Fluid stools and nausea are alarming symptoms indicating problems in the cat's body.
The main reasons for such violations include:
- change of dry food,
- clumps of hair inside the stomach,
- allergic reactions
- helminthic invasions,
- drug, food or chemical poisoning,
- diseases of the liver, pancreas or kidneys,
- excessive eating or lack of thorough chewing,
- infections of bacterial and viral etiology,
- inflammation or the presence of tumors in the digestive tract,
- improper diet, based on products harmful to the animal,
How to determine the cause of the symptoms
To determine the reason why a cat vomits, it is important to observe the duration of symptoms shown:
- Day. If after 24 hours the pet has returned to normal, then nothing threatens its health. In this case, the reason lies in: the wrong transition to a new feed, accumulated woolen clumps, eating animals with expired foods, swallowing fast, or excessive amounts of food eaten.
- More than a day. Such a duration requires medical intervention and diagnosis. The reason may be banal negligence of the owner, who left the cat in a warm car, and inflammatory processes inside the body.
In addition to time, an important role is played by:
- The composition of the vomit: found pieces of food that have avoided digestion, signaling gastric diseases: gastritis, ulcer, pancreatitis. White foam means poisoning or the appearance of inflammatory processes.
- The presence of blood. This suggests possible injury to the internal organs or the presence of parasites.
- Color vomit. A yellowish tint indicates liver disease.
What to do when diarrhea and vomiting
What to do if the cat began to wear out - you should wait for the first day.
From the owner is enough:
- arrange an animal fasting day,
- give your pet access to fresh and purified water,
- thoroughly wash the catware without detergent to eliminate possible bacteria.
For an accurate diagnosis is required:
- analyze the blood, feces and urine for the presence of worms and inflammations,
- make ultrasound and x-rays to understand the general picture of the state of the organs,
- check the intestines for infections,
- perform a biopsy and endoscopy to detect tumors.
Depending on the underlying cause, the pet is prescribed treatment, including:
- anthelmintic drugs for removing worms,
- intravenous fluids and vitamins for severe dehydration and exhaustion,
- antibiotics to suppress infections
- feeding a special line of medical feed,
- prebiotics for restoring intestinal microflora,
- antacids that neutralize increased acidity (phosphalugel),
- antihistamines, preventing allergic reactions (observe the dosage),
- anti-inflammatory corticosteroids,
- adsorbents, binding and removing toxins from the body.
When caring for a sick pet, watch for:
- The quality of the diet. If natural food is used for feeding, it should be light and balanced. The daily rate is temporarily reduced and is divided into 5-6 small receptions.
- Active. Recovering the body should be protected from outdoor games and walks on the street.
As a rule, the prescribed treatment is medical, and if the cat continues to vomit, then in some cases it will not be possible to do without surgical assistance:
- Malignant tumors. Such formations threaten to be fatal and require mandatory removal.
- Intestinal obstruction. Intestinal blockage can lead to its rupture and large-scale intoxication.
In conclusion, I will note the list of preventive measures that can save a pet from unpleasant consequences:
- Transfer the cat to a new feed gradually. Mix the new version with the old one, increasing the proportions with each feeding.
- Use special preparations that facilitate the withdrawal of wool. In addition to ready-made developments made in the form of treats, you can add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to food every day.
- Do not allow handouts from the table and the use of expired products.
- In the absence of saturation in the pet, ready to eat food before losing pulse, install fractional power. A veterinarian will help calculate the norms safe for the animal.
- Throw away uneaten food. The food left is fertile soil for pathogens.
- Treat, observing vaccination and deworming.
- Choose high-quality feed and fresh food. Keep track of the amount of vitamins consumed.
This is the most common cause of diarrhea and vomiting in cats. Poisoning provoke:
- Poor quality dry food.
- Food from the table.
- Rotten, stale food.
If the cat eats food of economy class, you should not be surprised vomiting and diarrhea.
Accustomed to treat your favorite pieces from the table? Feed the kitty what's left of your meal? Forget about this habit once and for all. The cat is not a man. Her stomach cannot digest what people eat without problems. Spicy and salty dishes, sausages, sausages, smoked or fried foods, including fish, are not cat food. If you have already decided to feed your darling with “human” food, then cook for it porridges with meat or fish. Without salt and spices, of course.
Pet - lover of digging in the trash? He could get some food out of there. It can hardly be called good, after staying in the bin.
Access to the garbage should be denied. Fences off her pet. Then do not have to wrestle with the question of the occurrence of diarrhea and vomiting in cats.
What to do?
How to be the owner if his pet poisoned? As a rule, the symptoms of the disease disappear within 24 hours. First, the cat does not get off the tray, and it vomits. When vomiting, food remains. The symptoms gradually subside, and the painful condition decreases.
If everything has passed in 24 hours, the owner should do the following:
- Do not give the cat food during the day. Be sure to exclude dry food.
- Pet should have access to clean water. The body is dehydrated, it needs to replenish the water balance.
- There is an opinion that “Almagel” or “Fosfalyugel” give fluffs to calm the stomach. But before you pour medicine into your pet, consult with your veterinarian.
When cats have diarrhea and vomiting, the owners are lost. This cannot be done, for in many cases it is necessary to act very quickly.
How to understand that the pet poisoned chemicals? Symptoms may be:
- Sluggish condition.
- Rapid breathing.
- Eyes grow turbid.
- Emetic urges regular. The cat has diarrhea and vomiting white foam.
- A loss of balance may begin.
How to help the purr? Urgently go with him to the veterinary clinic. Chemical poisoning is dangerous due to its high toxicity. The younger a cat is, the less chance it has to survive. This is due to rapid dehydration.
Try to remember where the animal tried the chemistry. What could it be? Perhaps you washed the floor with a special tool, and the pet decided to try this water? Perhaps you washed the cat with a “human” shampoo or left the dishwasher tablets in the access area? If you can remember and voice the vet that could be the cause of the poisoning, it will be easier for everyone.
Unfortunately, often the owners of cats that go out on the street, do not know what poisoned their pet. On the street, he can eat a chemical that someone chose to poison the mice, as such bait usually has a pleasant smell. Even a mouse, full of poison and caught by your cat, can cause poisoning. Save a pet in such situations can, if you urgently turn to professionals.
Worms in the body
If the cat has diarrhea and vomiting with blood - this is a sign of the presence of parasites in the body. Veterinarians recommend that all animals, including cats, give anthelmintic agents once a quarter. This applies to absolutely all pets, even those who sleep on the owner's pillows and eat only expensive cat food.
What if a similar situation arose? Contact your veterinarian without delay. In this case, only he will help.
Before you answer the question of how to treat diarrhea and vomiting in cats, it is necessary to establish the cause of this condition. The pet is taken to a veterinary clinic and they pass such tests:
- They take blood and feces from cats.
- Urine for analysis may take, but may not take.
- Required biopsy sampling.
- An x-ray is prescribed if a tumor is suspected.
- Do endoscopy.
- Conduct an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity.
Only after that the veterinarian prescribes the necessary treatment.
Does your cat vomit without diarrhea? Consider what this may be connected with.
Sometimes an animal gets hungry vomiting. A yellow foam comes out of the pet. Do not be scared. This vomiting stops quickly.
Do not forget that cats are big cleaners. They regularly lick, putting themselves in order. For this reason, wool is accumulated in their stomachs. It gathers into lumps and leaves the body through vomiting. This is absolutely normal.
Such vomiting can last about an hour. But if the wool came out, and the animal continues to tear, this is a reason to go to the veterinarian.
We have established the possible reasons why a cat has diarrhea and vomiting.
What if my pet has diarrhea only? It is necessary to observe the state of the animal. Is the cat constantly running to the tray, but is it cheerful and cheerful? Remember, maybe you gave her milk. Most of the representatives of the cat are lactose intolerant (contrary to the opinion that milk is useful for fluffy pets). This product is beneficial only for kittens aged 1-3 months.
Another cause of diarrhea can be an abrupt change of feed. For example, always fed dry food, and then abruptly transferred to the pouch. From this the cats can also break the chair.
In any case, diarrhea should stop for a day. If this does not happen, take the cat and go to the veterinary clinic.
There is another reason why diarrhea and vomiting occurs in cats. This is a trauma. Suppose the animal received a strong blow. Internal bleeding has occurred. Pet vomits. There is severe diarrhea.
By the way, vomiting and diarrhea with blood in a cat is not only a sign of parasites. It is possible that the Fuzzy was injured. If the pet has a black stool, it is 100% internal bleeding. You can not hesitate. An urgent need to provide professional animal assistance.
How to avoid trouble
To diarrhea and vomiting foam cat did not occur, the owners need to follow these simple rules:
- Cat bowls must be kept clean. We always remember this.
- If the pet is fed natural food, and he has not finished his portion, the rest of the food is removed in the refrigerator.
- Water change regularly.
- We limit the contact of the pet with stray cats. You can get viruses from them.
- Once a quarter we give the animal pills for worms.
- Do not forget about the annual vaccination. This applies to all animals, even those that never go outside.
What remedies do the treatments for diarrhea and vomiting in cats? Appoint them to a veterinary specialist. The information provided is purely for reference:
- "Fosfalyugel". About him mentioned above. This remedy relieves stomach irritation and binds all toxins, helping their removal from the body.
- "Bifikol", "Probifor" and "Hilak Forte" contribute to the restoration of microflora in the intestines of the animal. The last drug is the most relevant, because pets are happy to lick it.
- Keep a good sorbent in the veterinary first aid kit.
- Activated carbon acts on the gastrointestinal tract of a cat in the same way as in human poisoning.
- Chamomile tincture Make a weak solution and drink out of the syringe without a needle.
- Will help with diarrhea and vomiting in cats "Ftalazol."
- Pricked the animal sodium chloride.
Again, all of these drugs should be used after diagnosis.
How to give medicine
Diarrhea and vomiting in cats is impossible to predict. The animal was active and fun, and now it looks like a rag. How to help your favorite fluffy?
Types of drugs that may appoint a veterinarian, we have discussed above. But the indications of dosages are not there. Do not worry, here you will find information on the dosage of a particular medicine.
- Chamomile solution is given every three hours in 5 ml.
- Half a tablet of activated charcoal is diluted in water. They are soldered immediately.
- Quarter tablets "Phthalazole" knead. Bred in water. Every half an hour, pour this solution into a pet.
- Adult animals are injected with 0.9% sodium chloride. 40 ml at a time.
- "Phosphalugel" give four times a day for half a teaspoon.
If vomiting and diarrhea in cats are associated with poisoning, the recovery period will last about two weeks. It is important to observe such recommendations:
- Buy special food for cats who have problems with the digestive tract.
- On the first day after the poisoning of the pet can not be fed.
- Be sure to drink fluffy. Dehydration occurs very quickly. Water is used boiled or bottled.
- If the pet refuses to drink on their own, water is poured from a syringe without a needle.
- All drugs prescribed by a veterinarian, to give the cat necessarily.
- If they prescribed injections (antibiotics, as a rule), then they should be placed as prescribed by a specialist.
- During the recovery period, it is necessary to strictly monitor the pet's nutrition. There should be no pieces from the table, cheap food and other "pickles" in the cat's menu. Only specialized feed.
- Dry food can be replaced by wet. We are talking about spiders. Just pre-ask the vet, which company is better to buy.
How to give pills and prick pet
Not always the owner knows how to carry out medical manipulations with the pet. Here are brief recommendations:
If you need to give the cat a tablet, dissolve the medicine in water. Drinking from a syringe is easier than swallowing. However, some who find it easier to give the whole pill. To do this, you need to take a pet in your arms, open its mouth and put the pill on the tongue closer to its root. Mouth immediately close and stroke the throat from the base of the jaw down, it will provoke swallowing movements of the animal. It does not need to be released immediately, otherwise it may spit out the pill. If the pet is not sitting quietly in his arms, it can be wrapped in a blanket to immobilize.
How to prick a cat? If we are talking about pricks under the withers, then the animal is placed on the hard surface of the stomach. Table - perfect. With the left hand hold the animal behind the back, and the right needle is inserted under the withers. It is more convenient to put a shot together. One person holds a pet, and the other stabs.
With intramuscular injections more difficult. We'll have to ask for help from households or neighbors. It is necessary to hold the cat firmly, because such injections are quite painful. The assistant holds the purr with both hands. It is best to hold your withers with your right hand, and to clasp your pet's torso with your left. The owner makes a shot in the right thigh. It is not necessary to treat the skin before the injection.
What to do if prescribed droppers? At home, this is almost impossible to accomplish. Therefore, the owner of the animal will have to carry it to the veterinary clinic.
It is said that a cat has nine lives. Some people believe that she herself can cure herself. It's a lie. There are diseases and problems that only a professional doctor can solve. The owner of the pet should try to prevent diseases: to give the cat a quality food, vitamins, antihelminthic drugs. It is equally important to monitor the cleanliness of animal bowls. If the pet is sick, you should immediately contact a veterinarian.
Causes of violation
If the cat returned to normal within 24 hours, diarrhea and nausea disappeared, then most likely the reason was a banal poisoning. Don't worry about that. However, to prevent this from happening in the future:
- exclude from the diet of the pet products of low quality or with a past use,
- try to change the diet,
- establish a clear time feeding the cat, try to prevent overeating in the animal and the ingestion of large pieces of food,
- Include in the cat's diet vegetable oil to improve the digestion of wool.
If the cat vomits and vilifies for more than a day, then the reasons for this may be:
- allergic reaction to food or medicine,
- infection of the body,
- helminths in the internal organs,
- formations in the gastrointestinal tract,
- adverse reactions to medications taken
- heat or sunstroke
- diseases of the liver and kidneys,
- reaction to a particular kind of food.
Причины рвоты у кошки с кровью кроются в наличии у животного гельминтов. Они проникают во внутренние органы и медленно разрушают их. Отсюда и появление в рвотных массах частиц крови.
What to do when the deterioration of the animal
If the pet often vomits and does not have diarrhea, it should be treated immediately. Any delay can threaten the health or even the life of a cat. In order not to worsen the situation of the pet is better to show a specialized doctor. A veterinarian after examination to establish the cause and prescribe an effective therapy. In order for the diagnosis to be more reliable, you should take samples of vomiting and feces for analysis.
But if it is not possible to show the cat to the doctor, then you need to know what to do at home when the cat has vomiting and diarrhea..
- The animal should not be fed for some time.
- All containers for eating and drinking a cat should be thoroughly washed and sterilized whenever possible.
- To facilitate the state of the pet should give him Bifikol or Probifor. Other drugs to give is strictly prohibited.
- It is necessary to provide a pet plenty of drink. In this case, the water should be purified, preferably bottled.
- When all activities do not bring relief, the company and diarrhea continue, then a visit to the vet is obligatory.
With prolonged vomiting and diarrhea, the cat begins to lose weight, the body becomes dehydrated, and this can be fatal. In order to prevent this, it is necessary to establish the cause of the ailment in a timely manner and eliminate it. This requires a diagnosis to identify possible pathologies.
The beginning of the diagnosis begins with the inspection of the animal. A visual inspection can help determine the cause of the disorder in the function of the gastrointestinal tract. Also, the doctor will be interested in detailed information about the diet of the animal, the medications used or vaccinations, if any.
Additionally, the doctor appointed:
- analysis of fecal deposits to detect traces of worms or pathogenic bacteria,
- blood test for biochemistry
- analysis for the presence of pathogens of intestinal diseases,
- ultrasound diagnosis of internal organs,
- endoscopic examination or biopsy if necessary.
After the diagnosis is made, appropriate treatment is prescribed, which will be effective for each individual case.
An important condition for the recovery of a cat is proper care and timely treatment. These two factors are key to the health of the animal and help prevent the development of diarrhea and vomiting.
When a cat has diarrhea and vomiting, and it continues for more than one day, it is impossible to do without therapeutic measures. To relieve inflammation of the stomach walls, human drugs, such as Fosfalugel, are suitable. It should be given to the cat as follows: type a small amount into the syringe without a needle, and inject it into his mouth. The jet should be directed at the sky of the animal. To the pet did not break out better to enlist someone's help and keep fluffy.
Improve the digestive process will help Hilak Forte. It can be added to the water that your pet drinks or you can simply lick off your finger. The taste of the medicine is like a cat and they just lick it off. These drops are allowed to give even a kitten in violation of the function of the stomach and diarrhea.
For some time, the cat needs to be transferred to a special veterinary food. It does not cause irritation of the gastric mucosa and contains in its composition absorbent fibers and excreting toxic substances from the body. Just keep in mind that high-quality veterinary food is never dry. After all, such food will only harm the pet and will not help in the fight against diarrhea and vomiting.
Preventing vomiting and diarrhea
The most common cause of malaise in a cat, diarrhea and vomiting is poisoning or disruption of the stomach due to malnutrition. To prevent such problems, prevention is important. Prophylactic measures for diarrhea and vomiting should include:
- the preparation of the diet according to the needs of the animal and its age,
- It is necessary to give preference to high-quality feed containing all the necessary vitamins and minerals,
- it is imperative to wash the cat's bowl after meals,
- to introduce cat for the prevention of antihelminthic drugs at intervals of once every three months,
- do not dramatically change the diet,
- keep your pet away from stray and wild animals,
- conduct periodic examinations of the animal from a veterinarian.
Although doctors recommend not to drastically change the pet's diet, but if the cat has diarrhea quite often, the reason for this may also be a monotonous diet. Do not dwell on the same food for the animal. Even if he eats it with pleasure now, then soon she will bother him. The cat will lose its appetite, and this is a direct path to indigestion, diarrhea and vomiting.
Doctors advise making cats menu varied. For example, the first day the basis of the menu may be boiled meat. It contains enough proteins necessary for the health and activity of the cat. On the second day, you can include river fish in the diet, and the next day - boiled sea fish. From her cat gets the necessary phosphorus.
Do not forget that cereals play an important role for the health of the pet. The best food option for a cat is any cereal with the addition of meat or fish. In addition, do not forget that the cat should receive clean water in sufficient quantities.
Such simple recommendations will help to avoid many of the problems associated with the health of your pet and reduce the risk of disruptions in the digestive system, such as diarrhea and vomiting.. Under such conditions, the cat will be active, cheerful and will delight its owner.
What to do with diarrhea and vomiting in a cat
In order to prevent the deterioration of the animal’s condition, and sometimes even to save a life, it is necessary to give it the correct first aid. First of all, you should calm down, collect the contents of feces and emetic masses and go to an appointment with a veterinarian.
If, for any reason, a cat’s visit to a specialist is not possible soon, you should take the following measures at home:
- do not give the animal food,
- rinse all bowls thoroughly
- restore microflora using drugs Probifor or "Bifikol",
- provide the animal with clean drinking water,
- show the cat as quickly as possible to a specialist.
Combined therapy of diarrhea and vomiting can only be prescribed by a veterinarian on the basis of the studies performed. Self-medication can lead to deterioration, up to a critical threshold.
Treatment of a cat, if it vomits and vomits, will depend on the reasons for this condition. Often, animals have diseases of the digestive system and its organs.
- If the appearance of vomiting and diarrhea caused food poisoning, the doctor may prescribe a treatment. "Atoxil" and "Enterosgel".
- If the reason was the presence of parasites in the cat's body, then their destruction would require taking antibacterial as well as anthelmintic drugs.
- Regardless of the cause, the animal needs to drink plenty of water. To do this, use pure water, preferably bottled.
- Antacids and probiotics will help restore the intestinal microflora.
- Relieve irritation of the gastric mucosa will help Phosphalugel. This drug is sold in any pharmacy. The gel is collected in a syringe without a needle and poured directly into the cat's mouth.
- Eliminate diarrhea can strict diet or special food that has medicinal properties.
- Perhaps the appointment of intravenous droppers, which are designed to combat dehydration.
To prevent diarrhea and vomiting in a cat, it is recommended that the following preventive measures be taken:
- Use in the diet only high quality food and fresh produce.
- Do not mix different industrial feed.
- Do not leave old food in a bowl, throw it away before the next meal and wash it thoroughly after that.
- Produce regular deworming.
- Do not change dramatically diet.
- Do not give contact to domestic cats with street animals.
Even after vomiting and diarrhea have stopped in a cat, it is necessary to protect its digestive system. To do this, feeding is done in portions, in small parts. During the week, after the symptoms disappear, the cat may remain lethargic and drowsy. Such a reaction is normal for a weakened body and does not require treatment.