American Bulldogs, or abbreviated for short, is a whole tangle of contradictions. Living on American lands, practically from the discovery of America, they were recently found out about them. With hot fighting blood in their veins, ambuli are loyal and good-natured family dogs. Can such opposite qualities be combined in one animal, and how did it happen that for a long time it was not known about the breed?
Origin of the American Bulldog breed
The American Bulldog, as an independent breed, has not yet been recognized by the International Canine Federation. Although their second name is Old English Bulldogs and they originate from the most ancient Molossian dogs, which originate in Ancient Egypt and the Assyrian kingdom.
The Middle Ages in England, as indeed, in other states, did not differ in special humanity, and at that time dogs with an evil nature, large size and absolute fearlessness were valued. Only such animals could participate in the bloody amusements of the time — battles with bulls.
Naturally, bull dogs, they are bulldogs, were then in demand and were worth fabulous money. But the dark ages pass, the baiting of bulls falls under the ban. Bulldogs are in disgrace, yes, in fact, lose not only their significance, but also the meaning of existence. Owners are not allowed to bring these formidable pets to the street without a chain.
But lovers of this breed did not agree with this state of affairs. They did not retreat and decided to breed a bulldog, but smaller. A new breed was born - a toy-bulldog, the progenitor of modern small bulldogs - French and English. It was during this period in England that the breeding of real bulldogs ceased.
And they could completely disappear from the face of the earth, if not for the British colonialism. People moving to the territory of the new lands did not leave their pets, but took them with them. So the bulldogs hit America.
Of course, here both people and dogs had to be tight, in the harsh conditions of the wilderness only one law acted - survival. However, for the Old English Bulldog, a job was found here as a universal farm animal. Bulldogs proved to be successful guards of livestock and human habitation; they were used as beasts of animals. And the dogs immediately proved their loyalty and unpretentiousness in care.
Possessing absolute insensitivity to pain, lack of a sense of fear, excellent endurance and instant reaction, they were able to become a support and protection for farmers in the then uninhabited places.
The story has preserved a lot of stories about how the Bulldogs successfully guarded vast plantations, participated in catching runaway slaves, grazed cattle and took part in the hunt. There was even talk that one bulldog could fight simultaneously with several wolves.
Being a working dog, the maintenance of a bulldog is unpretentious, so no one provided special conditions. At that time, there was no special value in the offspring of this breed, and the owner did not particularly care about puppies. People believed that the strongest should survive. In such severe conditions of the numerous litters, where there were 8-14 puppies, only 1-2 remained alive. The reason for this was that the bitches did not care much about the offspring, trying to better fulfill the requirements of the owner.
And indeed, the most healthy and strong puppies survived. From them, and originates the breed American Bulldog in the form that we used to see it.
Description of the American Bulldog
Looking at the images of "bull" dogs, which in the Middle Ages struggled with the bulls, it definitely comes to mind that the modern ambul has taken a lot from its ancestors in appearance.
Today it is a strong, muscular dog with a harmonious physique. Modern male bulldogs have a height of 58 to 67 cm, and their weight ranges from 34 to 52 kg. Females are slightly smaller - from 53 to 64 cm and weight from 27 to 38 kg.
The main features by which an ambulla can be determined are as follows:
- Head The American Bulldog is massive, its upper part is flat. The muzzle is distinguished by a decent width and square shape. The dog’s nose is characterized by a dark lobe and wide open nostrils. Bulldog cheeks have noticeable muscles.
- Lips have pigmented color, but small light spots are allowed as standard. The bulldog's lower jaw is quite pronounced, it is better if the dog has a tight bite.
- Ears planted high, they are small and hanging in position. The sternum is wide and deep. The back of the bulldogs is straight, moderately short.
- Tail slightly curved, it is thick at the base, gradually tapering towards the tip. During the periods of arousal, the dog is lying on its back, in a calm state it is lowered to the floor.
- Paws proportional to the body, strong. The front have a wide arrangement, the rear are a bit close. Bulldogs maintain an excellent balance during movement, so their walk is fairly free.
- Coat representatives of this breed are short, soft to the touch.
The main color of the ampoules is a combination of white with other colors, on a white background it can be black or brown. There are white-red, white-fawn, white-tiger specimens. Much less often puppies appear with pure white coat color.
American Bulldog Character
Many ordinary people view American bulldogs exclusively as fighting breeds. There is a deal of truth in it:
- These dogs have the characteristics of fighting dogs: they practically do not feel pain, possess remarkable strength and stubbornness.
- Previously, representatives of this breed were actively used in dog battles, as well as to fight larger animals.
- On the basis of this breed, new thoroughbred representatives for fighting were bred - American Pitbull, Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier.
As you can see, the breeders diluted the bulldog with blood to add phlegmatic and calm terriers to them. Today the bulldog is calm, calmness and patience. It is very difficult to make him rush to a person without a serious reason.
More than once the bulldogs showed true nobility, not trying to kill the fallen enemy. This characteristic feature of dogs often did not suit the organizers and spectators of the bloody circuses. But even in those days, there were people who did not welcome such entertainment, and as a working horse, the bulldogs were completely satisfied with them.
Pictured dog and puppy of american bulldog
Later, many people were able to consider not only the fighting, but also other qualities in the ambulance. It turned out that this is not a car for bloodthirsty shows, but reliable protection. And, besides, the Bulldogs are particularly loyal and love children very much.
The dogs of this breed are very smart, they do not bother the owner and closely monitor the situation in the house. When communicating with young children, they simply show angelic patience, enduring all sorts of executions.
Mind, strength and fearlessness, sometimes bordering on recklessness, allow the American bulldog to cope with various tasks, but at the same time they can make attempts to show their character. Often, pedigreed dogs are stubborn and capricious. The owner of such a dog will need strength of spirit to show more confidence and perseverance.
Bulldogs are perfectly trained, and you can start classes from an early age. Already from the first days of finding a new family member in the house, it is necessary to stop the kid’s attempts to dominate and in no case be allowed to bite himself and other family members, even in a fit of gambling. For any bite, a puppy should be punished by shaking by the scruff with immediate reprimand. So you can tell the dog at the very beginning who is the owner of the house. When raising a bulldog, this is extremely important.
Possessing a natural hostility towards strangers, the bulldog will be nervous at each reception of guests in the house. If this happens quite often, it is better to train your pet as a puppy to treat guests with respect. Later, the pet learns to distinguish good people from potentially dangerous ones.
Representatives of this breed need compulsory socialization. Otherwise there is a risk of getting a suspicious animal biting all outsiders.
If we consider the attitude of American bulldogs to other animals, then, in most cases, they only see them as a hunting trophy. Of course, the exception is the situation when a dog from a puppy age lived side by side with another pet. In this case, the bulldog can even get along with the cat.
American Bulldog Content Rules
American Bulldog dog breed at a photo
As already noted, American Bulldogs are easy to maintain, however, they also expect care and attention from the person.
You must take care of proper nutrition of the dog, selecting a special diet. This breed has its own peculiarity, its growth and development lasts up to 2.5-3 years, therefore during this period it is necessary to enrich the diet as much as possible.
In addition to meat, fish, cereals, dairy products and vegetables, the pet menu should include dry food, products containing fiber, vitamin supplements.
Puppies need to gradually accustom to the street, starting with four half-hour walks a day. In addition, the pet can be happy to accompany the owner during jogging, outdoor activities, hiking. Not bad to teach a bulldog to swim, it will contribute to his good physical condition.
Until the bone skeleton is completely formed, it is impossible to put adaptations with weighting compounds on the dog. For greater mental stability, it is recommended that pets be sterilized.
The grooming of an American Bulldog is quite simple. If the animal is dirty, you can remove the dirt with a damp cloth and wash the paws in a small container. Dogs do not require frequent washing. During the season of molting they need to be combed daily. Bulldog claws are clipped twice a month, eyes and ears should be cleaned regularly (read more about how to trim the dog's claws).
If you take care of your pet according to all the rules, then the animal will live a long (up to 17 years) life.
American Bulldog Photos
The cost of puppies American Bulldog
As in other breeds, the price here depends on many factors - whether there is a demand for this breed, the presence or absence of pedigree, and other criteria. Today, you can buy an ambulius puppy without pedigree for 2500-5000 rubles.
A puppy with a pedigree that is not intended to participate in show exhibitions and competitions, and is not suitable for the reproduction of offspring, will cost an average of 8,000-12,000 rubles. Tribal and exhibition American Bulldogs are valued much higher, their price starts from 20,000 rubles and this is far from the limit.
Given the popularity of American bulldogs in the modern world, many unscrupulous vendors are trying to sell puppies that have some similarities with this breed. You need to be careful when buying and it is better to purchase a pet from large breeders and clubs.
The breed of dogs American Bulldog is closely intertwined with the English Bulldog. Its name was first mentioned in England in the sixteenth century. At that time, bloody sport was gaining popularity, when bulls were hounded by specially trained dogs. This was called boule-baiting, and the word "bulldog" translated from English means "bull dog".
These animals were bred both for fights with bulls exceeding their size and strength, and for fighting armed people. The dog of this breed should have the strength, fearlessness and endurance, strong-willed character, high pain threshold, to unquestioningly carry out the owner's commands.
Surprising is the fact that the Bulldogs did not show involuntary aggression towards a person; it was almost impossible to get them out of themselves. This proves once again that the American bulldog, whose photos are simply amazing, is a faithful and fearless human companion.
Such a striking equilibrium of the animal can be explained by the fact that during a fight with a bull, loss of composure and control of the situation could lead to inevitable death. Later, immigrants from Britain began to come with their dogs to America. On the farms, these pets were simply irreplaceable: they hunted with them, they kept the livestock and property of the farmers. There is an opinion that the modern American bulldog is descended from the Old English Bulldog and the Bullmastiff.
At first sight
The appearance of this dog suggests that it is intended for protection, and in combination with impeccable flair it can be an excellent hunter for boars, foxes or work in the police as a search engine. The American Bulldog immediately commands respect. He is distrustful of strangers, and even with friends he is wary. However, this pet is able to give unlimited love and devotion to its family members.
Leo Tolstoy also had a bulldog. The writer appreciated his intelligence and fascinating beauty, devotion, courage and dedication. He even dedicated to Bulka (that was the name of the pet) a small series of stories. In one of them, Tolstoy tells bitterly how a wolf bit his friend during a hunt, after which Bulka contracted rabies, ran away from his master and died not far from his home.
In addition to Leo Tolstoy, this breed was appreciated by such celebrities as Charlize Theron, Alexander Rosembum, Brad Pitt, Reese Witherspoon.
The main feature of the character of the American Bulldog (when confronted with it may be certain difficulties) is its desire to lead. And if two individuals of the same sex live under the same roof, then there certainly is not a problem, as the dog will not tolerate even a hint of competition. At the same time, the American Bulldog is not only a strong and formidable dog, a reliable protector, but also a friendly friend, who is madly in love with his family. He is not averse to frolic with children, if they respectfully behave. His patience can only envy. The owner of such a dog must be a confident person. And if you timely restrain frequent gusts of domination and the desire to rule over other animals, you can ensure that your bulldog gets along with other pets living in the house.
You should not confuse aggressiveness with the innate courage that the American bulldog has. The description of the breed reads: a characteristic of the character of a bulldog is that he is able to carefully think over the situation and keep it under control. He will not for no apparent reason rush into battle. In a dangerous situation, you may get the impression that the dog is becoming cold-blooded. However, she only thinks about the line of defense and behavior. The owner may not be able to stop his pet, if he appreciated the threat. The American Bulldog, whose photo is capable of enchanting at first sight, is very smart. The animal is able to make decisions.
Young bulldogs are rather hostile to strangers, so if you like guests, you need to socialize your dog from a puppy age so that it does not grow unfriendly and suspicious. Over the years, your friend will learn to quickly assess situations, to distinguish good people from negative ones. Not only that, your American bulldog, whose character is quite versatile, will be able to distinguish between degrees of threat and falsity thanks to an amazing turn of mind. In other words, it is unlikely to distract him from the work performed by simulated maneuvers.
Care and maintenance
Some specific recommendations regarding the content of the Bulldogs are few. These are quite unpretentious dogs that feel well both in the apartment and in the yard of a private house. The American Bulldog has a short coat, tight to the body. Frequent water procedures are contraindicated, it should be fully bathed no more than twice a year. With frequent water treatments, hair loses its shine, dry skin is observed. As you get dirty, you need to wipe the bulldog's ears, eyes, nose with a damp cloth. Once every few months, trim his claws if they do not naturally grind on asphalt.
The American Bulldog, whose photos are presented in this article, needs regular physical exertion. Therefore, as often as possible, walk with your pet on the street. For him, more important is not how much time you spend on a walk, but how many kilometers you will pass. You can even go jogging or cycling with him. Bulldogs are constantly chewing on something. Thus, puppies develop not fully formed jaw, and adults train already formed. Give your friend a special toy made of thick rubber or a bone made from lived. Ordinary, especially tubular bones, will not work - they clog the stomach and may damage the intestines.
Upbringing and training
To raise a small bulldog you need to start from the very first days, as soon as it appears in your house. Не полагайтесь на самоконтроль и особенности характера, которыми животное наделила сама природа. Без активного человеческого участия собака вырастет неуправляемой.
На животное данной породы распространяются общие правила воспитания, но существуют и такие, которые направлены конкретно на собак породы американский бульдог. Отзывы владельцев еще раз доказывают, что это питомцы с характером.
Given their greater tendency to dominate, puppies need to be prohibited from biting both themselves and other family members. Do not think that while a pet is small, this is just a game, and when he grows up, he will definitely understand that it is impossible to do this. Strictly confident voice stop any attempt to bite, try to distract him with your favorite toy. If the puppy managed to make such a dirty trick, punish him. It can be a slight shake-up by the collar, a slap of a rolled-up newspaper for the rump. In addition, a strict reprimand will be relevant.
Look at the photos of American Bulldog presented in this article. Puppies are able to fascinate, adult dogs amaze with their strength and beauty.
Adult bulldogs are powerful and powerful dogs, so even a small puppy should not be allowed to pull a leash. The dog must go on par with the owner. Another point related to the power of the bulldog: do not allow him to jump on people. Having run away, the adult dog can bring the adult down to the ground. And imagine what will happen if such a dog jumps on a child? Ban your dog any unreasonable squabbles with other animals, in time stop the grin and growl.
Bulldogs quickly memorize commands. They love to learn something new. The main thing is that the owner was firm and confident in himself, ready at any moment to convince the obstinate animal.
What else is unique American bulldog? Owner reviews are similar in many ways. This is a dog that wants to take into account its rights in the house. She is a great manipulator, able to be a real angel for praise.
How to choose a puppy American Bulldog?
You have already read a lot of information about this breed, thought over the pros and cons, and firmly decided: "I want by all means that this dog to become my most faithful and devoted friend!". Please treat responsibly the acquisition of a puppy, because this is the most important stage in your future life together. Many when choosing a dog are interested in price. The American Bulldog is not a very expensive animal, the pricing policy depends on the exterior and the characteristics of a particular pet. More on this later.
Surely every dog owner knows that the dog is best to choose in kennels. Ask the breeder for documents on parents and information on the veterinary examination of each puppy. Do not choose a dog on the advice of others, rely in this matter only on yourself. You can help invite an experienced dog breeder or breeder from the side. Do not listen to the puppies' advertisements about the countless titles enjoyed by their American Bulldog. The description of the breed will help you determine the choice of a really standing puppy. You can personally travel litters, look at the parents. As an option - at the exhibition in advance to look at the future mom or dad of the desired puppy.
Experienced breeders claim that it is impossible to raise a strong and beautiful bulldog when there were 10-16 puppies under the mom. Choose a baby from a litter that includes no more than 6 individuals. If all puppies are left in the litter, this is obviously not done for breeding, but only because of the money.
American Bulldog puppies come in a wide variety of colors, but remember that white is their main color, it must be at least 30%. At the same time, solid sandy colors with a dark mask are unacceptable. It is quite probable that the bullmastiff “slipped” into the sort of such bulldog. Black color without so-called tiger spots may hint at the blood of a Rottweiler or a pit bull.
Healthy puppies of an American Bulldog should be well-fed, active, mobile, with a wet nose and clean ears. If you have noticed that the pussy is too cowardly or, on the contrary, overly aggressive, it is better to abandon it.
What is unacceptable in the exterior of the American Bulldog?
And now we proceed to the consideration of the exterior of this animal. As mentioned earlier, this is a sturdy, stocky dog of an athletic build. Males more stocky, bitches - sophisticated.
A dog of this breed should not be unnecessarily cowardly and timid, unwarranted aggression towards people or other animals is also unacceptable. In relation to the overall structure of the body and the size of the head, the ambulum should be relatively wide and large. An overly narrow head and muzzle are unacceptable in this breed. A dog should not have strabismus, asymmetry of the organs of vision.
The movements of the American Bulldog are quick, agile, and there is a pronounced springiness of the step. During movement, the legs should not be too wide apart or crossed. For the classic type, the so-called rolling gait is permissible - wiggling and slight rocking of the rear part of the body during movement.
According to the ABNA standard, dogs with deafness, neutered dogs or cryptorchus dogs, bitches during estrus are not allowed to exhibit.
It is worth talking about the problems that American bulldogs often face. Treated dogs are prone to allergies. This is usually a problem that lasts throughout the life of the pet, which requires the owner to adhere to a specially designed diet. There are also one-time allergic reactions, for example, to an insect bite, a chemical substance, a reagent on the streets of the city. This is not a big problem and passes after the cessation of the influence of the irritant factor on the body. A great inconvenience is brought to the owner by acquired or hereditary food allergies, so before buying a puppy it is important to talk to the breeder about this topic.
Another disease of the bulldogs, which brings many problems to the owner, is dysplasia of the hip or elbow joints. This is a very serious disease, sometimes requiring surgery. Joint problems in bulldogs entail years of constant treatment. Serious stages of the disease knock the dog out of the rut, do not allow it to lead a full life. Dysplasia can not be determined by eye on the movements of the animal or its appearance. Only computer diagnostics of joints for this disease is able to identify the problem.
- The current name of the breed appeared only at the end of the twentieth century. Before that, the dog was called like this: “white Englishman”, and “southern bulldog”, and “English blond”.
- It has been repeatedly said about the intelligence and intelligence bulldog. So, the intelligence of this dog is higher than that of Dobermans, Caucasian Shepherd Dogs, Mastiffs, Staffordshires and Rottweilers.
- In the American standard of this breed, in the “Character” section, the following was recorded: “Protecting the host in all situations, even at the cost of one’s own life.”
- If a bulldog is passionate about a duel, he is practically insensitive to injury and pain.
Many are interested in the question of how much the American Bulldog costs. A puppy without a pedigree on average can be bought for $ 120. In the presence of pedigree value increases. Puppies not intended for breeding and exhibitions are sold for $ 350. This is the average price. An American Bulldog with a good pedigree, intended for exhibitions and breeding, can cost about 800-850 dollars.
American Bulldog breed standard
Standard for examination on the territory of the Russian Federation.
Country of Origin: USA.
Date of publication of this standard: 2011
Application: companion and dog bodyguard.
FCI Classification: Group 11 Unrecognized breeds. Without workers test.
- General form: American Bulldog - a dog of medium or above average height, strong, athletic and proportionately folded. Coat short. The length of the body slightly exceeds the height at the withers. The head is large, wide, deep in the skull. The muzzle is short and wide. The ears are small, triangular in shape, hanging on cartilage, not cropped. The tail is long, reaching to the hock. An American Bulldog can never be confused with an American Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, or Dogo Argentino.
The type of constitution is strong, with elements of rudeness, powerful strong bones and well-developed muscles.
Sexual dimorphism is well expressed. Males are massive, larger in size and bony than bitches. Bitches less, but without the weakness of addition and bone.
- The body is a bit stretched. The length of the body can not exceed the height at the withers by more than 8% (format index). Stretch Index - 103 -108%
- The depth of the chest is about half the height at the withers.
- The girth of the neck in the middle, approximately equal to the girth of the skull, the length of the neck should not be shorter than the length of the head.
- The length of the muzzle is not more than 7 cm and makes up from 25% to 35% of the total length of the head.
- The combination of vigilance, courage and intelligence, responsiveness and friendliness towards the owner and family members, energy, mobility. The desire for superiority (dominant behavior) in relation to other dogs and some distrust of strangers is permissible. The American Bulldog can be both a companion and a working dog.
- Cowardice - the dog is considered to be excessively cowardly if he does not allow himself to be examined by the judge, he is afraid of approaching from behind, he is greatly frightened by unexpected and unusual sounds. An adult (from 1.5 years old) American bulldog, which has turned tail and is shaking in the ring, should also alert the judge.
- Aggression - a dog that attacks or tries to unprovokedly attack a judge or his handler is overly aggressive.
- A belligerent attitude towards other dogs is not considered a disqualifying sign.
- Cranial Portion
- Skull: voluminous, wide, and slightly rounded, rather high, slightly flattened forehead. Occiput is moderately pronounced.
- Stop: deep, well defined
- Front part
- Nose: Large with wide, open nostrils. Color lobes black, brown allowed, depending on color.
- Muzzle: Short, deep and wide at the base, moderately filled under the eyes, with a clear transition from the forehead to the muzzle. Slightly tapering towards the nose, the back of the nose is wide, straight. The eyebrow furrow is pronounced. The width of the muzzle under the eyes should be approximately equal to half the width of the skull. Brow arc moderately pronounced.
- Lips: tight, moderately moist, but not pendulous. The front edge of the upper lip is closed with the front edge of the lower lip. Preferred black pigment, brown - allowed.
Allowed (under the age of 15 months.) Small depigmented areas.
- Jaws / Teeth: Jaws wide, lower jaw, with a pronounced massive chin. Forms of bite - tight snack, snack with waste (the teeth should not be visible with the mouth closed).
- Teeth strong and healthy (without a trace of the disease). If possible, the incisors are located in one line, the canines are large and wide apart. The absence of up to 2 first premolars is allowed. For broken and worn teeth, dogs are not penalized if this does not interfere with the definition of a bite. With the mouth closed, the incisors and canines of the lower jaw should not be visible, the tongue should not be visible. Preference is given to larger teeth.
- Cheekbones: Strong muscular, well developed, rounded.
- Eyes: round, small, not protruding and not too deep set, widely spaced. Set straight. Eyelids tight, not pendulous. Seen from the front, the squirrels should not be visible. Eyes should not have noticeable eye problems.
- Eye color: From dark brown to light nut, preferably darker as possible, lighter eyes are allowed. Eyes should be brilliant, have a lively and energetic expression. Eyelids pigmented, desirable full stroke, tight. Allowed small depigmented areas, under the age of 24 months.
- Ears: hanging on the sturdy cartilage, which supports the ear on the forehead line (set high). Medium size, should not be longer than the distance from the base of the ear to the outer corner of the eye. The shape of the ear is triangular with a rounded end. Ears can be either in the form of a "rose" or lie flat on the head in the form of an "envelope".
- Topline: almost straight, slightly convex in the lumbar region. In puppies and juniors, a small, high-grade is permissible.
- Withers: Well pronounced.
- Back: strong, straight, wide and muscular.
- Loin: strong, resilient, slightly arched.
- Croup: Slightly oblique, rounded and wide, with developed massive muscles.
- Chest: wide and deep reaching to the elbows. The front part of the chest is well developed, the forbrust is pronounced. The ribs are well curved, rounded, not flat. Desirable long false edges.
- Bottom line: Smooth, moderately tucked up in the groin area. The belly is moderately taut, not slack and not sharply selected.
- Tail: Thick at the base, tapering gently towards the end. Relatively low set. It is desirable that the tail reaches the hock. The tail should be straight without kinks. In movement, it rushes at the level of the back, it can smoothly bend at the end.
- Forelegs: when viewed from the front, straight and parallel with each other with good volumetric bones, wide
- Postava. The distance between the front limbs should be noticeably larger than between the rear.
- Shoulders: Obliquely directed, with massive relief muscles.
- Shoulders: broad with massive, raised muscles. The brachial angle is not more than 100 degrees. Should not be very short and straight.
- Elbows: sent strictly back.
- The forearms: straight without curvature, wide with massive bone and developed muscles, sheer and parallel with each other.
- Wrists: wide and strong.
- Pasterns: Relatively short, strong and voluminous, when viewed from the side it may be slightly inclined. Seen from the front, straight and strong.
- Paws: paws rounded strong with clenched short fingers. Paw pads are well developed and elastic. The hind legs have a slightly more elongated shape.
- Hind limbs: with well developed, powerful, strong, prominent musculature. When viewed from the rear - smooth, parallel. The corners of the hind limbs are moderately pronounced.
- Hips: Moderately long and wide, with well-developed muscles.
- Lower thigh: Not long, wide, with well-developed musculature.
- Hock: Strong, dry, moderately pronounced.
- Hocks: wide, set vertically to the ground.
- Paws: arched, slightly narrower and longer than the front.
- Wool: short, no longer than 1.5 cm, tight and shiny.
- Color: white, white and brindle, white and red, brindle.
- White: pure white or with spots of acceptable colors - tiger or red.
- White-brindle: white with significant spots of any permissible color, or color with extensive patches of white.
- White-red: from dark red to light fawn.
- Brindle or red-brindle: from very dark, with red or pale yellow stripes, to light, with a rare dark tiger on a lighter, reddish background. Brown tiger color is allowed: brown tigers with a lighter, red or fawn background. With brown tiger color, brown pigment of the nose and lips is allowed.
- The preference is given to more bright and saturated shades.
- Colored dogs should have significant white areas, at least 1/3.
- Separate pigmented skin with bleached wool above them is not considered a disadvantage.
- Height at withers: Males 58 - 68 cm (preferably 63 - 65 cm). Bitches 55 - 65 cm (preferably 58 - 60 cm).
- Weight: The desired weight of a mature dog in the range from 45 to 60 kg.
The desired weight of mature bitches in the range of 35 - 50 kg.
Any deviation from the above characteristics in the standard should be considered a flaw or defect depending on the degree of expression.
- Some ease of addition, peculiar only to young dogs.
- Minor depigmented areas of the nose.
- Nonlinear arrangement of teeth, small teeth, teeth damaged by the disease.
- Ears polystoyachie on cartilage, heavy, thick, sluggishly holding.
- High set tail.
- Too short tail (to the knee joint)
- Unbalanced movements, weak push of the hind limbs, mincing step, amble at a trot.
- Timidity, fearfulness.
- The muzzle is long, wedge-shaped, strongly narrowed to the nose.
- Gray nose.
- Too bulging eyes with a bulging cornea, not covered by the eyelids, developed conjunctiva, raw sagged eyelids
- Gray, yellow or green eyes, different eye color, uneven coloring of the eye, the complete absence of pigmentation of the eyelid.
- Straight bite.
- Too big and low set ears.
- Sagging, humpbacked or narrow back, loose or humped loins, sloping croup, narrow pelvis, narrow, flat, barrel-shaped chest, saggy belly
- Размет, косолапость, искривление предплечья, недостаточное плечелопаточное сочленение (120 градусов и более), узкий постав, вывернутые наружу или внутрь локти, слишком свободные локти, мягкая пясть, плоская или распущенная лапа.
- Слабая мускулатура, узкие бедра, слишком тупые или слишком острые углы сочленений, бочкообразный постав, сближенные и слабые скакательные суставы, выворачивающиеся наружу при движении коленные суставы, саблистость.
- Hall tail, tail thrown back, tail corkscrew, docked tail.
- Tick fleecy - specks (numerous small spots covering all white areas).
- Blue - brindle color - on a red background gray (blue) tigers.
- Full black mask. Brindle or ginger colors, with no white patches, or with very small white patches.
- The weight of a mature dog is less than 35 kg, the weight of a mature bitch is less than 27 kg.
- Excessive cowardice or aggressiveness.
- Blindness and deafness
- Blue eyes (one or both) in combination with any color
- Cross-eye, asymmetry of the eyes, entropy and ectropy of the eyelids
- Pronounced overshot scissor bite.
- The absence of more than 2 anterior premolars, a skewed line of incisors, with the mouth closed, teeth of the lower jaw are visible.
- Significant misalignment, or asymmetry of the jaw
- Strongly close hock (cow)
- Long, wavy hair
- Full black mask, completely black, blue, and also black - tan, piebald with black spots without tiger color, tricolor and marble colors.
- Unilateral or bilateral cryptorchidism.
Eating American Bulldogs
- More than half of the diet should accounted for protein foods, in the first place - meat. Raw meat - the main source of animal protein, the main building material for a growing organism. The rate of meat for a monthly puppy of an American Bulldog 100-150 g per day, with age, it is gradually increased. If possible, an adult bulldog should receive 450-500 g of raw meat daily. The most various meat is suitable - horse meat, beef, elk, lamb. Fatty meat is poorly absorbed by the body. Raw pork may contain worms eggs, so it should be excluded from the diet. Dark meats are considered to be the most beneficial for the body. A small puppy is cut into small pieces to make it easier for him to cope.
- You can give offal (liver, lungs, kidneys, heart, etc.).
- Kidneys and udders have a low calorie. Therefore, they are given only to adult dogs and a half size of the standard rate of meat. Growing puppies can be given only specially prepared kidneys. For this, the kidneys are washed, the pieces of fat are removed, then cut into small pieces and dipped in boiling, slightly salted water. Boil the kidneys for 2 minutes, then cool and feed the dog along with the liquid. Thus prepared kidneys can be given to puppies 2 times a week.
- Very helpful and nutritious. beef or mutton stomach - "scar". They can replace meat. Frozen stomach finely chopped and added to feed. It is useful for normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. You can give a scar boiled, but in its raw form is preferable.
- Liver and heart much more calories than any meat. The muscles of the heart are excellent food, both for a puppy and for an adult bulldog. They are given in half the amount laid down by the age of the meat. Liver puppy boiled and rubbed on a coarse grater. It is recommended to give at least 2 times a week, adding to vegetables.
- Such by-products as light, liver sausages, guts, and brawn should be given in double volume from the prescribed rate of meat.
A fish - the second most important after meat source of protein. It is recommended to alternate between "meat" and "fish" days. In case of lack of meat, it can be completely replaced by dark sea fish (scad, mackerel). A puppy and an adult bulldog should receive fish one and a half times more than the norm of meat that should be laid according to age.
Sea fish give raw, or a little scalded with boiling water. River fish can be given only, boiled. Riga breeders advise to completely eliminate river fish from the diet. Crude river fish is often the source of worms. In addition, fertilizers from the fields often fall into the rivers. Feeding such fish can lead to poisoning.
The fish must remove the entrails. For large fish characterized by hard, durable fins - they should also be removed. For a small bulldog puppy, fish is passed through a meat grinder along with bones, and this mass is fed. For better digestion, a bulldog up to 6-7 months should receive meat and fish with fermented milk products. After the puppy eats meat or fish, offer him kefir or ryazhenka. At night, it is better to give meat food, the digestion of which takes more time.
- Very helpful sea products: sea kale, shrimps, squids. They contain many valuable trace elements necessary for the formation of the body and normal metabolism. If not, fresh sea kale, you can use dry. Dry seaweed is sold in pharmacies. It can be added to any feed. In this case, the rate of salt should be reduced, since dry sea kale has a salty taste.
- Bulldogs are also needed. bones and cartilage: they contain calcium and other beneficial elements. In addition, mosly (large bones) cleans teeth from plaque, serves as a good physical load on teeth and gums, strengthens them. The bones of young animals with a large amount of cartilage, as well as bones with the remnants of meat, are more useful. Give bones raw. During cooking, valuable essential substances are destroyed. Feeding only bones is harmful and unacceptable: it can cause systematic constipation, weaken the puppy's body and slow down its development. It should be given bones and cartilage (no more than 2 times a week) and after eating, when your bulldog is already full of meat or fish. During periods of change of teeth, the rate of bones is reduced and people try to pick up bones “softer”. In no case do not give the dog tubular birds or rabbit bones, as well as rib beef or lamb bones. When splitting along they can seriously injure the internal organs and destroy the dog ..
- It is very useful for American Bulldog puppies to add a chisel to their food sugar bone content (2-3 h / l.). “Bonemeal” soaked in this way can be stored in a refrigerator in a glass jar for a week.
- Milk products recommended as the main source of digestible calcium, necessary for the formation of the backbone. First, a bulldog puppy is given milk. After 2 months, it can be gradually replaced by dairy products. The most useful kefir, ryazhenka, bifidok or acidophilus, sour milk is less valuable. These products give the puppy after meat or fish feeds. Sour cream is added to vegetable salads. Cottage cheese is very useful, especially calcined. Growing bulldog he just needed. The recipe for calcined cottage cheese is simple. Milk is brought to a boil (but not boiled, otherwise the curd will be dry), pour in 10% calcium chloride at the rate of 3-4 tablespoons per 0.5 liter of milk. The curled mass is decanted and give the dog warm and diluted with kefir. The whey remaining after cooking the curd is sipped instead of water. This is a very valuable product. The value of whey exceeds the curd itself, since it is in it that the majority of valuable substances remain, primarily calcium. If a puppy does not eat cottage cheese, you can put some honey in it. Teach your baby to serum and cottage cheese should be required. At the age of 1-2 months, a bulldog puppy should receive a calcined cottage cheese from 0.5-1 liters of milk, during a tooth change period - from 2 liters, after a tooth change of up to a year - from 1 liter of milk. You can give the cottage cheese to an adult American bulldog while the rate of meat or fish should be reduced. A large amount of protein feed is very harmful for an adult dog. This leads to a violation of protein metabolism.
- Very useful butter. It is recommended to give the puppy a daily sandwich of stale black bread with butter. At the age of 1-4 months, a bulldog should receive no more than 1 teaspoon of butter per day, after 4 months - no more than 1.5 teaspoons.
- Vegetables (carrots, beets, cabbage) - an important source of vitamins. It should teach them a bulldog from the first months of life. In more mature age, it is more difficult, sometimes impossible. Giving vegetables is better raw, always grated. Puppies should rub vegetables on a fine grater for up to 4-5 months. Carrots and raw beets, even an adult American Bulldog is better to rub on a fine grater. You can add vegetables to protein feed. Vegetable salads seasoned with sour cream are very useful, but they should always be given before meat or fish. This is due to the large concentration of dog gastric juice. Cabbage should be slightly extinguished in a little water with vegetable oil and given also with meat or fish. Very useful sauerkraut. You can give her puppy after 2 months. Sauerkraut finely cut with a knife, it adds vegetable oil and meat.
- In the springtime it is useful to add to the feed. finely chopped young nettles. It is soaked for about an hour in cold water (or washed for 10 minutes under a stream of cold water), then very finely chopped with a knife and served with vegetables and meat. In addition, a bulldog puppy should receive fruits, berries, greens (lettuce, parsley, sorrel, carrot and beet tops, dandelion leaves, plantain). All this is a great source of vitamins.
- Many vitamins in onions and garlic. In addition, garlic is considered a good prophylactic against worms. It is given twice a week: at 1.5 months. - 1/6 cloves, at 2 months. - on a half-drive, after 3 months. - one clove each. If the puppy refuses to eat garlic, the clove is finely chopped and given with butter or other delicacy.
- Egg yolk - valuable nutritious product. It is given with porridge, cottage cheese. The American Bulldog should get a whole egg yolk 2 times a week. When a puppy has an allergy to yolk, this product is immediately excluded from the diet. Recently, chicken eggs are often infected with salmonella. Therefore, you should use only dietary eggs and be sure to wash them before use.
Porridge cooked in milk, diluted in half with water. You can add meat, vegetables, greens. Of the most important croup buckwheat, rice, "oat-flakes". Other species should be given as rarely as possible. Up to 2 months "Hercules" puppy boil, and then enough to steam for an hour on the milk. After 3 months "Hercules" is fashionable to give raw, pre-soak. It is added to cottage cheese.
Of the baked goods regularly should be given only black bread. It is chopped into food or make sandwiches with butter. Black rusks can be used as a treat in the classroom for training.
You can sometimes add honey to the curd, but little by little. Remember that honey can cause an allergic reaction. As a delicacy, you can use raisins and other dried fruits, pieces of cheese, sausages, black crackers, drying. But all this puppy bulldog should receive in small quantities, better as a reward.
Caring for American Bulldogs and keeping dogs
Pet care must be purchased:
- rubber glove for combing,
- shampoo for dogs with short hair,
- toothbrush and toothpaste,
- claw cutter.
Consider how to properly care for wool, teeth, eyes, ears, claws of bulldogs.
- Dog hair is short, but still requires regular combing. The purpose of the procedure is to remove lost hair. The American Bulldog cares for its coat very well and gets pleasure from such a display of care. You need to comb the dog once a week, and during the molting period increase to 2 times a week.
- Inspecting wool for parasites, examining ears, palpating the abdomen - Mandatory activities that need to be carried out once a week. Brushing teeth with the same frequency. Eye care should be carried out daily, wiping them with a damp cloth. The folds on the face are also an object of increased attention, wipe them with a damp cloth. American bulldogs have increased salivation, which requires the owners attention to the animal's face.
- If the dog is unable to walk on a hard surface, for example, on asphalt, when his claws grind off in a natural way, it is necessary claws trim. Claws that are too long can cause the animal to paw incorrectly, especially in childhood. Cut the claws should be 1 time per month.
- Bathe Bulldog only as needed, the best option - 1 time in 4 months.
Vaccinations for American Bulldogs
Vaccination is carried out from the following diseases:
- plague of carnivores or distemper,
- parvovirus enteritis - the pathogen parvovirus,
- infectious hepatitis - hepadnavirus pathogen,
When to do the first vaccination puppy?
- In 2 months, the first vaccination. After the injection of the puppy can not be washed, overfeeding and display on the street. Immunity after the first vaccine is developed within 12 days, this period becomes the most dangerous for the baby. A person needs a lot of effort to alleviate the puppy's condition. After the first vaccination, the pups have a high body temperature, general weakness and diarrhea.
- After 3 weeks, a second vaccination is given to the puppy, but with the same vaccine. As a rule, after the second vaccination, the dog feels much better, but within 12 days it should be protected from other animals, from drafts and not walked out. After this time, walks are allowed.
- At 6 months of age, a puppy is vaccinated against rabies and a comprehensive vaccine against several diseases. It is forbidden to vaccinate if the dog's teeth change. You need to wait for the time until all the teeth are replaced, and then vaccinate the baby.
- At one-year-old age, the dog is given a comprehensive vaccine.
- Then, once a year, the dog should be vaccinated with the same comprehensive vaccine.
How to vaccinate a puppy?
Before vaccination, he should examine the dog, measure its body temperature, and only if everything is normal, conduct an injection. Vaccination is put either in the neck or in the thigh of the dog. The entire composition of the affixed vaccinations by a veterinarian must enroll in a dog's passport. It also indicates the date of vaccination, then the owner himself will know the expected date of the next vaccination.
Diseases of American Bulldogs, Symptoms and Treatment
Ambuli - strong and healthy animals.
- Most often they suffer from allergies and diseases of the joints. To avoid allergic reactions, you must follow a diet. Allergens can be household chemicals, food, insect bites, reagents on the streets.
- Often in bulldogs dysplasia: hip or elbow joints. These diseases sometimes require long-term treatment and surgery. The degree of dysplasia can only be determined by a veterinarian, if it is running, the dog will not be able to lead a full life.
- Also bulldogs diagnosed:
- turn of the century,
- stenosis of the pulmonary aorta,
- tumor in the perianal region.
American Bulldogs Stream
Usually it happens in 7-10 months.
A month before estrus, the bitch of the American bulldog becomes less obedient, playful, sometimes eats worse. The flow begins with the first dark drop from the loop, the loop becomes edematous, increases in size.
During estrus, so as not to get dirty carpets, sofas, you can wear shorts on the dog.
Usually a strong hunt lasts from 9 to 15 days, when the bitch herself tries to attract the attention of a dog, sometimes a bitch in hunt from 7 to 17 days.
After heat (two months later) there may be a false pregnancy: nipples may increase, the belly will be slightly rounded, the dog begins to build its “nest” and carry toys there. Special measures in this case should not be taken. A few days later, the dog will forget that “she was pregnant” and will again become cheerful and playful. If the nipples have increased greatly and the bitch’s concern is significant, try to distract her with games, walks and reduce the amount of feed given.
Mating american bulldogs
The brook of American American bulldogs usually happens once every six months and lasts an average of 21 days.
A month or 2 weeks before estrus, be sure to banish worms. You must visit the exhibition and get an estimate. (Without this, mating will not be valid). Discuss the qualities of a stud dog with an experienced dog expert of the club. It is customary to carry a bitch to males. Knitting can pass easily or, if the bitch is spoiled, angry, it is difficult - then we recommend using the services of an experienced instructor. A bulldog, like any other dog, knits "in the lock", that is, the bitch holds the dog in the crotch muscles, usually 15-20 minutes. When mating watch the bitch's breath, the color of her tongue (it should not be with a bluish tinge). Usually there are two matings: the first and control, usually conducted every other day.
Description and characteristics of the breed
Before you get an American bulldog, you need to carefully study the description of the breed. If the owners need affectionate dog that will play for hours with the children, then you will have to forget about the bulldog. This breed was originally bred for fierce battles. Therefore, the appearance of the dog did not bother anyone.
What distinguishes an American bulldog from other fighting dogs:
- spotted color
- large, too slobbering muzzle
- hanging ears
- quite massive, bulky chest.
Many of this appearance of the animal can scare, but the true dog breeders appreciate American bulldogs.
It is worth noting that this breed has retained almost all the features of its ancestors who lived in the 18th century. The appearance of a modern dog has changed little since that time. Differences can be found only in color.
American Bulldog can be described in 3 words: powerful, reliable, temperamental. The owners must devote a dog quite a lot of time, be actively engaged in its upbringing, and attend specialized training courses.
This breed is not suitable for people lazy, spineless. The dog must feel in its owner a leader, a leader. Only in this case mutual understanding and contact can be found with the American bulldog.
The origin of the American Bulldog
The forebears of American bulldogs were English. The first mention of this breed appeared at the end of the 17th century in England, where the fighting of dogs with bulls was popular. The hosts did not spare their pets and, without hesitation, made them part in the bloody battles.
As soon as fights were banned in the 18th century, the need for bulldogs disappeared. The owners were allowed to keep dogs only on a leash. Many did not like this state of affairs, so it was decided to breed a new breed of toy-bulldog. The dogs differed in size and body structure.
The story of the classic bulldogs could end there if the British didn’t massively move to the lands of “Novy Svet”. At the same time, they gladly brought along their beloved pets.
At the end of the 18th century, the bulldog was introduced to the USA. This breed of dog aroused interest among farmers. The bulldog could easily drive the cattle, while protecting it from wolves and foxes. The dogs also became excellent watchmen of the plantations where the slaves worked.
Crossing a bulldog with a mastiff and a bullmastiff led to the emergence of a breed like the American bulldog.
The most common among them are:
- hearing problems (quite often puppies are born completely deaf),
- food allergies
- violation of the structure of the eyelids - because of this anomaly the animal sees worse,
- tumors (especially in the area of the stomach).
In addition, due to the enormous physical exertion, ambulles often experience malfunctioning of the cardiovascular system. The bitches often have complications during childbirth, although the average litter is quite large (5-7 puppies).
American Bulldogs Pregnancy and Childbirth
First of all, organizing place for pregnant mother, remember that the corner should be at least 2 times more spacious than for an ordinary dog. First, here she will have to give birth, and this is not an easy process - crowding is unacceptable. Secondly, the first time puppies will play, eat, sleep right here, so you will need a lot of space. It is also important to consider that after giving birth the dog will protect and protect the puppies in every possible way. This is the maternal instinct. It is more convenient to do this in a closed space with a narrow entrance. This is where the dog feels safe. During this period, it is recommended to place the pillow behind the chair, placing it diagonally in the corner, or build a special aviary with high walls for the dog. The second option is more convenient, since the open-air cage is open at the top (this doesn’t bother the dog at all) and in which case you can provide assistance at childbirth or freely examine the puppies.
The average duration of whelp in bitches - 60-63 days (but delivery is possible for a period from 58 to 65 days).
The body of a bitch during pregnancy requires more than usual, the amount of vitamins, better quality food and a longer walk. If these rules of keeping are observed, more healthy offspring will be obtained.
There are a few recommendations:
- You do not need to overfeed the dog, it is necessary to ensure that it can move a lot (especially in the first half of pregnancy).
- There is no need to protect the dog from long walks, running and jumping - all this can be done by her: the more the bitch moves, the easier it will be to give birth.
- During the birth, the presence of a veterinarian is desirable, you should also invite a specialist who has skills in the selection and rejection of puppies. Because puppies in a litter inherit different genes from their parents, they cannot be of the same quality, as some owners claim. Therefore, rejection of puppies in numerous litters is necessary. Another argument in favor of rejection - a bitch will not be able to fully nourish numerous litters. It is advisable to leave no more than eight puppies, and the best for their full development and to restore the bitch is a litter of five or six puppies.
Different questions on the American Bulldog breed
How to educate and train American Bulldog yourself?
In fact, there is only one really important rule in the upbringing and training of an American bulldog - no indulgence. All other rules, of course, are important, but this is the key. If you at least once give way to a dog and give her the opportunity to do what she wants, and not how she was taught, it will be very, very difficult to correct this situation. For example, the owner has established the rule for the American bulldog "not to enter the bedroom", then, to avoid this, it is not allowed to enter. Otherwise, the ambul will no longer take the prohibitions seriously and will safely ignore them, and if you take into account its stubbornness, then it will be very difficult to control the pet's behavior. However, not every person will be able to show firmness, looking at the ambulance, so dogs of this breed are not recommended to young people and inexperienced dog breeders.
American bulldogs are intelligent and intelligent, they quickly assimilate information, but they don’t always do it. Because of phlegmatic nature and stubbornness, they are sometimes considered silly, but this is not so. Dogs of this breed remember the team and remember it all their lives, but to achieve its implementation, the owner must be persistent and unshakable. Do not repeat the same command many times in inappropriate situations. As a reward for obedience, it is recommended to use special treats or just pieces of unsalted cheese. Also, when training must take into account the age of the ambulance.
What training courses are suitable for the American Bulldog and how much do they cost?
Owners of American Bulldogs are advised to attend courses in the following order:
- General education course (3-4 thousand rubles),
- General course of obedience (6-7,5 thousand rubles),
- The general course of training (from 8 thousand rubles),
- Managed urban or protective dog (4.5-5 thousand rubles).
Funny french bulldog becoming more popular, especially among people who have little time to care for a dog. This breed is among the ten most popular in the world. The dog belongs to the category of decorative. If the house does not require protection, but a cheerful and intelligent friend is needed, then the choice must fall on this little bulldog.
The French Bulldog has an amazing the ability to adapt to the conditions of life that are offered to him. This dog is extremely contacty, loves the community of beloved family members. She is just happy when everyone is at home, can play with your child for hours or lie next to you at the TV, and will not disturb you with any movement. If everything is at work, the bulldog all day, quietly slumber, curled up comfortably in his favorite place while waiting. When the sound of the door being opened with a key is heard, he will meet you on the threshold of the house with such a happy and joyful expression on his face that all your tiredness that has accumulated in a day will disappear, adversity will fade into the background. Looking at this sweet, wonderful creature, you suddenly realize that a small, charming, very warm sun has shone in the house. It is even surprising how tender the French bulldogs can cause a person who has decided to take the dog of this breed to his house. Already in the first weeks of the Frenchman’s life in the family, the owners often suddenly realize that they can’t do without talking to their new friend.
State of the art
In fact, for several decades, the breed is in its infancy. There are still several different standards and at least three types:
- classic - larger, heavy, with a short muzzle,
- the standard one is smaller, lighter, the muzzle is not so flat
- hybrid comes from the crossings of classics and standard.
The modern type of American Bulldog. Compare this photo to the one above.
Even within the same type of livestock according to the description of the breed standard is not reduced to a single appearance. All three varieties are considered to be pedigree, set and match with each other. Due to the obvious "discordance" and "dampness", they are not recognized by FCI and AKC - the leading canine association of the United States.
Over the past decades, low interest has remained in ambulances. It is unlikely that it will be possible to popularize them, since such a specific companion is rarely needed for a modern person.
In addition, in a number of countries and in several states of the United States, they, along with pits and staffs, are included in the list of dangerous animals. Somewhere it is even forbidden to enter the country, somewhere restrictions apply only to conditions of detention, somewhere they can not be bred, sold and advertised.
As we already mentioned, there are several standards of the American Bulldog. For the most part, the differences lie in the description of the shape of the head, the length of the muzzle, the size and the composition of the dogs.
Breed recognized RKF Champion: Group 2, section "unrecognized FCI." In the comments to the standard RKF, an explanation was given: "We do not see the point of division into types, especially since the breeders themselves sometimes find it difficult to define."
The description of the American Bulldog is rather laconic: it is a large, powerful dog with a wide chest. Despite the massiveness of the backbone and developed muscles, movements should not be obstructed. Ideal growth of a dog is 63-65 cm, females - 58-60 cm.
The skull is wide, the muzzle is from completely flat to medium in length, a typical bulldog, with a snack. The degree of snack is any, but the lower teeth and tongue should not be visible. Permissible incomplete.
Eyes round, set straight. Ears in the shape of a rose or drooping, adjacent to the head. The tail is straight, without creases. Thick skin fits tightly or gathers in folds on the head and neck. The coat is short, shiny.
Within the family, if the hierarchy is all right, they are calm and friendly to all members of the "pack." Obsession is rarely shown. On condition of sufficient walking, at home the giants prefer to doze peacefully in their place, without getting tangled up under their feet.
Lack of physical exertion can lead to destructive behavior - damage to property, the accumulation of aggression, which can spill onto the owner.
In the character of the American Bulldog - always strive to protect "their" and "their". Hence the utmost distrust of outsiders, even lightning-fast attacks without any warning signs. That is, a peacefully sleeping dog can suddenly rush at a stranger with a playfulness that you can never expect from such a massive pet.
This is not a "cool" killer, and often - an unreasonably aggressive and poorly controlled in dangerous situations beast.
For children, they are for the most part very patient. However, it is impossible to leave even a raised ambulance with a child! The problem is that the American Bulldog is bred like a dog for a fight to the last drop of blood. They have a genetically poor susceptibility to submission signals. That is, if the dog still throws, it will crush to the last.
Unlike service workers, bulldogs and closely related breeds do not perceive signs of submission, they rarely warn about their intentions. And, what is the most "uncomfortable" in terms of content, reluctantly retreat even under painful blows, not to mention the simple cries of stop commands.
It is easy to get along with other pets if they agree to comply. With oncoming dogs on the street, they often try to start fights, and not just for the purpose of domination.
This feature is so fixed in the breed that it is even mentioned in the standard: "Militant attitude towards other dogs not considered a disqualifying sign. "Only aggression towards a person is prohibited.
It should be noted that the description of the American Bulldog breed as the killer of all life came from the yellow newspapers ("The man lost his hand", "The child was left almost alive"). In most cases, their role in tragic situations was played by the irresponsibility of the owners and the inability to build a competent relationship with the pet.
So the child, crawling unhindered in the ambulance, as in our video is not exotic. However, not a role model.
Education and training features
Early normal socialization is very important for the normal development of the American Bulldog puppy. The baby must be taught to communicate with strangers and animals, a change of scenery, street noise.
If you miss the time, there is a high probability of the formation of an evil uncontrollable character. With such a partner it will be extremely difficult to coexist!
Therefore, it is important to establish close trusting relationships from an early age. Training should take place without nerves, in a game form, without monotony. And for the formation of a strong psyche, it is desirable that within the family there were no noisy scandals.
Even an adult raised dog, not to mention a one-year-old almost a puppy (they are slowly evolving), during an intra-family conflict can rush to the defense of one of the members of the "pack." And the more such "peak" situations, the less balanced will be the character.
For dogs with a balanced psyche under the guidance of an experienced trainer can be engaged in protection.
But the most important thing is to prevent attempts at dominance. The American Bulldog must clearly know its place. Any attempts to "raise" over by any family member must be hard to stop.
At the same time, physical punishments are almost useless - the pain threshold is high, the psyche is strong. Ambul is hardly cowardly compressed into a lump at the sight of a screaming owner. And it is very unlikely that he will flatten himself in a subordinate position after he is pressed against the floor.
Reviews of breeders and owners of the American Bulldog, it is better to once and time to beat a presumptuous dog with a muzzle on the floor than to live for years with a conflicted dog. Three times think whether you are ready for this turn of events.
We recommend in no case bring the matter to a conflict. If signs of dominance and obvious, demonstrative insubordination become noticeable, it is better to immediately turn to a cynologist.
And even better - go ahead with the rising favorite course OKD and / or UGS (Managed City Dog) to learn to understand your dog. And to teach her to obey gently, through friendship and mutual trust.
Training an American Bulldog is not an easy task, especially for a beginner. Teams are not absorbed quickly, and the desire to fulfill them - a little 🙂 You will never take prizes in serious competitions in obedience (obedience), but working together will help to improve relationships.
Watch this video from our channel on youtube what these pets are capable of:
The nuances of keeping the American Bulldog breed for which you need to be prepared:
- When living in an apartment short wool sypyetsya almost all year round. In order not to collect "needles" throughout the house, it is enough to brush the wool three times a week with a mitten or a bristled brush. Bathing only when necessary.
- According to the owners, ambuli drool, leaving spots everywhere. It is advisable to regularly remove the accumulated excess from the corners of the lips. But to completely avoid the appearance of wet spots on clothes and furniture will not work. It is necessary to get used to this, as well as to a rather loud snore.
- Due to the peculiarities of the structure of the muzzle, an early loss of the lower jaw incisors is likely. In order for the dog not to remain completely without teeth by the age of five, careful regular care of the oral cavity is necessary.
- Eyes - another weak spot, especially in the ammunition with a very short muzzle. It is sometimes possible to correct the cause of increased tearing. If there is no solution, you should regularly remove the selection with a special lotion.
- It is important to monitor the condition of the skin in the folds of the short face. Here, moisture constantly accumulates, and because of the increased heat, bacteria are actively developing, which leads to chronic dermatoses.
- Due to the characteristic propensity for weight gain, balanced feeding and sufficient (by age and condition) exercise are mandatory.
- It is better to choose a muzzle on the recommendation of the breeder. Even special bulldogs are often designed stupidly - they rub, they make breathing difficult.
In a public place, the American Bulldog must be muzzled and on a short leash - this is not only law, but also your personal security measure!
Perfect physical condition is always beautiful. The muscles of the representatives of the breed should be prominent, dry.
It is wiser to move summer walks to morning and evening, especially if the muzzle is very short (the shorter, the worse the ambul endures the heat). The owner must be able to provide first aid in sunstroke.
In winter, when the temperature drops below -10C, it is better to wear a jumpsuit. Or at least a trap, especially for active workouts - a hot pet quickly cools when it slows down and risks catching a cold.
It is very important to have a permanent occupation. For example, it can be active games along with team development. Working together strengthens trust, and aimless walks encourage the pet to seek entertainment on its own.
Unfortunately, physical features make all bulldogs vulnerable, and the "Americans" are no exception. Многие ветеринары считают, что эта группа подвержена наибольшему количеству недугов по сравнению с другими породами собак. Самые распространение болезни:
- врожденная глухота,
- катаракта, косоглазие, заворот век и прочие болезни глаз,
- опухоли перианальной области, рак,
- себорея, экзема, гиперемия, дерматиты и прочие заболевания кожи,
- pulmonary stenosis.
And in the reviews of veterinarians a number of congenital defects of the circulatory, cardiovascular, respiratory and endocrine systems appear. Often there are difficulties during childbirth. Yes, and the overall life expectancy is lower in comparison with the rocks of natural addition.
This does not mean that all American Bulldogs are sick through and through. Just a chance to buy a genetically inferior puppy is higher than when it comes to relatively healthy breed. And, of course, the cultivation, maintenance and physical condition of the ambulus should be treated with special attention.
Tips for choosing a nursery
If you are determined to buy a puppy of American Bulldog, then listen to the advice of krohotun.com on the first steps of choice.
- Do not buy a puppy from a breeder who positions the American Bulldog as a harmless, well-managed and non-conflicting breed. Such slyness speaks of an irresponsible attitude towards the future of puppies, and this is almost certainly irresponsible in the choice of producers! Remember that the psyche is first and foremost heredity, and only then upbringing,
- Bitch should calmly refer to the inspection of puppies. If she is taken away or not shown at all to the buyer, she is mentally unstable and the breeder knows about it. So, he should not use her in breeding,
- In addition to the stigma and pedigree (puppies), the breeder must show the results of the genetic tests of the bitch and dog. In terms of health, this is a problem breed, so choosing a puppy on the first ad is unacceptable.
And that's why:
- Dogs in battles with the enemy almost do not feel pain, so they can long and hard to fight the enemy.
- The animal has great power.
- Ambul can easily come to grips with a larger animal and successfully get out of it the winner.
- The structure of the body allows the bulldog to cling to the enemy with a stranglehold and for a long time not to open the jaws.
- On the basis of American bulldogs, other fighting breeds of dogs have been bred: pit bull, bull terrier.
But experienced breeders do not see potential killers in American Bulldogs. With proper dressing, it is not an aggressive animal at all. The dog has great endurance and patience, so it will never rush to a person without receiving a special team.
Currently, American Bulldogs have proven themselves as guards. It is worth noting that a raised dog who has been trained by a professional gets along well with children. Many breeds of dogs can envy their endurance and patience.
Choosing a pet, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- The head should be massive, the upper part is rather flat. Muzzle wide, square shape. The main features - protruding cheekbones and wide, swollen nostrils. This allows the dog to breathe calmly while capturing the enemy.
- Lips. Take care of the bite. Ideally, it should be tight. The lower jaw of American Bulldogs is powerful, slightly advanced.
- Ears. Small, hanging.
- Tail. Curved, widened at the bottom, tapers towards the tip.
- Paws. Quite big and massive. The dog keeps balance well, runs fast.
- Wool. Short, tough.
Choose puppies only in the kennel. At the same time must be provided documents confirming the pedigree of the dog.
There are nuances that need to be considered before making a purchase:
- If the breeder positions the dog as kind and affectionate, it is better to contact another kennel. This position is rather irresponsible and fundamentally wrong. This will mean that the puppy did not receive proper education.
- A bitch should normally treat what puppies inspect. If the dog is not nearby, it means that she is aggressive, unstable and the breeder knows about it.
- Insist that the breeder show the genetic passport of the bitch and stala (they definitely have them). In the future, this will help eliminate the hereditary diseases in the puppy that are often found.
Remember, American Bulldogs are fighting dogs with a special, complex character, so buying an animal should be deliberate. Get ready for the fact that you have to prove who's boss.
Content, care and feeding
American bulldogs do not require special maintenance. But it is important to them attention, affection and care from the person.
It is very important to feed the pet correctly. After all, the active growth of the dog is noted in the first 2.5-3 years. It is during this period that the animal needs a balanced diet. The menu should include meat, fish, vegetable dishes, fiber, dairy products. Do not give up on dry food (preferably elite species). It contains the necessary vitamins and minerals.
Also for bulldogs walks in the fresh air are important. They should be long and active. Well, if there is a reservoir nearby. Dogs love to swim very much: it strengthens their health.
It is easy to care for a pet's fur. If it gets dirty, it will be enough to wipe the torso with a damp sponge. Nails should be trimmed 2-3 times a month, and weekly - to clean the ears.
During molting, the animal must be combed with a special comb to remove excess wool.
Training and education of the American Bulldog
In the press you can find many scary stories that the American bulldog dealt with its owners. Alas, but such cases are taking place.
Experts assure that the matter is not in the fighting character of the dog, but in its wrong upbringing. If you decide to start an American bulldog, be prepared for the fact that you have to spend time on his training.
The basic principles are as follows:
- From the very beginning a puppy should be taught to the society. He should be often on the street, meet other animals, hear the noise. Otherwise, it will perceive all these factors as danger signals.
- Dogs of this sometimes not without intellect, they understand and remember well. But the character is rather stubborn, so it will take a lot of effort to learn the team with the pet.
- Immediately show who is in the family leader. Do not let the dog feel the main.
- Try not to make violent quarrels and conflicts in the family. A dog can stand up for a family member.
- It’s useless to beat a bulldog, he has a high pain threshold. With this you can achieve a backlash - attacks on the owners.
- Ideally, you need to contact an experienced canine and go through a course of training.
If you notice that the dog shows you even the slightest signs of aggression, you should immediately contact the experts.
This breed of dog has many advantages:
- special attachment to the owner - if necessary, the dog is ready to sacrifice his life for the one who surrounded her with love and care,
- energy - this breed is suitable for people who love to play sports, enjoy morning and evening walks,
- ease of care - smooth-haired dogs, so you will not see fluff and shreds of wool on the carpet,
- not picky about food - they eat food and regular food with pleasure (off the table),
- impressive appearance - walking with a bulldog, you can be sure that the hooligans will avoid you.
But there are also disadvantages:
- the difficulty of dressing
- alertness and display of aggression towards strangers,
- bad relationships with other pets,
- profuse salivation.
At first glance it may seem that the American Bulldogs are aggressive animals that are not intended to communicate and live together with people. But this is far from the case: the correct training will help to make a true and reliable friend out of the dog who will be ready to protect you at any moment.
Clothing for American Bulldogs
Short hair can not protect a small dog from the fierce frosts, so winter clothing for the American Bulldog is a necessity, not a luxury or accessory. The most popular are warm jackets, overalls and coats. Usually they cover not only the torso of the pet, but also its limbs.
Buy clothes for an American bulldog now is not difficult. Many shops selling clothes for animals have in their assortment stylish and beautiful things for dogs of any breed.
Dog Nicknames: American Bulldog Names
Most people prefer to choose a short sonorous name for their dog.
You will have to pronounce the dog's name many times a day, and if it is too long, it will be tedious.
When choosing how to call an American bulldog can be guided by two methods.
- The first and easiest: open a list of the most appropriate names for this breed and choose the one you like best.
- Second: pick up an unusual name from other sources, for example, from mythology or literature, to name a dog in honor of your favorite celebrity or invent your own exclusive name.