Increasingly, people are choosing country houses for permanent or at least seasonal living. Therefore, the desire to provide themselves not only with crops from the beds, but also with fresh chicken eggs is not only understandable, but also quite realizable. And if the opportunity to build a monumental structure under the chicken coop is not at all, then arrange for comfortable content for several layers under the force of almost everyone.
Moreover, there are many interesting options for country hens that will allow the chicken coop in the country to make not only a functional outbuilding, but also to turn it into an element of decor that sets the style of the entire backyard.
To provide the family with environmentally friendly products and to keep chickens in the country without hassle, it is enough to have a chicken coop. However, whatever the number of layers, to build a comfortable chicken house is a real science, because this house should not only be strong and beautiful, chickens should be comfortable and safe in it.
The location of the chicken coop in the country
It is better for a novice poultry farmer to build a chicken coop in a country house next to housing for quality supervision of pets, while not forgetting the need to ensure proper living conditions for the hens:
- The soil under the coop should be necessarily dry, and even better if it is sandy.
- If the soil is clayey, swampy, or often too wet, then measures should be taken to drain it out by draining moisture, constructing canals, pits, or filling the ground with sand. Moreover, the collected moisture can be redirected to the place reserved for bathing chickens.
- Well, if the area under the coop will have a slope to the southeast, which contributes to the best light.
- The coop in the country should be protected from drafts and penetrating wind, for which you can use green hedges or building structures.
- It is necessary to provide comfortable lawns for walking birds with mandatory shelters from the sun or weather.
- A shallow pool is also desirable for swimming.
If these recommendations of keeping chickens in the country house are not followed, the bird may become lethargic, the hens will give less eggs, and the diseases of the chickens are not excluded. Moreover, the bird is equally negatively affected by its overheating without sufficient shading from the sun, and increased humidity, overcrowding and cold.
DIY building a chicken coop
If you are going to build a chicken coop in the country, you should consider all these features and try to provide future tenants with all the conditions for comfort.
The ceiling should be a reliable protection not only from the sun's rays, but also excessive heating of the bird's house, which can lead not only to bird lethargy, but also to the development of colonies of oppressive chickens of parasites.
The floor in the chicken coop must be warm and reliable, but at the same time breathing, so that there is no excessive moisture, leading to the development of mold and mildew.
Therefore, brick, asphalt or stone flooring is not suitable for the house. On the cold floor, chickens will suffer from rheumatism and other foot diseases.
So for the conditions of the middle band, the best option is a two-layer floor made of wood.
Arranging a chicken coop in the country
Comfort for laying hens in the hen house is:
- In plenty of space, the bird is recommended to provide at least 50 square meters. cm square.
- Available feeders and drinkers available
- In located at different heights nashestah.
- In the equipped nests where the hens of a hen will be located at the dacha.
- In good lighting and ventilation.
In places of feeding and in the nests, bedding is made from straw, which must be regularly cleaned and renewed.
If the winter maintenance of a bird is supposed, then it is important to provide a special place for swimming and self-deliverance from the parasites, covered up to ten centimeters mixed with ash and gray sand.
The more birds accumulate in a limited area, the greater the risk of infections and other diseases in chickens. Therefore, it is important to provide chickens with a sufficient place for walking, which increases the egg production of laying hens and the fatness of meat breeds.
To this end, chickens, especially in spring, are separated by 10 to 12 birds, giving them separate areas for walking.
Perches for laying hens in the country
Having made a chicken coop in the country with their own hands, the cottager should pay attention to the arrangement of nests, where it will be convenient for the chickens to lay eggs.
A dozen chickens make at least two or three nests, and in the summer, it is recommended to arrange roosting in the air, where the bird is walking.
The distance between the perches should be at least half a meter, and the nests located at least half a meter from the floor should not bend. Keep nests clean device allows visors above them. And for filling the nests use regularly cleaned and replaceable straw.
Use the same hay is not worth it, because it quickly begins to sweep and becomes the cause of infection and pests.
Nests should be slightly dimmed, because the hens of the hen at the dacha do not like to rush in bright light. Well, if the perches are removable, then they can be removed and cleaned twice a year.
Tips on arranging a chicken coop in the country
The modest size of many household plots made the most varied designs of chicken coops in demand, including unusual but very practical buildings.
This also applies to portable mini-structures. You can make a chicken coop in the country with their own hands just such that it will allow you to easily carry the structure, but chickens will always be visible and will never spoil the cultural landings, which often happens during free-range walking.
In the construction of such a miniature chicken coop, like any other, should be provided for three main areas:
- space for nastest
- place for walking birds,
- nest for laying hens in the country
What is better to build a chicken coop in the country?
Most often for the construction of the summer henhouse use the following materials:
- For the frame of the coop is used a wooden bar,
- The cladding of the walls is often made of wooden wall paneling,
- Be sure to provide a retractable pallet under the roost, so that cleaning can be carried out faster and more efficiently. For this pallet take galvanized sheet,
- For fencing walking take a metal grid with small mesh.
- If a coop with a green roof is planned, where decorative or green crops will be planted, then waterproofing of the roof is mandatory. For such insulation, any waterproofing material in rolls is ideal.
The green roof not only creates the original appearance of the chicken coop, but also reliably protects the bird from overheating inside the house on hot days.
Well, if there are not enough building materials, then you can make a hen house in the country with your own hands from improvised means, for example, you can find arched chicken coops made from plastic pipes, pallets or completely original solutions.
Having built a chicken coop in the country, all the wooden elements of the structure, regardless of its size and design, it is important to cover it with a special compound that protects the wood from damage by pests and from atmospheric influence.
Variants of designs of summer chicken coops
Stationary houses for chickens of different capacity, designed for summer or all-season bird living.
A novice poultry farmer can recommend a simple chicken house design, which can, if desired, be moved to a new location with the help of two boards serving as portable handles. In this case, the chicken coop is similar to a one-story cottage with an attic.
A single-storey portable chicken coop in the country is even more compact than the previous one.
Portable coop arched design.
Many summer residents today pay attention to mobile structures, and make such a mobile chicken coop with their own hands.
Mobile chicken coop in the form of cars.
Such devices are mounted on a single-axle frame with wheels. This scheme is good for quite chicken coops, which makes it easy to move the bird along the lawn of the plot or fenced pasture.
Mobile chicken coop trailer.
This is a two-axle trailer for a device of considerable size and capacity of a chicken coop with a large weight, which makes it possible to remove the bird to remote pastures.
Mobile summer chicken coops on rollers.
Mini chicken coops on small rollers can be set to a flat base and be moved within small areas.
Types of summer houses for chickens
Practically every chicken coop has two components:
- a house for chickens - there they spend time at night, lay eggs, eat, drink,
- places for walking in the daytime - as a rule, it is a small enclosed area or an aviary (in summer the bird spends 15-17 hours outside, so it is important to pay more attention to the equipment of this particular zone).
There are several types of summer chicken coops:
- with canopies
- with pens
The most convenient for giving is the chicken coop of the first type. The canopy protects from a rain, an overheat, birds of prey.
Chicken coops with pens require a certain height of the fence. It is important that the bird does not fly over the fence, otherwise it can harm the surrounding plantations (chickens love to rake everything, get worms, and peck fresh grass and flowers).
Portable chicken coops are usually very light and compact. In them the bird is contained in cramped conditions. They have several advantages:
- they are easy to move to any corner of the garden where there is grass,
- occupy a minimum of space.
Every chicken coop can be improved over time by adding new elements or changing its size. Almost any summer bird's house can be converted into a winter one, warming it from the outside and lighting the inside.
Tips for choosing materials
The walls and floor of the temporary chicken coop need to be done only from natural materials: fiberboard, chipboard, OSB-plates, wood. As supports you can use the posts of timber, metal profiles, concrete blocks. For the construction of the enclosure, choose a chain link or reinforcement mesh. The canopy can be made of plywood, polycarbonate, reinforced film or any other material that can protect against rain.
Since the chicken coop is not built for one season, make sure that all wooden elements are treated with special impregnations or painted.
The need for a foundation for a temporary house
The summer chicken coop should be installed on an elevated place so that during the period of heavy rains there is no flooding and the water calmly goes to the ground. If the plot is flat, you can make a small mound of gravel or rubble, broken bricks. Top with an extra layer of sand. It is necessary for the digestion of chickens. In addition to the main function (holding the structure), the foundation will also perform a protective function (protecting the bird from the attack of small predators, for example, foxes and rats). Depending on the design, it can be tape or columnar.
If a chicken coop is installed without a foundation, then slate sheets or metal strips should be dug into the ground along the perimeter of the structure, which should rise to a height of 30 cm above the ground. If there is no such possibility, then lay a row of stones so that there are no gaps between the soil and the base of the chicken coop.
For a portable summer house, the foundation does not make sense. It is enough to make the lower base of the frame of wider bars, and attach a grid to them in such a way that it would not be possible to penetrate inside the predators.
Charting and preparation of tools
Before starting construction, decide on the number of chickens that will be kept there. Depending on this, you need to calculate the size of the house. For 5-6 birds, a chicken coop with an area of 3 m 2 will be needed, for 10 chickens - 5 m 2, for 20 heads - 10 m 2.
The place for walking should be quite spacious, about 2-3 times more than the chicken coop itself. During construction, you should take into account the features of the breed that you are going to purchase Broilers should move a little, so a small pen is enough for them. The hens, on the contrary, cease to run, if they are cramped. For birds of different breeds, it is better to build separate chicken coops, since they can "fight" among themselves.
It is important to consider the following points.:
- Cover the inside walls of the chicken coop with a layer of lime to protect the birds from germs.
- Chicken droppings emit ammonium, which is toxic to poultry. Think over the ventilation system and method for frequent cleaning of their housing (galvanized pull-out tray can be used).
- Place the hen's nests in the farthest places of the house (one nest for 2–3 birds). In a small house they can be outside, in the form of an attached side drawer.
- Since the chickens drink a lot and often drink water, the drinkers should be located both inside the house and in the aviary.
- Bird feeders need to be carefully secured, as chickens are very active and food may end up in the trash. It is convenient to locate the bunker-type feeder in the room.
- Equip a small window in the hen house. Its size must be at least 1/12 of the floor area of the house.
- For an overnight stay, hens need roosts (20-25 cm per layer).
- The height is recommended to do at least 1,5m.
If desired, an old greenhouse can be easily adapted to a summer hen house, dividing it into zones and replacing the glazing materials with wood and mesh.
From the tools you will need:
- pencil and tape measure
- screwdriver or screwdriver
- building level,
- stapler with staples,
- self-tapping screws
What should be a house for chickens
The house for chickens should not only be cozy inside, but also beautiful outside.
The bird, as well as the person, needs a comfortable habitat, so before starting construction it is worth highlighting several important factors that will make it possible to make a warm and cozy chicken coop. This room has a number of requirements:
- Temperature conditions. If you plan to keep the bird in the winter, it is important to worry about the proper temperature. So, in winter the temperature should be not lower than 12 ° С. Indoors there should be no drafts, they are a threat to the health of the bird. In the summer, the room temperature should not exceed 25 ° C. If these temperature regimes are not followed, the chicken will stop laying eggs.
- Lack of moisture. In order for the chickens not to get sick, there should not be high humidity inside. Ventilation can solve this problem. Here there are several ways of its device, it can be forced or natural.
- Lighting. Light is life. As a result, chicken production depends on the availability of light. Inside the chicken coop should be light bulbs that dissipate warm yellow light. To ensure the lighting mode, some home craftsmen use automatic timers and relays that turn on / off the lights at a specified time. Conducting an electrician, you must do everything so that all cables are not accessible to chickens.
Safety for poultry above all
- Calm. For a normal and quiet life of chickens around there should not be a lot of noise. Therefore, the chosen place must be isolated from the busy country house.
- Security. This is another important criterion that ensures the serenity of the bird. The coop must be protected from the penetration of rodents and other predatory animals. Given this, many decide to build on a columnar base.
Where is the best place to put the chicken coop
The coop should be away from the apartment building.
The location of the house is an important stage of the preparatory work. You need to think not only about yourself so that an unpleasant odor does not penetrate into a residential building, but also about the comfort of chickens. For example, some breeds do not like frequent invasion of their territory. Because of this, they begin to run worse.
A suitable place would be a remote corner in the territory of your summer cottage. If you have a farmyard, then it is important to remember that outside noise also negatively affects their egg production. Often, many decide to attach a chicken coop to an existing barn. But here, consider what kind of pet will be neighbors to chickens - calm or mostly noisy.
When choosing a place is important to worry about the place for their walking. Often, you can watch the picture when chickens are walking throughout the yard. It does not give beauty, besides, on the threshold of your house you can stumble upon the “present” left by them. Place for walking chickens should be limited. As a rule, up to 2 m 2 are allocated per head. So, when keeping 20 chickens, the plot should have dimensions of 4 × 10 m. And this is only for their walking.
Great aviary for walking chickens in the summer
If you can not afford such an area, keep in mind that some gardeners resort to the original solution, making recreational tunnels around the perimeter of the territory of the metal mesh.
The chosen place should be at the same time with areas shaded and illuminated by sunlight. The shadow will protect the birds from overheating on hot days, but they can also bask in the sun in cool weather.
Video: the best place of the chicken coop in the barnyard
For the construction of the chicken coop is recommended to choose a sublime place. Это исключит затопление территории в сезон дождей или при таянии снега. Если такой возможности нет, то прокопайте дренажную канаву, чтобы выводить избыточную влагу. Хотя возвышенность можно сделать и искусственно, насыпав щебня, гравия или земли.
Туннель из металлической сетки. Отличное решение, чтобы куры не гуляли по всему двору и огороду It is desirable to locate the windows of the chicken coop on the south side for the best and prolonged exposure of sunlight to the room. It is also recommended to install a manhole, a door and build an aviary on the south side. The south side is most protected from cold winds.
The chicken coop must be of sufficient size so that hens can fit and live in it. Having decided on the construction site, it is necessary to decide what dimensions the house will have. This parameter is influenced by several factors. It is necessary to build on the maximum number of chickens and accurately calculate the effective area:
What should be the size of the house
It is desirable to locate the windows of the chicken coop on the south side for the best and prolonged exposure of sunlight to the room. It is also recommended to install a manhole, a door and build an aviary on the south side. The south side is most protected from cold winds.
The chicken coop must be of sufficient size so that hens can fit and live in it.
Having decided on the construction site, it is necessary to decide what dimensions the house will have. This parameter is influenced by several factors. It is necessary to build on the maximum number of chickens and accurately calculate the effective area:
Separately, it should be said about chickens. They should have individual rooms separated from adults. This will allow them to have free access to the feed. However, you should not allocate too much space for them. As a rule, a small box is enough for spending the night. On the other hand, one should not create conditions for their crush.
Up to 10 chickens will fit in this small chicken coop.
Thus, a poultry house designed for keeping 10 chickens can measure 2 × 5 m. As for height, it should be convenient for you when you have to go there. Too low a ceiling will create discomfort during cleaning and cleaning the chicken coop. The optimum height is 2.2 m.
Given this, it will be practical to equip a gable roof, raising the ridge to 2.2 m, and leaving the walls at a height of 1.5 m. Such a chicken coop will be convenient for both chickens and for its maintenance. On the other hand, it is much easier to implement a shed roof. In the low shaded part, you can install sockets.
We have prepared several suitable diagrams and drawings. Based on them, you can make an individual project or build a house on the ready. We offer you to look at several interesting options in the next section.
Drawings and diagrams: finished projects for the construction of the house
Drawing of the chicken coop outside and inside in size
Drawing of a chicken coop, top view. Great plan for implementation
The chart shows the size of the aviary for walking birds.
The layout of the competent location of all rooms in the hen house
The scheme of the chicken coop, which can get along up to 10 chickens
The layout of the perch and nests in relation to each other
Diagram of the distance between the important elements of the coop
So, in order to summarize everything, for the construction of a chicken coop for 10 hens, the drawings should be calculated on the basis of the following parameters:
- The area is more than 4 m 2.
- Availability to 4 nests.
- The feeders should be along the wall and opposite the perch.
- Outside there must be access to the cleaning and feeding system.
- From the floor level, the trough and the feeder should rise at least 50–100 mm.
- The floor should be smooth but not slippery.
- Perch at a height of about 600 mm.
- The area of all windows should not exceed 10% of the floor area.
- The presence of an open-air cage is recommended.
- Be sure to have a ladder in the chicken coop.
Plus, the area and the layout of the future house will depend on what you want to place inside it. To save and optimize the internal space is set perch perch. This role is usually handled by an ordinary snag. Chickens can sleep on it.
When organizing a perch, it is important to consider that one bird will lay one egg in 1-2 days. Therefore, one place will be enough for 4 hens. The roosts should be high, as this will prevent damage to the egg. Moreover, they should be located in a clean, dry place and away from the place of overnight stay. Otherwise, chicken droppings may be on the eggs.
As for the rules, there is SNIP 30-02-97, which indicates the following room parameters:
- At the dacha you can keep and grow no more than 40 chickens.
- From the chicken coop to the border of your territory should be at least 4 m.
- If there is an adjunction to a residential house, then from the front door to the house should be at least 7 meters.
- When carrying out an extension to the house, it is recommended to coordinate the project with the architectural commission.
If chickens are kept for personal needs outside the city, there are no rules or restrictions.
Types of chicken coops based on needs
Coops can take on different forms and types. The main thing is that they meet the needs of birds.
There are several types that can be built:
Preparation before the construction of the chicken coop
Everyone understands that chickens can not be around the clock on the street, even in the summer. The weather is not always favorable, and other factors also do not contribute to round-the-clock stay in open areas. The construction of the chicken coop does not require special tools and materials, it is easy to do with the tools that everyone has at hand.
Before the start of the facility, it is worth considering several projects and choosing one that will meet all your requirements. It is necessary to take into account such characteristics:
- dimensions of construction,
- location on the land,
These items can not be changed after the completion of construction. If you make a little effort and imagination, then such a building will become not only a cozy home for birds, but also a beautiful corner of your yard.
Determination of location
Place for the chicken coop should choose deliberately. It is best to use a sublime place for location. This will save your farm from water and flooding during the heavy rainy season. It is also important to correctly calculate the area, which is necessary for the construction of the building. If in the future you want to increase the number of chickens, then take care of sufficient size immediately.
The location relative to the lighting is also an important point. The windows are located on the south side. As a result, the duration of light entering will increase, which favorably affects egg production. But the door is better placed from the west or east. Because of this, you save more heat, and the cold wind from the north will not get inside.
Chickens in the hen house
It is worth avoiding a number of sources of noise, since most breeds of birds (especially layers) are quite restless. If there are a lot of extraneous sounds nearby, their performance will decrease. The best option would be a hedge, which will save the hens from constant stress.
Selection of materials and equipment
The main materials for the construction of the chicken coop for the summer period are wooden boards and bars. They serve for the future construction of the foundation of the walls, roof and floor.
But to create the foundation you can not do without bricks and cement mortar. We need to initially decide whether a foundation is needed at all. After all, for a small house, it is not required. Also required on the perimeter to deepen the plate of metal to protect the economy from various predators.
Video: building a chicken coop
It is necessary to purchase materials for insulation that will help create a warm version of the chicken coop. These include: mineral wool, roofing felt, sawdust and others.
To build an aviary, where the walking of chickens will occur, you need a sufficient amount of metal mesh.
And, of course, no construction can do without a basic set of tools that any owner can find:
- ruler or tape measure
- building level,
- nails and screws.
Making sure that everything is in stock, you need to pick up the necessary drawing, which will be used to build the chicken coop with your own hands.
DIY Coop Tips
The following is a step-by-step instruction on the coop of its own construction. A cozy house for chickens is not difficult to do. Before the process itself, it would not hurt to view a photo of the construction in order to get a closer look at the matter.
Coop with aviary do it yourself
You need to start with the construction of the foundation. It is mandatory if the building itself is solid. The best option - this is the foundation of the columns. Build it is not difficult. The advantage is that it does not need to buy expensive materials.
If you follow the rules of construction, the foundation will not only become a support for the chicken coop, but also provide ventilation of the entire floor. Yes, and predators can not get inside.
And now step by step on how to make a chicken coop.
- Following the drawing you need to hammer in metal rods in the corners of the future chicken coop.
- Using a rope, you need to connect all the rods, looping the structure. At this stage, you need to use the building level to prevent distortions.
- Then you should remove the upper ball of the earth to a depth of about 20 cm. This soil can be transferred to the garden, in the case of its good fertility.
- Along the perimeter is necessary to build special pedestals. They will be the basis and support for the chicken coop. When building, consider that they must be at a distance of at least one meter from each other. Before installing each pedestal, a pit is dug 60 cm deep. Above the ground they should be 20-30 cm higher. Again, use the level for control measurements. The foundation is ready.
Ready foundation for the chicken coop
- Leave the construction for a while. It is necessary for tamping the foundation. On average, it takes about five days.
- If you plan to keep birds in summer and in winter, then you should pay more attention when building the floor. It should not only be durable, but also keep warm inside. The ideal option is the construction of a double floor. In this case, a draft floor is mounted on the foundation. It can be built from improvised means.
- Beams are placed on the subfloor, and a warming ball is spreading.
- On top of this, flooring is created. It is better to make of flat boards that do not have damage and cracks.
- Next, you should build a frame and walls. They should keep warm well. Therefore, the frame is better to create from wooden bars.
- When building walls, be sure to make openings for windows. They will not only allow the light to come in, but also provide proper ventilation.
- The framework from above is sheathed by boards on both sides. Heat insulation material (eg mineral wool, sawdust) should be placed in the voids. The height of the walls should not be less than 1.8 m. A smaller height will limit the birds.
- Installation of windows should involve a removable design or the possibility of opening when there will be a hot period.
- You can create a special roof structure (gable), where you can hide all the necessary equipment and food for the economy. Also, thanks to the sloping sides, snow and rain will not accumulate on the roof. As a consequence, dampness will not destroy the roof.
- The first thing you need to do flooring. Then fasten the ceiling beams at an angle. Flooring requires good insulation. Perfectly expanded clay or slag.
- Attach ruberoid to beams. Slate or any other roofing material is laid on top.
- If you want to create an aviary for walking chickens, then keep in mind that its size should be increased by 1.5 - 2 times compared with the chicken coop itself. It should be placed on the ground with green grass. This will allow the chickens to freely eat healthy food while walking. It is enough to make sections from the bars, which are then covered with a net.
- Install hinges on one section so that you can build a wicket.
- The final stage. You can paint the walls to protect the tree from damage. Besides, it looks pretty pretty.
The number of roosts can be calculated in this way: at least 30 cm on the perch for each chicken. A bursa with a cross section of 4 x 6 cm is perfect, but do not forget to round them before installation.
Roosting in the hen house
Mount perches need to be at a height of about 70 - 80 cm. But do not install them on a ladder above each other. To make cleaning easy, place special trays under the perches. For nests you can use wooden boxes in which you need to put sawdust or straw.
Now you know how to build a chicken coop in the country with your own hands for the summer period to maintain your farm. More about the arrangement of the chicken coop in the country, see the video.