Otitis is a common disease in cats. These animals are more susceptible to the development of meningitis and deafness due to the long-developing inflammatory processes in the ears, so it is important not only to be able to recognize the onset of otitis in cats (symptoms), but also to be able to prevent this condition.
Otitis Cats: General Information and Causes
The organ of hearing a mustache pet consists of 3 sections - the outer ear, middle and inner. According to the inflammation of a department, there is a classification of inflammations.
External otitis occurs most often - it is most easily cured, relatively quickly and predominantly without complications. But with a late visit to the veterinarian or improper treatment, inflammation easily passes into the internal departments.
With otitis media, recovery occurs without complications only with timely diagnosis and proper treatment. Deep otitis or otitis of the inner ear is the most dangerous pathology that has the most consequences and complications (deafness and meningitis), not excluding cases of death.
Otitis cat sick of any breeds and ages. There is no particular breed predisposition, but there is a high incidence in old and weak animals.
The factors provoking otitis, are divided into:
- primary (directly provoke inflammation of the ears),
- secondary (complicate primary inflammation, but are not direct causes themselves, provoke purulent otitis).
Primary causes of otitis
- Parasites. The most common cause of inflammation in the ears. For parasites that cause otitis, include fleas and ticks. They damage the skin and mucous membranes, and waste products provoke irritation and inflammation. Everything always begins with external otitis, quickly moving into the deeper parts of the organ of hearing.
- Hypothermia Rain and drafts are unequivocal enemies of cats. If water gets into the ears, it stagnates and becomes an excellent environment for the development of pathogenic bacteria. When hypothermia decreases the immunity of the animal, which can no longer restrain the development of conditionally pathogenic microflora, causing inflammation in the ears.
- Neoplasms or foreign objects. Any foreign formation (a tumor and something from outside) in the ear canal hinders the release of sulfur, as well as annoying the ear receptors, causing scratching and anxiety of baleen pets. As a result - inflammation and otitis.
- Fungi. In the process of reproduction in the ears, fungal patagents destroy the surface layers of the animal's ears. The fact that the cause of otitis is of fungal origin can only be determined during laboratory tests. Usually, fungal otitis accompanied by fungal skin diseases of the cat.
- Allergies. Most often, allergic otitis media occurs on medications and certain foods. Allergic reactions of the body are almost always accompanied by itching, the animal combs the ears, injuring them and making the entrance gate for bacteria.
- Injuries. Scratches and scratches should be treated with antiseptic or wound-healing agents in a timely manner to prevent the development of otitis.
- Reduced immunity. By reducing the overall protective functions of the body, anything can provoke otitis: any disease, injury, metabolic disorders, etc.
- Autoimmune diseases (for example, leaf-like pemphigus). The essence of autoimmune diseases is that the native cells of tissues and organs are recognized by the animal's immune system as foreign. The body makes all attempts to get rid of these cells. This process is always accompanied by signs of inflammation.
- Hormonal disorders. Lack or excess of sex hormones, thyroid or glucocorticoids affects the state of the cat's ears. A deviation to either side of the level of these hormones can trigger an inflammatory process,
- Spreading coat in the ears. Excessive amount of hair in the ears provokes excessive secretion of earwax, discomfort or / itching. In the process of scratching the auricles are damaged, they become infected, inflammation occurs.
- Yeast infections (malassezii) and bacterial pathogens (Escherichia coli, strepto-and staphylococcus).
This name of pathogens while maintaining the integrity of the skin and mucous membranes of the ears otites themselves do not provoke. They significantly complicate their course, changing the clinical picture and significantly lengthening treatment. Middle and internal otitis are not always the result of external complications. There are a number of completely independent causes that provoke inflammation of the internal departments directly.
Causes of otitis media and deep otitis:
- Injuries to the temporal bone or other parts of the skull near the ear canal.
- Perforation of the eardrum due to external factors (shock, loud sound), and in the form of complications of external otitis.
- Cancer growths with penetration inside the ear.
In cats, the vertical and horizontal canals of the ear canal are almost on the same straight line, so any pathological discharge during inflammation easily flows to the auditory membrane. When purulent otitis is observed its perforation (rupture or dissolution), through the opening of which pus and other fluids can get into the head, affecting the brain. In addition to deafness, meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain) can develop; in severe cases, the animal may die.
When inspecting the ears is observed:
- redness and swelling of the outer surface of the ear canal,
- traces of inflammatory or parasitic secretions (dirty yellow, gray, black and with an unpleasant odor),
- the presence of visible damage to the ear from permanent scratching, as well as wounds and sores under the deleted contents.
These signs indicate otitis externa, and this is a weighty reason to apply to the veterinary clinic!
With average and internal otitis observed:
- ear pain (sometimes does not even touch),
- increase not only local temperature, but also general,
- with a long purulent process, signs of general intoxication - general depression, lack of appetite, vomiting,
- head tilted to the side of the patient's ear, slightly bent, the cat often trots its head and at the same time meows,
- obvious purulent outflows from the ear (especially if the integrity of the eardrum is damaged), a squishing sound is possible when massaging,
- droop of the eyelid and lips on the affected side, if the facial nerve is affected by inflammation,
- in especially prolonged cases - purulent dissolution of the ear cartilage and the auditory ossicles,
- sudden jumps of cats and fear with unexpected pain lumbago.
When the disease passes into a chronic stage, the clinic may not be so obvious:
- pet anxiety from intermittent pain,
- seal of the skin around the entrance to the hearing aid, as well as near the auditory membrane (visible only during an instrumental examination with an otoscope).
- Allergic otites are accompanied by hypersensitivity reactions in other parts of the body (urticaria, itching, swelling, etc.),
- with otitis caused by ear mites, there is a dirty-brown discharge, after cleansing which there may be bleeding sores and wounds. Usually both ears get sick at once,
- with otitis caused by the presence of excess moisture in the ear canal, the discharge will always be liquid consistency, regardless of their characteristics (transparent or turbid, serous or purulent),
- fungal and bacterial otitis often have a dirty yellow discharge with a specific odor. Ears are hot. The diagnosis is made on the basis of laboratory cultures, when specific pathogens of the inflammatory process are identified,
- in otitis media caused by excessive hairiness, hair is found deep in the ear canal. Before starting treatment, hairs are removed,
- - during tumor inflammation or due to ingress of foreign objects, during examination, the immediate causes are revealed - in fact, neoplasms and extraneous elements. Usually detected when viewed using an otoscope.
Otitis Photo at Cat
Otitis treatment in cats at home
Self-treatment with the use of "some drugs from otitis media," purchased independently in the vet pharmacies can lead to irreversible consequences, so this is prohibited. To treat inflammation of the ears at home can only be prescribed by a veterinarian drugs. Improper otitis therapy easily translates them into a chronic form.
Chronic otitis media is intermittent pain, persistent relapses, repeated courses of medical therapy and non-stop preventive measures. At the time of exacerbation, the disease turns a kind and tender pet into an aggressive animal, often not even giving in to the hands. This form of otitis always progresses and in the most advanced cases sometimes requires surgical intervention, which is not a fact that will help. With any suspicion that the cat had problems with the ears, it makes sense to immediately take her to the vet.
What you can do at home:
- carefully examine the ears, determine if there is pain,
- gently remove (shave) the excess hair from the ear canal,
- wash with a cotton swab moistened with hydrogen peroxide, auricle, soak existing crust. Lubricate the wounds with wound healing antimicrobial ointments or brilliant green solution,
- drip 2-3 drops of Otinum or Otipaks preparations: preparations from a human pharmacy that have antipruritic and analgesic effects in order to eliminate possible animal discomfort,
- Gently brush the ears inside with a solution of boric acid or furatsilina. The excess moisture is wiped with gauze napkins or vymakivaetsya loose cotton swabs,
- drip prescribed veterinarian anti-inflammatory ear drops for cats.
What can not be done!
- Try to clean the ears of the animal, if you have never done this!
- It is strictly forbidden to self-medicate!
- You can not clean the cat's ear canal without anesthesia with obvious signs of pain (one-time pain is enough for it not to be given later for examining the ears and treating them).
- It is not recommended to use hydrogen peroxide for ear cleaning, as it causes noise during the formation of oxygen foam, which scares the animal. This solution is only suitable for external treatment of the ears.
- You can not warm the affected ears.
We clean the ears correctly
It is better for two people to clean the cat's ears so that the assistant keeps the animal for convenient access to the one who will carry out the cleaning. If there is no helper, you will have to fix the animal, wrapping it in a thick terry towel or blanket.
The procedure for cleaning the ears in the period of illness is unpleasant and can be painful, so you need to be prepared for the animal to burst out and scream!
- The ear is turned outward to open access to the “auricles” (this is not difficult).
- A cotton swab is dipped in any oily medicinal ear cleaning solution and gentle cleaning of the cavity begins in all corners, clearing large pieces of dirt and bloom, and then small ones. As the wand becomes dirty, it changes. Continue the procedure until the ear is completely clean.
- The second is similarly cleaned.
- You can not stop at half done, as if the cat is not mewing and not breaking out.
- You can not stick the wand too deep, because the risk of damage to the eardrum and hearing loss is too great due to the fact that the ear canal is almost straight. Inflammatory (parasitic) plaque is cleaned only in places that are freely visible to the eye from the outside, it is forbidden to go deep into!
- To drip the drug from otitis media, make a soft massage of the ear to distribute the drug throughout the ear cavity.
The diagnosis of ear inflammation is made on the basis of a clinical examination with an otoscope and laboratory analysis of the contents of the hearing organs to determine the cause and specificity of the disease. In special cases, an x-ray may be needed, as well as tests of urine, blood and, in some cases, an antibiogram (to determine the sensitivity of microorganisms to certain antimicrobial agents).
The whole treatment regimen will depend on what caused the inflammation. For example, in case of fungal otitis, drops with an antimicrobial effect not only do not help, but also aggravate the pet's position, killing the entire ear microflora and allowing fungi to develop with greater intensity.
The medical care of the veterinarian is based on the following principles:
- relieve pain and eliminate possible itching in the ear,
- examination, preliminary diagnosis, collection of material for its clarification,
- local anesthesia, sometimes there is a need for a Novocain blockade,
- treatment and treatment: treatment of auricles, thorough cleaning of the ears, instillation of appropriate medicinal preparations. Drops from otitis for cats can be dripped only after the ears have been completely cleansed of inflammatory or parasitic-fungal contents, i.e. the solution should fall on clean skin and mucous membranes,
- when purulent otitis is detected, systemic antibiotics and / or antimicrobials are prescribed, since it is impossible to cure such a form of inflammation with one drop,
- in case of damage to the auditory membrane, ototoxic antibiotics are not prescribed, i.e. those drugs that have a detrimental effect on hearing (norfloxacin, rifamycin, or ciprofloxacin),
- with a general deterioration of the condition, it is possible to introduce solution-detoxicators,
- Immunostimulants and vitamin-mineral complexes are almost always prescribed.
Otitis treatment has some peculiarities, depending on the reasons that caused it:
- for inflammation provoked by ticks, pre-prescribed acaricidal (from ear mites) means,
- when fungi are found in cat ears, ear fungicides (antifungal drugs) are used,
- Bacterial and purulent otitis require treatment with systemic antibiotics and antimicrobial drops simultaneously,
- in particularly advanced cases, surgery may be necessary - an artificial puncture of the tympanic membrane, deep cleaning and intensive antibiotic therapy,
- Otitis caused by allergies or hormonal abnormalities in the body are usually treated with antihistamine and corticosteroid drugs.
Prevention of ear inflammatory diseases
Almost all preventive measures to prevent the occurrence of inflammatory processes in the organ of hearing are reduced to the usual rules of the content:
- periodically, but on a regular basis to conduct inspection of the auditory canal of a pet and clean it from accumulated earwax with special means. No need to go deep into the ear canal. Preventive cleaning is to clean only the inner surface of the ear,
- avoid prolonged exposure of the cat to damp areas, which may cause the risk of hypothermia,
- try not to get water into your ears while bathing (if this happens, it is recommended to blot the internal auditory canal with a loose cotton swab),
- regularly carry out preventive treatment for fleas and ticks, and also exclude contacts of the domestic pet with yard and homeless,
- carry out the treatment of ticks and fleas of all surrounding pets, as well as care and maintenance items for the pet.
Otitis is very dangerous for its consequences. It is unreasonable to engage in self-treatment of a pet, risking, literally, not only its health, but also life.
Good day. I have a cat of 5.5 years old, an ordinary breed, sterilized, walks on the street freely, but with the onset of frost sits at home. A few weeks ago I noticed that the ears are dirty. Cleaned with tick and otitis remedy in cats. The cat even liked it - apparently it was itching, and I scratched it. A couple of weeks again, the dirt. This remedy ran out and threw out the vial and bought another Otopheronol, but it turned out to be very smelly and burned (I tried it on myself). I went to the vet, said it was not a tick (looked under a microscope), suggested an allergy, called a remedy that they had over and sold "Anandin." And he is also very hot! They also told me to switch to dry or wet food and buy it from them. I feed raw chicken, more precisely, minced meat. For two days on dry food and "Anandine" the ears got completely sore, strong combing appeared, which was not there before, the cat became sluggish, screaming and breaking out strongly when burying. I basically trust this vet, she has been watching us since 4 months. Twice saved life, but now, something takes me doubt. Tell me how to help the cat?
Hello! I would get a little more information than just "dirty ears." Moreover, with a single treatment, the mites are not treated, so it is not surprising that after 2 weeks everything happened again. For ticks, there are characteristic secretions that are recognized even without microscopy (black-brown, resembling dry crusts or plasticine in advanced cases). Also, the microscope could not show anything due to processing. Что сейчас конкретно в ухе? При любом воспалительном процессе в уши ничего спиртового капать нельзя — не удивительно, что кошка кричит и вырывается! Сначала снимается воспаление, затем только можно использовать спиртовые растворы. Если ест гной — ничего капать нельзя, кроме перекиси, которая гной вымывает своей пеной.Buy Otidez and apply according to the instructions. These are oil drops, which contain components from fungi, allergies, ticks and an antimicrobial component. Immediately I warn you, if there is blood in the ears, then such ears should not be cleaned until healing. What kind of allergy washes, if you fed a cat a chicken all your life and everything was fine? In general, the ears are always treated for a long time and difficult in animals due to the characteristics of the anatomical structure.
Tell me, please, if the cat had blood when cleaning the ear, can Otidez be buried? Perhaps combed his ear.
Street cat, in the ears of "black" discharge is not, there are some grayish-yellowish-whitish discharge.
Earlier, the cat was treated by the Inspector at the withers, his ears were cleaned with Cliny lotion, yesterday he used it again and saw blood. Also gave the cat Sinuloks 50mg * 2 p / d.
Thanks for the answer.
Hello! It is impossible to clean the ears in the presence of blood. Grayish-whitish discharge is sulfur mixed with fungal deposits. Any drugs in the ears can not be combined with lotions, because Lotions usually create a protective film on the inner surface of the ear, after which drugs will not work. You can clean it with the same finish - dip a cotton swab or cotton wool tweezers into it and clean it.
Otidez can be, but it is better to achieve a state when there is no blood. You can pour 0.5 ml of hydrogen peroxide into the ears by gently soaking up the residue after the solution stops foaming. Then just on the side, after 15-20 minutes.
Sinuloks if started to give, then the course of 5 days will have to finish, no matter what.
good day! my cat's ear ached. and we turned into a veterinary clinic, there they scratched his ear, they could not stop the blood, they said that the cat has otitis. They prescribed B12 vitamins, dioxidine, and some medicine was given in a syringe, we had to prick for 2 days, we pierced at home as we were told, but there was no improvement, We turned again to veterinarians, gave amoxicillin and otipax injections, ear was washed with furacilin, but there was no improvement . Flows pus. Maybe you can help with anything.?
Hello! You can cure it, but not as fast as you would like. When purulent otitis with blood to clean the ears is prohibited! In Otipaks, there is nothing therapeutic at all - there is only anesthesia. What you need to do: pour ordinary hydrogen peroxide into the sore ear - 1-1.5 ml (with a syringe without a needle). Peroxide its foam will raise the surface of the pus and stop the blood. Pour in, wait for the end of the "hiss" and gently, gently deeply promakivaem residual liquid and wipe the ear. Repeat the procedure. Then pour 0.4 ml of dioxidine into the diseased ear with a very, very neat massaging. We do this in the morning and in the evening until the pus is removed. Immediately I warn you, Kitsyunya will kick, so fix well. This is not from pain, just the sounds of hissing peroxide cats scary.
When the pus disappears, it is necessary to examine the ear, how much inflammation there is, and how much the surface of the ear canal is reddened inside. The best drops in the ears when otitis is alcohol. But they can not drip, where severe inflammation (intense redness, ulceration). Therefore, it is better to take oil: start with Otidez - 10 days according to the instructions, and finish with Kandibiotik (in the human pharmacy) 14 days. Drops will drip already in both ears - for treatment and prevention. Everything will be fine if there is no hemangioma in the ear - the severe bleeding that you described may be associated not only with the inflammatory process, but also with the vascular tumor in the ear canal. This can only be determined by the doctor during an internal examination with the help of special tools.
Thank you very much, I hope it will help.
Hello! On Friday (July 13) they turned to a doctor with fever and pus and blood in one ear. On examination, the temperature was 40.8, a growth in the ear, otitis, and small wounds from a fight with a cat that same morning. The temperature was shot down that evening, they appointed otibiovin. On Saturday, I felt good. The temperature rose from Saturday to Sunday. At 3 in the morning, an antipyretic injection was put on the advice of the doctor’s doctor (analgin + noshpa + diphenhydramine by 0.3), the temperature dropped, but by 7 am it rose again to 40.2. On Sunday (July 15) we went to another doctor, changed the ear drops for surolan, injected antipyretic. However, the temperature kept around 40 and higher all day, in the evening of the same day they again turned to the veterinarian, put a injection of flexoprofen (later they appointed him 7 days a day), at night the temperature subsided. On Monday (July 16), the temperature was still maintained, but at level 39, the cat became a little more cheerful, became interested in food - ate very little, mostly licked the liquid part of the wet food, about 8 times a day, took the injection in the evening with flexoprofen, the temperature during examination was 40 6. After returning home, the cat ate a little, the temperature subsided at night, today (July 17) the temperature was measured in the morning - 37.8. In the morning there were repeated examinations, the wounds dried out, there was no blood and pus, but there were small yellow discharges that the doctor cleaned, the temperature was 39.8. Today, after the inspection, the cat does not eat at all, is sluggish, the tongue is light, I drink water with a syringe, I do not want to drink it - it spits out. I suspect dehydration. The temperature is kept, just on the advice of the doctor, they independently put an injection of analgin + dimedrol at 0.3.
Tell me, please, how long can the temperature hold? Is this normal? What should we do? How to help the cat?
Hello! Horrible! It is NOT normal for so many days the heat! Purulent otitis is not treated without antibiotics. In addition, I want to note that already the forecast on the state of the animal is cautious, because there is a risk of sepsis! Be sure to start a ceftriaxone course! 1 fl. Ceftriaxone diluted in 5 ml of water for injection, dissolve well and enter in 1 day 2 ml intramuscularly, then 1 ml for another 6 days. Every day is better to breed a new bottle. Total 7 days course.
Rinse the ears at least once with hydrogen peroxide (0.5 ml each) - this is an excellent test for the presence of purulent secretions without having to crawl into diseased ears. If there is foam, then there is pus, continue washing with peroxide in the morning and in the evening, until the "hiss" passes. Next, the usual ear drops, which include levomycetin (chloramphenicol) and drip according to the instructions for the drug, which one you will find.
And stop unnecessarily putting antipyretic injections! This very much puts the liver, which, in fact, is already happening with the cat, judging by the auxiliary symptoms described by you. If you refuse to eat, you can support the animal by subcutaneous administration of 5% glucose, 25 ml 2-3 times a day.
The doctor decided not to prescribe an antibiotic, since blood tests were good. The cat ate today 2 times while I was drinking rehydron. Otitis of a bacterial form, forgot to add. There is no pus in the ears anymore, today the doctor examined. How to be now? Still prick antibiotics?
What does the tests? Purulent otitis is always accompanied by antibiotic therapy - this is a truism. The animal has a high temperature, the cause of which you do not eliminate, but simply plant the liver with antipyretic cocktails and medicines. Obviously, even if the ears no longer hurt, the signs of an internal infection are still there, and this infection is clearly not viral, because the number of days exceeds the life cycle of the virus. The temperature just does not hold in animals, it is one of the most important diagnostic signs of ill health.
Thanks for the help! They changed the doctor, prescribed cefotaxime, 1 injection has already been done, we will prick further. Tell me, please, if his temperature rises, what to do? Shoot down or wait until the fall itself? I understand, continue to unsolder rehydron? because he does not really want to drink, he eats at least once a day steadily. Also, of course, we’ll contact the doctor. I forgot to ask such things from my experiences.
Regidron water - this is a neutral solution by reaction, which well normalizes the electrolyte balance during dehydration. Overdose it is impossible, so do not be afraid. The animal itself will not drink it, it is bitter-salty, so you can pour a syringe of 5-15 ml at one time several times a day through the toothless edge.
About the temperature. I think that after the start of antibiotic therapy, it will no longer rise more critically. But in general, you need to be judged by the behavior of the animal at high temperatures: if it feels relatively normal, then do not shoot down, if you immediately lethargy and lack of appetite, bring it down. The temperature is reduced by a mixture of dipyrone analginum (without no-shpy) or tolfedinom (veterinary antipyretic).
Thank you so much for the consultation! Tell me, please, how effective is Sinulox? The doctor has so far canceled Cefotaxime, for fear of ARF or OPH, since the cat had dark urine. Today, the urine is normal, but the temperature still holds (at the morning measurement of 38.8), usually it does not rise above 39 already. The cat became a little more affectionate, but mostly hides, although at night it sleeps in its usual place. How much longer can the temperature hold?
Normal body temperature in cats is 37.8-38.8. 39 should be alerted, but under certain conditions, this may be a variant of the individual norm after such a protracted state of ill health, so to speak. The dynamics are positive, everything goes as it should.
Sinulox is certainly weaker than cefotaxime, but it can also help if the inflammatory process in the body is not very severe. If you are afraid of ARF, just take a blood test and that's it.
Sorry, please, that I constantly appeal to you, but unfortunately, the only doctor I trust now is you. We walked around 3 doctors, none of them inspired confidence, we are still in search of a good doctor for a cat. The temperature of the cat was completely asleep today (when measured in the evening 37.6, in the afternoon it was just warm to the touch), at night 20.07 it rose over 40, it was necessary to shoot down analgin + Dimedrol, July 18 and July 19 was between 38 and 39.5. I also have a feeling that at night the temperature of the cat is slightly lowered - cold ears, curl up in the legs, sometimes there is a slight shudder through the body (of course, I warm the cat immediately under the blanket, it stops shaking). The cat is weak, sleeps a lot, sometimes shows activity and begins to “give a voice” (usually talkative) and caress, eats itself, but not much, you can’t force it with a spoon, gnaws greens well, drank it with water. The chair returned after an absence of 4 days, did not write for a day (although it may have left a puddle somewhere, sometimes it does).
2 days they gave a sululox (against his background, the appetite decreased greatly and lethargy appeared), the doctor decided to change to another, today (20.07) they pierced cefotaxime (0.5 ml 2p / day). In the first half of the day, the appetite was better than it was in recent days; in the second part of the day I almost did not eat.
The doctor suspects papilloma under the tumor, and, accordingly, the papilloma virus in the cat. I understand that without inspection it is difficult to say, but still how justified is his diagnosis? If this is a virus, according to the doctor, is it worth continuing to prick antibiotics to a cat? Although, of course, after the antibiotic treatment, the cat's condition was a little bit, but it improved. I'm afraid of the negative impact on internal organs, because the cat was vomited 2 times in a row with bile water at 10 pm while I was drinking it with water (is it possible because of this?)
I beg you to help and give at least some predictions.
There was no repeated vomiting during the night, the cat has not eaten since yesterday. Should I feed on my own or wait until he wants to? There is always at least once a day, usually more often. Should I start to prick anandon? The doctor offers this treatment option, but how justified is it? I really do not want to once again cause discomfort to the cat, I am afraid to make it worse.
Hello! It is not very good that there are jumps from one antibiotic to another. The main thing is to complete the course of any antibiotic. In order not to disturb the cat, cefotaxime can be administered once a day, but 1 ml.
Anandon? I think this is a typo and you are offered Anandin. You can try, in any case it will not be worse, besides, there is a course of introduction all 3 days. The main thing is that there is no renal failure - in this state the drug is not used.
In general, to be honest. If you came to the reception to me and even with such a history of the disease, then I would definitely send a kisyunya to a complete blood count and put a drip. The fact that the animal has suffered a serious infection is a fact. We are now dealing with its consequences.
According to analyzes, a cat develops decent anemia, there are residues of inflammation and signs of terrible immunosuppression (depression of immunity). I did not see any signs of a clear viral infection. I suppose problems with the liver and kidneys, because anemias with these pathologies go straight, like thread after needle over a vicious circle. Hence the problems with urination, appetite and the work of the entire gastrointestinal tract.
According to analyzes, the procedure is as follows: finish antibiotics, antiviral drugs are allowed, but not as a way to combat the alleged papillomavirus, but as a stimulant of immunity. It is better if it is cycloferon. Be sure to start the fight against anemia: the very first thing - enter into the diet raw liver and vitamins B12 and B9 in any form (this is necessary and as soon as possible!). Gradually, the state will begin to normalize.
Thank you so much. We are waiting for the results of biochemistry, we continue antibiotics and we will select further treatment according to the results of tests. Can immunosuppression occur on the background of an infection and weakening of the body, or is it a sign of VIC? How dangerous is this condition?
Hello! My cat is 7 years old, the Scottish Straight breed is sterilized. In summer, she walks in the country in the area of the plot, sleeps in the house. With the onset of cold weather, he lives only in an apartment. In mid-June, he began shaking his head, scratching his right ear with his paw. The ear was reddened, a yellow-brown discharge appeared, the temperature was normal. She turned to the veterinarian. They took a smear from the ear to the otodectosis. No ticks were found. Treatment was prescribed: Oridermil ointment 10g. Once a day, brush your ears with chlorhexidine-KR. She treated both ears for 21 days. The beauty went away, the discharge became much less, but there was no complete convalescence. When re-applying on July 9, 18, they took smears from the ears, found the Malassezia mushrooms in the right side more. They assigned CANDIOBIOTIC with 2 drops of 3p. per day.Then ointment miconazole and clean with boric acid. This treatment caused redness of the ears. Turned to another clinic to another doctor. Appointed again, odermyl ointment, 2 or 3 p. on the day of 14 days. The treatment did not give proper results, residual effects remained. I ask you to help. Thank.
Hello! If the animal has really Malasseziosis, then it is necessary to add vitamin preparations and immunomodulators to the main local treatment. Avoid allergenic food. Malassezia is constantly present on the body of animals, and begins to develop actively against the background of a weakened immunity and an imbalance of the bacteria-fungi. In addition, any fungal diseases are treated for 3 weeks or more, periodically changing drugs, so as not to provoke addiction. In some cases, systemic antifungal drugs may be administered orally. To those drugs that have already been prescribed, I would add Otidez to the ears, the usual oral Nizoral and any vitamin immunomodulator for a long time, which you have access to where you live. Dosages according to the instructions or appointments of the veterinarian who supervises your pet.
Hello. On vacation in another city, I accidentally had to pick up a Scottish Fold cat from the street. As it turned out she had purulent otitis. Was transported to the veterinary clinic in the city. Drops in the ears should be prescribed 3 times a day after chlorhexidine treatment. 2 weeks dripping. Reappeared the vet. When viewed revealed tumors in both ears. The doctor said to continue to drip for a long time. Ab has not appointed. And nothing else. Puss in puss is less, ears do not smell. But when cleaning it is still pus! I read that ab should be prescribed necessarily, and drops should be changed. In principle, I inconsistently and seeding. The doctor did not prescribe anything (((. Can you please tell us the tactics of managing such patients. Change the doctor? Or is everything appointed correctly? What to do with the tumor?
Hello! They took a kitten from the street. In appearance he is two months old. Atoned for fleas cleaned by hand, because she was afraid to poison the small. Cotton wool with peroxide cleaned ears. In one ear pus with a smell. She poured a few drops of peroxide, waited until the hiss was gone, dabbed with a cotton swab, but a little deeper than the shell, the pus remained on the walls. I am deeply afraid to climb, the temperature is 39.5. Appetite is good, sleeps a lot, moves a little, I have not yet settled in, I think. I read that for a kitten 39.5 it is within the normal range and I read your answer above, I’ll buy some droplets, I'll do everything. Question: Is it possible to do without antibiotics in our case with washing procedures, drops and ointments?
Photos, symptoms and treatment of otitis
Otitis in cats can not be overlooked, because the cat immediately shows that there is a problem with the eye.
- The cat shakes his head, tilts his head in the direction of the patient's ear, pinches the ear, gently stroking it or scratching it with the paw or on furniture, sometimes it combs up to blood.
- If you examine the ear, it will be pronounced inflammation of the skin, possible swelling, scratching, bloody wounds and sulfur accumulation.
- Progressive inflammation is accompanied by a large release of sulfur or pus. If you press the ear in the cartilaginous part a little, you will hear a squish. Also, strong inflammation is accompanied by an unpleasant smell.
- The cat becomes less active, more lies, does not make sudden movements of the head.
- The pet does not allow to touch the head or ears, it may meow from pain.
- Severe otitis media can cause inflammation of the facial nerve, jaw drops from this.
- Sometimes the temperature rises.
Do not ignore the cat's condition at all, since ear inflammation can go to the brain membrane.
External inflammation (external otitis in cats) is treated fairly quickly, the inflammation does not reach the eardrum.
Inflammation of the middle ear - The most common form of otitis when the inflammatory process has affected the eardrum. Treatment requires the intervention of a specialist - in this case, the disease will not turn into a chronic form, and recovery will come soon.
Inflammation of the inner ear is a severe form of otitis. Inflamed eardrum and vestibular apparatus. Often this form of otitis leads to deafness. Purulent otitis of the inner ear is dangerous for sepsis.
How to recognize inflammation of the inner ear
At the initial stage, this form of otitis does not differ from ordinary otitis. Kisa shakes her head, tilts her toward the inflamed ear. With the progression of inflammation in the cat, twist the muzzle. If an eye is involuntarily twitching, this indicates inflammation of the brain. Also a clear sign of a worsening of the situation is a lack of coordination of the animal - the cat constantly stumbles upon objects, epilepsy is possible. Otitis is diagnosed in a cat only in a veterinary clinic after a series of manipulations.
Ear Otitis Drugs:
- Oricine (relieves inflammation, relieves pain, relieves ear mites).
- Ciprovet (pills) - kill pathogens.
- Dexamethasone (human pills). Assign as antiallergic, anti-inflammatory, antitoxic cf.
Otitis purulent treated antibacterial agents and antibiotics penicillin series. Also help:
Dosage is calculated by a specialist, depending on the factors of the disease.
With severe pains, they inject Novocain.
Be sure to use immunomodulators:
If otitis has a fungal cause, home treatment provides an effect on the pathogen. This function is coped with. anti-fungal ointment:
as well as antifungal / antibacterial drugs Amoxicillin (antibiotic tablets), Amphotericin B, Ketoconazole. Check dosage with veterinarian.
Otitis prevention in cats
For the prevention of otitis, it is enough to carry out simple measures: keep the house clean, cat litter, house litter, prevent the animal from being drafted or cold, clean the ears regularly, check for scratches or scratches, and see if the ear mite has started.
At the first sign of abdominal pain, contact your veterinarian. Do not be arrogant, because the inflammatory process that affects the brain can lead to deafness, seriously harm the health of the cat, and in some cases be fatal.
Causes of Otitis In Cats
In modern veterinary medicine, inflammation of the outer, middle and inner ear is well studied, which allows to identify the following causes of the development of pathology:
- Parasitic diseases caused by ticks of the genus Otodectes, Notoedres and Demodex. Ear parasites, gnawing in the skin of the passages, produce waste products. This leads to infection and the development of an inflammatory reaction in the auricle. Parasitic otitis are characterized by itching and severe anxiety of the animal.
- Allergic manifestation. The incorrect reaction of the body is most often produced by pollen, dry food, dust, household chemicals, drugs. At the same time, specific protein substances are synthesized that irritate many organs, including the skin of the hearing organs.
- Bacterial, viral, fungal infections. Microorganisms are not only the cause of local inflammation of the ear tissue, but also lead to a general reaction of the body in the form of fever, intoxication.
- Injuries, getting into the ear canal of foreign bodies. Free-range cats often get wounds while climbing trees, in fights with their relatives, dogs. The wound surface is an excellent medium for the development of viruses and bacteria and, as a consequence, the occurrence of an inflammatory reaction.
- Irregular hygiene of the ear canal. Some pets are prone to enhanced sulfur formation, which must be periodically removed. Neglect of this hygienic procedure leads to the accumulation of sulfur in the ear canal, infection by microorganisms and the development of inflammation.
- Often the cause of otitis are autoimmune diseases.
Predisposing factors causing inflammation in the auditory canal of cats are:
- hypothermia, drafts,
- water entering the ears when bathing
- low immunity, reduced resistance to infections.
Fluffy pet owners should also be aware that some breeds of cats have a genetic predisposition to otitis. Most often, the disease is observed in representatives of the British and Scottish Fold breed.
Symptoms of otitis in a cat
Inflammatory phenomena in the auditory canal have characteristic features that are not covered by the attention of the observant owner:
- Secondary fungal infection of the external auditory canal
Anxiety of the animal. The cat often rubs his sore ear with a paw, tries to scratch it against objects (furniture, legs of the household). Sick pet constantly shakes his head. Sometimes the owner can observe how the animal tilts its head in the direction of the pathological process, walks with a twisted neck. Combing the ear with the paws can be up to the blood due to severe itching.
The intensity of the manifestation of certain symptoms largely depends on the severity of the infection, the resistance of the pet's organism and the type of inflammation in the ear canal.
Types of ear inflammation
Specialists in the field of veterinary medicine in domestic cats distinguish inflammation of the outer, middle and inner ear. This classification is based on the anatomical structure of the organ of hearing and the involvement of certain components of the organ in the pathological process.
External otitis is the easiest and most quickly eliminated form of inflammation. At the same time, tissue damage is observed in the visible parts of the ear, not spreading to the eardrum.
Otitis media - A widespread form of the disease in which the eardrum is affected. This type of inflammation often becomes chronic. With proper treatment, inflammation of the middle ear has a favorable prognosis.
The most severe and dangerous form of illness for a pet is inner ear inflammation. The defeat affects not only the eardrum, but also goes to the vestibular apparatus. Internal otitis is often the cause of the acquired deafness of the animal. Inflammation of the purulent nature of the dangerous transition to the meninges and the development of sepsis.
Otitis can also be one-sided and double-sided. In the first case, there is a lesion of one ear, in the second, inflammation is observed in both ears.
Bilateral otitis on the background of food allergies
According to the nature of the development process, veterinary specialists distinguish between acute and chronic otitis media.
Diagnosis of internal otitis
Inflammation of the inner ear, in contrast to the pathology of the outer and middle sections, is characterized by more severe clinical manifestations. In the first stages, the symptoms differ little from external and otitis media. As the disease progresses, there are signs characteristic of inflammation of the inner ear.
A sick animal sits with its head bowed. The pathology of the facial nerve develops. A sick cat has blepharospasm, torsion of the muzzle. Owing to the paralysis of the facial nerve, a sick pet often develops problems with swallowing and thirst quenching.
The development of such a symptom as nystagmus (involuntary trembling of the eyeball) indicates brain damage. Nystagmus can be observed both horizontal and vertical. The fact that the brain is involved in the inflammatory process is indicated by nervous symptoms: impaired motor coordination, epileptic seizures, and stumbling of the cat on objects.
A veterinary specialist establishes a diagnosis on the basis of anamnesis, characteristic symptoms, otoscopy, laboratory diagnostics. In some cases, the doctor will prescribe a biochemical and complete blood count.
Otoscopy is a study of the auditory canal with a special device, usually carried out after anesthesia. Manipulation allows to determine the integrity of the eardrum, detect the presence of foreign bodies, tumors, inflammatory phenomena.
In addition to endoscopic examination, the diagnosis of a smear taken for bacterial seeding is used in the diagnosis. This procedure also allows you to determine the sensitivity of pathogenic microflora to antibacterial agents.
Otitis treatment in cats depending on the type
Therapeutic measures for any form of otitis should not be carried out independently. Treatment must be prescribed by a veterinary specialist, taking into account the shape and severity of the pathological process. As a rule, the therapy of inflammation of the ear canal is complex.
First of all, treatment begins with the removal of dirt and purification of the ear canal from exudate, crusts, dirt, etc. This is done using gauze cloths moistened with a disinfectant solution. As home antiseptics fit:
- 3% boric acid,
- chlorhexidine solution,
- 3% hydrogen peroxide,
- furatsilina solution,
- solution miramistina.
In case of severe purulent inflammation in the conditions of a specialized clinic, deep surgical cleaning of the ear canal from purulent masses is performed.
After cleansing the affected ear from dirt and exudate, treatment with drugs prescribed by a veterinary specialist can be carried out.
Medications such as Sofradex, Dexamethasone are prescribed as ear drops in the treatment of otitis in animals. Of the veterinary drugs, Aurikan, Uricin, Surolan, Anandin, Otibiovet, Tsiprovet, Tsipam, Ottedin are used in cats.
For information on how and what to treat otitis in cats, see this video:
When a purulent form of otitis takes into account the pathogen that led to the development of the disease. If the inflammation is bacterial in nature, the antimicrobial therapy is prescribed to the sick animal.
Cephalosporins, macrolides, and penicillin antibiotics are effective as antibacterial agents. Before using antibacterial drugs, it is necessary to conduct a sensitivity study.
A good result is the use of amoxiclav, ampicillin, amoxicillin - antibiotics of the penicillin group. Of the cephalosporins most commonly used: cefazolin, ceftriaxone, cefixime.
Of the macrolides in otitis in cats, erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, spiramycin is effective. The dosage, as well as the duration of the course of antibiotic therapy, is established by the veterinary specialist in each particular case.
In case of severe pain syndrome, anesthetic drugs are prescribed to the pet or a novocaine blockade is performed. Recovery occurs faster with the use of immunomodulators and vitamin complexes. As drugs that enhance the protective properties of the body, are used: nucleopeptide, hamapren, glycopin, salmozan.
Treatment of fungal otitis (otomycosis), in addition to hygienic procedures, involves the use of specific tools aimed at combating mycoses. Antifungal ointment based on nystatin has a good therapeutic effect: Panologist, Oridermil, Clotirmazole, Nystatin. In addition to local treatment, apply the same anti-fungal and antibacterial drugs of general action: Amphotericin, Ketoconazole, Amoxicillin.
Otomycosis in the cat
The best effect is achieved when the pathological material is sown for sensitivity to antifungal drugs.
In the treatment of any form of otitis, it is important to provide the sick pet with proper conditions: a dry and warm room without drafts, peace, and the absence of stressful situations.
Causes of Otitis Cause in a Cat
The organ of the representatives of the cat family consists of three sections:
The cat's ear consists of three sections - the outer, middle and inner
Depending on which department the inflammatory process takes place, otitis is classified. External or average otitis with timely detection and proper therapy can be cured pretty quickly. Deep, or otitis of the inner ear, is considered one of the most dangerous pathologies, which is fraught with serious consequences and complications.
Otitis can cause an animal of any age. The causes leading to the onset and development of the disease may be different:
- Parasites. The vital activity of fleas and ticks leads to the development of otitis quite often. The inflammatory process begins in the outer ear and, if left untreated, moves rather quickly into the depths.
- Allergy. Allergic otitis can be caused by taking some kind of food or medicine. The itching accompanying the disease causes the animal to constantly brush problem areas. The resulting microtraumas become breeding grounds for bacteria.
- Neoplasm or foreign matter. A tumor or an object in the ear prevents the release of sulfur, and also irritates the internal receptors. The itching that causes it causes the pet to feel anxious and to itch constantly, which provokes inflammation.
- Injuries. Scratches and other micro-injuries that are not treated with antiseptics and wound-healing drugs can provoke inflammation.
- Fungi. Otitis can develop against the background of fungal lesions of the skin.
- Low immunity. If the body is not sufficiently protected, any disease or injury can provoke inflammation.
- Overcooling or ingress of water. Drafts and moisture can cause serious harm to the health of the animal. The water inside the auricle becomes an excellent breeding ground for bacteria. Hypothermia weakens the body's defenses, with the result that it can not fight pathogenic microflora, which contributes to the development of inflammation.
- Hormonal disruptions. Any deviation in the level of hormones can trigger the development of otitis.
- Autoimmune pathology. In the presence of such a disease, the immune system takes the animal's native tissue for foreign and tries to get rid of them. Against this background, and develops inflammation.
- Inadequate hygiene. In some animals, earwax is formed in excess. Untimely its removal contributes to the accumulation and development of pathogenic flora.
Yeast infections and bacteria complicate the course of otitis. For them, the favorable environment is the mucosa and skin, the integrity of which is broken.
Complications of the external type of the disease do not always lead to the development of otitis media and internal. There are a number of reasons that directly provoke inflammatory processes in deeper sections. These include:
- injuries of the temporal part of the skull,
- perforation of the membrane due to various external factors
- tumor growths.
The neglected form of pathology, purulent otitis, leads to rupture of the membrane. Through the opening, pus enters the head, causing brain inflammation and deafness.
Symptoms of various types of otitis
Под наружным отитом понимают воспалительный процесс, протекающий непосредственно в ушной раковине. Он лишь незначительно захватывает слуховой проход. If you do not start his treatment in a timely manner, the inflammation will go into deeper sections. It is easy to notice that the pet has problems with its ears, because pathology has a number of characteristic signs:
- the animal shows anxiety, scratches the ears,
- cat ears become red,
- discharge from the ear canal - exudate.
With otitis of the outer and middle ear, the inner surface of the pet's auricle becomes red and swells
In the absence of therapy for the external type of the disease, otitis media can affect the deeper ear sections and turn into a purulent form.. Purulent otitis can develop not only due to the complication of the external type of the disease, but also with the defeat of parasites, microbes or yeast infections. It is characterized by discharge from the ear (yellow, gray or black) with an unpleasant odor, swelling of the auricles, and an increase in overall body temperature.
Otitis media in a cat is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- ears are swollen and become hot,
- the cat almost constantly scratches ears that are covered with sores in the place of the comb,
- the animal often shakes its head or sits with its head bowed to the shoulder,
- discharge from the ears intensifies and has an extremely unpleasant odor,
- when touching the ears, the animal may show aggression, as it is in pain.
In case of internal otitis, the auricles suffer less often - only in rare cases a slight redness and an increase in the temperature of problem areas can be observed. The animal constantly touches the auricles, rubs them, shakes its head or sits with its head tilted in one direction.
In the absence of timely treatment of internal otitis, the cat begins to lose its hearing, coordination is disturbed, and vomiting often occurs.. If the inflammatory process has affected the facial nerve, then you can observe the drooping of the eyelid and lips from the affected ear. The animal begins to experience difficulty swallowing, drinking.
Some symptoms of otitis may indicate the cause of the inflammation:
- if puffiness and itching are observed not only in the ears, but also in other parts of the body, then the disease is caused by allergies,
- if there are scabs in the ear and the discharge is brown or black in color, the inflammation is caused by the vital activity of the parasites,
- if the discharge is yellow, green or brown, then the animal is affected by a fungus.
Left photo of a cat's ear in case of parasitic otitis, in the center - in case of allergic otitis, on the right - in case of fungal otitis
Diagnosis of the disease
With timely treatment, the specialist diagnoses based on the observations of the owner, general inspection and otoscopy. With a slight form of pathology, this is enough to establish the cause and prescribe the appropriate drugs.
Otoscopy is the examination of the ear canal with a special device. The study allows you to find out if the eardrum is intact, if foreign bodies are present in the ear, or to detect the presence of a tumor.
Otoscopy is performed after anesthesia.
Otoscopy is a study of the auricle of an animal using a special device.
With the defeat of the middle ear, a cytological smear is necessary to determine the true causes of inflammation. If you suspect demodicosis, a trichoscopy can be performed - a study of the hairs and particles of the epidermis. In very advanced cases, video imaging, radiography or MRI may be required. The latter type of research is more informative.
The specialist usually prescribes drugs to relieve the symptoms, as well as specific remedies to eliminate the cause of the inflammation. For the preparatory procedure - the cleansing of the auricle before the treatment - the special means are also prescribed by the veterinarian.
Symptomatic treatment is carried out by the following means:
- To clean the ear, you can use a tampon, abundantly moistened in a solution of furatsilina or boric acid.
- For the external treatment of wounds formed after scratching, use brilliant green or hydrogen peroxide.
- As an external healing agent used ointment Levomekol or Sanatol.
- Otipaks or Otinum will help to relieve pain, eliminate inflammation and itching. They can be used up to 4 times per day, but not more than 10 days.
Photo Gallery: medications for the symptomatic treatment of otitis
Depending on the causes of inflammation, the following types of therapeutic agents are prescribed:
- Combined. Use if otitis has a parasitic, fungal or bacterial nature. They are used in accordance with the instructions. The course of treatment is usually no more than 7-10 days. These drugs include:
- Otidez with propolis.
- Antiparasitic. Acaricidal action have drugs:
- Otoferonol Gold,
- Antifungal. Effective drugs are:
- Antimicrobials and antibiotics. If otitis is caused by a bacterial infection, it will help:
- Amoxicillin (injection),
- Ceftriaxone (injection),
- Sofradex (drops),
- Anandin (drops),
- Polyseptin (drops).
Photo gallery: preparations for the specific treatment of otitis in cats
It is prohibited to treat otitis media with antibiotics if the pathology has a fungal nature.
In case of allergic otitis, complex therapy with the use of anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antihistamine and antimicrobial drugs is usually prescribed. In order to get rid of the pathology, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the allergic reaction.
Recovery from otitis of any nature occurs faster with the inclusion in the course of therapy of immunomodulators - Salmozana, Hamapren.
Hamapren - immunomodulator, helps the cat to cope with otitis of any nature, activating the internal reserves of the body
Surgical treatment of otitis in cats is a last resort and is carried out only when all other methods have been tried and there are irreversible changes in the ear. The types of surgical procedures include:
- opening the membrane
- removal of pus accumulations,
- ear canal correction.
All existing surgical techniques have their pros and cons, but none of them can guarantee that the problem will be completely solved.
If you have a huge range of pharmacy products for otitis therapy in cats, including effective budget drugs, you should not practice treatment with folk remedies. Improper therapy may complicate the course of the disease. As temporary measures, for example, if it is not possible to quickly get to the doctor, you can use a solution of apple cider vinegar diluted with water in a 1: 1 ratio, or camphor oil.
The solution can be dripped with 10 drops in each ear or, using a tampon soaked in it, gently wipe the affected areas. Divorced apple cider vinegar has antifungal and antibacterial effects. Camphor oil at room temperature is instilled into the ears twice a day.
Instilling camphor oil to a cat with otitis can only serve as a temporary measure.