Everyone who starts a dog, you need to know in advance how to teach a puppy to a leash. This is the most important skill, especially for those pets who live in the city. That leash will help the owner to control the puppy, not to let him get lost, to protect from cars and other dogs. Many inexperienced owners are frightened by the need to teach their pet, they do not cope, and as a result, an adult dog is uncontrollable. This is especially dangerous for large breeds, so it is very important, for example, to teach a sheepdog puppy to a leash from an early age.
How to choose the right gear
Before you buy a puppy, you need to buy a lot of things for him: a bowl, toys, a place, items for care, as well as a collar and leash. Ammunition is necessary for the dog, as she will walk every day, and in the city it is impossible without her. Therefore, it is very important immediately after purchase to teach a puppy to a collar, leash, harness, muzzle or other objects with which he will encounter constantly. In order to make the baby’s learning process easier and the ammunition doesn’t give him any unpleasant feelings, you need to choose the right one.
For dogs of different breeds different collars and leashes are used: from tarpaulin, leather, nylon, metal. But for all puppies, regardless of who he grows up to, experts recommend sticking to the same rules when selecting ammunition:
- The collar for the first time, the baby needs a soft and light, so that it does not rub and do not interfere.
- It is better to teach a puppy to walk first in a harness, it is safer for him and easier to train him, but at the same time you need to train him to a collar.
- To start, you should take a short leash - up to one and a half meters; when training, you should avoid self-pulling leashes in the form of a tape measure, heavy canvas and slippery silk cords.
- After the purchase, the new ammunition should lie in the house for some time, preferably in a well-ventilated room, so that the artificial odors are gone.
- Before putting a collar and a leash on a puppy, you must first acquaint your child with them, he should smell, but not play with these objects.
The main thing in the question of how to teach a puppy to a leash is not to cause negative associations with this subject. The whole process of training should be based on the game and affection. It is very important for the host to show patience and perseverance, and then the described question will soon cease to be relevant. To make this happen faster, you can refer to the advice of experienced canine.
- To solve the problem, how to teach a puppy to a leash, you need to, when he turns 1.5-2 months. At this time, it is easier for him to get used to unfamiliar objects. An older dog will be much harder to train.
- It is necessary to wear a collar and a leash on a puppy when he has already become acquainted with these objects and has ceased to show interest in them.
- The first days of ammunition should be on the baby only a few minutes. It is desirable for this time to distract the puppy game.
- The learning process should be gradual. After a few days, the puppy will calmly respond to the collar, stop noticing it. Then you can leave it on the baby's neck for a longer time.
- Only after that it is necessary to fasten a leash to the collar. It should hang freely, and that the baby does not play with him, you need to distract him.
- You can speed up the learning process with the help of treats and affection. Only in this way, and not from fear the puppy will quickly get used to the collar and leash.
Learning at home
It is not recommended to go out with the puppy right away. First you need to practice walking with him on a leash around the house. In this case, you can not strongly pull the puppy and pull it. The leash should hang freely, only from time to time it should be slightly tensioned. It is desirable that another family member join the training. He should summon the puppy to himself, encouraging him when he approaches.
It is very important at this time to learn how to properly wear a collar. It can not be strongly tightened - between the neck of the dog and the ammunition should include two fingers. But he should not be free, otherwise the puppy will simply remove him. The owner during training at home, you must also learn to adjust the length of the leash. Do not use a tape measure yet, so it is important to be able to quickly shorten the leash when there is danger, or to dissolve it to give the dog a run.
How to teach a puppy to walk on a leash
After the baby quietly walks in the collar and leash around the house, you can go out with him. On a walk you need to immediately teach the dog to go for the owner, and not pull him along. Gently, without jerking, using a toy or treat, you need to send it where you want.
It is especially important to know how to teach a puppy to walk on a leash to owners of large dogs. Already at this age they should understand that they need to go after the owner and obey at the slightest tension of the leash. Walking around you can begin to learn after three months, before the kid simply does not understand this.
The importance of encouraging when training a puppy
According to the reviews, to teach the dog something is possible only with the help of affection and patience. This rule must be learned by all who are interested in how to teach a puppy to a leash. In the process of learning worth using delicacies, favorite toys, stroking.
When the puppy comes up at the call of the owner, he must be praised. But you can not give a treat, if the dog has not fulfilled the requirement, rests or tries to escape. In this case, you can only distract the puppy toys. Talking with a dog in disobedience is necessary in a calm but stern voice. Do not abuse delicacies, otherwise the dog may overeat.
What to do when training a puppy
Inexperienced owners often make mistakes when training dogs. They are either too strict or very sorry for the baby, without perseverance.
To easily teach a puppy to walk on a leash, you need to know what you can not do while:
- In no case should not allow the dog to play with a leash and collar, bite them.
- Do not use a leash as a punishment.
- You can not allow him to bite and scratch when putting on a collar, if the puppy is too excited, it is better to postpone the learning process and let it calm down.
- It is unacceptable at first to leave the baby in the collar unattended, be sure to play with him, distracting from the new subject.
- You can not pull the puppy for a leash, when he rests, it is better to lure him with a treat or a toy.
- It is not recommended to shout, scold and punish the baby in the learning process.
- You can not completely ignore the puppy's desire to play, forcing him to go near.
- It is not necessary for small dogs to use shock collars and "storky", they are needed only in special cases.
As the dog owners say, with the right behavior of the owner, the puppy quickly understands what is required of him. If time is lost or the dog is out of control, it is better to seek help from a professional dog handler. But it is necessary to accustom the pet to the leash.
Teach your puppy to the collar
Most often, at this stage there are no problems. Newborn puppies are marked with colored threads to know the exact time of birth and the weight of the baby. Grown up, the thread is changed to tape or a light collar. The kid carries his property with dignity, because the collar does not cause inconvenience.
Important! Do not use harness as an alternative to the collar! Loose bones of the chest and spinal joints can be deformed, with unnatural pressure. Exception - puppy vest-harness.
If your baby is unfamiliar with ammunition, go the same way - tie a ribbon, and after a few weeks, put a collar on top. When choosing accessories for a puppy, give preference to nylon products with plastic clasps. The collar should be smooth and light, adjustable in length. Do not buy good-quality leather collars for growth, the accessory should fit in size, sit well on the neck and not jump over your head.
We teach a puppy to walk on a leash
As soon as a new family member gets comfortable in the house, accustom him to the ammunition - fasten a light leash and let the pet run around the apartment with him. Make sure the baby does not play with the leash. Ideally, the puppy should not pay attention to the leash at all and run around the house with it for 20-30 minutes.
At 3 months, the baby receives the first vaccination and a “new era” begins - walking on the street. It is important to teach your puppy to walk on a leash from the first days of walking - this is the primary safety issue of the dog. Do not be deceived by the fact that the baby follows you on the heels, on the street the puppy will meet a lot of new things - transport, harsh sounds, large stray animals, people and many other factors that can scare a crumb, forcing to run without turning around.
The first "attacks" on the street should be short, follow the puppy "on the heels" and make sure that the leash is not stretched. If the kid persistently tries to take you to the garbage cans or to another “pleasant” place - take the pet in your hands or distract with a treat, but do not pull the leash. Allow your pet to walk you until he has a fixed reflex "leash - hurray - go for a walk."
The next step will be to teach the puppy to walk on a leash without pulling it. There are 2 methods - loyal and "hard":
- Stop whenever the puppy pulls the leash, wait until the baby turns his head at you. Say “Okay” in a friendly way, entice with a delicacy and slightly change the trajectory of the following. In 3–4 weeks, the dog will firmly learn that with the tension of the leash you do not go faster, but on the contrary, stop moving.
- A large puppy, aged 4–5 months, can be trained not to pull the leash using the “Pull method”. Used children's parfors and nylon leash. Release the dog 2-3 meters away from you, but as soon as the leash pulls in, it is a jerk. In 5–7 days, the pet will understand that it is uncomfortable to pull the leash.
Important! Parfors for puppies has shortened rounded teeth, it does not prick or scratch the skin.
Walk on a loose lead until the baby has mastered the basic commands - Fu, Location, Sit, Ko me. Next, you have to "conquer" the team nearby, and this is not the easiest task. The main thing is not to overload the baby with monotonous walking at the foot. Start with 10 - 30 steps, it is possible and more, depending on how old the training is and how much the puppy is concentrated in executing the command.
We teach dog team Near on a leash
- Seat the puppy at the left leg, in the right hand hold the free part of the leash and treat (toy).
- Start the movement by giving the command Next, keeping the leash in a half-tensioned state, do not let the dog run in front of you.
- Baby should not pull the leash, remember? Stop trying.
- As soon as the puppy has taken the correct position, say: “Ok, close!”.
- Passed the measured distance, sat the baby at the left leg, rewarded, played and repeated the approach. For a walk, it is enough to make 2-3 small approaches.
Note! Using plastic puppy "strangulation" significantly shortens the duration of training.
Why the dog does not like the leash and what to do about it?
The discomfort experienced during the walk, negative emotions that are fixed in the dog's memory, can seriously interfere with the learning process. Your pet flatly refuses to go on a leash? Possible reasons are as follows:
- Incorrectly chosen parfors or tightly buttoned collar - pain and suffocation with each movement can not please the dog.
- If the pet is allowed to play with the ammunition, but the baby boycotts on it, buy a new leash and draw conclusions.
- They could not resist and slapped the dog with a leash, and after that the pet refused to walk on it ... no wonder. Slam the product on the knee or palm, the dog will squeeze the ears if it is afraid of him. Temporarily, change the leash to a light rope.
- If the manipulation of the substitution does not help - you will have to purchase a special vest-harness for puppies. The product does not constrain the movement of the dog and does not cause discomfort, but is not suitable for training. Do not remove the collar while wearing a vest.
Remember! Positive emotions are important. A puppy can not wait to run without restrictions, so when you take a dog with you - first walk, and then do.
How to choose a leash and collar for the dog?
Important in schooling a puppy to the collar and leash will be the right choice of these accessories. After all, if the collar is too heavy, rubs the skin, then the dog will avoid it. It is best to choose an accessory from a soft material:
You should not get a wide collar for a puppy - this is intended for chain dogs or adult representatives of large breeds. It should have a width of about one and a half to two centimeters. It is very convenient if the buckle and the ring for fastening the leash are close by - then you will not have to turn the collar once again after putting it on.
For inexperienced dog breeders, it is better to avoid a jerky collar (stranglehold, parforsa), since without proper practice it can adversely affect the raising of a puppy. It is also worth refusing the tempting purchase of an accessory decorated with rhinestones, rivets, spikes - they are impractical, expensive, and sometimes traumatic.
The choice of a leash is simple - it will take one short to walk (about 2 meters), and the second one is long - for training (8-10 meters). Like the collar, the leash can be made from leather, nylon or tarpaulin. The second two are cheaper and more practical at first. Before buying a leash, collar, or any other pet product, we would advise you to look at the assortment, read specifications and prices in online stores, and then, using sorted models, ask clarifying questions from a consultant and buy a great product. To make it easier, here are some more tips. It is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the line and whether the leash is loose on the ring. A leash-roulette for schooling a puppy is better not to buy, since obedience can be greatly affected by a doggie.
How to teach a puppy to the collar?
Having bought a new accessory, familiarize yourself with the baby, let him smell, but do not play. There are several variations on how to make the puppy understand the inevitability of the collar. Try the following:
- The first few times, wearing a collar, immediately distract the kid with a fun game, toy squeaker or a delicious treat.
- If he is trying to pull him over his head, do not iron him, but simply podzovite to yourself and distract with some loud sound, and so on every time.
- After the game or when the puppy will eat in the collar, it should be removed.
- When the puppy realized that they want to wear a collar and actively resists it, you can resort to tricks. To do this, the collar should be fastened and holding it in front of the puppy's muzzle, offering him a treat. Thrusting his head through the collar, he will not notice how he will be on his neck.
- The second option involves once and for all from the first hours in the house to put a collar on a puppy on the neck and not to remove it until it gets used to it in time. This method also works, especially if in puppy resentment moments you distract him by playing. In order for the baby to wear the collar with pleasure, it is necessary that two fingers of a person should be freely placed between him and the neck.
How to teach a puppy to a leash?
When half the battle has already been done and the baby is used to the collar, you need to learn how to teach a puppy to a leash. From what age can this be done? Of course, the sooner the better, although an older puppy can be taught to walk on a leash. It is desirable that the time of habituation fell on the age of about three months. Indeed, at four, after vaccinations and the end of quarantine, the dog can already be safely walked in crowded places, which means that the basics of walking with a leash should be learned before this age.
The first lessons should be carried out with a minimum of distractions, that is, at home, in a familiar setting:
- Attaching a leash you need to try to walk a few steps, pulling the puppy along. If he resists, you should slightly pull the leash in short jerks.
- You can never force a dog if it stands up.
- You can lure a puppy, calling him by name, or demonstrating a treat.
- Realizing that in a few steps on a leash you can get a treat, the puppy will soon realize that it is beneficial to him.
- When performing the command, praise and stroke the puppy.
- If the baby stubbornly stands or pulls back, do not punish him in any way, but have patience - sooner or later, he will understand what is required of him.
- When it is already possible to go out with the baby, he will understand the relationship between putting on the collar and having a fun walk and will wait for this moment with great impatience.
How to choose a leash for a dog and how long it should be
On the question of what the length of the leash is optimal, there is no single answer. The length of the leash should be from 1.5 to 30 m, at one end there is a loop, on the other - a carbine for fastening to the collar. Поводки изготавливаются из брезента, кожи, нейлона, цепочек и могут отличаться по конструкции — простой (лента с петлей и карабином), сворка (поводок для нескольких собак) и рулетка (устройство с пружинным механизмом).
Какой поводок лучше выбрать для собаки
Длина короткого поводка не должна превышать 1,5м. It is better to choose a leash for a dog with a welded ring for fastening the carbine. The carbine itself should be easy to open and close (but not in the event of a jerk or accidental touch). The most reliable carbines in the form of a sliding cylinder. Use tarp, leather or synthetic belt leads (parachute slings). Leads from kapron, silk fabric (cord) or woven from leather bands in the form of a pigtail are not suitable for dogs. At first glance, they are much prettier and look much better than a regular canvas leash, but very uncomfortable to use, as they can seriously injure your hands in the event of a sharp jerk of a dog.
Which leash is best to choose for the dog, primarily depends on the circumference of the neck of the animal. Another important step on the way to how to teach a puppy to a leash is the convenience of a leash. The best material is leather or tarpaulin.
Training to collar: the choice of material and size
Training for a collar begins with the right choice of material and size. The best materials for collars are leather or tarpaulin. Some breeders recommend nylon leashes, as they are the most durable.
The choice of collar size depends on the breed of dog. The collar should fit the dog's neck tightly, but not squeeze it. A sign should be attached to it indicating the owner’s address and the dog’s name, as well as the ring to which the leash is attached.
The leash carabiner fastening ring and the collar buckle must be welded (and not just butted together, because in the case of a strong and sharp jerk even a small puppy can unbend the ring or tear the buckle and break off the leash).
How to teach a dog to the collar: classes in the apartment
To teach a puppy to a collar, start with classes in the apartment. Go to the puppy, affectionately call him a nickname and stroke. Show the collar and let him sniff. Stroking a puppy, quickly and quietly put a collar on it. After a few minutes, remove the collar and encourage the puppy with a treat or stroking.
Repeat training exercises for the collar several times a day, gradually increasing the time when the puppy walks with it. Do not fasten the collar too tightly (two fingers should run freely under it) or very loosely. In the first case, the puppy will not have enough air, and he will start to be afraid. In the second - the collar can fly off or the active puppy will easily remove it independently. Do not leave the puppy in the collar for the whole day.
When to teach a puppy to a collar: while eating or playing
You can wear a collar when the puppy eats or plays. Teaching a puppy to a collar while eating or playing is optimal, as it does not cause the dog psychological trauma.
Before you train your dog to a leash, be patient, as the collar may be annoying at first, they may resist, scratch and bite, roll on the floor or tumble down, trying to remove it.
In this case, try to distract the puppy with a game, run around with it, look for hidden toys. After a few minutes, remove the collar and encourage the puppy with a treat, stroking or further play. You only need to remove the collar after the puppy has stopped independent attempts to get rid of it. Such your actions will help the dog to cope with unpleasant feelings and understand that the collar is not at all scary. The main thing is your patience and goodwill.
Teaching a puppy to a leash: training in the apartment
As with the collar, pulling to a leash begins with training in the apartment. Your goal is to teach your puppy to move freely with a leash strapped to its collar. Some puppies are very suspicious of the sudden fastening of the leash to the collar. In this case, the leash can be replaced with a short ribbon or string. As the puppy gets used, gradually increase the length and eventually replace the tape with a real leash.
When the puppy eats or plays, stroking it, quietly and quickly fasten the leash to the collar. Give the puppy a chance to walk around the apartment, making sure that the leash does not cling to various objects (if the puppy’s mobility is sharply limited, he will be frightened). Let him get used to the new thing. When the puppy forgets about the leash, remove it. After a few days, try to take the leash and move after the puppy, periodically restraining the pace of its movement with a slight tension. Try to change the direction of the puppy's movement, going into rooms with it, skirting tables, chairs, etc. After the puppy starts to move confidently around the apartment with a leash, you can start exercising in the yard.
Teaching a Dog to a Leash: Encouragement
Teaching a dog to a leash is very effective with the encouragement of delicacy. With this simple technique, you can teach your puppy to approach and move with you. Do not be afraid that in the future, the puppy will necessarily require a treat when driving alongside on a leash. With proper upbringing and training, walking on a leash should be a kind of encouragement for a puppy (for example, when going for a walk). Periodically giving a treat, teach the puppy to change the direction of movement with you. Feeding can also be used to train for future walking on a leash. Take a bowl of food in your hands, call your puppy and, when he runs up, walk around with the dog for a bit, then praise and feed. Do not forget to encourage the puppy for each correctly performed action, using alternately a treat, stroking and exclaiming “Good!”.
If you give a puppy a certain independence, he will quickly master the skill of driving on a leash. Think of an interesting goal for the puppy, which he must reach at the end point of movement (see what is around the corner, or find a favorite toy thrown into the grass), and just follow it, slightly holding it by the leash. With quiet movement, do not forget to praise the puppy. When the goal is reached, give the puppy the opportunity to examine, sniff, play.
Try to make the puppy relaxed and accustomed to the fact that the leash does not bother him. The main thing - this habit should be developed calmly. You can take in hand a treat or a toy and, holding them in front of the puppy's nose, make him move forward. Even for a small movement, encourage the dog with a treat or game. Repeat this exercise several times a day. You must learn to control the movements of the dog with a leash freely, without visible effort (except for the necessary restraints), otherwise even with a small sharp jerk of the dog you are guaranteed a sprain of the wrist, forearm or shoulder.
Some puppies get used to chewing the leash and sometimes just gnaw it. You should stop such actions of a dog in time. Every time the puppy is worried and starts chewing the leash, distract him with a game or other activity.
How to wean the dog pull the leash: keep the leash free
What to do if the puppy, being on a leash, strongly pulls forward? Strangely enough, most often this problem is not created by the dog, but by the owner. Before weaning the dog to pull the leash, analyze, are you leading the dog right next? In order to enjoy the company of a dog quietly walking alongside on a leash, try to learn the following. Keep your leash free right from the start of your dog training session. During the movement, periodically go after the dog and at times force it to turn where you need it, using a treat, a toy or a specific target (an object or another dog that interested the dog ahead of you).
During the movement, try to constantly maintain contact with the dog's voice, body movements (gestures), rewards for correct behavior. Every time the puppy begins to pull the leash, stop and turn around or start moving in the opposite direction. As a rule, the puppy pulls the leash, noticing something interesting ahead. At the moment of stopping, the puppy is no longer moving towards the object of interest. The dog needs to understand that as soon as it starts to tighten the leash, the beloved master stops and the movement towards the goal stops. From the very beginning let the puppy understand that pulling you patience and time for a leash is a waste of time and effort.
As a result, the puppy should calmly react to the collar and fasten the leash, do not try to take them off and move freely near you on a hanging leash.
Possible mistakes: bad collar and leash, incorrectly buttoned collar (too tight or too loose), rough, abrupt donning of the collar and fastening the leash, unexpected leaps, training for coercive equipment, punishment with a collar and leash, playing with a leash and collar.
All novice dog breeders want their pets to grow obedient. This is sure to succeed if you follow the only rule: properly educate and train your puppy. It is necessary to instill in him good manners from an early age. Get used to the fact that with the acquisition of a puppy the range of your responsibilities will expand. One of your main tasks will be the formation of friendly, but demanding relationships with your pet. It is not easy to raise, educate and train a dog, for this it is necessary to work every day. If you want the dog only to please, start raising your puppy from the first days of its appearance with you, but only after the dog has fully adapted to the new environment that is unusual for her. The sooner you start working, the faster your puppy will get used to the “innovations”, gradually gaining confidence and calm.
Do not forget that in any case, you will need qualified assistance from a professional canine.
Acquaintance with ammunition
Ammunition for a puppy is selected in advance. It is preferable to take a collar of soft, lightweight material. For medium-sized breed, a harness will be a suitable option. The puppy's first lead should not be longer than one and a half meters. A long silk cord, a self-pulling tape measure, is not suitable for this purpose. Before starting the training, it is advisable to hold the collar and leash in the house for some time. You can rub their hair combed with pet, which will help eliminate odors.
Acquaintance with the new ammunition begins carefully, so as not to frighten the puppy. It can be carefully sniffed. Then gradually, unobtrusively teach the dog to poke his head in the collar, rewarding with delicacy. As soon as the accessory is on the neck of the pet, you need to start a distracting game.
At the slightest manifestation of anxiety by the puppy, attempts to pull off the collar, without emotion and noise, remove the ammunition. Gradually, the time the dog in the collar increases. You can try to wear an accessory while sleeping pet. When he stops responding to the collar, the leash is attached. The end of it should dangle freely, but you can not allow a puppy to play with him.
What not to do
Beginning owners make a lot of mistakes, engaging in the education and training of their pet. In the process of raising a dog is unacceptable:
- Allow your pet to play with a leash, nibble it.
- At first, wearing a collar on a puppy, leave it unattended.
- Use ammunition for punishment.
- Allow the puppy to bite, resist when putting on the collar. You need to calm him down, and then repeat the process.
- Pull abutting puppy on a leash. It is better to use a treat or toy as a bait, distracting the baby.
- Punish a puppy, scream, wipe his arms.
The calm and persistent behavior of the owner will help to quickly and successfully accustom the dog to walking accessories.
Adult dog training
Ways to teach an adult dog to a leash differ little from puppy training. The same principles are used. Pet very quickly learns to walk on a leash, when he realizes that this object is absolutely not dangerous. For training an adult dog, it is best to use a so-called training leash. It is a long thin cord, one end of which is fastened to the collar, and the other is dragged along the ground. During the walk, it can be periodically taken in hand. At the slightest tension, the end of the rope should be dropped to the ground again.
When you need to restrict the movement of a pet, it is enough to step on the cord. However, whenever possible you should avoid stretching it so that the dog feels free. Going for a walk, every time a pet is shown a leash. As a result, it causes positive emotions, a conditioned reflex is produced - an incomprehensible rope in the owner's hands means that now it will be possible to run and play.
The next step is to teach the dog not to pull while walking. If you feel even a slight tension, stop moving, distract the pet. When the dog is walking properly, it should be encouraged with praise and delicacy. Gradually, she begins to understand that it is necessary to go so that the leash does not stretch. Patience shown in the learning process will later be rewarded with the pleasure of walking with the dog, peace of mind for its life and health.
The main enemy of learning is monotony. Training should not last too long. After passing about 30 meters, you need to make a stop to play with the pet. If there are difficulties in training an adult dog, you can use the help of a canine.