Aquarium fish create comfort in the house. It is believed that these are pets that are easiest to care for. Therefore, it is usually those who give birth to fish who are not at home all day and often leave for a long time. It seems to them that the fish will not suffer in the absence of the owner. But in fact, these pets require the same attention and care, like everyone else. And besides maintaining the right atmosphere for them in the aquarium, it is very important that their food is regular. Therefore, travel lovers are faced with such a problem: how to feed the fish in their absence? The best way out in this case would be an aquarium feeder. You can buy it at a pet store or on the market, then it will provide a normal diet for pets for a long time. If the owner of the fish leaves for a short time, such a device can be made by yourself.
What is a feeder for aquarium
To make the fish feel good, be active and beautiful, they need to be regularly fed. But what if sometimes there is no such possibility? This happens if the owner leaves for a few days - on vacation or to the country, in offices and organizations that are closed for weekends or holidays. In these cases, you can use the feeders for fish in the aquarium. These are the devices that pour out a portion of the feed in a designated time at a special time. They are intended for feeding adult fish dry food. Such feeders are attached to the wall or cover of the aquarium, and are powered from the network or finger batteries.
Device automatic feeders
All such accessories for the aquarium have the same principle of operation. It lies in the fact that at a certain time a certain amount of food poured out of the container into the aquarium. Different auto feeders can differ in the presence of various additional functions, such as a digital display or a fan.
1. The most commonly used feeders with a rotating container. The principle of their operation is that a certain amount of feed is poured out when the drum is rotated through the hole in the tank.
2. A simpler device have a disk feeders. In them, the container is divided into a certain number of compartments, which are sequentially emptied as the disc is rotated.
3. The most expensive is an electronic car feeder for an aquarium. In it, with the help of a given program, a stub is opened at a certain time, and part of the feed is poured.
Disadvantages of such devices
1. They are designed to supply only dry food. Through such devices can not feed the fish live or frozen food. Therefore, prolonged feeding in this way can lead to nutritional deficiencies and pet diseases.
2. With the help of automatic feeders can not feed the fry. For them, you need a special diet and diet.
3. Another disadvantage is that the aquarium feeder is very expensive. Its price ranges from 1.5 to 7 thousand rubles.
The most common auto feeders
1. One of the most popular now is the company Hydor. Its advantages include a convenient digital display, 10 different feed options and two or three meals a day.
2. The company Eheim also produces popular models of automatic feeders. They are characterized by a convenient rotating feed hopper, built-in fan to prevent damage to the feed and a variety of feeding modes.
3. One of the cheapest is the Juwel manger. Its feature is ease of use, the ability to install anywhere in the aquarium and two-time feed.
4. Hagen is the smallest aquarium feeder. Food in it can be used even very small, though it only holds 14 grams.
How to use auto feeders
The mechanism of their action is simple. To feed worked, you need:
- pour dry food in the form of granules, flakes or tablets into a container,
- program the feeder for one or two meals a day,
- adjust the amount of spilled feed,
- Strengthen the feeder at the aquarium and turn it on.
Typically, such devices are conveniently mounted and powered by finger batteries. If the aquarium feeder is turned on, it can be inconvenient for long-term use, since possible voltage fluctuations can knock down the settings. Therefore, in this case, it must be connected to the battery. In order for the feeders to serve for a long time and correctly, it is necessary to clean them regularly and do not forget to change the batteries.
Automatic feeder for aquarium do it yourself
The device of such devices is very simple, but their prices are quite high. Because many aquarists make them themselves. The disadvantages of homemade automatic feeders include the inability to regulate portions of food and feeding regime.
1. The most complex design is available only to the skilled craftsman who is versed in electronics. For its manufacture need an engine with gear. The shaft should rotate at low speed. You can take parts from children's toys or use two timers. A plastic container with a lid is attached to the shaft. On one side you need to cut a narrow long slit. A part of the feed will be poured through it when the container is rotated.
2. Anyone can make a simpler fixture. To do this, you need an alarm clock with a thick clock hand and a small lightweight plastic container with a screw cap. It is cut a hole for rash feed. The box is mounted on the hour hand of the clock. And twice a day, the hole is at the bottom. To prevent a lot of food from pouring out at once, you can stick a partition inside or skip a small tube into it.
3. The most interesting one-time automatic feeder is done quite simply. It is necessary to take a plastic bottle, cut off the bottom of it and fix it down with the neck over the unscrewed lid above the aquarium so that all food does not immediately spill out. In the bottle directly into the feed you need to put a cell, put on vibration mode. And at a certain time you need to call this phone. How long will the call, so much food will pour out. This way you can use if you want to unexpectedly leave for a while.
1. EHEIM - automatic feeder for daily feeding of fish.
It comes with a volume of 100 ml. It can be programmed via the LCD touchscreen, for example, by specifying that it feeds your fish up to 8 times a day.
It can be used to distribute most types of food, and you can even use it to feed frogs, newts and turtles.
It is easy to install using a guide and universal mounting clip.
With the help of an adjustable slider you can set the size of the portion to be delivered. There is also a button for handing out a portion so that you can feed your fish outside of the pre-programmed schedule. The manger is designed so as not to stop, even if the feed slot is in an inverted position. It is transparent, so you always know how much food is left inside. Thanks to the built-in fan and the internal ventilation system, the feed always remains dry.
The feeder is very reliable, and the buttons are protected from splashes. The charge lasts up to 6 weeks of feeding if you use not one, but 2 AA batteries. There is a two-stage charge level indicator that will warn you early enough that it’s time to change batteries.
There are no downsides to the EHEIM fish feeder, and even the price turned out to be quite affordable. The manufacturer guarantees at least a year of uninterrupted service without maintenance and you can really rely on this robot. Its easy to customize and use. It also comes with a 3 year warranty from the manufacturer.
However, for some, there may be a few questions about breakdowns of parts of the feeder. Overall, the build quality is very good, which explains its reputation in the robot market and why it received so many grateful comments.
Perhaps the only thing wrong with her is that she doesn’t have an “off” button, but personally I cannot see a reasonably good reason why you would like to turn it off. Remember that if you remove the batteries to turn off the feeder, you will then have to program it again.
2. Device for automatic feeding of IntelliFeed fish
If you have a lot of fish to feed, then this is a great option. It is programmed to feed fish twice a day, and you can distribute up to 12 feeds each day. It works great in restraining moisture from the external environment, so the food inside remains dry and easily distributed. It is also easy to install and configure.
His power is large enough and many people admire his ability to keep your fish alive even after a holiday of 3 weeks or more.
Batteries are reliable enough, and even a power adapter is a special bonus, so you are not completely dependent on batteries. Once you configure it, it will be very easy to use.
The fish feeder has many moving parts, so there is a greater chance that some part will break. But judging by the reviews, it has been working for over a year without any problems. The problem is that it is not quite easy to access the battery pack after the fish feeder is set up and installed. These are all minor complaints, since even those users who have broken it after 3 months still plan to buy it again.
The only other problem is that all these great features are not cheap.
* Can feed a lot of fish
* Effective against moisture
* Quite expensive
* It is not easy to access the batteries
3. Hydoor - automatic fish feeder
This is one of the most reliable candidates you can find on the market if you want to feed your fish automatically. The design is exceptional, so you do not have to worry about any breakage. Even moisture is not a problem - food stays dry.
You can feed the fish from 1 to 3 times a day, depending on the food option used. The amount of food you ship at a time is also regulated.
The battery charge is used very efficiently, so even with 3 feeds per day you do not have to change batteries for 9 or even 10 months. There is a low battery indicator, so you'll know when it's time to change batteries.
The only major problem with the build is that it is not so easy to set up, since you only have limited options when mounting it. And one problem with the design is that the food container is not very large.
And programming actions trough not quite flexible. First, it is too complicated. Secondly, you can choose only designated nutritional schedules, for example, twice a day every 12 hours or 3 times a day every 8 hours.
And there is no way to set the feeding time later. If you want to set up a delivery at 8 am, you need to wait until that time to set it up.
* Extremely reliable
* Can work very long with batteries.
* Hard to set up
* Loses programmed parameters
4. Meco - automatic aquarium feeder
Many people complain about this feeder due to the complexity of the setup. But the fact is that you need to read the manual if you want it to work properly.
If you do, it will fulfill what the producer promises, and it will feed your fish up to 4 times a day with controlled amounts of food.
The device is a bit cumbersome, but the setup is not difficult. The feeder uses 2 AA batteries, but does not work with rechargeable batteries. The size of the food compartment is good only for feeding for 2-3 weeks. You will not be able to go on a monthly vacation with this feeder.
This is the cheapest lot, and the quality is good enough for this price.
* Pretty affordable
* Not configured intuitively.
* Food container is very small
5. Automatic feeder for fish Rusee Daily
The Rusee automatic feeder is a battery-powered life-support system for aquarium fish, which is mounted on the edge of the aquarium.
The battery-powered motor is controlled by a timer function.
Fish food is contained in a rotating plastic bin. A sliding window regulates how much food falls out of the bunker when the timer tells the engine to rotate.
Each time the motor rotates the feed hopper, one reset occurs. Fish food enters the aquarium water when the hopper turns over for a short time.
The timer can be programmed to feed fish up to six times within a 24-hour period. Setting is simple as setting a digital clock. Plastic pins are mounted on the dial, indicating when to feed. The timer can be turned off for manual feeding.
The Rusee Automatic Fish Feeder can dispense a variety of feeds, including flakes, pellets, chips, and pellets to about 5/16 ".
Because it is battery powered, the Rusee automatic feeder can be used outdoors without the risk of an electric shock. You can feed the pond fish while you are far from the reservoir, but you have to build a small bracket to keep the feeder near the edge of the pond.
* Battery powered when power outage.
* Distributes various types of products.
* Feeding several times a day.
* Accurate dosing of food is not possible.
* It is not possible to feed different foods on different days like the more advanced feeders.
* The timer is not synchronized with quartz and is lagging when the battery is discharged.
What is the use?
Feeding trough in the aquarium performs several significant functions.
- As mentioned above, a permanent feeding place for fish.
- Thanks to her food does not spread around the aquarium. It settles in one place, from where its remnants are convenient to clean.
- Again, without spreading over the aquarium, the food does not settle in the far corners, where it will rot and quickly pollute the water.
- The use of fish feeders greatly simplifies the use of live food. Usually its particles are much heavier than water, and it precipitates rapidly. With the feeder, the feed is kept, and the fish have enough time to feast on them.
The modern market aquarium offers a lot of different models of feeders. Moreover, they can be assembled independently from scrap materials.
Among the ready-made models there are usually two types: floating and automatic.
Modern floating fish feeders are attached to the wall of the aquarium with special suckers. Such devices are made of plastic, they represent a kind of fence that does not allow the stern to creep away. Free-floating feeders are now becoming less common.
To use live fish food in the feeder, a special cone with a mesh surface is installed. This cone is under water, and a decrease in its level does not affect it in any way. All the worms remain in the feeder, and the fish just grab them. The sieve bottom can be removed, which makes it doubly convenient: it allows you to use different types of feed.
The main problem in the use of floating feeders - lowering the water level in the aquarium. The feeder is fixed by suction cups, and when the level is lowered, it bends down and ceases to hold the feed. In this case, there are feeders with a guide that slide as the water level rises or rises.
From the name it is clear that the main task of such feeders is to automate the process of feeding fish. It is especially convenient for two categories of aquarists:
- Those who are often absent at home due to certain circumstances.
- Those who contain several aquariums, which take a long time without feeding.
Attached automatic aquarium feeder on the side wall above. It consists of a sealed engine compartment, a battery compartment and a control unit. The tank with food is placed above the surface of the aquarium water. Using the timer, you set the required time for serving food, and as soon as the time is right, the feeder automatically throws out a portion of fish food.
Usually, automatic feeders are also equipped with a regulator of the amount of feed produced - in order not to fill in too much or vice versa very little. Feed should always be so much that the fish ate it for one feeding.
The downside of the machine is the possibility of using only one type of feed. The diet of the fish should be saturated, so if you use the automatic feeder, do not forget to feed your pets.
An important point regarding the installation of the feeder. It is better to put it in the farthest corner in front of compressors and filters. В противном случае корм будет разгоняться потоками во все стороны. Рыбки не получат нужную порцию корма, а аквариум загрязнится быстрее.
Альтернативой покупным кормушкам выступает кормушка для рыб, созданная своими руками. Если пока вы не можете или не хотите приобретать конструкцию в магазине, можно сделать кормушку самостоятельно. Вариантов множество: из пенопласта, из пластика, из оргстекла, из резиновой трубки.
Feeding trough from polyfoam the hands - the simplest and budgetary option. Find an old waste piece of foam, 1-1.5 centimeters high. The size of the future trough determine for yourself, based on the number of fish and the volume of the aquarium. A frame is cut from a piece, all unnecessary pieces of material are carefully removed.
Polyfoam perfectly keeps on water, and in case of damage the structure is easy to replace with a new one, also created by yourself. The disadvantages of such a feeder are its fragility and the ability of a material to absorb dirt.
This feeder will be more reliable than foam. Making it yourself is very simple: take a rubber tube with a diameter of about 1 centimeter. Bend the tube with a ring, firmly fix the ends.
Self-made tube design is more durable and more resistant to mechanical damage. But you need to carefully fix the ends of the tube, because if some water gets into it, it will sink.
From these materials it is convenient to make feeders for live food.
The thickness of a piece of plastic or glass varies from 1.5 to 2 millimeters. The frame itself is made of four strips of material glued with waterproof glue. The bottom is a piece of plastic with holes drilled in advance. It is also glued to the frame.
Making your own feeders in the aquarium is a simple task. But if you are concerned not only with the health of the fish, but also with the aesthetic appearance of the aquarium, it is better to go to the pet store and buy a ready-made model. In addition, floating plastic feeders have a low cost.
It doesn’t matter whether it is made with own hands or bought at a pet store, with a feeder in the aquarium will be much cleaner. Cleaning residues will not take much time. But most importantly, the aquarium fish feeder will allow you to create the most comfortable feeding conditions for your pets, ensuring them a healthy and long life.
Most fish with no consequences can endure a hunger strike for up to 7 days. But what if we need to leave the house for a longer time? The easiest option is to ask a relative / friend / neighbor to feed the fish. But, unfortunately, people, especially those who are far from aquaria, “feel sorry for the hungry fish” and can feed food several times more than the norm, which can cause a violation of the biobalance in the aquarium and even the death of all its inhabitants. To solve the problem of feeding the fish with a long absence of the owner, the aquarium feeder is designed.
Principle of operation
Consider the principle of the automatic feeder on the example of Tetra MyFeeder. The main task of the device is a portion ration of food into the aquarium at specified intervals. The automatic feeder consists of three main parts: a rotating drum with a hole, a digital control unit and a plastic casing that protects the feed from light and moisture. Before leaving, the feeder drum is filled with dry food (flakes or small granules) and attached to the control unit, on which the feeding interval is set, after which the protective cover is put on.
Tetra MyFeeder allows you to program up to three feedings per day at a specific time. The device operates on batteries, which are pre-installed in the case of the control box of the feeder. Next, you need to adjust with the help of a special slider the amount of food that will sleep for one feeding from the feeder. The smaller the hole, the smaller the feed will be the fish. Do not forget about the possibility to program the number of revolutions of the feeder within one feeding (the drum can turn one, two or three times, thus providing a different amount of feed). The feeder is installed on the aquarium so that the window of the drum is above the surface of the water. At a specified time, the drum with the feed rotates, and a portion of the feed from the feeder pours into the aquarium. In addition, there is a manual mode of operation, through which you can feed the fish at any time, regardless of a given feeding program. To do this, just press the button with the image of a fish. The drum will make one turn and give a portion of food to the aquarium.
automatic feeder device
Advantages and disadvantages
Using an automatic feeder has several undeniable advantages:
• You can leave the fish for a long time without fear for their health. A daily portion of pet food is guaranteed.
• Feed will be given strictly at the same time. The fish develop a conditioned reflex at the time of feeding, so they will gather in advance at the place where they will receive a new portion of feed from the feeder.
• It is possible to precisely adjust the amount of feed supplied with each portion.
• Reduced risk of overfeeding fish, as often happens if the fish remain in the care of friends or relatives.
Minus automatic feeders:
• Not suitable for live or frozen feed.
Auto Feed Setup
Installation and Setup
Consider the process of installing and configuring an automatic fish feeder using the example of Tetra MyFeeder.
1. Remove the feeder from the original packaging.
2. Install two finger-type batteries in the battery compartment, observing polarity.
Attention! When removing the batteries, all settings of the feeder are reset to the factory settings.
3. The next step is to set up the control box for the feeder. First of all, the time format is chosen - 12 or 24 hours.
4. Set the current time.
5. Check if the feeder is working properly by running it in manual mode (you need to press the icon with the fish). If FEEDING appeared on the screen and the drum made a 360 degree circular rotation, then the feeder is working.
6. Set the feeding time. Tetra MyFeeder Automatic Aquarium Feeder allows you to program up to three daily feedings. You can also choose a serving size: for each feeding, the feeder can make from 1 to 3 turns.
Pressing the INFO button opens the information menu of the feeder, from which you can find out: battery level, as well as the parameters of each feeding (time and number of servings).
8. In order to fill the feed, you must remove the plastic cover that protects the feed from external influences (light, moisture) and separate it from the control box of the feeder. Shift the shutter on the container completely and fill the feed. It is not recommended to stuff the food tightly into the drum, preferably about 1 cm to the edge of the container. Return the drum to its place and close with a casing.
9. Adjust the amount of feed that will sleep in one turn of the automatic feeder using the green slider. To check the amount of feed, just put a sheet of paper under the feeder and start the manual feeding mode (the button with the green fish), then make corrections.
10. The best choice for an auto feeder will be forage in the form of flakes, small granules and chips. It is not advisable to use large floating granules, large tablets.
11. Install the feeder on the aquarium. Tetra MyFeeder can be installed in several ways: with the help of special clips for the end of the glass of the aquarium or with the help of support legs on the cover or cover glass - the main thing is that the food compartment is located above the open surface of the aquarium.
Option installation automatic feeder Tetra MyFeeder in the aquarium Tetra MyFeeder automatic feeder in the package
Auto Feeder: General Operation
The principle of operation of the device is based on the portion of feed in a unit of time. The mechanics of most modern automatic feeders are, in principle, the same: a strictly metered portion of food is poured into the water through a hole in the drum.
After feeding the drum turns and its compartment is filled again from the common chamber. The capacity of the feed compartment is adjusted using a special shutter, which can be shifted in one direction or another to a characteristic click.
In addition to drum-type devices, there are:
- Fully automated feeders with feed during the opening of a special damper (like curtains in old mechanical cameras).
- And screw deviceswhen the dose of feed is regulated by the number of turns of the worm shaft.
- Available also disk sampleswhere food for fish is served sequentially from the compartments on the disk. At a certain time, the lower disk turns, and all the food from one compartment is poured into the aquarium. Next in turn is the next drive bay.
But the main technological node in all commercial automatic feeders is, of course, an electronic control unit.
Power for many devices can serve as a household AC network, and ordinary batteries.
Overview of Commercial Samples
Like all other aquarium accessories, car feeders from various manufacturers are quite widely represented in the distribution network. They differ in size, container capacity, device and, of course, price. Moreover, the cost depends mainly on the degree of automation: the more electronics in the automatic feeding device, the more expensive it is.
Eheim TWIN model
The German company Eheim produces expensive, elite equipment for aquariums, and the samples of automatic feeders for fish presented by this company are no exception.
It has 2 compartments for food with a total capacity of 160 ml. Each compartment operates independently, feeding different types of food at different times. However, you can program the feeding process as you like.
The powering of the model is carried out from 4-finger batteries, which are included in the package, their resource lasts for about 4 months of work. Of course, the price of Eheim TWIN is rather big - about 7 thousand rubles for a 600-gram device.
Another German company - Hagen - took the path of reducing the size of the equipment.
Thus, the electronic model Hagen Nutramatix weighs only 140 g, and its bunker holds much less food - only 14 g.
This sample is well suited for feeding fry, because 2 times a day at the programmed time can feed even the smallest dry food. The device works on 2 batteries.
The budget version of the automatic feeders is offered by Juwel (Germany).
The model of the drum type weighs 300 g, works on 2 batteries, does not require time-consuming maintenance and provides two times feed per day.
Install the device in any place, the main thing - to cut through the corresponding hole in the lid of the aquarium.
Do not lag behind the German manufacturers Italians.
The auto-feeder FERPLAST CHEF (screw type) precisely feeds the feed, can feed it 3 times a day, protects the food from moist air and works for a rather long time from 2 batteries.
In short, a variety of branded automatic feeders for fish allows you to choose exactly the option that is needed at this time. But you can make this device yourself.
At first glance, it is not easy to make an autoform yourself. But it only seems. If you turn on the imagination a little and understand the principle of feeding at a specific time, then you can figure out that for this you need 2 main things: a desk clock (an ordinary alarm clock) and a light box that will simultaneously play the role of a feed hopper and dispenser.
Such a box with a lid can be made, for example, from light transparent plastic. In the tank (with the lid on) near one of the corners it is necessary to make an even hole through which the feed will fall out.
Then the cover is removed, and the partition is glued into the case so that it separates the space with a hole from the main part. In appearance it resembles the entrance to a maze, viewed from above.
In the center of the case a round hole is carefully cut to fit the improvised aft compartment on the watch shaft. In a box in a vertical position, dry food is poured to a level below the central hole.
The clock mechanism is there: it is the alarm clock itself with the glass removed. A home-made camera is worn on the hour's axis and attached with thin tape to the hour hand. It is necessary to choose a position so that 2 times a day, at a certain time, the slot of the box is at the bottom.
Food will slowly get enough sleep until the hour hand passes a certain way on the dial. It remains only to fix the self-made automatic feeder near the edge of the aquarium cover, above the water.
How long will such a unit last?
It is difficult to say definitely, but enough time to go to the country or to friends for a weekend for a couple of days. It is important that the box is not very heavy, and the batteries for the alarm clock are new. By the way, instead of a plastic box, some homemade craftsmen use a large round pencil sharpener as a container for food.
Bottle and Smartphone
You can try another option. Very funny, but extremely simple.
The plastic bottle is cut in half, and the top half of the bottle is flipped down. The cork must be unscrewed and attached to the neck of the bottle so that there is a small gap between it and the neck.
In the bottle is poured a little small dry food, it does not matter if some of its small part will first get enough sleep. Soon this process will stop by itself. A mobile phone with the “Vibration” mode installed is placed inside the bottle directly into the feed.
Self-made feeder should be installed in a tripod above the water and make a call to a phone number. It begins to vibrate, and the feed from the vibration is poured out exactly in such a dose, how long the work of the telephone apparatus lasts.
Naturally, each such option should be checked during field trials.
Undoubtedly, when you often have to leave home for a long time, it is better to purchase a branded electronic feeder and entrust the feeding process of your favorite fish to it. If such absences are episodic, short and do not want to spend money on expensive equipment, improvised devices will not leave animals without food.
Video about creating a simple feeder for fish using the phone: