The Scottish cat should be combed out using a special device - a furminator. The device will remove dead hair and give the animal an attractive appearance. You can also brush your pet's fur with a special brush, just use it several times a week. Such treatments prevent tangling of animal hair and the formation of hairballs in the stomach. If necessary, acquire pasta for removing lumps. Bathing a Fold Scot is no more than once in 1-2 months using shampoos.
To the daily care include hygienic procedures: a tampon or napkin moistened with clean water, wipe the eyes and nose of the animal. Cat's ears are cleaned with cotton buds once a week. Brushing your teeth to do daily or several times a week with a paste with meat smells and brushes. Cats need this need for natural feeding.
Ready-made pet food helps clean the enamel right in the process of eating. However, it is necessary to examine the oral cavity in order to avoid unpleasant odors, inflammation of the gums and tartar. It is advisable to carry out the procedures of brushing, washing and combing from the first months of the cat's life. In the future, the animal will not be subject to stress and will take care of the processes for granted.
Leisure for a pet, each owner can organize independently, or use the assortment of the store. It will require a sharpener for claws, so that the animal does not spoil the furniture and wallpaper in the apartment, as well as cat toys. Scots love the attention and care of people, communication with animals should not be neglected. The cat will be able to rest on the stove open or closed. Near the stove bench can be placed tray with wood or clay filler. The owner is constantly required to monitor the cleanliness of the tray, lop pets are clean animals and an unpleasant smell leads to the search for a new place for toilet needs.
Feeding and pet foods
Small kittens from two to four months eat food up to six times a day. The kitten will mature and in the period of 4-6 months feeding will be reduced to four times. In the age period of 6-8 months, Scottish cats eat food three to four times a day. Closer to the year the pet goes to two meals a day, in the morning and in the evening. Water for a pet is regularly changed to clean at least once a day.
Scottish fold eaters are divided into natural, industrial, or mixed. Each diet has positive and negative points:
- Natural food that the owner prepares specifically for the pet. Meat is used low-fat varieties, mainly from chicken, rabbit, veal. Meat can be boiled or given raw. It is necessary to chop the product and warm it slightly. As a rule, meat products are mixed with boiled or raw vegetables. Suitable for cat cabbage, zucchini, pumpkin, carrots. You can also mix the meat with bran or buckwheat, oatmeal, rice cereals. Meat is sometimes replaced by the liver, heart, stomachs. To do this, boil and grind, then mixed with vegetables, cereal. You can lightly fill the pet dish with sunflower, olive, linseed oil. Greens are necessary in the diet of the animal, you can give parsley, lettuce leaves. Fish products do not give more than twice a week. Fish for the Scotsman choose only sea, boil and finely chop, rid of the bones. Every day you can give fermented milk products, choosing low-fat varieties of yogurt, cottage cheese, ryazhenka, kefir. Sour cream, cream or milk is better not to use in the diet of the pet. Vitamins are useful to give in the autumn and spring season, which will compensate for the lack of minerals and amino acids. Vitamins are prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Industrial food is divided into dry prepared food and wet. This option saves time for the owner, you only need to open a can before eating. Interested in the composition is recommended before purchase. A small amount or the complete absence of meat in the product, as well as the presence of animal, vegetable fats and cereals - possibly with cheap and poor-quality production. Such nutrition will adversely affect the health of the animal. Choose a better feed with a premium or extra grade.
- Mixed cat food contains the alternation of industrial food with natural food. For example, in the morning to feed the Scotsman finished products, and in the evening to cook natural food. Many owners have a negative attitude to mixed feeding, believe that the combination leads to difficult digestion of the pet.
Lop-eared Scots love purity, products should be given only in clean bowls and fresh. Overfeeding an animal leads to overweight, diseases of the heart and blood vessels, disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Ready meals for the Scottish Fold cat should be used in accordance with the pet's age.
THANK YOU FOR WHAT SHARE THE ARTICLE ON SOCIAL NETWORKS
Before the appearance of the kitten in the house
Scottish Fold kittens are ready to part with mom-cat in about 2-3 months. Before such a kitten appears in your home, you need to prepare for this joyful event.
To do this, you need to purchase: dishes from which your pet will eat and drink, the material should be porcelain or stainless steel, you can use food-grade plastic, as well as a tray with filling and a house, toys can be purchased later. It will not be superfluous to learn about the diet from breeders, this will allow the kitten to more easily adapt in your home.
It is interesting! To visit the vet and make trips to the country, it is also necessary to purchase a spacious carrier. You will also need to buy a sharpener for claws, however, it can be done independently. To do this, you can take a simple board or log and wrap it with a rope, securing it in a circle.
Care for a kitten
Care for Scottish Fold kittens is easy. Wool does not need special care, it is enough to comb it once a week, just rinse eyes every 5-7 days. The only thing worth paying attention to is caring for the ears. This issue should be taken very carefully. That ears are the hallmark of this breed of cats, but at the same time and weak point.
Eye Examination and Cleaning
If the eyes are healthy, then there is no special need for rinsing, you just need to keep them clean. But if the eyes are inflamed, they should be washed 2-3 times a day, this can be done with plain water, a weak solution of chamomile or a cured remedy. To do this, use a cotton swab or a soft cloth. If inflammation lasts more than a week, then you need to contact a specialist.
Cleaning the ears
You need to do this procedure two or three (maybe more often) times a month.. Use a cotton swab moistened with a special liquid for cleaning. The procedure should be carried out carefully so as not to damage the auricle.
It is interesting! Cotton swabs are better not to use, but the usual cotton swabs just fit. To turn and pull the ears should not, as this may hurt the kitten and he will be afraid of this procedure. If the ears are healthy, then there is no discharge, there may be a small amount of earwax.
The presence of a thin brown crust in the ears is an alarming sign, it indicates the presence of an ear tick. In this case, a visit to the vet is indispensable. Treatment will be long with a special solution. If the time to take action, the prognosis is favorable.
In order for your Scottish Fold kitten to be beautiful and well-groomed, you need to keep an eye on your coat, it is quite easy. For proper care of the coat, use a special brush or silicone glove. During the molting period, combing is recommended once a week, the rest of the time it will be enough once every two weeks. While in the country, you should pay special attention to this procedure, carefully examine the animal every day for ticks and other parasites.
Scottish fold kittens should be taught water procedures from childhood. To do this, they should be gradually moistened with a wet towel, then give your pet a treat, so that it develops a reflex that the bath is not a problem. In the future, you can safely wash the kitten. Especially active kittens are recommended to protect in a special way before taking a bath. To do this, it is necessary to cover the ears with tampons. or they can simply be covered with hands to prevent water from entering. Eyes also need protection, you can even drip in them a special protective oil, but this is not necessary.
Important! The water should be warm, about 36 degrees. Too cold water will cause hypothermia and your Scottish Fold kitten will get sick. Hot water is also harmful, because of the increased temperature of the animal, the heartbeat will increase and breathing will become more difficult. In the end, your pet will not tolerate uncomfortable conditions and will flee from the bathroom.
When washing a Scottish Fold kitten, it is necessary to use shampoo for cats, and then its wool will be healthy and shiny. Means for people will not work, they will cause irritation of the skin and worsen the condition of the coat, in severe cases, dermatitis is possible.
Very sharp, thin kitten claws should be trimmed with special nippers for small animals.. The advantage of such a tool is that they give a straight cut without splitting a claw - this is very important! When caring for the kitten's claws, only its very tip is removed. In no case can damage the blood vessel, it will bring severe pain and can lead to the most negative consequences. In this case, a simple rule works: it is better to cut off a little, than too much.
Nutrition, ration feature
To the power of Scottish Fold kittens should be approached thoroughly. Do not worry if your Scottish Fold kitten has a bad appetite at first. This is most likely due to the fact that he was not yet used to a new place. Food should not be given immediately from the refrigerator; it should be at room temperature. At the age of 2-4 months, babies are often fed - 5 times a day. When the kitten reaches 4-8 months, it is fed 3 times a day.
After 8 months you need to feed 2 times a day, like an adult cat. The kit of products for kittens must necessarily include meat (beef), poultry (turkey, chicken), game can be given only in boiled form. You can give eggs, but only in boiled form, and only the yolk. Vegetables can be given cabbage and grated carrots. For the full development of the Scottish fold kittens should be given dairy products.
You can also feed lop-eared kittens with premium and super premium class feeds. They contain the vitamins and minerals necessary for your pet in a balanced way. Categorically it is impossible to give smoked, fried and salty, also sausages and any human food. This will undermine the health of the developing organism Scottish Fold kitten.
Scottish Fold kittens are famous for their calm temper, they are intelligent and very friendly. The kitten pretty quickly gets used to the new place, the owner and his family members, gets along well with other pets. From the very first days of your baby’s stay in your home, you need to firmly define what you can’t do. Climbing on the table, in the closet and other unwanted places, tearing the walls and climbing the curtains - this should be stopped.
It must be said loudly and strictly “not allowed” and a little slap the kitten, but you cannot beat him. There will be no benefit from this, but on the contrary, then an aggressive and fearful animal will grow out of it. Scottish Fold kittens need to communicate, they need to play and talk. Without proper attention you will grow unsociable and too closed the cat.
Scrub to toilet, tray
Kittens themselves often understand what the tray is for and quickly begin to use it for its intended purpose. If this does not happen, and your pet began to do "his business" in the wrong place, do not scold or beat the kitten. He should be seated in a tray before he wants to go to the toilet, and it’s easy to guess this moment: any cat starts digging a hole.
Since cats are guided by smell, the tray should not be washed the first day, this will help your pet get used to the toilet more quickly. As a filler, you can use wood chips or sand, but it is troublesome, because from such funds a lot of dirt, it is better to use modern, from the pet shop. Many owners successfully use the tray, even without filler, which is much more practical and more economical for the budget.
The first vaccination Scottish Fold kitten must be done at the age of 3, 5 months. You must first treat the animal from worms and fleas. It is also very important that the kitten is completely healthy before vaccination.
It is interesting! As a rule, they put in place an imported or domestic polyvalent vaccine that protects against such dangerous diseases as plague, calicivirus infection, viral rhinotracheitis, chlamydia.
The vaccination is put twice, with a three-week break, and then repeated every year.. Adult cats receive an annual rabies vaccine. Kittens still recommend vaccination against ringworm, it is put in age from 3 months to six months. All marks of vaccination must be made in the veterinary passport of the animal. This is necessary in order to avoid problems when leaving the region.
How to care for wool?
Caring for a Scottish Fold kitten includes grooming. Such a pet should be periodically combed out with a special brush (with frequent or sparse teeth, depending on the length of the coat). It is desirable that there is a natural pile.
Tangled wool should be unraveled using lotion. Pieces, if they appear, are cut off.
Caring for a Scottish Fold kitten includes washing a pet. This should be done rarely: no more than once every three months. Of course, if the kitten gets dirty, then do not do without washing.
The first bathing should be carried out carefully, so as not to frighten the animal.
Inspection and cleaning of the teeth of a small kitten
It is necessary to periodically inspect the teeth. If you carry out hygiene, you can prevent the occurrence of many diseases. It is necessary to clean the plaque using a special brush and paste.
It is necessary to accustom to procedure since the childhood. At first, use just a brush, then moisten it with a paste. Relatively soon, the pet will get used.
Care for the Scottish Fold kitten: food and diet
You can feed your pet with natural food. The basis of the diet must be the following products:
• turkey meat,
• eggs (once a week one),
• chicken meat,
• dairy non-fatty products.
In no case do not give the kitten fatty pork, smoked meats, sweets. River raw fish should not be added to food. Fat dairy products, too, should not be included in the kitten's diet.
How to feed the finished food? If you want a full-fledged care for the Scottish fold kitten, pick quality food. It is advisable to choose super premium class products. In this case, the animal should always be clean water.
Vitamins, of course, should be given to the kitten during the first six months, and preferably the whole first year. Which drugs to choose? In this matter you need to consult with a veterinarian. He will definitely be able to choose the best option for vitamins.
These animals need special eye care. Some Scottish Folds suffer from intense tears. Excretions accumulate around the eyelids, deposited on the coat.
For washing, you can use special veterinary drugs, for example, liquid "Diamond Eyes", but you can do with a weak tea brew or ordinary boiled water. Wet a cotton pad and gently slide it from the outer corner of the eye to the nose. If it was not possible to remove all the mucus from the first time, change the disc and repeat the procedure from the beginning. Remember: for each wipe you need to use a clean swab.
Every few months, the cat needs to be bathed. This breed treats water calmly, and kittens, accustomed to washing from childhood, can even ask themselves to the bathroom. Do not use human shampoos and gels. There are special veterinary drugs. They eliminate fleas and other parasites, and most importantly, do not harm the health of the cat.
- Before bathing, take two pieces of cotton and cover the animal's ears with them, otherwise water will get into them.
- Do not use a hose: a tight stream of water may scare the cat.
- Scottish fold bathing water should be slightly warmer than room temperature - 30 - 35⁰С. Make sure that it does not cool.
- After wetting the coat, gently soap first the back with the sides, then the belly, the paws and the tail. At the very least apply shampoo on your face. Но будьте осторожны: попав в глаза, шампунь может причинить боль, и кошка начнёт вырываться. А при смывании мыльной пены постарайтесь прикрыть глаза и нос кошки.
- После купания вытрите своего питомца полотенцем или заверните его в мягкую ткань. Пока шерсть влажная, животное легко может простудиться. Therefore, make sure that there is no drafts in the room, and the strongly soaked “towel” changed to dry in time.
Proper care and maintenance of the Scottish Fold cat requires constant attention to the oral cavity. In animals older than two years, begins to postpone the so-called dental calculus, causing inflammation of the gums and destroying the teeth. To prevent this, the cat's teeth should be cleaned regularly with a soft brush. This procedure is very unpleasant, so you need to teach a kitten to her since childhood.
Pasta can be made independently from a mixture of salt and soda, and you can purchase a professional product at the pet store. Once every few months (or even less often, depending on the rate of formation of tartar), it is advisable to take the animal to the vet to remove this dangerous plaque and to treat the oral cavity.
Caring for pregnant scottish folds
People who are not professional breeders usually care about the question: how to care for a pregnant Scottish Fold cat? There are a few simple rules that will help your darling to give birth to healthy kittens:
- First, provide the cat maximum rest. No need to once again take her in your arms, move from place to place or shake, slipping toys. During this period, Scottish folds become sluggish and can sleep for 20 hours a day.
- If you need to raise the cat, take it under the ass and chest, without pressing on the stomach. You do not need to grab her by the scruff of the collar: this way you can only carry kittens up to 5-6 months, and it hurts adult animals.
- Do not try to feel growing belly. You can damage the kittens, and it will badly affect the health of the cat itself.
- From the fifth to the sixth week, cats usually begin to look for a secluded spot for future births. Give her a corner in which she will feel safe. This place can be simply covered with soft rags and fur, but it would be better to put a tall box. Cut one wall so that the cat can easily go inside, and cover the “nest” from above with a thick cloth.
- The developing fetus requires a large amount of nutrients from the cat mother, so during pregnancy your pet will ask to eat every few hours. Try to feed it at least 4 - 5 times a day and, of course, do not forget about vitamin supplements and clean water.
Like other purebred cats, Scottish Folds require compulsory vaccination.
- The first vaccination is done to the Scottish kitten no earlier than 3 months. It will provide the child with protection against a whole complex of diseases: caliciviosis, rhinotracheitis, panleukopenia and rabies.
- After 3 to 5 weeks, re-vaccination is carried out, after which the animal develops resistant immunity to these diseases.
- The remaining vaccinations - from ringworm, leukemia, chlamydia and other infections should be done only if your pet is often on the street.
There are several rules that must be followed in order to preserve the health of the animal.:
- Vaccination can only be done to a healthy animal that does not experience any physical discomfort. So, even cutting teeth are a good reason to cancel the visit to the hospital.
- It is necessary to strictly observe the terms of revaccination. The transfer of vaccinations is possible only if your pet feels bad.
- 10 - 14 days before vaccination, the cat must be given anti-worms medicine: any parasites weaken the animal, which means that the introduction of the vaccine makes it dangerous to health.
- Do not carry a pregnant cat on vaccinations. During this period, her body is especially vulnerable, and the vaccine will do more harm than good.
Remember that vaccinations need to be done annually, trying not to miss the date assigned during the previous vaccination.