Breeding ornamental fish is not easy, but exciting. And when tiny fry appeared, the task of their proper feeding comes to the fore: the further development of the young and the condition of the adult fish depend on it. If the progeny of large species can immediately be given specialized food, it is unlikely that small, newly born guppies are suitable. What is to feed the fry in the first days and weeks of their existence?
How important is proper nutrition of fry?
Guppies are viviparous fishes. Almost immediately after spawning, the female tiny cubs try to swim in search of any food. Experienced aquarists know that the most crucial moment after the appearance of young guppies is the first 3–7 days.
It is worth a little to delay the feeding process or lead it wrong, and the appearance of healthy and beautiful individuals can hardly be expected.
It is said that after spawning the female does not eat cubs. However, such cases are quite common, since the size of the fry in the first hours and days of their life does not exceed 3-4 mm. That is why experts recommend still postponing the female immediately after the end of childbirth.
And here the problem of optimal feeding of young fish comes to the fore.
Feed the fry often and quite a lot. Some aquarists for several days do not turn off the lights in the aquarium, where the young are, and organize dosed feeding every 3-4 hours.
There are two main approaches to the choice of food.
- Some guppy owners successfully grow their pets using natural food (protein and vegetable).
- But there are supporters of branded starter feed.
It is difficult to state unequivocally which way is better, but it is important that the nutrition is balanced. Without overfeeding, of course.
Starter feed for juveniles can be quite easily purchased from the sales network. Perhaps, the most widely in demand are solutions and dry mixes of the German company Tetra.
Tetra biomin, for example, well established itself. The product in its consistency is a dense paste. The composition of this paste is designed to meet the "requests" of fry of small viviparous fish:
- fish liver
- beef liver (powdered, naturally),
- egg yolk,
- mosquito larvae,
- sprouted wheat flour and other ingredients.
The paste is contained in a tube, the neck of which is lowered into the water. One easy pressing - and the dose of feed is in the aquarium water, easily separated from the tube. The paste gradually dissolves in water, becoming suitable for use.
Tetra mikromin - the most common brand food .. It contains all the necessary elements for the guppy and nutritional supplements. The crushed dry mixture looks like a powder; it is perfectly absorbed by fry with a size of up to 10 mm.
In general, the basic composition of specialized products Tetra include:
- vitamins A, D (to stimulate a bright color),
- T (growth vitamin),
- Calcium and other substances useful for young.
Jbl. JBL has developed a good balanced food for small guppies and other viviparous. In particular, the powdered composition of JBL NovoTom contains the proteins and mineral additives necessary for fish kids.
Sera. The distribution network also includes nutritional mixes specifically for fry from the German company Sera. Such mixtures are Sera micropan and Sera micron feeds. The latter product is well suited for feeding newly born fish from the first hours of their life, as it forms an algal film, rich in nutrient microorganisms. Fry can eat them at any time as needed.
Thus, there are a number of commercial food mixtures for starter nutrition.
A large number of aquarists believe that chopped live food should be the starting food for the fry. This has its reason, since such a diet is closest to natural conditions.
From the first days of life they give, as a rule, “living dust”, and after 5–7 days you can switch to feeding with rotifers, Artemia, small moths and Cyclops. It is also suitable and microerm.
Many owners of small ornamental fish are well mastered the technology of self-cooking a variety of foods for their decorative pets.
The most common such foods are egg yolk and milk.
Egg feed. Remove the yolk from the hard-boiled egg, rub it on a fine grater in a glass of water. The resulting mixture is thoroughly mixed to a uniform consistency. Then using an ordinary pipette, you can enter this solution into the aquarium.
Milk feed. Dry milk mixture is prepared as follows: a bowl of milk put on a pot of boiling water, where it is gradually evaporated. The resulting powder is collected and given to fry.
Cooking live food. There is no problem and breeding at home a microworm, which the young enjoy to eat. Microworms are almost pure protein, which is perfectly absorbed by the body of small guppies.
To dilute this live protein, you need to thoroughly mix part of the cornmeal with water (to the density and consistency of sour cream), and then add a little yeast (approximately ¼ of a teaspoon).
In this mixture, you should run a microworm, which you can borrow from a friend-aquarist. If there is no such friend, then a live worm can be found on the street in a pile of wet fallen leaves (a tiny white worm) and brought home.
In 2–3 days, the microworm will become so large that it is enough for feeding small pets.
Vegetable food. In the diet of juvenile guppies must be present and food of plant origin. It can be green algae - both natural and grown at home. In principle, in any aquarium water there is both zooplankton (living microorganisms) and phytoplankton (the smallest algae).
These algae are wonderful food for tiny fry in the first days of their life, since the size of each grain of such a plant culture is from 0.02 to 1 mm.
Growing nutritious phytoplankton at home is a snap. It is only necessary to pour aquarium water into a glass jar and expose it to direct sunlight. That is, we "turn on" the process of photosynthesis, which contributes to the rapid growth of vegetation.
When in 2-3 days this water turns green, it can be added in small portions to the tank with the fry. From the first days of their lives, tiny fish will be happy to eat this vegetable food.
There are several ways and recipes for cooking fry at home. You can learn about them in the special literature or on the Internet.
Guppies are very popular in home aquarism, often they are the first fish that the newcomer of this fascinating activity gets. And when we are preparing for the appearance of fish offspring, it is necessary to take into account that the abundant food and diverse diet contribute to the normal development of these wonderful creatures of nature.
How to keep fry
It is recommended to keep fry guppies separately from adults, as their life is endangered from the moment of their appearance - even during the birth process, their own mother can eat them if the baby swam too close to her mouth.
You can, of course, leave the fry in the general aquarium, but then you need to put in it a dense vegetation in which you can hide. If you decide to keep the children apart, then you need to remove the mother from the spawner in time. This is done immediately after the last baby is born.
If childbirth has already begun in the general aquarium, you want to save the young, and there is no suitable shelter, then you can carefully catch the fry with the help of a plastic cup and move them into a separate container. All offspring will not be able to save, but part of it will survive.
Conditions of detention
The little guppy fighter will feel much better and safer in a special barge, where adult relatives will not threaten it. To create all the conditions for the kids:
- Choose a container, about 25-50 liters in volume - depending on the number of fry. The greater the volume, the easier it will be to care.
- We take water from the common aquarium, where the fish were born. Soil, plants and shelters should not be placed in the pit. Daily it is necessary to substitute 30-40% of water. Liquid to replace defend 3 days.
- The compressor, filter and heater are installed in the tank. The aquarium is illuminated with a fluorescent lamp, since it almost does not heat the water. The first three days of life the temperature in the aquarium should be 27 o C, then it is reduced first to 25, and by 4 months - to 24.
- The bottom siphon after replacing the water. Filtration and aeration should be carried out continuously. Sponge from the filter is washed every week.
- The number of light hours should be gradually reduced. If in the first weeks of life the lamp should shine within 12 hours, then by 4 months this time is reduced to 8.
In the first 5 days after the birth, the guppy fry are especially vulnerable. At this time, it is recommended to feed babies with live food: “live dust”, rotifers, cyclops, etc.
If you believe the personal experience and photos of other razvodchiki, then healthy kids guppies should have a little round little swollen tummies. In this case, the appetite of fry should always be good. If the fish refuse to eat, then there is something wrong with the water in the center.
The first week of the babies is fed 5 times a day, the second - 4 times, and then they switch to three meals a day. Until the fry are 4 months old, they are less likely to give out feed.
There will be no problems with the selection of the diet - in pet stores sell special mixtures for feeding fish, depending on the species, age and size.
How long do they grow
Growth of guppy fry will depend on light intensity, water temperature and feeding. Optimum temperature conditions have been described above, it is worth adding to them still around the clock coverage in the first few days of life. If the temperature is slightly reduced, the fish will grow more slowly, but will become larger. When the temperature rises, the growth accelerates, but the adult guppies will be smaller than their relatives who grew up in other conditions. In the photo you can choose what sizes you want to get an individual, and adjust the temperature. However, this can affect the health and longevity of the fish.
Two weeks after birth, it will become clear who the guppy fry is. In females at this age, a dark spot appears on the abdomen. However, this symptom is not always manifested so early, sometimes it takes about one and a half months to reap. In the case of breeding silver guppies, the spot will be bright.
Before the appearance of offspring, the female is deposited in a separate aquarium so that the young that appear will not become food for other adult individuals. Fry are kept and fed separately until they become competitive for life in a common aquarium. Feeding small fish is different from the diet of adults and has the following features:
frequency - babies need 5-6 meals per day, all food should be eaten in one feeding. The settling of food debris on the bottom of the aquarium creates a dangerous increase in nitrogen content for the guppy, which can lead to the death of offspring,
feed size - unlike food for adult fish, for small guppies, food should be significantly smaller. Dry food before serving in the aquarium is washed between the fingers to the state of dust,
lighting - it is forbidden to turn off the light in the aquarium, especially the first week,
amounts of food served. From birth, for the first two weeks guppy fry should receive a copious amount of food that would exceed their weight by an average of 60%. In the period of up to two months, the ratio of the size of portions and weight is twice as high. Only after two months of age, older fish begin to feed moderately - first offering food in the amount of one third of the weight, and in the future - 15%.
Three months after separate keeping, the youngsters can be returned to the general aquarium - they are old enough and big fish cannot harm them.
Meals in the early days
Almost immediately after birth, the fry begin to look for food. The most responsible for the breeder feeding period are the first 3-5 days, when the kids should get plenty of good nutrition at a constant light. On the first day and the whole week you can offer the fish the so-called "live dust" - live food of small size. Such catering includes the ciliates of the shoe, rotifers, microwells on the oatmeal of carrot juice, the nauplii of Artemia, etc.
In the first 5 days food should be made up to 5 times a day, at any time, babies should find high-quality food - this will allow them to fully develop.
Natural food for fry older than a week
The preference for natural food is given by many experienced aquarists who are professionally engaged in fish farming. From the second week, feeding is reduced up to 4 times a day, complementing the early diet with complementary feed in the form of crushed bloodworms, nematodes, pipe makers (no more than 2 times a week). It is possible to dilute a microworm, which is well eaten and assimilated by young guppies, according to this scheme:
- prepare a nutrient medium - mix the corn flour with a small amount of water to obtain a creamy consistency, add a little yeast to the mass,
- a microworm or take from another owner of the aquarium, or find fallen leaves outside in the wet environment, and run into the corn mass,
- in a few days, the micro-worm will multiply enough to feed aquarium pets.
Guppies at age older than a week are given to:
- hard-boiled egg yolk. It is necessary to knead with a fork, dilute a little with water from the aquarium and put it in gauze section. The resulting bag is lowered into a container with guppy fry and shaken to release the egg dust - it will be eaten by the young,
- at home you can feed the offspring omelet. In the process of cooking, add a teaspoon of dried and chopped nettle or rolled oats to the egg. With constant whipping, you need to pour 50 ml of boiling milk into the mass - in the process the egg will curdle, and the finished small omelet can be offered to fry,
- milk powder. Capacity with milk put in a water bath and boil until complete evaporation. The resulting powder is collected and offered to feed small fish,
- sour milk. To fold the milk protein, the product is poured with boiling water, and the resulting clot is washed from the whey formed. Feeding is done from the net, shaking it to release small particles,
- cheese. Solid or processed cheese without additives with a neutral taste is rubbed on a fine grater and dried slightly. Such a top dressing is given only in a small amount, since its surplus may adversely affect the quality of water.
The described substitutes can not be a complete feed for fish, they can be introduced into the food system, but with mandatory alternation with other feeds. It is important to add a small amount of algae, phytoplankton and other components of plant origin to the diet. From the beginning of the month the food of the fry is enriched with crushed bloodworms, pipe maker, Cyclops, daphnia.
It is widely believed that feeding guppies with dry food can only be done when they reach one month of age, and the maximum frequency of such dressings in the first four weeks cannot exceed once a week. However, many people prefer to feed fry of aquarium fish on the basis of a special balanced feed, to which you no longer need to add anything. There are offers from MikroMin, Mikropan Sulfur, etc., intended specifically for raising offspring.
Popular is the starter feed from the German company Tetra. It comes in the form of a dense paste, which consists of the following components:
- beef and fish liver,
- egg yolk,
- mosquito larvae,
- sprouted wheat, crushed into flour, etc.
Feeding "start" is as follows: the neck of an open tube is lowered into the water, a light pressing from it removes a portion of food, which gradually dissolves in the aquarium water and becomes suitable and convenient for use by fry.
A big plus of purchased compositions is their balance, which is quite difficult to achieve with the use of natural food. Thus, vitamins A, T, carotene, calcium fluoride and other important components necessary for growth and development are added to the feed.
Proper feeding of guppy fry from the first days is a guarantee of getting beautiful and healthy adults. Regardless of the chosen scheme - food commercial feeds or live and homemade food - it is important to follow the basic rules regarding the frequency of feeding and its quantity. Любая пища для мальков должны быть разнообразной по своему составу, сбалансированной и свежей, в противном случае можно и вовсе потерять потомство.
Особенности питания гуппи
Кормить маленьких гуппи нужно иначе, чем взрослых особей. Если больших кормят дважды в день, то малышей от 5 до 6 раз. Корма за один прием дают столько, чтобы съели сразу. В противном случае он осядет на дно и создаст в аквариуме опасные для жизни мальков условия: в воде образуется много азотаthat will lead to the death of the guppy offspring. In addition, water changes should be daily. It should be taken only from the aquarium, where dad and mom swim.
It is not necessary to say that feeding is an extremely difficult issue, since the fry are ready to eat food that is fed to adults as well. The only question is the size of this feed: it should be much smaller, since the guppy fry have small mouths. If you feed dry food, you need to move it between your fingers so that it turns into dust.
You can choose another option: purchase a special feed (Tetra MicroMin or Sulfur Micropan), designed for feeding fry. Both feeds are balanced, so you don’t need to add anything: your fry will get good nutrition according to their age.
There are also MicroMin substitutein which there are all the vitamins that are required for guppens in the first days of life.
To fry grew full, you need to feed them carefully. Especially attentive to them you need to be in the first week. In addition, the light can not be turned off for a minute, otherwise the fry may die.
What to feed the guppy fry at first?
How you feed your pets in the first five days will determine their full growth and development. Do not forget to feed them in time. Fish food must be found at any time.
It is better use live feed:
- This may be live dust (“infusoria slipper” is suitable, but you can feed it for three or five days).
- micro-hearts that you yourself grew on chopped carrots, or purchased at the pet store,
- nauplia, cortemia, rotifers (chop!).
- Dry food is also appropriate, but it should be used for feeding fry only once a week.
The first seven days feed is given daily 4 to 5 times. In the second week there will be enough four meals a day. From now on, you can add crushed moth, tubule, nematode, but this supplement can be given only once a week.
For busy aquarists we advise you to purchase an automatic feeder. But this does not exempt from the obligation to monitor the cleanliness of the aquarium.
Not bad eat fry and live feed substitutesthat you can cook yourself at home: chicken yolk, scrambled eggs, yogurt and other food.
How to prepare live food substitutes?
- Sour milk. Fill this product with boiling water. Casein is curtailed. The resulting clot is caught with a net with small cells. The contents are thoroughly washed with serum. To feed the little guppies you need from the net. When shaken, a cloud is formed on the surface with tiny food particles. The water in the aquarium does not spoil. Stored lure in the refrigerator.
- Boiled chicken egg. The yolk is taken out and pounded in a spoon. Water should be taken from the aquarium. Instead of a spoon, you can use cheesecloth. Wrapped yolk plop in water. Fry eat the resulting egg dust. It should be noted that the water from such a lure spoils quickly, it will have to be replaced more often.
- You can feed the little guppies and scrambled eggs. To do this, use a pair of eggs, which add 2 teaspoons of nettle. It is dried and triturated. You can add rolled oats. Fall asleep in a hundred milliliters of boiling milk. The resulting mass is whipped. After cooling, you can offer fry. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator. Storage time is limited.
- Fry living in an aquarium can be fed with powdered milk. It has a lot of healthy protein. Regular milk should be evaporated in a water bath. The powder, which turned out, is not able to dissolve in water. Therefore, in a few hours the fish eat it without a trace.
- Guppies love cheese. Choose not sharp. It should not be grated with the smallest cells. If the cheese is melted, then it must be dried. You do not need to add much, just for one time. Excess can adversely affect water quality.
It is advisable not to feed the fry during the first month with dry food. The fact is that you can not fill it at the rate. Excess food "rot", forming a film on the aquarium water area. She does not miss the air. In addition, small guppies cannot swallow such coarse food.
What else you need to know about feeding
Question, what to feed the guppy fryimportant in the future. After two months, you can feed a pipe worker, daphnia, cyclop, and algae. Vegetable food will not interfere. From ready-made compositions use a mixture of Gordon. From the first days you need to monitor the balance of food. If this is not done, then no good nutrition in the future will help in the proper development of fry. You can not get a bright color, and the collapse of the tail will not meet the desired characteristics.
Feed the guppies need according to weight:
- From birth and during the first 14 days the food is plentiful, more weight by 50-70%.
- From the 15th day to the age of two months - from 80 to 100%
- After two months - about 30%.
- When the guppies are divided along the floor, you need to feed even less - about 15% by weight.
- Those fry, which are left as producers, should be fed with caution, significantly reducing portions: food from only 3 to 5%.
It is possible to replace the grown-up fry in the general aquarium in about three months. Adults guppies will not be able to harm them.