Carrying for cats - a thing necessary for every owner of a fluffy pet. Even if the animal is constantly in the house, such a device will be needed to go to the vet. Also carrying simply indispensable on trips and for visiting exhibitions. What are the types of such devices and which one is better? How to choose a carrier for the cat, as well as how to make it yourself? Find out with us!
Choosing the right carrier
There are a large number of carriers for cats that have a different shape. Such devices are made of various materials and are intended for various purposes. For example, plastic carriers for cats and cages are better suited for transporting a pet in a car, and the bag, as in the photo below, does not take up much space. Backpacks are necessary for owners of furry in order to carry the animal for a short distance on foot. Therefore, first you need to decide why you need such a bag.
- it should have an observation hole - it is better when the animal sees what is happening around him, the feeling of anxiety decreases,
- Carrying should have a hard bottom - the pet will behave more calmly if it feels firm ground under the legs,
- the design should be spacious enough - the cat should not sit in discomfort,
- the carrying for the cat must be strong - especially if the furry beast is large,
- if you choose a cage, then it must have a solid bottom.
For more details on how to choose a carrier, see the following video.
Soft cat carrying bags have a built-in frame or thick walls. This design is created for the comfort of a fluffy passenger. When choosing such a tent it is best to evaluate the quality of the frame. To do this, it is necessary to press a little on its walls: the carrier can bend a little, and then come back to its original appearance. If the seams of the carrying bag are reinforced with plastic “underwire”, bend the wand to check whether it is flexible or not. How this bag looks like can be seen in the photo.
These bags are suitable for kittens and for adult fluffy pets.
Soft carrying bags are suitable for different occasions. Its bottom is quite strong and wide, the walls keep the original appearance and do not constrain the animal. In addition to the mesh, which is located in the upper part, in such bags there are often windows on the side. Hosts will also appreciate the big pocket. Some models of the bag-carrying have built-in fabric partitions, so you can remove them and get a bag for a couple of cats.
If the owner of the cat travels alone, then he will definitely need a carrying backpack. The advantages of the backpack are obvious: no need to look for a place where to put it, hands are free. Of the minuses of the backpack is its shaking, nerve cats such a device will bring discomfort. However, there are comfortable backpacks that are equipped with straps that prevent the backpack from swinging. An example of a backpack, look at the photo.
Carrying-backpack is, in its essence, a small suitcase, which has windows for ventilation of space in it.
Ventilation in such a backpack-carrying enough, because the side windows in them are high. Of course, there is no rear window, but it is not necessary, since the cat will sit sideways, with its muzzle turned toward the side window. Also carrying a backpack can have wheels that will be very convenient when trains in transport, or during long hikes at the airport or train station. When buying such a device, one should pay attention to the quality of the wheels: they should not creak or jam. The backpack is perfect for adult cats and kittens.
Most of the owners on the question of what kind of carrying is best, all as one say - plastic. There is some truth in this. Here the cat feels safe, because the solid wall protects it well from accidental touches. The life of such a device has almost no limitations, it is easy to dry and wash. This design is suitable for both a kitten and an adult cat. Looks like the photo on the plastic box.
The disadvantage of plastic boxing is its bulkiness, so it is inconvenient to carry it. However, without looking at this inconvenience, plastic carrying is a universal thing. You can take her on a trip, and go for a walk, and go to an appointment with a veterinarian. A great option for carrying a plastic cat is the maximum ventilation, the presence of a metal door and an opening top. Such plastic boxes are taken on a plane or on a train.
Cage-carrying cat is good for a long journey on any kind of transport. Such a carrier is allowed to take into the cabin, provided that the owner covers it with a rug. If the transportation of the cat as a hand baggage is not planned, you can send a cage with your pet and in the luggage compartment. The disadvantage of such a carrying is that the device cannot be taken out on the street during the rainy or cold season. In the heat, the cat, on the contrary, can overheat, if you do not cover the cage with a light cloth.
Also, this design weighs a lot. The advantages of the cell-carrying, as in the photo, is its excellent ventilation and visibility. The steel-cage cage is easy to clean, it does not deform, you can place the bottom of the device with a rug, and, if size allows, put a bowl with water. The cage is suitable for both a kitten and an adult cat.
We sew a carrying bag with our own hands
Reliable and convenient carrying for cats with their own hands is not an easy task. But for craftsmen and lovers to sew does not present much difficulty. Of course, for its manufacture we will need materials and a drawing. Below is a drawing of an economical variation of a bag for walking or traveling in transport, we’ll sew along it.
Tools and materials
- fabric, well-shaped - 2 square meters. m,
- a piece of hard material, for example, a sheet of thin plywood, to strengthen the bottom of the bag - 20 by 37 cm,
- Lightning - 5 pcs.,
- soft materials for lining, for example, foam rubber - 1 square. m,
- mesh, well breathable - 45 to 20 cm,
- Velcro - 40 cm
- materials for handbag handles,
- sewing machine,
- Make a pattern on a sheet of paper, its scale can be seen in the drawing,
- Make holes for the mesh,
- Transfer the pattern to the fabric in 2 copies, insert the foam fabric between them. Insert plywood for the bottom between the foam and the outer layer.
- Pin up the edges of the bag for easy sewing,
- Cut in accordance with the size of the drawing grid, while leaving a centimeter on the allowances for each side. Insert the parts into the fabric blank and fix with pins. After that, sew the edges of the carrying for the cat, while leaving a centimeter allowance in a circle for the zipper,
- Sew in accordance with the drawing of the zipper, at the same time, so that they are closed from the corner of the bag. Attach the zipper pocket so that the animal remains in the carrier when you unfasten the pocket,
- Attach the upper flap to one of the transverse parts. The fourth and fifth zippers should be made to fasten the valve when the owner collects the bag,
- Sew Velcro over the top of the pocket.
Cats do not like innovations and changes. You can not just take and put the cat in the carrier, which you just bought. A cat should get used to it, settle it.
If you understand that you will need to carry it sooner or later (and you will need it!), Then buy it in advance. Put the carrier in a secluded place - preferably where the cat spends a lot of time. Lay a soft bed on the bottom. Play with the cat near the carrying: let her learn to enter it herself for a toy or treat. Be patient, and soon carrying will be for the cat "house", where she goes herself and in which she feels comfortable.
If you go on a trip by car, lock the carrier with a seat belt.
Some cats love to stare out of carrying around, but many are frightened by the kind of unfamiliar space. If your cat is nervous, then cover the carrier with a rug or towel, let it calm down. Drive smoothly, avoid sudden movements, gently move bumps on the road.
Sometimes you just want to let the cat out of the carrying, so that he can calmly walk around the car. It is difficult to forbid it, but ... do it at your own peril and risk. Remember: a cat may be frightened by anything and jump on the steering wheel with fear, jump out of an open window on the move or get stuck under the pedals. And in case of sudden braking or, God forbid, an accident, the cat turns into an uncontrollable projectile under the influence of inertial force, capable of piercing the windshield or causing injury to itself and people.
Returning from the trip, and even more so - from the veterinary clinic, wash the carrier to wash off "alien" and foreign odors. Then put the litter with the familiar smell in the carrier again and put the carrier in the same place where the cat used to see it.
No need to hide the carrier in the closet, on the balcony or the mezzanine and get it only if necessary. Carrying should be a habitual place for a cat, causing pleasant and comfortable associations.
How to correctly choose the carrier for the cat
Do not rush to buy designer unusual carrier in a zoological store. First decide:
- For what purpose it is needed.
- Can she bear the weight of your cat when he grows up.
Even a kind and harmless kitty, locked in a carrier, can feel discomfort during transportation, and thus reincarnate in a ferocious beast, ready to incinerate everything with its claws, just to get out of the fetters of lack of will. If you choose a low-quality or improper carrying for the cat, then only the handle can reach the finish line, and this is at best.
The next step is to define the target, that is, the purpose of the carry:
- Need a small distance (to the nearby veterinary point).
- Need for global transportation (flight in an airplane or a trip in a train).
- Need to drive in the car (in a country house or in a new home).
Only after a competent assessment should pick up the carrier for a fluffy beast.
What qualities does a quality carry have?
- Viewing sites. When a cat sees what is happening to her, she is less nervous and worried.
- Reliable bottom. The hard surface under the paws saves the cat from stress.
- High-quality fastening locks, do not give the cat to get out ahead of schedule.
- Spaciousness. The eared pet is not obliged to be in the compressed conditions, it is good when the cat can be in carrying not in sitting, and in standing position and even walking about on small space.
Today is full of all kinds of carriers for cats, they differ in design, and in materials and in size.
To buy a good carry, look at:
Size is an extremely important quality, as it is directly related to comfort. A little higher was the conversation about the purpose of this product. If you are preparing your cat for a long-distance marathon, then note that the carrying size must be at least 50% larger than the animal itself. Kitty must easily spin and change the position of his body during the tour.
For smaller trips, a regular container will do; the animal will be able to lie still or sit in it. The main thing is that the design does not cause discomfort to your pet.
It is necessary to buy a carrier, guided not only by the comfort of the animal, but also of the person, so that he would be comfortable to carry it in his hands.
Pet weight affects the choice of carrying:
- Cats and cats with a weight of up to 5 kilograms are well transported in a carrying weighing from 1 kg to 1.5 kg.
- For weighty cats weighing 5-8 kg, a model with a weight of 1.8 - 3 kg is needed.
- For large breeds with a weight of 12 kilograms is to choose a model with a weight of up to 3 kg.
Here we are closer to the main question - what material should be carried from?
- Plastic models are relevant when transporting the caudate for long distances, for example, they are suitable for air travel.
- Textiles have great minimalism, but are not used during large journeys. But such a carrier is easy to carry the owner for an odd light weight.
- Wicker carry suitable for a one-time trip and nothing more.
More details about the types of carriers are written below.
Types of portable products for cats: an overview
Textile, soft handbags
- Textile handbags are not at all soft, they have an internal frame and dense walls. These properties and you need to test the owner of the animal - all that is required is to put pressure on the walls of the product. In the place of pressure there will be a deflection, which must very quickly return to its original position.
- View the seams in detail - plastic amplifiers near the seams should be bent to test their plasticity. Also, it would not be superfluous to check the inspection nets on the windows, is the material strong enough?
- Visible pocket or internal partitions of fabric for the simultaneous transportation of two cats will be a good help for buyers of these models.
The pros and cons of carrying
- Low weight.
- Several pairs of pens, which make it possible to carry the bag over the shoulder and hold it in the handle.
- It is stored in folded form, that is, it does not take up much space.
- does not have a sturdy construction
- moisture resistance at a low level,
- low service life (cat claws are rapidly destroying the light material of this carrying).
The basket is much safer than the above bag. However, experts do not advise using a basket on a regular basis. Let's find out the reason.
- durable and stable walls
- natural material
- ease and convenience.
- Natural material easily accepts foreign liquids and odors.
- Do not wash, it is enough to mess once to assess the entire amplitude of the troubles from the wicker basket.
In the hands-free format is no different from a portable and textile bags, at least the owner will not feel much of a difference.
Look at the good and the bad.
- Convenient to use, as it does not take up much space in transport.
- Often has wheels, which often help out during the transportation of the animal.
- A person does not have to carry an overall design in his hands.
The cat feels discomfort during transportation - it shakes and it lacks space for proper comfort.
But this model is suitable for most buyers, it is hard boxing that is preferred by experienced breeders.
The plastic design has special advantages:
- Unlimited duration of use.
- Easy to wash and dry.
Reliable frame gives the cat a sense of security, because it protects it from shaking and unexpected external influences. But the plastic assistant has a special disadvantage. That is cumbersome. It occupies a lot of space in transport, and during transfer causes inconvenience. But sometimes such transports are simply necessary, for example, during a flight on an airplane.
The view from this cage is magnificent, not only does the cat see everything, but it cannot escape either. The owner with such a cage feels complete harmony, as he sees the state of his pet.
- The reliability of the cell.
- The hardness of the material.
- Chance to take this product in the cabin of an airliner, but on condition that it will not interfere with anyone and will be hidden.
- Ability to store the cage in the luggage compartment.
- It is easy to wash and it can not be deformed.
- Heavy and uncomfortable during transportation.
- During the rain does not protect the animal from water, and during the heat - from overheating.
What kind of carrier you choose is purely your business, but please consider the time and scale of the trip, the weight of the structure, the weight of the cat, and the nature of your pet.
Who is carrying?
Key manufacturers of portable models: Triol, Iata, Karlie, Atlas, Trixie, Dogman, Marchioro (Italy), Ferplast, Gulliver, Sturdi Products, Savic, Scudo.
Known Cat Carriers
- Marchioro Clipper Cayman 1 - this container is designed for aircraft.
- The backpack "Rocket" is suitable for convenient transfer of your pet to the doctor or take him for a walk.
- SturdiBag Large is a compact bag for carrying two pets at once.
- Triol is another handbag, and even with wheels.
- Trixie №2 - cell-container is designed for fast travel, not time-consuming.
- Ferplast ATLAS 10 VISION is another menagerie, consisting more of a cage than of a covering material.
- Elite Valley is like an aquarium, however, instead of fish there is a cat in it.
- The children's Techome Pet-bag is most suitable for small kittens, but adults are unlikely to fit in it.
How to choose a carrier for the cat
Before you buy the most beautiful carrier in the pet store, decide:
- why exactly do you need it
- how long will she endure the onslaught of your cat.
Самая ласковая и изящная кошечка, закрытая в переноске, почувствовав, что ее выносят из привычного жилища, превращается в яростную фурию и от красивой, но некачественной переноски для кошек до конечной цели путешествия может доехать только ручка.
Далее, выберите цели, с которыми вы приобретаете этот важный девайс:
- Переноска на небольшие расстояния (до ближайшего кабинета ветеринара),
- Для транспортировки в больших путешествиях (поездка в поезде, в самолете),
- Для поездки в машине (на дачу или на другую квартиру).
And soberly assessing these items, we begin to carefully select the carrier.
What should be in a good carrying:
- Inspection holes. When a cat controls a situation, its level of anxiety decreases,
- Hard bottom. Solid ground soothes not only people
- Strong buckles, excluding escape,
- Space. The animal should not sit in three deaths, ideally, if the cat inside the carrier can stand up to full height and take a couple of steps.
Today there are a lot of different shipments for cats, radically different materials, sizes, etc.
In order to make the right choice when purchasing a carry, pay attention to:
This is a very important criterion, since the comfort of your pet directly depends on it.
Remember, we have singled out the purpose of buying a carry? If you need it for long trips, then purchase a carrier, the size of which is one and a half times larger than your cat. The animal must rotate freely and change its position during the trip.
For trips over short distances, a container in which the animal can simply lie freely is enough.
The carrier must be comfortable and as comfortable as possible for use by a person.
There is a temptation to buy the easiest carrying, but there is a high risk that a powerful animal will deal with it in minutes.
How to choose a carrier for the cat, focusing on the entire cattery?
- For cats and cats weighing up to 5 kg, carrying a weight of 1.1 - 1.2 kg is suitable.
- For cats weighing up to 8 kg, a weight of 1.8 kg is required.
- And if you have a kilogram of about 12 kilograms, then buy him a personal vehicle weighing 2.5 kg - 2.7 kg.
So we approached one of the main questions - what the carrier should be made of.
- Plastic carriers are suitable for transporting an animal over long distances, for air travel, etc.
- Textile carriers are more compact, but not suitable for long journeys.
- Wicker carriers are good for photo and single use.
On how to choose the right carry - more below.
Soft bag carrying textiles
Soft carrying bags are not that soft - each of them has an embedded frame or thick walls. Here is the quality of the owner of the animal and you need to evaluate in the first place - push on the walls of the carrying. At the point of application of force, the carrying bends, but it must quickly return to its original appearance.
Carefully examine the seams - bend the plastic-reinforced seams to test its flexibility.
Examine the grids on the viewing windows, whether they are of sufficient quality.
The presence of a pocket on the outside of the textile carrying and / or built-in fabric partitions (for the possibility of transporting two cats at the same time) is a pleasant bonus to the purchase.
Advantages and disadvantages of tissue carrying for cats.
- Low weight
- Two pairs of handles, allowing you to carry a bag in your hand and over your shoulder,
- Ability to store in folded form.
- The lack of a strong frame,
- Fast wear (the claws of the cat, which seeks to break free, this carrying does not leave much chance).
Baskets for the transportation of cats
Wicker carrier is stronger than cloth. But experts do not recommend to have at home only a basket for transportation. Consider in more detail why?
- Wicker basket has hard walls
- Made from natural material,
- Natural material easily absorbs liquids,
- Also unpleasant smells are absorbed,
- Wicker carriers cannot be washed.
Cat carrying backpack
This is a hands-free format, a little different from a textile bag-carrying ... for the owner. But for the cat ...
So, the advantages and disadvantages of carrying a backpack.
- There is no need to search for a place in the transport and on the road, where to put the backpack,
- The backpack is often equipped with wheels that turn it into a cart on wheels,
- Free hands at the person.
> Stefanplast Gulliver 2 Delux - the best carrier for cats
Roomy plastic carrier for cats with a metal door (Stefanplast, Italy) is suitable for animals weighing up to 8 kg.
Comfortable house is suitable for traveling by transport. The design of products differs in the special durability and reliability. The box is made of high-quality plastic - it is not deformed, and the metal door is equipped with a reliable lock, your pet will not be able to escape.
Included with the carrier is a set of spare clips and a food bowl, which can be easily attached to the door. Ventilation is provided by the side openings - the animal will be comfortable while traveling. From above, the manufacturer has provided special boxes for various trifles. There is also a closing window - it simplifies the owner's access to the animal. Carrying weight - 1.98 kg. Dimensions: 56x36x35 cm.
- Plus: there is a hole for the seat belt.
- Minus: you need to specify in the airline the possibility of transportation in the cabin.
Popular cat carriers - features, pros, cons
- Marchioro Clipper "Cayman 1" - container in the plane,
- Backpack carrying Rocket,
- SturdiBag Large - carrying bag for cats,
- Bag-carrying "Triol" on wheels,
- Cage for cats Trixie №2,
- Ferplast ATLAS 10 VISION - open container,
- Exhibition cell Elite Valley "Aquarium",
- Open Techome Pet-Bag is a budget option.
Marchioro "Cayman 1" - for aircraft
Durable Italian plastic and metal carrier is suitable for transporting cats and dogs of small breeds. Differs special reliability, has a reinforced bottom. In the lid of the product there are holes for good ventilation. On the metal door there is a reliable lock with a clipper fastener mechanism.
Carrying is a very convenient handle and there is an additional mount for the shoulder strap that needs to be purchased separately. The carrying is collapsible, which makes it easy to wash and store. Suitable for animals weighing up to 10 kg. Carrying can be taken on the plane, as it meets the standards of the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- Plus: suitable for air travel.
- Minus: the wheels, drinker, belt and grille at the bottom must be bought additionally.
Backpack carrying Rocket
The original U-pet space backpack with a window-porthole and a rocket print not only attracts the attention of others with its unusual design, but also has high functionality. In such a carry it will be convenient to travel to both the owner and the animal.
The backpack differs in reliability and a practicality, thanks to the spacious sizes and a rigid framework. Side openings of mesh material provide good ventilation. Using such a carrying frees the owner's hands, and the cat gives the opportunity to observe everything that happens around. Product dimensions: 45x32x23 cm.
- Plus: stylish.
- Minus: maintains cats weighing up to 7 kg.
The Large model is considered to be the most popular carrier carried by producer Sturdi. This bag can withstand up to 18 kg and can withstand the weight of even the largest cat.
For ease of use, the bag opens both on top and on the side. Blinds and carrying net can be folded and fixed with velcro. The belt of the bag is adjustable to the height of the owner and is equipped with a soft cushion. The handle of the bag is made of genuine leather. Blinds of a bag are fixed on flypapers. The product is equipped with a harness that is attached to the carrying. At the base of the bag there is a lightweight and durable foam board bottom.
Can be washed in an automatic washing machine. Product size: 30.5 × 30.5 × 45.5 cm.
- Plus: there is a fastener for a seat belt.
- Minus: high price.
Cage for cats Trixie №2
Chrome cat cage with a plastic pallet is suitable for transporting an animal in the car. The door is located on the short side, opens outwards. The pallet is equipped with sides and extends so that it can be removed without removing the animal from the cage. The cage is very reliable and strong, all welded joints are well processed. Product size: 64x54x48 cm.
- Plus: the cell is disassembled for easy storage.
- Minus: high price.
Ferplast ATLAS 10 VISION
The open container from Ferplast is suitable for both cats and small dogs. The model is made of steel gratings with a plastic coating and a durable basket-tray made of plastic. The product has two doors, one of which is located on top of the carrying, the second - in front.
The cage is protected from accidental opening during transport. The front door in the closed position is attached to the pallet, and the upper part can be opened only when using a special lock. The cage is easy to clean. Dimensions: 48 × 32.5 × 29 cm.
- Plus: there is a trough and mattress in the set.
- Minus: the possibility of transportation in the cabin of the aircraft must be specified in the airline.
Cage for the exhibition Elite Valley "Aquarium"
The easy and convenient exhibition cage has a folding design. The product is a frame made of plastic tubes, onto which a removable cover of PVC film, textiles and mesh is stretched. All walls are connected to each other with a zipper. The cage is quickly and easily disassembled and assembled - this is convenient for owners who show their pets at exhibitions.
- Plus: the cage is equipped with a bag-case for transportation and storage.
- Minus: high price.
Techome Open Pet Bag
Inexpensive carrying is made of eco-friendly plastic and fabric. The bottom is detachable for easy cleaning of the product. The carrying is folded into a small handbag, which is convenient for storage. Ventilation of the product is carried out using a mesh.
Bag-carrying can be worn in the hand or over the shoulder. Included with the bag is a shoulder strap with adjustable length. The carrying has a bright modern design. Size: 35x20x22 cm.
- Plus: low price.
- Minus: suitable for cats weighing less than 4 kg.
Reviews about carriers for cats
Lyudmila: “When we got a kitten, we immediately thought about buying a carry, because we realized that we were the owners and we would see the vet often. It was decided to buy a plastic carrier for growth. We stopped at the company "Triol". My opinion is very positive - quality plastic, fastenings are reliable, the bottom does not bend, there are openings for ventilation. The kitten felt calm the first time, today it is also a home house. ”
Alexander: “My daughter bought a soft Trixie bag for a cat. The consultant said that such a carrying bag for cats is suitable for small cats. My opinion is ambiguous - on the one hand, the bag is easy to wash, and on the other, the cardboard bottom wears off quickly. In general, the material and tailoring quality, but the handles also quickly lost their presentation. And our cat is still uncomfortable in such a bag. Shouts, breaks out. "
Magda: “The carriage was bought not by manufacturer but by sympathy — the coloring of the material attracted attention. And somehow guessed. The seams are flat, reinforced with such plastic sticks, lightning is strong, the window is also reliable. Initially I thought that I’m buying a soft carrier for no more than a year, but for three years now I’ve been exploiting it, and the appearance is still presentable. The only drawback that annoys me is that the fabric gathers wool very much. After each trip it is necessary to scoop up clubs of hairs. But I'm not lazy.
How to teach a cat to carry
If there is a trip ahead, then postpone familiarity with carrying it is impossible. Even today, get the carrier, put it in a wrong place, cover it with a blanket that is familiar to the cat and leave it open. If the cat itself shows curiosity and goes into the carrier - do not scare it away, let the animal look around and get used to it.
If the cat ignores the carrying - you need to lure her. Let the bait is a favorite toy or food - it does not matter.
The correct choice of carrying and loyalty to her cats - a guarantee of quiet trips in the future.