Homeland Bobtail is the United Kingdom. The breed was obtained by crossing the South Russian (Ukrainian) Shepherd Dog and Briar. The breed was bred as a shepherd, and got its name for the docked tail. It is known that in England, shepherds paid tax to the treasury, which was calculated depending on the length of the shepherd’s tail. Huge and calm bobtails with a docked tail brought not only benefits, but also benefits to their owners. Officially, the breed was recognized in 1888.
The breed was introduced to the countries of the former USSR in 1970 and quickly won the hearts of dog lovers for their unusual appearance and docile nature.
Description of Old English breed
The big bobtail teddy bear has a calm and docile character. It is unlikely that there will be an even more balanced large breed, with the same high guard character. The dog loves children and is only clumsy in appearance. The dog gladly takes part in all active games, moves quickly and tolerates long transitions well.
Thick dog's coat protects it from any climate change, and the breed is suitable for keeping in an aviary. The dog is tied not only to its owner, but also to any member of his family. It will protect and protect the child during the walk and will not react to the neighboring cat running through. One of the most not pugnacious and good-natured breeds. But do not offend the owner of the dog, for his life she is ready to stand to the death. Read what else there are guard breeds.
Breed standard (appearance)
The bobtail dog has the following standards:
- Body. Square-shaped, muscular, with powerful bones. The dog belongs to the stocky type.
- Back. Straight, wide, without sagging from croup to withers. From the side of the croup, the back is slightly overestimated, the difference with withers is 1–1.5 cm.
- Paws. Thick, long, muscular. When walking, the movements are sweeping, smooth, while jumping - springy.
- Bite. Scissor, jaw developed, with large and sharp teeth.
- Head. Square shape with a wide forehead and developed brow ridges. The transition from the muzzle to the forehead is clear.
- Muzzle. Long, but without narrowing.
- Neck. Thick, muscular, the neck is well defined.
- Lips. Fleshy, black, without hanging down.
- Eyes. Widely spaced, oval. Eye color from light to dark brown. According to the standard in some colors are allowed light gray eyes. But bobtails with bright eyes have hearing problems. The dog's look is smart.
- Nose. Wide, black.
- Ears. Rounded, recumbent, tight to the head, have an average size.
- Wool. The whole body of the bobtail is covered with stiff and long hair, there is a thick downy undercoat that protects the animal from any weather disasters.
- Color According to the standard, the color of the dog is two-tone: gray-white, but there are bluish with black and white spots bobtails. According to the standard, brown and brown shades of coloring are not allowed, such dogs are disqualified from exhibitions. The best is considered a standard gray color with a white breast, head, face, front paws and tips of the rear.
- The size of the dog. Bobtail males at the withers reach 54 cm, bitches are smaller and grow to 52 cm.
- Weight dogs from 1 year old can reach 45–50 kg.
Characteristics of the Bobtail breed
Bobtail differs from other shepherd dogs in a good-natured and docile disposition. The dog is distinguished by the following characteristic breed traits.
- The dog is tied to the owner and difficult to endure betrayal. With the loss of family, refuses to eat, become aggressive and may die.
- He loves children and lets play with her like with a big teddy bear. In winter it is used as a sled and with pleasure rolls children on sleds.
- Good to train and easy to remember new commands. After passing ZKS easily copes with the protection of the home and family of the owner.
- The Old English Sheepdog at the gene level has herding instincts and easily copes with a cattle table of up to 100 heads.
- The breed is good to treat other animals in the house and will feel like a flock with a cat or dog of a small breed, will not touch them and will protect from other large breeds.
- Bobtail has a stable psyche and is not afraid of harsh sounds. Suitable as a guide and companion for a person with disabilities.
- Loves walks in the fresh air, but feels good in a small apartment. It is important to walk the animal at least three times a day. Evening walk should be carried out without a leash and at least three hours.
- The dog is not aggressive to strangers, and will not rush without a command or without feeling threatened. If provoked by a stranger can show aggression and bite.
- Rarely barks, has only the high barking characteristic of this breed with a hoarse note.
- During the walk, she prefers to be able to walk at a walking pace, but can take jogs.
- Does not like dirt, and belong to clean rocks.
Breed is suitable for the beginning dog breeder, but it is necessary to consider the sizes of an animal. A large dog will be crowded in a one-room apartment, and in summer the dog must be provided with a cool place.
Care and maintenance
The long wool of an old English shepherd requires special care:
- Every two to three days the dog is combed with a metal brush. If mats were formed, they are cut using ordinary scissors or a vertical cutter cutter.
- The hair on the head when combing keeps within forward. If the fringe climbs into the eyes, then the very tips are trimmed. Before the exhibition, the white hair on the head is whitened with talc or chalk.
- During the walk, the long hair on the paws and belly of the dog catches the burdock seeds, turns, and various debris. After each walk, the dog's fur on its paws, tail and chest is cleaned with a metal comb.
- The dog's ears are closed and tightly pressed to the head, in the upper part of the hearing aids a favorable environment is created for the development of staphylococcal infection and reproduction of the ear tick. As a prophylactic, the bobtail ears are treated with hydrogen peroxide. It is easier to wipe the ear with a regular cotton pad or gauze cloth. For each ear, a new napkin is taken, otherwise the infection from one ear will spread to the other.
- The paws of the animal are heavy with large and developed pads, which in winter are often injured on the ice and sharp edges of the crust. After the walk, the pads are lubricated with Panthenol, the wounds are treated with iodine.
- Because of the large weight of the dog's claws often break off. It is recommended to trim the tips of the claws once a month using a special clipper or with the help of dog gumerov.
- Eyes are wiped with wet cotton pads with a special agent.
A dog with a long coat during molting requires more frequent combing. Under street maintenance, the not removed undercoat provides reliable protection from rain, wind and snow.
In the house for the dog is allocated a separate place where the dog will be able to relax on his rug. Put special bowls for food and drink. Water should be available to the animal at all times.
Disease and Prevention
Bobtail treat breeds with strong immunity. A puppy until the year is practically not susceptible to viral and bacterial diseases, but as a preventive measure it is given a comprehensive vaccination with Nobivac DHPPi + L against plague, hepatitis, enteritis and leptospirosis. 10 days before vaccination, the dog must be treated for worms. Means are suitable for deworming: Drontal Plus from Bayer tablets at a price of 800 rubles; Lawyer from Bayer drops to the area of the withers at a price of 1500 p., Proxy from Bayer in the form of a suspension at a price of 450 rubles.
By the year, at the discretion of the owner, the dog is additionally vaccinated with the drug Nobivac R for rabies. All vaccinations and their dates fit into the dog's veterinary passport. Vaccination in the future is carried out 1 time per year.
It has a tendency to diseases:
- hypothyroidism - a disease associated with a malfunction of the endocrine system. At a dog wool grows dull, the upper part of the epidermis coarsens, cracks. The treatment is complex, the dog will be on maintenance therapy all his life,
- cataract appears with age. As a preventive measure, the dog is given vitamins to maintain vision, special formulations are buried in the eyes,
- dysplasia of the hip part. Manifested after 6 years. The treatment is ineffective, the dog is supported by painkillers.
With proper care, the average life expectancy of a bobtail is up to 13 years. Dogs that get vitamins and minerals and eat right can live for up to 15 years.
Bobtail training does not require much effort. The dog is easily trained in basic commands: Sit, Lie, close, Fu, Ko me. You can start learning as soon as the puppy gets used to the new house and its nickname. From three months the dog is recorded on early, where the training will be carried out under the guidance of a dog handler.
Dog to improve the guard skills are taught in the courses of protective and guard service. But pets ZKS nothing.
It will be useful:
Despite the impressive size, even an adult dog does not eat more than 4–5 liters of food per day. An adult dog is fed twice a day. Puppies up to three months fed cereals on milk formula. The number of servings per day is not less than five, with a break of 3-4 hours. The transition to the meat broth is performed gradually. First, one portion of meat is replaced with meat broth with porridge, then two, and so on until complete transition to regular food. From 4 to 8 months the dog is transferred to three meals a day. The portion should not exceed 1.5 liters.
In the diet of the animal on natural food products must be present:
- lean meat,
- vegetables, all but starchy and onions,
- offal: liver, stomach, lungs, tails, ears from cattle,
- eggs not more than 1 pc. in a day,
- dairy products: cottage cheese, kefir,
- cereals: corn, buckwheat, rolled oats, rice,
- sea fish and seafood.
Attention! Wheat groats can cause allergies in dogs, and should be given with caution.
Any new product is introduced into the diet of puppies gradually and in small portions. If the allergic reaction is not manifested, the product is introduced into the diet in normal quantities. But it is necessary to take into account the cumulative allergy, which is more difficult to treat and causes symptoms in the form of skin eczema, indigestion. If any of the signs of a new product, it is better to refuse.
Less hassle for the owner is feeding with special dry food. The following brands are suitable for bobtail: Hill’s Science Plan Advanced Fitness, ABBA Premium Large Adult, Royal Canin Maxi Adult.
A dog on natural or mixed feed needs vitamins and minerals. Vitamin complexes are suitable for a large breed: Wolmar Pro Bio Booster Ca, Unitabs Brevers Complex with Q10, 8 In 1 Excel Brewer’s Yeast.
The photo is a standard gray color. The dog looks like a big bear.
In the photo blue color with white spots. The dog looks unusual, and the color of its eyes can be from light gray to brown.
Almost white bobtails with a slight gray tint look unusual.
Olga: “Only outwardly similar to the big bear Balu, the breed is active and well guards the local area. It is better to keep it in an open-air cage, in the summer it is hot in an animal's house in such a “fur coat.”
Rustam: “Old English Sheepdogs took the very best from their ancestors. From the South Russian Shepherd Dog, the dog received an unusual appearance, intelligence and elegant wool, and Briard gave the breed a calm and good-natured character. "
Igor: “A huge dog with the soul of a child, all the time trying to get into his arms and needs attention and love. The dog is tied to the owner and listens to him implicitly. "
The average price for a puppy in Russia is from 45 000 rubles, in Ukraine from 20 000 UAH. But the cost may vary depending on whether the puppy has a pedigree. Purebred puppy is more expensive. But acquiring a dog without documents, you risk. A puppy may not meet the standards set by breed.
Outwardly, large and somewhat square dogs seem heavy and clumsy, but their appearance is deceptive. The movements of the bobtail are light enough, while jogging is slightly springy. The head is massive with a square skull. The coat is thick, long and slightly wavy, on the face a little shorter than on the body. The eyes and nose are small, always dark in color. Ears are tiny and almost completely hidden under the coat.
The limbs are long and straight. The tail had previously been stopped by standards, but today dogs with uncircumcised tails are also admitted. Bobtail color can be in any of the shades of gray and white.
Maintenance and care
Bobtail breeds can be better kept in a private house; an apartment is only possible if it is spacious enough. After all, they need regular walking and bypassing the territory. Bobtails are very peaceful, get along well with other pets.
In addition, they are very caring nannies who will take part in any childish pranks, and if necessary will protect the baby from danger.
Looking at the bobtail, you can immediately imagine how difficult the grooming will be, which, by the way, despite its length, does not have a sharp smell. Grooming is of two types: home and exhibition. Puppies are born short-haired and up to 2.5 years old manage to change their coat three times.
- First time at about 4 months. It is then necessary to teach a puppy to comb, which will be his companion for life.
- A more difficult stage will be the age of about a year, when the wool begins to fall into mats. Combing during this period will have to be at least 2-3 times a week, then a little less, 3-4 times a month.
- After the third change, bobtail wool is combed 2 times a month.
Bathe dogs as they get dirty. If animals are preparing for an exhibition, they take water procedures two weeks before the show. Dried woolhair dryer only in the mode of cold blowing. Particular attention is paid to the ears, they are periodically cleaned and cut, growing inside the wool. It is also recommended to cut hair between toes and paw pads. In the warm season, the dog is short-haired all over his body, otherwise there is a great risk of heat stroke. Claws are leaking as they grow. Carefully monitor the condition of the teeth.
Feeding a bobtail should be thought out, and the food complete. It is important that it contains all the necessary nutrients to the dog and consistent with physical activity. Preference is better to give natural food. Bowls with food and fresh water should be placed on a stand so that the dog does not have to lower its head too low. If you prefer to feed the dog with ready-made feeds, then, of course, in this case you should use high-quality holistics or at least super premium feed.
Lifelong pet pay special attention to the earswhich are a weak point of the breed and are subject to inflammation. Among hereditary diseases, there is some predisposition to problems with vision and hearing. Possible dysplasia of the hip joints. Life expectancy is up to 13 years.
Bobtails are large, muscular, square-shaped, strong, compact and harmoniously folded, stocky dogs, having a thick and wavy, but without curls, fluffy and shaggy wool. Having a good undercoat protects the dog from the winter cold and wind gusts, so this breed is perfect for the climatic conditions of our country.
The standard height of the stala of an old English shepherd dog is 61 cm, and the bitch is 55-56 cm. In accordance with the FCI standards, a bobtail dog has:
- head proportional to the size of the body, with an almost square skull and well pronounced brow ridges,
- strong, square, elongated face and large nose with rather wide, well developed nostrils,
- dark eyes are set rather wide with noticeable dark pigmentation of the bypass,
- small size, recumbent ears,
- large and powerful teeth with uniform disposition and regular scissor bite,
- long, strong and beautifully curved neck area,
- relatively short and compact body with a deep and well developed thoracic region,
- as a rule, fully docked tail,
- well-developed limbs with smooth, rounded legs.
The coat of the Old English Sheepdog should be abundant, with a good hard texture. Wool should not be straight, too shaggy or curly. The head region is well covered with hair, and the neck and limbs area are characterized by abundant wool. Wool color - any shades of gray, coloring "grizzly" or "blue." The area of the head, neck, forelimb, and lower abdomen should be white. Dark marks are allowed.
The energy of a pet of this breed is manifested not only on the street, but also at home. Such an animal loves attention, but may well occupy themselves. Bobtail, despite its impressive size, is a very gentle and loving owner, faithful and loyal dog, which from the very first days will establish itself as a real family member and a rather trouble-free pet.
It is interesting! Bobtails are characterized by a very well-developed instinct for cattle breeding, so they can easily keep track of even a few young children and all households.
Breed Old English Sheepdog is characterized as a strong-willed, having its own dignity and not tolerating a condescending attitude towards a dog. That is why experienced dog experts recommend training and raising such a pet from the very first days of appearance in a private house or apartment. The lack of such work can cause a rude and independent, masterful dog.
Bobtail content at home
As a pet, bobtails are trouble-free dogs, but are best suited to be kept by experienced and not too busy dog breeders.
This is especially true of show copies, as well as animals intended for use in pedigree breeding.
Care and hygiene
The coat of a dog like a bobtail is recommended to be brushed every day using a special non-electrified brush, and a standard comb is used about once a week for combing. In order for an animal to meet breed standards, the hair in the head area must be combed forward and it is characteristic to close the eyes.
It is interesting! that once dogs of such a breed were sheared at the same time as flocks of sheep, which made it possible to greatly facilitate the care of the four-legged shepherd and made their appearance quite attractive.
The complexity of the bobtail's woolen coat does not always allow them to provide competent care on their own, so many owners of such a breed prefer to turn to professional show grooms when preparing an animal. In the cabin, the dog's hair will be properly washed and brought into proper appearance, as well as trimmed claws and perform a careful cleaning of the ears.
In addition to proper combing, the wool of the show animal requires special, competent preparation.and. White areas must be additionally whitewash using chalk or special tools. To make the beard area white, it is necessary to wash the wool on this area several times a day with Chlorhexidine. It is also important to remember that the undercoat that is not removed during the seasonal molting process can form a characteristic waterproof cover.
Diet - what to feed a bobtail
The diet of feeding bobtails has practically no differences from the rules of drawing up a diet for a dog of another breed. If you plan on feeding natural foods, it is imperative to add special foods and a vitamin complex to already prepared foods.
When using ready-made dry feed, you should focus on all recommendations of the manufacturer of such a diet. It is very important not to overfeed a pet, because, despite the rather impressive size, bobtails just eat a portion of medium size.
The amount of feed and the volume of each portion must be calculated strictly individually, based on age characteristics, physical activity and the needs of the pet. Puppies of an old English shepherd should be fed often enough, but not too large portions. Approximately until the age of two months the mode of giving is five times a day.. As the pet grows and develops, the number of feedings gradually decreases.
Diseases and breed defects
Any dog with distinct physical or behavioral abnormalities detected is necessarily disqualified. The bobtail is distinguished by a predisposition to certain diseases, represented by eyelid turn, cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy, abdominal distention, hypersensitivity to ivermectin, and instability of the cervical vertebrae.
Such a massive pet can have hip dysplasia or autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Improper care of the long hair of the Old English Sheepdog can cause some skin diseases. In addition, as practice shows, the Bobtail breed is characterized by a tendency to congenital deafness and diabetes.
Buy a bobtail - tips and tricks
The growing popularity of bobtails in our country almost immediately affected the number of nurseries that professionally breed such a breed. It is important to remember that a purebred animal obviously cannot be too cheap.. As a rule, culled animals from unplanned matings or the so-called "half-breeds", which only outwardly resemble a bobtail, are sold at a reasonable price.
Where to buy and what to look for
A significant part of nurseries engaged in the breeding and sale of bobtails, is concentrated in Moscow and the region. It is advisable to get around a few responsible breeders of the Old English Sheepdog and get to know the dogs-producers.
In the nursery, they must, upon request, provide the results of examination of animals for the absence of femoral dysplasia and ocular pathology.
Bobtail dog price
You can buy a bobtail puppy not only in professional dog kennels, but also from well-established private breeders. However, it must be remembered that the average cost of a pedigree puppy of an Old English Shepherd Dog, or Warbail Old English Sheardog, cannot be lower than 30-35 thousand rubles.
The Old English Sheepdog or Bobtail is a very good companion dog, which is absolutely not inclined to unmotivated aggression. In addition to the very beautiful and long hair, the main distinguishing feature of this breed is the original waddling gait, which makes the dog look like a bear. Bobtails are animals that are easily trained and are not prone to hysteria, which allows even adult dogs to walk quite smoothly without using a leash and a muzzle.
This breed with the original appearance has a significant amount of energy, but at the same time it has great abilities and interest in education or training, which allows you to get an intelligent, understanding, moderately playful and not without intuition pet.
Important!Adult Old English Sheepdog is characterized by a very developed intellect, loyalty and loyalty not only to the owner, but also to all members of his family.
Despite its large size, the Old English Sheepdog gets on well in the same room with other pets and is not pugnacious at all. Bobtails are actively used by some lovers as sled dogs, which is due to the endurance and unpretentiousness of the breed. However, as practice shows, such a breed still gained special popularity as a reliable and very kind, loving children companion dog.
Bobtail breed history
The official beginning of the history of the breed of old-format Bobtails dated 1865when the giants first took part in an exhibition in the UK. Naturally, the birth of the breed occurred much earlier. According to the generally accepted version, Bobtail is a descendant of European herding dogs, brought to England by sea.
Again, as an assumption, the progenitors of the breed are called:
- Briard is a large French longhair shepherd dog.
- The South Russian Shepherd Dog is a breed that originated in the South of Ukraine. A huge dog with a long white coat, an extremely tough attitude towards strangers and a highly developed protective instinct.
No expert will claim that there were no other dogs among Bobtail's ancestors. It is known that name Old English Sheepdog meant several breed lines. On the images depicting English dogs of the XVI – XVII centuries, you will see light, elongated animals resembling greyhounds. Later, the breed was divided into a heavier line of English Sheepdogs and lightweight - modern Collies. Breeding was carried out by shepherds, drovers and farmers, for whom working qualities were important, and not the appearance of the dog. However, the surviving records already contained a description of the breed of a large, wire-haired dog, the puppies of which were taken to stop the tail.
The dogs gradually changed their appearance, becoming more stocky and long-haired. The appearance of typical Bobtails can be judged by the paintings of the XVII century, depicting large gray-white dogs with shaggy hair. Also, the 17th century can be called the peak of popularity of the old-format Bobtail. The livestock of dogs grew rapidly, especially in the South of England (Devonshire, Sussex).
The renaming of the Old English Shepherd Dog to Bobtail took place in the 18th century. At the beginning of the century, a meaningless and merciless tax on the maintenance of dogs was introduced in England, and the size of the penalty was proportional to the length of the quadruped tail. Who could get rid of dogs - did it, and not in the most humane way. Stopping Bobtail tails for the sake of increasing the chances of survival when fighting with wolves began to be practiced in the 17th century. Already in 1888, puppies of three species were born in Bobteyl’s litters - with a standard, short and short tail. However, the attempts of mankind are indifferent to genes and modern dogs are mostly born with a tail of normal length.
At the Birmingham exhibition in 1873, the Old English Sheepdog of the modern type was first introduced, and by 1875, full-scale breeding work began. In 1888, the OES canine club was organized and the Bobtail breed standard was adopted. By the end of the 19th century, dogs were clearly distinguished from other breeds and were highly valued for their working qualities. Thanks to their inborn calmness and softness, the four-legged were easily trained and alone coped with the movement of large flocks of sheep (200-250 head). It's interesting that dogs worked independently without needing shepherd commands. Drovers noted loyalty of sheep dogs to sheep, Bobtails quickly, but gently “knocked down the herd”, did not scare the cattle and practically did not bite.
By the 1930s, Bobtail was at the peak of popularity. In the UK, 390 breed clubs were registered, and then the crisis broke out and the Second World War. By 1941, only three dozen officially registered dogs remained in the English OES community; by 1942, there were five of them left. Obviously, the fate of the breed hung in the balance and, according to the “good tradition”, depended on not the indifferent activists-enthusiasts, such as Irene Webstern and the Telley family.
The breed appeared in England at the time of Ancient Rome, when dogs similar to the surviving descriptions were brought from the mainland of Rome. The dogs began to be used as guards and herders of flocks of sheep. Due to the nature of the character - good nature towards the owners and irreconcilable malice towards strangers - the Bobtails did an excellent job with the duties of the watchmen.
Supposedly, the progenitors of the breed are the French long-haired herding dogs Briards and South Russian shepherds, hailing from the South of Ukraine. As a result of the crossing of introduced shepherd dogs with these breeds, the Old English Sheepdog and Collie began to appear. For a long time, specific breed types were not clearly defined, since shepherds and cattle drovers were engaged in breeding them.
Breeders pursued the goal of working off the working qualities of the breed, and the exterior was not paid attention. But already at that time a large shepherd dog with thick, long hair stood out among the specimens received, which later became the ancestor of the Bobtail dog breed.
Gradually, the breed spread throughout England and became a symbol of British farm households. The name of the bobtail - "bean tail" - the breed received in connection with the tradition of cupping tails of puppies.
This action was carried out by farmers after the introduction in the 17th century of a tax on large working dogs, which was calculated based on the length of the tail. Officially, on the territory of Albion, the dog is referred to as the Old English Sheepdog.
The first release of the bobtail to the public took place only in 1864.
The dog clubs did not breed the breed, as they considered it not quite noble. The first release of the bobtail to the public took place only in 1864. The perception of the dog at the exhibition was not unequivocal: from emotion and delight, to complete rejection. However, during the working tests, the bobtail showed excellent shepherd instincts, which, in combination with the luxurious exterior, made it possible to gain recognition from official dog breeders.
In 1888, the first breed standard was approved and its official description was published. In 1993, in connection with the adoption of the Convention on the Protection of Animal Rights, tail docking was excluded from the official standard.
In Russia, bobtails have long remained a rare, almost exotic breed. The first representatives were brought into the country in the seventies of the last century. Gradually, the popularity of bobtails began quite recently.
Appearance and breed standard, photos
Bobtail is a large dog of square, symmetrical build. The main distinguishing feature of the breed is thick, long hair, evenly covering the whole body. The appearance of the dog corresponds to the climatic conditions in which this breed originally lived and worked.
Appearance shaggy and clumsy bear is deceptive. In fact, it is a dog with powerful muscles, able to withstand serious physical exertion.
- Growth from 55 centimeters for a bitch, from 61 centimeters for a dog.
- Weight dogs 27-30 kilograms.
- Head proportional to body sizes with a square skull. The transition from the skull to the muzzle is clearly defined. The muzzle occupies one second of the skull and a square shape.
- Eyes dark or multi-colored (blue and brown). Allowed blue eyes. Eyelids preferred pigmented.
- Ears small ones. Tightly pressed to the head.
- Bite scissor. Jaws strong, large.
- Body short with strong bones. The chest is deep, voluminous. Ribs arched. The loin is slightly convex.
- Limbs straight lines. The legs are long. Knee joints pronounced. Hock joints low. Paws are small, straight set. Fingers are arched, with thick. Hard pads.
- Tail docked.
Type of coat and dog color
Bobtail wool is hard, thick, with soft waves. The undercoat is possible in two types: short and thick, or long. Wool covers evenly the whole body. Hind limbs and croup covered in thicker rest of the body.
The undesirable color of a bobtail is any shade of brown.
Variants of color breed:
- Gray of varying intensity.
The body and hind limbs are painted in one color. White socks are possible at the bottom of the limbs. A white color is also possible on the head, neck and front legs.
Undesirable color are any shades of brown. Puppies are exclusively painted white and black, which changes as they grow.
Features of training
Bobtails grow and grow at high speed, so their active upbringing should start as early as possible. Training should be conducted benevolently, but firmly demanding the execution of commands. Bobtails are smart, so teams remember quickly.
Particular attention is paid to the suppression of the hunting instinct of a dog that is constantly trying to become a shepherd for everyone. The manifestation of the shepherd's instinct must be stopped by the command "You can not." It is also important from the first days to train the pet to perform the commands “Sit”, “Lie down”, “Near”.
Bobtail training should be conducted benevolently, but firmly demanding the execution of commands.
Teams need to be given calmly, confidently, clearly. After completing the command, the dog should be praised, treated to a treat. If the command is given, you need to ensure that the dog has completed it. At the command “To me” the dog can be pulled to its leash, the command “Sit” is performed by pressing the dog's croup.
At the same time, the presence of shepherd instincts allows the use of a bobtail as a territory guard. The dog must be trained in such a way that he would protect the yard both on the command of Fas and on his own initiative if there is a real threat to the person.
Important. Physical penalties apply when training a bobtail is strictly prohibited. The breed has a heightened sense of self-esteem, and it will refuse to execute commands and will cease to obey.
Bobtail - an obedient dog and all commands are mainly willingly fulfilled. She will not run away on a walk and will approach the owner at the first call, even throwing an exciting game. There are no special difficulties in the training of the bobtail. But the condition for proper training is the sequence of mastering actions: a new team needs to be learned only after the previous one has been learned.
Bobtail preparation for the exhibition
A special bobtail dog training is required if she participates in exhibitions. Pet must be taught beautifully stand and move.
If the bobtail will participate in the exhibition, it must be trained in the exhibition stand.
They take the dog for a leash and run a few laps around an imaginary expert in the center. Running should not be too fast, with the correct setting of the paws, next to the leg of the owner. Leash while running do not pull.
Then the dog is put on the left side in front of the expert, lifting her head. Бобтейл в такой позе должен застыть хотя бы на одну-две минуты. Такое упражнение выполняют несколько дней подряд по 2-3 раза в конце каждой прогулки. Время нахождения собаки в стойке постепенно увеличивают.You also need to master the run with the bobtail in a straight line, with a turn of 180 degrees, and in the shape of a triangle.
Bobtail character balanced, kind, understanding. Bobtail perfectly gets on with any other animals. She loves children, can play with them all the time..
These are dedicated dogs that love their master and are ready for much to please him. Training for them turns into a game, if the owner at this time is satisfied.
They do not strive to dominate the family and obey the leader without question - to the owner. It is important for them to be loved and needed, then they pay the same.
Coloring Old English Sheepdogs
The main coat color is always gray, but differs in gamma and saturation. White color or "gray" is allowed in any variations and drawings. The most common pattern called the grizzly - a dark back and sides, light chest, face and limbs are also allowed a mask or spots on the face. Primary colors:
- Dark grey.
- Light gray or blue.
- Blue merle - not fully dyed gray hairs. Most often, this color is associated with the blue Australian Shepherd.
Grizzly drawing does not imply a brown, red or red color, for Bobtail such a gamma is a vice.
Bobtail breed standard
- FCI-Standard Standard FTsI number 16 (06/24/1987)
- OLD ENGLISH SHEPHERD - BOBTEYL
- ORIGIN: UK.
- CLASSIFICATION FTsI: Group 1. Sheep-dogs and cattle dogs (with the exception of Swiss shepherd dogs).
- Section 1. Sheepdogs.
- GENERAL APPEARANCE: Strong dog, looks square, very harmonious and healthy everywhere. Absolutely devoid of high-legged, over the entire surface of the body is richly dressed. Strong, with dense muscles, with a very intelligent expression. Natural appearance should not be artificially changed by cutting.
- FEATURES: Great vitality, shows a soft rise of the topline, and when viewed from above, the body is pear-shaped. When moving by amble or step, typically rocking from side to side. Lai has a distinctive tone.
- BEHAVIOR AND TEMPERAMENT: Obedient dog of a balanced nature. Bold, loyal and reliable, without a hint of nervousness or unprovoked aggression.
- HEAD: Medium length. The cranium is massive, preferably square. Well arched above the eyes, the transition from the forehead to the face is well defined. The muzzle is massive, with a blunt edge, its length is approximately equal to half the length of the head. Nose large and black. Nostrils wide.
- Mouth: Teeth strong, large, evenly spaced. Scissor bite: the jaws are strong, with a perfect, correct and fully scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth tightly overlap the lower teeth and stand perpendicular to the jaws. Straight bite tolerated, but undesirable.
- EYES: Set wide apart. The eyes are dark or blue. Two blue eyes are permissible. Light eyes are not desirable. Pigmented eyelid edges preferred.
- EARS: Small, drooping.
- NECK: Rather long, strong, elegantly arched.
- FOREQUARTERS: The front legs are perfectly straight, with massive bones, holding the body well above the ground. Elbows close to the chest. The shoulders are oblique, already in the area of the withers than in the shoulder-blade joints. Loaded shoulders are not desirable. The height at the withers is less than the height at the sacrum.
- BODY: Correct, not stretched, compact, with well arched ribs, deep and wide chest.
- HINDQUARTERS: The loin is very strong, wide and slightly arched, the limbs are well dressed on all sides, muscular, the legs are long, well developed, the knee corners are well defined, and the tarsus are short. When viewed from behind, the metatarsus must be perfectly straight, the paws are neither turned in nor out.
- FEET: Small, rounded, lumpy, arched toes, pads thick and hard. Dewclaws should be removed.
- TAIL: Usually fully docked.
- GAIT / MOVEMENT: The step shows a bear-like rocking of the case when viewed from behind. At the trot, he demonstrates a sweeping step without effort and a strong push of the hind limbs, his legs moving straight along the line of movement. Very elastic gallop. At slow speeds dogs can trot. In movement, the head can be kept in its natural low position.
- COAT: Thick, hard structure, not straight, but disheveled and devoid of curls. Undercoat from waterproof down. The head is covered with hair, the ears are dressed moderately, the neck is thoroughly dressed, the front legs are well dressed on all sides, the back part is dressed more strongly than the rest of the body. Quality, structure and density should be placed above the length alone.
- COLOR: Any shade of gray, silver or blue. Body and back completely painted, with or without white paws. White markings on a solid plot are not welcome. The head, neck, front and abdomen should be white with or without blemishes. Any shade of brown is not desirable.
- GROWTH: 61 cm (24 inches) and higher for males, 56 cm (22 inches) and higher for bitches. Type and harmony are of the greatest importance and should not be sacrificed in favor of one height.
- DEFECTS: Any deviation from the above points should be considered a flaw or defect depending on the degree of expression.
- NOTE: Males should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.
The basis of puppy nutrition is protein food. For the rapid growth of muscle mass boiled lean meat is cooked, and from 1.5 months, boiled fish is added to the diet. Both fish and meat must be cleaned of bones in order to prevent injury to the walls of the small ventricle. For the formation of the bone and cartilage structure of the dog, cottage cheese and dairy products are an essential component of the diet.
Adult Bobtail Nutrition
Your pet should have constantly clean water in large quantities, especially in summer. A normal bobtail diet consists of a combination of meat, offal and boiled cereals. In addition to chicken and beef, your dog will be happy to eat liver or boiled fish and lean pork. For the development of teeth and jaws, boiled beef bones must be given. But the chicken and small pig bones should be excluded from the diet, since the splitting they can damage the mouth and stomach of the dog.
If you decide to organize the nutrition of your dog on the basis of dry food, then you need to choose only high-quality food from European manufacturers. This will avoid problems with the digestion and intestinal tract of your pet.
Bobtail care and keeping dogs
- Bobtail wool needs careful care - combing 3-4 times a week, cutting, washing with specialized products. When a dog sheds the combing of the undercoat, it becomes task # 1. A retired, but not removed, undercoat is guaranteed to lead to dermatitis, and even to demodicosis or eczema. Show dogs need a regular visit to the grooming salon, but according to the rules, Bobtail is exhibited in a natural way. The master must bring the dog's coat in order, without changing the overall shape of the silhouette, without sacrificing the length and pomp of the coat.
- Eyes and ears need regular care - daily inspection and cleaning as needed.
- Teeth is also a very important indicator of the exterior, remember that even the slightest yellowness will adversely affect the exhibition assessment.
Bobtail upbringing and training
The secret of bobtail education is simple: your kindness and patience. The main character traits of the breed are attachment to the owner, hard work and friendly attitude towards close people. However, a high level of intelligence and a strong will can make a dog too independent if not raised at an early age.
A kind and patient owner will be respected by the dog, and this feeling will further direct its behavior. The kindness with which you reacted to the dog, having sheltered it, will return to you with absolute devotion and obedience.
Bobtail is very hardworking and intelligent dog, its education with the help of confident simple commands and rewards will quickly achieve positive results. In addition to games with physical exertion, dogs of this breed perfectly master puzzles and educational games. Try using them and you will see how clever and persistent your dog is.
A faithful and educated dog will be able to protect you, and will unquestioningly fulfill your commands. Thanks to the natural kindness of bobtails, you can safely leave your children with a four-footed nanny and be absolutely sure of their safety.
The Old English Shepherd, the shepherd dog, in contrast to the shepherd dogs, does not require intensive many-kilometer walks, and this is another plus of this breed. Of course, a five-minute walk in a tiny front garden is not our option, but for the normal development of the muscles and for the well-being of the dog free range in the park is fine.
Bobtail for a walk he is able to occupy himself, "Cutting circles" around the owner, who does not necessarily get up on skis or sit on the bike. But there are some pitfalls here too. If on a sunny summer day the owner of the bobtail allowed his dog to frolic, say, in a meadow or overgrown grass lawn, then he (the owner) would spend the evening pulling out burdocks and other flora entangled in his pet's long hair.
Vaccination is carried out from the following diseases:
- plague of carnivores or distemper,
- parvovirus enteritis - the pathogen parvovirus,
- infectious hepatitis - hepadnavirus pathogen,
When to do the first vaccination puppy?
- In 2 months, the first vaccination. After the injection of the puppy can not be washed, overfeeding and display on the street. Immunity after the first vaccine is developed within 12 days, this period becomes the most dangerous for the baby. A person needs a lot of effort to alleviate the puppy's condition. After the first vaccination, the pups have a high body temperature, general weakness and diarrhea.
- After 3 weeks, a second vaccination is given to the puppy, but with the same vaccine. As a rule, after the second vaccination, the dog feels much better, but within 12 days it should be protected from other animals, from drafts and not walked out. After this time, walks are allowed.
- At 6 months of age, a puppy is vaccinated against rabies and a comprehensive vaccine against several diseases. It is forbidden to vaccinate if the dog's teeth change. You need to wait for the time until all the teeth are replaced, and then vaccinate the baby.
- At one-year-old age, the dog is given a comprehensive vaccine.
- Then, once a year, the dog should be vaccinated with the same comprehensive vaccine.
How to vaccinate a puppy?
Before vaccination, he should examine the dog, measure its body temperature, and only if everything is normal, conduct an injection. Vaccination is put either in the neck or in the thigh of the dog. The entire composition of the affixed vaccinations by a veterinarian must enroll in a dog's passport. It also indicates the date of vaccination, then the owner himself will know the expected date of the next vaccination.
Bobtail disease, symptoms and treatment
- Hip dysplasia - is quite common, especially in older pets. The main reason - a violation of the formation of bone tissue. Unfortunately, the disease is incurable and is accompanied by acute pain. Dysplasia can literally deprive a dog of a full life. Naturally, in veterinary medicine there are methods for maintaining and reconstructing the joints, but one cannot count on a complete cure.
- Demodecosis is a skin disease caused by the microscopic mite Demodex. The parasite is the “life partner” of all dogs, but attacks the wearer only under certain conditions. For Bobtail it is dangerous to delay the removal of the undercoat, the formation of tangles, splinters and other skin damage.
- Seborrhea - a violation of the sebaceous glands, followed by blockage of pores and hair loss. Bobtail refers to a small number of sweating dogs. Four-legged wool is almost always covered with greasy bloom and needs specific care.
- Disruption of the thyroid gland, often hypothyroidism - is accompanied by excessive fat, and after the loss of hair. Baldness occurs symmetrically. It is established that sterilized females are more prone to disease, due to the possible inhibition of hormonal levels.
- Vision problems - cataract, atrophy and dysplasia of the retina, congenital twisting of the eyelids. In principle, with the wrong care or lack of it, the eyes will in any case suffer. Elementary conjunctivitis can lead to loss of vision, due to hanging bangs and the rapid spread of infection.
- Congenital deafness - most often found in dogs with the predominant white or blue merle color.
- Cerebellar ataxia is a neurological disorder, accompanied by loss of coordination, trembling, convulsions (not to be confused with epilepsy). The disease is incurable.
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) - leukocytes (dog immunity) attack red blood cells and destroy them. Symptoms are similar to classic anemia - fatigue, poor appetite, metallic smell from the mouth.
The list is rather long and frightening, some diseases can develop in adults and older dogs, but from the experience of the owners, really well-groomed pets are sick quite rarely. Naturally, Bobtail puppies should be examined for hereditary diseases prior to sale, and should receive timely vaccination against viral diseases.
What should the owner of a bitch know?
- The age of onset of the first heat at a bitch is 6-12-14 months.,
- the duration of estrus - 20-22 days., sometimes up to a month,
- estrus frequency - 1-2 times a year with an interval of 6-9 months,
- signs of estrus - swelling of the external genital organs of the dog, bleeding,
- frequent urination - have to walk more often than usual
- psychological signs - changes in the dog's behavior - from aggressive to sluggish,
- perhaps a change in appetite and the dog drinks more water,
- often bitches before heat start to shed,
- intensely lick a noose.
How to notice the onset of estrus?
Approximation estrus can be seen during a walk with the dog. Behavior can change, often the dog becomes active, playful and disobedient, or vice versa looks unhappy and lethargic. A bitch makes frequent marks - odor "bait" for dogs, urination is more frequent. The loop is becoming more and more swollen, with pressure you can see the discharge of light pink or unclear pink. If you notice a change in the behavior of the dog, do not be lazy and check the dog daily for the arrival of estrus, kicking with a napkin or toilet paper loop at the bitch. Pinkish discharge and will be the beginning of estrus - mark this day in the notebook of the dog.
The flow of the first estrus in the dog.
- The first estrus in dogs is not the same as the following.
- It may be shorter or longer than the usual period of leakage.
- A bitch has either only weak manifestations of heat, or, conversely, very heavy discharge.
- The first estrus can suddenly be interrupted, and then after some time it can begin again.
- There may be mucous discharge from the loop, the smell that attracts males, and estrus itself will begin after some time.
- Try not to miss the start time of the first, and subsequently the second estrus, in order to correctly determine the intervals between estrus, know their dates and duration.
Precautions during heat.
If you are not interested in receiving puppies from a dog, you should take precautions during estrus:
- walk the dog ONLY on a leash: even the most obedient individual these days can just run away, not paying attention to the commands,
- do not allow the dog to enter the dog males: in the case of sexual intercourse, dragging them away is almost impossible,
- on a walk in the literal sense of the word DO NOT DRAW EYES from a dog, even buying bread in a tent, exclude or minimize contact with dogs,
- there is a danger of chilling the dog during the cold season, the best way to protect oneself is not to walk very long in cold weather and use dog clothes,
- if your dog lives in free mode in your territory, then since the start of estrus, close the dog in the aviary.
It is best to knit a bitch for 2 years, as well as dogs. Before two years, males can not be knit in any case. Early sex life does not add health to any dog or offspring.
- Before viscous animals need to walk well, but feed should not be. It is better to acquaint dogs in neutral territory, so that they can meet and run, and then lead to the territory of a dog.
- Mating is always necessary only in the male dog. Actually, the act of love can occur during dating, so do not interfere with the process.
So, you're on the territory of a dog. Most likely, no intervention will be required, and the bitch, playing enough with the male dog, will allow the cadre to be made to the persistent suitor.
After ejaculation there is a pinching. Male can be on a bitch or stand back to her. The animals will figure it out. However, if a lady tries to break free or lie down - do not let her hold her a little. Also try not to scare dogs.
It happens that after mating, the gluing does not occur and the dog instantly loses interest in the female.
Pregnancy Old English Sheepdogs and childbirth
From the first mating day to birth immediately passes from 56 to 72 days. It is advisable to mark the day of mating, to know how long the pregnancy is in dogs.Too early and too late childbirth most often leads to the death of the litter, therefore in both of the above cases it is necessary to seek help from a qualified veterinarian. The gestation period in dogs may be reduced due to the small number of offspring.
The number of litter increases when the dog reaches 3–4 years of age, then decreases again. The duration of pregnancy in dogs is not too long; it is not so easy to determine that the dog is pregnant.
Obvious signs of pregnancy in dogs appear at rather late stages. Neither the probing nor the appearance of the cat at an early stage of pregnancy will tell the owner whether the tied bitch is waiting for offspring or not. The first signs relate not so much to the appearance as to the mental state, therefore, to the behavior of the pregnant bitch. The dog usually becomes calmer, often shows affection and requires affection from others. Sometimes an animal may not even seem quite healthy.
If the pregnancy is proceeding normally, a specialist can establish a pregnancy by probing for the third week. At the end of the month, the dog's abdomen increases markedly, on the fifth week the mammary glands swell and lighten. Shortly before giving birth, the bitch’s belly drops. A characteristic sign of approaching labor is a copious discharge from the loop, yellowish or greenish.
Prepare also a “delivery kit”so that everything you need at your fingertips should include:
- old blanket covers or large disposable diapers (60 * 90) on which the bitch will whelp (disposable diapers are preferable - washing is less and purity is more),
- a lot of small soft cloths ironed with a hot iron and worn from old bedding (wiping puppies),
- sterile gauze napkins (usually without need, the puppy’s mouth is dried with a piece of cloth, into which, in fact, the puppy is taken),
- pen, notebook, scales, and thick woolen threads or ribbons (it is better to use floss, because the bitch knits and removes woolen threads),
- bowl for afterbirth,
- a box or bowl for puppies with a heating pad (wrap in a diaper) - this is in case the bitch behaves in labor restlessly and there is a risk of losing the pups ... the best option is a bitch giving birth with puppies at the nipples,
- sterile scissors and medical clamp (it is not necessary to boil; at the beginning of labor, place in a jar with any alcohol),
- milk chocolate bar
- antiseptic, better spray (Aluminum, Ksidikol, Septoneks) for processing the umbilical cord.
And Kit for resuscitation puppies:
- Cordiamin to stimulate cardiac activity (newborn droplet on the tongue),
- oxygen bottle (give a weak puppy a breath), it costs about 400 rubles in pharmacies,
- small rubber heater
- a small enema for sucking mucus from the mouth of a very weak puppy.
It will also take hours to mark the birth time of the puppies and a notebook for recording the details of the whelping (they will be useful in the future), in a prominent place is the phone number of your veterinarian. It is also great to have scales for weighing newborn puppies. The puppy's weight at birth, among other details, should also be written in a notebook.
Bitches usually whelp between 58 and 63 in the afternoon. Large litters are born earlier, and small litters a little later.
Before whelping, it is good to give the bitch a not very strong laxative so that she clears the intestines.
Komondor has one of the most unique and memorable looks in the canine world. These are very large dogs, besides pure white color. And their wool forms long cords resembling dreadlocks.
If you need a dog that will protect your family to the end, then the Hungarian Shepherd is a good choice. If you need a dog that can be released to walk without a leash, without fear for the health of neighbors, it is better to look for another breed. They can be a great dog for some, but not for most. They mature slowly and behave like puppies for quite a long time.
Buy clothes for bobtail now is not difficult. Many shops selling clothes for animals have in their assortment stylish and beautiful things for dogs of any breed.
Dog Nicknames: Names for Bobtails
Most people prefer to choose a short sonorous name for their dog.
You will have to pronounce the dog's name many times a day, and if it is too long, it will be tedious.
When choosing what to call a bobtail, you can use two methods.
- The first and easiest: open a list of the most appropriate names for this breed and choose the one you like best.
- Second: pick up an unusual name from other sources, for example, from mythology or literature, to name a dog in honor of your favorite celebrity or invent your own exclusive name.
Necessary care for bobtail wool
Luxurious bobtail wool requires careful maintenance. It is necessary to comb a dog 2-3 times a month, otherwise it will begin to fall down and form mats. If the dog participates in exhibitions, you can entrust the care of hair professionals. Bobtail grooming salon is recommended to visit once a month.
Important. Some bobtail owners comb their pet up to 5 times a week. This is not recommended: too often combing removes not only dying hairs. But perfectly healthy. This greatly impairs the appearance of the bobtail.
More carefully and carefully it is worth combing puppies, as they have a soft undercoat and the procedure is necessary for its quick update. Combing the puppies allows them to be accustomed to the procedure so that the dog that grows up later does not resist during the grooming procedures.
To comb a bobtail, a massage brush or a comb made of high-quality metal is necessary.
To comb a bobtail, a massage brush or a comb made of high-quality metal is necessary. The teeth on the comb should be long and not frequent, so that they do not get stuck in the thick coat. The combed undercoat is of very high quality and can be used for spinning and knitting warm products. The hair in the abdominal area is slightly shortened.
Scratching must be carried out correctly. The dog is laid on its side and begins to comb the spine, folding hair up and making movements against the growth of hair. The brush should not move through the air, but through the body of the dog, so that the dead undercoat is removed and a body massage is performed simultaneously. Paws combed the same movements - from the bottom up. Chest and belly can be scratched arbitrarily. Before combing, you can treat wool with a special conditioner.
For the summer, the dog can be trimmed, so it is easier to endure the heat. By winter, the wool grows and the bobtail takes on a familiar look. But if the dog participates in exhibitions, the grooming does not apply.
Brushing ears and eyes, clipping claws, bathing
Dog grooming is also carried out during combing. The excess hair from the ears are cut out. Wipe the ears with a damp cotton pad. Eyes dog rubbed decoction of chamomile or strong brewed tea. The nose should be lubricated with a special lotion. It is also necessary to cut the claws monthly.
It is necessary to bathe a bobtail 4-5 times a year, using a special shampoo for long-haired dogs. Frequent washing is not recommended, because after it the wool becomes too soft and quickly falls into clumps. In winter, the dog can not wash at all, as the wool is cleaned during walks in the snow.
After swimming, bobtail wool must be carefully combed.
So as not to wash the dog once again in slushy weather, it is worth taking it for walks in a special protective overalls. After summer swimming in the reservoir requires unscheduled combing.
Important. After walking it is necessary to wash the paws of the dog, otherwise the entire apartment will be in its tracks.
What to feed a bobtail, we choose the right diet
The breed does not have a special appetite and, despite its impressive size, eats quite a bit. An adult dog is fed 2 times a day, puppies depending on age 6 to 3 times.
The ideal bobtail diet is super premium premium dry food. It is necessary to choose brands that contain only natural meat components - Belkando, Bosch, Arden Grange, Innova, Origin, etc. These brands take into account all the needs of the dog and contain lines for dogs of different ages.
There are no unambiguous rules for organizing the feeding of a bobtail; each owner of the dog is guided by the local conditions and preferences of the pet.
For the proper formation of the bones, the puppy is given milk, and the adult dog has dairy products.
The general recommendations for feeding a bobtail with natural products are as follows:
- The basis of the diet should be raw meat low-fat varieties. A healthy, physically active dog needs 500 grams per day.
- Meat ration is supplemented with porridge on water from buckwheat, rice, rolled oats and vegetables (carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, tomatoes, beets). Cereals use crushed. Vegetables can be given raw. Rubbed on a grater. Very useful bobtail carrot, dressed with sour cream. A small puppy should not be given a lot of carrots and beets, so as not to change the shade of his coat.
- Once a week, meat can be replaced with boneless sea fish. Puppies it is given in boiled, adult dogs in the raw. It is worth considering that the daily portion of fish is twice the portion of fish. This is approximately 40 grams per kilogram of pet's weight.
- For the proper formation of the bones, the puppy is given milk, and the adult dog has milk products (ryazhenka, kefir, cottage cheese, low-fat sour cream).
How many live and what bobtails are sick
Life expectancy of this breed is 10-12 years on average. Bobtails have relatively good health.
The breed is prone to the following diseases:
Bobtails have relatively good health.
- Hip dysplasia. It manifests itself mainly in old age, when the destruction of bone tissue begins. The disease is incurable and causes severe pain to the dog, which literally deprives it of a full life.
- Demodecosis. Skin disease caused by microscopic tick penetration. Provokes the disease delayed combing undercoat.
- Seborrhea. Blockage of skin pores due to disruption of sebaceous glands. Bobtail is one of the sweating breeds, so it often suffers from seborrhea.
- Hypothyroidism. More prone to illness are sterilized bitches.
- Eye diseases: cataract, retinal atrophy, volvulus. Hanging on the bangs provokes the development of conjunctivitis.
- Congenital deafness.
- Ataxy of the cerebellum.
- Autoimmune anemia.
Important. Bobtails are prone to allergic reactions to analgesics and ivermectin parasite medication (it is part of Endogard, Otodectin, Ivermeca, Dironet).
How to choose a puppy, kennels and prices in them
Choosing a bobtail puppy, first of all pay attention to his coat and nose. The color of the baby should be black and white. Blue in combination with white - tribal marriage. The nose should be black with pink spots. Nose pink or gray is not allowed.
An important quality puppy - the right bite. The upper jaw should stand straight or slightly go to the bottom. Next, you need to observe the gait of the baby. She must be confident, correct. A puppy must be active, well-fed.