Domestic cats with their appearance bring peace and tranquility. Become friends for children and speechless companions for adults. In psychology, there is a whole section of science of treating various diseases with the help of cats. And along with all the positive moments, with them allergies to cats come to the house. People can live all their lives next to the cats, and then suddenly fall ill. It turns out that allergies are a very common disease that adults, children and even animals themselves are ill with.
Causes of Cat Allergies
There are many causes of cat allergy, some of which are:
- Various manifestations of allergic reactions are a hereditary disease. If the parents have symptoms of allergy to the cat, then almost with certainty we can say that the children will also be sick,
- Age is of great importance. Children, the least protected from various allergenic irritants. Therefore, they are at greater risk of contracting cat allergy than adults,
- Frequent and prolonged chronic diseases, polluted ecology and poor-quality food, weakening of the immune system leads to the disease of allergies,
- Infection of the body with helminths, which were not removed in time at domestic cats. The worst thing is that even a very small child can easily become infected. This happens if someone from his environment has been in contact with a sick cat, and then has washed it poorly, or has not washed its hands at all.
The research revealed that cats, kittens and cats are the largest carriers of allergens than dogs. And many are mistaken, considering that the animal's hair is allergenic. In fact, saliva, urine and dead skin particles of cats cause various allergic and painful reactions of the body.
Cats are great lovers to take a walk on the street. It is from their walks that they bring pollen, poplar down, road dust to wool. After such walks and an allergy to the cat.
Symptoms of Cat Allergies
Our body, gives a variety of reactions to the appearance of the allergen inside it. It may be:
- The most common cold, which is often confused with colds. And while the person is taking cold treatment, the cat allergy progresses,
- Nasal sinus congestion, which is also perceived by many as a cold or simply hypothermia of the body,
- Eyes begin to water, itching and redness appear. Such symptoms can be confused even with conjunctivitis and again, take the wrong treatment,
- Frequent shortness of breath, signs of choking, and difficulty breathing are among the symptoms of cat allergy. This may be manifestations of bronchitis. And if there are cats in the house, then allergy to them cannot be ruled out,
- There are attacks of dry cough, especially at night, then the allergy progresses the most. Or in the lungs wheezing and whistling - this is manifested allergy to cat fur in adults,
- The throat is inflamed, the tonsils swell and hurt like a sore throat, it hurts to swallow, it is difficult to speak and breathe,
- The nervous system is destroyed, sleep is disturbed, a state of exhaustion appears.
All these symptoms cannot be ignored, otherwise allergy asthma may appear without taking treatment. In rare cases, cat allergies lead to angioedema.
Many people often overlook the signs of allergy to cats, because they consider allergies to be a spring disease. This is all a wrong, erroneous opinion. This disease haunts people year round.
At the first suspicion of allergic reactions of the body, you need to immediately seek help from an allergist doctor. It will be necessary to be examined, find out the causes of an allergic reaction of the body. After all, this is not just protection from allergenic irritants. This bell, a warning about a very serious disease.
Sadly, once ill with allergies, it will not be possible to get rid of her forever. But it is always possible to significantly alleviate the condition of the body during periods of exacerbation and to strengthen the immune system. After all, allergies to cats, like all other diseases, necessarily require prevention and treatment.
Symptoms of allergies to kittens
Small fluffy lumps also cause allergic reactions of the body, like their adult parents. Since they are the most playful, and after hanging out with kittens, there are often scratches on their hands. First of all, you need to wash your hands well and treat the scratched area with hydrogen peroxide or any alcohol tincture. And then observe the reaction of the body.
If itching, redness around the wound or various rashes appear in the affected area, and blisters may appear, then most likely it is an allergy to the kitten.
Small kittens from their mother can become infected with worms, and pass their eggs on pieces of wool to their owner. That will necessarily lead to allergic reactions.
Allergic reactions to kittens do not necessarily immediately occur, they can come after a while.
In general, it is considered that kittens are more hypoallergenic than adult cats.
Allergy policy with cats
If someone from the home still expressed allergy to the cat's fur. And in the house already lives a beloved pet, and besides, he is hypoallergenic breed. All the same, you do not need to lose vigilance and follow the following rules to avoid aggravation of allergies to cats:
- At any time of the year, in any weather, it is necessary to ventilate the room. Do it in the morning, afternoon and evening. It will be enough to open the window for just five minutes,
- Collect as much as possible in your home things that are clinging to dust and cat's fur (soft toys, furniture ottomans, carpets, curtains, down and feather pillows and blankets). If such interior items are present in the home, they should be cleaned as often as possible,
- It is advisable to purchase furniture in the house with a leather covering, which is easily wiped with a damp cloth,
- All personal belongings and clothes, bedding should be cleaned in the wardrobes, so that cat hair does not cling to them,
- Contact the cat as little as possible, and after each squeeze with your pet, wash your hands and wash your face. It would also be ideal to change clothes so that the next day the particles of wool did not irritate the human body,
- Every day, be sure to carry out light wet cleaning of the home with the addition of special tools. Also vacuum, clean, and moisten the air. After all, nothing scares off allergens like fresh air and a clean, damp room.
Try to teach the cat to its separate, equipped sleeping place. So that they would not enter the bedroom at all, and certainly not comb it out on the bed of their owners.
The same applies to the place reserved for feces from cats. If the animal is not walking, in order to avoid the spread of allergens in the apartment, they are also present in the urine of animals. It is necessary to put a toilet tray in a specially designated room, it is desirable that it be well ventilated, and clean it as often as possible.
If signs of allergies do occur, preventive measures should be taken with the caudate household.:
- Every week, buy a cat with special shampoos and hypoallergenic means under running water. If it is an ordinary shampoo, it can, on the contrary, cause desquamation and irritation of the skin in an animal, which will exacerbate its allergies.
- In addition to swimming, cats need to wash their faces every day.
- Revise and balance the cat's diet. Food should not cause avitaminosis, allergies, loss of hair in the animals themselves, so as not to provoke an allergy in the owner of his animal,
- Be sure to regularly undergo a routine inspection of the animal and be vaccinated against worms and other parasites,
- An altered cat is least dangerous in terms of allergy, so the owners resort to such a procedure so as not to get rid of a fluffy bundle of happiness.
As you know, females are also the least allergenic. Cats with a light coat are less likely to cause allergic reactions.
Cat Allergy Treatments
After contacting the clinic, appropriate examinations will be conducted. Be sure to make tests for allergenic stimuli. Maybe the cat has nothing to do with it.
Allergy treatment is carried out with the help of medications. The doctor prescribed pills and sorbents, or recommend antihistamine creams and gels. You can buy them at any pharmacy, freely available, without a doctor's prescription. With more severe signs of allergy to cats, or intolerance to pills, you can prescribe a course of immunotherapy.
Many successfully deal with the symptoms of cat allergy, resorting to traditional medicine, using a variety of herbal teas and decoctions:
- Nettle leaves decoction - helps cleanse the blood, stops the spread of the allergen in the body, removes unpleasant symptoms. Ready to drink broth before a meal, half a tablespoon, a day four times. For its preparation, you will need a tablespoon of dried nettle leaves, pour in a saucepan. Then pour a liter of boiling water and simmer for very low heat for no more than five minutes. After, insist for an hour. To store the prepared broth in the refrigerator.
- Decoction of field chamomile flowers - used as a lotion, and for washing with various types of rash and soothing itching. In a liter jar pour 50 grams of dried grass and pour it to the top with boiling water. Cover with a lid or towel and leave to infuse for about an hour. Use ready-made decoction three times a day.
In each person, the manifestations of allergy to cats can manifest themselves in different ways:
- Starts to lay the nose, there are snot and frequent sneezing.
- Irritation of the eyes, their redness.
- Cough, shortness of breath.
- Rash on the skin in the form of redness.
- Severe itching.
All the described symptoms may begin to appear immediately after stroking the cat or after a few minutes, hours. As a rule, a third of people with asthma, when a cat appears, symptoms begin to get stronger.
Before blaming your pet for allergies, you need to go to the doctor for research and get his advice. An animal may not be the cause of these symptoms. If the problem appeared with the appearance of a fluffy animal at home, then during therapy, it is recommended to give the pet to friends or a relative. In addition, to accurately determine the problem in the hospital, you will need to donate blood for tests, as well as skin tests.
As a rule, the treatment is carried out using conventional methods that can be used in combination or by themselves. Treatment is prescribed based on how the symptoms of the disease appear in an adult:
- You can use antihistamines that will block chemicals that cause allergies.
- If complications of the problem begin, namely, swelling and stagnation of mucus, then anti-edema drugs are used for the treatment.
- The doctor may prescribe medications for certain symptoms.
- In some cases, the patient is treated only with the help of injections. This method of treatment is relatively long, but the effect will be noticeable quickly.
Unfortunately, to date, they have not yet come up with such drugs that will relieve allergies to cats completely. Symptoms after treatment may reappear, and medications will only alleviate the problem. Therefore, it is best to refuse an adult to communicate with cats. It is also recommended to use some tips that will reduce the suffering of a person:
- Contact with the pet should be avoided; even minimal contact can be harmful.
- It is necessary to try to spend less time with people who have a cat at home, as there may be wool on clothes that will be invisible to the eye.
- When visiting guests with cats in the house, you must use hypoallergenic drugs and ask friends not to let the cat into the room while they are having a meeting or a party.
If the pet already lives in an apartment or house, then it is better to get rid of the pet, give it to relatives and friends. But not always, it turns out, to determine your pet in good hands, then there is another way out - the correct behavior:
- It is necessary to touch the animal as little as possible, and any other family member should take care of it.
- It is recommended not to let a pet in the rooms where the sick person is most often, especially in the bedroom.
- When living in a private house, you should make a separate house for a cat, somewhere on the street or in another room, possibly in a barn or garage.
- Constantly need to carry out cleaning the house with water, especially in those places where the pet is most often and can leave scraps of wool.
- Carpets in the room must be removed, especially if they have a long nap, since such an attribute will only attract allergens.
- In order not to carry out the treatment and get rid of the symptoms of allergies, you should consider and install a high-quality ventilation system, as well as means for purifying the air. If there is no possibility to do this, then it will be necessary to ventilate the house more often and simply quartz the rooms.
- The cat should always remain clean, and to reduce hair loss, you just need to brush your pet more often.
Such tips can help you 100% when an adult’s allergy does not manifest itself in a vivid form. If the condition gradually improves, you must still be careful, because it is impossible to completely cure the disease and it may reappear. In case of deterioration, you should consult a doctor in order not to start the allergy and start to treat it promptly.
Cats, the most beloved by people, the most gentle and affectionate, at the same time the most characteristic animals. Due to its grace, intelligence, softness and independence, this animal has won a lot of fans. But many people are prone to allergies and suffer from the inability to have a pet. Allergy to cats symptoms in different people gives a variety, sometimes similar in symptoms to other diseases. Before you start a fluffy beauty in the house, you should first find out if any of the members of the household suffer from a similar illness, so as not to part painfully with the beloved beauty.
Allergies to cats in children
It is necessary to realize that allergy to cats in children gives a manifestation of the symptoms of the disease, as in adults. However, recent studies of allergists have revealed an interesting pattern: allergy to cats in children occurs much less frequently in those who have been in contact with the cat at the most tender, infantile age.
It is possible that the child, constantly communicating with the animal during the first year of his life, gradually gets used to the presence of allergens, his growing body produces special immune cells. Even if the child had all the genetic predisposition to allergies, its signs would be minimal.
Allergies to cats in children, according to researchers, occur even less often if the house with the baby contained not one cat, but several fluffy creatures.
When a child is old enough, it is better to first determine whether the child has this unpleasant disease. To do this, you can conduct a test, having been in a house with a cat. Or, before buying a fluffy lump, you need to make the necessary allergy tests, which with 100% accuracy will determine the disease. In case of detection of the disease it is impossible to allow the child to contact with the animal, and even more so acquire a cat.
If an allergy is found in one of the family members, you should find out the true cause of it. This will help all the same allergy tests. It may happen that the cat itself or the products of its excretory system serve as an allergen, for example, cat litter or cat dry food.
If the cat itself is the cause of the disease, a logical question arises: is it possible to cure allergies without parting with your pet? Medicine is inclined to believe that any treatment will be ineffective if the source of the disease and close contacts with it are always present in a person’s life. The attending physician will certainly advise to get rid of the cat, having attached it in good hands.
Recently, however, supporters of a revolutionary approach to this problem have appeared. Answering the question how to treat allergies, they say that the source of healing lies in the cause of the disease, offering to be treated by the animals themselves, specifying that there is no full guarantee of the success of such treatment.
This method suggests not to get rid of the cat at once, but to try to heal by producing immunity to the allergen itself. When a kitten appears in the house, if someone from the family is allergic to cats, the symptoms of which are clearly expressed, you should go to an allergist to prescribe the necessary antihistamine drugs.
Then it is worth waiting for two or three weeks, taking medications and limiting contacts with the cat quite a bit, at the same time, not excluding them completely. It is possible that the allergy in this case will pass completely or its manifestations will be greatly reduced.
Нужно все же понимать, что одновременно с тем в доме аллергика, решившего сосуществовать с пушистой красавицей на одной территории, должны соблюдаться достаточно строгие гигиенические правила.
- Ежедневная влажная уборка, протирание пыли во всех уголках и на всех поверхностях.
- Купание кошки успешно удаляет отмершие частички с ее кожи. The maximum effect is achieved by water treatments for pets every two days. In this case, it is best to start a Scythian, because they just need frequent bathing. Also, they can and should be wiped with wet wipes, removing the greasy secret from the body. Consequently, dandruff from the body does not scatter throughout the house.
- Keeping the cat's lot clean. Putting the tray is best where the least able to contact him.
- Allergy sufferers will have to get rid of all sorts of carpets, carpets, plush capes and upholstered furniture with a fabric covering, which is not subject to daily cleaning with a rag.
- The animal must not be allowed to lie on the bed or lie on the bed, leaving its footprints on it. From this it follows that it is better to prohibit the animal from entering the bedroom altogether, excluding the appearance of kitty wool and saliva on the bed.
- An allergic person should know that he should avoid close contact with the cat. You can not bury your nose in her soft fur, you do not need to kiss and hold your darling, after stroking the animal you will have to wash your hands every time.
Systematic visits to the allergist are also necessary. A person can monitor their reactions, at the slightest change it is necessary to seek medical advice. May require periodic replacement of anti-allergic drugs.
But doctors have repeatedly recorded cases of complete healing from allergies to cats. It does not happen overnight, sometimes it takes a lot of time. It happens that a person is allergic to a particular, his cat. Contact with someone else's fluffy causes aggravation of the disease.
This is due to the development of immunity to the usual irritant. However, as in the case of children, the gradual acquisition of a second pet, further reduces the manifestations of the disease. And after the third cat appears in the house, a person can completely forget that he was once sick.
Allergic to cats — the negative reaction of the immune system to foreign protein in saliva, urine, feces and dead skin of an animal that enters the body of the patient by air and dust. Moreover, allergens can also be pollen, mold and fluff on cats' paws.
How is allergy to cats in newborns
This type of atopy appears most often in newborns. Not fully formed immunity of the child is sensitive to a potential allergen.
At risk are:
- premature babies,
- children whose parents are allergic,
- impaired kids treated with antibiotics.
In infants allergy to cats occurs almost immediately after meeting with the animal or its protein.
Symptoms of cat allergies are as follows:
- allergic rhinitis,
- red eyes,
- rashes on the skin of a different nature,
- difficulty breathing
- unproductive cough
If the baby is not isolated from the allergen, the following pathologies may develop:
- allergic skin diseases of varying severity,
- anaphylactic shock,
- Quincke swelling,
- general weakening of the body, becoming available to defeat all sorts of bacteria and viruses,
- bronchial asthma.
To successfully cure your baby, you must perform the following preventive measures:
- hygiene by all family members, especially attention should be paid to hand washing,
- often ventilate the room where the child is
- do wet cleaning every day,
- remove old furniture, carpets and heavy curtains from the apartment,
- prevent the appearance of a cat next to the child (it should not enter the room of the newborn),
- not to allow things baby to the animal,
- use an ionizer, humidifier and air purifier,
- in all possible ways to increase the immunity of the child,
- if possible, exclude the child from taking medicines, excluding the medicines prescribed by the doctor for the current disease,
- If possible, do not vaccinate the baby until the time of kindergarten,
- wash your pet with special shampoo,
- comb the animal's hair (not in the house),
- to castrate a cat
- properly feed the animal to maintain its health.
If the child does not have acute signs of allergy after therapy and preventive measures, the cat should be found a new home.
How is cat allergy manifested in adults
Allergies to cats in adults develop due to the following risk factors:
- genetic predisposition
- weakened immunity
- hypersensitivity to the allergen,
- inflammatory diseases of the digestive tract (duodenitis, ulcer, gastritis, ileitis, colitis, etc.),
- liver disease,
- taking certain medications
- worm infestation,
- aggressive environmental factors (radiation, stress, noise, pollution of food, air and water),
- long antibiotic intake.
The main symptoms of the disease are discussed in the table below.
Why does an allergic reaction occur?
Usually, the content of antibodies in the blood is not significant, and when there are too many of them, painful symptoms of varying severity appear. What does this look like?
Antibodies "attack" on "outsiders" (they are foreign proteins, allergens) and settle on the membranes of "fat cells", where the active substances are stored.
Histamine - active substance, participating in the destruction of foreign proteins - is actively released from the "fat cells". During the conflict between “own” and “alien”, a focus of inflammation arises, where neutralization and utilization of other molecules occurs. And in the case of a harmless allergen, the body turns on the immune system, in fact, against itself.
Externally, this process is manifested in the form of inflammatory reactions: rash, itching, mucus production in large quantities and its discharge, cough, runny nose, conjunctivitis, and various edemas.
However, such a vigilant immune system is not so bad.
Medicine claims that allergy sufferers are much less susceptible to malignant tumors.
What caused the disease? How fast is it manifested?
Allergen can be almost everything: from household and medicinal chemistry to pollen, particles of foreign sweat, alcohol, dust, wool, metals and other substances. With the deterioration of the environment allergy manifests itself in an increasing number of people. So the body is protected from an aggressive external environment.
According to statistics, today allergies are prone to one of the five inhabitants of the planet. The "leaders" are allergic to animals, and especially to cats. How to recognize a pet allergy?
Unfortunately, it is impossible to determine immediately. Usually, an allergy becomes understandable when the dependence of the appearance of ailments on contact with an animal is revealed. This is possible only after temporary observation.
Alternate allergies indirectly heredity. If there were allergies in the family - the risk of allergies increases.
And not necessarily allergens may be the same: the nature of the malaise is rooted in the behavior of the immune system, and not in specific substances and reactions to them.
The reaction to cats is expressed differently, but they are attacked, first of all, by the skin, eyes, respiratory tract and blood. The reaction can vary in intensity: from slight itching, rhinitis or reddening of the eyes to the most severe consequences in the form of anaphylactic shock, angioedema, weeping ulcers, similar to eczema and other acute ailments.
What exactly causes a protective reaction when in contact with an animal?
The source of trouble is a special protein - cat protein. Entering into interaction with the "native" protein, it causes a reaction of the immune system, and a large amount of antibodies are released into the blood, causing, in turn, the release of histamine.
Feline allergen is not only found in wool, as is commonly believed. Aggressive protein is literally everywhere:
- in wool,
- in keratinized skin scales (cat dander),
- in the saliva of an animal,
- in stool,
- in claws.
Danger is all: even places where the cat loves to be. Protein particles remain on plaids, carpets, on a bed, on an armchair - everywhere a pet leaves “protein” traces. Therefore, if there is a painful predisposition, a cute pet turns into a threat, into a “walking bomb”.
Allergies to cats: symptoms
The first signs of an allergy to cats can appear immediately, in acute form, or after a while.
- Slow development of indisposition is relatively safe..
It can grow gradually, acquiring new “surprises”. Sometimes, after an abrupt cessation of contact with the pet, the washing of clothes and linen, a thorough wet cleaning and airing of the room, the reaction subsides and disappears. In such cases, conventional antihistamines and forethought are sufficient.
Immediate acute reactions are dangerous..
Since the body can not cope with the pace and intensity of an allergic reaction, the consequences can be fatal. Therefore, in the case of rapidly increasing indisposition, it is necessary to call an ambulance and provide allergy qualified medical assistance without delay.
The manifestation of allergies to cats can be different, depending on the nature of the contact:
- If a person stroked a cat, the skin may react, itching will appear, sometimes redness, a slight rash, like with a urticaria.
With longer contact, oozing blisters may appear. If the pet's favorite claws, a strong inflammatory process can occur at the site of contact, and a strong and painful swelling at the site of skin damage.
If cat protein is added to the eyes, it can develop. conjunctivitis.
It can also be expressed with varying severity: from red eye, itching, burning, photophobia, tearing - to vitreous edema on the surface of the cornea, inflammation of the blood vessels of the eyes, severe swelling of the inner surface of the lower and upper eyelids, and even blepharitis.
In critical cases, a sticky, pus-like, white, thread-like protein lumps that cause pain can also be released from the eyes. Blinking can become painful.
Often the cat allergen affects the respiratory tract.
It manifests itself as allergic rhinitis, severe bronchitis, bronchial asthma. A person sneezes, a runny nose appears, sometimes the nasopharynx becomes inflamed and swollen, the tonsils swell, and it becomes difficult to swallow.
You may experience a dry cough, itching in the trachea, difficulty in breathing, choking, a feeling of lack of air, a strong vale and wheezing during exhalation with the urge to cough.
Such conditions are unsafe, and if contact with the pet continues, bronchial asthma may occurWith asthma attacks, and in extreme - very dangerous - manifestation, Quincke’s edema can be shaken up, and this is a real threat to life.
What breeds of felines are safe?
Since the allergen is cat protein, and not wool, the fact that the cat stays in a residential area with vulnerable allergies is dangerous for health.
When choosing a pet, the question arises: which animals are safe from the standpoint of allergens. The answer may disappoint animal lovers. Fully hypoallergenic cats do not happen. Even a "bald" representative of the cat family is able to bring a person to a serious attack.
True, there are interesting observations:
- Kittens usually do not cause a violent defensive reaction of the organism, and it flows easily, without acute symptoms. The more mature the pet, the more aggressive its protein.
- If the house is not one, but several animals, the allergic risk is reduced.
Allergies to cats are not fatal. If the painful symptoms do not go beyond the "red line", where it comes to a threat to health and life, you can not part with a fluffy or hairless pet for good.
True, you will always need to consider the risk of an allergic attack, have on hand the right medications, from time to time to consult a doctor, strictly observe the hygiene of the home, animal and your own. It is advisable not to let a pet in places where a vulnerable person is most often: a bedroom, a study, a kitchen.
Ideal - living in a private house, when the cat has the opportunity to be on the street most of the time.
What is cat allergy?
We have already told that wool allergy is not quite what it seems. Allergy is not caused by the animal’s own coat, but by the proteins from pet secretions (particles of skin, saliva, urine). This is also true in case of allergy to cats' hair - an atypical reaction of the body to the caudate is caused by cat protein, which “disperses” in all places where the animal is: they remain on the floor, furniture, walls, can even be eaten. Of course, most allergens also get on wool. The famous cat's cleanliness adds problems: they constantly lick the skin, leaving allergenic saliva proteins on it. As a result, cat hair, without being allergenic in itself, is a carrier of allergens.
Unfortunately, there is no quick and simple treatment for cat allergies: even medications only relieve symptoms, but do not eliminate the cause.
Symptoms and signs of allergy to cats
Allergies to cats in children and adults can have manifestations of different types.
Respiratory symptoms of allergies to cats:
- allergic rhinitis (rhinitis),
- nasal congestion,
- itching and burning in the nose and throat,
- swelling of the nasopharynx.
Respiratory symptoms are expressed with different strengths. Someone may spend several hours in the cat's society and only at the end of this period will begin to sneeze, and someone suffocates as soon as the cat appears in the field of view. Some people even react to the owner of the cat if there are particles of saliva or animal hair on his clothes.
Skin manifestations of allergies to cats:
- dry and irritated skin
- itching and burning,
- redness, rash and blisters on the skin.
Skin symptoms of cat fur allergy occur when in contact with a pet. If your allergy is manifested on the skin, then you may be lucky. At the very least, it is much easier for you to avoid interaction with allergens than for those who are allergic to respiratory symptoms.
Food allergies to cats:
- stomach pains
Food symptoms may occur if cat allergens are ingested. Such symptoms are possible in case of allergy to cats in children: kids are pulling everything in their mouths, including cat toys.
How else is allergy to cats? Other symptoms may be added to the listed symptoms:
- inflammation and swelling of the eyes, heavy tearing,
- irritability, lethargy, headache.
As you can see, the signs of allergy to cats are varied. However, they are not unique: your cat may not be the culprit in the head cold. Therefore, before deciding your fate with your pet, it is necessary to diagnose allergies with confidence.
Diagnosing Allergies To Cats
Your doctor will prescribe you a referral for medical tests for allergies to cats. Such an allergy is easily diagnosed using skin tests or a blood test for a specific immunoglobulin E. In some allergenic centers, you can even test for your compatibility with a specific cat - for this you need to bring pieces of its hair (with high probability there is allergenic protein on it).
Such a diagnosis gives accurate results, but self-diagnosis can fail. Symptoms of allergies to cats in children and adults are easily confused with other diseases.
Here are the most common cases of erroneous diagnosis of allergies to cats:
- Cats that walk by themselves can bring particles of pollen and mildew from the street on their fur, and they, in turn, can cause an allergy to the owner of the cat
- An undesirable reaction may be caused not by the cat, but by its accessories: food, toilet filler, shampoo, toys.
- A cat can infect a host with a disease. For example, manifestations of chlamydia, scabies tick and depriving a person are similar to allergic reactions. That is why it is necessary to carefully monitor the pet's health and regularly show it to the vet.
If a medical analysis of allergies to cats revealed an incompatibility with you, but you cannot imagine your life without a meowing tail, then you have to make several important decisions. Most likely, in the name of prevention will also need to adjust the lifestyle.
Ways to identify cat allergies
Если же человеку незнакомо такое состояние, как аллергия на кошку, как проявляется этот недуг, он с точностью сказать не может, то при возникших подозрениях, прежде чем навсегда распрощаться с домашним любимцем, стоит посетить врача. Perhaps the pet has nothing to do with the allergic reaction that the host has.
In order to verify this, the specialist will offer to conduct allergy tests. However, it should be borne in mind that standard tests are not always informative and effective. This is due to the fact that the allergens used for them are taken from the "average" cat (mongrel animal), while the allergens still have some minor so-called "pedigree" features. In more modern allergic centers, it is possible to conduct a test based on an individually prepared reagent, which can be pet hair, urine or saliva.
Errors in the home diagnosis of allergies
If, after the appearance of a cat in the house, one of the household members showed signs of conjunctivitis, dermatitis or rhinitis, before making the sentence “animal allergy”, it is necessary to carefully analyze the situation and make sure that there are no other reasons for the appearance of these symptoms. First of all, you should check whether your pet has an invasive or infectious disease that can occur in both an animal and a person. Thus, diseases such as toxoplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, or chlamydia are often masked as conjunctivitis and allergic rhinitis. Redness and itching of the skin can be caused by tick infestation, known as scabies, or a fungal infection - deprived.
It should be borne in mind that in most cases, the cat itself, the external manifestations of the disease may be absent. So, in an animal that has had chlamydia, clinical manifestations of conjunctivitis may not be observed in the form of minor leaks from the eyes, but at the same time the pet, being a carrier of the infection, can infect their hosts.
On the skin of many cats can parasitize microscopic in its size tick - heiliyiella, which does not cause any problems for the animal. On the human skin, this parasite does not live, but, once on the skin, it can produce a bite, which will lead to itching and irritation in this place. Another common mistake in the "home diagnosis" of allergic reactions to a cat is the wrong definition of the allergen. So, it is likely that the cause of the allergic disease is not the pets themselves. In modern times, more and more people are faced with such phenomena as an allergy to cat food, zoo cosmetics, toilet fillers, toys and other accessories.
Useful tips on how to get rid of allergies to cats
- First of all, you should avoid prolonged close contact with the cat: less likely to take a pet in your arms, to stroke it. It is recommended to find an alternative to tactile communication. For example, it can be conversations, games with the use of "fishing rods", balls, observation of animals from the side.
- The territory of an apartment or house should be strictly “divided” with its four-legged friend. It is forbidden to let the cat in the bedroom allergic, especially in his bed.
- After talking with your pet or with its accessories, you must wash your hands thoroughly and even change clothes. Wash things with powder with special additives.
- It is recommended to remove items from the dwelling that can collect allergens on them: upholstered furniture, carpets, downy and woolen bedding.
- Daily it is necessary to carry out wet cleaning with anti-allergic agents in the apartment, use a vacuum cleaner with special filters, air cleaners.
The value of proper nutrition and regular washing of the cat
American studies have shown that washing a cat can significantly reduce the number of allergic irritants. However, over time, the level of allergens is restored, and therefore the animal must be washed every week. To do this, you can use both professional or anti-light shampoos, and plain water.
It is very important to feed your pet correctly. This is due to the fact that poor-quality feeding can adversely affect the cat's skin, causing molting and other injuries, which, in turn, increase the concentration of allergens in the environment.
How to cure allergies to cats with the use of drugs? The doctor first advises to take antihistamines that block the action of allergens. Some of them (“Klaritil” and “Benadril” medicines) can be purchased at the pharmacy on their own, while others (“Zyrtec” drug) are sold exclusively by prescription. If a cat allergy is diagnosed, what does traditional medicine recommend? Anti-edematics, which include the drugs "Allgra-D" and "Sudafed", have proven themselves to solve this problem. Their task is to reduce swelling and prevent mucosal stagnation.
Other medications can also help alleviate allergy symptoms. For example, Nasonex and Flonaz sprays traditionally used to eliminate the manifestations of allergic reactions are particularly effective.
One of the options for getting rid of allergies is the course of injections. But It is worth noting that such treatment, which, moreover, is not always effective, can last more than one year. This method of dealing with allergies is unsafe, and therefore it is forbidden for children under 5 years of age.
It is proved that cats, compared with cats, distribute significantly fewer allergens. Also, the younger the pet, the fewer stimuli from it. Sterilized and neutered four-legged friends are less allergenic than full-fledged cats.
Studies have found that, regardless of the breed and gender, allergic reactions to these dark-colored pets or animals occur in people much more often than on bright cats. Allergenic properties of saliva, urine and skin of animals do not depend on the length of wool and breed.
Knowing how to cure allergies to cats, and following the above recommendations for keeping a pet, you can get rid of unpleasant allergic manifestations without parting with your beloved four-legged friend.
Hypoallergenic cat breeds
It is believed that some feline breeds do not cause allergies. However, this is misleading.
Breeds of cats that do not cause allergies do not exist in nature at all - sad but true.
However, there is consolation: some breeds of cats are hypoallergenic. This means that they emit fewer allergens, although they can still cause unwanted symptoms.
Allergy sufferers should choose a cat for wool. Fluffy creatures with a thick undercoat should be avoided: they easily shed, and their wool spreads everywhere. But cats with dense curly hair, similar to astrakhan fur, lose hair less often and, consequently, less allergens from them. Cornish Rex cats can boast such hair.
Another option - hairless cats, sphinxes. Of course, they also secrete proteins, but it is easier to wash it off from bare skin than from wool. If you bathe the Sphinx 1-2 times a week, then there are good chances to get along with it. Wool will not scatter around the house, and you do not have to constantly bring cleanliness to shine in every corner, as is necessary with fluffy cats.
If you are going to have a kitten
First of all, you should study the cat breeds and choose hypoallergenic. If you do not like bald cats, be prepared for constant combing and water procedures.
If you buy a kitten from a breeder, be sure to discuss with him the opportunity to return it back. Allergies to cats are not uncommon, so breeders usually refer to such requests with understanding.
If you have a child, then explain to him that the cat appeared in the house at the time. If the allergy manifests itself in one of the household and has to part with the cat, the child will experience less than if you gave him a friend, and then suddenly took it.
If you already have a cat
Allergies to the cat may appear later than the cat. Usually these are the most dramatic stories: the cat has already become a member of the family, and it is absolutely impossible to imagine a house without it. If an allergic person himself cared for a cat, then the first thing to do is to delegate her care to someone else. If there is no volunteer, you can try to wear a gauze bandage or rubber gloves (depending on the area of symptoms) when you bathe and comb your pet.
Or another common case: in a family where there is a cat, the addition, and parents are afraid that the child will be allergic. The most important thing here is not to leave a tail without attention. Do not forget to take care of his nutrition and health. It is important to vaccinate the cat in time and regularly show it to the vet. Problems with the gastrointestinal tract, for example, can increase the molt and, accordingly, the manifestations of allergies to cat fur.
It is also believed that a neutered or sterilized animal produces less allergens.
If you firmly decided to leave the cat, then be prepared for the fact that you will need to carefully observe preventive measures, and they work together.