Dzungarian hamsters are beloved and bizarre households that make noise at night and sleep sweetly during the day. For small creatures you need to carefully care, this will help you the following recommendations. Today we will look at nutrition, basic content, home improvement and other important aspects affecting the dzungarik.
Meet the Jungar Hamster
- As soon as the newcomer arrived to you, he must be accustomed to the hands and the smell of the owner. Take your time, let the baby be alone for a while so that he gets comfortable. Minimize contact of an animal with people in order not to injure its psyche once again.
- Periodically bring the hands of the pet to the cage, let it get used to your smell. After a certain period of time, try to take a rodent on your hands, but not for long.
- On the second or third day, let the pet run on the floor. Sit next to him and watch the movements of the newcomer. Slide your hand between the baby’s body and the floor so that the jungle is placed on your palm. If he does not do this, no need to insist.
- Do not try to take the hamster to yourself, holding his hands on top. In the wild, birds hunt rodents in this way, so your actions can only frighten the household.
- When the dzungarik gets used to the smell of your hands, take it with you to the bed or sofa for the company. Try to create a comfortable atmosphere, do not turn on the sound at full volume.
- Remember that hamsters are extremely susceptible to odors. Before you invite a new home to yourself, do not smear your hands with a cream, do not wash them with soap. The skin should smell natural or not smell at all. Otherwise, the hamster will begin to bite.
- Contact with the animal should be carried out daily, 3-7 times, depending on its condition. Do not allow children to play with your pet, because they can harm him.
- If you plan to release a rodent from a cage to move around the room, buy a special transparent ball for hamsters. It will prevent injuries, protect the dzungarika from other pets and allow the kid to spend his energy. Active walks should not last longer than 50 minutes a day.
House arrangement for the Dzungarian hamster
You can purchase a cage or carrier for a rodent at any pet store. In the house must be present wheel for cargo, drinking bowl with a ball, a variety of stairs and tunnels, containers for fresh and dry food. The bath with clean sand and mineral pebble will not interfere either.
- Choose copies not from a tree, because hamsters love to sharpen their teeth and chew on everything. The ideal option would be a plastic container with an iron grid.
- Wooden dwellings should also be avoided for a simple reason: this design absorbs unpleasant odors, which later will not go anywhere.
- Rodent houses made of wood are considered breeding grounds for bacteria and often result in the death of an animal. Also, such structures can not be cleaned, they are heavy, impractical.
Food and Water Tanks
- If you buy an “assembled” cage, the drinking bowl will be supplied, as well as the food bowls. They are attached to the bars in the corner of the house, which allows you to evenly distribute the space.
- But if there is no drinker, buy it extra. Be sure to choose a device for rodents with a tip in the form of a ball. Pour into the drinker only purified bottled water, not running water.
- Expose the cage so that the sunshine does not fall on the drinking bowl. Water needs to be changed twice a day or at least every day.
- As for the feed tanks, you will need 2 pieces. One will go for dry food, the other - for natural food. Bowls should be resistant, clay or ceramic. Hamsters love to gnaw.
- It is better if the tanks are attached to the bars of the house. This eliminates the likelihood of spillage. Wash trough need without means, to avoid poisoning the rodent.
Wheel and ball for walking
- Hamsters have a great need for movement, they constantly rustle at night and prefer to spend time actively. To this end, buy a pet wheel that will satisfy the desire to run.
- Choose a plastic fixture where the bars are located next to each other. Do not buy a wheel of iron rods, the paws will get stuck in the rodent.
- In addition to the attribute that is placed directly in the cage, you must purchase a ball for walking around the house. It should not be too big and heavy, otherwise the jungar will find it difficult to move.
Bedding in the house
- The litter must be given due attention, much depends on it. Give preference to special compressed or ordinary sawdust for rodents. They must contain moisture and unpleasant smell.
- Place at least 3 cm of sawdust on the pallet. Hamsters love to dig in them. The baby will immediately draw some volume into the house where he sleeps. It is necessary to change the filler 2 times a week.
- If you wish, you can lay out the bottom of the cage with a clean landscape paper (torn) or paper towels, and sprinkle it on top of the sawdust. But in any case, do not put cotton in the house.
- If you seriously think about the need to acquire two Djungarian hamsters, be ready for their reproduction, if we are talking about the female and the male.
- Immediately arrange with a pet store or friends that after the birth of babies, bring them posterity after a while. Hamsters are ready for procreation from the age of 45 days.
- Professionals who are responsible for keeping hamsters do not recommend placing several individuals of the same sex in a cage. The males in this case will fight for the territory, and the females will disperse to different angles.
Hamster Care Rules
- Behind a dzungarik it is necessary to clean regularly, in particular, this concerns his cage. If appropriate measures are not taken in time, the terrible smell of waste will quickly spread throughout the apartment. Therefore, do not neglect such recommendations.
- Systematically change the filler in the cage. The procedure is recommended 1 time per week. During the manipulation, move the pet into a tank from which it cannot escape. All filler should not be removed, only get rid of spoiled.
- Regularly wash the hamster cage once a month. It should be borne in mind that if the dzhungarik created a nest, it is prohibited to destroy it. The bottom of the cage can be washed with simple soap.
- It is important to bear in mind that such hamsters do not need forced bathing. The pet is quite cope with the cleaning of wool from various dust and dirt. To do this, it is enough to install a container with clean sand without impurities.
- In addition, in the cage of a hamster you need to install a special bar, about which he will grind his teeth. Alternatively, use any mineral stone. Also, the animal can give fresh sticks from fruit trees.
Hamster feeding rules
- There is nothing difficult in caring for a hamster, however, proper nutrition of the rodent deserves special attention. Take the habit of feeding your pet twice a day at the same time. For example, at 8 am and at 8 pm.
- In the morning, the meal should be organized when the dzungarik just woke up. In the evening, food should be given during its activity. If you have two pets and the female is pregnant, she needs to be fed about 4 times a day at regular intervals.
- After awakening, the hamster is recommended to give protein, boiled vegetables and succulent feed. In the evening, the dzungarika should be fed dry food, cereals and various delicacies. It is important to organize a proper and balanced diet.
- To determine the sex of the dzungarik, it is recommended to immediately ask the seller at the pet store. Also, the gender recognition procedure can be determined independently. In the male older than 1 month, you can see the testicles near the tail.
- To maximize the life of the rodent, it is important to provide proper care. Subject to all the rules, the Dzungarik can live up to 3 years. In rare cases, hamsters live longer.
If you decide to have a dzhungarika, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of care and nutrition. If you follow all the recommendations of the pet you will be pleased enough time. Choose a cozy house for the hamster, do not forget to pamper the rodent with treats and toys.
Buying a beast. Is it worth taking a few hamsters
First, decide how many rodents you want to have. Some people think that it is necessary to buy two dzhungarik at once, so that they live happier. But experienced breeders say differently about this. They believe that every rodent should have its own cage. Why do they have such a point of view?
This is because Djungar hamsters are lonely by nature, so if there is no “friend” with them in a cage, they will not get bored. In 95% of the joint life of such rodents leads to bad consequences. Between hamsters there are fights, after which injuries appear in rodents. Although there have been cases when they still lived very peacefully. Therefore, before you decide to buy two rodents, think carefully.
Determine the sex of the Dzungarian hamster
How to do it? Of course, the seller may volunteer to help, but he, unfortunately, may make an elementary mistake. Actually, it's very easy to figure it out. How? First, place the back of the rodent on the palm, with your thumbs you should hold the upper part of the hamster calf.
The back end is now in a free position, so you can easily see the sexual signs of the animal with your second hand. During this procedure, do not hurt the rodent, do not squeeze the body, be extremely careful.
So, now about the differences ... If the animal between the anus and the genitals has a distance of about one centimeter, in the center of the tummy you can see a formed gland that looks like a navel, then you should know that there is a male hamster in front of you.
How to understand that you are holding a female in your hands? The distance between the anus and the genitals is insignificant, with almost no iron. Another difference of the female is two rows of papillae, going from the chest to the bottom of the tummy.
Djungar hamsters: care and maintenance
Now we go to the choice of housing, because the kid needs to live somewhere. Of course, the best option is a cell. It is desirable that it be more than 50x30 cm in size. So the rodent has enough space for jogging and warming up. Choose a cage with horizontal bars, so it will be better. The rodent will be able to climb on them.
What to do when the home is purchased? Next you need to correctly fill the cage. The first thing you need is a house. Pay attention to the material. There are different types of houses made of plastic, ceramics, cardboard or wood. Cardboard products, as you understand, are not particularly practical. Better choose ceramic and wood. But such houses will cost more. Plastic products are the best value for money.
And what should be the house in size? Spacious. It is important that the Dzungar hamster freely pass through the door with full cheeks. In the very same house should be enough space for storage. If the rodent will feel uncomfortable in the dwelling, then it must be changed. After all, the pet should be comfortable.
Rather, the feeder needs the owner, rather than a rodent. As a rule, hamsters very quickly devastate the feeder, pulling the cereal mixture across storerooms.
When you pick up a bowl, remember that rodents love to turn the plates on the "ground". Ideal option - a ceramic product. To move such plates is difficult for a small hamster. Glass bowls should not be put in a cage to a rodent, as he can get hurt.
There are several types of drinkers. In the pet store you may be advised to buy a regular bowl. But this is not the best option. The advantage of such a purchase is the price. In a cage, a plastic bowl rodent simply turns or throws sawdust.
The best option - automatic drinkers. They are also called "nipple". The design of this product is quite simple: a plastic container with a metal spout is used for water. The drinking bowl is easily attached to the cage. To get water, the Jungar hamster must press the spout on the valve. The advantage of this species is that the rodent will not be able to pour or spoil the liquid.
Some necessary items that can be put in a cage
Still also need a wheel. After all, a rodent needs to spend its accumulated energy somewhere.
For grinding teeth you need a mineral or chalk stone.
If you wish, you can purchase a special swimsuit that you fill with sand. In such a product, rodents will take a bath with great pleasure. Of course, sand.
For rodents, pet shops also sell special tunnels, ladders, sections, and more.
Filler for the cell: which one is better to choose
You can use a different filler. But the best option is sawdust. Some people advise using cat litter as bedding. This is permissible, but everything is better than sawdust. They are cheaper and safer for animals.
In no case do not put cotton wool in a hamster cage. It is contraindicated in rodents. Wool fibers may entwine around the legs and body of the hamster, resulting in impaired blood circulation. There are cases when rodents eat pieces of this material, which leads to problems with the intestines.
Such a beast is very clean. To care for him is a pleasure. Such an animal does not smell, so cleaning can be carried out infrequently. Ideal - once every three days. How to clean?
First remove the rodent from the cage, then all items. Next, pour out sawdust, wash the pan and pour new ones.
Does a hamster bathe? You can bathe, but you need to use either a special or dry shampoo. Soap is by no means suitable for this purpose. Hygienic procedure should be carried out only as pollution. Just so you should not bathe the rodent, as it is stressful for him. In addition, the animal can catch a cold.
As a rule, all hygienic procedures are carried out by the Jungar hamster itself. He carefully cleans the body, using the tongue and legs.
In its natural habitat, the hamster lives in burrows. But even there the animal manages to maintain perfect purity. There in special otnorki they make toilet. At the genetic level, the property is also transmitted to domestic hamsters. In a free corner, as a rule, these rodents arrange themselves a latrine.
Cold or flu
If your animal has significantly decreased activity, it sneezes and sniffs, then there is a chance that he caught some kind of infection. The disease is exactly the same as in humans. The virus, by the way, can be transmitted to an animal by humans. There is no treatment as such, but during the period of illness, provide the rodent with fruits and vegetables. So you can increase his immunity.
Blows, fractures and sprains
As a rule, dzhungariki receive similar injuries when an unsuccessful fall. Main symptoms:
- problems in movement,
- curvature of the limbs
- shock (sometimes can also accompany a sick rodent).
If you notice that something is wrong with your pet, then you should contact your veterinarian. He will give you the appropriate recommendations, depending on the severity of the injury.
Have you noticed that your pet has stuck eyelids? Then it is most likely that the animal caught a bacterial infection that developed into conjunctivitis. Rodent eyes should be washed with salted water or strong tea.
How to understand that your hamster has a cataract? The lens is cloudy, and the area of the pupil is gray. As a rule, such a disease manifests itself in old age. Unfortunately, such a disease cannot be cured. Therefore, you need to take a pet like that.
Rodent intestinal diseases
Loud boiling in the abdomen, severe diarrhea, copious discharge with an unpleasant odor - all these are signs of intestinal diseases. Bacterial infections of this kind should be treated with special preparations. With such problems it is worth contacting a veterinarian.
This is the most problematic area among all diseases of the Dzungarian hamsters. All because it is very difficult to diagnose, errors are possible. Sometimes people take a normal lump as a brain tumor.
You do not need to see a fatal diagnosis in everything. If there are any suspicions - immediately to the doctor. He will be able to conduct a qualified diagnosis.
Now you know who the Dzhungar hamster is, the maintenance and care of which, as you understand, is quite simple. This rodent can be a good friend for kids and adults. If you have forgotten what a Jungar hamster looks like, the photos presented in our article will help you to remember. Do you like the animal? Then memorize the information presented here, it will help you in the upbringing and maintenance of the rodent.
Many people are interested in where the Djungar hamsters live in nature in order to provide the pet with conditions that are as close to natural as possible. Dwarf hamsters are very widespread. Они обитают в степях и полупустынях Казахстана, Азии, России (Западная Сибирь, Алтайский край). Название получили по имени провинции на северо-западе Китая – Джунгарии. Сунгурский хомяк (Phodopus sungorus) – альтернативное именование джунгариков.
Запасливые грызуны являются одиночками. Каждый зверек обустраивает нору с 4-6 входами, глубиной до метра, где в различных ответвлениях располагается кладовая, спальня, отхожее место. Out of the holes they are at dusk and at night. They feed on grass, seeds, berries, insects.
Every day, Sungurik runs several kilometers in search of food.
On the grassy plains of tiny hamsters there are many enemies - birds of prey, ferrets, ermines. So that the little ones are not translated, nature has endowed them with camouflage color and amazing fertility.
Djungarian hamster colors
Natural color is most common, but in nurseries, selecting spectacular mutations for wool, we managed to get unusual colors. Tangerine repeats the natural pattern, but the fur is not dark, but light brown, red. Color "sapphire" - gray-blue.
The rarest - “pearl”, white Dzungarian hamster. Pearl color is characterized by the loss of a dark band along the ridge. Djungarian hamster is not black, or albino. Such a color variation indicates that it is Campbell, not Sungurik.
Dzhungarik color pearls
The pet of an unusual suit requires a responsible attitude: the “colored” rodent is less resistant to adverse conditions and stress. So, red hamsters are carriers of the lethal gene, so individuals of the same color should not interbreed with each other.
In the wild, dark Jungar hamsters are subject to seasonal molting. They brighten: turn white or gray, although the dark stripe on the back remains. In the apartment such a phenomenon is a rarity, because the temperature does not fall below 16 C, and the daylight hours are constant.
IMAC Fantasy, 58x38x38.5 cm
The cell is placed in a quiet place, protected from the sun and drafts. There must be a house in it so that the beloved rodent can retire. For a dzungarik a small (10 cm long) wooden house with no windows and no bottom is ideal. More information can be found on the page about choosing the right cage for the Djungarian hamster.
A filler, corn or cellulose, is poured at the bottom with a thick layer, and white paper towels or napkins are put in the house to build a nest.
The hamster must run several kilometers daily to stay healthy. In captivity, such activity can only be achieved with a running wheel. For a dwarf, the diameter should be 16-18 cm. It should not have a crossbar, the surface is solid or fine mesh so that the foot does not get stuck.
Dzungarik and wheel
In addition to the wheel use walking balls. In it, the animal can safely move around the apartment. Well, if the owner organizes the playground: a maze, tunnels.
The trough is most often a small ceramic bowl: heavy enough to not roll over and easy to clean. Drinking water is mandatory, and a bowl of water is undesirable. It is better to hang a closed container: nippelnaya or ball auto drinker.
The basis of the diet is zernosmes - ready food for dwarf hamsters. Because of the rapid metabolism of eating a lot of hamster. To keep your pet healthy, use food from proven manufacturers: Versele-Laga "Mini Hamster Nature", JR Farm, Vitakraft. An inexpensive domestic option could be Chika BIO "Feed for Dzungarian Hamsters."
In addition to grain, the pet is given succulent feeds (vegetables, fruits, berries, greens), and occasionally protein foods (boiled chicken, low-fat cottage cheese). Contrary to the common myth, the hamster cannot eat everything, eat "off the table." We'll have to carefully study the list of allowed and prohibited products, and stick to it.
In addition to pet food, pet shops buy treats - edible sticks and spikelets, a mineral stone for grinding teeth.
Other accessories (optional)
A small cell-carrier is useful to take a pet to the veterinary clinic when moving. Homa is deposited into it during general cleaning of the cage.
If the owner cares about the purity of the fur and the absence of an unpleasant smell from the rodent, buy a bathing container and special sand for chinchillas.
Care and feeding
If you explain to a child how to care for a hamster, the little owner will feel responsible for the pet. Hamsters are fed every day, in the evening, when the animal wakes up. Change the water in the trough, it should always be fresh.
Daily carried out in the cell spot cleaning. It is necessary to remove the remnants of succulent feeds in time to prevent spoilage and rotting (stock revision). Clean up accumulations of feces and wet litter, adding fresh filler if necessary. Hamsters are clean, and they organize a special toilet corner in a cage.
It is very important to keep the animal clean so that it does not get sick, but general cleaning with a full change of bedding is stressful for hamsters. Wash the cage no more than 1 time per week, using a sponge and soap without fragrances. Handle all accessories: bowl, wheel, toys. Disassemble and wash the water bottle (iron spout is cleaned of plaque and doused with boiling water).
It is better to clean the cage according to the schedule (once in 7-10 days), without waiting for the appearance of a strong odor. Even with heavy pollution, toxic chemicals like bleach should be avoided. To remove white spots from urine and eliminate odor, use vinegar (applied for 15 minutes).
Hamsters have a very sensitive psyche. Rearrangement in the cage unnerves them, especially with regard to the “pantry” - food reserves that the animal instinctively creates. With the regular collapse of the closet, he comes to despair, unsuccessfully trying to find a more secluded place in the cell. Therefore, you need to clean the pet's house selectively, removing only products that are subject to deterioration. To reduce the stress of general cleaning, a little old filler and nest wipes are left in the cage.
Dzungariki have an independent character, and not too eager to communicate. To wean the animal to bite and fearlessly pick up, it will have to be tamed patiently day after day. To raise a hamster once and for life will not work: if you don’t contact him for 1-2 weeks, the pet will be shy again and handshaking will start anew.
To keep an animal with a nocturnal lifestyle means not to disturb him during the daytime sleep, being content with communication and watching him in the evening. We will have to endure noise at night: the hamster will run in the wheel, gnaw the cage bars and toys, dig filler, rustle paper in the house.
It is not difficult to take care of the dzungarik, the chores become even pleasant for the owner, sincerely attached to his pet. Pleasant habits and appearance make this species of dwarf hamsters the most common pet. With proper care, the animal will live 2 years or more. Although for a man this period seems regrettably small, in captivity hamsters live much longer than wild fellows.
If you consider Djungar hamster as your pet, then before you make a choice, we recommend also to get acquainted with the Syrian hamster. The Syrian hamster is almost not inferior to the jungar in popularity, but differs significantly from its counterpart.
Choosing a hamster
If you want your pet for a long time to please you with good health and good mood, approach its choice responsibly. To determine whether the animal is cool is not difficult. When buying, be sure to pay attention to the following points:
- The fur of the animal should be shiny and not have bald spots.
- Clear eyes, lack of suppuration and spots are an important indicator of the state of the animal.
- Be sure to inspect the anus of the animal and the fur around it. They should not be dirty. Diarrhea often indicates an infectious disease.
- The nose should be clean and have a pinkish color.
- If the dzungarik is sleeping, be sure to wake him up and watch the behavior. Hamsters are very active in nature. Apathy can be caused by illness or severe stress, which often happens in overcrowded and stuffy pet shop cells. It is known that during stress, animals are more susceptible to diseases, so give up the purchase.
Do not forget to think about the question. pet transportation home. For transportation hamster veterinarians recommend purchasing a special carrying. At its bottom should put a little sawdust, as well as a few pieces of carrots. If the transport takes more than 2 hours, be sure to provide the animal with access to water by hanging the water bowl.
You can carry a hamster on your hands only if he is not afraid of you and the road takes less than half an hour. This method is completely unsuitable for the first transportation of a dzungarik home.
In order for the Dzhungar hamster to somehow live some time in your house, he will need a cage (even the smallest, in an extreme case, an aquarium or 3-5 liter jar) for living, feed (you can put it right at the bottom of the cage) and drinking bowl. That is, the minimal spartan jungle set looks like this:
But we strongly advise against keeping a hamster in such conditions. Pity the animal. This is permissible only in rare cases, briefly or during transport.
For a normal living hamster, it is advisable to buy a bigger cage. It would be convenient to feed him from a special feeder. For physical development to get him a wheel, and for rest a small house. At the bottom of the cage, it is advisable to put a filler in order to keep the hamster's home clean longer and to soften its fall.
Therefore, the standard list of necessary things for Dzungarian hamsters is as follows:
- Medium size cage
- Drinking bowl
- Cage filling
With such a set, the hamster will feel quite comfortable and cozy.
Ideal all inclusive
If you do not regret the funds and want to create a hamster excellent conditions for life, then you will need to purchase all of the previous version. But it is advisable to buy a bigger cage: a two-story one with special pipes that replace the underground mink in a hamster.
In addition, the jungle will be happy to gnaw a special chalk stone for grinding teeth, besides eating the main food, eat special treats, occasionally walking around the apartment in a special ball and swimming in the fine sand.
- Spacious and comfortable cage
- Feeding trough (preferably divided into two compartments),
- Drinking bowl
- Wheel (always solid or with fine mesh),
- Cage filling
- Chalk stone
- Swimsuit and sand
- Ball for walking
Traditional cage with rods
This option is good because the hamster can actively practice climbing on the bars. Also, he will be provided with a comfortable temperature and constant fresh air.
The main disadvantages are the noise that a pet will make in it at night, and dirt. Be prepared for the fact that running and playing, the hamster will spread the filler around the floor surrounding the cage.
Also, the cage is not suitable for those who have other pets. A cat or dog can easily get to the dzungarik through the bars.
Many readers ask: "Is it possible to keep a dzungarika in an aquarium?" We answer: “It is possible. But there are drawbacks to this option. "
In the case of an aquarium, the pet's night noise will hardly bother you. But there are a lot of minuses: the complexity of cleaning, the obstruction of fresh air and the lack of exercise.
Be sure to purchase a pet small house. In it, he will be able to sleep, rest and hide, which will make his life much more comfortable. It is necessary to give preference to a wooden house. They are less durable than plastic, but nibble them harmlessly.
Some hamsters enjoy living in hanging houses. They are perfect if the cell is small or heavily packed.
There are also straw houses. As the main dwelling, it does not fit. But if you are looking for something to pamper a Dzungarik, think about such an acquisition.
The pledge of your pet's health in proper nutrition. Try to feed the dzungarika at the same time. Ideal 7-8 in the morning and 8 pm, when the hamster begins to wake up.
Morning feeding should include succulent feed, protein and boiled vegetables. In the evening you should give jungar dry food, cereal and some delicacy.
If you care for a pregnant female, feed her 4 times a day at regular intervals.
The basis of the diet of the dzungarik should be:
- dry food, designed specifically for Jungar hamsters,
- nuts (except almonds) and seeds,
- dried fruits,
- seedlings of grains
- berries without seeds (grapes are allowed in a small amount)
- fresh fruits and vegetables
- non-starchy vegetables cooked without salt
- fresh greens, lettuce leaves,
- leaves and dried twigs of deciduous and fruit trees,
- rose petals (purchased in a flower shop are not suitable, as they were treated with pesticides),
- locust bean and homemade croutons as a treat.
The protein component of the menu (several times a week in a small amount):
- boiled chicken fillet,
- low fat boiled fish,
- natural yogurt, kefir and cottage cheese,
- boiled egg white.
As food for sick, thin or pregnant hamsters, you can use baby food without salt and sugar, porridge, cooked in water.
With constipation, you can give a drop of vegetable oil, and with diarrhea, sticky rice will help.
What not to give jungaric
List of banned products:
- spices, sugar and salt,
- ice cream,
- cookies, chocolate,
- garlic and onions,
- bones of fruit
- milk, cream, sour cream,
- sausages, sausages,
- coniferous branches.
The unpleasant smell of the cell will not bother you if you regularly clean it once in 1-1.5 weeks. Drain the hamster into the carrier. Remove the dirty filler, leaving a small amount (so the hamster will feel more comfortable), and fill up fresh. Once a month, do a wet cleaning, washing the bottom of the cage with water and soap.
Never wash a hamster in water! If you notice that the pet's coat has fallen and does not shine, arrange a sand bath for him. To do this, purchase a special swimsuit (a three-liter jar will do) and chinchilla sand. Pour some sand into the bathing room and run the jungar there. Soon you will watch him floundering in the sand and cleaning his skin.
As you can see, the care for jungars is not very complicated. Regularly clean the cage, provide the hamster with access to water and fresh food and, of course, play with it regularly. These simple measures will ensure your pet a happy and healthy life!
Appearance and colors of Jungar hamsters
An ordinary adult representative of this species grows in length up to 10 centimeters and weighs about 50 grams. The body of the animal is covered with thick short-haired fur. The natural color of fluff consists of gray-brown tones with a pronounced dark stripe along the entire spine, which makes it easy to distinguish a representative of this species from other breeds. On the tummy the wool is lighter. The black dzhungarikov eyes are shiny and slightly protruding.
At home and in nurseries displayed several decorative types of fluffy. Dzungarian hamsters (see photo) can have "tangerine" (light brown, red or golden hues), "sapphire" (gray-blue) or "pearl" (white) colors.
Dzhungariki never black or albino. If under the guise of a Dzhungar hamster dishonest sellers are trying to sell rodents of this color, most likely this is another species of dwarf rodents - Campbell's hamster. Dzungarian hamster in the photo and live looks very different. Dzhungariki are not long-haired - only “Syrians” can boast of such a “fur coat”.
The unusual color of the rodent, the less it is resistant to stress and adverse conditions. In particular, red haired hamsters are the owners of the lethal gene, which is why they are not recommended to cross each other.
Maintenance and care
Taking care of the jungar is not too difficult, and even a child will cope with this task. The main thing is to properly organize the life and food of the pet. A hamster should have not only its own dwelling, but also other accessories. Many are also interested in how long the Jungar hamster lives. With proper care and a balanced diet, the life of "Fuzzies" is about two years. Very little by human standards, however, in the wild nature of the animal of this species lives even less. True, in some reviews caring breeders can be read that their pets live up to 4 years.
Since the dzungar hamster is not large, it can be kept in a glass aquarium. However, the “fluffy” will feel much more comfortable in a single-tier cell measuring 50x30x30 centimeters. It is necessary to equip a house for a rodent, to establish a running wheel, a feeding trough and a drinking trough. Since hamsters do not like to swim, there is enough sand tank for hygienic procedures.
The bottom of the cage is filled with a thick layer of sawdust (the budget option) or a special filler, which is sold in pet stores.
It is important to remember that two (or more) dzungarik badly coexist in the same territory, they can constantly fight, so it is advisable to separate them from each other. Accordingly, you will need more than one cage and not only accessories for keeping rodents.
Кормить джунгарских хомяков также несложно, если запомнить несколько простых правил. Прежде всего, надо усвоить, что основной рацион «пушистика» должны составлять различные зерносмеси. Их можно приготовить собственными руками или купить в зоомагазинах. The second option is preferable, since manufacturers add vitamins and minerals necessary for rodents to these mixtures.
In addition to cereals, dzungariki willingly eat juicy food (fruits, vegetables, herbs, berries), nuts. Pet food must be balanced. From time to time he can be given protein foods (low-fat cottage cheese, boiled chicken brisket, boiled liver), but in small quantities. Since the hamster loves not only to “eat” the food, but also to hide it on a “rainy day”. Care must be taken to ensure that there are no perishable products left in the cage that can lead to diseases of the pet and even its death.
Hamsters need to be fed every day. It is advisable to do this in the evening, when the "Fluffy" wakes up, washes and prepares for its long "races." And also every day it is necessary to change the water in the drinker.
Clean - the guarantee of health
At least once every three days in the pet's cage must be removed. The remnants of succulent feed, meat and liver, it is desirable to clean in a timely manner to prevent spoilage. A litter can be changed to the extent that feces accumulate. Hamsters are fairly clean animals that organize themselves a toilet corner in a cage. To teach them to "go to the toilet" is not necessary.
General cleaning with a complete replacement of the filler and washing the cage is stressful for rodents, so this procedure should preferably be carried out no more than once a week. With warm water and laundry soap, it is necessary to process all accessories: a cage, a running wheel, a house, toys.
Hamsters are very sensitive to rearrangements in their home, so it is advisable to put the house, the wheel and the feeder in the same places. Very sadly, “Fuzzies” are experiencing a loss of supplies, which they instinctively accumulate in their homes. Therefore, when replacing the filler, you can only remove spoilage products, leaving the grain in its place.
Djungar hamsters are independent, so they are not very eager to communicate with their masters. In some cases, a disturbed "fluffy" can even bite the hand that feeds it. To wean the pet from such a habit, it must be brought up every day, taking into his arms. But to raise a pet once and for all will not work. If you do not communicate with him for 7-10 days, he will again become “wild”, and you will have to start the educational process first.
So that the furry neighbor does not bite, you should not get him out of the house during daytime sleep, you can not lower his head down, drive him into a corner.
Diseases of the Dzungarik
Representatives of this species of rodents sometimes get sick. The most common disease of Dzungarik is diabetes. The disease develops from malnutrition, so you need to carefully monitor the pet's diet.
Wet bedding and drafts can cause colds. In addition, the owners of "fluffy" can catch colds. To strengthen the immunity of the animals, it is desirable to give fresh lettuce and parsley.
Characteristic diseases of dzhungarik are internal diseases. Moreover, if a cataract can appear closer to old age, the young hamster can also become sick with conjunctivitis, especially if its owner rarely cleans the cage.
The abundance of fatty foods increases the development of various tumors in rodents. The mechanism of their appearance has not yet been studied.
Sometimes fluffy animals suffer from skin diseases that are accompanied by hair loss or dandruff. Skin diseases cause stressful situations in which the pet finds itself or individual intolerance to some substance.
The animal may be injured when falling from a height by pushing the foot between the bars of the cage. Not a single pet is insured against sprains and fractures.
Ticks and fleas cause parasitic diseases.
However, following the principles of proper care and taking care of the cleanliness of the pet's home, many diseases can be avoided. A caring pet owners will look cheerful and well-groomed. But if the behavior of the animal, the state of his coat, the refusal of food are evidence of deviation from the norm, it is desirable to show the pet to the veterinarian.
Dzungariki very early may produce offspring. They become sexually mature at 4-6 weeks from birth. However, it is better not to happen at such early periods of “fluffies”, since an early pregnancy can lead to the fact that the female will die in the first birth. Experienced breeders recommend a couple at the age of 6 months.
Unlike the wild nature, where animals breed only in the warm season, at home the offspring of the dzungarik can appear year-round. Pregnancy lasts 21-24 days. Newborn hamsters are born bare and with eyes closed. In one litter can be from 1 to 11 animals. Surprisingly, a day after the birth of the babies, their mother is ready for the next fertilization.
Care and maintenance of a pet are not burdensome. Giving “fluffy” a few minutes a day, you can genuinely become attached to your pet, having received a faithful friend in return for whom it is interesting to watch, despite its “unfriendliness”. A caring life for a dzungarik will live a happy life, and the cost of a hamster will pay off indescribable joy of communication.