Possum sugar flying has a membrane that begins at the front paws and ends at the rear. Thanks to this feature, the animals "glide" through the air, extending the range of jumps to fifty meters. Coordinate the "flight" tail and legs. Self-made souls have a bag (like a kangaroo). Male individuals tend to mark not only their territory, but their entire flock. For these purposes, they have characteristic glands. Lifestyle night.
Should possum sugar at home eat the same way as in nature? This question worries almost every new owner of this animal. We will answer right away: you will not be able to recreate all the conditions of wildlife at home, but it is quite possible to approach them. By the way, feeding possums is not as difficult as it seems. We begin with a list of prohibited components. So, what can you give possuma? Do not feed with cheese, lettuce, a lot of nuts (you can quite a bit), grapes, poultry food, grapes and raisins, chocolate. In the diet of possum should be at least 70% fruit, the rest - protein foods. Leave a diet so that the animal receives more calcium and less phosphorus. Sweets and meat additives (unsalted boiled turkey or chicken fillet) are allowed, but in small quantities. Must be a live feed: grasshoppers and zoopoby (3-4 things for feeding). There are big debates about the benefits of mealworms. There is an opinion that they are harmful for possums, therefore it is better to refuse such kind of food. Possum with pleasure "pplevatet" meat and dairy baby food (including cereals), low-fat yogurt, muesli (dry), honey.
Vegetables are preferred carrots, zucchini, cabbage, cucumber, avocado (a little bit). Fruits fit pears, sweet apples, mangoes, melons and watermelons. You can also give eggs, but only quail (in any form, little by little).
Sugar Possum - content
Possum sugar at home requires a maximum of space. These animals are extremely active, their elements are trees. This should be remembered by those who are going to buy possum. Most often marsupials are kept in spacious cages. The rods must have PVC coating (staining is highly undesirable). Care should be taken to secure the lock - the possums are so smart that they quickly figure out how to open a simple valve. The minimum distance between the bars is 1.3 cm.
In the cage, be sure to place the wheels for rodents, a liana, fasten branches, hang ropes, on which the marsupial flying squirrel will gladly climb. If you want the animal to live with you for a long time, create good conditions for it. Some flying enthusiasts say that a single incomplete square is enough for the development of a marsupial. Cells of this size are permissible only if the animal stays there for a short time (at the time of sleep, or when the host leaves), and in the rest of the time the flying squirrels are released and move freely around the room. If this option seems inconvenient to you, then stop at the aviary. Best of all, if it is built, from the ceiling to the floor. In fact, it is a corner enclosed in the room. Possums very quickly master toys. These animals clearly have a craving for research, so the more entertainment you give them, the better. As a bed (a place to sleep) the tree hollow or its similarity is best suited. Even better - a few beds, because possums love to "change apartments." Create an opportunity for activity all the conditions for activity - it should not gain weight. The main causes of illness in the flyleg are in their obesity. Excess weight can be reflected, as in humans, on the kidneys, heart, and joints. Possums are night animals. Daylight, like electric lighting, annoys them. If you plan to watch possums, provide the cage with a red light that does not cause them inconvenience. Often clean the habitat of animals. Not only floors and dishes, but also toys, and grates, and decoration are subject to processing. The smaller the cell, the more often it must be cleaned.
Portrait of sugar possum
Sugar possums are small animals: the length of their body varies from 13 to 32 cm, the tail is longer than the body - 15-33 cm, the weight is on average 85-160 g. Large, bulging eyes stand out on a short, slightly pointed muzzle. The marsupial tail is so flexible that it can easily twist it in the form of a spiral and even carry small objects in this way.
Externally, the possum is a bit like a flying squirrel — there are flying membranes between the paws and those and others. However, unlike squirrels, it is not a rodent, but a marsupial mammal.
The predominant color in the color of sugar possum is gray, the belly is white. From the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail there passes a long brown stripe. Also, there are strips on the sides of the muzzle. The hair of animals is soft and silky, the tail is bushy. With age, the coat dims somewhat, the belly becomes yellowish at first, and then yellow-red.
Males differ from females in larger sizes, they have a large spot on their forehead (frontal gland), which manifests itself by the period of their reaching sexual maturity, and continues to grow throughout life. Females have a bag for carrying offspring (like a kangaroo).
Lifestyle in nature
Sugar possum is found in eastern Australia, in New Guinea and Tasmania, it is found in open deciduous forests, giving particular preference to eucalyptus.
Secretive little animals are nocturnal, while in the daytime they rest in their nests, located, as a rule, in hollows, and, sometimes, in the grass. They cover the nest with leaves, dry grass, and sprigs - animals carry all building material in the tail, turning it into a spiral. With the onset of darkness, sugar life begins an active life: they move through the trees, covering considerable distances overnight.
Animals climb equally well both up and down their heads. And for planning the animals have a special device - the flying membrane, which stretches from the fifth finger of the forelimb to the ankle joint of the back. Coordinate the "flight" tail and legs.
As food, marsupials fly fruits, pollen, some invertebrates.
Sugar possums are social animals. In their natural environment, they live in groups (clans, families), consisting of 7-12 individuals of different ages. Each clan occupies a relatively large territory. One male dominates in the family - he protects the territory, he also fertilizes the majority of females. Marsupial flying squirrels - territorial animals, aliens with a different smell, do not tolerate. Males have odorous glands, with which they mark not only their territory, but also their entire flock.
The breeding period for marsupials is from April to November, the number of litters per year is not more than two, the young in the litter are not more than three. Pregnancy in these animals lasts only 16 days, and after birth, babies independently migrate into the bag. In the bag they are attached to the nipple and hang on it for about 5 weeks. The young begin to leave the bag at the age of 70-74 days, but feed on mother's milk for about one and a half months. Males reach sexual maturity by 8-15 months, females - by 12 months.
Marsupial flying squirrels do not like cold. When the air temperature drops and during the rainy period, the metabolism of the flying slugs slows down, the body temperature drops to 1-6 ° С, they fall into a state of stupor. In a seasonal daze (hibernation), the possum may spend several weeks.
Possums are very sociable and make a wide variety of sounds. At the moment of excitement and joy, they crack, to attract attention - “yelp”, fear or anger is accompanied by a roar. They greet each other with hissing, which is sometimes accompanied by a semblance of "dance."
The content of sugar possum at home
Buy sugar possum today is not a problem. But before you decide on such a crucial step, learn as much as possible about the features of the animal itself, its content, as well as the difficulties that you will have to face.
First of all, keep in mind that sugar possums, as public animals, are not recommended to be kept alone. The most optimal option (in terms of possums) is a group of animals, or at least a couple. It is not necessary to keep heterosexual individuals, 2 males or 2 females will quite coexist peacefully. If you have one pet, he will have to pay maximum attention, otherwise the animal will be greatly bored and suffer.
If you want to achieve affection from an exotic animal, get a better young animal at the age of about four months, and better, of course, from the breeder. So you can choose a pet that will like it, as well as get competent advice on maintenance and care.
You can communicate with nightly pets in the evening (they begin to show activity around 22 hours) and early in the morning. And so that at night you will not be bothered by the roar of the bars of the cage, yelping, whistling, chirping and similar sounds, make sure that the cell is away from your bedroom. Do not try to "rebuild" sugar possums for the daytime - it is ridiculous to argue with nature.
The animals cannot boast with the accuracy either: it is impossible to accustom them to the tray. In addition, the litter, as well as the remnants of food will lie not only in the cage, but also outside.
Possums - lovers mark their territory with an odorous secret, especially males are guilty of this. The smell of the secret is quite sharp and specific. Do not think that frequent washing of the cage will relieve the odors - after cleaning the beast will mark the cage with a vengeance. You can clean the cage several times a day, but the smell will still be there. The owners of these creatures argue that you quickly get used to the "fragrances" of possums. Perhaps this is true, but are you tired of explaining it to your guests?
Next moment. Keeping posssums constantly in a cage will not work - they need to jump, walk on the walls and ceiling, ride with the owner on his shoulder, or sit in the pocket of his robe. You will have to regularly provide room at their disposal. The animal will immediately be under the ceiling and will gladly plan down, while straightening its membrane. Needless to say, after free walks, you have to arm yourself with equipment for cleaning and “cover up the traces” of your pet's vital activity.
If you do not plan to engage in breeding possums, the male is better neutered - he will smell less, his character will improve. The female, due to the special structure of the intimate organs and small dimensions of the animal, is undesirable to be sterilized.
Although the animal itself fits on the palm, it will need a spacious cage. The animal is very active, and its native element is trees, and therefore, even with the possibility of regular walks around the apartment, you should not lock it in a small cage. The minimum apartment size for a pair of animals is 60x60x80 cm, but better, of course, more. The distance between the bars of the cage should be no more than one and a half centimeters.
In the cage, it is necessary to provide equipment for climbing - branches (birch, beech, alder, hazel, apple, willow, willow, elm, eucalyptus, maple are safe for the pet), as well as pipes, ladders, ropes. For sleep and solitude, the animals need a house, which is attached to the top of the cage. It can be made from plywood or wood (soft cloths, hay should be put inside), or from something warm and soft (old hat, mittens, etc.). The floor in the cage can be covered with sawdust, soft hay.
In the cage there should be a ball drinker and several small ceramic feeders. The running wheel will not be superfluous, but learn - it must be closed (so that the paws do not fall and inadvertently catch their long tail).
It is better to place all interior objects along the walls, without cluttering up the central part of the cage and leaving the space for the jumps for the pets.
Make sure that possums have different toys - they love to play animals. For example, cat teasers, bells, etc. are suitable as toys.
Do not forget, possums do not like the cold! The temperature in the room where the animals are kept should not be below 20 ° C. The animals are not thrilled with the bright light. Keep pets out of drafts!
They eat probums a little, but love variety. Pet can be offered:
- finely chopped fruit (sweet apples and pears, mango, seedless grapes, pineapple, persimmon, watermelon, melon),
- insects (zofobus, flour worms, crickets, grasshoppers),
- boiled chicken or turkey (without salt),
- quail eggs,
- low-fat yogurt,
- quality dog food (dry)
- corn, cucumber, zucchini, carrots,
- baby food.
You can cook for possum nectar mixture consisting of warm water, honey, boiled eggs, baby food and vitamins.
It should be noted that the main thing in the menu of susci is fruit (they should be about 60% of the total diet). Insects in the diet are also needed, and only sometimes they can be replaced by chicken, turkey or dog food.
Nuts and bananas are given in very small quantities, only as a delicacy.
Of course, you can not give anything from the master's table, fatty, salty, smoked, fried, etc. Also contraindicated are chocolate, onion, garlic, and legumes. From dairy products can only low-fat cottage cheese and yogurt.
Important: in the diet should be as much as possible calcium and less phosphorus. Calcium animals should not receive in the form of powders or stones for rodents, which are made with the addition of salt. They are suitable for ordinary human supplements, for example, "Calcemin."
Here, in general, and all the basic wisdom of the content of sugar possum. As you can see, it is not so easy. The main problems are nightlife, inability to accustom to the tray and smell. But if it does not frighten you and you are ready to become a loving, caring and patient owner of sweet-toed animals, then they will give you about 12 years of unforgettable communication - this is how much sugar possums live in captivity.
Sugar possum: description
The sugar squirrel or marsupial flying squirrel lives in the northern and eastern regions of Australia, in New Guinea, in Tasmania, on the islands of the Bismarck Archipelago.
It is a woody marsupial mammal, the smallest and most common species of possums. It received its names because of its ability to soar through the air and because of the love of sweets. Possum weight depends on gender and ranges from ninety to one hundred and sixty grams. It has a thin, slightly elongated body. Length of adult animal can reach forty two centimeters, of which about half falls on a fluffy tail. Possum wool is usually gray-blue, but there are animals with yellow or yellow-brown hair. Very rarely, you can meet probos albinos.
His coat is thick and soft. On the back and face of the animal are brown stripes. The abdomen is white, with a cream shade. Possums have a small, slightly pointed muzzle. His ears are rather large, they are able to turn as locators towards the outgoing sound. Large black eyes are bordered with black rims stretching to the ears. They help to see perfectly in the dark.
The limbs of sugar possums are very well developed. On each paw they have five long thin fingers with sharp claws. Such “aristocratic” fingers make it possible to reach the larvae and small insects from under the bark, and the sharp claws - to keep well on flexible branches.
Cons when maintaining house sums
- There will be no sugar possum adapt to the owner's daily routine. He will behave as he used to. At night, the marsupial flying squirrel will not sleep, but will jump around the cage, make various sounds, and roar with rods. Therefore, for his cell is best to take a separate room, which will be located away from the bedroom.
- Possums are not very clean and do not know how to use the toilet. Since in nature they jump from tree to tree almost without falling to the ground, they urinate on the fly. So at home, they will mark their excrement furniture, wallpaper and even the owner.
- Possums are used to mark their territory with special glands. This is a very specific smell. Wash it from clothes is almost impossible.so get used to it.
- In no case should Possum be trusted to children. This will be a boon for both children and animals. If you squeeze it in your hand, it can bite hard. Sugar possum loves to run around the host as if it were on a tree, while leaving behind its claws deep wounds that do not heal well.
But, despite all the minuses in the maintenance of marsupials flying houses, there are much more advantages.
Conditions of detention
At home, sugar possum requires maximum space. It must be remembered that the animals are very active, and their elements are trees.
- It is better to keep them in spacious cages with spacing between rods. about 1.3 cm. The rods must have PVC coating. The animals are very smart, so you need to take care of a reliable lock.
- There should be a drinking bowl and several feeders in the cage. Прежде чем вешать поилку, следует убедиться, что ваш питомец к ней приучен. В противном случае зверек может просто умереть от жажды. Кормушки должны быть металлические или керамические, маленького размера.
- Внутри клетки следует соорудить приспособления для лазания. Это могут быть ветки, трубы для грызунов, лесенки, канаты.
- Необходим для поссума в клетке и подвесной домик. It can be wooden or fabric. Entrance to the house should be in diameter from seven to nine centimeters. If you have a pair of animals, then soon there may be offspring. In this case, the house will need to be lowered so that the kids do not fall.
- Since possums mark a territory, the cell and its contents have to wash often. In this case, you must be very careful with detergents. It should be well rinsed.
- You can not let the animals free-range in the house where other animals or birds of prey live.
- It should be remembered that possums do not like drafts, temperatures below twenty degrees and bright lighting.
- large amount of nuts.
Approximate balanced diet:
- Fruits are the most important product in the possum diet. They should be 70% servings.
- Protein foods should be 30% servings.
- In food should be less phosphorus and more calcium.
- Sweet to give a little, only as a treat.
- You can give a little meat additives (unsalted boiled chicken or turkey meat).
- Do not do without live food (grasshoppers or animal bushes).
- Once a week should be given honey, which has a good effect on digestion.
Of course, it is far from easy to contain sugar possums. However, those who are not afraid of difficulties can boldly start fluffy marsupial flyers and they will give about fifteen unforgettable years of intercourse.
Does sugar possum bite and how to wean it off?
- The animal is scared - this may be the case if your pet has appeared recently and has not yet adapted. Or if you are disturbing a pregnant female or an individual with calves. In the second situation it is better not to disturb the living being. And in the first - to try to establish contact with him: to offer a delicacy, speaking gently and calmly at the same time, try to pick up and stroke. If you are still afraid of a bite, pre-wrap your hand with a soft cloth, such as fleece.
- Possum tries to taste you or expresses its location - here it is easier and more effective to divert the flying squirrel: offer him feed, which can also be nibbled.
- The animal does not recognize your smell or you smell like it doesn’t like it - squirrels get used to one particular smell from a person, and when this flavor changes, they simply don’t recognize the owner. Try to use the same perfume or other odorous means (soap, lotion, etc.). As an option - you can take a shower before talking with your pet.
Distinctive features of flying flying flying proteins:
- The animal has a small and thin body, which, due to the presence of flying membranes, seems rather wide.
- The flying membranes extend from the toes of the fore to toes of the hind legs. At rest, they look like a fringe dangling in waves and allow Possum to plan a distance of up to 50 meters. "Rulit" protein paws and tail.
- In females on the belly is a bag with 4 nipples inside.
- The male has a forked penis and a kind of "pompon" on the abdomen, in which there are testicles.
- Another feature of males is the presence of a large number of glands throughout the body. They look like small bald patches and emit an oily substance with a specific musk-like smell. With this substance, the males mark not only the territory, but also representatives of their families.
- The fur is thick and soft. Color - gray, gray-blue, with black stripes. From the side of the abdomen - yellowish-white. On the face there are brown stripes running from the nose to the nape. Flying albino alba and individuals with a yellow-brown color are also found.
- Sheds as a standard twice a year, hair loss can also be observed with improper diet and stress.
- The flying squirrel is considered to be a fairly friendly and affectionate animal.
- Active, is nocturnal, sees well in the dark.
- In natural habitats it lives in groups with a predominance of females, but with a dominant male at the head. In one such group, there may be up to 7 adults and young animals.
- Extremely vocal animal: makes such sounds as yelping, squealing, chirping, grinding sounds, whistling and chirring.
- With a lack of food can fall into a special state, similar to lethargic sleep, and stay in it until 23 hours a day.
- Swim dwarf flying squirrel can not.
- Common diseases - depression (from lack of communication with relatives or the owner), constipation, diarrhea, dehydration, calcium deficiency, obesity.
The advantages of keeping representatives of this type
- Flying squirrels are very interesting to watch, especially when they interact in a group.
- Complicated care tiny relatives koalas do not require. The main thing is to follow important feeding principles and provide the pet with the opportunity to communicate.
- Friendly and friendly, get used to and become attached to the owner.
- Easily adapt to content in captivity.
- Can keep in touch with some pets. The easiest animal to coexist with hamsters, chinchillas, rabbits. With a dog or a cat is more difficult. The temperament of the animals themselves also plays a big role. For example, on some cats, squirrels, sometimes, even learn to ride a horse.
- Possum is quite a clean animal and can independently care for its own fur.
Difficulties in the content of sugar possum:
- These animals, despite all their outer charm, are not intended to be kept by children. They can bite or seriously scratch if they are accidentally squeezed or pressed.
- Sugar squirrels are nocturnal, and since they are quite active, they are quite loud: they make characteristic sounds and rattle with a cage, jumping on it.
- Letyag can not be taught to defend the need in a particular place. Moreover, they often do it right on the fly.
- Males mark their territory, and it is very difficult to get rid of the smell of their marks. If you let your pet out of the cage, then be prepared for the fact that he also marks furniture and carpets.
- Caring for sugar possum can not be called simple. The animal's food requirements are especially high: for normal development, live insects must be in the diet.
- It is dangerous to let the animals out of the cage if there are birds or predators at home.
Photos of sugar possum
First of all, it is important to determine whether you will acquire one possum or a pair of animals. If you have no time or you are simply not ready to communicate with the animal several hours a day (most of the time at night), then the best option is to purchase two pets. More often choose sexes to make a pair of them, or two girls. Females are desirable to acquire from one litter, so that later there will be no quarrels. Two males, even under the condition that they grew up together, will start to clash when they reach puberty. In the company of each other, possums are much more comfortable and more fun, and you don’t have to worry that a lonely animal will get depressed.
The second, very important question of the content of sugar possum at home is his personal living space. One individual will need a cage with a tray-tray, an aviary, a terrarium or a showcase with dimensions of at least 50x50x80 cm. For a couple of individuals - 140x50x80cm. The more spacious the territory, the better. If preference is given to the cage, the distance between the rods should not exceed 1 cm. Otherwise, your pet will be able to leave the dwelling without your knowledge. Plan your constipation system in advance. Possums are quite resourceful and quick-witted, so they will be able to easily deal with the simple things.
The cell is recommended to be placed in a slightly shaded place, away from the bedroom, so as not to suffer from the sounds made by possums at night. Also, the home should be away from drafts, batteries, direct sunlight, indoor plants (especially poisonous), curtains and furniture, to which the animals can reach out and spoil them. The optimum temperature for proteins is not less than 20 and not more than 30 ° C. The pallet is filled with wood filler, better granulated sawdust, as they absorb well and keep the smell.
Inside the cell must be:
- One or more houses-nests (of plywood, wood, dublyanka, coconut) with a passage of 7 - 9 cm in diameter. They are installed or hung at the top of the cage. The bottom of the house should be laid out with a soft filler, for example, hay or a bed of fabric like fleece. The fabric should not stick threads in which the thin fingers and claws of the animal can get tangled.
- Hollow snag, which is convenient to climb or several branched twigs without bark. They need to be changed regularly. You can use oak, aspen, birch, elm branches, hickory. Another important feature of this cell attribute is the grinding of sharp claws.
- A metal or ceramic drinking bowl and several small stable feeders (check first whether the flying squirrel is accustomed to the drinking bowl). And the trough and trough better screw tightly to the walls. There your pets will not be able to turn them over.
- The wheel - solid, without the presence of wire in the structure - is necessary to support the physical shape of animals.
- Toys - plastic, large enough so that the possum could not swallow them, toys for cats will work well.
- Ladders, tunnels, funnels, gamachok and other attractions at will.
The nest must be cleaned at least once every three days, the cage or the aviary - daily. Use non-corrosive non-aggressive detergents, preferably ordinary baking soda. Keep in mind that the more sterile the cage, the stronger the musky smell coming from your pet - in this way the animal marks its territory.
Hair and claw care
The Australian flying squirrel is a fairly neat representative of the animal world. Along with cats, she licks and cleans fur with tongue and claws, so the owner does not need any fur care.
Bathing squirrel is contraindicated. She is not afraid of water, but she doesn’t know how to swim, and, left without proper supervision, she can easily drown even in a jar of water. If suddenly the possum is in something badly smeared, carefully wipe it with a damp napkin (odorless) or a cotton sponge soaked in boiled water. After such a procedure, the animal should be thoroughly dried with a towel and, until it is completely dry, not to allow it to be in a draft or in a cool place.
Some install a bathing bath in a cage, but this is not necessary. Possums don't swim in the sand either.
The claws of the marsupial flyers grind off independently - on the branches of the trees that must be in the cage. If for some reason the claws are too old, they need to be trimmed on their own using a special kogterezki for cats and dogs. This should be done very carefully so as not to damage the vessel passing through the claw. If it is still damaged, dip the claw of the squirrel in dry manganese or use a special hemostat from a veterinary pharmacy. It is imperative to get rid of regrown claws. Otherwise, they will grow into the pads of the paws and will bring the animal discomfort and pain.
If sugar possum strongly resists when clipping claws, try wrapping its legs in a fleece rag and pulling out one finger at a time for clipping. The most convenient way to cut together or distracting the pet with some delicacy. Many breeders recommend an unpleasant procedure during the daytime while the animal is in a sleepy state.
If you want your pet to be healthy and satisfied, at least once a day he needs a walk outside the cage for at least an hour. During such walking, possum will climb on any object that he sees on the way, plan, including on you, and also stick his nose into each loophole.
During the flight, possums touch and knock down small objects from tables and other surfaces. Therefore, be prepared to be on guard and in advance remove expensive items and objects dangerous to the animal from the “pleasure room”. Glasses and mirrors are better to curtain, the flying fellows do not notice them and can get a serious injury.
The most important question that a happy owner of sugar possum will have to face is how to feed the animal. Proper nutrition - a pledge not only health, and, consequently, a long and happy life. The smell and mood of your pet also depend on it.
In the wild, the sugar squirrel is omnivorous. The main part of its food are fruits and insects. In feeding you should adhere to the following principles and rules:
- Rule 70 to 30 - 70% of the diet are proteins, the remaining 30% are carbohydrates.
- Feeders are filled with food, and the drinker is filled with fresh water just before awakening of the volunteers - at about 9-10 o'clock in the evening. In the morning you need to clean the feeders, leave water. If the possum has access to food 24 hours a day, then he will suffer from obesity. Representatives of this subspecies are able to wake up during the daytime and sleepily drag a delicacy into the nest, falling asleep on the go, often with an uncured piece of food in their paws. The maximum that can be left for possums in the daytime is a piece of fruit or dried fruit, as well as a little juice, diluted with water.
- If the pet does not drink for a long time, do not worry. Sugar squirrel may have enough moisture from the fruit. Despite this, water in the drinker must always be present in the cell. It is better to use filtered or bottled water and change it at least once a day to avoid the reproduction of harmful bacteria in it.
- For feeding products from the human table are prohibited: fat, spicy, fried, salty, sausages, etc. The maximum that can be allowed is chicken or turkey meat, cooked without salt and spices.
- Sweet (honey, fruit) can be given to the animal in a limited quantity - as a delicacy, to support the female during pregnancy and feeding the pups.
- In the food should be as much calcium as possible (homemade sugar possum is very painful for its disadvantage) and as little phosphorus as possible.
- All vegetables and fruits should be cut into rather large chunks that it will be convenient for squirrels to take in their paws. Small pieces of the animal will not please.
Products necessary for the normal development of a dwarf flying squirrel:
- Insects - you can feed your pet with live grasshoppers, fly larvae, crickets, mealworms and zoophobes (Latin American worms, a favorite delicacy of sugar possum). The daily rate for an adult individual is more than half a year - 2 - 3 zoophobas per day, 5 - 8 meal worms or 1 - 2 large banana crickets. All of these insects can be purchased at the pet store. Many sugar possum breeders plant zoophobas in plastic containers with sawdust. They eat cucumbers, apples and cereals. Can live up to 3 months. You can also feed possums no more than once a week with one-day chickens or other small chicks.
- Meat - about 30 grams per day per individual, boiled without salt and spices, lean (chicken or turkey).
- Fermented milk products - no more than 2 times a week: natural low-fat cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt, ryazhenka, children's curds and yogurt without preservatives and additives, including without sugar.
- Quail eggs without shell - no more than once in 7 - 10 days.
- Baby food - mashed potatoes for the first feeding, you can with meat.
- Kashi - once in 7 - 10 days, it is necessary to cook them exclusively on the water, as milk is extremely harmful for the volunteers. The most useful ones are oatmeal and buckwheat, with the addition of fruits, dried fruits, candied fruits, honey (literally a drop per serving).
- Whole fruits and vegetables - the main source of carbohydrates. A day, perhaps, requires about 35 - 40 grams of fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables of various kinds. These can be peaches, oranges (if possum is older than six months), kiwi, apples, pineapples, bananas, avocados, watermelon, melons, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, mangoes, papayas, carrots. Products with a laxative effect (beets, pears, plums) should not be offered to a pet.
- Fruit juices and mashed potatoes - up to 20 ml per day. It is advisable to give the animal freshly squeezed juices, diluted with water 1: 1, or juices and mashed potatoes intended for children under 3 years old, without preservatives and sugar.
- Any dried fruit, except prunes - 1 - 2 pieces per day (cherry, pineapple, dried apricots, etc.).
- Nuts - 2 small or 1 large nut per week (peanuts, hazelnuts, pine).
- Honey - only as an additive to the main food, about 1.5 teaspoons per week.
- Drops - no more than one per day.
Vitamins and Minerals
Recommended regular intake of calcium and multivitamins. Usually they are kneaded into powder, they roll in insects and feed them to pets. Some breeders dissolve powders in sweet fruit juice or mashed potatoes. The exact dosage must be selected based on the weight of the animal and instructions on the package. You can buy these supplements in online stores that specialize in exotic animals, or in veterinary pharmacies.
Features of sexual development
Dilution of sugar marsupials in home conditions is a rather responsible and costly occupation. Breeding possum is difficult to call a profitable business. It requires a lot of time (the female takes care of the cubs for more than 4 months) and the presence of an isolated and spacious room.
Многие заводчики говорят о том, что самки, ждущие или выкармливающие потомство, становятся намного менее дружелюбными и ласковыми. По разным причинам (стресс, генетическая предрасположенность, ранняя беременность и мн. др.) самки могут отказываться от собственных детенышей или даже есть их. Поэтому прежде чем решиться на приобретение разнополой пары, следует хорошо продумать все нюансы будущего содержания зверьков.
Males and females reach puberty at different ages: males from 4 months, females by half a year. Nevertheless, parental responsibilities should be placed on animals no earlier than a year. The mating season usually falls in June-July. Animals produce offspring 1 - 2 times a year. For mating, it is not necessary to choose individuals that are in related relationships - this can lead to pathologies in the young.
Mating occurs within 24 hours after the start of estrus in the female. She can behave excitedly, make call-up sounds, refuse food. The male looks quite aggressive from the side: bites the back of a resisting girlfriend and even inflicts wounds on her. But for possums this is normal behavior. The wound, if it appears, should be treated to prevent infection. If the future father continues to disturb the female, she must be transplanted into another cage until full recovery.
Pregnancy and childbirth
Pregnancy lasts 15 - 16 days. It is not necessary to set the male out of the cage during pregnancy. He does not interfere with her friend, and after giving birth she also helps her care for her offspring.
Feeling the approach of childbirth, the female carefully licks the bag on the stomach, and after the birth also the path for the offspring - from the genitals to the bag. This way a tiny squirrel overcomes itself in literally 5 minutes.
Despite the fact that in the bag 4 nipples, the offspring usually does not exceed 1 - 2 babies. In the bag, the probum lasts for about 9 to 10 weeks, without breaking away from the mother's nipple - that swells in his mouth, and the crumb is literally glued to him.
In the period of feeding "babies" the diet of the female should be increased - at the rate of plus 50% for each calf.
After some time, the babies move from the mother's bag to the backs of the parents, and then become independent. At the age of 4 months they can already be weaned from the female.
The most common Australian flying squirrels are:
When late treatment is transformed into paralysis of the hind limbs. To prevent the onset and development of the disease, one should observe a balance of calcium and fluorine in the diet: ideally, it is a 2: 1 ratio. To avoid illness, use calcium regularly as a food supplement. The dosage and the exact name of the drugs can be clarified with the veterinarian or breeder from whom the animal was purchased.
Causes of constipation are stress, lack of fluid and fiber in the diet. Prunes and oranges can be used as first aid measures.
Diarrhea can be caused by the abuse of weak foods, stress, infectious diseases, or an individual reaction to a food product. As a treatment, it is necessary to identify and cancel the root cause of the disease.
It is caused by loss of fluid due to insufficient water intake, vomiting, or frequent urination due to certain diseases (for example, the genitourinary system). Dehydration of an animal for more than 12 hours can lead to death, therefore it requires an immediate appeal to a veterinarian. As an emergency measure, try offering water sweetened with honey to your pet or self-drinking it from a syringe without a needle.
Depression is a lethargic and apathetic condition, due to frequent stress, lack of communication with the owner, or lack of a companion. Additional symptoms: loss of appetite, change in sleep patterns, stupor, falling in place. In such situations, it is necessary to eliminate all stressful factors as soon as possible: to get a partner’s pet, to contact him more, to show attention and affection.
Flying squirrel (momonga) at home
These cute tiny creatures are literally “pocket” animals, as they have a deep affection for their owner. They will be happy to spend hours with you or sleep, wrapped in your clothes.
Fluffy membrane folds between the front and hind legs give them a special charm. And such big loving eyes can melt everyone's heart. That is why flying squirrels are now quite popular as pets.
Flying like a pet
In general, these are very curious and affectionate animals, if you pay due attention to them. At the age of 6-8 weeks the squirrel are ready to go to a new home. Feed them from hands so that they get used to their new family as quickly as possible. The average life expectancy in captivity is 10-12 years. Reach very small size, weight only about 200 grams. The flying squirrel is a nocturnal animal, but due to devotion to the owner it is ready to rebuild its natural rhythms in order to spend as much time with it as possible. Under natural conditions, the folds of the skin, which form a kind of wings, help them to quickly move and escape from predators. Their natural enemies are mainly large owls, less often martens and sables.
Acquire flyers at the age of no more than 8 weeks. Feed from hand and carry in a breast pocket a shirt for several hours a day for at least 2-3 weeks. So they get used to your voice and smell. Your warmth and care will make them truly tame.
The first two weeks we recommend to keep the little squirrel in a small plastic carrying. Then you will need a good high and spacious cage at least 60x60x90 cm (width between the rods not more than 1.5 cm), and an open-air cage is better. The cage must be kept away from direct sunlight, batteries and drafts. The filler should be changed 1-2 times a week. Lighthouses need a place to move in order to feel comfortable. Indeed, in nature, from a height of 12 meters, they can jump a distance of up to 50 meters! Attach a large number of branches at different levels, install toys, a wheel and a hammock for an overnight stay. It is best to use natural materials - cotton, felted wool or ready-made baskets from rods. In the wild, these squirrels prefer pine, cedar or spruce with abandoned hollows, which made woodpeckers. For the arrangement of nests use moss and lichen.
It is worth remembering that they are quite shy and can bite in case of danger. Therefore, let other people have the opportunity to communicate, play and feed the flying dog from an early age. Then the squirrel will not attack the outsiders, protecting you. We would recommend having two flyers at once, as they are social animals and behavior problems may arise, because they will be lonely. But this is not a mandatory rule. Proteins should spend a lot of time and outside the cell so that they can play and not gain weight. But do not let them out, because they will jump onto a tree and you will lose them.
Features of hand feeding bellets
Manual feeding is necessary in order to bind a little squirrel to yourself as soon as possible. But it is important to treat this with all responsibility, since improper feeding can be fatal. If you buy flying hare from a trusted breeder, then she should already be accustomed to feeding. You must first prepare a syringe, a mixture (goat's milk or a substitute) and a napkin. In no case do not feed the baby on his back, he must stand! Show him the tip of the syringe, he will reach for it. Slowly press down on the syringe, stopping every 5-8 seconds to let the little squirrel fully finish the portion. This is very important, since too fast a feed will push the mixture into the lungs and the baby will die within a few hours.
The number of feedings at least 3 times a day for 6-10 minutes (total consumption of a mixture of 3-5 syringes). Kids won't eat more than they need. After you have to wipe the face and carry it back to the cage. It is recommended not to play with them for an hour, so that they can easily digest writing. Podroshchenny balkhat feed on the mixture already 2 times a day with the addition to the diet of apple slices (oranges) and coniferous seeds. After 2 weeks, you should gradually stop feeding and go to the main feed, fruits and vegetables.
How to feed the flying squirrel?
The alimentary tract of the volunteers is adapted to coarse plant foods that contain difficult to digestible fiber. Ledger can be fed with fresh sprigs of willow, birch, alder catkins, fruit cones, rowan berries, lettuce, cabbage, dandelion, tender maple sprouts, aspen and buds of deciduous trees. The seeds of spruce, cedar and pine, as well as sunflower and pumpkin, are a delicacy and an obligatory addition to the daily ration for these animals. Be careful when buying in regular stores, the product should not be salt!
In winter, the flying squirrel eats also fir needles, makes stocks from the branches of larch with small knobs. In the summer you can treat with berries, fruits, vegetables, insects, dry porcini mushrooms and chanterelles. You can also offer grain sticks. With nuts (pecans and walnuts) is better not to overdo it, this is not the main food, but a delicacy. To balance the calcium in the body, you should give an orange no more than 2 times a week along a slice. And do not forget to regularly change the water in the water bowl! Still have questions? We collected answers to the topic flying squirrels at home.