Many of us have repeatedly thought about the fact that it would be nice to have some small pet: to give him warmth, affection, and unspent love. Who will it be - everyone chooses himself, being guided by his preferences, material capabilities, features of his character.
Most often in the role of a pet, the choice falls on cats, dogs, parrots, ornamental rats and hamsters. At the end of the 80s, the list of pets was replenished with rabbits.
Distinctive features of decorative rabbits
Decorative rabbits have a number of distinctive features in front of the usual meat breeds.
- Meat rabbits are mainly bred in the countryside and on farms for meat and hides, and ornamental - only as cheerful pets.
- Small weight and size are the hallmarks of decorative rabbits.
- The shape of the ears of these animals is very diverse and is often their pride. Depending on the characteristics of the breed, it may be pendant, rounded, with tassels at the ends.
- Different conditions of keeping decorative and ordinary rabbits affect their lifespan. If the life of an ordinary rabbit is 7‒8 years, then decorative, growing in love and hourly care, can live 10‒12 years.
Some owners dream of having a decorative rabbit of only a certain sex. This may be due to a variety of reasons. So how not to make a mistake when determining the sex of the future pet?
The main and main difference is the structural features of the reproductive organs of animals. For young rabbits at the age of up to one month it is very difficult to determine their own sex, a highly qualified specialist with experience can help.
In adult individuals, the external features of the structure of the genital organs are more clearly expressed and the sex of the rabbit can already be set independently with little or no error.
When choosing a decorative rabbit, you should not focus your attention on what sex the animal is, because the nature of the rabbits depends on its individual characteristics, temperament, genetically determined characteristics, education.
In the case of various diseases, as well as during the introduction of prophylactic vaccinations, it is necessary to establish the age of the animal.
In this case, you should pay attention to some external features:
- Claw length An important age characteristic in rabbits is the length of its claws. The older the animal, the stronger the claws bend inward.
- The ribs. At the age of six months, the rabbit ribs are very soft to the touch.
- Teeth. If you pay attention to the teeth of rabbits older than six months - they will have a yellowish tint and become covered with bloom.
- The eyelids of adult animals have a hilly, drooping form, whereas in young individuals they are smooth and even.
All these signs are very relative and no veterinarian will be able to accurately determine the age of the animal. In order to avoid problems in the future, it is advisable to purchase an ornamental rabbit in specialized nurseries, where all necessary documents are issued immediately after birth.
Allergy to rabbits
Quite often, allergic people with hypersensitivity to some components of the external environment, decide to purchase a decorative rabbit as a pet.
This is due to the fact that the down of rabbits differs from the hair of dogs and cats and rarely causes an allergic reaction. But the strong allergens for humans can be elements of the excretory secretion of rabbits. Often the cause of the allergic reaction and act as food.
In the event of an allergic reaction, a laboratory blood test will tell you exactly what was the allergen in this case.
Pros and cons of the content of the decorative rabbit
The maintenance of rabbits at home has a number of its pros and cons:
Easily accustomed to the tray.
Do not require constant bathing.
There is no need for daily walking outside.
Decorative rabbit can be a great friend for other small pets.
The cost of keeping decorative rabbits is negligible.
Bring aesthetic pleasure to its owner.
The specific smell often becomes the reason for the rejection of these animals in people with strongly developed senses of smell.
Daily cell cleaning can become a burdensome duty for its owner.
With free range in the apartment, rabbits can gnaw the wires, ruin the wallpaper and things.
Shedding animals often requires additional attention to their wool, and also takes considerable time to clean the apartment.
Want to increase animal productivity?
Every owner wants to achieve in the cultivation of animals to achieve greater economic benefits.
Innovative development of domestic specialists in animal husbandry, which is suitable for any animals (chickens, pigs, cows, goats).
Our readers recommend the use of a growth stimulator - the bioactive complex ANIMAL GROW.
It has the following properties:
- Promotes rapid weight gain without the use of steroids and anabolic steroids
- Improves the physical condition of animals, reduces epidemiological risks.
- Contributes to the normal birth and proper physiological development of young
- Increases productivity (milk yield, weight gain, egg laying) and improves product quality
- Quickly restores body weight and reproductive function after calving
What do you call a rabbit?
The name for the rabbit must be selected, focusing on personal preferences and priorities. Here a short, clear, easily pronounced nickname is better suited. The animal will get used to it much faster and easier, and within a short time it will begin to respond to it.
Features of keeping rabbits in the apartment
The apartment must be carefully prepared for the arrival of a new resident: remove all unnecessary items from the floor, because rabbits are charming rodents and will want to taste everything that comes their way.
Particular attention should be paid to low-lying wires: they will have to be removed completely or hidden in cable channels. Wallpaper, shoes and other household items rabbit, most likely, also will not pass their attention.
- The cage for keeping rabbits must be chosen very carefully. It is unacceptable to use a plastic cage for keeping rabbits.
- Its size should be such that the rabbit freely stood on its hind legs and did not rest on the ceiling.
- The rabbit is a burrowed animal, therefore it is advisable to darken the part of the cage in which the animal will rest.
- This will ensure a peaceful sleep, as well as provide a place for shelter if the rabbit needs to be alone.
- A separate part of the cage should be equipped as a place for eating. Here is conveniently located feeding trough, sennik and drinking bowl. The shape of the cell does not matter.
- Rabbits do not like drafts, it must be considered when choosing a place for it.
- Particular attention should be paid to the choice of feeders.
- Do not buy plastic dishes, it will very quickly become worthless.
- It is better to give preference to a heavy ceramic feeder.
- This option will avoid tipping over and the food will not be at the rabbit's feet.
- The feeder and the drinker can also be hung on the bars of a cage or an open-air cage.
However, the constant presence of an ornamental rabbit in a cage is undesirable. In order for the rabbit to grow up healthy and strong, it needs movement. The cell also contributes to the development of animal obesity, skeletal deformities and the development of other diseases.
The cell requires daily attention.
It is easy and does not take much time, you only need:
- Replace old food and hay.
- Wash the water bottle and fill it with clean water.
- Replace litter or filler.
At least once a week it is necessary to carry out general cleaning in a cage: wash and disinfect dishes and premises more thoroughly. For disinfection, you should not use solutions that contain strong chemicals, they can easily get into the rabbit's stomach or burn its mouth.
Feeding decorative rabbit
All the feeds that are necessary for the well-being of the ornamental rabbit can be divided into several categories:
- concentrated - cereals, legumes, bran, feed,
- rough - branch feed and hay,
- animal feed - it is milk, various dairy products, fish oil,
- juicy - carrots, cabbage, green lettuce, cucumbers,
- mineral - bone meal, salt, chalk.
As a treat and a source of various vitamins, rabbits can also be given apples, various berries and nuts.
It is not recommended to feed rabbits with exotic vegetables and fruits (tangerines, bananas, etc.), green potatoes, beetroot, dill. Young peas and beans can cause bloating. Yeast bread, cheese, seeds and various sweets are also not worth giving to rabbits.
Rabbit fur care
Twice a week decorative rabbit must be combed out. For this, a special brush or furminator is usually used. During the molting period, rabbit fluff must be monitored especially carefully. The procedure of combing should bring pleasure not only to the pet, but also to its owner.
To avoid mats and tangles in long-haired animals, you can use various means and sprays for the care of wool. After such procedures, the hair of the decorative rabbit becomes beautiful, smooth and shiny.
Rabbits living in the natural environment do not need any special nail care: as they grow, nails are ground on sticks, earth and other hard surfaces.
Unfortunately, life in a residential environment is unnatural for a rabbit, so from time to time there is a need to cut your pet's nails.
Of course, in this situation it is preferable to trust a specialist and take your rabbit to the vet. But you can learn to perform these procedures at home.
It is necessary to cut the nails of the rabbit as they grow, on average, this period is from three to eight weeks. When self-grooming, you must be very careful and not damage the nearby blood vessels.
- Decorative rabbits, like other animals, are happy to do the hygienic procedures themselves.
- Maintain wool in perfect order without any extra help incorporated by natural instincts.
- Bathing for a decorative rabbit is an unnatural process that causes stress in an animal. Therefore, it is worth resorting to full bathing only in the most necessary cases.
- Bathing water should be at room temperature. It is not necessary without the need to use shampoos, soaps or gels, because not washed away chemical residues can get into the animal's stomach and cause irritation.
- During bathing, you must carefully monitor that water does not fall into the nose and ears of the animal.
- After bathing the rabbit should be dried with a soft towel and in no case use a hairdryer. Hot air jets can cause burns on the animal's body.
Puberty of the ornamental rabbit can be calculated by indirect signs:
- aggravation of feelings
- aggression and attempted bites,
- tags in the apartment,
- nest arrangement,
- discard tray.
During this period, it is necessary to stock up on angelic patience and not to deviate from their educational and instructive functions.
The castration of rats and the sterilization of females are usually very rarely used. Most often this occurs for medical reasons or as a result of the unbridled nature of the animal. Males can be castrated before puberty at the age of about 3-4 months, sterilization of females, as a rule, occurs a little later.
Stories of our readers!
"The additive has approached all animals - birds, pigs and cows. It does not have a pronounced taste or smell. When added to the feed imperceptible, the animals eat normally.
The composition is natural, so it’s not scary to give animals. In addition to the components that accelerate growth and weight gain, increasing productivity, there is a vitamin-mineral complex. Very happy! "
Rabbit Diseases and Treatment
Improper maintenance, feeding and care can lead to rabbit disease:
- Diseases of the digestive organs associated with feeding low-quality food and unsanitary conditions of the room. These diseases are accompanied by symptoms such as bloating, diarrhea, constipation, sometimes with blood or mucus.
- Cause of respiratory disease There may be a draft, overheating or overcooling of the animal. Weakness, lethargy, sneezing, redness of the mucous membrane give these diseases. Inflammation of the lungs and bronchitis are often accompanied by difficulty breathing with wheezing.
- Eyed Eyes a rabbit can be the result of developing conjunctivitis and other eye diseases.
- Diarrhea, weakness, weight loss are often the cause of infection of the rabbit worms.
- Severe itching, redness, causeless anxiety They say that the animal fleas bred.
- Unhealthy hair and hair loss are the result of ticks settling on the body of an ornamental rabbit.
- Mosquitoes, Fleas and Ticks are often carriers of a disease like myxomatosis. Cones or watery nodules appearing on the body of a decorative rabbit can be used to establish this disease.
- Urine with a touch of red may be caused by diseases of the bladder, polyps, kidney stones.
- Decorative rabbits can be susceptible to various tumors that occur when the ability of cells to normal cell division, growth and development is impaired.
- Benign tumors (fibroadenoma, papilloma).
- Malignant (sarcoma, adenocarcinoma, lymphoma).
Parasites, bacteria and various viruses can lead to infectious diseases.
The most common infectious diseases include:
- Viral hemorrhagic disease of rabbits.
- Infectious mastitis, renitis and stomatitis.
Vaccination of ornamental rabbits occurs in two directions:
- viral hemorrhagic disease.
When traveling with your beloved pet, you may need to be vaccinated against rabies.
One of the methods of preventing various diseases is the use of vitamins and vitamin preparations. With a balanced diet, the need for additional vitamin preparations, as a rule, is absent. Vitamins for decorative rabbits are prescribed by a veterinarian during various diseases.
Games and education of decorative rabbits
When buying a decorative rabbit, you first need to gently and unobtrusively accustom him to his hands. And only after the animal finally mastered the new place, and will happily meet the owner, proceed to his taming and training.
- Rabbits love attention and affection. In order to gain confidence and place the rabbit to yourself, you should take him up and iron him more often, paying attention to how the animal reacts to this or that movement.
- The main entertainment in the life of a pet are safe toys. The favorite toy of the rabbit will allow you to keep furniture, wallpapers, slippers, and other things intact. Toys can be purchased at a specialty store or made independently of the available material.
- The decorative rabbit can easily make friends with non-aggressive pets. (a cat, not a big dog) and fun to bring time with them. You must unobtrusively begin to acquaint animals with each other, gradually increasing the time of joint stay.
- Rabbits are very sensitive to rustles and loud sounds. Therefore, not every owner can see how and when his pet sleeps.
- Another feature in the behavior of rabbits can be distinguished drumming beats with hind legs. This is a natural innate instinct that warns fellows of the approach of danger. In the same way, an ornamental rabbit may express its dissatisfaction with something: feeding, maintenance, or it is just boring for him now.
How to raise rabbits?
The ears of a decorative rabbit are quite gentle and sharp movements can hurt the animal. Therefore, in order to get the rabbit out of the cage and not to harm it, it is necessary to take one hand under the front paws, and the second to hold the hind.
When the rabbit tries to escape, it is necessary to press him to himself and in movements, in the language of animals, to explain that he is safe.
With cage content, daily walking of ornamental rabbits is necessary. This can be done both in the apartment and in the open air. For a walk in the fresh air, you can buy a harness for walking rabbits at the pet store.
Однако если кролик приучен к рукам и легко отзывается на свое имя, шлейку лучше не использовать. Если нет возможности свободного выгула кроликов, можно использовать для этих целей переносной вольер.
Для прогулок лучше выбирать теплую, безветренную погоду. Температура воздуха при этом не должна опускаться ниже -5◦С. Hypothermia can adversely affect the condition of the ornamental rabbit.
Rabbits also suffer very poorly in rainy weather and humid air. A wet through rabbit is prone to colds and inflammatory diseases. Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight in the summer is a frequent cause of heat and sun in decorative rabbits.
Breeds of decorative rabbits
Currently, there are about 83 breeds of rabbits and breeding work on the breeding of new, improved breeds continues.
Let's name the most common ones:
- Shorthair color dwarf differs from other rocks by its cylindrical body, large head and short legs. Their females are deprived of dewlap. The coat color is very diverse.
- Rex breed characterized by a short oval body, strong neck, small tail, long ears 11-12 cm. Rex's shiny short fluff is a bit like teddy bears.
- Hermelin endowed with white wool, erect ears, short tail. Its weight does not exceed 1.5 kg.
- Fold sheep. This breed is given by charming hanging ears and a soft, calm nature, perfectly trainable.
- Angora Dwarf Rabbit even on ears it is covered with wool of a white, black, yellow color. The mass of the rabbit of this breed does not exceed 1.5 kg.
- Lionhead rabbit got its name because of the presence of fluffy wool of various colors, resembling a mane.
- Fox pygmy rabbit. It is distinguished by its small size, short erect ears and body, strong muscles.
- Dwarf rabbit characterized by broad shoulders, short paws, standing ears. The weight of such a rabbit does not exceed 1.2 kg.
Ognevka, hare, butterfly are no less in demand among fans of ornamental rabbits.
As you can see, the care and maintenance of cute decorative rabbits in residential conditions does not pose any difficulty. And the correct and timely upbringing of a small pet from the very first days of appearance in the house will bring a lot of joyful emotions and impressions for the whole family.
Reviews on the content of decorative rabbits:
How to choose the breed of decorative rabbit?
Breeds of ornamental rabbits are classified:
- by weight bodies (large, medium and small)
- along the length of wool (long-haired, normal and short-haired).
The animals differ not only in appearance, but also in character. Some breeds are quite capricious and can give a lot of trouble to the novice owner. Will consider most popular breed of dwarf rabbits.
Angora Dwarf Rabbit - longhair. In appearance, the animals of this breed resemble a lump of fluff, from which their ears barely look out. Even muzzle is covered with long hair (up to 20 mm). These rabbits require constant labor-intensive care: wool should be combed every 3-4 days, and during the molt period - daily, otherwise the fallen lumps will have to be cut off. Angora rabbits are medium-sized, up to 1600 g. This breed is recommended for those who already have experience keeping rabbits.
Angora Dwarf Rabbit
Lionhead rabbit hailing from Belgium. Representatives of this breed are owners of a luxurious mane adorning the neck, with hair short on the body. On lionheaded rabbits it is worthwhile to stop your choice for those who want to have a long-haired animal, but are not ready to spend a lot of time on fur care. The weight of adult animals is 1000-1600 g, the colors are various. Lionhead rabbits have a calm character, love affection, get along with children.
Fox Pygmy Rabbit, in contrast to the lionhead, almost completely covered with thick and long (up to 7 mm) hair, only a smooth face. The average weight of 1200 g, the most common colors - red or brown, but there are many. Forepaws disproportionately short. Rabbits of this breed are both aggressive and phlegmatic. Fox rabbits should not be chosen as pets for children, they require careful care.
Fox Pygmy Rabbit
Hermelin - completely white, normal hair. These rabbits have small ears, a short neck - features that give them the appearance of a charming toy. The animals are small, the weight does not exceed 1500 grams, but usually less than a kilogram. Germelins poorly tolerate heat, it must be considered when choosing a place for a cage or an aviary. The rest is unpretentious, but very capricious, beginner breeders with such pets will not be easy.
Rex (Royal Dwarf) - short-haired, very soft to the touch, fur "plush", like a chinchilla. The variety of colors is impressive: the animals can be of any color, both monochromatic and with spots. Representatives of this breed are more susceptible to other skin diseases, because they have reduced the protective function of the skin. Weight up to 1500 g, a characteristic feature - almost not developed mustache. Most individuals have a balanced character, even phlegmatic.
Pygmy Rex Rabbit
Color Dwarf Rabbit - one of the most popular breeds in Russia. Normally woolen, average weight is 1000 g. Unpretentiousness, a variety of colors (there are up to 60 variations), playful and active temper are the qualities due to which novices or families with children can choose on this breed. Sometimes, during puberty, males are aggressive, but by the age of 1-1.5 years, most animals again become affectionate and friendly.
Dwarf ram - fold rabbit. The length of the ears is measured in the same way as the wingspan of a bird: from the tip of one ear to the tip of the other in a horizontal position, it is 21-28 cm. Fold-eared rams are larger than other decorative breeds, their weight reaches 3000 grams. . Ideal pets for children.
Dwarf rabbit breed sheep
Dutch dwarf rabbit - owner of an unusual color: the back half of the body and the head are the same color as the eyes, the rest of the coat is white. Normally woolen, weight reaches 2200 g. Playful and affectionate, able to get along with other pets.
Those who want to get an eared pet with an unusual color, should look at such breeds as ognevka, dwarf hare and dwarf butterfly.
Rabbit Dwarf Butterfly
The breeds of dwarf rabbits are very diverse., among them, everyone will be able to choose the animal to their liking. Breeder specialists from nurseries or consultants in pet stores will answer questions about maintenance and care and advise on which breed to stay for those who first decided to start a decorative rabbit.
Features of the content of the dwarf rabbit at home
So, in the house will soon be a new pet. What to take care in the first place? Ornamental rabbits are kept at room temperature in a dry room without drafts.. At the same time, it should be possible to air the room: fresh air has a beneficial effect on the animal's health and prevents the appearance of an unpleasant smell. Dirt, dust, direct sunlight will inevitably harm the health of the rabbit.
Rabbit can live in a cage or aviary, but so that the animal could run and play, it should be released daily for a walk around the apartment.
To make the pet feel safe, he need a house - analogue of the hole, where you can climb entirely. It is undesirable to get a rabbit out of the shelter: the animal must know that there is a place where you can hide or rest, and where no one will touch it.
How to choose a cage for a pet?
- Min Cell Size- 70x40 cm. It should be spacious enough for the rabbit to move freely on it. The optimal height is the height of a rabbit standing on its hind legs, length is three jumps, width is two.
- For apartment poorly fit cells with monolithic walls: they are bulky, they are difficult to move. Comfortable cages with rods of wood and metal. Wood is a safe and beautiful material, the only drawback is that the rabbit will surely nibble the cage and it will quickly lose its aesthetic appearance. The animal will be comfortable in a metal mesh cage. If it is equipped with a plastic pallet, cleaning will be a matter of a few minutes.
- Open cell top will allow the pet to feel freer, but in this case the height of the walls must be such that the rabbit cannot jump over them.
- Cell bottom regardless of the material covered with litter. From sitting on a hard surface, rabbits develop poddermatitis - painful sores on paws.
- In the corner set the toilet tray. Rabbits get used to going to the toilet in the same place no worse than cats, although it will take more time to train. The presence of the tray simplifies cleaning the cage.
- On the cell wall fix the drinker (nipple drinker suitable for rodents). Bowls for food or also fixed on the wall, or put on the floor. For rabbits, choose a ceramic or metal feeder with a flat bottom., heavy enough so that the animal does not turn them over.
- The cell is placed in a quiet and bright place.away from direct sunlight. The sun may be a small corner of the cage, then the rabbit at any time can go out to warm up or again to hide in the shade. A curious pet will be happy if the cage is installed on an elevation, which will provide a good overview. Rabbit with interest will observe what is happening in the apartment.
- If there is a cat or dog in the house, they should not have free access to the cage. Joint games with other animals are possible only under the supervision of the owner.. The predator sniffing the cage will be very disturbing to the rabbit, which by its nature is a victim.
- In the cage put a house shelter. The rabbit, which has no place to hide, is subjected to stress.
How to care and keep decorative rabbit in the apartment
- For rabbit health is very important balanced diet. The animals are fed with grass and hay, cereals, fresh vegetables and complete specialized feed.
- Rabbits eat up to 30 times a dayfeed must always be available. At the same time, it is necessary to immediately remove from the cage not eaten remnants of food, which may deteriorate so that the pet does not poison itself.
- Succulent feed (vegetables, fruits, grass) are not suitable for rabbits under the age of 3 months. Babies are given hay and mixed fodder.
- Rabbits happy to eat meadow herbs. Having decided to pamper your pet, you need to check that poisonous plants are not caught in the collected grass. Grass for animals torn away from the roads.
- Cereals and legumes pre-soaked or boiled.
- For grinding teeth animals offer solid feed: young twigs of aspen, apple, willow, birch. A useful delicacy will be dried pieces of bread.
- Mineral Supplements (bone meal, chalk) give all the animals, with the exception of those who receive complete feed.
- Rabbits who regularly run around the apartment and get enough exercise, you can not walk. But walks in the fresh air will bring joy to both the owner and the pet. Before making sure that there are no dogs, debris, poisonous plants nearby, the animal is allowed to walk in the park or in a secluded meadow. Even the most calm the rabbit must be on a harness or leash: frightened by something, the animal can run away, and it will not be easy to catch him on the street.
- Once in 3 weeks the rabbit is cut its claws. Use a forceps or claw cutter to cut off the tip of the claw 1-2 mm long so as not to touch the blood vessels (they are clearly visible to the lumen). If the animal has bled, the claw is washed with hydrogen peroxide.
- Do I need to wash the rabbit? Veterinarians claim that bathing is a great stress for animals and is contraindicated for a variety of reasons.
- Water treatments violate the skin’s natural protective lubricant.. As a result, the coat becomes dull, falls, the animal feels itchy.
- Bathing often becomes cause colds.
- Stress, which is experiencing the animal, can be deadly.
- Rabbits monitor the purity of the wool on their own, carefully licking. With proper care no need to wash.
But there are situations when you can not avoid swimming. For example, if the eared pet is very dirty, overheated, or has diarrhea. How not to harm your pet?
- Wash the rabbit in the sink or basin more convenient and easier than in the bath.
- Prepare room temperature water or a few degrees warmer.
- Whenever possible the animal is better not to wet the whole, and wash only contaminated sites.
- Detergents better not to use. If you can not do without them, buy a special shampoo for rabbits. It is necessary to rinse the wool very carefully, so that later the animal, after licking, does not poison itself.
- Water the animal safer not from the shower, but from the bucket or mugs.
- The head, especially the ears and nose, you can't wet.
- It will take an assistant to keep a rabbit. Scared animal can break out and hurt yourself.
- Important avoid drafts. All windows and doors should be tightly closed.
- Wool thoroughly with a towel.. Until the animal is completely dry, it is undesirable to let it go to the floor, it is better to leave it on the sofa or pick it up.
- For drying wool do not use hair dryer: noise scares animals, and tender skin is easy to burn.
Pet Breed Selection
Having decided to start a decorative rabbit, you first need to decide on the breed. Thanks to the selection work, more than 200 pedigree lines were bred for every taste. Among them are short-haired, long-haired rabbits. They differ in size, fit and length of the ears, color and character.
Popular breeds for home content:
- lop-eared dwarf ram,
- Viennese blue
- dwarf rex,
Each breed has its advantages and disadvantages. When choosing, it is worth considering how troublesome wool care will be. If it is long and fluffy, you will have to brush the animal every day. For families with children, breeds that are distinguished by a kind and docile character, such as dwarf rex and dwarf ram, will do.
Attention! It is better to buy a rabbit in the nursery or from breeders with a good reputation.
Key features of home care
The maintenance of decorative rabbits involves the arrangement of comfortable housing for them, the provision of good nutrition, and health care. These animals have several features:
- They have a weak immune system. In order for the animal to remain healthy, you will have to be vaccinated regularly, carefully monitor hygiene and nutrition.
- They are shy. From a loud sound a pet may die. Changing the situation, a trip to transport is stressful.
- The rabbit needs to move a lot, he will have to walk in the apartment and on the street, play with it.
- During puberty under the influence of hormones, pets show aggression. If the breeding of ornamental rabbits is not included in the plans of the owner, it is best to neute or sterilize the animal.
- Rodents eat vegetable food, they can not be fed sweets, meat, sausage.
- Rodents become attached to the owner and are amenable to training.
If you are going to have an eared pet, it is important to consider its features. With good care, domestic rabbits live 5–8 years.
Selection and arrangement of cells
The content of decorative rabbits at home suggests the presence of a cage. It should be spacious. Up to 2 m2 of free space is allocated per 1 adult. The size of the dwelling is directly dependent on the breed. If the pet is a dwarf, then the cage will need a small one.
Preference is given to structures in which to fit a small house for rest, a tray and there will be a place for games of the animal. Having risen to its full height, the animal should not rest its head against the ceiling. Decorative rabbits can not be kept on the net floor, their paws are tender. At the bottom of the cell lay a bed of hay.
Tray set in one of the corners of the home. Next to him have sennik - rabbits often emptied during meals. The dwelling will be equipped with a feeding trough and a drinker. In order to protect against overturning capacity is fixed on the walls of the cell.
Attention! Inside the house for the rodent place a house in which he will hide when he wants to rest or he will be scared.
Where to put the cell in the apartment?
Choosing a cage for a pet, it is important to find a suitable place for it in the house. It is usually placed in the quietest room. For these purposes, not suitable for children, hallway or kitchen. Hall or living room is preferable.
When choosing a place for a cell, other factors are taken into account:
- good ventilation
- lack of draft
- temperature conditions.
Rodents tolerate coolness more easily than heat. They are comfortable at a temperature of + 17 ... + 24 degrees. You should not place the cage near heating radiators and under direct sunlight - the animal may die from overheating.
Attention! If the rabbit is hot, you can cool it by rubbing the ears with a damp cloth.
Meet the pet
Having completed the arrangement of the place where the animal will dwell, you need to get acquainted with it. How to tame the decorative rabbit to the hands, it is important to know in advance, it depends on how the relationship with the owner in the future. In the first days of the animal will be concerned about the change of the situation. After the purchase it is recommended to leave it alone, to give the opportunity to settle in a new place.
После непродолжительной адаптации можно подойти к клетке и угостить зверька кусочком моркови, просунув его через решётку. Let him take a treat. The animal should get used to the smell of the owner. On the 3rd or 4th day it is worthwhile to let the little rabbit out of the cage and stroke him. Soon he will begin to perceive caress calmly.
When taming the rabbit to the hands, you should avoid such actions:
- you cannot approach the animal from behind, so do wild beasts,
- it is forbidden to take it out of the house by force, to pull it by the tail and paws,
- hold it against your will on your lap
- compress his body
- scream, beat.
The manifestation of patience and love will soon bear fruit, the pet will get used to the new family. After that it is worth learning how to train an ornamental rabbit. These are intelligent creatures, they are able to master a few simple commands and tricks.
Clean - the guarantee of health. This rule applies to rodents. His home will have to do the cleaning regularly. The litter from hay is changed every 3 days. Tray cleaned daily. The filler should be completely changed 1-2 times a week to avoid the appearance of an unpleasant odor.
It is important to monitor the cleanliness of the drinker. It is filled daily with fresh water. Capacity itself is disinfected once a week, scalded with boiling water. The feeder is regularly washed with soda solution, removing food residues.
Attention! For disinfection cells and dishes do not use household chemicals.
If the animal gets dirty, it is washed, but not completely, but partially. Bathing for a decorative rabbit is a big stress. During the procedure, the windows are closed, warm water is poured into the basin and the dirty parts of the body are carefully washed - paws, under the tail. Animal ears can not be wetted. Only special rabbit shampoos are allowed. After bathing, the wool is thoroughly soaked with towels and placed in heat.
Bathing decorative rabbit
The owner of the animal will have to cut his claws every 3 or 4 weeks. This procedure is carried out carefully using special wire cutters. Wool also requires care. Every day it is cleaned, especially during the moult. Rabbits constantly lick themselves and swallow hairs, but they do not know how to regurgitate wool like cats. As a result, lumps accumulate in the intestines that impede digestion.
The diet of the decorative rabbit should be varied. It includes:
- cereals and legumes,
- vitamin and mineral supplements.
Eared little animals are very fond of fresh grass, but it is poured before distribution. Freshly cut greens contain a lot of moisture and essential oils, and therefore can cause intestinal upset. Not any grass is suitable for feeding decorative rabbits. The diet can include:
Hay and twigs - roughage, thanks to which pets grind their teeth. Every day, the animal put an armful of dried grass the size of himself.
Attention! The decorative rabbits receiving complete feed, do not need additional feeding.
Vegetables are washed thoroughly before serving. Little rabbit crushed them. New products are introduced gradually, giving the opportunity to get used to them. In case of detection of unpleasant symptoms, the food that caused the disorder is excluded from the diet.
Feeding decorative rabbit
Domestic herbivorous rodents can not be fed meat, pastries, convenience foods and sausage. Such food provokes the development of diseases of the digestive system.
Rabbits are mobile animals, they love to play and frolic. Metabolism slows down if the pet is constantly in the cage, where there is no opportunity to run. Every day, the animal is released for a walk around the apartment, and in the warm season they are taken outside.
Inside the house are placed toys - hanging rings, tunnels and mats, so that the animal has something to do. While walking around the house, the rabbit can be trained by setting obstacles and manholes. Physical activity decreases in old age. Old rabbits rest most of the time.
Walking on the street
In summer animals are walking in the open air. For this you need a leash for a rabbit or a harness. Such uniforms will not allow the animal to escape.
A good place for walking is a park or a garden near the house with soft grass. Since rabbits are fearful, it is important that no one near makes a noise. They walk with an eared rodent in calm windless weather.
Attention! To protect the animal from insects will help the collar. Houses do not wear it, but this attribute is necessary for a walk.
Diseases of ornamental rabbits
Keeping and caring for an ornamental rabbit at home implies taking care of his health. These animals suffer from various diseases, most of them are provoked by mistakes made in nutrition and care, and some are caused by viruses and bacteria.
Signs of indisposition in a rabbit:
- loss of appetite,
- tooth gnash
- disheveled look
- diarrhea or constipation
- wet muzzle
- discharge from the eyes, nose,
- spots, bumps on the body.
Diseases of the decorative rabbit
Having found a rabbit in a similar condition, it is necessary to show it to the veterinarian without delaying the visit to the clinic for later.
Vaccination helps protect the animal from infectious diseases. Serious danger to the life of the animal are:
Vaccinations are done in the veterinary clinic since the age of one and a half months. Getting a small animal from the breeder, it is necessary to find out whether it was vaccinated. This information is contained in the documents. In the future, the pet owner must adhere to the vaccination schedule.
Attention! Rabies vaccination is not on the list of mandatory, but it is desirable to do it, because this disease is dangerous to humans.
Before vaccination, the animal is treated for worms. The pet must be completely healthy at the time of injection. Vaccination for myxomatosis is first performed at one month of age, and then every 6 months. The vaccine for VGBK is administered at 6 weeks. There are complex drugs that form immunity to two diseases at once. They are used from the age of one and a half months.
Signs of puberty and reproduction
Pet grows fast. In 4-5 months, his hormonal changes, puberty begins. At this time, the owner of the animal to decide - to castrate him or find him a pair.
Mature individuals deliver a lot of trouble to the owner. Males mark territory, scattering litter. From their genitals secreted a secret with a strong smell. Pet behavior is also changing - it becomes aggressive.
Castration or sterilization will help solve the problem. The procedure is carried out after the rabbit has reached the age of four months in a veterinary clinic. If the breeder has a desire to breed rabbits, then the pet will need a pair.
Attention! Rabbits multiply rapidly. The female sex hunting occurs every 6-10 days, depending on the time of year and conditions of detention. Pregnancy lasts 28–31 days, in a litter there are from 4 to 12 cubs.
The female and male are kept in the same cage. After successful mating, the rabbit is removed. She needs peace, full care and feeding, then healthy offspring will be born. In the cage of the females establish uterine house, there will be kids until it leaves the nest.
Care and maintenance of the decorative rabbit at home requires patience and love from the owner. These animals are sensitive and weak, they need reverent care every day. When acquiring a pet, it is worthwhile to think well whether the owner can provide the animal with everything necessary.