The soil, water is replete with parasites. Even if the cat does not leave the house, the eggs of the worms are ingested from raw meat or fish. The source of infection can be - dirty shoes, a rug at the door, soil from pots. Once inside, the larvae begin to actively proliferate, migrate with blood, stick to the intestines, organs. Worms are able to provoke a rupture of the intestinal walls, weaken the immune system. When the first symptoms appear, it is important to de-worming. How to give the cat pills for worms and how often to conduct courses of treatment - our recommendations will help.
The subjective symptoms of invasion vary according to the type of parasite. At cats live flukes, cestodes and roundworms. In adults, signs are not immediately apparent. In kittens, discomfort is noticeable after 10-12 days. Appear:
- diarrhea or constipation
- pus in the eyes,
- itching anus,
- a sharp foul smell from the mouth,
- bloated belly
- with a good appetite, weight is lost,
- wool falls out.
The presence of symptoms depends on the number of parasites in the body. Sometimes they are completely absent. Phenomena are also inherent in other diseases, therefore, to rule out other pathologies, it is necessary to pass tests. Container with contents is taken to the laboratory within 12 hours after stool collection.
How to give medicine
De-worming cats has its own characteristics. Pharmacological agents with different mechanisms of action are sold for them:
- paralyzing nervous and muscular systems
- deforming shells of worms (cuticle),
- violating metabolic processes.
It is forbidden to give analogues intended for humans. Popular methods are also irrelevant.
When to give pills from parasites to animals? Antihelminthic drugs are administered in the morning on an empty stomach strictly according to the instructions. To solve a problem, 1 reception is usually enough. If the cat vomits and fragments of worms come out with the masses, and worms are visible in the feces, then the course is repeated after 14 days.
If symptoms persist after repeated therapy, it is necessary to show the pet to a specialist. It is possible that the tool was chosen incorrectly or laboratory tests are needed. The true cause of the pathological condition will be determined only by a veterinarian. It is important to carry out the treatment in time, otherwise the animal may die.
Kittens are given the suspension immediately twice at intervals of 2 weeks, taking into account the "child" age. After the first dose only adults die. For 13 days, the "young growth" develops, which is destroyed by repeated taking of the pill. The selection takes into account the age and weight of the cat. Pets do antihelminthic therapy up to 4 times a year.
How to choose a drug for parasitic therapy
Wide-spectrum drugs that destroy all types of parasites are toxic, so they are used extremely rarely for kittens. Ideally, you should identify the type of parasite, then select the specific active substance. The release form of anthelmintic agents does not affect the result.
Important! When choosing a means you need to take into account that the formulas for adults and kittens are different. Suspensions are produced for the smallest - Caniquantel +, Pratel, Poliverkan sugar cubes and others.
Drugs and dosage
- Universal Drontal resolves from 3 weeks of age - 4 kg tablet,
- Febtal (from nemotodes) - pill daily for 3 days,
- Azinoks - 1 dose per 10 kg,
- Milbemaks - after 6 months (1 per 2 kg),
- Dirofen is available in standard form, in the form of a paste and suspension (1 to 5 kg),
- Niclosamide is indicated only with cestodes (1 per 2 kg),
- Drops "Profender" relevant from 1.5 years. Doses are indicated on the packaging,
- Prazitsid, Febtal, Trontsil K are appointed for absolutely small.
If soon after the techniques appeared: vomiting, cramps, heavy breathing, you will need the help of a veterinarian. Sometimes there are complications caused by:
- exceeding the dose
If you follow the instructions negative consequences can be avoided. Before giving a medicine, in advanced cases it is better to prick a gamavit that has a detoxifying effect on the body. This reanimates the affected organs and stabilizes the general condition. After 6 hours after taking the powder, the animal is given a sorbent - 0.5 tablespoons of Enterosgel, Polysorb or a tablet of activated carbon.
To accurately know the date of the worm infestation, get a calendar.
Important! You can not give drugs to a pregnant cat, an old animal with a chronic disease. If the cat needs to be vaccinated, helminthic invasion is carried out in a week.
How anthelmintic pet
Pets do not like to take medicine. The owners know how difficult it is to make them swallow a pill. Restive cats desperately resist. If the powder is literally crammed into the throat, the violence against the animal does not end well. After suffering stress, she will develop a protective reflex, and in the future the procedure will become even more complicated. Resistance is a normal reaction to a stimulus. Worse, if she swallows the powder immediately. Apathy is a sign that the disease is progressing and the animal has no strength left to fight.
Paradoxically, but the more years the cat, the harder it is to make the medicine swallow. Although the kitten's mouth is smaller, it is easier for him to open his jaws and drop the suspension. At the same time, the crumb does not particularly oppose. If you accustom him "from an early age" to the procedure, in the future the process will be much simpler.
The kitten is clamped between the knees, the mouth is opened with the left brush, the syrup is poured in with the right. Together with the saliva, he immediately swallows. But how to treat him with a pill that was prescribed by a veterinarian? Choose one of the methods suggested below. The tablet is preliminarily broken up into several parts, and in parts is thrust under the root of the tongue. It is possible that the kitten will intuitively choose a humane way and get a dose with food. Half an hour after reception, breakfast is offered.
You can do with a regular syringe. First you need to grind the product, draw in the liquid without the help of a needle, point the face up with your hands, pour in the cheek. However, the method has several disadvantages.
- Suspension is desirable to introduce drip, so that a strong jet does not provoke abundant salivation. Otherwise, the cat gets scared and everything spits out.
- In order to slowly drip, it takes a long time to fix the face. In this position, he did not sit long. Unlike adult cats, kittens tolerate the procedure calmly.
- It is possible that ½ part of the medicine will either remain in the syringe, or it will not reach its intended purpose. In a small dose, the drug is ineffective.
Pet seated on a hard surface face off. With the left hand in a glove they throw back their heads, press on the maxillary vault. Throw medicine in the open mouth, blow in the nose to cause an involuntary swallowing reflex.
The method of tight swaddling is used not only for babies. Kota zamatyvayut in a towel, leaving only the head. Then they put him on his knees, spread his teeth with his gloved hand, throw the dose. To open the mouth, insert a finger cushion between the teeth and press on the lower jaw. At this time, the other hand holds withers. The mouth is closed, stroking the throat. Touching will cause muscle contraction and it will swallow the pill. The aggressive way to unnerve the animal. In response to violence, the pet will scratch or bite, leaving a puddle.
The cat will not be offended if you repeat the process in a playful way. She is put on her knees up, playing, stroking her belly. Left hand quickly unclenches the jaw, stuffing the pill over the cheek or under the root of the tongue. If it is pre-lubricated with butter or sour cream, it will quickly slip into the stomach. When the animal licked - this is a sign that the dose has been administered. This is important, as an intelligent cat can hold it in its mouth and spit it out after it feels free.
If to mix the crushed powder with paste or sour cream, to dip a pad in a mix, the neat animal itself will lick composition. Not forbidden to put on the tip of the nose.
As an option - mix the powder with canned food and treat with a ball, or buy "Tasty sticks", separate a couple of pieces and stuff them with medicine. For this purpose, manufacturers produce pills with the taste of meat and fish. The owner can mix in food or treat separately. Swallow the animal with obvious pleasure and ask for supplements.
With anthelmintic drops - Stronghold, Prefender easier. The liquid is only rubbed between the shoulder blades. However, they are more effective for prevention.
Tip! If there is a strong smell from the medicine, it must be kept in the fridge overnight. Under the influence of cold, odor and bitterness are partially neutralized.
Each owner has his own method to feed the medicine. The main rule - do not forget to praise the animal and offer a favorite delicacy. Encouragement partially relieve stress and form a positive reflex. After therapy, it is necessary to ensure that the animal leaves in the tray excrement. If this does not happen, give a laxative syrup - Lactusan, Duphalac 5 mg.
Bringing parasites is much more difficult than preventing infection. Therefore:
- The toilet tray is disinfected every other day,
- Meat and fish without heat treatment is not treated,
- Street shoes are kept in the cabinet,
- The rug near the front door is washed once a week or more often.
- If several animals live in the house, they carry out joint processing.
In order not to injure the psyche itself and the cat, it is better to take him to the hospital. The veterinarian will demonstrate how to give medicine to the animal.
Cat after worms pills: what could be the reaction and consequences
- When to feed a cat after worms pills
- What if after a pill from worms the cat does not eat
- Kotu bad after worms pills
- Cat after worms pills burp
In veterinary pharmacies are always available a variety of anthelmintics for kittens and cats. There are a great many pills, capsules, suspensions for the treatment of parasites, but they all have different side effects and affect the cat's body in different ways. In this article we will look at what could be with the cat after the worms pills.
When to feed a cat after worms pills
There is no exact answer. It all depends on the type of medication used. However, on average, it is not recommended to feed the cat for 2 hours after taking the drug.
In particular, during the treatment of worms in cats, it is important to feed them with high-calorie food. Worms that live in the intestines take away the necessary nutrients from a cat.
In order for the animal to receive the necessary nutrients during the treatment of worms, it is necessary to feed the cat with food that is enriched with protein and fat. It is important to eat meat products and / or eggs, and in the diet of cats, this cat food should occupy about 60% of the total diet. To increase the amount of fat in the diet, you can add a little olive oil to the feed.
Also, during treatment, you can temporarily put the cat on a diet for kittens, which is much more high-calorie than a diet for adult animals. Only here it should be borne in mind that if the cat adversely perceived changes in the diet or she once had pancreatitis, it is better not to change the diet.
What if after a pill from worms the cat does not eat
eastern dentsman lanceolate flukes hepatic fluke Siberian fluke pinworms ascaris head lice Giardia Siberian fluke cat fluke blood flukes bull and pork tapeworm
If a cat doesn’t eat anything after being bullied by parasites, this is a cause for concern. Most likely, you incorrectly calculated the dosage of the drug and the animal was poisoned. In such cases, it is necessary to restore the intestinal flora. In the pet store you need to ask what. Bifidum lactobacterin. Often for these purposes they use Lactobacterin or Bifidumbacterin.
After 10 days it is necessary to repeat anthelmintic again. Parasites can be in the lungs and in the liver.
Kotu bad after worms pills
If after using the medication the cat became ill:
- The animal does not walk well
- Poor coordination of movements
- Severe vomiting
- Weakness and sleepiness
In such cases, an urgent need to contact the veterinarian, as it is possible overdose and anthelmintic drug.
Cat after worms pills burp
If a cat is vomited after taking pills from worms and there is no deterioration in the animal's health, then you should not worry. This is a normal reaction. In such cases, it is better to try to give the cat a medicine in the form of a suspension.
Also, parasites can come out with vomiting.
- Clears parasites for 1 course,
- Due to tannins, it heals and protects the liver, heart, lungs, stomach, skin from parasites,
- Eliminates rotting in the intestines, neutralizes parasite eggs due to mollecule F.
Certified, recommended by helminthologists means to get rid of parasites at home. It has a pleasant taste that will appeal to children. Consists exclusively of medicinal plants collected in environmentally friendly places.
👉 Opinion of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation on the drug
Effective antihelminthic drugs for cats
Every loving owner seeks to take care of their pets. And first of all you need to pay attention to the health of pets. Many cats walk outside on their own, where they can pick up infections. The most common disease in animals is worms. Therefore, every caring owner must correctly pick up effective pills from worms for cats.
Worms are also dangerous in that they can be transmitted from cats to people, including small children, because babies love to play with kittens.
Symptoms of infection with worms
Depending on the degree of infection, one or other signs appear. If there are few parasitic cats in the body, then there may be no symptoms of infection.
The main signs of infection are as follows:
- diarrhea or constipation
- vomiting, and worms or blood must be present in the vomit,
- the presence of worms in feces,
- weight reduction
- the presence of blood or mucus in the stool,
- giving birth to cats ahead of time
- difficulty breathing
- the kitten is lagging behind development.
Symptoms of helminthiasis resemble symptoms of infection with infectious diseases. But if an animal has an infectious disease, then giving it a remedy for worms is very dangerous. It is advisable to consult with a veterinarian, and then make a decision. The veterinarian will take a stool test and then prescribe a treatment.
How to choose remedies for worms?
Helminthiasis is caused by various types of worms: trematodes (flat), cestodes (tape), nematodes (round). On this basis, and drugs for worms may be different (depending on the type of parasite).
In addition, the drug for worms in its composition may contain one or more active ingredients.
Some drugs lead to paralysis of parasites, others disrupt the metabolic processes of worms, and still others act on their nervous system.
In addition to tablets, you can apply drops on the withers from worms for cats or special suspensions.
When choosing a particular remedy, consider the physiological features and age of your pet.
Based on the foregoing, a veterinarian should select medications for worms for kittens and cats. The doctor also sets the dosage of the drug. But the means of traditional medicine (celandine, etc.) is better not to use.
How is anthelmintic therapy performed?
The dose of the drug is selected based on the weight of the pet.
To date, funds from worms are presented in various forms:
- drops from worms for cats,
- suspension from worms for cats.
Before giving a remedy to an animal, one must take into account certain features of the treatment with this drug:
- pet must be healthy
- fleas should not be present
- It is recommended to give the medicine to the cat at the weekend to control the reaction of the animal,
- The instructions for use should be strictly followed.
- 4 hours after taking the drug, give the animal activated charcoal,
- if the cat is constipated, give it petrolatum or a laxative,
- after 14 days you can re-process.
But it is best to consult with a veterinarian who will select the drug and determine the necessary dosage.
How to give a pill to a cat?
To give a cat anthelmintics, it is recommended to follow one of the following methods.
With delicious food. If you give the cat her favorite food in which to pre-crush the medicine, she will not notice the smell of the drug.
In ground form. Using tolkushku, crush into powder remedy for worms. Then mix the powder with sour cream and offer your pet. No animal will refuse tasty sour cream.
With a syringe. With a small amount of water will need to mix the drug against worms. Then collect the resulting solution in a syringe and pour it into the cat's mouth.
Many animals, especially those with whom the above manipulations have previously performed, have a premonition of your intentions, therefore they begin to behave aggressively. Тогда таблетку можно заменить на несколько капель на холку. К примеру, хорошо себя зарекомендовал Стронгхолд от глистов для кошек. В этих каплях содержится селамектин, хорошо всасывающийся в органы и ткани.
You can ask your veterinarian what effective remedy in the form of drops will be suitable for your pet.
How to conduct anthelmintic therapy kittens?
The following signs indicate that the kittens have worms:
- exhaustion, underweight,
- weakness, inactivity,
- molting, dull fur,
- problems with appetite
- nausea and vomiting,
- loose stools, digestive problems,
- the presence of worms in feces.
Kittens can be given anti-worms no earlier than 3 weeks after birth. Most often, the worms baby gets infected from his mother.
Giving stronger drugs can be no earlier than 6 weeks of life of a pet.
Can I give pills for worms to a pregnant cat?
During pregnancy, the animal may appear traces of invasion by worms:
- poor appetite
- whole worms or their fragments in fecal masses,
- fur, risen "on end".
If a sick cat behaves well, is vigorous and eats well, then it is not necessary to give any antihelmintic drugs. Pills for worms in cats can cause miscarriage or negatively affect future offspring. Kittens with developmental disabilities may be born.
If a pregnant animal has an abundant invasion, then it cannot do without therapy. Toxins secreted by worms can harm not only the cat, but also its future kittens.
In the first half of pregnancy, worms are not eliminated, because it is during this period that the prenatal formation of all the organs of the kittens occurs. But 2 weeks before the expected birth, medication must be given. It can be antihelminthic suspensions with a more gentle action.
In addition, it is desirable to conduct anthelmintic treatment of the animal 14 days before the date of the planned mating.
What to do in case of poisoning with medicines?
Most often, modern worms tablets do not have pronounced side effects. Intoxication occurs mainly for other reasons:
- when the worms decay, harmful toxins are released into the body,
- gave the cat an erroneous dosage, overestimated several times.
If, after giving the animal suspensions or tablets from worms, it becomes inactive, apathetic, sluggish, diarrhea or vomiting begins, then you should immediately contact the veterinary service. Only shots or drops can relieve intoxication.
In addition, at home you can make a lavage of the intestine and stomach. Since there is a possibility of occlusion of the lumen with helminths or possible blotting of intestines, after washing it is necessary to give sorbents to the animal.
It is much easier to prevent the disease than to try to cure it. To avoid worm infestation in a cat, you must adhere to the following simple rules:
- As a preventive measure, give drugs for worms, treat the animal from ticks and fleas at least once every 3 months.
- Kotu raw do not give meat or fish. Water, before giving the animal, to defend or boil.
- Do not allow your pet to contact stray animals that live on the street.
- Regularly carry out wet cleaning in an apartment or house.
- From worms you need to process not only the animal itself, but also the cat's place, pet care items.
Worms that infect your pet can be dangerous to humans, especially children. If the cat is attacked by parasites, it is also necessary for your family members to take antihelminthic drugs.
Injections and prevention of worms can only be done by healthy animals. In no case should cats be given medicines intended for humans.
Symptoms of worms in cats
- The main feature characterizing the presence of worms are the larvae. You can replace them in fecal masses or vomiting of an animal. At the slightest signs of parasites, proceed to deworming, do not tighten with the procedure.
- To recognize the worms, observe the general condition of the cat. If she refuses to eat and drink water or, on the contrary, is very thirsty and overeat, there are parasites in the body.
- In small kittens signs of worms is quite difficult to identify. Feel your pet's belly, if it is bloated and hard, take your pet to the vet. The doctor will select the drug based on body weight and age.
- Cats do not always feel bad with excessive worms. However, changes in habitual behavior still exist. If a cat hides in a dark corner, sleeps a lot and does not play, it has worms.
- In no case can not be left without parasites. In severe cases, worms cause fever, severe apathy, coughing, diarrhea, vomiting of helminth lumps.
How to give a cat a pill
The essence of the procedure is not to cause any moral or physical harm to the animal. Experienced breeders brought out several effective ways to carry out the procedure. If you still have a fear of de-worming yourself, consult your veterinarian.
Method number 1. Mix the pill with the meat
The task does not change, try to mix the drug so that the pet does not feel it. Many housewives prefer to mix cutlet or sausage with anthelmintic agent, use this option.
Method number 2. Invoke the swallow reflex
We are talking about the root of the language of the animal. As a result of the pill's impact on this area, the pet reflexively swallows the drug. To properly carry out the procedure, take your pet in your hands and fix its body well. Open your pet's mouth, then place the medicine on the root of the tongue.
At the end of the procedure, gently squeeze the mouth and wait for some time so that the animal has a swallowing reflex. It is easiest to carry out manipulations, if you preliminarily break the anthelmintic drug into 2-4 parts, and then feed them alternately to the cat.
Method number 3. Examine the list of "cunning" products
There are a number of specific products that overshadow the bitter taste of the drug. Use chicken / beef liver pate, melted cheese, butter. Mash the tablet into a crumb with two tablespoons, mix with one of the listed compositions.
Place the medicine in the pet's mouth and call the swallowing reflex (the technique is described in method number 2). It will seem to the animal that you have given him a treat; therefore, there should be no resistance. However, there are certain breeds that have elevated levels of smell.
Method number 4. Impact on the nasal sinuses
The swallowing reflex is associated with both the tongue and the nasopharynx. Putting the tablet in the mouth of a pet, close it and gently blow in the nose. As a result of such manipulations, the cat will swallow the anthelmintic drug by inertia.
To make the procedure more effective, you can grind the tablet into powder and dilute it with a small amount of water. After that, pour the medicine on the root of the tongue, close the pet's mouth and scratch its neck (throat). Your actions will provoke swallowing.
Method number 5. Add a pill to sour cream
You can achieve a "peaceful" solution to the problem of taking the medicine. Crush the tablet to a powder and mix it with sour cream of high fat content (preferably homemade, fat content of 25%).
After that, smear the pet's paw or the tip of the nose. Carry out such manipulations in order to provoke the pet to start washing. He lick the medication without noticing the trick. Similarly, used butter or other dairy products.
Method number 6. Feed the medicine by force
It is not uncommon for a cat to refuse to swallow a pill. If the above methods have proved ineffective, proceed to operation "X". Prepare a blanket or blanket, wind the pet completely. The cat should stick only the head, so you eliminate scratches and kicking.
Most often, veterinarians use this method when they want to vaccinate obstinate cats. Fix the paws of the animal so that he could not escape, then put a pill in his mouth. You can grind the drug into powder and mix with sausage, butter and other tasty products. Also, the drug is allowed to feed in the initial state.
- Prevention of worms must be done in any case, even those animals who constantly live in the house, not going out into the fresh air. If you do not contain one pet, then this procedure should be done for all animals.
- Try to get the anthelmintic drug in the form of a suspension. It is mandatory to buy medicine, taking into account the age of the pet and its situation (for kittens, neutered cats, pregnant cats, etc.).
- It is important to remember forever that it is necessary to anthelmintic animals 1 time in half a year, observing 2 stages. The first procedure is carried out with the use of a full dose, the second 10 days after the first (if the parasites are not completely excreted). Further manipulations are carried out in turn 6 months.
- The dose of the medication is calculated based on the weight of the pet, read the instructions before use. Depending on the manufacturer, the volume varies. In no case should not exceed the specified rate.
- No matter how strange it may sound, but the older the animal, the harder it is to get him to take the medicine. Try to teach cats to de-worming from an early age. In the future, you will not be difficult to give your pet medicines.
- It is important to understand that the cat’s negative reaction to medication is absolutely normal. Try to replace the tablets with drops or an injection. Be sure to ask the vet about which medicine is being released in a liquid state. In this case, you will facilitate your task. The injection in the prevention of worms is also effective, but this method is used very rarely.
- Plant a cat between your knees back to yourself, or just on the table.
- Place one hand on the lower jaw of the animal, and place the other on top of the cat on the head.
- With the thumb and forefinger of your upper hand, wrap her upper lip up with her in order to position both of these fingers behind the fangs.
- Grabbing the upper jaw, you need to pull your head back a little so that your mouth is pointing up.
- At the same time, pull the lower jaw with your other hand. Usually this is done with the middle finger, holding the tablet with the index and thumb.
- The tablet quickly rolls as far as possible into the throat. If you could not place it deeply, then immediately push it a little to the throat with your finger.
- Clasp the lower jaw and head with both hands. The cat will not be able to spit out the pill and she will have to swallow it. To help the process you need to rub her neck, nose or blow on it.
- After that, you need to pour into the mouth a little pure water from a five-gram syringe without a needle. Even if you see that the pill is swallowed - the animal needs water as the tablet is dry and can stick to the esophagus, causing irritation. And the water will wash it away and help advance the esophagus.
Aggressive or scared cat
Although even very medicinal muscle relaxants (muscle relaxants) are used for very aggressive cats, it is difficult without the help of a specialist, and it is not very appropriate in this case.
Apply different methods of fixation of the animal, you need as carefully as possible, with the least harm to him. This is especially true for small kittens. Therefore, in order not to injure an animal by fruitless attempts to help it, you need to learn how to fix it clearly and quickly.
If you cannot fix the jaws of the animal with your hands for taking the medicine, do the following.
Method number 1. Wrap the cat in the cloth
The fabric should not be too thin; a towel, a blanket, a bag or some part of the wardrobe is best suited. During enveloping the front paws of the animal must press against the body, otherwise there is little that will work out.
The easiest way to give a pill with a partner. This will help not to wind the cat very tightly, since one of the participants will be able to hold it with both hands, which will not allow the fabric to unwind.
Method number 2. With rubber hoses or plastic tubing
If the cat has gotten very aggressive and is able to bite hard on the finger, then you can make a little tricky device. To do this, you need a small piece of thin rubber hose or a flexible plastic tube, as well as a strong thread, and better tape.
- Take a piece of rubber hose 10 - 15 cm long and pass through it the tape (50-70 cm). Then open and open the cat's jaws, insert a piece of hose across the mouth to the molars. Tie the ends of the ribbon on the cat's nape or collar.
- After that, you can lay a prepared pill in the cat's mouth (on the root of the tongue). At the end, before removing the hoses, pour 5-10 ml of water from the syringe (without a needle!) For better swallowing.
At first, these methods may seem rude or tough to you. And you want to regret your pet. Many try to disguise a pill in minced meat or in another food adored by a cat. But very often such attempts fail. The fact is that cats have a very delicate scent. They easily take in the familiar taste of food and give up such food. And in a sick animal, there is no appetite at all, and then there is still a favorite delicacy with a strange taste and smell.
It should also be noted that many pills are produced in a protective shell so that they do not dissolve in the stomach ahead of time, but get into the intestine, where they will show their effect. And the crushed pill doesn’t get to the intestines as a whole, where it could absorb and have a destructive effect directly on the helminths.
Capsules and lozenges
It is much easier for cats to swallow drugs in the form of gelatin capsules. The gelatin shell in the cat's mouth becomes wet and slippery, so it is easily swallowed.
When you need to put a lozenge under the tongue (in the recipe it can be written “for sublingual use”), then it should be ground into a powder and gently rub it into the gums of the animal.
How to give medicine in powder form
If the cat is calm and gives a good hand, then you can pour the powder on a piece of paper, bend it with a straw and put it in the mouth of the animal, pour it right on the root of the tongue. But if the cat does not swallow the medicine, then it is better to dissolve the powder in water and feed it from a syringe.
To do this, take the medicinal powder, dilute it in 10 ml of water and collect in a disposable syringe. Then the syringe is inserted from the side between the jaws (behind the cat's predatory teeth) and medicine is injected. You need to hold the cat a little hand over the withers, so that the medicine does not spill out of the mouth. Stroke her throat from top to bottom until she swallows.
It should be noted that in powders most often produce vitamins or premixes (supplements). Rarely be found in this form antihelminthic medication. Therefore, if you could not pour all the liquid into the cat, then it is not scary.
When should I give medicine?
Anthelmintic drugs are given to cats in three main cases:
- as prevention (once in 6 months),
- with obvious signs of illness (helminthiasis),
- before vaccinations.
Of course, it is best to give the cat prophylactic doses of medication throughout its life, without waiting for the symptoms of the disease. So that the child could always play with the cat, even taking her to bed, it is worth giving her antihelminthic medication for prophylactic purposes more often than once every six months. Then you can be calm.
But if you have not previously done your animal prophylaxis, then it can get sick. If there are already signs, it is better to turn to a specialist. In order not to lose time, heading to the veterinarian, take your animal's feces for analysis. In any jar (clean and dry), place a piece of feces. Within 8-12 hours you need to deliver the analysis to the laboratory. Before that, you can store in the refrigerator. The fact is that only this way you can definitely give the drug from the right types of worms.
How to give a cat a tablet of worms
Learn how to give your cat a tablet of worms, why and when it needs to be done. Consider all possible techniques. We will also understand how to minimize the possible damage to yourself, because an animal will most likely perceive you as a torturer, if you do not do it by the rules. De-worming is a useful thing, but not an easy one. Therefore, do not give up if from the first attempt the attempt was unsuccessful. Repeat the procedure or try another technique.
Symptoms of helminthic invasions
Worms can significantly complicate the life of a cat. Because of them:
- the immune system suffers,
- the metabolism is broken,
- allergic predisposition increases.
Parasites in the literal sense of the word can damage the internal organs, literally eating the moves inside the infected pet. Therefore, at the first signs of the appearance of worms, it is necessary to immediately begin their total destruction. The main symptoms of infection pet:
- pale and / or yellowed mucous membranes,
- wet eyes, less cough,
- loose stools sometimes with blood, mucous impurities,
- dry and dull fur,
- general apathy.
If the worms in the body accumulated too much, the symptoms become more pronounced. The worms come out with a chair, and the cat periodically rubs back on the floor.
Уже при одном только подозрении на гельминты вы должны задуматься о том, что можно дать коту от глистов и везти животное на прием в лечебницу.
Какие лекарства давать коту от глистов? Эффективные таблетки на рынке присутствуют в значительном ассортименте. Рассмотрим линейку продуктов, пользующихся наибольшим спросом:
- «Дирофен» — универсальный препарат,
- "Cannavtel Plus" - a universal remedy,
- "Drontal" - effective against round and tapeworms,
- "Prazitel" - destroys nematodoses, cestodoses, mixed invasions,
- "Polyvercan" - fights nematodes and cestodes at any stage of their development.
Tablets for worms for cats: how to give medicine, remedy, drops on withers, drugs and reviews
Cats have become part of human life since ancient times. They live in our houses, we meet on the street, at the entrances, anywhere. Few will remain indifferent to these furry animals. Children especially love to stroke, feed the pussy, often forgetting to wash their hands afterwards, without attaching particular importance to the consequences of such communication with a street animal.
- Symptoms of helminthic invasion in cats
- What are helminthiasis in cats?
- How to de-worming cats
- How, and what medicines to give cats?
Meanwhile, cats can often be infected with various worms, some of which are dangerous to humans. Stray animals have much more chances to get sick, environmental worms are everywhere in the environment, the kitten gets worms from the mother during childbirth or during the first feeding, and some newborns die from massive invasion by worms.
Symptoms of helminthic invasion in cats
Helminthiasis causes great damage to the animal's body, they reduce immunity, disrupt the metabolism, increase allergic mood, cause mechanical damage to organs with the development of inflammation and even intestinal or gall bladder ruptures. The clinic is especially pronounced in kittens, adult animals have more hidden symptoms. The main signs of helminthic invasion:
- lack of weight gain, even weight loss with preserved appetite, sometimes appetite can be reduced or perverted,
- lethargy, failure to play,
- dull, dry wool without luster, prone to loss, if you take the kitten by the withers, then in the hands there will be wool,
- pallor or yellowness of mucous membranes,
- kitty crawls booty on the floor due to severe itching,
- frequent diarrhea, can be mixed with mucus and blood,
- in the feces are visible larvae or whole worms,
- constantly "flowing eyes", sometimes coughing.
When one or more of these symptoms are found in a pet, it must be shown to the veterinarian, who will conduct the necessary examination to clarify the diagnosis, prescribe treatment using those drugs that are suitable for your animal (tablets, drops on withers or suspensions), teach you how to give cat medicine.
What are helminthiasis in cats?
Revealed more than 30 species of parasites that are common to cats and people. Cats are susceptible to nematodes, cestodes and trematodoses, especially the first two species are common. Nematodoses (infection with roundworms) include:
- Toxascaris - pathogen are parasites about 3 cm long, live in the intestine, sometimes in the gallbladder and liver. Infection of a kitten comes from the mother during childbirth or through the digestive system, with a massive invasion, the cat loses weight with normal appetite, there may be vomiting, diarrhea with blood. Adult cats are often asymptomatic, and newborn kittens may die due to intestinal obstruction. Treatment is carried out by pyrantel, fembendazole,
- Ankilostomiasis - a small parasite in the form of a hook, enters the body either with food, or the larvae enter the bloodstream through the skin, adult individuals live in the intestines, feed on blood, causing anemia in the animal. Cats eat poorly, lose weight, are worried about coughing, vomiting and stools with blood, should be treated with the same medications (see above),
- Dirofilariasis - a roundworm that affects the circulatory system and the heart of an animal, is transmitted when mosquitoes, fleas and other insects bite, is very hard, and can lead to death due to thrombosis. Effectively treatment "Selamectin" (drops on withers).
The next type of worms is cestodosis (diseases caused by tapeworms):
- Diphyllobothriasis is a long worm up to one and a half meters in cats, infection occurs when eating raw freshwater fish from the carp family. Parasites live in the small intestine, damaging the mucous layer, can cause obstruction. The cat does not eat well, the wool grows dull, even falls out, often vomiting and diarrhea with blood, with prolonged infection anemia, dystrophy, blockage of intestines, convulsions develop. Treatment is carried out - "Praziquantel", "Fenasalom", "Fenalidonom",
- Dipilidiosis (cat's tapeworm) - a worm in the form of a seed of a cucumber, up to 30 cm long, the cat becomes infected when a flea or eater, who is the intermediate host of the parasite, is swallowed from its fur. The chain settles in the intestine, causing mechanical damage to the mucous layer. The cat loses its appetite and weight, becomes lethargic, apathetic, often diarrhea, vomiting. Preparations for the treatment - Praziquantel, Skoloban, Fenasal,
- Teniidozy (in cats more often alveococcosis) - small worms 1-2 mm, cats become infected when they eat intermediate hosts with parasite larvae (mice, rats). Alveococci live in the small intestine, almost without causing a clinic in an animal, and for humans it is an extremely dangerous disease, occurring with damage to various organs, where cysts with parasites are formed inside. Diagnosis of the disease is carried out on stool tests. The treatment is carried out with the preparations “Fenasal”, “Tsetoveks”, “Filixan”.
Of trematodozov most common helminthiasis is opisthorchosis - the causative agent of cat fluke or hepatic flukes. Infection occurs when eating raw fish. Parasites live in the liver, clinging to it with suckers, damage the tissue, can live in the biliary system and pancreas.
The characteristic signs of the disease are:
- abdominal pain,
- vomiting with bile contents
- the appetite is sometimes perverted (reduced or increased), the cat can greedily swallow food that is not typical for it, the mucous membranes become jaundiced.
If you suspect that the cat has worms, the treatment should be carried out as quickly as possible, without delaying the visit to the vet for a long time, because the appearance of clinical symptoms suggests that there are already a lot of parasites in the pet. Remedies for cat worms are fairly well represented in pharmacies for animals, they should not be confused with medicines for humans.
How to de-worming cats
First of all, it is necessary to remove fleas and other external parasites that are the carriers of worms.
For this there are:
- special shampoos with insecticidal action, they are best suited for cats who like to swim. Advantages - well washed with water, animals will not be poisoned,
- Special purpose collars soaked with insecticide are suitable for two or three weeks. Disadvantage - allergic skin irritation, ideal for cats walking on the street,
- drops from parasites, which are applied to the withers of the pet (the most famous "Leopard"), fleas are poisoned and leave the body. This kind of treatment is convenient and low toxic for an animal, if there is no allergy, a new, slightly toxic preparation of the combined action “In-Up Complex”, effective for fleas, ticks, cestodoses and nematodoses at the same time, is also available as drops to the withers, its protection period is up to 2 months
The de-worming of cats is carried out with the preventive and medical purpose with the help of various means, modern preparations usually have a combined composition, have low toxicity and are effective for all types of helminthiasis in domestic animals. For the first time, kittens are given a cure for parasites at the age of three weeks for the purpose of prevention, they are repeated again in a month.
To get rid of parasites, our readers successfully use Intoxic. Seeing the popularity of this tool, we decided to offer it to your attention.
Read more here ...
How, and what medicines to give cats?
Treat worms every three or six months, as advised by a veterinarian. We must not forget to give antihelmintic two weeks before vaccination. For babies, they produce drugs in the form of a suspension with a syringe dispenser, for example, prazitel, which contains pyrantel and praziquantel, are taken at the rate of 1 ml per kilogram of kitten weight. This drug has very good reviews from both veterinarians and pet owners.
In addition, kittens and adult cats can be given pills:
- Drontal - a tablet for four kg of weight that can be crushed,
- Febtal - one tablet per three kg of live weight,
- Cannavtel Plus - 1 tablet per ten kg of weight, as well as caniverm, milbemaks, etc.
All broad-spectrum drugs, it is recommended to give the cat medicine once on an empty stomach in the morning without using laxatives.
The tablet or part of it should be dissolved in water and using a syringe without a needle to enter into the mouth of the animal, it is important to make sure that you take a sip. You can give an adult cat the opportunity to swallow the medicine in a piece of fish or meat, with minced meat or porridge, that is, with your favorite food. It is very convenient to treat a pet with worms produced as drops on the withers. Usually they are complex actions from external and internal parasites immediately.
From domestic funds already mentioned "In-Up Complex". The imported medicine Stronghold has proven itself well, is safe and effective in cats of all breeds, helps to get rid of fleas, ticks, and roundworms, especially when dirofilariasis of cats.
The active ingredient is selamectin. Just one drop applied to the withers, which dries quickly, has no smell, you can bathe the animal in two hours. Absorption occurs through the skin into the circulatory system of the animal and is spread throughout the body, where the therapeutic concentration lasts up to a month.
Reviews of the drug are the most positive: it is convenient to treat the cat, do not think about how to give the drug, there are no side effects, application to the withers is painless for the animal, the effectiveness is high when combined with nematodosis with the presence of external parasites.
Proper treatment is not only to give the cat pills or drops on the withers, it is necessary to protect it from reinfection, not feed it with raw fish or meat, bathe in time and watch for fleas or ticks, keep the tray clean, do not leave dirty street shoes in affordable for animal location. If the pet in the house is not one, then the treatment should be carried out simultaneously with all animals, and people must wash their hands after talking with the pet.
How to give a cat a cure for worms - the main ways
There are many methods for performing this action, but not every method is good for a particular type of drug. Therefore, before taking any measures, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the instructions, and if you go to the vet, then consult him on this matter. Consider all possible techniques.
Quiet method for quiet cats
The procedure consists of the following steps:
- We turn the fluff back to us.
- We throw the cat's head over with the left hand (it is better to wear gloves).
- Squeeze the animal's jaw until it opens its mouth.
- Put a pill in your mouth, clench your jaws and motivate your pet to swallow the medicine by stroking the throat and blowing air into the nose.
This technique has to be used when anthelmintic nervous and aggressive creatures. The animal literally has to swaddle. Upon completion of the procedure, the cat remains at large one head. But keep in mind that a disturbed animal sometimes is not necessary anymore to injure the owner, so be careful. In fact, the method differs from the previous method only in swaddling. Next, the procedure is repeated. Kotu must open his mouth, shove a pill, motivate him to swallow. Remember, this method is not only cruel, but it can have consequences. Upon completion of the procedure, the animal can take up arms against you, able to bite or leave a puddle of harm. Therefore, if you do not know how to properly give the cat a tablet from worms, using the method of fixation, it is better not to risk it. Ahead of your choice are still enough ways that may be what you need.
Method with a syringe
A syringe for the manipulation can be purchased at a specialty store, but you can also get along with a regular syringe bought at a pharmacy. The steps of the technique are as follows:
- Crumble the tablet until smooth.
- Mix the prepared drug with water.
- We refill the syringe and pour in (without a needle) to the pet the resulting suspension in the mouth.
It is not necessary to pour out all at once, as this can cause fright in the animal and in the end it will spit it out. But this has its minus. Not every animal for quite a long time will lie carelessly with its mouth open, taking medicine.
What could be simpler than to deceive a simple-minded animal by disguising a pill from worms in a piece of some delicacy. As an option, the pill can be crushed and given with sour cream or butter, in general, so that the cat likes.
If the pet reluctantly licks the treat, it can be motivated. To do this, you need to coat the animal's nose with sour cream. Almost all cats lick what gets on their noses. Well, the whole pill with food is already easier to put in your mouth in the first, relaxing method. Ustap will feel the taste of food and become more loyal to an unusual feeding method. But how to give the cat a pill for worms, if it recognizes all your tricks and refuses even your favorite food? For such cases, a special delicacy has been developed with an integrated container for tablets. The peculiarity of this product is that it contains flavorings that make the cat want to eat it immediately. Also, the additive neutralizes the smell of the medicine, which in some cases is also relevant.
If nothing helped
Even if you didn’t like all the above actions or your pet was so stubborn - don’t be disheartened. After all, there are still many variations that solve the problem.
First of all, find out if your chosen drug is in another dosage form, for example, suspensions or drops.
Also consider the option of using the injection if this is again acceptable.
Another tip - pull yourself together. You no longer just know how best to give your cat a tablet from worms, but have experienced everything on yourself. So think, maybe it makes sense to start all over again, using the acquired skills. Most likely, everything will turn out.
Most often, the principle is the same here - they give the cat a remedy for worms, because it acts on it. If you comply with the regulations and buy drugs in specialized stores, the risk is minimal. Cats and cats are different too. Perhaps your pet anthrax a little stinging due to the individual characteristics of the organism, but most likely not.
If we talk about manifestations, then these are standard signs of food poisoning:
Less commonly - foam from the mouth, dermatitis, often allergies.
- In what form is it better to give cats a cure for worms?
The effectiveness of the anthelmintic drug depends on the composition, and not the form of release.
- Can I get worms for pregnant cats?
Suppressing the pussy in position is allowed, but with caution. There are drugs designed for pregnant women, which one to choose for your pet, it’s best to check with a veterinarian.
- How often do cats give worms pills?
In order to prevent possible infection - 1 time in 3 months. If necessary, treatment - immediately. Moreover, in this case, after deworming, the procedure should be repeated after 2 weeks.
- How do worms come out of a cat after pills?
After the drug begins to act, the parasites die and go out naturally, with feces. Sometimes, if the worms are too much, with vomiting caused by the need to cleanse the body of the remnants of worms. This is considered the norm, and there is no reason for excitement.
An experienced breeder does not scare with deworming. These are professionals in their field. But you have already received a baggage of knowledge sufficient to help your Murka to get rid of unwanted neighbors without anyone’s help. In addition, over time, the cat will become accustomed to the procedure, and the process will be more and more calm every time.
Any questions? You can ask them to staff the vet of our site in the comments box below, which will respond to them as soon as possible.