One of the first questions that ask future or newly baked owners of exotic animals - what should be the living conditions? Most sources agree that in the house you need to constantly maintain a balance of humidity and temperature. And the Akhatin snails terrarium itself must be spacious and ventilated.
Basic principles for choosing a terrarium for snails
There are several principles, following which you can buy a practical, eco-friendly and convenient home for Achatina.
- Selection of containers from non-toxic materials - glass, plexiglass, food grade plastic, plexiglass.
- The choice of form. Round houses are not recommended. Better - rectangular version with transparent or translucent walls.
- Volume ulitariya. It is dependent on the size of the Achatina shell. Ideally, for every centimeter of shell, there is a liter of space. Adults grow to 11-15 cm. Accordingly, a volume of 10 to 15 liters will be needed. If you plan to keep several individuals in one place, you can reduce the optimal volume by one third. It is important to understand that the larger the terrarium, the higher the chance to grow huge-sized Achatina.
- Accounting age. If the containers for small Achatina snails that have not reached puberty should be smaller, then the emerging animals must have easy access to a bowl of food.
- The presence of the cover. Any container should have a coating that will fit snugly and fixed. This will prevent a possible escape of the pet and its further injury, as well as allow preserving the balance of moisture and temperature.
Types of houses for Akhatins
There may be several options for ulitariya:
- Aquarium for fish. It is good that the ecological material is used - glass. In addition, it is not difficult to buy it - it is sold in any zoomarket. However, there may be problems with airing.
- Terrarium. This option is also very likely to require to resolve the issue with ventilation. The disadvantages include high cost, high weight and low impact resistance. But the glass is chemically neutral and transparent plastic.
- Plastic container. In this case, there will be no issues with airing. To make the snail terrarium ventilated, it is enough to drill on two opposite sides of the two small holes from 5 to 6 mm. Holes are drilled on one wall 3-4 cm from the upper edge, on the other 3-4 cm from the base.
It is necessary to take a close look at the very quality of plastic. It is important that it be marked “food”. The obvious advantage of plastic containers for Ahatin snails is the budget cost. It can be bought even with a limited supply of funds. In addition, it is always a wide choice of shapes and sizes, resistance to shocks, ease of operation, low weight. Another plus is that the plastic heats up slowly and has poor thermal conductivity, so that the pet will avoid sudden changes in temperature.
- Another option is do-it-yourself handicraft ulitary. But to make it practical and convenient, you will need to know the principles described above. In this case, houses made of plywood and cardboard definitely will not work.
Here it can be noted that Ahatina is a mollusk with a terrestrial lifestyle. So the best option would be a horizontal terrarium for snails.
The best options for soil:
- moss is one of the favorite options for mollusk litter,
- peat - budget option, good in combination with other varieties of soil,
- fallen leaves - can be both an independent and additional option,
- coconut substrates are inexpensive and most popular,
- bark of certain types of trees
- land with low acidity (as for violets).
Soil soils that are able to store moisture well and allow the mollusk to dig inward will do.
Sawdust and sand are strictly prohibited. The first very quickly oxidize the clam shell. Because of this, the shell is covered with white bloom, which is extremely difficult to peel off. Sand can also cause shell scratches. But the most dangerous, he swallowed with food, may not go to the end of the esophagus.
Decoration, heating, lighting in the terrarium for the snail
Speaking of decorating, most of the snails agree that in the terrarium in no case should there be any solid objects like glass, baked clay, porcelain and stones. Indeed, otherwise, the snail may break to death on such decorative elements.
Plastic and snags are acceptable. You can decorate the walls with flowers or plants like ivy, fern or wheat. In addition, beauty can be given by branches, pieces of bark, cones and needles. In the role of artificial shelter and "house in the house" the shell of a large coconut can be suitable.
The optimal temperature in ulitarius is from 25 to 28 degrees with a plus sign. If it is cold in the room where the mollusk house is located, the mode is artificially maintained - due to mats and heating mats. There must always be a thermometer and a hygrometer inside the street that indicates the level of humidity. It should not fall below 60% and exceed 90%.
In the role of a bowl and bath can be plastic covers for containers, as well as disposable items made of silicone or rubber.
Achatina is not recommended direct sunlight and drafts. Therefore, it is better if the terrarium is located away from natural light. The ideal place - on the nightstand or shelf.
The most common options are.
- Glass. There are two options: organic or mineral.
Each of these materials has certain characteristics, but they are all suitable for the construction of a terrarium. Plexiglass and plastic terrarium for snails do not conduct heat well, so they warm up slowly enough. For this reason, your golden charmer will not be in trouble in the form of temperature drops. However, glass has many advantages. It is durable, well transmits light, resistant to chemical compounds. If your pets are placed in a glass aquarium, it is very interesting to watch them. Yes, and this structure looks very beautiful. Therefore, when choosing a material, take into account, as they say, the pros and cons.
Quality litter - a prerequisite for the correct content of Achatina in the net. Needles, sawdust or sand as a soil categorically unsuitable. In achatins very delicate body, and the soil, sticking to it, can harm the cochlea. Ordinary earth will be suitable as a soil, but it must be well processed before being placed in a container.
- Carefully clean the land from plants and roots.
- Fire the soil in the oven for 25-30 minutes at the highest temperature. This will get rid of harmful microorganisms, which are abundantly found in the street ground and can harm Achatina.
Achatina, like most of the domestic snails - the people of the land. Therefore, a daily shower for them is absolutely unnecessary. However, excessive dry air snails too unhealthy. It is necessary to equip the terrarium with instruments for monitoring humidity and temperature: a hygrometer and a thermometer. Naturally, we must constantly monitor the indications of these same devices. The best microclimate regimes for Akhatin.
- Air temperature - from 25 to 27 degrees.
- Humidity - from 75 to 90%.
What helps keep moisture in the snails terrarium? This is spraying its walls from a spray bottle, periodic (not excessive!) Moistening of the soil or a small pool of water. Take care and intake of fresh air in the terrarium. The best in this respect - option - the use of mesh, reinforced snaps. Snails are very curious and, if the terrarium is not closed, they will certainly try to sneak out of it. Such trips to your gentle pets are definitely useless, since they are fraught with injuries and even death of mollusks.
At the very beginning of the article it was said that a properly equipped terrarium for snails is a real decoration of the room. It's time to remember the aesthetic side of the issue. Properly and tastefully decorated terrarium with snails resembles a garden with exotic vegetation. Consider in advance the design of housing ahatinok. It is impossible to use stones, grottoes made of clay, shells of exotic mollusks as decorations. All this can damage the body of the animal. Visible scars may remain on it, and sometimes the mollusk will die from injury. The decor of solid materials is also dangerous because the pet can damage the sink. Such a nuisance for Ahatinka is deadly.
For some reason, it is considered to be snails sluggish creatures. In fact, the Akhatins are quite a mobile, active and very inquisitive folk. These "climbers" are often trying to climb the walls of the terrarium, but the "house" outweighs, and the animal falls heavily to the bottom. If the snail plops down on soft soil, it will not cause her any harm, and landing on a hard surface (on the same stone) can result in damage to the shell.
Snails do not need shelter. They carry their “house” on their backs, so an excess of decor will bring nothing but harm.
But the plants will come in handy. For example, fleshy succulents. They do not require complex care and, at the same time, look very original. In addition, succulent plants are resistant, their stem is quite thick. Akhatinka will not be able to break such a “tough guy”. Wheat or green salad will benefit your pet. Of course, wheat grains need to germinate before planting. Naturally, the snail will soon enjoy the salad, but for some time such greenery will delight you with its attractive appearance.
Feeding trough, drinking bowl, bathing
Unfortunately, snails are not distinguished by excessive accuracy. Moving through the terrarium, like a miniature tank, the clam literally sweeps away everything in its path. Therefore, it is natural that the objects placed in the tank should be properly fixed. A small bowl, dug into the ground, will serve as a feeder for the snails. It is advisable to find a place for a shallow pool, which at the same time will be a place for swimming and watering. Make sure that the pool is not too deep, otherwise the animal may drown.
As you can see, these cute clams do not require complex care. Snails terrarium, photos of which are presented in our article, you can take as a basis. Achatina - great pets for people suffering from allergic reactions. It is interesting to care for and watch snails and children. This will be one of the first acquaintance of the baby with wildlife and its representatives.
And how many Achatina snails live you will learn from this article.
Like this article? Take it to the wall, support the project!
How to build a terrarium for "achatinok"?
These mollusks like subtropical, temperate climate, and even a slight decrease in temperature can cause their death. Therefore, owners must provide their pets with suitable conditions. In addition, Akhatinam needs a special reservoir - a terrarium, in which the environment familiar to these animals should be reproduced with maximum precision.
Many owners Akhatin use a normal aquarium, you can create an excellent imitation of natural conditions. In such a tank, the snail will be protected from drafts and cold air, it will keep room temperature and it is not difficult to maintain suitable humidity. The owner must be wary if his ward has become inactive - in this case there is a risk of Ahatinka dying, and most often this is due to the owner’s inattention.
The perfect terrarium for snails Achatin
Many factors are important - from the size of the tank to its decor - after all, this is not about ordinary, but about exotic mollusks:
- calculating the volume of the tank, it should be borne in mind that at least 10 liters are required for one mollusk. It is worth taking attention immediately that, although in captivity Achatina does not grow to the same gigantic size as in the natural environment, they are still quite large snails,
- for a 30-liter tank, a couple Achatin is enough - however, if they dwell in comfort, the appearance of offspring will not have to wait long
- to run away such a pet will not run away, but it may well crawl out of the tank, so it is advisable to provide it with a lid with holes - this will be protection and ventilation,
- the ideal size of the house for snails - height not less than 20 cm, width - from 35 cm,
- direct sunlight is harmful to Achatina, they can lead to the death of a pet, so the terrarium should be installed in a dark place,
- in the terrarium or aquarium, the bottom should be covered with a layer of soil - moss and coconut substrate are ideal for snails,
- there should be several feeders for Akhatina - everyday food is put into one, and additional feedings are put into others: grain mixture, composition with eggshell, fodder chalk, rolled oats, etc.
- a bathing tank must be made of plastic material, with low sides and a small volume of water so that the snail does not choke (it will not splash and dive, it is just nice to be in the water),
- all tanks, bowls, etc., should be fixed, otherwise the snail can turn everything in an awkward movement,
- In order to maintain and monitor the readings of temperature, humidity and other parameters, the container must be supplied with a thermometer, hydrometer and other instruments,
- a terrarium needs weekly general cleaning to maintain a constant cleanliness; you can prepare a sponge with good absorbent properties.
Special attention should be paid to the ground, as it performs several important functions at once:
- maintains humidity in the tank - for this it is enough to spray 2-3 times during the day,
- many Akhatinians prefer to rest during the day, having buried in the ground - therefore its layer should be thick enough, and its consistency - loose,
- the substrate is also a place for laying eggs - in it the future offspring is cozy and warm,
- the ground excludes the cases of snail injuries when they slide off the walls or lids of the tank and fall to the bottom (it often happens that when the Achatina falls from a height, a shell is broken and the animal dies).
Container as a terrarium
Many Akhatin owners go by a simple way and keep their African wards not in aquariums-terrariums, but in plastic boxes. How suitable is such housing for exotic snails? As it turned out, the container is an excellent option when it comes to 30-40-liter capacity. Ideal - a transparent box with a removable lid and holes that provide full ventilation.
The minimum height of the tank walls is 20 cm, length is 30 cm. Naturally, if the owner is going to breed Akhatin, he should take care of a spacious house for its inhabitants, whose number will increase over time.
As in the terrarium, it is necessary to maintain a certain humidity in the container, and the container should not stand in the sun. In no case can mollusks bask in direct sunlight - this will cause dehydration of the animal and its death.
If the snail house is a regular container, it should be placed in the box, the bottom of which you want to cover the substrate. The thickness of the substrate for large snails should be at least 10 cm.
For these purposes, in a zoo or gardening shop you can buy a package of special soil or loose sand. Choosing a suitable substrate, you should focus on the pH of the composition, it is usually indicated on the package. Best of all, if this figure is 7.0. If you put a soil with low acidity in the tank with snails, it can damage the skin or the shells of the inhabitants.
If soil is used as soil from its own plot, then it must be sterilized beforehand - in a hot oven or refrigerator. Otherwise, infection or parasites can enter the house.
Arrangement of a snail house
The owner of the African snails can approach the issue creatively and independently arrange the home of their pets. In this case, you can think of comfortable conditions for both daytime entertainment and for night rest.
The basis of a homemade house can become shards from pottery, pebbles, shells. You can lay out one part of the tank with soil and the other with decor, as some of Achatinas love the soil, while others have a weakness for stones. Already during the observations of the mollusk the owner will be able to understand his preferences.
As a water tank, you can use a small saucer, the snail will be able to climb into it, and there is no risk of drowning. It is advisable to plant a terrarium with live vegetation - ivy, ferns, moss. Эти растения прекрасно себя чувствуют в среде с повышенной влажностью. Плющ является отличным решением для емкости скромных размеров.
Крышка для резервуара
Важно, чтобы домик Ахатин регулярно проветривался, и при этом влажность в нем была стабильной. And if the container is not covered, then aeration will be too strong, as a result, the humidity will steadily decrease. The cover will help to solve these problems so that moderate airing does not stop, there must be holes in it. They can also be made with the help of awls and in the walls of the tank itself.
In the lid of the container, you can make a window and block it with a piece of mosquito netting, sticking it from the outside with superglue. It is important that the inhabitants do not come into contact with the adhesive. Such a precaution will prevent insects from entering the terrarium. The soil should always be clean, moderately wet, but not damp.
If regular spraying of water does not help, and the air in the tank quickly becomes dry, then you can close the holes in the walls or the lid with plastic film, which will provide a “bath” effect.
How to care for home Achatins?
Giant African snails have significant advantages - they are quiet, non-sticky and not smelling pets that do not need regular run and other events. But this does not mean that they do not need care:
- the house of exotic inhabitants must be thoroughly cleaned once a week,
- Achatin bathe - gently, without a contrasting shower, sprinkling them from the spray. Harm to mollusks can cause both hot and cool water,
- special care is needed snail shell - it is necessary to inspect for diseases and injuries, when detecting plaque, stains, chips, cracks, it is recommended to consult a specialist,
- If you can not visit the veterinary clinic or there is no specialist in the treatment of mollusks, you can use a non-toxic adhesive.
Care for the sink Achatin is recommended as follows:
- strengthen its material - so that the shell is strong and resistant to all sorts of damage, it is recommended to treat it with a mixture of calcium or crushed shell,
- damage to the shell in snails can be tightened without assistance, but in order to stimulate the process, they can be sealed with non-toxic glue or a layer of plaster,
- Many snails are quite aggressive animals and are able to bite off limbs to other inhabitants of the reservoir. Snails, which seem to neighbors "delicacy", should be smeared with a shell of petroleum jelly to discourage the appetite from the voracious residents,
- prophylactic measure is the treatment of terrarium with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. This avoids the development of mites and fungi in the tank.
Features care for offspring Achatin
Laying snails all the time before the advent of babies is in the thickness of the substrate. The environment should be wet - if the soil is dry, then the eggs most often die. Doing soil moistening is not worth it, as this may cause the death of offspring. The optimum air temperature for snails is 28 ° C. You should not touch the eggs with your hands, since the tender shells can easily be damaged.
The next stage: care for young Achatin. Individuals do not require any complicated procedures. One clam can lay up to 75% of eggs, and three weeks later snails hatch from them. In some cases, it may take 4 weeks from the moment of laying eggs to hatching babies from them.
The offspring is removed from the parents, and when the young grow up, the individuals are placed in different reservoirs - this will exclude uncontrolled mating and reproduction.
Feeding regime and diet
An important aspect of the maintenance of giant snails, because if the pet does not get everything you need, it gets sick and dies. Akhatinam can not be given:
- sour food, pastry and flour products,
- green tomatoes,
- sweet foods and drinks
- smoked meats
In their natural habitat, these snails eat almost everything, from rotting plants to the bark of citruses. They grind food with a tongue covered with thorns with a keratinized surface. They do not refuse from carrion, mushrooms, algae, lichens. At home, Akhatin is fed with melons, pumpkin, greens, lettuce, sunflower, eucalyptus leaves, legumes, onions, potatoes, spinach, baby corn.
It is useful to give pets shoots of cereals and vegetables, tops from beets and carrots. You can also diversify the favorite menu with young birch, lime, apple or oak leaves, fresh juice from pumpkin, carrot, peach, pear.
It is worth noting that the young of this breed loves to eat the living vegetation, while the adults prefer rotting remnants. Many owners get the real fussy, waiting for something "tastier." But usually this behavior is amenable to correction, and, not waiting for a tasty bonus, the Ahatins begin to eat what the host has offered them.
More recently, the Akhatins in Russia were truly exotic. Sellers quickly sold these overseas inhabitants, and the army of fans of giant snails was growing steadily. Today, many contain these mollusks and even get offspring, which confirms that caring for them is not as complicated as it seems.
Choosing capacity for content Akhatin
The snail is the only living thing on the planet that carries its home behind its shoulders, but without a terrarium or container, it is not possible to keep an African guest at home.
Capacity for comfortable living mollusk must meet several requirements:
- the form should not be round,
- the walls should be transparent or matte,
- do not use plywood or cardboard box
- a lid is required,
- Made from safe materials.
Terrarium for Ahatin
Terrarium is vertical and horizontal. For content Achatina more suitable horizontal terrarium, with a large area of the bottom, low and wide. Achatina should not break falling from the wall or ceiling. Terrarium can be purchased at the pet store or on the Internet. When buying, pay attention to what materials it is made in order not to harm the health of your pet.
The volume of the terrarium should be 5 times the size of an adult snail. Simply put, at least 20 liters per individual.
The terrarium is always equipped with a lid that will not allow the snail to leave it alone and make a trip to your apartment. In terrariums, everything is already thought out for attaching a thermometer, hygrometer and thermal cords, so there shouldn't be any problems with all these necessary accessories.
But the terrarium has the only negative - this is its expensive price, so if you don’t have a large budget, look at used markets and free bulletin boards. Also, the price of a terrarium depends on the materials used in its manufacture.
If it is glass, then its price is small, but the glass makes it heavy and fragile. If the terrarium is made of Plexiglas, its price is high, but it is light and not as fragile as glass. Many beginners use the old aquarium as a terrarium for Achatina.
Aquarium for snails.
You can keep an African snail in an aquarium, but it should not be round and its volume should be at least 20 liters. The tank should be rectangular with a wide bottom.
Be sure to equip it from the top with a glass or plexiglas lid so that the snail does not run away. Make holes in the aquarium for ventilation.
Cons of the aquarium:
- heavy since it is made of glass
- fragile, with careless handling, can be injured,
- inconvenient to drill holes in the glass,
- if you buy, then a terrarium is better.
Food container for Ahatin
Today, a plastic container is becoming increasingly popular as a snail house. It is made of environmentally friendly materials, any volume is sold, and also the walls of the container are transparent, which gives us the opportunity to follow the behavior of our pet. It also has a lid, which is mandatory for keeping shellfish at home.
Achatina in food container
In the container you can easily install a thermometer, hygrometer and thermovial as needed. Independently make the correct ventilation for snails.
What capacity to choose to keep snails Achatina, you decide. It is important that the conditions of their stay in our homes are as close to natural as possible. Common mistakes of the ulitkovods.
How to make proper ventilation
The snail does not need a lot of oxygen, but fresh air is needed even by it. The air dries the soil in the terrarium, preventing the formation of mold and unpleasant odors. On the Internet there are two opinions about ventilation in the dwellings of Achatina. Some argue that it is enough to make several holes in the lid of the terrarium and this will be enough for a comfortable life of the mollusk.
If you notice that the soil dries quickly - seal a few holes.
Others argue that the air should not only enter the terrarium, but also go out. Proper air circulation is provided by the holes in the walls of the terrarium. On one side - at ground level, on the other side - just below the cover of the terrarium. Holes should not be thicker than matches.
If you have a terrarium for hamsters - seal the half of the holes on the cover, preventing quick drying of the soil.
How to choose a place for a container with snails.
Achatina is contraindicated in direct sunlight, so you can place a terrarium on a bedside table or shelf away from sunlight and drafts. Do not place snails near the battery or radiator, as they will be hot and they may die.
Decorate the container from both sides with fresh flowers or artificial plants, let it be a corner of exotic and relaxation.
Types of soil for snails
African snails cannot live without soil, as they sleep in it, lay eggs and the soil helps to maintain the necessary humidity in the terrarium, and if the snail breaks off the wall or the lid, the soil will not allow it to break. Examples of popular soils for snails.
- Coconut substrate is an inexpensive and most common type of litter in a terrarium. It keeps moisture well, does not stain the walls and the snail.
- Peat - an inexpensive type of soil. It keeps moisture well, but it is better to use it in a mixture with other types of soil.
- Moss is an affordable and favorite type of litter. Holds moisture and serves as a kind of indicator of moisture in the terrarium. The walls and snail is always clean. Interferes with emergence and reproduction of midges.
- The land is a good soil, it holds moisture and snails feel great in the floral earth.
- Leaf litter - serves as an independent and additional type of soil for the snail. She buries herself in it and rests during the daytime.
We decorate the terrarium with natural materials
You can add beauty and natural landscape with bark, branches, cones and living plants.
The Achatina snail often digs into the ground under branches or snags, so interesting branches can be found in the forest itself, and you can buy it at the pet store. If you find a snag or branch, be sure to wash it and fry for 10 minutes in the microwave.
Mysteriousness in the terrarium will bring a large piece of bark, which you can also pick up in the forest or planting. It should also be processed before being placed in the dwelling of the Achatines. Snails will rest in an artificial shelter of a piece of bark.
Over the ground, you can decompose the moss. Forest moss can be collected in the forest, but it should be soaked for 10 hours in cold water, then boiled over with boiling water and only after that spread out in the terrarium as a carpet or make fancy bumps of it.
Sphagnum moss is sold at a pet store and does not require additional processing. Serves as a beautiful green litter.
In addition to moss, lay out a few spruce cones, this will give the forest landscape a complete look.
As an artificial shelter for the daytime rest of the snail, you can use half a coconut. Spread out the nearby dry leaves of oak or birch.
Do not forget about living plants that feel good in wet ground.
- Money Tree,
Living plants will have to be updated from time to time, as snails will eat them. Replacements will require snags and branches, bark and moss, all natural materials that, in a moist, warm environment, lose their attractive appearance. Thus, the decor in your terrarium will always be new.
We equip the terrarium with artificial accessories
It is possible to decorate the snails house Akhatin not only with natural materials, but also with artificial accessories.
The shards from the old flowerpot provide shelter for the snail.
Place a plastic container with warm water in the terrarium, this will help maintain the humidity in it and your pet will always be able to take water procedures in it.
Natural flowers can be replaced with artificial ones, which will not be eaten by snails, will not fade and will always please green leaves.
It is not advisable to use stones, porcelain and baked clay in a snail terrarium if it falls from the ceiling or wall of the terrarium. If you hit a stone, clay or glass products, the consequences for it will be fatal.