Bred golden-haired pets are a symbol of well-being. They are usually depicted in a porch of a well-kept house, in the circle of a happy family. And indeed, the "golden" (that is, golden) retriever is truly a family dog. This animal from which blows universal kindness and unusual tranquility. In addition, the Golden Retriever has a rich history and a huge number of individual abilities.
The origin of the breed
The name of the breed is decoded as follows: "retriever" - "bring, rescue", and golden - means the color of elegant coat. The breed was bred as a hunting one, but today the dog is more of a companion and is hardly used for hunting.
The breed received its development in the UK, but the origins of the dogs originate from Scotland. In the 19th century, there was no talk of an independent breed. Then there was only a group of dogs that took part in the hunt.
At that time, there was a need for dogs capable of finding and shooting game and even getting it from water bodies. The goal of breeding a suitable breed was set by the Scottish Lord Tvidmos I. He selected only the best representatives of the breeds of hunting dogs and more than half a century in his own nursery engaged in breeding work. Due to the fact that the lord documented his activities, we managed to find out that the breeder took Labradors, setters, water spaniels and retrievers to breed "Golden".
As a result, early golden retrievers appeared, which immediately created competition for smooth-hair retrievers. However, at that time, the final design of the breed was far away. Then there were more popular breeds, and even many breeders woke up passion in breeding their own breeds. But all the ineptly bred breeds suffered a collapse in the process of competition dogs in England, but the golden ones proved their superiority. From this point on, the breeding of golden retrievers began with particular enthusiasm.
The work was carried out under the constant supervision of experienced breeders, mandatory tests were carried out to identify working qualities. All members of the breed that did not fit by any criteria were screened out. The real champions of their breed, who were able to achieve great success in various exhibitions, began to appear. There were many fans of these golden beauties, the breed has gained popularity.
Since 1911, representatives of the breed began to register a separate name - "Golden Retriever", which distinguished the breed from their ancestors - "Golden". In 1930, the breed received its recognition in the United States. In Russia, the breeding of a golden retriever began in 1989.
Description of the breed Golden Retriever
Representatives of the breed are real handsome men with a noble appearance, but many breeders are sure that the “golden” name in the breed is not a shade of wool, but a description of character.
There were certain requirements for the first golden ones, which are also met by representatives of the modern breed:
- Medium sized dogs must be sturdy. physique.
- Sturdy limbs with thick skin on the paw pads (the latter protected from sharp reed leaves).
- A hardy, workable animal.
- The dog is able to swim, and is equipped with a waterproof undercoat.
- The dog has perfect obedience.
Body mass representatives of the breed range from 25-41.5 kg. Growth Males at the withers are usually 56-61 cm, the bough is approximately 51-56 cm. The appearance of the pet has its own specific features and characteristics:
- Head in golden retrievers, moderately broad, wedge-shaped, with clear lines of the skull. The nose is smooth, ending with a black loin of the classical form. The mouth is deep, with developed teeth and a bite in the form of scissors.
- Eyes have medium size with dark brown iris and dense pigmented eyelids, widely spaced. Golden looks are friendly, often interested. Auricles are small, drooping, with rounded ends.
- Torso harmonious, rectangular shape, with well-fitting skin without sagging. The dogs have developed musculature and strong bones. The neck is medium, oval, with moderately pronounced withers. The back is straight, with a wide loin.
- Rib cage broad, rounded ribs.
- The limbs are proportional, the joints are strong with developed muscles. Brushes are rounded in shape, on the paw pads are thick, black pigmented skin.
- Tail flat, lowered down, during work rises to the level of the back.
Pigmentation of wool in golden retrievers is their identification mark, it is light golden with a slight pinkish tint. The standard allowed cream shades, as well as a small amount of white hairs in the chest. The outer hair is soft, elastic, tight to the undercoat. Wool can be smooth, wavy, but not curly. The undercoat of dogs is dense, it can protect the animal from water and frost.
Golden Retriever Character
Golden retriever pets have a flexible character and can adapt to the different rhythms of the owners. With them can be comfortable and homebody, and active owners.
Goldens are distinguished by unique mental abilities, they can be understood without words, so even a novice who does not understand anything in this matter can train them. If the dog is engaged, then practically all the wisdom of training and education he can master by 12 months. But nevertheless, after completing the basic course, you will need classes with your pet so that he does not lose his physical form.
Dog breed Golden Retriever photo
Golden retrievers need attention, so if you don’t devote time to your pet, you can find spoiled things. Dogs do this to attract attention, and in no case from harm.
If the owner is quite active in life, then the dog will be happy to accompany the owner in any event. For them, running near the bike, playing with the ball, long transitions, and relaxing by the water bodies are quite suitable.
Goldens perfectly learn agility and freestyle courses and show good results in competitions. But training for the protection and protection of this breed is not suitable, as the dogs lack the qualities that are required for this activity. Retrievers can bite, but only if absolutely necessary. It is possible for a child to start a dog of this breed as a pet, as a teenager of 10-12 years old can cope with the training of these smartest animals.
Today, representatives of this breed are practically not used for hunting, since more suitable and less capricious dogs have been bred. But this does not detract from the hunting qualities of goldens:
- they have a very balanced temperament,
- hunting excitement, which is expressed in setters, is not present in goldens, so even during operation they are well controlled,
- dogs love water
- they can work without speech commands, reacting to whistles and gestures.
If the retriever is acquired for hunting, then you should take a puppy exclusively from working dogs, with breeding documents and the results of working tests.
The breed has a certain disadvantage, which sometimes does not allow getting a dog in a residential environment - a strong smell. However, this phenomenon is subject to correction, but not cosmetic procedures. Naturally, grooming is required, but nutrition plays a large role in the pet's “aroma”, since the smell appears due to disturbed metabolic processes.
In addition, purebred pets are prone to allergic manifestations, which once again confirms that it is necessary to carefully select food for a golden pet. If we are talking about ready-made rations, they should be classified as premium, super-premium or holistic. The latter is true if the pet has food allergies. Should be guided by the size of the pet, age, type of coat and activity.
With natural nutrition should be a complete diet of meat, offal, vegetables, dairy products, cereals and vegetable oil. Also in the menu you can include eggs and fruits. In this case, additional sources of vitamins and trace elements will be required. Through trial and error, you must select products that are not suitable for feeding the pet, and exclude them from the dog's menu.
The coat of golden retrievers allows their street content; however, the luxurious coat will lose its magnificence and will be constantly dirty.
Dogs molt very actively, the dogs change both the guard hair and the undercoat. Therefore, it is necessary to comb golds every day, and a bitch several times a day. This is not only a tribute to beauty, but also maintaining healthy skin, as not removed hairs can cause dermatitis.
In addition to wool, you should care for the eyes, as dogs have a tendency to uveitis - inflammation of the choroid of the eyeball. They should be regularly inspected, and washed or wiped with chamomile decoction or a special tool.
Ears are also recommended to inspect and clean with a cotton swab with boiled vegetable or baby oil. Claws are clipped as they grow. The oral cavity is examined and if a tooth is found, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
The dog needs regular vaccination, as well as protection and prevention of external and internal parasites. With good nutrition and care, the dog lives up to 15–16 years, although on average the life span of representatives of the breed is 10–12 years.
Photo of golden retriever
Golden Retriever puppy photo
How much is a golden retriever puppy?
You can buy a pet-class puppy from the nursery for an average of 25,000 rubles; a toddler of a higher show class costs around 58,000-65,000 rubles. You can buy from a private breeder of a purebred puppy for 25000-35000 rubles, more low price tag should be alerted.
Pet that does not have a pedigree, you can buy for 12000-14000, of course, that in this case there is no guarantee of the absence of defects and confirmation of the purity of the breed.
Buying a golden retriever, it is worth considering that the dog needs attention and special care. Only if the requirements are met, the dog will get the Golden Retriever to please its owners, and to cause admiring glances of passersby.
The birth of the breed is covered with legends that were invented by the creator and breeder to give his brainchild an aura of mystery. Allegedly, Lord Tweedmouth, the owner of a luxurious estate in New England, in 1958 acquired a dozen surprisingly clever yellow-colored dogs called the “Russian Shepherd Dog” in the circus. And he liked the dogs so much that he was going to organize an entire expedition to the Caucasus that he would acquire new pets.
In fact, at about the same time, the lord acquired a yellow retriever from a local shoemaker and crossed it with his tweed spaniel boughs. There is evidence that a yellow retriever was obtained from mating a newfoundland with a local spaniel. In 1968, the male was mated with a bitch of a water spaniel, also owned by Lord Tvidmout, and three yellow puppies were born in the litter. They became the progenitors of the breed. An avid hunter, the lord handed out golden puppies to his friends, the same hunters who were actively pouring blood of Labradors to their pets.
Later The blood of the Bloodhound was added to the new breed, which significantly improved the sense of smell of the dogs, as well as blood setter. The breed was carefully screened black puppies, until litters of light color were not born in litters. Already at the beginning of the twentieth century, the breed was introduced to the English Kennel Club, recognized by the American Dog Club, but the final standard was approved only in 1999.
Breed standard, appearance and photos
The overall impression is elegant, large dog, very beautiful, with long, wavy hair, beautifully folded, with a pedigree, large head and extraordinary charisma. The behavior is confident and friendly, the look is very smart and affectionate. Movement free, balanced, confident.
- The body is balanced, slightly stretched, with a muscular neck of good length, smoothly turning into withers, without folds and dewlap. Topline is flat, with a strong back, short, muscular loin and slightly sloping croup. The chest is deep and wide, with well arched ribs. The tail continues the line of the back, even, in a calm state, lowered to the hock joints.
- The forelegs are parallel, straight, with strong bones, long shoulder blades and well-laid back shoulders. Elbows should fit snugly to the body. The hind limbs are parallel, with well-defined angles of the hock joints, long shins, muscular and strong.
- The head is very beautiful, with a strong face and jaws, a wide but not coarse skull and a well-defined transition to the muzzle. The muzzle is powerful, deep, wide, not pointed, with strong jaws, strong teeth. It is highly desirable complete set of teeth, scissor bite. Ears are medium, set low, at eye level. The eyes are very expressive, dark, set wide apart, the outline of the eyelids is dark.
- The coat is thick, wavy or straight, soft, with a dense, waterproof undercoat. Color from light cream to gold in any shade, dark red or mahogany colors are not allowed.
What is the difference between a golden retriever and a Labrador?
Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever? Many dog lovers mistakenly consider a golden retriever as a long-haired version of a Labrador. This is not true. Labrador is an independent breed, with its standard of exterior and character traits, but since the creation of Golden used Labrador blood, these two have some similarities:
- Both breeds - hunting, girlfriends, are intended to search and serve for killed or wounded game. Therefore, Labradors and goldens swim very well, love to bring fitting objects and can bring a chicken egg in their teeth without crushing it.
- Both breeds are very friendly to people and dogs, do not show aggression, avoid conflicts.
- Both breeds have an excellent sense of smell, which, together with the absence of aggression, makes them excellent lifeguards and search engines.
But Labrador and Golden have much more differences than similarities:
- Labradors - a very old breed of dogs, Golden - was the result of crossing several breeds.
- Coat length and color is the main visible difference. Golden has a long coat of a light shade, the short-haired Labrador can be either fawn or chocolate or black.
- Tail of Labrador "otdrovy", fun raised above the level of the back. In a golden retriever, the tail looks more like a setter's tail, resembles a “feather”.
- The behavior of the dogs of these two breeds also differ. Goldens are more calm, aristocratic, they are excellent nannies even for small children. Labradors have some ingenuity, tactlessness, they can drop a child in a rush of feelings or knock out a shopping bag from the hands of the owner.
- Labradors are more spontaneous in behavior, they are immensely active, crave action. Golden Retriever is more inclined to thinking about the act, he will execute the order of the owner, but in his own way, more rationally.
The training of dogs of a given breed is a matter which, at home, needs to be given quite a lot of attention. The puppy needs the society of its owner, then he will happily participate in all activities. The relation of the golden retriever to the family is a direct reflection of the gentle attitude of the owners towards it. If you want to get a guaranteed result, then it is better to start training the dog from puppyhood and practice every day from the first months of the pet's life.
A golden retriever who lives in a city, not in a rural or suburban area, needs to know at least three basic commands:
The golden retriever has a rather large size and muscular muscles, which require constant physical exertion and jogging. For them, the movement is a life and a private garden will not be enough for such dogs; if you let them out into the yard themselves, they will lay down and lie down. This is easily avoided if another dog appears in the same garden. It is worth remembering that training for a golden retriever is not violence, but a basic vital need. If the owners doubt how to educate especially stubborn puppies, then it is better to give them for training to professional dog trainers.
It will be useful:
Care and maintenance
- Golden retrievers are very prone to spring moult, during which many owners do not know how to care for pets. Daily brushing will help reduce the amount of wool in the house and detect tangled wool. Pets who participate in shows and exhibitions need regular trimming.
- Keep your pet's claws regularly. Too long pet's claws can interfere with and cause pain when walking and jumping.
- При высоком уровне активности висячие уши таких собак очень восприимчивы к бактериальным и дрожжевым отитам.
- Из-за неусидчивости этих собак, у хозяев регулярно встает вопрос, как мыть питомца. You can use dry shampoo to clean the dog's coat, and it is recommended to bathe a golden retriever only when absolutely necessary.
- The Golden Retriever is a very active breed that needs not only daily walks to the toilet, but also space for physical activities and games. With such dogs you need to play and run a lot, as well as to give the opportunity to communicate with other animals.
- Dog vaccination usually occurs once a year, but it is important that the veterinarian prescribes the necessary vaccinations.
IMPORTANT! Owners should regularly check their dog's ears for signs of ear infections, which they are very susceptible to.
The Golden Retriever is, in general, a healthy and strong breed of dogs, but sometimes diseases such as:
- aortic stenosis,
- hip diseases
- raw eczema,
- diabetic diseases
- granulated granulomas
- interdigital dermatitis,
- food allergies,
- laryngeal paralysis,
As well as eye diseases such as cataracts and glaucoma.
In addition, representatives of this breed are very prone to elbow dysplasia, osteochondrosis and dwarfism.
What to feed
When feeding a dog with natural products, and not store feeds, it is very important to observe the correct regimen and calculate the ration most suitable for fats, protein and carbohydrates. Approximately half of the diet should be raw meat (chicken, turkey and beef), fish and low-fat cottage cheese.
Another quarter of the diet should be grains such as buckwheat and brown rice, and everything else - vegetables:
Meat should not be very fat, and the bird must be removed from the skin. From fish it is worth choosing lean, best of all sea. Vegetables should be finely grated on a grater and give raw or dried and given with a tablespoon of sunflower oil. Needed in the diet of the pet and dairy products.
It is worth remembering that a dog that lives outside the city and exercise a lot of time will need an order of magnitude more food than a dog that lives in an apartment and moves less.
Photos of golden retrievers
Golden Retriever Description
Golden retrievers are dogs with a harmonious physique, muscular and strong limbs, as well as rounded paws. The average height of an adult male is not more than 56-61 cm, and the height of the female of this breed does not exceed 51-56 cm, with a weight of 26-41.5 kg and 25-37 kg, respectively.
Standards of the Golden Retriever breed were described in 1913 and adopted by all countries that have joined the Fedoration Sinogiriquet International:
- harmonious and lively, strong enough dog with balanced movements, strong, with a friendly look,
- the skull and head of a well-molded type and proportional sizes, with a wide and not at all coarse skull and beautifully set head on a muscular and strong neck,
- the muzzle is deep and rather wide, approximately the size of the skull, with a pronounced transition and a black nose,
- eyes of dark brown color, with a wide arrangement and dark eyelids,
- the ears are medium in size, set approximately flush with the eyes,
- teeth are vertical, excellent appearance with a uniform and scissor bite, as well as upper incisors without lumen facing lower teeth,
- neck area of good length, dry and muscular type,
- straight forelimbs have good bones, long shoulder blades equal to the size of the shoulder, so that the limbs are well placed directly under the body part, and the elbows have a good fit,
- the proportional body is characterized by a short loin and a powerful chest with deep and well arched ribs, as well as a straight topline,
- limbs and loins muscular and strong,
- legs have a good length
- knee joints have good angles,
- hock low joints should not be turned inside out or out, and a cow is extremely undesirable
- paws are round, cat-like,
- the tail part is of medium length, reaching the hock, without a sickle-shaped bend on the back.
Dog movements should be strong and slightly graceful, have a good push and smooth gaits, only of a straight type, parallel to the hind and front limbs, not a minting species. The front limbs should have free and far forward reach. Thoroughbred individuals are distinguished by straight or slightly wavy hair, with thick and water-repellent undercoat. Standards allowed all shades, including rich golden and cream color, with the exception of setter color and mahogany. A small spot of white color may be present in the chest area.
Golden Retrievers are extremely hardy and incredibly energetic beautiful dogs that have a very good memory and a well-developed scent, allowing them to maintain excellent performance on land or in water. Initially, the golden retriever was bred specifically for hunting, but today this breed has successfully mastered many other activities, including working at customs, searching for drugs and explosives, and participating in the rescue of people.
It is interesting! Golden Retriever is a very delicate and incredibly intelligent dog, for which aggressive behavior is completely atypical, and its unusual appearance and acumen have made this breed a favorite for many directors or promotional video makers.
The character of a golden retriever is very kind and calm. These dogs are very intelligent and affectionate, rarely barking and not used for guard activities. It should be noted that goldens do not like to dominate, and also very easy to get along even with children. In recent years, in many countries, golden retrievers, after completing a course of special training, have been actively used as medical dogs that brighten up the lives of children with mental disorders. The presence of unique susceptibility, gentleness and optimism in the character of goldens allows such pets to be good to any other animals.
Golden Retriever Content
The maintenance of representatives of the Golden Retriever breed is possible in almost all types of premises, including apartments and private households. Caring for such a dog is completely uncomplicated, but it is very important to train your pet as soon as possible to observe the daily routine and systematic hygienic procedures..
It is also necessary to remember that goldens belong to the category of very active and mobile dogs, therefore, regardless of weather conditions, such dogs should be walked at least twice a day.
Care and hygiene
Obedient coat and excellent character of the dog of this breed greatly facilitate the care of golden retrievers:
- combing the dog is necessary in the direction from the head to the paws, carefully combing all areas with special attention to areas with dense or tangled wool,
- shreds of wool that are not subject to disentanglement or high-quality combing must be removed with scissors,
- all excess coat, formed around the eyes, in the ears and between the fingers, is required to be cut off systematically,
- wash your eyes and clean your ears with a cotton swab with mineral oil or special hygienic compounds,
- dogs that grow too much are periodically shortened with special claws,
- care of the coat of the golden retriever involves the use of a dry shampoo, which is rubbed for half an hour, then combed,
- It is necessary to bathe the retriever in warm water using shampoo, soaping the pet's entire body, and then carefully washing off the foam and wiping the wool dry with a towel.
It should be remembered that for combing golden hair comb brushes with hard and strong bristles are best suited. The combing dog is recommended to be combed with a special pukherka, which easily removes the fallen wool.
It is interesting! In the spring and summer season, it is very important to provide a pet with adequate protection against ectoparasites with the help of special repellents or an anti-flea collar.
The diet and feeding rules of Golden require strict adherence at any age to such a pet. Puppies up to two months of age need to be fed about six times a day, and pets from two to four months old are given food four times a day. Since the age of ten months, the dog can be transferred to a two-time diet. Feeding time is set depending on the owner's daily routine, but must be strictly observed.
It is interesting! Experts recommend giving meat products to a golden retriever in the evening, and in the morning to give preference to dairy products and vegetable mixtures.
When using a natural way of feeding, in addition to the meat components, the dog's ration should include vegetable crops, dairy products, as well as various mineral mixtures. Meat ingredients can be represented by tendons, heart and lungs, kidneys and liver, as well as the stomach. From fish products, preference should be given to cod and soma. For the body of the dog are very important vegetables in the form of cabbage, turnips, pumpkins and carrots. Well suited for feeding semolina, rice and millet, oatmeal and rye, as well as buckwheat porridge.
Diseases and breed defects
The main diseases of the golden retriever are, as a rule, hereditary in nature and can be represented:
- degeneration of the eye retina,
- atopic dermatitis,
- von Willebrand disease
- dysplasia of the hip joints,
- obesity acquired as a result of a sedentary lifestyle.
It will also be interesting:
The most common breed defects
- humpbacked back
- narrow back
- sagging back
- the presence of direct or sharply sloping croup,
- barrel type chest,
- narrowed chest
- small breasts
- the presence of severe fry,
- severe club foot,
- uncharacteristic for the cow breed,
- the presence of straight hock joints,
- saber limbs,
- excessively long or soft coat with an open shirt,
- presence of black or any other color except gold.
Disqualifying defects of the breed include deviations from the normal height at the withers by more than 25 mm, as well as the presence of a snack or undershot dog. In FCI, standards a little less than ten years ago, excessive timidity and aggressiveness were added as disqualifying faults..
Upbringing and training
There are several basic principles that facilitate the training and upbringing of the retriever, as well as make them as effective as possible:
- you should never allow a forbidden pet
- you can never cancel an order given to a dog
- all actions must be understandable for a pet,
- training should be consistent, from simple commands to more complex skills,
- classes should be regular, and the reinforcement of the obtained skills is carried out by affection and delicacy.
Systematic monitoring of the assessment of all pet abilities is very important, but it is still better to underestimate the skills acquired by the dog than to overestimate them.
Buy Golden Retriever
It is not too difficult to buy a purebred golden - many private breeders and well-established kennels are actively involved in breeding dogs of this breed of different classes:
- show - show class animals,
- breed - breeding dogs,
- pets are pets.
Experts recommend beginners to acquire puppies in breeding dog breeding clubs.
What to look for
An acquired puppy must be vigorous and active, with no signs of degeneration of the breed, with a decent and class-appropriate exterior. It is necessary to pay special attention to the conditions of the puppy and his parents, as well as the availability of all the accompanying documentation, including the pedigree and veterinary book with deworming and vaccination marks.
Puppy Retriever Price
Puppies of breed Golden Retriever belonging to the pet-class in the kennel will cost at least 25 thousand rubles, and the dog of the show class - 60 thousand rubles. Mostly in demand are puppies of pet-class, and on the pages of Avito, it is quite possible to find such pets at an average cost of 30-50 thousand rubles.
The legendary golden retriever is an incredibly intelligent and good-natured breed, having aristocratic habits and restrained temper from birth. According to the owners of Golden, such pets, in addition to vigor and special endurance, have a very good memory and developed natural flair.
Large enough size and with muscular muscles the dog requires constant physical exertion and jogging. A puppy of this breed needs the community of its owner and tries with great pleasure to participate in any kind of activity, but such a dog should be trained from a puppy age, practicing the educational process on a daily basis. Dogs of this breed can be kept in apartment conditions, ensuring regular and long walks with sufficient physical activity.
It is interesting! The incredibly popular today hunting breed is ideal for anyone who appreciates poise and composure in a pet, stress resistance and intelligent manners.
Breed Golden Retriever favorably with friendliness and friendliness, sociability and activity, determination and curiosity, as well as natural ingenuity, therefore such highly socialized dogs are most often infused by young and active people, as well as families with teenage children.
The story of the Golden Dog
Golden Retrievers - bred by the British back in the early 19th century, his first puppies were officially registered in 1868. In Great Britain, Lord Majorborns Tweedmouth, to your surprise, bought a dog from one man who traveled the world in circus performances (by the way, he was a Russian circus performer). That same shepherd and became the progenitor of the golden retriever.
Breed of dogs Golden Retriever - for a long time could not boast reliable facts about the origin, but in 1952, somehow miraculously managed to restore its original roots. So, the yellow retrievers, the tweed spaniels, the Irish dogs, the Blandhound dog, the unknown Russian shepherd dog are all representatives related to the golden dog.
The work was in full swing for a long time, the exterior indicators improved, black puppies were categorically rejected, trying to achieve a pure color. The result was an amazing and cute dog, which, according to statistics, occupies a leading position in popularity among owners in all countries of Europe and the Russian Federation, the former CIS.
Golden Retrievers are beautiful animals with a golden color, having a pretty appearance, beautiful fine structure, as claimed by breeders, a golden color, not only the word describing the color, but also the real description of the character, the dog - “pure gold”.
- The golden retriever and breed description has changed slightly since the first accepted standard:
- Height and weight for girls: at the withers - 45 - 50 cm, weight 45 -35 kg,
- Males 55 - 60 cm, weighing 35 - 45 kg.
- Life expectancy with proper care is on average 12–14 years, there are long-livers for 15–17 years.
External exteriors data, significantly distinguish it from the rest of the mass of dogs, they are beautiful, harmonious and proportionally folded, movements are not constrained, light. Look - confident and direct.
- Golden Retriever - the owner of a proportional to the body - his head. Muzzle of a wider type, but of medium size, without any particular sharpening. The transition from the skull to the face, quite pronounced, it can be seen without much difficulty.
- According to the standard, it is important that the eyes conform to certain requirements: they are medium in size, necessarily brown in color, and the eyelids should be painted midnight. Rather widely set, a look - good-natured and cheerful.
- Ears: Medium size, closer to small. Cartilage does not possess strong stiffness, ears - hanging type. In the form of a triangle, the cats have roundings. Fall down beautifully, parallel to the face. Visually located on a clear line of eye level.
- Jaw: strong, more powerful type, correct bite, scissor-free without bias. Teeth strong, white, fangs - large. Be sure to complete the set, not curves.
- Chest: powerful type, ribs with a good divorce. Deep, ribs arched. The back is necessarily flat, slightly wide, with well-developed muscles. The croup is not oblique, the line of transition to the tail is smooth. There is a slight slope, but the American standard allows a slight deviation.
- Limbs, feet: straight, strong, set in parallel. The shoulder blades are the same length with the shoulder, the shoulder is not short, the elbows of the dog are snug. The hind ones are stronger with significantly developed muscles, the hip is wide.
- Body: strong bones, shape - rectangular, skin tight on the entire body. Belly with good muscles, tucked up. The loin does not sag, it is wide enough. Withers pronounced, but not much.
- Tail: low set, saber-shaped, considerably thick at the base. Поднимается строго до уровня спины, в спокойном состоянии — опущен, но не поджат к животу.
- Шерсть: только прямая, без особо выраженных завитков, но может иметь незначительные волны. The undercoat is well defined, dense. Shedding - in spring and autumn. Wool hypoallergenic type, allergic reactions, occur extremely rarely, but still individual intolerances are possible.
Types of retrievers
The main color of the dog's coat color is gold, it can also be peach, cream, rich gold, almost white. The depth of color depends on the particular shade, but they all fit the description - gold. Monotony, sometimes diluted with a slight presence of spots, usually in the area - the chest, a small amount of white hairs.
Retrievers are sometimes confused with a setter, but between them there is nothing in common except for the similarity of color, they are different breeds.
There are a large number of mestizo, which is issued for a separate species, but it is not. Dogs with black color, were originally recognized as a marriage, the presence of red spots or other, is also considered as a tribal marriage.
By type there are differences between:
- European dogs,
- Canadian representatives.
They are all representatives of the same breed, but with some external (minor) differences. So the golden dogs from Canada, wider and more powerful, Americans - more saturated color with pinkishness.
What is the difference between gold - retrievers from the representative of Labrador?
Golden Retriever and Labrador have similarities to themselves, but initially they are representatives of different breeds. In Labradors, the type of wool is much shorter than that of a retriever; they are much denser and wider.
The difference in color in shades, so Labrador much yellower, with a more pronounced undercoat. And goldens are nevertheless closer to the white color, but as it was described earlier with certain ebb tides of delicate peach and cream, without red and yellow.
Also, both have certain character traits that are characteristic of each, differences in size, behavior and structure of the backbone.
One of the main advantages is character, a real miracle, always cheerful and friendly, absolutely not aggressive and extremely sweet.
Golden retrievers - a real treasure, none of the famous dog breeds, can not boast of such a set of positive qualities.
The character of a golden retriever is good-natured, open, flexible, sweet, moderately energetic, ideal for keeping in the family. By the way, representatives of Golden are actively working at the border, customs, at airports, where they function as sleighs of prohibited items and substances. They make beautiful ones - rescuers and guides.
- They are fully focused on relationships with a person, respect him, obey, try to give pleasure and joy.
This is a great friend for many years, a companion, a comrade, whom you can take with you for fishing and hunting, a simple jog, and in the evening let her go to the sofa at your feet, where he will be happy to be. Not just a dog, but a real family member.
The golden dog is a retriever, his character practically does not show, that is, he is not inclined to dominate, it is in relations with the owner, does not show stubbornness, resentment, does not keep in itself memories of a negative nature. It is fully open.
He treats a person as carefully as possible, catches every word and gesture, the owner for him is his whole world. It is not recommended to treat him with rudeness and even more to use physical force. A dog is so good-natured and susceptible to stiffness that it can miss and even get sick from mistreatment.
Attitude to children
Golden retrievers will never show aggression towards a child. Patient and restrained, they can tolerate for a long time and if the thicket is still overflowing, they simply hide from the baby. They completely won the title of "nanny".
He will protect, control and protect the child, it is important for him that the baby is safe. These are very intelligent dogs with high levels of intelligence. They perfectly feel the emotional state, react to cry - trying to find out what happened and save the baby from danger.
They love to play, love to tinker with their children. Mentally and emotionally stable, predictable and not dangerous.
In order to know how to properly care for a dog with a golden retriever, you need to understand one thing: "The more careful and regular care is, the simpler it is."
Caring for a pet golden retriever is not so difficult, the main thing is not to forget about the need for hygienic procedures, the importance of nutrition and physical exercise. Initially, you need to understand the basics along the way.
- Wool: comb the dog, it is required constantly. Not less than 2 times a week with the help of a special brush with medium teeth, during the period of molting (necessarily) every day a puchherker. Not just combing, but actively moving through all hard-to-reach places - belly, legs, groin area.
- Bathing: only as the dog gets dirty, or before the show. Every day - washing the paws and the flow of wool with a damp cloth. Use dog shampoos, balms. Water should be of medium temperature, towel to wipe soft. They like to swim independently in open reservoirs, allow only in summer, after rinsing with running water.
- Claws: haircut 2 times a month with a nail clipper, to teach from an early age of 2 months, otherwise it will not be given.
- Vaccinations: regular vaccinations will help avoid many serious illnesses. Flea and tick wool treatment is a must. Preventive visits to the vet once every six months. Anthelmintic also - give regularly.
- Ears and eyes: remove excess excreta, a normal cotton swab or disc and antiseptic agents (decoctions or solutions), for example, chamomile, will do. For ears there is a special lotion that is sold in veterinary stores.
- Physical activity: very important for a pet, regular walking with activity, the ability to run and play without a leash, communicating with other animals. It is recommended to purchase toys in large quantities: pullers, cords, balls, rings, plates. Walking at least 2 times a day.
How to make the right diet
Such breeds of dogs, like a golden retriever, perfectly perceive feeding with dry food. In our time, feed production has reached an excellent level; it is already precisely balanced and calculated for each breed. Selected by activity, age and condition of the animal, easy to use and does not require additional additives.
Ideal fit feed "Proplan" and the line "GO". Adults eat 2 times a day, and babies from 4 - 4 times a day in small portions, it is advisable to soak the food up to 4 - 5 months (just not with boiling water).
When fed with natural food, the diet consists of the following products:
- Meat (turkey, chicken, beef, lean veal) boneless, raw,
- Vegetables: carrots, cabbage, beets, pumpkin, turnips, zucchini, greens (grated, finely chopped, fresh),
- Low fat dairy products: kefir, cottage cheese, cheeses,
- Sea fish (peeled and boneless),
- Cereals and cereals,
- Fruits: blocks, banana, pear,
- Bone meal, sometimes a raw egg,
- Internals: tripe, mouth, liver, light and heart.
Meat should be a large part of the volume: calculation - 30 grams per 1 kg of the animal, everything else - vegetables and cereal.
You will need to give mineral complexes and vitamins, vegetable fats. It is forbidden to feed: sweet, potatoes, macaroni, bones, spicy, pepper, fried, do not give bread. Exception: crackers in the form of incentives for dog training.
These are lovers of food, prone to obesity, not overfeeding, otherwise there will be problems with digestion and weight.
Advantages and disadvantages
Retriever or gold dog, owner of a mass of advantages:
- She loves children
- Not aggressive
- Is smart
- Located to the training,
- A lot of wool during molting,
- Sometimes too good-natured,
- Enough expensive puppies.
A family dog is always a responsibility, not only to pets, but also to animals. People often fear for their children, but forget about the animal. He also needs to be safe, and children can torture, although they themselves do not always understand this. Remember that when starting a pet, you must give it care, Any and proper care.
Where to buy and how to choose a puppy
The little retriever and all the puppies are leaving for new homes at the age of 2 months. At this moment they have all the vaccinations, puppy metric, brand. It is important to choose a healthy animal and a good breeder. Find out beforehand all the information about parents and their health.
- Kids must be active, moderately well-fed, friendly, friendly.
All nurseries announce their mates on sites and social networks, you can reserve a baby before birth. Choose a pet is not only on the basis of appearance and character. It is better to talk with all the kids, the mother, and after that to make a decision.
In order to understand how much a golden retriever puppy costs, it is necessary to take into account all the indicators of which it is composed, namely:
- Individual indicators
- Future prospects
- Participation in breeding,
- Rituals of parents
- Health status, medical tests,
- A boy or a girl (bitches are usually more expensive),
- The significance of the nursery.
The Golden Retriever and its prices start at 40 thousand rubles, the best puppies will cost around 1000 euros.
So, the golden retriever is an ideal dog for a family with children, with grandparents, with lots of pets. The fact that the breed belongs to the teammate does not prevent these charming dogs from making friends with the kittens and carefully handling the poultry. Their guarding qualities are not expressed.but these dogs are not annoying, do not annoy with barking.
Golden retrievers are great companions and great babysitters. They do not possess protective qualities at all.
An ideal nanny, patient and kind, forgiving all pranks and random offenses - this is golden. Dogs of this breed very carefully and carefully treat children. But this statement applies only to adult dogs that are fully formed mentally. A teenager or a puppy of a golden retriever, like all young dogs, behaves too actively and unpredictably.
Important! The young dog of this breed requires as much attention as possible during the growth period. The activity of adolescents increases every month, so many inexperienced owners are perplexed when a real prankster grows out of a bumpkin puppy.
A puppy needs to be socialized, a teenager needs to walk, play and practice a lot. Otherwise, the dog begins to entertain himself on his own, displaying amazing inventiveness.
A ten-month golden retriever, left to himself, is able to get things out of closed cabinets, crush the room and gnaw up all the objects within reach, in just a few hours.
Young goldens, in contrast to adults, are very active, constantly find something to do, love to play and run.
An adult retriever who has gone through the hardships of a transitional period pleases the whole family with a calm, cheerful disposition and a desire to please. It is easy to cope with him on a walk, he behaves well when visiting and traveling, but this is all only on condition that he is a favorite pet.
The good-natured and cute dog of this breed becomes very attached to the owner and becomes gloomy and harmful if it notices that they have begun to pay little attention. Golden makes you happy with full daily communication with people, regular training or classes.
The subtleties of training golden
Golden Retriever is able to master many teams, if the learning process gives him pleasure. Some stubbornness, high activity and independence of young dogs impede the learning process, so it is advisable to start training a puppy as early as four months.
Attention. Teams of the general course of training will help to cope with a growing pet, will prepare the ground for more interesting specializations. You can teach a dog to walk nearby or serve a paw.
A golden retriever can be a guide dog or a lifeguard, and if training is used for the first specialty with the help of a clicker, then the search for a person is in the blood of dogs of this breed. You can even find hidden objects or a hidden person at home.by arranging fun games. But then, at the command “look!” The dog will be able to find the lost keys or to find the child in the snow-covered yard.
Golden Retrievers and Canistherapy
The patient and mild behavior of golden retrievers is often used for medical purposes. The term “zootherapy” or “Canistherapy” means treating a person by communicating with animals. Dogs help children and adults to reduce stress, relax during times of crisis, improve the process of socialization.
Golden Retriever dogs are often used in Canistherapy. They are happy to communicate with people and never show aggression.
Patients communicating with the dog, get a sense of security, have the opportunity to get a full range of tactile sensations, which is especially important for blind people. The animal protects from loneliness, stimulating people with communication problems to easy, easy communication.
It is especially important that the golden retriever, like other similar breeds, can be the subject of human motivation. Doctors recommend getting a dog to parents of autistic children, children with mental development problems, introverts. Walking with a dog helps to go beyond the limited world, stimulates movement, communication with the outside world.
Golden Retriever Health
The golden retriever lives, on average, for twelve years, and most often it is healthy dogs. Puppies often have various intestinal disorders, such as colitis, in adult dogs - turning of the stomach. These problems are solved properly selected diet.
But, like any artificially created breed, Goldens have hereditary diseases:
- Dysplasia of the hip joints. Most often is hereditary, but may be acquired. Treatment is not subject to, in rare cases, possible surgical treatment.
- Epilepsy. It is diagnosed at any age, dogs with a history of the disease are not allowed in breeding.
- Hemorrhagic disorder or von Willebrand disease. Symptoms are increased bleeding gums, nasal bleeding. Treatment consists of a blood transfusion, after which the disease subsides.
- Retinal dysplasia. The disease is associated with a congenital violation of the synthesis of taurine, is difficult to diagnose and treat, the dog can completely go blind.
- Atopic dermatitis. It appears very often as a reaction to external factors: food or vaccination. Symptoms - eczema, skin lesions.
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed
The golden retriever has a lot of advantages, the dog seems to be woven from some positive qualities.
Here are the main ones:
- Friendly character, gentleness and pliability in communication with children.
- Very beautiful, spectacular appearance.
- High level of intelligence, ability to learn.
- No tendency to dominate.
The disadvantages can be considered:
- Abundant shedding, regular and time-consuming grooming.
- Gluttony, the tendency to picking up food on the street.
- The lack of security qualities.
How to choose a puppy and what to look for
The little golden retriever can move into a new family at the age of two months. In 45 days, the puppies who have the documents do the actuation, after which the babies are ready for sale. Before you go for a pet, you should carefully examine all the features of the breed, get acquainted not only with the breeder, but also try to phone or personally see the owner of the dog. This is necessary in order to protect themselves from acquiring a half-breed or a puppy that has nothing to do with a golden retriever.