Like humans, cat claws actively grow their entire lives. Women with a luxurious manicure will not understand such "barbaric" procedures for nail care, but cats regularly "cut" them on hard surfaces. In the absence of a scraper, the cat "takes into circulation" upholstered furniture, carpets, furniture legs, children's toys, top and warm clothes. Of course, damage to the property of the owner is not a way out of the situation, but it is also impossible to deprive a pet of the opportunity to grind claws -
- Cracked and chipped claws - it hurts, it hurts more than a man's turned nail.
- Inability to climb trees and vertical surfaces - for a domestic cat is not particularly relevant, but still the pet feels inferior, as a result of stress - the cause of all diseases.
- Discomfort when walking - long claws deliver a sharp stabbing pain with each step, at first the cat suffers, then begins to limp.
- Inversion claw - physiologically, the claw grows in an arc and is subsequently stuck into the fingertip - pain, inflammation, permanent injury.
- Sprain - if a cat with unkempt claws is forced to jump, the blow from the landing is not absorbed by all the muscles, but only by the bundles of the legs. It hardly comes to gaps, but painful stretching is an absolutely logical consequence.
In addition to the above, neglected claws lose their sharpness, at the same time depriving the cat of protection. If other animals live in the house, the cat does not have to scratch, but to deprive it of its security confidence is inhumane.
If your cat regularly walks on the street, the question of acquiring claws goes into the background. A more important aspect is control of the claws. Running away from a dog or figuring out a relationship with a fellow cat may lose its claw or break it off under the base. Spoiled "manicure" - a solid reason for isolation from the street.
Every pet wants to be good, if your cat spoils the furniture and things, it is not harmful or bad character, but an oversight and a frivolous attitude to the needs of the pet.
Types of scratching posts - which one to choose
Types of scratching posts are distinguished on the basis of the design and material of manufacture. The optimal form is considered a column, material - coarse splits, an example in the photo. However, going to the pet store, you realize that progress has gone far beyond the standards.
In a global sense, distinguish:
- In form - pillar, ring, floor mat, curtain mat.
- According to the material - from a tree, a twine, a rough cardboard, fabric.
- By design - “small town”, with a house, toys, bridges, shelves, tiers or all together.
- By size - in the middle (up to 1 m in height), large, monolithic (the construction is attached to the walls and under the ceiling).
We will immediately determine if one cat lives in the house, there is no sense in talking about large constructions. For a pair or pride, it is worth considering multi-level options.
Inactive cats do not happen if your pet sleeps for days and refuses to play - this is an alarming symptom. A healthy cat with great pleasure plays, climbs on the pillars and jumps in blocks.
How a scraper should be arranged - common mistakes
1. The free height of the post for grinding the claws must be at least 90-100 mm, shelves, houses or loungers are located above.
2. The column thickness in cross section is at least 8–10 cm.
3. Closed house should be located at the very top of the structure. Firstly, cats do not like to sleep close to the floor, and secondly, pets can decide that the house is a comfortable toilet. A house made in the form of a pipe or a ring on a scraper is the best option if the cat does not like to climb high.
4. The beds for several cats should be located at the same height - otherwise, the animal who has taken the lower place will feel injured.
5. For the unsure animals, the "house-claw house" construction is not suitable. The best option is a few blocks standing on top of each other, without closed structures.
6. Cats very rarely use "booths", if you are staying on a model with a house, choose a bench with a through exit or windows.
7. The toys suspended on ropes are interested not all cats. It is optimal to play together with the animal, if your schedule does not allow regular entertainment - buy balls or mechanical toys for cats.
We select materials for the manufacture of kogtetochka
Based on considerations of animal comfort and simplicity when leaving for the owners, durable natural materials are selected that are easy to clean:
- For the house - a soft, non-electrified fabric.
- For the frame - thick corrugated cardboard, plywood, dry board. Do not use colored, laminated, chemically treated factory raw materials.
- For a strap, a fleecy harness or swords with a cross section of 0.5–1 cm. It is important that the rope does not include synthetic stretching fibers — the cat can catch on with a claw and damage a finger.
- For packing, down, wool or dry straw is not suitable. If the design provides soft parts, it is better to use a hypoallergenic synthetic winterizer.
- Do not use leather and its substitutes for decoration, cats do not like slippery and warm materials.
- If you decide to make the lining of the carpet - do not take it in the dry cleaning and do not wash with detergents. It is better to rinse the material several times in water and dry it in the sun.
Be careful when choosing materials - if the “toy” hits the cat with shock, the animal is unlikely to want to continue using the accessory.
The easiest and cheapest production option is to find a log or a small stump of deciduous tree on the street. The bark is cleaned with a rough brush, the log is dried in a dark place. Then to choose:
- Strengthen the log vertically on a wide stand.
- Dissolve the log vertically, fix the half on the wall or stand.
The caveat is that not every cat will approve such a model, it may simply not be interested in it, and you will not be able to force an animal to use a “handicraft” accessory.
Another economy option is a wall burlap scraper. A sacking cloth or a similar coarse fabric folded several times is stretched tightly onto an arbitrary frame; if desired, an old blanket can be placed inside. Kogtetochka hangs near the upholstered furniture, a small educational work and the cat will understand that it is impossible to sharpen claws on the sofa, but about this "joke" is possible.
Economical and durable option - a scraper from cardboard. It will take:
- Pressed cardboard (ordinary boxes are made of it).
- Stationery knife.
- Adhesive aerosol or glue (with an aerosol is easier and more economical).
- An adhesive gun and refill material (for one-time use, the pleasure is not cheap, it is better to borrow from friends).
- Paper or fabric for decoration.
- Ruler and pencil.
The process is not fast, but simple. The form is chosen arbitrarily.
- Dissolve the sheet into strips of the desired height.
- Strip bend step by step, focusing on the internal perforation. As a result, our strip should roll itself into a loose spiral.
- We retract the roll, glue it with a gun at the edges, with an aerosol in the middle.
- We bring the total diameter to 40-50 cm, fix, dry, decorate.
The round shape is easiest to perform if you want to combine several rolls or give a special shape to the structure, see the photo below for an example of how to make a “fish”.
More serious designs will require elementary skills in design, cutting, sewing, working with assembly tools. For example, consider the model with sunbeds at the top. If you want to make a compact corner structure, you need to either increase the area of the base, or additionally fix the claw to the wall.
It will take:
- Plywood 0,8–1 cm thick
- Dry timber.
- Rope or twine (a lot, depending on the height of the post). For two columns with a height of 1.5 m, you need about 60 m of twine with a cross section of 1 cm.
- Plastic (lining).
- Screws, mounting stapler, drill, jigsaw, screwdriver or screwdriver.
- Sharp scissors, worker and stationery knife.
- Glue gun.
- Cover fabric.
- Kapron thread, if you plan to fasten toys.
To begin, you will need a diagram and an assessment of the scale. Based on the required size we prepare the necessary amount of materials.
- The base and frame of the sun beds are cut out of plywood, we grind blanks, we remove the agnails from the saw cuts.
- The timber is tightly wrapped with a string, step by step we fasten the material with an adhesive gun or special brackets.
- Based on the size of plywood blanks we cut out and manufacture covers. It is desirable to provide that they were removed for washing. If the cat does not walk outside, and washing is not an urgent issue, the fabric can be fastened with stapler brackets, after having glued the edges with a gun.
- Clapboard notch and bend, fasten on the beds with a stapler.
- Mark up the base and fasten the pillars, after fastening the sun loungers and put on the covers.
- We direct the gloss, if necessary, fasten toys and enjoy.
And finally, a few video instructions:
Kogtedralka for cats: is it possible to do without it
It is impossible to wean the cat from the instinct of sharpening claws, it is in them laid in the genes. Animal owners should know why this is happening:
- Claws are constantly growing, they are overgrown with a layer of hardened skin, causing discomfort to the animal during outdoor games. Therefore, the cat tries to get rid of this cover on a comfortable surface.
- At a time when the cat sharpens claws, she gets great pleasure.
- Pet marks its territory. Between the fingertips there are glands that secrete secretion with a subtle aroma that only animals feel. Thus, they mark personal possession.
It is interesting! In pet stores you can buy special multi-colored anti-scratches that look like a manicure. But not all cats will like this innovation, and the cost of a handmade kogtetochka will be less.
Do-it-yourself kogtetochku-couch of cardboard
For the manufacture of the most budget and simple pillow-kogtetochki need the following materials and tools:
- cardboard or corrugated cardboard,
- stationery knife,
- fabric cut
- thick paper
- adhesive tape.
Then perform the following actions:
- Disassemble the box, draw on the surface of the strip width of more than 10 centimeters.
- Cut into strips.
- Then you need to twist one strip and glue. This will be the middle or core of the scratching post.
- Then wind all other strips in a similar manner around the core, periodically fixing the layers with glue or adhesive tape. Particular attention should be paid to the last layer.
- Wrap the pillow in a cloth and secure it.
- The design is put on thick paper, cut around the perimeter, cut and secure the base on the scraper.
More detailed master class can be viewed on the video.
How to make your own hands from the tree cat scratching post
Another budget option is a wood scraper. A small log or stump, picked up in the forest, is suitable as a base. Previously, the workpiece should be cleaned with a hard bristled brush and dried in a darkened room.
Further, the algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Wrap the workpiece with twine completely or separate fragments.
- Secure the workpiece on a wide basis, for this use angles, screws and a drill.
- Snap a few interesting little toys to the top of the scraper.
Ready-made sharpeners in stores wrapped in a special cord, and not every seller will answer what is called a rope for scraps. If you wish, you can search for a sisal thread, but it is completely replaced by any rope or twine.
Any wood can be used.
Mobile option: floor flat sharpener for cats claws
Flat claw is one of the most simple tools. To do this, you need a small sheet of board or plywood. On both sides, wrap it with the inside of the carpet upside down or with a cord. The edges can be sewn with thick threads or secured with a stapler. This design can be used by the pet and as a sunbed.
Floor model can serve as their bed
Step by step instructions for making your own hands kogtetochka in the form of a column with a photo of the process
For the manufacture of floor kogtedralki-column offer to see a detailed master class. After getting acquainted with this process, you can do your own hands with any of the most complex structure.
The kitten will enjoy playing with an interesting novelty, and you can watch the master class in more detail on the video.
All the nuances of making their own house for a cat with a claw
After we have described in detail how to make simple designs, you can complicate the task a bit and make a cat's house with a scraper and also add it with sun beds. First you need to make a sketch and draw a diagram of the future design. Next, the manufacturing process is as follows:
- Based on the cut out the holes for installing the posts.
- Make a pattern of fabric, cut holes for the posts and secure it to the base with a stapler.
- You can take plastic pipes as posts. They should be fixed to the base with metal corners and screws.
- Wind the twine on the posts.
- Upper couch to do on the principle of flat kogtedralok. Fastening to the posts to perform furniture corners.
- Soft houses for cats fasten on the beds.
It is important! It is desirable to fix the construction of a large size to the wall surface, so that during the games the cats do not turn it over.
Game complex with kogteralkoy for cats
Schemes and sizes of complexes for cats with claws and planks for making their own hands
The scheme of the future kogtedralki can be made independently or use the proposed ready-made examples from the Internet.
Features of making wall claws: photos of ready-made examples
For a small room, an excellent option is to fasten the scraper on the wall surface, more so that it is much easier to make it than the floor one. And two more advantages: they do not have cat hair, and they can not be flipped at the most inopportune moment. Therefore, it is an ideal way out for active pets. For work, you will need a sheet of plywood and a harness, which can be pre-painted for decoration.
Wall claw for cats do it yourself
Wall kogtetochka must comply with the size of the animal. Optimally choose a length of 10 centimeters more than the length of a cat in an elongated form. Such parameters will help keep the wall from scratching. The recommended surface width is 40 cm.
For the manufacture of a simple wall wall, two sheets of plywood will be required, each should be at least 25 cm wide, but you need to focus on the size and breed of the pet. For a soft layer, you can use a piece of old carpet or carpet, while securing them inside out, as well as a harness or several layers of natural fabric. The procedure is as follows:
- Cut the canvas according to the pattern with a margin of about 10 cm, fix it with a stapler on the back of the plywood. As an option - wrap the sheet with a cord.
- Fasten around the perimeter with slats using screws.
- Nail the construction to the wall.
Favorite attraction - a claw at the corner of the wall
For the manufacture of corner claws, you need to prepare three planks or sheets of plywood with a minimum width of 15-20 cm; you must first secure the carpet to them with the inside out or twine. Prepared products set on the corner, for example, the door frame to a height exceeding the length of the cat in an elongated form of about 10 cm. If you wish, you can make the design for the entire height of the box, the pet will be able to climb it during the games.
Road scratching post for a cat: a DIY homemade workshop
If the cat is your constant companion in the journey, be sure to make a road claw. It will not take up much space, and your pet on the road will be happy with your favorite thing. For the manufacture you need a small sheet of plywood or plank in the form of a rectangle, glue for wood, twine, a piece of rope or a strip of leather and a drill. Instructions for making:
- In the board or plywood to drill a hole for the cord.
- Wrap the structure with a rope, periodically putting it on glue, fix the ends carefully.
- In order to hang the accessory, for example, on the door handle, you need to fix the rope in the holes made earlier.
How to negotiate with a cat
Sometimes it is not enough to put a claw head, the cat simply can not understand what to do with it. To accustom the animal to a new accessory, use the following proven tips:
- Observe exactly where the kitten most often likes to sharpen its claws. This will help determine the place and shape of the device.
- If for comfort the house Murka chose the corner of the wall - install a wall clawboard there. It may even be a small piece of carpet, mounted on a corner, or a design that is installed at an angle.
- Чтобы привлечь котёнка к когтеточке, достаточно налить несколько капель валерьянки или рассыпать немного кошачьей мяты на поверхности.
Зачем она нужна
Когтеточка необходима для того, чтобы кошка могла поточить об него свои когти. Делает это она с той целью, чтобы предотвратить их врастание и заворачивание. In addition, the predator's instinct causes the animal to be on alert all the time and to have perfectly sharp claws.
We should not also forget that the animal cannot renew the nail plate in a different way. The process of grinding loose, damaged edges contributes to the fact that the claw grows healthy and strong.
Thanks to the good fantasy of cat lovers in the shops today you can find a huge number of claws. Such structures are placed on the floor or hung on the wall. Their surface has a rough structure, which is particularly popular with animals.
Kogtetotochtochka pipe - one of the most expensive versions of products with his own hands
This device is made of pipes of any length. It depends on how active your pet is. If he rarely sits in one place, make for him a scraper with a height of about 2 m. It is in this case that he will definitely refuse to spoil your furniture and will never get bored.
It consists of a plastic pipe, the diameter of which must be at least 5 cm. A great solution would be to use a new plastic sewer.
Create the necessary texture will help tight rope. Glue will help to prevent its slipping from plastic. They need to coat not only the base, but also the rope itself. Tightly winding it in several layers, periodically tap each turn with a hammer.
It will not be possible to make a cheap kogtetochka from a pipe, because for its production a large amount of consumables will be needed. Fix such a product to the wall with three clamps (top, middle and bottom). That it did not move, apply a metal tape. It is fastened with screws to the clamps as tightly as possible.
Kogtetochka with a house also serves as a refuge
It is a structure that combines several functions: an immediate place for sleeping and resting an animal, as well as a scraper, on top of which a viewing platform is placed.
With a bench
Kogtetochka with a bench is suitable for fans to watch others
A good decision to diversify the life of your pet. A kogtetochka with a stove bench consists of a stable platform, a pipe wrapped with a rope and a stove bench at the top. The product is durable, resistant and durable. Thanks to this design, the cat can not only sharpen its claws, but also observe others.
Floor claw can take a very small area
It combines a whole group of claws that are installed on the floor. They are of the following types:
- Combined with a house or lounger.
Often they have considerable weight and large size. This is due to the need to ensure the safety of the animal. The cat will never be able to carry such devices around the apartment, so they will not present inconvenience.
Special attention should be paid to floor complexes, which are necessary for families with several pets or for those who have a pregnant cat. At the same time, animals will always have a place to play, and will also stop spoiling furniture.
Wall kogtetochka - the most economical in terms of space
Perfect for small apartments and houses, where the owners appreciate the economy of free space. Wall claws firmly fixed to the wall, not representing a threat to the life of the animal. They cannot roll over and create a crash.
If your pet has scratched the wall, then the device will help to hide the torn wallpaper under him.
In the apartment you can install several types of such claws
Hangs on the corner of the room. It is always perfectly perceived by active animals, because it is not only convenient to scratch its claws, but also to climb it. Represents two pieces of plywood, firmly interconnected. Outside they always have a rough upholstery. On the perimeter of the product can be decorated with soft material, pleasant for the cat.
Schemes and drawings
Before you begin the process of making pillows from cardboard, which will serve as a scraper, you need to draw the size of the future product. Determine the length will help your pet. Take a centimeter and measure the cat (the length of the tail is not taken into account). The resulting size is doubled and get the desired length.
As for the width, then its minimum indicator should not be lower than 40 cm. Otherwise, the animal will be uncomfortable sitting on the structure and sharpening the nails. The most suitable height in this case is 10 cm.
Step by step instructions for making
After the scratching post with your hands is ready, it remains only to determine its location
The quality of the future product directly depends on how correctly and consistently you will follow all the recommendations and tips for making a scraper:
- Lay cardboard boxes stacked one on top of the other.
- Make a drawing according to the measurements.
- Cut out the elements of the product and glue them together with each other, glue each layer well. As a result, you should have a thick cardboard pillow.
- Using pieces of old carpet, make it a claw holder. To do this, put the finished pillow on the material, wrap it from all sides, and cut off the extra parts. The resulting blank stick to the cardboard with adhesive tape. For reliability around the perimeter, secure the carpet with staples.
This claw can be used as an independent product, and it can be made part of a wall or floor construction. In the first case, it should be fixed on a wooden base and hang on the wall.
If you are planning to make a floor cladder, then a wooden post or plastic pipe, wrapped with a thin rope, is fixed on a pillow of cardboard. In this case, the resulting product is better to install in a corner of the room so that it does not roll over.
How to teach a cat to claw
If you can’t train your pet to sharpen your nails in the same place, try using the help of valerian, mint tincture or a special spray
To make your kogtetochka necessarily liked your pet, follow a series of such simple tips:
- Learn the habits of a cat and notice about what it often sharpens its claws - on a carpet or a sofa. In accordance with this, it is suitable horizontal or vertical design.
- Put the device in the pet's favorite place.
- Every morning, as soon as the cat wakes up, take it and carry it to the scraper. Having taken her forepaws with your own hands, swipe the rough object several times until the animal releases its claws. Praise the pet and give something tasty. During the day, repeat this procedure several times.
- Seeing that the pet is heading back to the sofa or carpet, take it and carry it to the scratching post.
- Faster will get used to the favorite to a new place, if a few drops of citrus smell are sprayed on the old ones. Cats do not like this scent at all. Therefore, if the favorite sofa will smell unpleasant, the pet will be forced to go to the scratching post.
Approach the process of teaching a cat to claw with patience and tranquility. Remember that this does not always happen quickly. Do not forget to praise the animal, to treat with delicacies. So it will more quickly understand that no one scolds him for turning claws about a certain structure, and even encourages him.
Kogtetochka - a necessary device for people who have a cat. It will help keep your furniture safe and sound, as well as additional entertainment for the animal.
1. Kogtetochka on a patterned rug
Such a device for cats can serve not only for its intended purpose, but also to be a harmonious design complement to the interior.
To make a scraper, prepare:
- sisal rope
- colored rope
We determine the central place on the carpet for the location of the future claw.
With the help of special glue fasten the basis for the claw. Use the same adhesive to wipe the edges of the carpet to prevent them from blooming.
Before wrapping our stand, paint a piece of sisal blue. Secure it around the stand with a stapler, alternating with a natural color. And for safety, adjust all the puncture points with a hammer so that the brackets do not look out.
You can choose the color and texture of the carpet to your own taste, as long as it is sufficiently dense and harmoniously combined with the overall interior.
It seems, our claw and kitty - do not spill water!
2. Two in one: vazh kogtetka
Such a kogtetochka performs 2 functions at once - an indispensable device for a cat and a luxurious decorative floor vase.
Prepare a ceramic vase of any size and shape, as well as a coil of sisal rope. The vase should be quite heavy and durable. Avoid glass varieties!
Wrap the rope evenly and as tightly as possible around the vase using hot glue.
Almost finish, but the most important part ahead, because the main thing that our design was sustainable. Fill the vase with different stones and other all kinds of weighting. And for reliable stability, we attach slate tiles to the bottom.
Kogtetochka-vase is ready! It remains to decorate it with beautiful branches and accustom your pet to a new device.
3. Global project: two-story construction with a claw.
A chic corner for a cat can be made with your own hands. A couple of pieces of furniture, a few details - and your design project is ready to please the pets. Let's get started!
Materials: coffee table, nightstand, sisal rope, stapler, glue, a piece of faux fur fabric, paint, toys for the cat (by the way, you can see how to make a toy for the kitten with your own hands on our website).
So, at the beginning of the work all the furniture should be in a disassembled state. As a result, you will have eight legs, two surfaces (one square, another rectangular) and one more rectangular surface for the bottom shelf.
We wrap the bottom shelf and the very top of the structure with a fur coat using a stapler.
Now the turn of the claw. In our project, two legs of the upper structure and half of the legs at the bottom are wrapped. You can make as many claws as you like. To fix the sisal rope around the legs, we also use a stapler.
When the paint dries, we collect the structure.
And at the end of the project we decorate kittens with toys, you can also put a pot with special green grass, which they love to chew.
4. “Home tree” for a cat
Active animals love to climb trees. So why not try to make a tree for your pet right at home? At the same time and embellish the interior with a living natural corner.
To begin with we will make approximate sketches of a future construction.
Tools and materials:
- tree trunks
- claw cut sisal,
- pine for edging the base and platforms
- decorative stones
- faux fur fabric,
- hand saw,
- Miter saw,
- manual stapler
- liquid nails (construction glue),
- divers screws and nails.
We process trunks for the frame. They must be completely dried.
The next stage is the finishing of the base (base of the structure) and the installation of trunks.
Pre-drill holes in the appropriate places. Then we fasten the branches to the plywood (our base), using screws and liquid nails at the bottom of each stem. Next, we build pine boards around the perimeter. We complete the polyurethane and glossy coating.
Master and install kogtetochki. For them, we use wooden dowels, which we paint in the same color as the base, after which we fasten sisal ropes in a circle.
At the bottom, we fix each dowel with liquid nails and screw them into our base, as well as the trunks.
The next step is the creation of platforms of various forms. We use pine as the main material. One of the shelves can be upholstered with fabric with artificial fur. Bottom cover with polyurethane layer, similar to the base.
Install the platform. To do this, use screws, liquid nails (also suitable for a hammer and nails).
The final details. We fill our base with beautiful stones of different sizes. We decorate a tree with a climbing plant, toys for a kitten, and “home nature” is ready to accept its inhabitants!
5. Design "Ombre"
A stylish ombre effect with an ombre effect is easy to do, and the result is amazing!
For the project you will need: plywood, nylon rope, pipe made of thick cardboard or wood, liquid nails.
First of all, it is necessary to draw the markings of the central circle on the plywood. Cut it and paint the entire surface.
We start painting the rope, achieving the effect of an ombre. Conditionally divided into 3 parts. We paint the bottom thoroughly to a dark shade, the middle one - a couple of tones lighter and the top one - almost leave in white.
Using liquid nails, fasten the pipe to the base. We smear the entire surface with them and we wrap it with a rope in a circle, starting with the darkest color at the base.
At the end of the work we decorate the claw strap with a cute toy, securing it under the disk at the top. A decorative foot print on the top will look very funny.
6. Kogtetochka with a niche
This cute kogtetochka also serves as a cozy niche for your kitten. In addition, it looks great on the background of home interior.
Materials: table (frame), sisal rope, stapler, scissors, hammer, sidushk filler, textiles.
We glue the side of the table with protective circles of plaster (to prevent rubbing and scratches on the floor). The table must be turned over so that this side is the bottom of our design.
Making a seat mate. We fill with filler and sheathe textile upholstery using a stapler.
We make a kogtetochka, tightly winding and securing the rope with straps to the side.
Along the way, let's not forget to attach a wonderful toy for a kitten with pom-poms.
Just look how our new cat has chosen!
7. Soft hill
The beautiful construction for a cat from two soft platforms will become your pet's favorite place.
Prepare two boards of different widths and lengths, pallets for two rectangular wooden platforms, screws, carpet, and drill bits. We make measurements.
We wrap a carpet around our future platforms. Fix it with screws (you can use a stapler and staples). Cut the excess carpet.
We install wooden racks. One of them will be slightly tilted.
For kogtetochka wrap rack can be the same carpet, and you can use sisal lace, similar to the previous options.
A cozy corner will delight your pet!
8. Graceful Scraper
Here is another option for a beautiful cat claw. The design on a round platform in nice shades looks great against the general background of the interior.
Consumables: round wooden base for the platform, wooden pole, screws, drill, lid for the top, color paint, nylon rope, stapler (or a hammer with nails).
We make measurements, we determine the center for the rack. Draw the border with a pencil. Drill four holes for the screws (take the drill bit slightly smaller than the screws themselves).
Fasten the rack to the platform and cover the claw with two layers of white paint.
We start painting the ropes. Fill half the bucket with hot water and add salt (about 1/3 cup). It contributes to better fixing the paint on the rope. Add the first color and mix. Adjust the amount of ink, depending on the desired hue saturation. Place the rope in the mortar and leave for half an hour.
Rinse the rope thoroughly in cool water to remove excess paint. Similarly, do with other colors.
Dry the ropes and tightly wrap them around the trunk in a certain color sequence, securing with a stapler.
The ends of the colored ropes are interconnected with tape.
The last stage is the top mount. Choose a pretty decorative cap in the store or any other suitable accessory.
Our scraper is ready!
9. Floor claw
The horizontal version of the scraper is easy to make. For this project, prepare the main board, a pair of wooden bars for the sidewall, twine, 4 screws, drill bits and a stapler.
Fasten the sides to the main board.
Wrap the twine around the board, securing it with staples using a stapler. You must first drill two holes in the corners on both opposite sides of the case in order to thread and tie the ends of the twine into knots.
We acquaint pet with new clothes!
10. Maroon claw cutter with feathers
With such a playful bright claw, the kitten will not be bored. Let's try to make it together!
So, prepare: a rug, a wooden board or a piece of laminated parquet, a couple of empty jars, hot glue (or silicone), a knife, a twine (you can use any rough ropes or sisal), wool threads, feathers (or other toys for a kitten), nails.
We attach the planks to the carpet and pretend its size so as to wrap the platform. We glue the boards, set weighting agents and wait until the glue dries completely. We wrap the carpet around the platform.
Cut the carpet in the form of a pipe. As a weighting agent for the pipe, we use a bag with any grain. Fasten our mat to the pipe. To give the claw to a more interesting shape, we will add a couple of additional, wider to the main tube (these can be any cans). К ним также нужно вырезать ковровое покрытие соответствующей формы и приклеить.
Как только все высохнет, собираем всю конструкцию вместе.
Обматываем шпагатом (либо сизалевым шнуром) среднюю секцию, посадив его на клей. Украшаем верх красной шерстяной нитью.
And the last stage is a toy for a kitten with feathers, which can also be made from the same thread and attached to the top on the stud.
What you need for a playful kitten!
11. Practical travel claw
If you often travel, and the cat is an indispensable accompanying person for your trips, then this version of the claw will be very useful! A convenient, practical and indispensable device for a pet can be hung on the door handle. Make the construction is not difficult. All you need is a small board, glue on wood, a drill, a sisal rope and a leather cord.
Making holes for the cord. Grind the surface of the board.
We wrap a board with a rope, putting it on glue. We are waiting until dry for an hour.
Fasten the cord through the holes, tying the ends into strong knots. Done!
12. Stylish and simple design
Quite simple, but no less stylish and at the same time, the universal design of the claw is suitable for your cat and home interior.
What you need: a carpet, a wooden stand, a platform, a sisal rope and a stapler.
We cut the carpet for upholstery platform. Fasten it with a stapler.
We measure off the carpet for covering the rack. We cut and fasten only on its upper part.
Now turn sisal rope. They can wrap not only the base, but also the upper part of the rack right over the carpet itself. So, the design looks more interesting and at ease.
Here is the final result!
13. Keep in the scraper
A cute scratching post can also be a place for sitting, and a place for storing cat accessories (toys, food packaging, and other trinkets).
All we need is: a household bucket with a lid, a sisal rope, hot glue.
Apply a little glue to the end of the rope, securing it at the base. Also, using glue, keep tightly winding the rope around the bucket to the end.
We process the cover in a similar way. In the process, you can use a stapler to secure the rope.
Our design is ready! Now you can fill it with food.
More interesting options for the design of kogtetochka
If you have not yet acquired such an indispensable and very useful thing for your pet as a scratching post, we urge you to urgently rectify the situation and to please your favorite cat with a new dress. And share new ideas in the comments.
How many ropes will it take?
Any modern rope for a scraper has a high degree of strength and is resistant to breaks, which makes it an ideal material in this case. Before proceeding with the manufacture or replacement of this element, it is necessary to calculate the length that is required.
There are two ways to measure the footage:
- Use the old rope for the scraper. In this case, you need to remove the rope from the old post, measure its length, or take the rope with you to the store so that the consultant will help with the choice of material and footage.
- Calculation using a special formula:
Rope length = (post height / rope diameter) * 3.14 * post diameter.
For example, there is the following data:
- The height of the post - 100 cm, its diameter - 10 cm
- The diameter of the rope is 0.8 cm.
From this we get: the length of the rope = (100 / 0.8) * 3.14 * 10 = 3925 cm, that is, 39.25 m.
The optimal diameter of the rope is 8 mm, but for the manufacture of a scraper, 6 mm is also quite suitable.
Which rope is better to choose?
The choice of ropes is very large, but the main thing that you need to pay attention to when choosing - natural fibers. Environmentally friendly materials of natural origin are the best ropes for a scraper, they are completely safe for both animals and people, they do not electrify and will not harm the pet. A natural fiber claw handles exactly like a cat, which cannot be said about the purchase of artificial rope. Some pets may be deterred by a synthetic smell, as well as the presence of paint and impregnation.
Polypropylene and nylon ropes are several times stronger than natural ones, but they tend to stretch, besides, cat's claws can become entangled and stuck in the fibers of the material.
Winding from hemp rope for a scraper will not last for a long time, the material will quickly fluff out due to fragments of fibers.
Types of ropes
The question of what claw-heads for cats are made of is of concern to many owners who have decided to please their pet. There are some of the most common types of rope for a scraper with which you can wind a column:
- Cotton rope. This material looks great, fits perfectly into any interior, but is much more expensive than other types.
- Sisal rope. Its cost is much lower, the structure is fleecy, the material is quite strong, durable with a grayish or pale yellow shade.
- Jute rope. This material is used most often in the scraper that is sold in stores. The claw rope is the cheapest, but it is less durable than previous materials.
All these materials are fundamentally different among themselves in a number of basic parameters, which primarily depend on how long the scraper will last. Therefore, we will further analyze how the claws for claws are called, and compare their types with each other, so that it is easier to systematize the information for the correct choice.
What to choose - jute or sisal fiber?
So, both species are popular because of the affordable price. This factor is quite significant, because several tens of meters of rope are required for winding the post. But you should immediately pay special attention to the fact that whatever material you choose, the scraper will not last forever! Any thing wears out over time, and this product is no exception. The duration of operation of the scratching post depends on the following parameters:
- How often she uses a pet.
- Breed of an animal (at large representatives a nail plate is much more).
- Quality kogtetochka.
Jute is produced from the same plant of the family Malvaceae. Its fibers are mainly used in the textile industry, as well as for the manufacture of ropes and burlap. Jute features:
- Gray-brown color of fibers.
- Smoothness (fibers do not stick).
- Low cost compared to similar materials.
Sisal rope is much coarser than jute, because it is made from raw fibers obtained from the leaves of the agave tree. This plant has unique qualities that allows you to apply it in various areas of industry, from food to construction. What are the features of sisal?
- Pretty tough structure.
- Light sand shade.
- High wear resistance.
If you just can not choose or for some reason do not want to acquire sisal and jute ropes, then you can consider another option for winding the scraper - hemp threads. This material is made from hemp seed plants, which include no narcotic substances. The fibers are used in the manufacture of fabrics and ropes. Despite the fact that manufacturers of pet products give preference to jute and sisal ropes, hemp is not inferior in quality, the proof is that hemp remains an important resource in the industry. New fibers are also mistakenly called hemp - sisal, jute and others. So, consider the advantages of hemp yarns:
- A variety of colors (shade can be absolutely any, depends on the method of processing).
- It has an average cost.
- According to the properties ahead of the jute rope.
- High strength.
- Resistance to environmental influences.
- High hygroscopic and anti-electrostatic properties.
From the above we can draw the following conclusions:
- If you decide to purchase or manufacture a claw for a young cat, you should make a choice in favor of a jute rope for a claw for a cat, because it has soft fibers (this will avoid claw damage) and low cost.
- If you have an adult cat of a large breed or several pets in the house, then the best choice would be a sisal rope that will last much longer and be safe for the pet's claws.