As mentioned earlier, this plant does not cause much trouble. It must be remembered that it is freshwater, and if you put the elodea in an aquarium with sea or salted water, it will die.
It is best to reproduce anaccharis, if you keep the water temperature in the range of 20-25 ° C. If it increases, the growth of all its types (except for gear) will slow down or stop completely.
The condition of this representative of the underwater world water hardness does not have a big impact. It is necessary to think about it only in case of transplanting a plant from soft water to a more rigid one. As a result, the stems can be significantly reduced.
Of the external factors, elodeia is most affected by lighting. It should be equally good in all corners of the aquarium. If in some part of it, for example, at the bottom, light does not reach the plant, the leaves will begin to rot and fall.
Despite the simplicity, it is necessary to periodically filter the water. The fact is that the elodea itself acts as a filter. On its stems and leaves settles dregs from the water of the aquarium. This is good for all inhabitants of the reservoir, except for the plant itself. Its appearance may deteriorate significantly. Therefore, you need to install a filter pump or periodically flush the elodea stems independently under running water.
Additionally, it is not necessary to feed this species of aquatic plants. It uses the waste products of other living organisms to process them into nutrients for themselves.
Elodee plant chooses a reservoir with stagnant water or slowly flowing. In culture grown in aquariums and for landscaping ponds in the gardens. Water temperature up to 20 ° C. It grows at a depth of 20 to 300 centimeters. Adapts to different lighting conditions, although it prefers a solar location.
Plant cells produce oxygen that saturates the water. It is related to the subgroup of oxygen generator plants. It also purifies water and prevents its flowering.
The popular name - "water plague", she found for the ability to rapidly reproduction.
Elodea applied for gardening garden ponds and their self-cleaning. It rather effectively enriches water with oxygen. In small ponds it forms rather picturesque “spots” of greenery under water.
Due to its rapid growth, it is not recommended to use this plant for large water bodies, as it is very difficult to clean the pond. Most likely, to withdraw Elodie from there, also will not work. Develops well in aquariums.
How to care
Elodea not requiredt special care. In a certain period of time it may be necessary to remove Ishlo overgrown thickets Elodee. In small ponds and aquariums, which contain fish, remove the plant must be carefully (the plant juice is quite poisonous and can initiate death for the fry). In addition, the juice of "water plague" can slow down the development of other aquatic plants. A rake or large net is used for removal.
Real water plant has the ability to reproduce rapidly. Any of the side branches, having broken off, can be taken as a new plant. Elodea breeding occurs through vegetation. As usual, it is enough to throw a sprig (at least 20 centimeters long) into the pond or to fasten it in the ground at the bottom. It is better to land young specimens at the end of May into the soil of the reservoir with a bundle of up to 10 branches, to a depth of 70 cm.
Share "ELODEA DESCRIPTION, CONTENT, BREEDING, PHOTO, CARE."
The appearance of elodey and methods of its reproduction
Despite its simplicity, the plant has an attractive appearance. The shape of elodea resembles a vine with a thin stalk and translucent leaves located along its entire length. Their length is two centimeters, and width is 5 millimeters. The color of the young plant is bright green. As it grows old, its stems begin to darken, and its leaves become shallow. All types of water plague have minor differences among themselves.
Notched elodeum originates from South America. Because of this, it can withstand the high temperature of water, in which its other species will inevitably die. To breed this type of anaccharis, it is necessary to provide it also with good lighting.
Elodey Densa is a leafy plant. Its appearance will vary depending on the changing conditions in the aquarium. This species is also distinguished by the fact that it is able to release more oxygen than other elodea.
The length of the water plague can reach from one to three meters. In this case, it must be thinned, cut off the old stems, you can also cut the tops.
This aquatic plant can be planted directly in the ground or throw cuttings into the water. In both cases, it will be equally good and grow rapidly. In the case of planting in the ground on the stems will appear white roots in order to keep the plant at the bottom. In addition, they make the appearance of elodea more interesting.
Shelter. Elodeis are often used as protective thickets for fry, as well as for viviparous species of fish (guppies, swordtails).
Feed. This plant is also used as a dressing for goldfish or as a treat for other types of fish, for example, tetras or scalar.
It is believed that Elodie is poisonous. But the concentration of poison in its juice is so small that adult fish eat it with pleasure without harm to health. However, if there are tender shrimps in the aquarium, it is recommended to prune this plant outside the tank.
Cleansing Anaharis plays the role of fitofilter, absorbing organic matter from water, thereby preventing undesirable algae from appearing in the aquarium, which is often very difficult to get rid of.
Aeration. Due to intensive photosynthesis, Elodieum enriches water with oxygen. She can independently provide them with a medium-sized aquarium.
Elodea Canadian, whose photo you see in the article, received such a name due to its place of origin. For the first time, the elodea was brought to Europe in 1852. Since then, it rapidly began to spread in European waters and came to Russia. The fact is that particles of elodea adhere to waterfowl and are easily transferred.
Elodea canadian: reproduction
How does this amazing plant breed? Elodea Canadian germ cells has both sexes (male and female). This plant is dioecious. Female and male flowers are arranged on various plants. Female flowers do not differ in the big size and consist of six petals (three outside and three internal). They are on filiform legs, their stigma is fringed and pinkish. Elodea flowers bloom when the peduncle reaches the surface of the water. Male flowers are extremely small, with nine stamens.
The sexual reproduction of Canadian elodea is as follows. A male formed flower separates from the pedicle and comes to the surface of the water. These mobile germ cells of Canadian Elodea bloom and release pollen, which is transferred by water to female flowers and pollinates them.
Elodia Canadian was imported to Europe and Russia only in the form of female individuals with pistillate flowers, which are unable to form seeds in the absence of male staminate flowers. Therefore, vegetative reproduction (reproduction by fragmentation) completely replaced sexual (seed). However, even the vegetative elodie actively reproduces, rapidly capturing new habitats. Each broken branch can be a new plant. Small particles of the stem that have broken off stick to the feathers of waterfowl. So elodeya and settled in water.
Elodea Canadian is fairly easily taken in an aquarium: you need to plant its twig without a root in the sand or ground and make sure that its end does not reach the surface. In order for it to be a rich green tone, it is necessary, in addition, to plant it as short as possible. And even better - do not plant in the ground, and leave the branches floating freely, until they take aerial roots and not rooted themselves. To do this, you need to pour less water into the tank, as the smaller it is, the faster the fibrous roots will reach the ground.
The main condition for the growth of Canadian elodea is reliable rooting into the ground, to which there are certain requirements. It must contain lime.
Remember: elodeya is afraid of impurities in the water in the form of iron oxide and salt. In such an aqueous solution, it quickly perishes.
Good for aquarium
Why is Elodie Canadian so popular and what exactly is its use for the aquarium?
- This type of plant has excellent decorative characteristics, adds liveliness and greenery to the aquarium.
- Thick thickets of "water plague" serve as an excellent shelter for small fish, for example, guppies, swordtails, gourami and macropods. Fry will find shelter from adults, and pregnant females will be able to hide behind bushy stems to spawn.
- Elodea Canadian in the process of photosynthesis emits a significant amount of oxygen with a sufficient amount of light. All underwater inhabitants breathe this oxygen.
- Aquarium plant can filter out an almost invisible thin suspension. Thus, the water quality becomes higher.
- "Water Plague" secretes special substances that help fight against pathogens. Such natural antibiotics are detrimental to pathogenic microflora, which is present in any, even the most accurate and well-kept aquarium. Parameters of the aquatic environment are improving.
- Sometimes the Elodea Canadian is planted in an aquarium as an additional feeding for angelfish, tetras and goldfish. For them, its leaves are a real delicacy.
The conditions in the aquarium Elodie Canadian
This plant can survive in almost any conditions, but it is better if it does not have to survive. To do this, you must create the following conditions:
- Temperature in the range of 16-22 degrees. When the water is warmer, the growth of the plant slows down, and in water below 16 degrees, the Canadian elodea starts preparing for wintering, which is characterized by dropping leaves and stunting.
- Soft water The level of acidity and hardness of water has no particular effect, but if the plant is transferred from a soft-water aquarium to a tank where the water is hard, it will begin to wither and eventually die. If the transfer is from hard water to soft water, then the process of adaptation proceeds unhindered. When transplanting it is desirable to recreate the same factors that were in the same place.
- Full and high quality lighting. In the aquarium with this plant you need to constantly monitor the level of lighting. As a rule, the light should uniformly sanctify the entire surface. In the case when there is more light in one corner of the light than in the other, then the algae located in the darkened corner will turn brown and discard the leaves. In the form of sources of artificial lighting aquarium can be used as fluorescent lamps and incandescent lamps. As a rule, the power of the lighting devices is selected taking into account the grasses adjoining the elodea and the location of the aquarium. For the Elodeans of Canada, the natural rays of light are very useful and should be provided whenever possible.
- Lack of turbidity. "Water Plague" does not tolerate dregs. Particles of sediment settle on its leaves, not allowing the sun's rays (or the light of the lamp) to penetrate to them, which leads to stopping photosynthesis and subsequent death.
- The flow in the aquarium should be slow, because if it is powerful, the shoots will simply “blow away” into a bunch and they will transform into an unaesthetic clump.
The Canadian variety of aquatic plant Elodaea may not bring you the most pleasant surprise, falling into a kind of winter “hibernation”. This often happens without a sharp change in the content factors, because the alga has seasonal “programming”.
Remember that the juice that is released from the stems during pruning may be toxic to some aquarium vegetation and fish. Such manipulations should be carried out in a separate container, in which the elodea is pulled out of the aquarium.
Stalks of perennial algae can grow up to one meter in length. Therefore, for a beautiful, aesthetic appearance and thickness, “water contamination” must be periodically trimmed.
All nutritional components necessary for successful growth and development, these plants are obtained from water, carrying out its filtration.
Perhaps, what has been said is quite enough for those who select the design of the aquarium per breeding "water plague". You can add only the fact that all these recommendations relate to only one type - Canadian elodee. Other types of elodea may need to create other unique and special conditions.
What water is required by the plant
The maintenance of the aquarium plant is not difficult, as the water plague is very undemanding to water. For it are not important parameters such as hardness and acidity of water. Also she does not need her prisalivanii. The main condition necessary for the normal life of the elodea in an aquarium is water temperature. The plant tolerates cool water (but not below 16 degrees), but too warm for the Elodea is not suitable. The maximum water temperature in an aquarium with a plant should not exceed 25 degrees.
How to care for a plant
It is very important to know how to care for elodea, since only with the right care will you be able to grow a powerful green bush that will actively grow and multiply.
Plant elodeyu should be in the ground. To do this, first lower the lower end of the plant on it and press it with stones. The water plague quickly releases white, filiform roots, thanks to which it itself is firmly fixed in the ground. For high-quality growth of a young plant, it is best to apply a soil rich in lime, contributing to the fastest possible rooting. After the appearance of the roots of the hell, he begins to form new shoots from them. In order for the plant to have active growth, it is better to maintain it in an aquarium with a weak flow of water.
In the summer months the water plague grows especially actively, filling the aquarium too quickly. To prevent the fish from experiencing any discomfort during this period, the plants should be thinned, pinching small fragments from the bush.
If a plant is transplanted from a soft-water aquarium to a hard-water aquarium, it may lose some of its volume during the period of adaptation to new conditions. In this case, in order to accelerate the recovery of the green mass of the water plague, it is necessary to lengthen the daylight time for it to 16 hours.
In winter, if the lighting of the aquarium is only natural, the elodea may begin to languish due to lack of light, because at this time it is necessary to use artificial lighting without fail.
Despite the fact that the plague is unpretentious, dirty water is unacceptable for it. In order for the plant to feel well and create high-quality green thickets, it is necessary to replace 1/5 of the volume of water in the aquarium once a week. This benefits not only plants, but also fish.
Knowing how to care for an alode aquarium plant, you can create magnificent green thickets in the aquarium, which will be a good shelter for fish. During spawning, many species of fish spawn in the thickets of water plague. In addition, the plant is used as a green food for scalar, tetras and goldfish.
In aquariums cultivated 4 types of plague.
- Elodea leafy - the most common type of elodea, which can be purchased at almost any pet store. The plant is quite massive, creating particularly dense thickets. Closer to the root, the color of the stems is green with a brownish tinge.
- Elodea cog is also a fairly common species. It has a lighter form and with a strong growth does not significantly prevent the passage of light into all layers of water. Most often used in small aquariums, in which dense vegetation will interfere with the normal movement of fish. The microclimate in the aquarium with the help of this type of plant is slightly improved, but the decorative effect is achieved very high quality.
- Elodea Densa - plant this species best in bunches of 10-15 twigs. The plant has a rich dark green color and provides good thickets in which fish can easily hide. The leaves of this species are thicker than the needle, but less dense than the leafy. Many aquarists believe the plant is ideal.
- Elodea Canadian - a plant that can grow with equal efficiency in a cold-water aquarium as well as in a warm-water one.
Plant propagation features
Plant reproduction is easy. Water plague gives excellent roots and can form a new bush, even from a small piece of stem. If you want the plant to take root quickly and grow actively, you should take cuttings 20 cm long without external defects. Если аквариум заселён, то для укоренения водяной чумы проводить специальное подкармливание нет необходимости.
Водяная чума не страдает от болезней, и потому её содержание в аквариуме не является сложным. Элодею можно встретить во многих природных водоемах, но надо знать, что если растение взять оттуда, с ним к рыбам могут быть принесены опасные инфекции. Лучше приобретать всё растительность в надежном зоомагазине.
Elodea is a good supplement for creating a green mass in an aquarium where hornpole, water hyacinth, cryptocoryne and gyrophil grow.
General characteristics of the view and photos
Elodea ((Elodea), or aquatic plague, pond snail is a perennial aquatic flowering plant (hydrophyte) completely immersed in the water column. In nature, plants form dense thickets in cool water bodies with stagnant or running water.
Elodea is a rather aggressive plant: quickly expanding, it forms thick undergrowth impenetrable for small vessels, drowns out other aquatic plants and algae. Its capacity for rapid reproduction is used in agriculture - the green mass goes to feed for livestock, poultry, is used as organic fertilizer.
It differs from allodia of elodea by the presence of clearly visible organs - stems, leaves, roots of flowers. Stems from the water plague are long (up to 3 m), flexible, thin, brittle. The main stem spreads along the bottom, releasing a multitude of lateral, vertical, intertwining processes between each other. Young stems are light green. Grown stalks acquire a darker green-brown shade.
Elongated (linear-lanceolate), slightly curved, with small teeth at the edges, translucent or transparent leaves attached to the stem with thin cuttings and 3-4 pieces are collected in whorls. The length of the leaf blade to 10 mm, width up to 0.5 mm.
The leaves have a rich green color, at the top of the stem - lighter. With comfortable conditions and bright long-term illumination of certain types of foliage becomes reddish.
Elodea belongs to dioecious plants. In the summer small white flowers with red sepals rise above the water on a hard thin peduncle. Flowers of two types - with 9 stamens (male) and with 3 carpels forming the ovary (female). On the European continent, only female individuals have become widespread, so pollination does not occur and fruits with seeds do not form.
Poorly developed roots are thin, unreliable hold the plant in the ground. But the water plague develops beautifully by swimming in the water.
Important. Elodea in appearance are very similar to Agerian, hydrillae, Lagorisifon. Some of their species have a double Latin name, relating the same plant to different botanical groups.
Depending on the botanical classification, there are up to two dozen species of elodea. For aquarists of interest are three species - Canadian, leafy and curly.
Elodea leafy (Elodea densa) or notched ((Elodea densa Plancon) by some classifiers attributed to the Egeria (Egeria densa), lives in tropical and subtropical regions of South America, hence another name - the Argentine water plague.
She is thermophilic than Canadian elodea. In height at home it grows up to 70 cm, in very large aquariums up to 1-1.5 m, 3-5 cm wide. Rigid, twisted leaves are bright green, with pronounced teeth on the edges, 5-6 pieces are collected in whorls.
Elodea leafy more thermophilic, in aquariums grows to 70 centimeters.
The length of the leaf plate is 2-5 cm, width up to 0.6 cm. The shape of the leaf plate is narrow, lanceolate, with a sharp tip. Blooms more often than a Canadian relative and larger flowers, under no circumstances has a dormant period.
The content of Elodea cog is somewhat different from the Canadian:
- Aquarium volume of at least 100 liters is required,
- desirable level of illumination from medium to very strong - 0.4-0.6 W / l,
- prefers hard (KH 8-20 °) water with an acidity level pH 5.0-9.0,
- water temperature in the range of 10-26 ° C.
Curly Elodea (Elodea crispa) is often called curly Lagarisiphon (Lagarosiphon Muscoides or Lagarosiphon Major). Its homeland Central and South Africa, the island of Madagascar.
The plant is upright with dark green toothed leaves. Height up to 50 cm, stem diameter - 1 cm. Sessile soft leaves are very thin, bent to the bottom, elongated, 3-5 cm long, 0.3 cm wide, dark green. Blossoms rarely white or pale pink flowers.
Like all elodea develops when rooting in the ground and in free swimming. From other elodey different slow growth.
Elodea Kinky grows only up to 50 centimeters.
For curly elodea optimal parameters:
- water temperature + 18-24 ° C,
- hardness KH 5-12 °
- pH of pH 6.0-8.0,
- lighting is required mixed, with additional lighting 0.5 to 0.7 W / l,
- light day should be 10-12 hours
- Elodea grows poorly in muddy water, good filtration is desirable.
Under aquifer conditions, the elodeus is propagated only by vegetative means. Do not think much about how to plant this plant.
Everything is very simple:
- Choose a floating appendix 10-25 cm long or separate the lateral shoot of the plant.
- The cuttings are placed in water and waiting for threadlike white root processes to appear on them.
- At the bottom of the aquarium pour 2-3 cm of substrate, the best is large river sand. The quality and composition of the soil does not matter. He receives all the necessary substances through the leaves from the water.
Elodey propagated rooting cuttings.
Make a small hole in the sand, gently take the stalk with tweezers, place it in the prepared hole, sprinkle it with soil and fix it with a pebble.
Important. Elodie juice is poisonous and can harm fry. If it is necessary to separate a large number of shoots from the stem, the plant is carefully removed from the soil and divided into cuttings in a separate container.
Elodea is so unpretentious and hardy that most aquarists do not even have a question how to take care of it.
However, the rules of care exist:
- the plant is regularly thinned out, otherwise it will quickly fill the entire aquarium,
- fast-growing species (Canadian, jagged) need to systematically trim the tops,
- debris is removed from the surface of the water,
- The elodea creates a cloud of weak carbon dioxide around him, which slows down the vital processes, so the plant should be positioned so that the current created by the compressor accelerates the accumulated gas,
- the elodea does not tolerate a sharp change of soft water to hard water, dissolving in hard water,
- The plant does not tolerate salt impurities and the presence of iron oxides in water.
Important. Water plague is practically not subject to diseases, so special preventive procedures are not required.
Elodea in the aquarium
Openwork, bright green, brilliant in the light of the elodea gives the aquarium an elegant look. Free-floating whips form picturesque colored spots, and the Elodea, fixed in the ground in dense groups, form a decorative background for plants with contrasting colors.
Elodea not only decorates the aquarium, but also performs many useful functions:
Elodea saturates the water in the aquarium with oxygen.
saturates water with oxygen,
Elodea is not so popular anymore. She was forced out by more ornamental plants, but aquarists find it useful, maintenance-free, and recommended for beginners.
Some of the tips of experienced should listen:
- When planting, choose any soil, but not dirty and silted, additives from charcoal and lime are desirable,
- for the elodea to grow actively, she needs a small shading in the summer period and additional overhead lighting in the winter,
- for greater "fluffiness" regularly cut off the tops and root them, and throw out the lower part of the plant.
In this video, an expert shows the Elodea plant and talks about it.