The cat is one of the most popular pets along with dogs. Historians claim that all domesticated cats come from one of the five representatives of the subspecies "steppe cat", which in turn appeared about 130 thousand years ago. As for the domestication of the animal, it happened around 9500 BC. in the East. And not so long ago in Cyprus discovered the joint burial of man and a cat, which dates back to 7000 BC.
Many of us have pets and most often they are cats. Have you ever wondered how much they live? If we ask this question of Wikipedia, we get this answer - the average life expectancy of an animal is about 14 years, in some cases, these cute animals can live up to 20 or even 30 years. However, in life there are completely amazing cases. So, the cat named Lucy, who lives in one of the British families, turned 39 years old in 2011! Is it possible? The owner of the pet claims that it is possible ...
Lucy went to 63-year-old Bill Thomas after Bill's godmother died in 1999. Once a neighbor came to visit, who, barely hitting the house, was dumbfounded by what she saw - in front of her she saw Lucy. And the thing is that a woman remembers a cat when she was still running next to a grocery store next door a few decades ago! Immediately after that, Bill took the pet to the veterinarians, who confirmed that the animal was indeed almost forty years old. However, we slightly moved away from the main issue of this topic.
So, we all know how difficult it is to wash your pet. Yes, and by itself, he does not want to get into the nearby reservoir to get pleasure from it. It turns out that there is a reason for this, and this is by no means because cats do not like to bathe.
The reason cats are afraid of water
The fact is that these animals have a special structure of wool. For them, fur is more necessary for thermal insulation, and then for beauty. Due to the fact that there is air between the hairs, the fur protects the animal's body not only from hypothermia and overheating, but also allows it to retain heat. But as soon as the fur becomes wet, at that very moment it loses its valuable properties and the cat freezes at the moment.
In addition, they themselves do an excellent job with their own cleaning, so water procedures seem to be useless to them. But despite this, the muscular system makes the cat just a great swimmer. By the way, some breeds still love water, for example, Kuril Bobtails or Van cats. They freely bathe, however, try to do it only in shallow water.
It is also worth noting that cats do not tolerate rain, fog and snow.
How to bathe a cat?
There are several valuable tips that can help you if you decide to redeem your pet.
- First of all, you should understand that your pet itself perfectly copes with the problems of cleansing its fur. Therefore, it is necessary to wash it only if it is really very dirty or it has parasites.
- If you decide to wash in the bath, then be sure to use the caps for nails, because with 99% certainty we can say that the cat will scratch you. The procedure is best carried out in the bath, as an adult cat can splash all the water in the basin. But the kittens can be safely bathed in a basin.
- At the bottom of the bath it is desirable to lay a towel or at least a large piece of cloth. This is necessary so that the pet does not slide, but firmly holds on its paws.
- After putting your pet in the bath, hold it tightly with both hands. As soon as your grip weakens, the animal tries to escape. It is also desirable that the procedure was carried out by two people - one will hold the cat, and the second at this time will begin to wash it. The main thing is not to be too zealous, rubbing the fur, because it is completely useless.
- The total time that must be spent on all water procedures is no more than 10 minutes. Be sure to ensure that the water and especially the shampoo does not fall on the face of your pet. Rinse off the foam as thoroughly as possible.
- Finally, wrap the cat with a towel and warm it for at least a few minutes. It is extremely desirable to do this, since in this way you will warm the cat, because after bathing they are very cold. In addition, it will help your pet not to get sick, for example, pneumonia. In any case, after five minutes of being in your hands, he still tries to escape and there is no point in resisting.
- By the way, with regard to shampoo, it is desirable to use the tool of a well-known manufacturer, since shampoo of an unknown brand can cause, say, a cat allergy.
Cat's fur has a special structure and its specific composition, smell. It reliably protects the body of the animal from cold, overheating and parasites. When water gets into the cat's fur, it loses its heat-insulating functions, since Water quickly washes away a layer of fat secretion, which gives wool its protective functions. Wet animal becomes cold, and it does not depend on water temperature.
Therefore, try to bathe cats as little as possible, and it is better to do it in the shower. The normal average water temperature for a cat should be about 35 degrees, but not lower.
Increase secretory activity
The second reason why furry pets try to avoid water is to activate the body's secretory function when in contact with water. The natural defensive reflex works, as a result of which the body temperature of the wet cat rises sharply, and the subcutaneous glands begin to actively restore the washed out secret.
In addition, cats feel their own smell and try to remove it. The reason is that the smell can scare the victim of a fluffy hunter, and therefore the nature just laid the cats cleanliness, otherwise the predator will remain hungry. When washing, the smell only increases, which causes panic in the animal, that is, the fear of being hungry in a cat is developed from birth. Cats are cunning animals and do not like to chase prey, so the distribution of their own smell is wrong for them.
It should be noted, and a few other factors that are the cause of the dislike of fluffy water. Most often, the owners do not pay attention to the daily routine of the pet, adjusting it to your own. So, bathing often occurs in the evening - and this is the time of hunting, so the animal often stays in a playful mood, which is caused by instincts. Separation from the game is perceived by animals as the threat of starvation, and water becomes its signal. Therefore, never bathe the cat after it sleeps and during its games.
Do not use when bathing and foaming substances, pay attention, because expensive shampoos for animals are not whipped into foam. Foam - a distracting and frightening factor, in conjunction with water, it only increases the fear of the cat and causes aggression.
Do not forget that your pet is more than an independent being, and therefore any of your coercion causes rejection. For the first time, the cat will put up with bathing, but it will surely remember. But because the game of catch-up you provided.
How do cats perceive washing?
Cosmetics, which are often used in the washing process, strongly irritate the charm of a pet. Plentiful watering with water is perceived as a blow, and the sensory system responds accordingly - you need to escape.
- There are more than 40 feline breeds in the world.
- It is believed that the animal was tamed by the Egyptians. It's a delusion. The first cats were discovered in Cyprus.
- During the period of the Spanish Inquisition, cats were recognized as servants of the devil, and on the orders of the bishop destroyed tens of thousands of pets. This led to the rapid reproduction of rats, and as a result - the spread of plague.
What threatens bathing cats?
- Severe hypothermia. Cats know that wet wool does not keep warm, respectively - it will be cold. If, for example, dogs run, hunt, and from this quickly dry, cats do not. Fluffy pets guard the prey, not moving, moreover, they do not know how to shake off like dogs. There is a risk of severe frostbite. Why risk it? It is better to use claws, and the owner will leave him alone.
- Hunger. Wet wool smells strongly and deters prey. An animal that has just taken a bath runs the risk of being left without prey: the mouse will just hear its smell and run away.
- The risk of attack. The other side of the coin: smelling wet wool attracts other, stronger hunters. Cats can be attacked and injured or even lose their lives due to the stupid whim of the host.
- It is unhygienic. Wet wool is an ideal environment for the rapid reproduction of bacteria. In addition, cats swallow dirt and dust during washing, which strongly irritates their stomachs.
Zoologists are convinced that cats intuitively know about all the negative effects of bathing, and consciously try to avoid this unpleasant procedure by all available means.
- According to legend, Noah prayed to the Lord to write on the ark from rats. God heeded the prayers, and ordered the lion to sneeze - a small domestic cat jumped out of the mouth of a predator.
Persian cat breed
Wild cats love water
Many felines play in the water with pleasure.without fear of overheating, germs or hunger. These include tigers, jaguarundi, servals, speckled cats.
Lovers splash are found among domestic cats. Sphinx, savanna, Bengal breed more than positively relate to water. This is only a conditional distribution. Each cat has its own character, and the attitude towards the water element is different for everyone.
- In Australia and England, meeting with a black cat is considered a great success.
- For the most expensive cat, the owner has laid out $ 50,000.
- There are 53 vertebrae on the cat's back. For example, a person has only 34.
Cats are amazing minds, kind and intelligent. If your pet does not want to take a bath, leave her alone. She knows best what is good for her and what is harm.
The truth about cats and cats: afraid or not?
Without a shadow of a doubt, we can say that cats are not really afraid of water. Moreover, they swim well and, if necessary, are able to swim for a long time. It can be argued that people who have an aquarium, not once noticed how the cat is trying to get the fish with its paw out of the water. Yes, they often have no love for water and bathing, but it has nothing to do with fear.
Bathing is stress
Cats love to watch more than to contact. Getting into this situation, the animal feels negative factors. First, they impose contact with the owner on the pet, and also force the washing procedure to be meaningless. How then to wonder why cats do not like water when the owner does not realize that he can clean himself. So you have to fall into a stressful state, waiting for these ridiculous procedures to end.
Cold and hot shower
When you take your pet in your arms, you always feel the warmth emanating from it. This is due to the fact that in cats the temperature is higher than ours, and, therefore, the temperature of the water when bathing an animal must be made hotter than we used to do for ourselves. For a pet, it is bathing in ice water. Do you know many people who will be grateful to you for a violent icy shower and will stand silently without trying to escape? Cat's skin receptors, like any other warm-blooded creature, perceive it as violence. And once beaten you need to run.
Cats do not like the smell of perfumery, especially if they start to rub it into their fur. For small predators, this fragrance is similar to the smell of fertilizer for us. Imagine if you started soaping your lady with something similar. It is unlikely that you would get off with scratches and dissatisfied eyes.
Increased body odor
Wet cats begin to smell so intensely that the smell is easily caught by the smell of the smoker. This is due to the hypothermia of the skin of the animal and the subsequent sharp increase in its temperature (5-7 degrees).
But this small predator in natural conditions traps prey and it does not need extra odors at all. As a result, the cat does not like water due to the fact that at the level of instincts it can impersonate the potential victim and lose the dinner.
From this point of view, the cat is not afraid of water, but of its odors. After all, an animal can be not only a hunter, but also a possible prey for a larger predator. And the scent of wet fur in the animal world is like a flag calling the participants to the gathering point. Among other things, a wet coat should be licked, and this distracts attention and there is an opportunity not to notice a potential enemy.
Coca, caught in the water, begins to lick. All the dirt and germs from the wool fall into the stomach of the animal. Among other things, a moist warm environment is an ideal condition for the reproduction of microorganisms. Some zoologists believe that cats are afraid of water because of the intuitive awareness of such effects of bathing.
For a man who recently catches a cat under the water, it may seem implausible that wild cats do not care much of the above reasons for fear of water. They are not afraid of microbes, do not care about the presence of odor and the ability to violate thermoregulation.
Take, for example, a speckled cat. If vivverine say that some people believe that cats are afraid of water, it would be very surprised. After all, this little predator not only loves to splash, but also dives deep, swims underwater and hunts for fish. Because of this, the cat fisher is also called vivverinu.
Yes, your pet is not a wild beast that is not afraid of anything and does everything to survive. But he is not as scary as it may seem. And, if you ask a question - why the cat is afraid of water, the answer may lie not in the animal, but in you. Imagine yourself in the place of a proud, free, in places even an arrogant animal, who was roughly grabbed and began to soap an unknown smelling substance. And at the same time they hold you by the collar, like a naughty kitten. What kind of love for water can we talk about here? There is no fear of it either; there is fear to relive the humiliation received during the water treatment, no more.
How to teach cats not to be afraid of water
You can ask - and this is possible in principle. Yes, but it will take time and a few little tricks.
First, slightly open the water in the bathroom.
Ustatiki by nature curious creatures. Therefore, after some time, the cat visits the bathroom to find out the reason for the interesting murmur. So she takes the first step herself.
It will take days to do this, and if it’s not a bad thing to give your pet time to get used to the bathroom, it’s not a pity.
As soon as the pussy realizes that it is not being watched, the sense of self-preservation will fail it. Therefore, it is not necessary to hinder her in this matter, and, moreover, to help. Otherwise she will leave, perhaps forever.
So how to teach your pet to water
At first he will be an observer. Then, without feeling threatened, will begin to approach. The first contact with water is a game. Cats love to play and you can say with confidence that they like fun with a stream of water. So the animal will feel that water is not a threat.
A few days and you will be surprised with what courage your pet jumps into the bathroom and drinks water straight from the tap.
Since the cat settles down, it will no longer be afraid of your presence and will remain near the water as it sees fit.
For you, this should mean one thing - the cat is ready. The next step is to close the bathroom stopper and pour some water. When Murka wants to play next time, she moistens her paws.
The first reaction may be slightly negative, but then the cat will return to a new entertainment. After this water you need to add a little more. And so on until you can say - why cats do not like water, my love. After all, by this time the Murka will get used to swimming and there is no question of fear.
What cats and cats love water
Exceptions to the rule are almost in aspects of our life. The love of some small predators for bathing is among them. For example, the owner of the Maine Coon, and the usual Siamese may be surprised if you ask him why the cats do not like water. After all, he knows that his pet is running to climb into the bath. And there are a lot of such breeds that love water. From known:
- Norwegian Forest.
- Kuril Bobtails.
Given all the above, we can conclude that cats are not afraid of water. The main thing here is a competent approach to water procedures. Then bathing will be for the pet, maybe not favorite, but quite bearable occupation.