In the article I will tell you what snails are and their most popular species: land, lung, gill and sea. I will describe the brightest representatives of the breeds, habitat, color, size, why they are bred or kept. Particular attention is paid to the use of the mollusk and its distinctive features.
Ground snails are cute and unpretentious pets, care for which does not require a lot of effort and financial costs. The most popular among them are Akhatins. Consider the main ones:
- Achatina reticulum different mobility and curiosity. Always pays attention to what is happening around. The neck and head are painted brown or black, and the rim of the legs is several tones lighter. Dots and stripes of brown are scattered across the surface of the shell in a chaotic manner. In food, the clam is unpretentious. He can be accustomed to feeding by the hour. It can lay up to 300 eggs.
- Achatina Fulika a very lazy mollusk, which most of its time is preferred to be at rest. The shell is painted black, red or brown. The shell is large and can grow up to 20 cm. If you feed the pet well and do not disturb it often, the female actively reproduces, laying a large number of eggs. Life expectancy in captivity is up to six years.
- Ahatina iradeli in size inferior to previous relatives. Its shell does not grow more than 5-7 cm. The color of the mollusk is yellow. From what it is called "lemon". A distinctive feature of iradeli is that it does not lay eggs, but brings live young. Their number can reach two dozen.
- Achatina vulgaris has brindle color. It is very large, and the shell can grow up to 30 cm. It is inactive in its behavior and prefers to rest in its free time. Life expectancy in captivity is up to 7 years.
- Cirpe - sea snail, without which it is difficult to do in the marine reef aquarium. It feeds on algae and cleans the aquarium well from their sediments, without disturbing the corals. The size of the mollusk in captivity rarely exceeds 5 cm. Whereas in nature there are specimens of 15 cm. The cirpus is active at night and in the evening, in the afternoon it rests somewhere in the gorge of stones.
- Geographic Cone - the most poisonous mollusk in the world. He lives in the ocean. An adult can release a cloud of high insulin into the water. The latter leads to a sharp decrease in the blood sugar level of the victim and the person dies. Today, the antidote to the mollusk has not yet been found.
- Giant australian trumpeter - the world's largest snail, the shell of which can be up to 90 cm in length. The usual habitat of the mollusk is the coastal part of northern Australia. He descends to a depth of 30 m and feels comfortable there. Eats worms and other small inhabitants of the aquatic world.
What are gill snails
- Bithynia - small snails with conical, egg-shaped or tower-shaped shell. Their shell does not grow more than 2 cm. The snail shell is painted in brown, dark gray or beige. Bob clam in fresh water.
- Luzhanka or the viviparor, as it is called in the common people, is an inhabitant of fresh water bodies. Its shell has the shape of a blunt cone and reaches a size of up to 4 cm. Depending on the habitat, the color palette of the mollusk can vary from reddish-brown to beige with a green hue. These are viviparous individuals living in Europe.
- Trumpets - marine mollusks with a shell length of 25 cm. The shape of the shell is elongated, the color is light brown. This is a predator, paralyzing the victim with poisonous saliva. Habitat habitat cool ocean waters in the Northern Hemisphere.
- A prominent representative of pulmonary mollusks is considered snail. It is customary to breed it on an industrial scale in view of the value of the meat obtained. It is called "natural Viagra", and pharmacists claim that such food is capable of activating the vital processes of the human body. The mollusk is colored beige, rarely dark gray. The diameter of the shell is 5-6 cm. It feeds on vegetation, for example, grape leaves, cabbage or lettuce.
- Snail coil it is painted in light beige, and sometimes, orange-brown color. The size of its shell can reach up to 3.5 cm. The habitat of the coils is shallow water bodies filled with large amounts of vegetation.
- Red roadside slug does not have a shell. His body is colored red-brown, orange and even brown. This is a land mollusk that lives in gardens and kitchen gardens. His body reaches 10 cm in length and is covered with mucus.
Shellfish in the aquarium play an important role. They purify water, soil and eat up the remnants of fish food. The most popular among this variety of mollusks are:
- Snail melania - a clam very useful to an aquarium. It constantly moves in the ground, circulating water in it. It feeds on the remains of fish feed. Painted in gray, conical shell shape. It reproduces very quickly, which often becomes a problem. After a while, the entire surface of the bottom of the aquarium is completely littered with chalk, which spoils the picture in the aquarium. Since the mollusks live in the ground, it is difficult to catch them. To completely get rid of such a pet you need to boil the soil.
- Snail helena - predator, opening the hunt for their relatives and the dead fish. It will help the aquarist to get rid of other uncontrolled breeding mollusks, for example, melania. It does not need chemistry and special efforts from the owner. Helana has a conical carapace in alternate bands of yellow and brown. Their population can be controlled without problems, because they do not multiply rapidly.
- Snail ampoule one of the most popular aquarium mollusks. Its shell grows in size up to 5-7 cm. Most often it is colored yellow, less often beige. This is a herbivorous mollusk, which is not worth growing in a herbal aquarium. Ampulyarya will immediately eat all the algae, and then switch to hard-leaved plants. The mollusk extracts oxygen from the aquatic environment, and with the help of a proboscis it collects air at the surface of the water. The snail puts its eggs on the glass.
They are used in beauty salons and are prepared in restaurants as a delicacy. To settle and grow shellfish is easy, most importantly, want.
The most popular type of snails among breeders of terrarium. They attract with their unpretentiousness in keeping, live up to 4-6 years, multiply rapidly, giving out from 100 to 300 eggs in one laying.
Fulik have cone-shaped shells of various colors ranging from brown (as in the photo) to slightly violet. There are albino bodies and shells that are considered the most valuable. They grow up to 11-15, sometimes up to 20 cm. They are distinguished by special fecundity, they rush twice a month. For recreation, choose a secluded place, lively respond to food, but give way and do not push each other when feeding. Does not like overmoistening, the optimum temperature of the content - 24-26 degrees.
Full information about the snail Achatina Fulik read in our article.
Externally attractive species of snails come from Zanzibar. Its name comes from the Latin word and means patterned, mesh. The mollusk attracts with its beautiful speckled speck, dark head and wide light foot.
Reticules are very mobile and curious, love to communicate, often raises his head, reacts to any stimuli.
These mollusks grow rapidly, reaching sizes of 20 cm. They are unpretentious in food, they learn to eat by the hour. In gratitude for the good content, they lay up to 300 eggs, prefer a mild temperature of 25-27 degrees and moderate humidity. There are albino reticulums and, as a rarity, breeders are very much appreciated by terrariumists.
Special snail. She has a luxurious shell in color and a beautiful milk body, from the head to the carapace there passes a characteristic red strip. The name immaculat from Latin means pure, without specks.
Different types of these mollusks can interbreed with each other and actively multiply. Rush already at the age of 6 months, in a clutch there are up to 100-200 eggs. Feel comfortable at a temperature of 26-28 degrees, adore high humidity. In the diet unpretentious, grow quickly and with age acquire a noble beige body color and dark chocolate shell.
A close relative of the reticulum. The young of these snails are difficult to distinguish by color, but over time, the albopic shell becomes darker, acquiring a more original spotted color. The foot is wider and darker than that of the "cousin." The main feature of albopicta is the exotic and very attractive pink tip of the test.
In the adult state, the mollusk reaches the size of 16-17 cm. It differs from its congeners from Africa in its gluttony and somewhat capricious character. He feels fine in captivity, prefers a temperature of 25 degrees and humidity up to 90%. Actively multiplies, laying at puberty up to 200-300 eggs in clutch.
Unusual exotic African species, the second name of which is yellow or lemon. Attracts breeders with bright light colors, as in the photo, with miniature sizes at puberty up to 5-7 cm.
Iradeli are very valuable and expensive. They have a beautiful coffee head, a wide milk leg and a small neat sink. But the main value of this snail is its ability to bring live offspring. Already at the age of 6-8 months, they can give birth to 25-30 children, up to 1 cm in size.
Prefers nightlife. Always active, curious and sociable, makes interesting sounds such as squeaking and rustling. He loves water, is unpretentious in food, loves to eat tight. Temperature conditions for the content - 25-28 degrees, humidity 70-90%. Iradeli can be called a manual snail, which quickly gets used to the owner and likes to take a nap on his hands. Lemon clam has many beautiful varieties with pink and sandy shells.
Rare species of gastropods, is not yet common among terrariumists in Russia. Due to the dark brown color of the shell, it is also called brown. The mollusk’s homeland, African Mozambique and Malawi, is a distant relative of the common fulika and immaculus.
Compared with the snail shell, it has a massive body with a characteristic dark striped on the head. According to the description, breeders are active and agile during the day, almost omnivorous, curious, always ready to communicate with the owner.
At 7 months, it is ready to breed, in one clutch you can count up to 200-300 eggs. Content temperature up to 28 degrees, humidity 60-70%.
The most exotic species comes from Nigeria. Individuals as in the photo do not convey all the beauty and diversity of unusual African snails.
In captivity mollusks take root well and can reach sizes up to 25-33 cm.
The colors of individuals vary from black to red, and white albinos are also found. Shells are always beautiful with characteristic "tiger" stripes.
These snails are more capricious in content, grow slowly, prefer to sleep in a secluded place. Offspring are brought in the second year of life, in laying up to 100 eggs. They love high temperatures up to 30 degrees and high humidity up to 90%.
A brief description of exotic snail species Achatina does not convey the full and detailed description of these charming creatures. They are attracted by a variety of appearance, peculiar characters and soft leisure. Keeping these wonderful African animals at home can bring a lot of pleasure and a good profit from selling to other breeders and lovers of gastronomic delights.
Mollusks are unpretentious, even teenage schoolchildren can maintain and breed them. Over the past 15 years, there has been a tendency to grow Akhatin for sale, to make money on selected pieces of individuals or on large wholesale supplies.
This is a profitable business, because these leisurely creatures are used for cosmetic and gastronomic purposes. For example, a breeder who acquires broodstock for $ 150, in a year can earn up to $ 5,000 from the sale of grown strong young. Keeping at home is very cheap! And the pleasure of communicating with the Akhatins and the profits from their implementation fully pay for all the hassle and small upfront costs.
Land Snail Types
The largest and most diverse domestic snails, Achatina, are best suited as pets.
Achatina reticulum - very curious and lively species of domestic snails. She is very interested in the environment and to keep abreast of what is happening, she often raises her head. The color of the head and neck is brown or black, the rim of the leg is light. The shell is "painted" with dots or stripes. Unlike its relatives, the reticulum grows very quickly. The diameter of the sink reaches 20 cm. In the care of unpretentious, they eat everything. Their easy to learn to eat by the hour. In captivity can lay up to 300 eggs.
Achatina Fulika - The most lazy member of the Achatina family, most of the time he spends in a state of rest. it very large snail, the color of the shell can be black, red, brown, its size reaches 20 cm. At home, it lives up to 6 years, actively multiplying.
Achatina Immaculate. Coloring is very diverse. It is distinguished from other representatives of the Akhatin genus by a pinkish or light purple rim along the shell and a characteristic pink stripe on the head and neck. In laying - 15-200yayits.
Achatina Albopikta. It has some similarities with the reticulum, but smaller (up to 16 cm). The tip of the shell is pink; the rim of the shell is white or yellowish. Unpretentious, but a little gluttonous. Can bring offspring up to 300 small individuals.
Ahatina iradeli. Due to the characteristic yellowish color, it is also called "lemon". This is a very small snail, the size of only 5-7 cm. The content is unpretentious, like her relatives, but has a very interesting difference: it is the only Akhatina who does not bring eggs, but live young (20-25 individuals).
Akhatina brown. It resembles Fulik, differs only in the shape of the shell: Fulik has a cone-shaped shell, without curvature, and the shell of brown Achatina is semicircular. By character sociable, in content unpretentious. Like other snails of the Achatina genus, it is very prolific.
Achatina ordinary. The huge size of the cochlea, tiger colors. In nature, its shell reaches a length of 30 cm. Home Achatina ordinary has a more modest size (up to 22 cm). The color is orange or light yellow, the stripes on the sink are black or brown. The legs are dark in color. At home, live up to 7 years. The character is calm, when it is free from eating, it prefers to rest in its burrow.
Another type of domestic snails, popular with breeders - snails. From Achatina they differ in much smaller sizes(5 cm long, 4.5 cm wide), their colors are very diverse.
It is necessary to purchase a special terrarium, on the roof of which there must be openings for ventilation of small size so that the snail cannot get out of its dwelling itself. A layer of specially treated soil or coconut substrate used as a soil is placed on the bottom. The thickness of the layer depends on the size of the gastropod pet, so that during the daytime sleep the snail can fully dig into the ground. Required constantly maintain soil moistureby spraying it with water once a day. In no case do not allow watering flooring!
The volume of the terrarium should be at least 10 liters per individual. The temperature inside must be maintained at 25-27 degrees (depending on the type of snail). For heating, it is better to use external heat sources (thermal cords or thermal shrouds), since the heaters inside the terrarium can cause severe burns to its inhabitants. As a heat source, you can also use incandescent lamps, pre-closing pets from light. In no case do not put the terrarium on the windowsill: the bright sun can interfere with the snail's daytime rest, as well as greatly heat its home. Another danger - drafts. Snails can freeze, because the temperature is below + 18-20 degrees - it is already cold for them.
You can plant a snail aquarium by planting non-toxic plants, for example, leaf lettuce or cat grass. As decoration use sphagnum moss (sold in a flower shop), coconut shells, various snags from the pet store or from the forest (always well processed).
Food bowl should be of soft material (you can use plastic covers for cans). There should be no glass, metal, ceramics in the terrarium! The snails do not need light, so you can turn it on only if you want to watch your pets.
Раз в день стенки террариума необходимо протирать влажной тряпкой, без использования химических веществ, так как они могут нанести сильнейшие ожоги. Разрешается использовать обыкновенную соду, которую потом нужно тщательно смыть. Генеральную уборку следует проводить каждую неделю. Для мытья террариума и находящейся в нем посуды должна быть отдельная губка.
Сухопутные улитки обожают принимать ванну. Для этого можно поставить им неглубокую миску с водой или положить их под струю теплой воды (не горячей!). Во время купания раковину тщательно очистить от налипшей грязи мягкой щеточкой.
Листья салата можно класть прямо на грунт и использовать одновременно в качестве тарелки под овощи, фрукты и самой пищи.
Сепия. В террариуме всегда должен находиться кусок панциря каракатицы, который постепенно грызут улитки.
Сухая смесь, состоящая из: молотой зерносмеси и кальция (яичная скорлупа, речной ракушечник, кормовой мел и т. д.). All this is necessary for the proper development and strength of the shell.
- carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, cucumbers,
- bananas (or their skins), avocados, mangoes, apples, pears.
Hard fruits and vegetables pre-crushed float, soft - cut into small pieces.
Vegetable puree, cooked by you or bought in a store (baby, no salt!). Mashed potatoes can be mixed with grain mixture and calcium, given in the form of porridge.
Snails need to be offered food with a high protein content several times a week:
- meat puree,
- food for fish.
In no case can you feed the gastropods with salted foods, since salt for them is a terrible poison!
Collect the remnants of the meal to prevent them from rotting and, as a consequence, the appearance of midges and mold.
Collect feces not only on the surface of the soil, but also inside.
Spray the soil (as needed), the walls of the terrarium and the snails themselves.
Be careful when removing the snail from the wall: in any case, do not pull it over the sink! You can remove it as follows:
- spray the wall with water
- snail and your hand, gently slip your finger under the pet's head,
- gently lift and detach.
Land domestic snails are cute, good-natured and very cute creatures. Settling in your home they are sure to be loved by the whole family for many years.
Achatina Fulika (Achatina fulica)
Fulika lives in a tropical climate. The length of the mollusk is 20 cm. In the terrarium it grows to 17 cm. The conical shape of the shell is with 6-9 turns. Body color is beige, light brown, less often black. The structure of the sole is coarse. Read more about the content and feeding. here.
The color of the shell varies from dark brown to red. With age, the shell acquires dark stripes and blur. Apex brown, rarely sandy, pointed. Columella white or bluish color.
Achatina fulica umbilicata Neville
The snail does not need constant care and is inexpensive to maintain; therefore, novice terrariumists stop their choice on it. Snail is omnivorous, voracious. He loves water, but does not tolerate the over-wetting of the terrarium.
Active at temperatures from 20 to 28 degrees and humidity from 65% to 75%. In captivity lives up to 8 years. Achatina fulik becomes sexually mature in 5-6 months, in clutch there are from 250 to 700 eggs. Egg size 5-6 mm.
Fulika moves quietly and slowly. Watching her reassures. In the morning, she chooses a quiet place and sleeps there. Scarecrow when hiding in a shell makes a squeak. With poor care, hibernates up to 9 months.
In the community of kinsmen pliable and friendly. Snails eat one by one, without interfering with each other. For keeping 1 fulic, a terrarium volume of at least 15 liters is required.
Achatina fulica sinistrosa Grateloup
Varieties of Achatina fulica:
- Achatina fulica hamillei Petit
- Achatina fulica rodatzi Dunker
- Achatina fulica sinistrosa Grateloup
- Achatina fulica umbilicata Neville
Lemon Achatina (Achatina iredalei)
Iradeli is from Zanzibar. The size of a conic shell is 6 cm with 4 turns. The name of this species received for the lemon-yellow color of the shell and the cream color of the sole. The color of the head is darker than that of the sole. Apex sandy or yellow, columella yellow.
This viviparous snail (does not lay). It becomes sexually mature at 7 months, 25 snailki 1 cm in size are born every six months.
She is active, sociable and curious, unpretentious to the conditions of detention. He loves water and tasty food. 23-28 degrees - the optimum temperature for a lemon snail. Humidity 70% -90%.
Leads nocturnal, beeps, rustles and eats. Distinguishes the host from outsiders. He loves when they take her in their arms. The volume of terrarium for lemon Achatina 10 liters.
Achatina iradeley species:
- Achatina iredalei albino
Brown Achatina (Achatina glutinosa)
The snail is similar to immanel panther and fulik. Mozambique and Malawi are its birthplace. The mollusk size reaches 12 cm. The shell is massive, ovate-conical in shape, dark brown in color with brown stripes. Apex brown, slightly rounded. Columella white or blue.
The body is massive, gray-brown with a darkened band on the head. With good care it grows fast. He loves water and bathing, combining communication with the owner and water treatments.
Brown Achatina sociable, omnivorous and mobile - even in the daytime. The optimum temperature content is 25 - 28 degrees. Humidity 65% - 70%.
In home terrariums is rare. It becomes sexually mature at 7 months, in laying 300 eggs. The volume of the terrarium for brown Achatina 15 liters.
Achatina glutinosa - Brown Ahatina
Achatina "tiger" or Achatina ordinary (Achatina achatina)
The largest species of African snail. At home in Nigeria, its size reaches 33 cm. However, in captivity it grows up to 25 cm. The weight of the mollusk is 400 grams. The color of the barrel-shaped shell varies from lemon yellow to red, with black and brown stripes and dots. Apex yellow, crimson columella or pink. On the site a separate article is devoted to the tiger snail - read.
Achatina "tiger" - Achatina achatina
The body color is black or brown, but there are also albinos with white legs. By nature calm and lazy, prefer to sit in one place. Many sleep in the litter, distracted only by food. Slow and little sociable.
Demanding to food and conditions of detention, grow slowly. They reach sexual age at 2 years, in laying 100 eggs of 7 mm each.
Achatina Achatina Albino
Temperature of content is 26-30 degrees. Humidity 70% -90%. In the crawl terrariums there are rarely. The volume of the terrarium for the Achatina tiger is 30 liters. Albinos require special care. here.
Achatina achatina roseolabiata depravata
Exotic dishes are prepared from Achatina meat. Her meat is believed to cure tuberculosis.
Varieties of Achatina Ahatina:
- Achatina Achatina Albino
- Achatina achatina roseolabiata depravata
- Achatina achatina elegans monochromatica togënsis bayoli
Achatina Zanzibarica (Achatina zanzibarica)
As the name implies, the snail comes from Zanzibar. In captivity it grows to 12. Cone-shaped shell of straw-yellow color with brown stripes and dots. But there are zanzibariki with a purely yellow shell. Apex pink, pointed. Columella white and blue. The body of the snail is beige or light brown in color with a mesh pattern.
Achatina zanzibarika - viviparous (does not lay). It becomes sexually mature at 8 months, 30 snails of 7 mm each are born once a year. The optimum temperature content is 25 - 28 degrees. They love warm soil. Humidity 70% -80%.
In home terrariums are rare, as capricious in the content. They gnaw each other's shells, often go into hibernation.
Achatina zanzibarica albino
With proper care, Zanzibar grows quickly and eats well. Active and curious, love to swim. In the daytime they sleep buried in the ground. They live in captivity up to 6 years. The volume of the terrarium for the Achatina Zanzibarik is 15 liters.
If you decide to start Achatina different species in one terrarium, pay attention to the compatibility table of different species of African snails.
Achatina Achatina (Achatina Ahatina)
The largest species of African snails, the average size of the shell is 18-20 cm. The main color of the shell is yellow-orange with black or brown stripes. Thanks to this coloring Achatina Achatina has received another name - tiger. Columella crimson hue. A distinctive feature of the species is the tip of the leg with a V-shaped frame, as in members of the genus Archachatina. The color of the legs is gray - from pale to saturated. For beginners will not work, because demanding conditions of detention.
Achatina Albopicta (Achatina Albopikta)
A distinctive feature is the pink apex, so it can be distinguished from Achatina reticulata, with which they can mate and give viable offspring. The average size of the shell is 10-12 cm. The main color of the shell is yellowish white with reddish-brown spots and stripes, the last round merges into one dark spot. Columella colorless or white. The body is monochromatic and light.
Achatina Glutinosa (Achatina Glutinoza)
This type of Achatina is not very common in private collections. It has similarities with Achatina Fulica, with the joint content may appear hybrids. The average length of the shell is 10-12 cm, its main color is monochromatic red-brown, the apex is not colored. Columella white and blue or blue.
Achatina Panthera (Achatina Panther)
A very interesting view is Achatina, which some malacologists refer to the Achatina immaculata subspecies. The average length of the shell is 9-11 cm. The color can vary - dark monochromatic, light pink, light brown, and sometimes with a greenish or purple hue. Leg light with a bright stripe. They grow very quickly, cannibalism is possible at an early age, so it is recommended to increase the amount of protein supplements.
Achatina Zanzibarica (Achatina Zanzibarika)
This type of Achatina belongs to viviparous snails. They are rarely seen in home collections, as they are very capricious and difficult to maintain. The average size of the shell is 10-13 cm. Columella is bluish-white. Apex is not colored or pink. These snails are not resistant to changing conditions and other stressful situations.
Archachatina marginata marginata (Archahatina marginata marginata)
It features a massive rounded sink, the average length of which is 16-18 cm. Color - light and dark brown stripes evenly distributed stripes on a yellow background, with spots and patches. Columella white. The color of the apex is pale pink or not colored. The leg has a rich dark color.
Archachatina ventricosa (Archahatina ventricosis)
The shell size is up to 12 cm. The first turns are red-brown in color, the big turn is olive or bright green with brown stripes and spots. Apex yellowish or reddish. Columella crimson or purple hues.
In this article, we tried to describe the Achatina species and Archahatin species, which are most often found in home collections. In more detail about each type we will tell in separate articles. Health to you and your pets!
Like this article? Take it to the wall, support the project!