for both adults and teens. The main thing is to raise a puppy correctly. Akita does not tolerate when something is demanded of her, but by showing a little patience in training, the host gets an impeccable and obedient friend. ”
Olga: “American Akita are larger than their Japanese ancestors. This is a powerful pet with a muscular body, but a kind and sensitive soul. It seems that the dog understands you without words. Having started Akita once, you no longer want to have another breed. ”
Characteristics of the American Akita breed
American Akita (Large Japanese dog) - a large breed bred in the mountainous regions of northern Japan.
During its existence, the American Akita experienced various periods, its ancestors were used to hunt bears and to participate in dog fights, they were favorites of the nobility and survived a period of oblivion. And during the Second World War, she was on the verge of destruction (as well as many other breeds).
After the war, American soldiers who returned home brought several individuals to America, where the breed gained popularity due to the ability to quickly adapt to different conditions of detention, and the number of their representatives increased accordingly.
In 1956, the American Akita Club was established. In 1972, the American Akita was recognized by the American Kennel Club and listed in the Stud Book.
Today, she is an excellent companion, watchman, excellent service dog and guide for people with disabilities. Every day the number of admirers increases, she simply enchants with the appearance of a bear cub, through the eyes of a wise old man and a strong athletic body.
Brief description of American Akita dog breed
- Other possible names: Large Japanese dog, American Akita.
- Adult dog height: in the male - 66-71 cm, in the bitch - 61-66 cm.
- Weight: 50-65 kg / 45-55 kg.
- Characteristic color: any tone - from white to dark brown and black with spots. Many have a mask on the face. White dogs don't have it.
- Wool length: on the back and croup the length of the hair is about 5 cm, on the face, neck and ears is short.
- Lifespan: 10-12 years.
- Breed advantages: in a faithful host, silent, protective qualities and peace-loving. The dog can be used as a guard and as a companion. Neat and odorless.
- The complexity of the breed: There are practically no flaws in the American Akita. She is extremely focused on communicating with the owner. In the case of his long absence, the behavior of the Akita may become worse. Sometimes it happens that a dog has a hunting instinct towards cats and other small domestic animals.
- average price for a puppy of American Akita: in nurseries from 1000 to 3000 dollars.
The history of the origin of the American Akita
Despite the word "American", this breed is from Japan, like Akita Inu.
After the Second World War, the American soldiers took with them several puppies they liked from Japan. On their basis, a few years later, a breed was bred, named Big Japanese dog. A little later, it became known as the American Akita.
11 years after the end of the war, the American Akita Fans Club was created, and 16 years later (in 1972) the breed was recognized by the American Kennel Club.
Despite the official recognition of the American Akita, the Japanese Kennel Club refused to enter into an agreement on the recognition of pedigrees and to interbreed with export dogs.
- The American Akita is more massive and higher than Akita Inu,
- wool has more choices of coloring and much thicker,
- The character of the American Akita is more pugnacious.
What is American Akita intended for?
Akita has excellent hunting qualitiestherefore, it was often used as a hunter. If this quality is suppressed in a dog, then it can manifest it unexpectedly for the owner by attacking a smaller dog or a cat living with an Akita in the same house for a walk.
In addition to hunting, representatives of this breed are excellent watchmen. They will always protect your home to the end. In the event of a threat to the owner, his family or home, the dog will fearlessly defend.
In addition to the first two qualities, American Akita can boast of tolerance and peace-loving. Unless, of course, educate them properly. They will calmly accept the friends of the hosts, whom they will often see. Peacefully treat children. But as Akita's nanny, it’s better not to use - there is danger, as with any other large breed.
American Akita Character Description
We have already mentioned some traits of this breed. Let us consider in more detail what these and other features are.
Main character traits American Akita:
- Devotion. Like most dogs, the American Akita will be selflessly devoted to its owner.
- Peace loving. With proper upbringing, the dog will get along fine with other pets.
- Patience. The dog may sit quietly long enough while the master's children jump around him and try to pull their ears. As long as his patience is not exhausted, it is still better to reason with the children.
- Independence. Training Akita gives in well, but it is necessary to approach it wisely. The dog will not do for a long time what it already tired. You can’t do with a patterned upbringing from a book, you need to look for an individual approach.
- Calm. The large Japanese dog (BLS) is an extremely calm breed. She will never bark just like that. But if he feels threatened or hears the presence of an alien, he will give a signal. It is better to treat with attention the silent quadruped barking.
How to choose a puppy American Akita
Choose a puppy and not make a mistake - the main task of the one who decided to start a dog at home. First of all, determine for yourself what you need a dog for. Different qualities of character are not suitable for any role of a dog in your life.
Having decided to buy a puppy, go to a breeder you trust or who has been on the market for several years. Do not be lazy and look at the Internet addresses and reviews.
- Sure to look parents your future puppy. Kids inherit their parents, so pay attention to the appearance of the bitch and a dog, as well as their behavior. If the puppy's mother or father is aggressive or cowardly, then the puppy may turn out to be the same.
- Consult with the breeder. An experienced specialist will always tell you which puppy is better to take for hunting, which one for the show, and which one for the children and at home.
- Do not take too small the dog. Even if the breeder assures you that this particular puppy will be perfect in all respects. Professionals up to 9 months do not assign exhibition class dogs. The maximum estimated prospect puppy for future exhibitions.
- Sure to pay attention to the appearance a puppy. There should not be red, watery eyes, bloated tummy, twisted knees or elbows. A puppy should not be too thin. Wool should be shiny and soft to the touch, like a plush toy.
- If possible, pay attention to the dog's litter. If you are confused by color and texture - better refrain from buying.
- The puppy must be active. Drowsiness is a sign of a dog's depression, and this is the first sign of illness.
Nicknames for American Akita
Requirements breeders that the name of the American Akita began with the letter, which will begin litter, and will be present in the name of the breeding prefix. Само же имя можно придумать сами, стараясь, чтобы кличка была оригинальной и хорошо звучала вместе с приставкой.
Подходящие клички для сук американских акит: Акина, Юрико, Чоко, Хоши или Хошико, Чико, Чиби, Фуджи, Тенши, Тоши, Суми, Мики, Анеко, Момо, Сакура, Мичико, Катана, Ичиго.
What to feed American Akita
In the conditions of the modern city it is hard enough to cook natural food for a pet: it is difficult to find 100% natural products, and it is not always convenient with time.
Modern companies offer a wide range of feed and supplements for dogs of all breeds and ages. For a puppy of American Akita perfectly suited premium feed for puppies of the corresponding age group. These foods contain all the necessary elements and vitamins, therefore, they are good nutrition.
First time puppies You can give low-fat cottage cheese, kefir, boiled eggs, boiled chicken and fish. Many dogs love to feast on fruits: apples, pears, bananas. But then look at your puppy's tastes.
Feed at a certain time so that the puppy is used to the routine. By six months, he should eat three times a day, and by nine months - only two.
Make sure the sides do not swell after a meal. Do not overfeed the dog.
All dog handlers in one voice forbid to give dogs bones, cartilage, raw fish, fatty cheeses, as well as chocolate, pies, bread and other similar products that only harm the puppy's digestion.
Adult dogs It is recommended to feed 2 times a day. The easiest way to use ready-made feed for adult dogs. Better from the premium segment. Can be fed feed containing fish. American Akita will never abandon it, as in their historical homeland, in Japan, fish is one of the main components of the diet.
Never do not mix feed and natural food. It is better to alternate if you want to feed the dog not only feed. In this case, the fruit is best given as a treat, rather than on an ongoing basis.
Advantages and disadvantages of the American Akita
- Akita are very faithful and loyal friends,
- terrific hunter
- silent guard
Disadvantage this breed has one: too independent. The American Akita herself decides when to play, when to sleep, and when she can be trained. Because of this trait, many owners have difficulty communicating and training.
Reviews of American Akita
We have completed a training course with our Akita. Training required a lot of time and attention, as well as an individual approach. Shepherd dog training methods are not suitable for her at all. Also, it is important that the puppy is already well socialized before moving to the owner.
Our American Akita loves children and is disrespectful to them affectionately, but in the game, in the heat of the moment, they can drop their son and trample down, but he doesn’t mind either. And to the younger daughter, she is very anxious, she feels that she is still very small and fragile.
How much a puppy costs in clubs depends on its pedigree. The most expensive puppies have an elite pedigree and belong to the show class. The price of an elite puppy in Russia starts at 40,000 rubles, in Ukraine from 19,000 UAH. Cheaper pet class. Puppies without pedigree can cost from 10 000 r. or 4 800 UAH.