Small chickens are extremely susceptible to changes in the external environment. Temperature fluctuations, increased air humidity, lack of lighting or draft for them are a serious stress and risk of disease. The solution will be a DIY brooder for chickens.
The design is quite simple, with certain skills and the presence of simple material on its construction will take no more than two evenings, but the young will continue to have a comfortable, equipped with a heating and lighting house for growth in the first month of life.
Design features brooder for chickens
Novice poultry farmers often replace packing boxes, crates, or other suitable containers at hand instead of real brooder. Such temporary solutions are easy and cheap, but it is impossible to use them all the time:
- due to natural wear of the structure,
- due to the aging of the material
- due to the inability to conduct high-quality disinfection and cleaning between batches of young animals.
In addition, cardboard or other temporary brooders withstand worse drafts, cool faster, they are more difficult to adjust the required temperature and humidity conditions, to make high-quality lighting and a removable tray to collect droppings. Also it is necessary to take into account that the chicks constantly need water, as well as wet, at first, feed.
Considering all the pros and cons, a poultry farmer should take care of building a cage for chickens with their own hands, which has an enviable margin of safety and is equipped with:
- adjustable heating system
- feeders and drinkers by the number of chicks in the brooder.
In addition, the design should be easy to wash and clean, adequately maintaining and living chickens, and these mandatory procedures.
Materials for the manufacture of brooders for growing chickens do it yourself
Repeated use of a brooder suggests that for its manufacture should take wear-resistant, durable materials that are not afraid of any moisture or heat or light.
At home, preference can be given to plywood, thin up to 25 mm thick board and a bar 30 to 30 mm for the manufacture of the frame and other structural elements. The walls of a brooder can go fiberboard or particleboard, but their density and wear resistance is lower than that of high-quality plywood.
So that the litter and the remnants of food do not accumulate on the floor, its surface is made not solid, but ethmoid. The smaller the chicks, the smaller should be the cells of the mesh used. Most often used mesh with 10 mm cells, the same material is useful for the manufacture of mesh parts of the doors.
Litter, falling through the net, should fall into a special tray. It is more convenient if it is not wooden, but metal or plastic, for which, for example, PVC wall or ceiling panels are used. In this case, the tank is easier to clean, wash and maintain proper hygienic condition.
For heating installation of infrared incandescent bulbs of different types.
Having foreseen the presence of a thermostat, you can sensitively react to changes in external conditions and adjust the temperature in the brooder for chickens.
In addition, the home craftsman will need to stock up with screws, a pair of piano hinges for attaching the doors, electric cable and cartridge, as well as plastic mesh for the doors.
Making a brooder for growing chickens with your own hands
Before you make a cage for chickens with your own hands, it is important to calculate its dimensions, outline a diagram and prepare all consumables. The size of the brooder depends on the number of farmed livestock, as well as on how long the chickens will be kept in such a comfortable cage.
For self-made brooders for chickens, the drawings must include such structural details as:
- box for chicks with doors for access inside the brooder,
- mesh bottom of the cage and tray for collecting litter and other debris,
- lighting system boxes and air heating.
The work begins with cutting a sheet of plywood according to the drawings.
On the sides and the back wall of the cage, plywood or bar strips make original guides for the lattice removable bottom.
To do this, prepare 4 strips of equal length for the side panels and two strips for the end. The length of such parts should be two centimeters shorter than the length of the brooder walls. Fastening of the lower slats is carried out along the edge of the walls, retreating from the side sections of 1 cm.
When the lower bands take their places, strictly above them, at a distance of 3 cm in parallel, attach one more bar. When building a brooder for raising chickens by yourself, it is important to accurately observe the distance between the parts of the improvised sled. Only in this case the removable bottom and litter tray will move without difficulty.
Then to the sides of the fixed segments of the bar, which are designed to play the role of ribs. The size of the bars is calculated so that their upper edge was flush with the edge of the side walls, and the lower one was 3 cm above the upper bar.
Now you can put all three sides together. The correctness of the manufacture of their own hands and drawings brooder for chickens says complete coincidence of the grooves in the lower part of the structure.
The front panel is cut out of plywood, the parts are assembled according to the drawings and hinges are attached to the sides of the frame for the subsequent hanging of the doors.
Deaf details for two doors are cut out of a sheet of plywood in size of the frame and fastened in place.
When all the details assembled with their own hands for growing brooder chicks are ready, you can proceed to the installation of the structure, which completes the mounting two and the ceiling, cut from the same sheet of plywood.
Brooder frame assembled, but the work is not completed. Now you need to make a removable mesh bottom and tray for receiving litter in size slightly smaller than the plywood bottom of the device. This is necessary for a free but reliable travel trays.
The mesh is fastened between the plywood strips on the type of frame, so that the design is strong and practical.
The litter tray is made similarly to the mesh bottom, only a lightweight, hygienic plastic panel is used as the base.
A long wide bar covering the gap between the net and the plywood bottom is fastened to the front plate with self-tapping screws. It prevents rubbish from falling out and reduces the spread of bird odor.
To make it easier for the poultry farmer to keep an eye on chickens and serve brooders, it is useful to make sieve windows on the front doors. For this, a jigsaw selects the central part of the plywood part.
A strong plastic mesh is attached to the resulting frame.
However, it is not enough to make a brooder for the chickens according to the blueprints. For a comfortable stay of chicks, they need a lighting and heating system that is connected to the electrical network.
The power and location of the lamps to maintain the temperature in the brooder for chicks is calculated based on the size of the device, its location and external conditions outside.
The box ready for entry into the chickens is equipped with feeders, drinkers, thermometers to monitor the housing conditions, and then warms up. If you have to grow a large number of young animals, construct multi-tiered cages for chickens.
A video on how to construct a brooder for chickens using your own hands will be a useful tool for a novice breeder who has decided to start growing healthy, healthy young animals on his own.
Broder: device and principle of operation
In order for the chickens to develop normally and not get sick in the first days of their lives, they decided to use brooder in the poultry industry - the first home for the young people in the hen house. It usually consists of:
- lighting systems
- drinking bowls
- devices that will control the level of humidity and heating,
In brooder chicks live up to one month of age. As a basis for such a device, a cardboard box or other similar containers will fit in a hurry - this is the cheapest option. But behind the apparent savings is impracticality. Therefore, if such a container is used, it is only for one generation of chickens:
- the boxes quickly break,
- they do not fully protect against drafts,
- it is difficult to disinfect cardboard without losing its durability,
- cleaning of litter and debris is hampered by the design.
A good reusable brooder meets these requirements:
- The flooring always remains dry and non-slippery.
- It is advisable to equip the structure with a pallet for collecting and disposing of excrement.
- Fresh air should flow freely inside the brooder. But drafts are contraindicated.
- Increased humidity is not desirable.
- The heat source should not overheat the chicks. It is better to place it in a place inaccessible to birds.
Attention! If you follow the drawings and the step-by-step algorithm exactly, then even a beginner’s wizard will take 2-3 days to assemble the assembly.
Brooder do-it-yourself: what material is needed
For the foundation of a home-made device you need a durable, wear-resistant material that will retain its properties under the influence of moisture, heat and light. Fiberboard and particleboard - not the best option for this. Good quality plywood is what you need. You will need sheets with a thickness of 25 mm and a bar of 30x30 mm.
The bottom of the brooder should be made from the grid with a small cell. It does not have to be made of metal. Check only the strength of the mesh. The width will fit 10-mm cells. They are wide enough for droppings to fall down and are comfortable for chickens. Lattices take the future. Useful also on the door box.
The excrement should fall not on the floor of the room, but in the prepared tray. It is better to make it out of plastic or metal - it will be easier to clean and wash. Of the most simple options, pay attention to the ceiling or wall PVC panels. Also before work prepare:
- infrared lamps of any type
- two hinges for the door,
- self-tapping screws
- lamp holder, wiring.
Build a home brooder: technology features
The size of the future design is directly dependent on the number of chicks. The norm is approximately 200x100x50 cm (length-width-height). Make a design drawing, taking into account the placement of all elements. On the inside of the side and rear walls, even before assembly, it would be nice to make guide strips for free movement of the grille:
- Reiki will be located at the bottom and top. Length - 2 cm shorter than the length of the side wall.
- Fasten the lower strips at a suitable height, departing 1 cm from the side cuts. These are the grooves for the tray.
- The upper bands are located 3 cm above. These are the grooves for the grille.
The next step is to attach plywood blocks to the sides. They will perform the function of stiffeners. The upper edge of the element should be at the edge of the side walls, the lower edge should be 3 cm above the upper rail. After you assemble the plywood sides, the grill and the tray together, all the parts should form a flat and stable construction.
Cover the front opening with a plywood door. Cut a suitable piece of material and fasten it on the hinges. In the panel you need to make a window on a third of the area for ventilation. It can be located in the center or adjacent to the edge, be square or have rounded corners. Use for this fretsaw. Close the window with a plastic net and watch the brood.
Council On the door you can install the latch.
Next, collect all the remaining parts: install a removable tray and grid floor, then the ceiling. There should be no gaps between the floor and the tray on the outer walls. They can be covered with wide strips that are mounted on the screws. They will prevent drafts and the spread of unpleasant odors.
Installation of electrical brooder system
The comfort of the chickens inside the brooder is provided by a system of infrared lamps that illuminate and heat the brood:
- Cut a hole in the ceiling of the structure.
- Run a cable through it. Secure the chuck.
- Attach wiring to the outside.
- Attach the plug and dimmer to the other end of the wire.
Screw in the lamp. It is very important to choose the right power. Norm - 0.28 kW per 1 square. m. Whether you made the right choice - can be estimated by the behavior of chicks:
- low temperature - kids get together in groups,
- too warm - a lot of litter and difficulty breathing,
- optimal heating - chickens eat well and drink well.
Council Effectively working in brooder light reflector mounted on the lamp. This allows you to create inside two thermal zones. Chickens themselves will be able to choose: bask them under a mirror or cool in another place.
In the first 3 days of chick life, it is important to create a climate for them with a humidity level of about 60-70%. In the same period, the light bulb in their home should not be turned off 23 hours a day. The work is completed by fixing the drinkers and feeders. Properly building a brooder will help you repeatedly grow high-grade bird offspring.
Brooder is a special design, inside which stable temperature and humidity indices are necessary for raising young birds in the first days after birth (Figure 1).
Note: In fact, the design represents a kind of nursery for birds, because in the first few days after hatching, the chicks experience severe stress, need warmth and become more susceptible to various diseases.
To reduce the percentage of mortality of young animals, brooder must be equipped with everything necessary:
- Install a convenient watering and feeding trough so that the chickens have constant access to high-quality feed and drinking water.
- Inside the box, you need to install equipment to maintain a constant temperature and humidity at an optimal level.
- It is also necessary to equip the box with a ventilation system and install lighting devices, since the length of daylight hours directly affects the speed of development of the young.
- Additionally, you need to take care of the litter, and after the settlement of chickens - constantly monitor its quality and moisture level.
It is important not only to properly equip the box, but also to calculate the optimal size of such a design. The fact is that the development of young stock depends largely on the density of the chickens. If the chicks are too crowded, they will not be able to fully develop, so the size of the box must be calculated in strict accordance with the number of livestock.
The size of the structure depends not only on the number of individuals to be contained in it, but also on the material from which it will be made. If you do not want to make such a box yourself, you can easily adapt an old bedside table or a large aquarium to your chicks' needs (Figure 2).
Figure 2. The optimal size of the structure
On average, the size of a standard box is 100 cm in length, 50 in width and the same in height. In fact, this is the size of the old mezzanine, which were installed on the Soviet-made cabinets. It is possible to contain up to 50 chickens in such a box, regardless of whether the broiler breed or not. In addition, this design is considered quite roomy and for the maintenance of other types of poultry: ducklings, goslings, young quails and even turkeys.
Device and nuances
Quite often beginner poultry farmers use not specially equipped constructions, but old boxes or boxes made of cardboard. These structures have the right to life only if there is a small population in the farm, and the rearing is carried out not more than once a year.
Note: The fact is that cardboard boxes for chickens are, albeit a cheap, but temporary solution, because such containers wear out quickly, and it’s impossible to grow several batches of young stock in them because of the impossibility of high-quality disinfection of the internal space.
It should also be borne in mind that cardboard boxes are rapidly cooled, and it is extremely difficult to maintain an optimum temperature inside.
Given these features, in the manufacture of high-quality brooder should take into account such nuances:
- The walls of the structure must be strong enough so that they do not collapse over time due to high humidity or frequent use. In addition, the indoor and outdoor spaces should be easy to wash and disinfect, especially if you plan to grow several batches of young stock in turns.
- Inside there should be no drafts, and at its bottom it is desirable to put a special pan to collect litter. It can be covered with a litter, which can later be changed if necessary.
- You should also take care that there is enough space inside the structure to install heating and lighting devices. As a rule, an ordinary light bulb acts as a heating device, but in order for the chicks to not accidentally get a burn, you need to ensure that they have enough space and they can sit some distance from the light bulb.
Также внутри обязательно устанавливают кормушки и поилки (рисунок 3). Желательно, чтобы сверху они были защищены перегородками, чтобы цыплята не могли забраться внутрь и загрязнить воду и корм остатками подстилки или испражнений.
Как сделать брудер для цыплят своими руками
At first glance it may seem that making a brooder with your own hands is very difficult, because for this you need to take into account many nuances. In fact, the installation of such a structure does not present any particular difficulties, especially if you have prepared in advance all the necessary drawings, materials and tools for installation.
To simplify your task of self-production, we will provide detailed step-by-step instructions for assembling such a design.
Tools and materials
When the design and its drawing is prepared, you can begin to prepare the necessary materials and tools. First of all, you will need a sheet of plywood 150 * 150 cm and a thickness of 1 cm. This thickness is considered optimal because the chicks will not be able to destroy their “house”, and its walls will calmly withstand frequent washing and disinfection (Figure 4).
In addition, from the materials you will need:
- Rail 50 * 15 mm,
- 4 loops for arranging the opening cover,
- Galvanized mesh with cells measuring 10 * 10 mm. In this case, the size of the grid itself should be 1 * 0.5 m, so that it occupies the entire bottom. Additionally, you need to prepare a piece of plaster mesh for doors,
- To make a fecal collection tray, you will need a sheet of tin, several plastic panels and oilcloth.
- To fasten all the elements together, prepare nails or screws.
- To install lighting inside the box, prepare a cable section, a dimmer, a lampholder and the lamp itself. For heating and lighting such a small space, a single 40-watt or 60-watt infrared lamp will suffice.
To connect the lighting device, you will need a plug, and for high-quality heating of the entire internal space on one of the walls you need to fix a layer of reflective material.
From the tools you need a pencil and tape measure, a hacksaw for cutting material, a hammer, a drill, a screwdriver and a screwdriver to connect the parts together.
So that the assembly process with your own hands would not present any difficulties for you, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to make such a design (Figure 5).
Figure 5. Initial build phase
Preparation and assembly of parts of brooder for chickens is carried out in the following sequence:
- On one side of a sheet of plywood you need to cut a piece of 50 * 150 cm in size, and cut the rest into three equal parts of 100 * 50 cm each. These three parts will serve as the top, back wall and bottom.
- From the first piece of plywood (50 * 150 cm) we saw off two equal parts (50 * 50 cm each). In the future, they will become the side walls of the box.
- Walls fastened together. If at this stage you have any difficulties, you can first make a skeleton of a future construction from a wooden lath, and then attach construction elements to it.
- Now you need to make a pan to collect feces. To do this, take a wooden rail and make a frame of it, measuring 98 * 49 cm. For the bottom we use a sheet of plywood 100 * 50 cm. The dimensions of the sheet need to be adjusted to the frame area and fasten. At the final stage, the plywood is covered with a layer of dense oilcloth.
- Install the finished pallet inside the structure. At a short distance above it, on the side walls, we fasten pieces of wooden slats on which the floor will be fixed.
- To make the floor, you need to make a similar frame from the slats, but it should be covered not with plywood, but with galvanized mesh. When the chickens are settled inside, in the first few days it is better to cover the net with a newspaper so that the chickens do not freeze.
- Now proceed to the manufacture of doors. Their size is 45 * 31 cm. The frame of the door is also made from the batten, but we cover it with a plastering grid.
- To the size of the front wall we make a wooden frame, fasten hinges on it and hang the door.
If necessary, the doors can be equipped with valves. At the final stage it is necessary to make a hole in the ceiling, insert a cable into it and attach a bulb holder to it. On the opposite side we attach the plug and dimmer. It is also advisable to install a thermometer on the back wall, which will help to control the indoor temperature (Figure 6).
To finally equip the box for keeping chickens, it is enough to install inside the feeders and drinkers, and screw the light bulb into the cartridge.
Figure 6. Final manufacturing steps
Using this algorithm of actions, you will rather quickly be able to make several boxes at once, and form a whole battery out of them for keeping large numbers of young stock.
Heating and temperature broiler chickens
The main role in the successful cultivation of chickens and other young birds is played by the temperature inside. On average, about 0.28 kW of heater power should be per square meter.
It is possible to determine how comfortable the chicks are inside such an improvised box, by their behavior. If the birds are warm and comfortable, they will actively eat and drink, and will not accumulate in one of the corners of the box. If it is cold inside, the chicks will begin to gather in large groups and be located closer to the light bulb.
Increasing the temperature inside is also accompanied by certain behavioral features: the chicks begin to breathe heavily and try to stay at the far wall of the box, away from the heater.
It should be borne in mind that the temperature depends on the type of farmed birds. For example, for chickens of chickens and quails in the first few days after hatching, the temperature should be maintained at +35 degrees, and after 3-5 days it will be reduced to 30 degrees. It is also necessary to monitor the level of humidity inside the house. During the first three days after birth, it should be at the level of 60-70%, so there should be enough space inside to install a container with water, which will help maintain the optimum level of humidity.
Auto video shows in detail all the stages of manufacturing brooder.
The simplest version of a brooder can be made from a sheet of plywood, 150 * 150 cm in size. After all the measurements and cutting the material, you will have a reliable box of standard size: 100 cm long, 50 wide and 50 high (Figure 7).
Figure 7. Drawings and photos of standard brooder
This design is considered the most common and versatile. The fact is that up to 50 newborn chickens, ducklings or goslings can reside in such a box. It is better to colonize chickens of broiler breeds of chickens or turkeys less, so that all individuals have enough space and there is no fight or hustle between the chicks. If you grow quails, much more chicks will fit in a box of this size.
To make it easier for you to make a poultry broder with your own hands, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the detailed drawing of this design in the figure.
How to choose and where to buy a brooder
Not everyone has the time and desire to make a brooder with their own hands. In this case, the best way out of the situation will be to purchase an already finished industrial production structure.
To choose a quality brooder, you need to consider a few nuances:
- The design should be equipped with a heating device (lamp) with a temperature controller. With it, you can adjust the temperature in the box, depending on the age and general condition of the chickens. Models with automatic temperature control, but for home breeding chickens do not need them.
- It is better to choose a brooder with special ceramic heaters that maintain the temperature well, but do not irritate the chickens with bright light.
- You should also pay attention to the capacity of the brooder. This indicator is especially important for those who are going to grow large livestock.
- To make it easier to remove litter from the box, it is better to choose models with a mesh floor and a special tray to collect waste products.
In addition, a high-quality brooder is immediately equipped with several feeders and drinkers, so you will only need to place chicks in it for rearing.
Lighting and temperature broiler chickens
Successful breeding of poultry is due to proper care, feeding and compliance with the optimum temperature and light conditions. Failure to comply with the conditions of the young stock will lead to its death. The temperature of the content in the first week of life of chickens is twenty-seven degrees Celsius. In the second, it can be reduced to twenty-five degrees Celsius. Lighting should be around the clock. Over time, the light decreases. Thus, making a brooder with your own hands, for the chickens you need to ensure the above conditions of detention.
Providing comfortable conditions for the young
Before you build a comfortable place for chicks, you should decide on the number that will be placed in it. The allowable density of young stock is 25 pieces per square meter. Brooder drawings for chickens will be determined by this parameter. For a small number of chicks, an ordinary box will suffice.
Very often for these purposes use a cardboard or plastic box. However, it will be difficult to comply with the necessary growth parameters. A structure made of more durable materials will be suitable.
We make a brooder with our own hands for chickens. Dimensions and materials
Designs of boxes for breeding chicks can be different. The simplest option is a fitted box made of thick cardboard or a plastic container of sufficient size. Knowing the number of prospective young birds, determine the size of the box in which they will be grown. First of all, it must provide the necessary conditions of detention, as well as be convenient for maintenance.
More practical and convenient will be boxes of certain sizes and designs. For their manufacture, you can use moisture-resistant plywood. From this material it turns out an excellent body that provides rigidity to the structure. The upper part of the box is covered with a removable mesh lid.
The dimensions of the brooder for chickens will be:
- length - 1 meter,
- height and width - 0.5 meters,
- internal height - 0.45 meters.
Making a brooder with their own hands for chickens, use a variety of options. First of all, the design itself may have small modifications. These can be drawers with hinged doors located on top or in the side. Use transparent plastic for windows or mesh partitions. The master can make these improvements at his own discretion. At the same time, the basic principles are preserved: reliable heating and ventilation, the absence of drafts, illumination and protection from predators. After purchasing the material of the desired size, which will correspond to the number of chickens, proceed to the manufacture of the structure. Make the body of appropriate size.
The side walls must be securely fastened and have a rigid structure that allows later fixing lighting devices on it. The bottom of the box is made of the same material as the side walls. It is also securely fastened. This provides the movement of the box. In sunny weather, chickens benefit from ultraviolet baths. With secure attachment, the drawers can be moved freely.
For convenience, the top of the box is equipped with a hinged mesh lid. It will not interfere with the access of air and will provide reliable protection from predators. This design is convenient when caring for chicks. Daily litter change and bird feeding provide constant access to the crate. Before placing the equipment, the inside of the box must be disinfected with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. The bottom of the box is covered with clean paper, which changes as it gets dirty.
Heat and light
Making a brooder with their own hands, for chickens organize the necessary heating and illumination. If conventional cardboard boxes or plastic containers are used, heating and illumination are provided with ordinary table lamps. Brooders of more complex design equip infrared lighting devices. They do an excellent job with heating and lighting the entire brooder.
You can also use heating with heaters placed on the bottom of the box. In this case, ordinary incandescent bulbs are used for lighting, which are mounted in the upper part of the box. Adequate thermal conditions and illumination provide comfortable conditions for the chicks. The youngsters move freely around the brooder. The temperature inside the box can be monitored with a mounted thermometer. The yoke is attached to the side wall.
Feeders and drinkers for chicks
In addition to heat and light, chickens need feeding. A built broder with their own hands for chickens is equipped with a convenient feeder and a drinker.
This simple inventory is easy to make. Do not use glass feeders. It is better to make small but roomy wooden ones. The design of the drinker should not allow nestlings to get wet. It can be made from a deep saucer and a liter jar with a plastic lid having openings. It is filled with boiled water. Cover with a lid. Next, turning, set in a saucer. Chicks will have constant access to water.
The first diet for chicks consists of a weak solution of glucose and finely chopped steep eggs. Greens, vegetables, millet and low-fat cottage cheese are added to subsequent feedings. It is necessary to ensure that the water in the drinking bowl is constantly fresh water. The feeders are well lit. Feeding dry food provides constant illumination. When using wet mashins as food, the light duration is reduced to seventeen hours. Vitamins A, B, E will be useful in the diet. They are added to the feed at the rate of 1 drop per 1 chicken. Fish oil also contributes to good growth.
What you need to make a good brooder?
For the manufacture of high-quality wear-resistant brooder, which can be used repeatedly will need:
- The bar for the manufacture of the frame,
- plywood, fiberboard or particleboard thickness up to 10 mm for the walls. 2 sheets with dimensions of 1.5 by 1.5 m will suffice
- galvanized mesh with cells 10-12 mm for the floor and for the ceiling (if you want to close the heating and lighting lamps with a mesh),
- plastic tray to fit the size of the brooder. The tray can be replaced with a plastic panel or just an oilcloth,
- infrared incandescent lamp for heating (can be replaced with an ordinary incandescent lamp of higher power),
- thermostat to maintain the required temperature
- lighting lamp
- foil reflector.
In addition, you will need screws for wood, hinges for hanging doors - 2 or 4, plastic mesh for doors, 2 electrical cables and 2 rounds. The best option if the master will have the following tools: screwdriver, handsaw or jigsaw, tape measure, hammer, scissors.
The size of the brooder depends on the number of chicks and how old they will be in the tank. For example, in a construction with dimensions of 100x50x50 cm (LxHxC) about 50 chickens can be housed (slightly less than broiler chickens). Different variations of sizes are quite possible, the main thing is that the nursery's nursery should be as comfortable and safe as possible. For example, to raise 60 chickens broder can be increased: to project a width of 60 cm, meter length and height of 45-50 cm.
Views and drawings
Someone feeds the chickens through the doors, and someone arranges a retractable feeder. Each poultry farmer chooses the most convenient brooder design for himself.
If everything is done qualitatively and correctly, taking into account all the nuances of the design, then it will be possible to keep in a brooder in the first weeks of life not only laying hens, but also broilers, ducks, quails. For example, in a manger designed for 60 chickens, up to 100 quails or up to 40 ducklings will then easily fit.
For example, a fairly simple two-tiered brooder is made according to the drawing shown in the video:
It looks like this, you can download the drawing in the description for the video:
In the first drawing (top view) it can be seen that the brooder is 60 cm wide and one and a half meters long. On each side, troughs, designed with a width of 140 mm, extend beyond the design. A nipple drinker passes through the entire length of the brooder: at the edges of the feeder there are clamps for holding it.
The second drawing is a rear view. Here you can see a gap running above for ventilation of the interior.
The next drawing is a front view. The height of the brooder (both tiers) in accordance with the drawing - 180 cm, 13 cm - the height of each garbage bin. There is a viewing window in front.
What diseases cause geese to fall on their feet and how to determine the disease? You can learn more about this by reading our article.
Is it profitable to organize a duck farm and how much can you earn on it? Detailed calculations are here.
The most common variant of a 1.5 meter long brooder is made like this:
- Sawed bars for the frame. 6 142 cm long, 6 44 cm long, 4 vertical legs of 60 cm each.
- All the bars come together in a frame. The lower horizontal level of the bars should be located at the floor level, the second horizontal level - at a distance of about 15 cm from the lower bars (the distance is left for the tray arrangement).
- On the second level of the bars, the grid is fastened with self-tapping screws. Если в каком-то месте возникает необходимость стыковать 2 куска сетки, внизу в этом месте устанавливается еще один поддерживающий брусок, чтобы она не провисала под цыплятами. Под сеткой на расстоянии каждых 50 см можно протянуть проволочные струны для поддержки.
- Вырезаем дно, потолок и боковые стенки из фанеры или OSB-плиты.
- Крепим потолок к каркасу саморезами.
- Дно можно изготовить двухслойным. The first plane is made of polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a very convenient material, it is easily cut, it is convenient to fasten and quickly wipe in case garbage is poured from the tray. Polycarbonate must be mounted on top of the bars so that it is as tight as possible. If the polycarbonate bottom goes wave, it can be difficult to extend the tray. Polycarbonate can be replaced with plastic panels.
- Bottom on the bars under the polycarbonate we stuff the bottom and plywood or OSB plates (you can even make the walls of a plastic panel - they will be easier to wipe) as well as the ceiling.
- Back and side walls are sutured.
- We make the door of the bars and completely sew up the net. The grid must be mounted outside the door.
- The front side of a brooder can be sewn with any material at hand: either with plywood, or plastic, or with the same mesh as the door.
- We hang the door on the vertical posts of the bars on the hinges and fasten a handle to it.
- Making a tray for manure removal.
- We connect the heaters and light.
This is where the production of the brooder box is completed. It remains only to equip the room with lighting and heating system. Select the power of the lamps should be in accordance with the size of the brooder and its location: on the street or indoors. In the finished brooder you need to install a thermometer, feeder and drinker. For newborn chickens the bottom of the brooder in the first days should be covered with a newspaper.
For daily babies need a temperature of 29-30 degrees. After a week, it is recommended to reduce it to 26, and the monthly young growth feels great already at 18. For broiler chickens, the temperature should be 2–3 degrees higher.
Excessive heating for chicks is unacceptable, so the automatic thermostat will be a useful device. Heating is usually carried out with one or two ceramic infrared lamps. If they are not available, they can be replaced with ordinary incandescent bulbs. Do not forget to attach a reflector on top so that heat does not dissipate around.
In the first 2 weeks of life, chickens need round-the-clock light. Then the length of daylight hours is gradually reduced to 14–17 hours for broilers and to 8 hours for hens. If there is a lack of light, the young will develop more slowly, if there is too much light, peck at each other. To illuminate a brooder with the specified sizes, a single incandescent lamp of 60 W or its energy-saving analog is sufficient. In a cool period, you can cover the mesh door from the outside with a plywood sheet.
Feeders put the usual or bunker type, for pulling out which will have to cut an additional slot in the wall. The advantage of such feeders - the ability not to disturb the chicks at the time of feeding. For watering chicks, it is better to buy drinkers with a sensitive nipple and a drip tray. In a conventional plate or container, chicks may drown.
Nipple drinkers with droplet catchers will also help to keep the optimum humidity level in the room. Chickens need humidity of 60-70%. So that it does not increase, it is necessary to pour water out of the drop catchers in time, to clean the litter, the remnants of wet food. The room must be ventilated.
Brooder with drawing
For the manufacture of durable brooder, you can make a metal frame of equal-angle angle with dimensions of 25x25x4 mm, welded to each other. The floor is made of frames and grids with a cell size of 10x10 mm. The mesh can be fastened between the frames with a screw connection. Pallet cut and bend stainless steel sheet. The walls should be cut from moisture-resistant plywood of 10 mm and sheathed the framework with metal screws. IR lamps are mounted on the top wall, the thermostat - on the front. In the front wall you need to cut a viewing window made of polycarbonate. Feeders and drinkers are placed inside the cage or hung on the side walls.
Modern poultry is impossible without the availability of modern equipment, which include brooders. The price of the finished design, as a rule, is quite high, so you can spend a couple of days off and build a wonderful brooder yourself, spending a minimum of time and money.