Understanding why your cat bites or scratches is the most important thing to stop your pet from these negative habits. Step-by-step guide for owners of aggressive animals.
It is unpleasant when your beloved pet turns from cute purrs into an aggressive “fury” that bites and scratches everything that moves. Every owner should understand that cats never bite or scratch without a reason. Bites and scratches are a way to communicate. It is important to learn to understand this peculiar language, to listen to what the cat wants to say, to draw the right conclusions.
The reasons why the cat bites
Inadequate behavior of cats is most often caused by problems with the health of the animal, impaired psycho-emotional development and host errors made in the upbringing.
Begin an analysis of the reasons why the cat bites, should be with a visit to a veterinary specialist. The doctor will assess the state of health of the pet - perhaps a cat or a kitten bites due to lack of vitamins or due to the fact that his teeth are changing.
In such cases, you need to adjust the power scheme and purchase special teething toys.
- A cat bites when stroked in the abdomen or base of the tail. These are especially sensitive areas on the body of the animal, which the cat thus tries to protect. This is the instinct of self-preservation, which the owner will have to reckon with. If you stroke other parts of the cat's body, and she unexpectedly attacked you - maybe something hurts her. Show her to the vet.
- Cats bite from love. Do not forget that in the wild, representatives of the cat family bite each other during courtship - so they express each other sympathy. Such a “kiss” is easy to distinguish from aggression: licked, lightly bitten, licked again.
- A cat bites his hands, if in childhood the hosts played hands with him. The animal does not see the difference between toys and human hands, so it can attack, bite and scratch in the game. This reason is 100% human omission. Never play with your hands with kittens and do not allow children to do this.
- Cats bite from boredom. It also happens. If the cat has nothing to do, she comes up with a game for herself: she attacks from around the corner, jumps into her arms, bites her arms and legs. The owner should make sure that the pet has toys or a companion for games.
- Oddly enough, bites can be not only from a lack of attention and games, but also from their excess. If you play with an animal for a long time or stroke it and see that the tip of the tail twitches, and a shiver passes through the fur - leave the cat alone. She is tired of your attention. Otherwise, you run the risk of feeling what a cat bite is. In this way, the cat wants to say - do not touch me!
- A negative experience is another reason cats show their teeth. Sometimes owners caress pets for procedures that frighten an animal: shots, bathing, grooming, trimming claws. It is worth several times to deceive the cat in this way - the trust will be lost forever. Do not be surprised if the animal will perceive all subsequent petting as preparation for unpleasant manipulations and will throw at you.
- Early weaning from the mother affects the behavior of the kitten. Domestic cat-mother teaches his offspring that a person does not need to be afraid - he is a source of heat and food. If kittens were born in a wild environment or were weaned early from their mother, then they do not have this information. For such kittens, a person is a huge, scary, hostile creature, causing aggression. Weaning a kitten to bite and scratch will be difficult - so they are protected from imaginary danger.
- Pregnant and lactating cats can dramatically change their character. Therefore, in these important periods of cat life it is better not to touch them. They bite and scratch to protect their offspring.
- With the help of a physical impact on humans, animals try to express their discontent. For example, if the cat does not like the owner's behavior (for example, he is nervous or screaming a lot), then she tries to get his attention. At first, the animal meows appealingly - it expresses a specific demand. Then, if that doesn't work, the cat may begin to bite and scratch. The attentive owner will be able to understand that he wants to bring a pet to him.
What to do if the cat is scratching
To wean the cat to scratch, you can use the tips we have given above or try these:
- To stop the kitten from rushing and scratching, you can use its natural fear - throw a towel or a light pillow over it. The sudden darkness will sober up the kid playing out, and an association will form in his head: scratching is dark. Be patient, raising a kitten is a long process.
- If a kitten or an adult animal scratches while playing, divert its attention. Take your hands off. Offer him to play with a toy or a teaser. Be adamant, stop all attempts of children and guests to play with animal hands.
- Try to wean the kitten to scratch, using noise. Every time the animal releases its claws, stop the raging "aggressor" with a loud sound. You can clap your hands abruptly, tap a spoon on the pan, or drop something on the floor. Sober loud noises make the cat sober. If you repeat the "sound punishment" all the time, the cat will learn the lesson, it will be possible to prevent an attack on a person with this sound.
- If you use the words “no” or “teeth” for weaning from bites, do not use them when the cat scratches you. Choose another conditional punishment word. For example, "claws" or "paws". It is necessary to speak the word punishment in a loud calm voice every time an animal tries to use claws in relation to you, your household or guests.
If none of the above helped you - remember how the cat mother teaches kittens. Carefully take the "fluffy aggressor" by the scruff of the neck - in this position, he will immediately calm down and calm down!
This is a typical problem of the behavior of the animal, which arises due to the inexperience of the owners or if there were only dogs or animals in the house before the kitten.
The fact is that the owners themselves are the perpetrators of such behavior. Encouraging a little kitten and laughing at the fact that it can not harm either thin claws, or even very tiny fangs, you yourself show him this pattern of behavior. Growing up, the animal simply continues to play in the manner to which you have taught it. And it is not his fault that his nails have turned into real sabers, but his fangs have grown and now resemble a sharp trap more. The kitten is aggressive, scratches and bites, not because he chooses it, but because you yourself offered him such a game.
Causes of aggression
Such deviations in behavior further lead to game aggression, when the animal ceases to control itself, and its instincts are pulled out.
Too early and improper weaning from breast milk can be another reason for this behavior. The fact is that the cat-mother teaches the kitten that “it is not always possible to get all that you want,” even from the first months, when she gradually ceases to feed him. Gradually, she translates it into solid food, and by 7 weeks the baby clearly learns that she can play with her, drink her milk, etc., with her permission. If you yourself translated the kitten to solid food, then, most likely, it was not limited to anything, but on the contrary, spoiled, hence the lack of a stopper in its future behavior. Saying how to stop a kitten from biting and scratching when it’s grown up is difficult, but it’s still possible.
Mistakes that the hosts make
Some of the most common mistakes that owners make when raising a kitten and in its more adult life:
- Aggressive games. A very common type of games, when the owner attacks the kitten with his hands and as if fighting with him. The kitten strongly bites and scratches, violently bites into small teeth in the owner’s fingers and palms for a few seconds, and then flees. This is quite a ridiculous sight, only you laughed and forgot, and the pet only retreated for a while and began to prepare a retaliatory move. When you have finished playing, in the head of the animal your hands become a symbol of prey, and after that he sees nothing wrong with attacking them at any moment.
- Aggression by the person. If it is customary in the family to talk to each other in a raised voice, shouting and beating with hands, then this behavior pattern becomes normal for an animal.
- Invalid body signs. A long look and sharp movements are a call-out symbol for cats.
- Lack of gaming activity. If no attention is paid to the kitten, no one plays with it and does not pay attention to it, it starts looking for other ways to have fun.
How to wean a kitten biting and scratching while playing
In order not to become a victim of the pet's claws, it is not necessary to completely eliminate the game or forbid it to hunt and run. If the kitten constantly bites and scratches and goes over the edge, you just need to start following a few rules and simple tricks that will allow you to correct the behavior of the cat.
If you feel that the kitten has begun to flirt and do harm, try to switch its aggression to another object that will be able to interest him. For example, it can be a soft toy or a bow on a string.
If the pet still continues to attack your hands and feet, sharply and loudly say to him "You can not!" Or prikryknit him. Repeat this until the kitten is aware that if he hears a certain word, it means that the game is over.
Variety of games
Cats are very active animals, in which energy is constantly raging, so if a kitten scratches and bites during games, try to diversify the gameplay, with an emphasis on wearing down fidget. At some point, the kitten will get tired of the constant running around and calmly lie down to rest. In this case, you won’t have to guess how to stop a kitten from biting and scratching, if he himself is not happy about exhausting games. Of course, this will require patience and time on your part, but for the sake of a good night’s sleep, it’s worth playing an hour by day.
When the cats attack their prey, they continue to bite and beat it until it stops moving, after which the animal loses any interest in the victim. Also in everyday games, the most effective way for a kitten to release an arm or a leg is not active movements, but, on the contrary, the absence of any reaction.
Get another pet
Why decide how to wean a kitten biting and scratching when you can give it another “victim” for its fun?
If you have ever seen two kittens playing together, you realize that at this moment for these two thieves there is no one and nothing around. If you start another cat in the house, you will turn your attention away from yourself to her. It can be any other animal, as long as both pets find a common language.
In order to wean the kitten to scratch, in no case can you use physical force and beat the animal. Use remote and harmless punishment. The most effective method is to always keep a water spray at hand. As soon as the bully began to bite too hard and let the claws out, splash water on it. This is the most terrible form of punishment for a kitten, which later forms in his brain the rule that if he bites, then water pours on him.
Every time a kitten behaves calmly, praise him and treat him with something delicious. But as soon as he begins to show aggression, just leave. Thus, ultimately he will understand that it is better to be obedient and get sweets than to bite and sit alone.
Not every cat breed can be weaned off from a characteristic behavior pattern. If a British kitten bites and scratches, it will be difficult to trick it, since this breed is considered the smartest. Plus, he will understand perfectly well that he cannot be bullied, but if he wants to stop, this is the next question.
Do not use your hands or feet while playing; there is a huge selection of various mice, feathers, etc. in pet stores. Tie one of these toys to the door so that the kitten will always have enough time to play enough whenever it wants. "How to wean a kitten biting and scratching?" - A difficult question, especially if you already got an adult. At first, such manifestations of aggression may be associated with the period of adaptation of the animal, but if such behavior continues further, it is worth thinking and trying to solve the problem.
Remember, cats very well perceive the human voice, so if you shout at the baby, he will understand that he has done something wrong. Conversely, if you talk with him affectionately and gently, he will be aware that all is well.
During the game
Often the people themselves are guilty of the fact that the kitten shows aggression during the game: hilariously watch the baby two or three months old, holding ears and lashing with a short tail, pounce on the owner's enormous hairy hand and chew a fat finger with fangs. It takes several months - and a large angry cat, angry that the owner has taken his favorite place on the couch, digs into it with claws, sharp as fish hooks, and can easily bite through an arm or leg.
If you want to protect yourself from the aggression of your pet, remember a few simple but effective rules.
Redirect the kitten's attention to another object.
If, being carried away by the game, the baby begins to move beyond what is permitted, divert his attention with a rustling crumpled piece of paper, a ball with a rattle, a long thin twig with a pair of leaves. Your pet will gladly rush in pursuit of a new toy, forgetting about your limbs. If this does not help, loudly, confidently, say harshly: “You can’t!” And reinforce the ban with a loud bang on a hard object - a table or a book.
One or two reminders are enough for some kittens, others begin to understand the ban later.
Some cats that are too active and at an older age are not averse to biting the owner in a friendly way. In this case, such a technique can help: if the cat clutches at you with claws and teeth, exhale, relax and stop struggling. This is very similar to what happens with a dead cat game. The animal will immediately loosen the clamping of the jaws, after which you can safely remove your hand. Do not forget to stroke your pet with your other hand and praise for obedience.
Who is guilty
The most common reason that a kitten bites your hands can be too early to wean him from your mother. The mother cat transmits to her growing offspring information that the owner is an object worthy of respect: he feeds, cares and warms, comforts if his beloved is sad, and joins the game with pleasure if he wants to have fun. Some cats trust the person so much that they literally pass the children into his hands - drag him to his knees, sit down beside him, and for the next one or two months the owner turns into a nanny. Kittens raised in such conditions will never show aggression towards humans. Even if they grab hold of the hand during the game, the claws will not be released.
It is quite another thing - if the kitten got into the house at the age of less than two months. Especially difficult case - when the baby grew up on the street or from the owners, who perceive the cat as a tool for catching rodents: keep it on the street and do not even give it a name. It is extremely difficult to tame such kittens, because a person is an enemy to them. It will take all your softness and a lot of patience before the baby stops hiding under the sofa when you appear and defend yourself from the hand that tries to stroke him.
Another important point: not all cats love to be petted. It is quite enough for many to sit side by side, purring peacefully, and gazing at their beloved master with adoration. Well, that is their right.
Often, scratching and biting hands - a signal that your actions are unpleasant for a kitten. Not only animals can be forgotten during the game. Often the man himself weaves a cat, grabs her face. In this case, I would like to advise you to imagine that they themselves have grabbed your face. It is unlikely that you will be pleased. Such a gesture in 100% of cases will provoke aggression from anyone! Especially do not like kittens when they are rattling the tummy. Aggression in response to this behavior - just the instinct of self-preservation. The abdominal cavity is the most vulnerable place in all members of the feline family, damage to it threatens the animal death. Therefore, the kitten, scratching and biting your hand with all its might, simply defends itself.
Sometimes we can inadvertently hurt your pet. Чересчур активное поглаживание, особенно против шерсти, грубое (по мнению кошки) прикосновение – все это заставляет маленького хищника защищаться. Бывает и так, что у котенка что-то болит, а вы неосторожным жестом сделали ему еще хуже.
Cоветов наших читателей
«Когда мой котенок в процессе игры кусал меня за руку, строго говорила ему: «Нельзя!» – и хлопала пару раз пониже спины. Обижался, подолгу «не разговаривал», но кусаться отучился. Сейчас это самый спокойный кот, какого я знаю».
“My cat loved to hold my hand with claws and teeth as a child. I did not twitch, but when he tried to bite the pain, he began to shout loudly. Immediately let go, and eventually forgot about it. ”
“I remember a half-year-old kitten taken from the street chasing my mom through the living room. Bite aim, throw - and you're in a trap. Helped only spraying the tail with cologne. Two - three days of fragrance - and never again attacked, but lived with us for 20 years. "
“Kittens do not like being teased. Some are offended, and future alpha males give surrender. Make it a rule to never tease kittens - avoid a lot of problems and save on Zelenka. ”
“I always keep in stock a few balls of different material. It costs the kitten to break out - throwing a new toy. ”
“I noticed: many kittens start to bite and scratch if they are hungry or thirsty. This is especially true of water. Make sure that there is water in the saucer, then there will be less scratches on your hands. ”
“My kitty for a long time perceived me as a mouse: it was worth making a sharp movement, as she immediately attacked. I tried to move slowly and smoothly with her. Of course, anything happened, but by the year this habit had completely grown. ”
“As soon as my booty starts to prank, I throw a woolen scarf over him. Immediately she calms down and then another two days does not attack. ”
“I found an original cat scratch remedy - a daughter's rattle. Just jump on your hand - I begin to rattle. Instantly bounces. "
“My childhood Scot looked so cute and teddy as a child that everyone wanted to cuddle him. He endured for a long time, became furious, and then got everything to the polls. I looked on the Internet for all about this breed, found out that they are not too fond of being stroked. Explained to the family. Fortunately, understood and fell behind. Now, when the cat wants to be stroked, he slips his head under the arm.
Conclusion: want you to have the perfect pet - study the breed. "
Causes of aggressive behavior of cats
The reason for the cat's aggressive reaction when it starts to bite and scratch are the animal's natural instincts. A cat is a predator by nature and origin, it needs to hunt and attack, therefore in the game animals often show aggression. Weaning a cat to bite will not be easy. However, there are other reasons that provoke the animal to rage and anger, while you should definitely wean the cat.
Why the cat scratches and bites, how to wean it:
- Out of fear. When a small kitten is brought to another place of residence, it most often begins to be afraid. However, it can bite and scratch. This behavior is simply explained - the kitten tries to defend itself and uses the means at its disposal - teeth and claws. To wean a kitten to bite and teach him to behave with dignity, the proper upbringing of the pet will help.
- From pain. A pet may bite and scratch due to severe pain - during surgery, injuries and bruises, diseases. The owner’s help and professional treatment will get rid of the problem, wean and correct the behavior of the animal.
- During the game. When playing, cats often begin to bite and scratch. The main advice to the owner to wean the pet from bites and scratches is not to give him hands and feet for games, but to use special equipment for the game process - toys, balls, balls and so on.
- Out of habit. If a little kitten behaves aggressively and the owner does not interfere with this behavior of the animal, then this can become a bad habit of the pet. Even adult cats love to bite and scratch, and weaning from this already matured animal is more difficult than a young kitten.
- Due to lack of motor activity. Homebred cats are limited in free space, so they move very little. Chronic lack of motor activity can lead to abnormal behavior - the cat begins to scratch and bite hard. To wean the pet, you should periodically take him outside and give him the opportunity to throw out the accumulated energy.
- Because of your own character and instincts. Cats of some breeds tend to behave actively, they constantly move and play. The animal often sniffs everything around; it can attack if it feels that an enemy is nearby. For such pets with an unbalanced psyche and an emotional character, a special cat's house should be purchased, where the animal will feel calm and safe.
- When a competitor. It happens that the owners give birth to several pets. The cat, being a courageous and independent creature, can begin to be jealous of the owner and pounce on him, scratching and biting. Either the animal may examine another small animal of a terrible enemy in the house and begin to defend against it, using its teeth and claws.
Beating a cat, even if it bites hard, is forbidden! This method of education will adversely affect the psyche of the animal and finally ruin the relationship with the owner.
How to wean a cat to scratch and bite
What you need to do to wean the cat biting and scratching? Beginner breeders and experienced cat owners have to understand this.
Rules to wean cats scratch and bite:
- never tease and do not anger your pet, do not allow similar behavior on the part of other people,
- Special toys should be used for the game, rather than letting the animal bite and scratch its own fingers and palms,
- you can suppress a cat's bite by holding the body or by squeezing your head, this must be done very carefully and carefully so as not to cause harm to the animal,
- acquaintance of two different pets in the same territory should occur gradually and measured, otherwise the conflict cannot be avoided,
- After surgery, illness or serious injury, you should create the most comfortable conditions for your cat to restore her health and improve her well-being.
To wean the cat to scratch, some experienced owners recommend using a large towel. When an animal begins to show aggression, try to scratch and bite, you should throw a towel on it. Repeat the action with a towel should be with each episode of aggressive behavior, only this can help wean the pet. Over time, the cat will stop biting and scratching.
Cat scratches and bites are known for their long and difficult healing. The fact is that on the mucous membranes, hair and skin of cats there are a large number of pathogenic microorganisms that can cause the development of infection or provoke a serious inflammatory process. Particular care should be taken by pregnant women, children and the elderly.
Some breeders use water that they splash on their bodies and heads when they are angry. All cats, without exception, frightened by loud noises. If the cat continues to attack and bite, you should start making loud noises - clap your hands, ring small things, shake a rattle, knock, and so on. A loud sound will frighten the pet, and several such repetitions will develop a conditioned reflex in it and it will stop biting.
Competent education against cat bites and scratches
Cats are intelligent and cunning creatures, they quickly grasp the connection between a simple word with a formidable intonation on the part of the owner and a bad deed on their part. This technique can be used to wean a kitten biting.
- When you try to bite, you should always do the same action and say the same word.
- For example, if a kitten starts to bite, then you should threaten him and say the word "no". Every time an animal tries to pounce and bite it.
- By showing perseverance and patience, with time you can wean a cat or a cat biting.
Another way to wean a cat biting is to isolate it from society after each attack on the owner or other household members. You can put the cat in the carrier and leave for a short time, you can simply close the pet in a separate room. Cats are curious and inquisitive creatures, so punishment in the form of restriction of freedom will benefit them and the animal will soon stop biting.
Even if the cat is badly scratched, it is undesirable to subject it to onychectomy, that is, surgical removal of claws. In some countries, this procedure is under a state ban!
When extremely negative behavior, when the animal behaves aggressively, attacks from around the corner, marks the territory and expresses clear protest, the cat should be shown to the vet. Nervous behavior is characteristic of animals during hormonal disruptions, in violation of the functions of the urogenital system. Remember that patience, consistency and communication with animals remains the main tool for the proper upbringing of a cat!
Trying to understand the causes of behavior
The character is laid in childhood, and if you do not wean your pet's bad habits in infancy, then you definitely will not retrain an adult animal:
- Maybe your cat is just scared? You bring a kitten to a new home, squeeze it, iron it. And for him, such attention is not only unexpected, but also frightening. Therefore, claws and teeth are used. What to do? It is necessary to eliminate the cause of fear. Leave the kitten alone, give him time to get used and get comfortable. When he realizes that there is no reason to fear, he will stop scratching.
- Aggression can be instinctive, associated with the violation of personal space. Often the matter is caused by other animals. A cage with a bird hanging in one of the rooms can irritate the cat so much that it will scratch and bite the owner. It is just an instinct. In the case of this type of aggression, you should not keep a bird (or another obvious irritant) and a cat in the same apartment.
- Sometimes a cat may scratch or bite too much during play. She doesn’t want to hurt you at all, she just doesn’t know what to do. First of all, you need to buy toys. You can throw them, drag on a string. The hunting instinct of the animal will be satisfied, and your hands will remain safe and sound.
- The little kitten attacks the feet of the owners, and they are touched. Some time passes, and already an adult cat repeats the same trick. Once you have not stopped this behavior, so the cat sincerely does not understand why you are no longer happy. When the cat aggressively attacks you, you can splash water on it from the sprayer. Repeat this several times and she will stop doing that.
- If the cat begins to scratch or bite, you can also clap your hands. A harsh and loud sound will serve as a kind of limiter and the animal will understand that it is doing wrong.
- If the cat still bit you, you can not sharply withdraw your hand. So does the prey - twitches and tries to escape. It is best not to move or even bring the bitten hand in the direction of the cat. She will let you go at a loss.
- A domestic cat may become aggressive due to a lack of movement. For a cat who constantly lives in four walls, the owner sometimes becomes the object of the hunt. There is only one way out - you need to offer active games to your cat, for example, forcing her to run after a toy on a thread so that she doesn’t have the strength to bite you. Or try to teach to claw.
- Cats have a very delicate sense of smell, therefore any smells can be the cause of aggression. You can bring them to the house, for example, on clothes. The cat smells a threat to its territory and can become aggressive. In the pet store you can buy a special spray and process some of the places in your apartment. These smells will calm a cat.
- The cat must have its own personal space in which it will feel safe. No matter what it is - a special house or box. Sometimes you just need to make the cat a place where she can relax, and she will become much calmer.
- A good way to stop a cat from hurting you is to ignore it. If the cat starts to bite you, you just need to get up and leave. She will understand that with such behavior she does not pay attention, and will stop attacking.
If you have a thought of a radical solution to the problem - removal of the claws surgically (onihektomiya), then drive away such razoderskie thoughts away! In many countries, such an operation is prohibited; unfortunately, we do not.
If you have your own tips on how to stop a kitten from biting and scratching, write in the comments. Perhaps your experience will help someone!
Remember that a cat is a living being for which you are responsible. In no case can not beat and offend her, you need to be patient and make contact. This is the key to mutual understanding with your cat.
We recommend reading our review of silicone anti-scratch pads, this can help in the case of an adult animal.
Video version of the article:
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription