In the summer heat, long-haired cats have a hard time. Even their seemingly ideal thermal control system does not cope with cooling the body in conditions of global warming and extremely hot weather. A shaggy fur coat, which is so good in winter, is an extra burden: the wool and undercoat interferes with the normal heat transfer, and the animal literally languishes from stuffiness and overheating. But the solution is always - you can cut the cat!
Why cut a cat?
In fact, the procedure is quite popular and in demand in grooming salons. Yes, there are owners who bring their favorite Fuzzies to a haircut for the sake of victory at the exhibition, an extravagant look and cool-looking photos for instagram or social networks.
But there are those who know that these hairstyles have a lot of advantages for the health of their kids. What are the advantages of a kind of hygienic procedure:
- getting rid of tangles, which has become too much and it is already impossible to unravel them with ordinary brushes,
- normalization of digestion: unsightly and hanging hairballs, disfiguring cat, can cause blockage of the stomach and intestines if accidentally swallowed during the next lick,
- order in the house: after shearing the wool does not roll around and does not cause the owner bouts of quiet rage, when once again black pants turned into a shaggy hedgehog,
- easier combing,
- emotional balance of a cat and a person: you do not have to tyrannize your pet and freak yourself out of the daily tearing of tangled hair,
- deliverance from torment: in the summer the animal will cease to suffer from the heat.
By the way, the presence of mattes is the cause of dermatological problems: the skin under them heats up more, creating favorable conditions for the development of pathogenic microflora. The frequent formation of "felt balls" indicates a metabolic disorder or vitamin deficiency and requires consultation with a specialist.
Cut or not cut
It is important to understand that not all cats can and should be subjected to this procedure. So, a kind of contraindication are:
- colorpoint and tippingovoy coloring - wool during regrowth on the back and abdomen will be a few tones darker than before cutting,
- disgusting nature and violent temperament, when the animal is not amenable to any persuasion. Of course, you can cut it under anesthesia, but in this case, evaluate all the possible risks associated with the introduction of drugs: cardiac arrest, coma, failure of the liver and kidneys. In extreme cases, sedatives and muscle relaxants are used instead of drugs, but only after approval of the advisability of their use by a specialist and under his clear guidance,
- there is no sense in cutting short-haired cats without an acute need for it - the heat does not really interfere with normal life activity, and they never have tangles,
- Smooth-hairs are clipped only in extreme cases, for example, when they are wallowed in oil paint and the animal is easier to shave than trying to wipe off the stuck colored, colored wool.
What else you need to know about grooming cats:
- after grooming it is possible to change the structure and color of the coat,
- the process of regrowth takes quite a long time
- hair length can be less than before the procedure,
- Do not trim the hair on the head, mustache, inside the ears and on the paw pads.
Tools and accessories
To cut a cat at home, you need to be patient and prepare the necessary equipment in advance. The less fuss and emotions there are, the calmer, faster and without excesses everything will pass. So what may be needed:
- special trimmer for cats (normal and for hard-to-reach places),
- rounded blunt scissors, it is best to take a surgical,
- in case of possible injury, prepare peroxide, cotton wool, brilliant green.
The requirements for a trimmer are:
- quality and reliability
- power not less than 45 watts. It is especially important to observe this clause in relation to Persians, exotics and other owners of luxurious hair with thick undercoat,
- for other breeds suitable and less powerful devices,
- sharp blades that really cut and not tear out wool,
- blade length from 2 to 3 cm, otherwise you can accidentally injure the skin, especially if the haircut is performed by an inexperienced user,
- the device must operate on the network, which guarantees its stable operation without interruption and loss of power,
- better if the motor is rotary, not vibration. Although this is not important, especially if the cat is cut from time to time.
Instead of an electric unit, you can use the most common mechanical typewriter. It has several advantages:
- lower price
- no unpleasant noise, and therefore, the animal will be less nervous.
There are also disadvantages: the hairstyle can be asymmetrical, and the process will be long.
In principle, you can cut a cat at home with simple scissors, especially if you only need to cut ticks or shape individual areas of the body.
How to carry out the procedure
It is important to carry out all manipulations as carefully as possible so as not to injure the animal.
It is not always possible to completely cut the animal at once - you should not be upset: let the procedure be carried out in several stages, but all the participants of the “Mummery” will remain unharmed.
After grooming the cat should be washed and dried with a hairdryer. Although, in order to avoid unnecessary stress, you can simply wipe your pet with a damp cloth or a suede cloth to remove cut and stuck hairs.
In the cool season, the cropped miracle must be provided with a comfortable microclimate in a room without drafts and the possibility of hypothermia.
Popular cat haircuts
There are exhibition and home haircuts. The following hairstyles are ideal for home:
- a lion - all wool except the head, tip of the tail and paws below the “knees” and “elbows” is clipped,
- puss in boots - in this case, hair is left on the head, tail and on the entire surface of the limbs,
Show or model hairstyles are created by experienced groomers. Options "styling" set:
If a cat's haircut is not included in the plans or the animal stubbornly does not give up in front of a hairdressing onslaught, then you will have to monitor and care for your coat, as usual:
- periodic brushing,
- timely removal of matted hairs,
- the use of shampoos and balsams, contributing to the softening and leveling of wool.
Longhaired breeds must be given special agents to dissolve mats in the stomach, or they use ready-made feeds that already contain the necessary absorbable ingredients. And for the prevention of heat stroke will have to get air conditioning.
Well, the video in the topic, how to cut the cats in the salons:
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription
What tools are needed
Cat's hair is thin and thick, so simple scissors and a machine for human hair will not work. The tool for grooming cats is selected from a number of specialized groomer tools:
- Hairbrushes: flat metal comb, slipper (without droplets),
- Thinning shears (preferably) or straight with rounded ends,
- Animal shaving machine and knives suitable for it,
- Hair dryer with high power (with the ability to turn off the heat),
- Claw cutter,
- You may need fixing accessories (if the cat is not given).
An important element of grooming cats is the table. The person who mows the animal must approach it from any direction. Rubber, non-slip surface provides comfort and safety.
If a person has to bend over strongly in the process, pains in the back and neck begin. In addition, the table should be well lit. If there is no special table for groomers at home, use another stable table by placing a non-slip mat on it.
What kind of pet machine to buy
For shaving cats use quality machines for animals. The advantage is given to devices that work quietly. Most popular brands:
- Moser max 45,
Knives for the machine pick the same brand or others that are suitable for the selected model. Knives choose the original, for the same reason as the machine.
In order for the machine to work properly, the knives are gently brushed and oiled regularly (especially after shearing). If the knife is blunt, it is sharpened by the master, with the availability of skills and tools, this can be done independently.
Instructions for grooming a cat
Cats are sheared in a quiet, quiet environment, without sudden movements and loud noise. Harsh treatment, screaming and violence will ruin the cat's attitude towards haircuts. An important rule is the ability to predict the actions of a cat in advance. This will save a person from bites, and the animal - from injury.
Fixation of the cat is carried out as a last resort. If the animal is relaxed and allows you to work with it, no additional devices will be needed. If the cat bites, they put on it a veterinary collar or a muzzle of dense matter that covers the eyes and face.
Before the start of the haircut on a cat dress veterinary collar
Before you start to cut the hair, cut the claws on all legs with a sharp claw. If it does not save from scratches, the paws are wrapped with adhesive tape (tight, but not tight). This refers to extreme measures. Often he begins to get nervous after wrapping his paws.
If the cat resists any manipulations with her, she is given sedatives. Herbal preparations require a course (about a week), others act instantly.
Cat skin is thin and easily damaged. To avoid this, it is delayed so that the skin does not fall under the blades.
To shave the fur from the abdomen, the cat is laid on its side or asked by an assistant to hold the animal in the "column" position.
It is more convenient to cut a cat with an assistant
Step-by-step instruction haircuts at home:
- Nail clipping,
- Scratching (if there are no running mats),
- Shaving the body in the direction “from tail to head”, against the coat, with a knife of 2-3 mm,
- Shaving the abdomen and groin area (carefully avoiding the nipples)
- Shaving paws (bottom up)
- Tail trimming (against hair growth),
- Processing the remaining hair on the head, tail and paws with thinning scissors to give a neat look,
- Bathing with the use of soft shampoo,
- Drying with a towel wrap and a hairdryer with warm (or cool) air.
Many animals experience stress after shearing. Cats are hiding from the owners, combing the skin, refuse to eat. Some cats gnaw a tail. In a collective, cats may not recognize a trimmed cat.
In these cases, soothing herbal medicines, tender treatment and avoidance of mockery of the cat will help.
What to do when injured cats
- If the bleeding is severe, apply a tourniquet
- Blot the blood with a sterile cotton swab,
- Treat the wound edges with an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory agent,
- If the bleeding is not stopped, apply a dense sterile bandage,
- In case of serious damage, immediately consult a veterinarian.
How often shears
If the animal is clipped for medical reasons, the frequency is determined by the veterinarian. The recovery period of the same hair length in different animals varies from several months to a year. It depends on the length of the coat and the health of the cat.
Hygienic haircut is carried out as needed, but not more often than 2 times a year.
If the cat is sheared after molting, the wool grows faster than before. Some animals are sheared once a month, others are deprived of wool for the summer period. The frequency of haircuts depends on the preferences of the owner.
Why do they cut cats
They cut the hair of cats not only for beauty or grooming. The procedure will be useful for the health of your pet. Also during periods of molting, the owners will save themselves from constant house cleaning. The main reasons to cut long-haired handsome:
- Preventing or disposing of mats. The cat takes on an unaesthetic appearance, it has many dermatological problems. If the pet is constantly suffering from accumulations of wool, you should contact your veterinarian. Perhaps he has problems with metabolism and lack of vitamins.
- Normalization of digestion. A cat may suffer from the formation of hairballs in the stomach. Some of them regurgitate, and some cause stopping or digestive disorders and blockage of the intestines.
- Lightweight care. The owners do not have to spend hours to comb out the molting pet, as well as unravel the long wool.
- Prevention of the appearance of parasites.
- Reduced summer discomfort. During extreme heat, you must trim your pet.
- Prevent the development of allergies in children.
Smooth-haired cats haircut is necessary in extreme cases. Breeds that are recommended to prepare for the hot season: Persian, Himalayan and Siberian.
Reason to think
After shearing, the coat may grow a darker shade, and its structure also changes. Haircut grows very long, and not reaching the usual length. So, if a pet's aesthetic look is important to you, be prepared to do the procedure regularly after one haircut.
Sometimes an anesthetic is injected into the cat for a haircut, which is harmful to its health. At home, even relaxers cannot be used, which limit mobility and weaken muscle tone.
Tools for the procedure
If you decide to cut a cat at home, make sure you have all the necessary tools.:
- Ironing board or table,
- Special trimmer or electric razor - if you want to cut the cat with a typewriter,
- Regular and thinning shears (for grooming),
- Iodine and hydrogen peroxide to treat accidental wounds, cuts, scratches,
- Assistant, who will keep cat escaping.
For your own safety and preservation of the table, before carrying out the procedure it is necessary to cut the cat's claws.
To properly cut your pet, use this instruction.:
- Fix the cat on the table or ironing board. The helper should hold him in position on the side of the front and hind legs.
- Put a protective cap on the pet's neck. Trying to escape, he will not only scream, hiss and scratch, but bite.
- Cut the tangles. If you only need to get rid of lumps, you can trim the cat with scissors. However, removing them in the axillary folds and abdomen, be very careful not to injure.
- Trim the sides, back and abdomen. Do everything neatly, firmly pressing the cat to the table. Do not pay attention to the panic state of the pet. Remember that this procedure is good for his health.
- Armpit axilla, legs and tail, taking into account the model of the chosen haircut. Stretch your skin so as not to injure your pet.
- If necessary, trim the hair around your neck and head.
- At the last stage it is necessary to wash and dry the remaining wool.
His behavior during the haircut cat may scare you. Do not worry, this procedure only caused discomfort. After all, you violated the personal space of the cat, besides the buzzing of a typewriter or a trimmer for him is frightening.
Types of popular haircuts
Haircut cats come in two forms: home and exhibition. For home, the owner of a long-haired pet can choose the following options.:
- Haircut "Lion". Wool is clipped everywhere, except for the head, legs below the fold and tip of the tail. As a result, your pet will feel lighter and look like a king of beasts.
- Haircut "Puss in Boots." Leave the hair on the head, tail tip and paws.
- Haircut "Summer".
Make an exhibition view of a haircut at home is difficult. Therefore, if you want an extravagant model haircut for a pet, contact a groomer. In the salon you will be offered the basic options for haircuts:
The tail can be made in the form of a Christmas tree, tassel, panicle or squirrel tail. Often the owners want to emphasize the nature of the animal, its features. You can also find shaved or convex elements in the form of letters, animals, symbols on wool.
To properly trim the cat, you must follow the recommendations of veterinarians.:
- Cutting around the nipples, genitals and anus should take place very carefully. It is better to use a typewriter or a trimmer with a nozzle, as with scissors you can severely damage the animal.
- Cutting against the coat, you can get rid of the greater length. If you want to leave a longer layer, cut along the direction of hairline growth.
- The nozzle on the instrument must be at least two millimeters.
- You can not cut your head, ears, on the pads and trim the cat's mustache.
If the cat is too aggressive or you do not want to cut the wool drastically, just periodically comb your pet, remove mats, bathe it with shampoos and balms. To prevent strong molting, give it vitamins and rationally feed it. Чтобы избавиться от скоплений шерсти в желудке давайте специальные средства, которые вам порекомендует ветеринар.
Если вам важна гигиена и здоровье кота, ограничьтесь стандартными стрижками. Сделать это в домашних условиях возможно. Just remove felled wool or rid your pet of fur on the sides, back and abdomen. Haircutting a frightened cat is not an easy task. Therefore, be patient and call someone to help.
How often do you need to cut a cat?
Grooming a cat is an important part of caring for a pet.
Veterinarians recommend cutting the cat several times a year. Too shaggy, you can cut 3-4 times, the rest 1-2 times a year.
If your pet is furry, it makes sense to cut it before summer. After all, animals suffer heat. It is also necessary to take into account the molting period. It is better to do a haircut before it starts. To understand that a cat started molting is very simple, you need to slightly pull the wool. If there are a lot of hairs in the hand, this will speak about its beginning.
Before you start trimming your pet you should know some nuances:
- In no case you can not cut the hair on the head of the animal , in the ears, on the paws and whiskers. Cutting the hair on your head can disrupt your cat's orientation. And the hair in the ears protects them from dust and foreign bodies.
Veterinarians categorically do not advise cutting the hair off the cats head.
Before grooming a cat, make sure that her claws are also shortly trimmed. Otherwise, the animal during the haircut you risk being scratched.
Cat grooming machine at home
The machine for grooming cats is a real salvation for many owners.
Trimming the cat at home beam use a special clipper.
Its use will speed up and simplify the process. Unlike scissors, the machine you can not hurt your pet. But you should choose a device that works as quietly as possible. Too loud sound will frighten the cat, it will burst out and scratch, and cutting will become impossible.
- First of all, the cat must be fixed on its side, holding the front and hind legs. If the pet is aggressive and bites, it is better to wear a plastic collar on it for the duration of the procedure. You can also attach a binder (stationery clip for paper) on the neck. In this case, the cat falls into childhood, it seems to him that his mother keeps in his teeth, and he behaves much calmer. Sometimes, for too excited cats, they use braking, sedatives, sleeping pills or anesthesia during haircuts. Such methods can be used only in extreme cases and always after passing the necessary examinations. But this very unsafe methods ! Do not use them at home on your own. They can cause significant harm to your furry friend.
A plastic collar will help fix the animal.
Pieces from cat fur can be cut with scissors.
The cat is very aggressive
Haircut pet can take you a lot of time, do not expect to cope in half an hour.
If your cat aggressive, bites and pulls out it is better to shear her hair. Wool will remain longer, but this way you will avoid excessive aggression of the animal. Since the haircut against the coat even more annoying pet.
Can be several approaches
Do not try to cut your pet at once. Take breaks and stroke your pet in order to calm him down and help him to easily transfer the unpleasant procedure for him. After the haircut, you also need to be affectionate and friendly with animals. It should not be during the procedure or after it laugh out loud at the haircut. Your animal can be hard on this surge of emotion of its owner.
Combing and bathing a cat after a haircut
After the haircut is over, you need to comb the cat in order to remove the cut hairs and redeem it with shampoo for cats.
If the animal is too overexcited, it is better to simply wipe it with a wet towel, so as not to injure the psyche of the cat. If the cat is not afraid of a hair dryer, you can dry the hair using it. But in any case, do not use hot air, it will cause unnecessary stress. You can only use warm air.
At home, you can make haircuts such as Puss in Boots, Puma and French Lion. But if you want a more sophisticated haircut such as "Modern" or "Harlequin" better ask for help from a professional feline hairdresser - groomer . The professional knows his business, will be able to find an approach and pacify even the most obstinate pet.
The reasons why they cut the cat
There are several good reasons for hairdressing an animal as a necessary and desirable procedure. According to their purpose, haircuts for domestic cats are:
- Hygienic. This procedure is carried out in the event that the wool is tangled, mats are formed in it. Often, the animal can be very smudged. Pollution such as paint, varnish, building materials (plaster, cement, glue, etc.) cannot always be removed with water and shampoo. In this case, only trimming the hair will help.
- In some cases, hygienic shearing is resorted to in old and sick animals that are not able to care for the coat. Do such a hairdresser's procedure to avoid the formation of hair balls in the stomach. This is especially true in a hot period of time in order to avoid overheating of the animal.
- With a long shedding such a hairdresser's procedure can facilitate the maintenance of the pet.
- Medicinal. Appoint a haircut can veterinary specialist for some diseases. The following diseases are indicated: parasites (fleas, lice), dermatitis, infectious skin diseases, sebaceous gland hyperplasia). Cut wool allows more efficient treatment of the skin with drugs and significantly reduces the time of treatment. There is nothing difficult in how to shave a cat with a medical purpose.
- Decorative or model haircuts. This type of hairdressing in relation to the domestic cat - the whim of the owner, is nothing but a tribute to fashion. Through the original haircut, the owner expresses the features of feline character and character, individuality.
- Exhibition. Special haircut, which is carried out to give the animal forms of the breed standards.
The most high-quality haircut is produced, of course, in the cabin. Grooming specialists use special tools and devices that do not damage the skin. But the owner will be useful to know how to mow the cat himself at home, so as not to overpay every time.
For information on how cats are trimmed in the cabin, see this video:
How often to conduct hairdressing procedures
The regularity of shearing is determined by the intensity of the growth of the coat. As a rule, wool grows from 3 to 6 months. The growth rate of coat is influenced by the breed of the animal, its age, and its state of health.
The average cat is recommended to cut no more than 2 - 3 times a year. If the procedure is associated with the removal of mats, then it is carried out as they are formed. Model haircuts can be done more often, but the state of coat, season of the year and the health of the pet should be taken into account. Hygienic and therapeutic haircuts are carried out, as a rule, as needed.
Some nuances that may occur after the haircut
Owners are often wondering what will happen if you cut the cat, especially for the first time. Cat lovers should know that after cutting the coat, not only the structure of the coat, but also the color often changes. Pets with colorpoint and tipping should not be cut due to darkening of the hair in the abdomen and back.
a) Color variation of a color point, b) Solid blue color with a distinct silver tint (hair tips have silver tipping)
Regular haircuts can lead to the fact that the wool does not grow back to normal length. After the hairdressing procedures, the new fur coat may become thinner, more quickly roll down into mats.
The result of self-cutting is often trauma to the skin. Increases the risk of inflammatory processes.
What is needed for the procedure
Before you get puzzled by the question of how to mow a cat yourself, the owner should stock up on the necessary devices and tools. Home grooming will require a high, stable table on which you can comfortably position an animal. Also for these purposes amiss a wide ironing board.
As a hairdressing tool, scissors with a non-sharp edge, a clipper are needed. Owners who master home grooming are often interested in what they do to cut cats in the cabin and at home. There are many trimmers for grooming cats. There is a tool designed specifically for cutting long-haired breeds. It differs in sharpening the blades and does not injure the delicate skin of the animal.
If the pet is afraid of an electric machine, it is better to use scissors or a manual clipper. Care should be taken when working, since the risk of injury by such an instrument is high.
For combing wool during the haircut will need a comb. For this purpose it is better to purchase a rare comb. All tools must be individualized. Before the procedure, it is desirable to treat the cutting surface with any disinfecting solution.
It is impossible to conduct a quality independent grooming of your pet without an assistant. You can purchase a special collar that protects the wearer from bites from a disgruntled pet.
Restless cat is better to cut in a veterinary clinic, where she will be given sedatives if necessary. At home, use any sedative drugs can not.
Before you cut the cat's fur, you should stock up with disinfectant solutions, for example, hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine to handle possible cuts.
How to cut
Before the hairdresser's manipulation, the animal should be bathed with shampoo and conditioner. It is best to conduct a water treatment for 2 - 3 days before the haircut. This will facilitate combing and the process of creating hair. To avoid injury, you should also cut the claws or wear special protective pads on the claws.
Haircut is necessary with an assistant. How to mow a cat with a typewriter has its own rules, the fulfillment of which will greatly facilitate the owner’s task:
- With the help of a machine, wool is removed from the sides, back and belly of a pet. As a rule, apply the nozzle number 3, which corresponds to 3 mm. Especially carefully it is necessary to process a zone of a stomach. The area of the crotch and the nipples is better to shave out with scissors.
- Cut the coat in the armpits, changing the nozzle by 2mm. Then cut back the torso.
- The tail is either not trimmed at all, or the “brush” is left at the end.
- They cut the hair on the paws, forming either short “socks” or longer “socks”.
- The shape of the hairstyle on the head, if necessary, make scissors.
- Scissors trim the mane and "brush" on the tail.
If you have to decide how to mow a cat with scissors, if you don’t have a typewriter, then in this version you should prepare for a little more difficulty. With the help of scissors, as a rule, the wool is trimmed after clipping. Hairstyle is the same when using this tool will be uneven and unaesthetic.
After shearing, the animal must be bathed, wiped with wet wipes and dried using a hair dryer.
How to cut a cat at home, see this video:
The fantasy of the owner and the professionalism of the hairstyle specialists make it possible to give the animal a wide variety of images: from the majestic lion to the creative Dragon Dinosaur. The most common and popular haircuts among cat owners are: Leo, Puma, Harlequin, Modern, Continental haircuts.
This type of haircut can be called universal, as it is often used for hygienic purposes, and as a model hairstyle. The option is advisable to choose a hot summer. There are not many difficulties in how to mow a cat with a typewriter “under the lion”. Wool is clipped with a tool on the whole torso. The coat on the limbs is left unchanged in the form of "socks" or "golf." The base of the tail is cut off, at the end is formed a "brush" or "whisk".
Dragon exotic haircut is an unusual Mohawk on the back of an animal. To give the pet an original look, the head is not clipped, the fur coat is cut off on the body. Along the spine and tail, shearing of the coat is made in the form of triangles. You can also leave shreds of wool and other shapes, it all depends on the owner’s imagination and the groomer's professionalism.
Exhibition types of haircuts
Such haircuts as Harlequin, Modern, Continental, do, as a rule, show animals. If the animal takes part in the exhibition, the cats will be sheared in this case, as for a fashion show. The purpose of such procedures is to emphasize the exterior features of the animal and, if possible, to hide the existing shortcomings. Such hairstyles make the pet yourself from the owner will not work. This complex grooming requires experience and professional approach and can only be performed by a master in a specialized salon.
Pet grooming for therapeutic and hygienic purposes cat owner can do himself. To do this, you need to know certain rules and be patient. Exhibition and decorative hairstyles are best left to professionals.
Welcome to zootvet.ru! Here you can consult with an experienced veterinarian, as well as get information about your pet's illness. Ask your questions and we will be happy to answer them within 24 hours!
Information on this site is provided for reference purposes only. Do not self-medicate. At the first sign of illness of your pet, immediately contact your veterinarian.