To this day, the controversy has not subsided about the origin of this breed. According to one version, such short-footed dogs once lived in the territory of ancient Egypt. The beginning of the formation of the modern breed dates back to the 16th century. The hunting quality of the dogs — it was impossible to get into the narrow manholes where the rest could not be reached, was appreciated; moreover, the maintenance of a small pet did not require much financial expenditures.
The adoption of the first breed standard occurred in 1870. Prior to the same breeding dogs engaged individual breeders, based on personal preferences. Dachshunds came to the territory of Russia in the 30s of the 18th century, and at the turn of the century the first club of fans of this breed appeared. Naturally, the war had a negative impact on the popularity and development of the breed, but its recovery took place so well that today the dachshunds are one of the most common dogs - not so much hunters, but more companions.
Dachshund breed description
The dachshund is a burrowing hunter, and its appearance is related to this destination. There are three types of breed:
- standard tax - growth males varies from 20 to 25 cm, weightYat maximum 9 kg
- dwarf (mini) - weight up to 5.5 kg.,
- rabbit (the smallest species) - up to 15 cm, up to 3.5 kg.
Life expectancy is 12-15 years. But any dachshund has an amazing exterior, which makes it difficult to recognize a dog - it has an elongated body and disproportionate short legs:
- Head in elongated dachshund, tapering towards the nose. The skull is powerful, has a distinct transition from the frontal bone to the nose lobe and weakly defined superciliary arches with hollows.
- Ears hanging, elongated. Nose is pigmented with a dark color - black or brown. The jaws are strong, with tight lips and a good, scissor bite.
- Eyes Oval-shaped, medium-sized, in most cases have dark brown iris, except for dogs with a rare marble color.
- Dachshunds have a strong, muscular, squat body with a dry, powerful neck and a broad chest. Withers in dogs are quite high. Back straight, ending in a convex lumbar belt with a marked waist.
- The abdomen is present, but does not hang, otherwise we are talking about the excess weight of the animal. Croup rounded limbs shortish, muscular, stable, ending with paws with black claws. The hips have pronounced muscle relief.
- Tail thickened, has the appearance of a saber. In a quiet condition it is lowered, when the dog is excited, settles down exactly and gets up above a waist. In taxes, the tail should not curl into a ring or lie on its back.
Coat depends on the type of dachshund. In short-haired individuals thick, smooth, hard. In the long-haired coat, the coat is long, soft, and there is a wave.
There are dogs of various colors, although not all of them are quite common. There are such wool colors:
- different shades of red,
- from straw to brown tones,
- black and yellowish tan
- Coffee with scorching.
In addition, in Germany they were engaged in breeding dachshunds with marble, blue and white colors. Among dogs with hard wool, there are also individuals with ash staining.
The nature and characteristics of socialization
Taxi can be called the ideal hunting dog - its nervous system is very stable and balanced. Moreover, representatives of decorative species of dachshunds are endowed with this quality. The dachshund is a reasonable dog that keeps calm in all situations. She is fearless, and her lively mind and discipline do not allow her to exercise her instincts, where you should not do this. Therefore, unlike other hunting dogs, the dachshund rarely gives vent to the senses and begins to chase cats or other dogs.
According to the temperament type, the dachshund is an obvious sanguine person. She is very curious and inquisitive, which is again connected with the hunt - without having the habit of being interested in what is happening around, the animal cannot be a successful hunter. Dachshund reacts to any, even a slight noise. If there is a dachshund in the house, then she will be the first to know all the news - who came, what she bought, and for which the cat got a scolding.
Representatives of this breed do an excellent job with guard functions. The dog voluntarily begins to protect the house and all those who live in it. Of course, the dog is inferior in size to other, indeed guard breeds, but their voice is rather convincing - loud, serious, it notifies of the threat. This quality, which endows almost all hunting dogs.
Some dachshunds are quite aggressive towards strangers who come into the house and other dogs on the street. But they do it for two reasons - when they feel a real threat or the owners do not care for the pet. Owners should consider the fearlessness of their four-legged friends, they will rush to protect the family, even if the enemy will be several times larger. And it faces serious damage.
In general, the dachshund is a delicate, sociable creature, accustomed to living next to a person. They can not, without communication and long walks with their master. Despite the modest size, the tax can not be attributed to the timid animals. She always keeps with dignity, does not fuss and treats herself and the owner with respect. Because of the inherent pride of these dogs, they will never engage in begging.
Dachshund is an excellent companion for games and always finds a common language with children. The dog takes off all the mischief and can be a good nurse and even a protector for his little owners. Difficult question - the content in the same house dachshunds and other animals. Smaller pets will play the role of game, so you should evaluate these risks. With dogs, these dogs get along if the dog enters the house where there is already a cat or when growing up together. But even in this case, conflicts are possible if the cat tries to clearly dominate.
How to train and raise a dachshund
When acquiring a funny tax kid, you should take into account that the dogs of this breed are designed to penetrate the holes and feed game from the water, so the service dog, no matter how hard you try, will not work out from the tax. In the disciplines that are required for service, they are rather weak.
Owners can be touched by the look of cute short-legged puppies, but do not relax and forget that the dachshund is a dog with iron nerves, it can be surprisingly stubborn, able to be cunning and able to manipulate a person. Therefore, the owner from the first day must prove that he is the main person in this family. When training, one should strive for the obligatory execution of commands, since, waving one's hand at the pet's disobedience once, one will have to struggle every day with the manifestation of laziness.
Taxes do not tend to mindlessly perform tasks, they first assess the situation and decide how best to approach this issue. This must be taken into account when working with a representative of this breed. Purebred pets are extremely active and mobile, they like to sort out a lot, but they don’t rush to give the items to the owner. They like to swim, which allows them to cool in hot weather.
It is important for owners to get unconditional obedience from their pet, but this should be done with mandatory emotional relief. Training can be done daily, but their duration should not exceed 20 minutes.
First of all, the dachshund puppy should be taught to follow its owner and feel the need for communication. For this, the pet needs to be brought to a deserted place and try to attract attention. Any response should be encouraged. The result of such training - the dog will follow the owner, not trying to escape, having smelled something "interesting".
If a puppy is acquired for hunting, then he needs to undergo special training at the prepravochnaya station. But if there are no such intentions, then you can complete the main course of training or you can educate your pet yourself by choosing the nearest platform.
You can read more about the training and education of dogs.
How to care for dachshund
In the care, dachshunds are quite unpretentious, however, this does not mean that they do not require attention at all. The activity of these dogs involves regular long runs - with games, workouts. On the street, they are enthusiastic in studying every bush, blade of grass and pebble. They simply cannot pass by, since their instincts are higher. Therefore, you should not rush your pet or try to interrupt the process.
Pets of this breed are great for living in an apartment, however, if kept in a private house, then games and walks in the local area will benefit them. The animals, staying alone at home, are bored and very happy when the whole family gets together.
The teeth of the dog need to be cared for, they are regularly cleaned using a special tool and a brush. Eyes should be inspected daily, and the discharge should be removed with a damp cotton pad. If signs of conjunctivitis appear, then a solution of furatsilina can be used for washing.
Wool is very easy to care for - it is enough to periodically bathe your pet and dry it, wiping it with a towel made of terry cloth. Given the length of wool, you need to purchase special combs, brushes and comb the dog. Short-haired dogs are combed out once a week and more often during the molting period. For long-haired, this procedure is carried out more often to avoid tangling of hair.
After walking in dry weather, it is enough to rinse the pet's paws or wipe them with a damp cloth. If there is dirt on the street, then you can bathe the dog under the shower without using shampoo. Dachshund claws are trimmed out of necessity, in long-haired animals, hair growing on the paws between the toes is clipped.
Those who are far from dog breeding, answer the word dachshund in this way: "I heard that they are very clever."
Why say so about this dog, which in most cases has brown hair?
Breed brought hunting. Just the use of hunters of this breed in the role of burrowing dogs explains their size, height and weight, the characteristics of external data, the characteristics of their character, and, of course, their excellent intelligence.
Since, when penetrating a burrow, if a dog fights one-on-one with beasts, it is often stronger and more evil than her, the dachshund relies solely on his own strength: on his consideration, insinuation, courage and skill.
But the dachshund fell in love not only with hunters, but also with people who do not hunt, which is why they cannot understand the hunting skills of a dog.
They appreciate the calm nature of the dachshund, its originality, excellent awareness and a kind heart.
In addition, dogs of this breed (for example, a standard dachshund) are extremely unpretentious, have excellent health, do not need large expenses for their maintenance.
Also, no other breed has such a large choice of forms, as well as color, like dachshunds, this allows you to find the right one, even for a very fastidious and demanding person.
Therefore, you can easily start a puppy of this breed at home, because it will give you a lot of joy and happiness while interacting with such a cute animal.
In this case, your location to the tax will turn into a great love, and you will become either a taxman or a taxophile.
What is a dachshund, due to what this breed is so popular in all countries?
Back in 1730, Ditzel, a writer and hunter from Germany, published his book titled Underground Hunting, in which he talked about the following rate:
“Representatives of this breed deserve love for their loyalty and tenderness, besides this, they are extremely intelligent and easy to learn. In the apartment they are obedient and extremely clean.
They constantly choose the most comfortable and warm places in the house. In the courtyard, they zealously and viciously carry guard duty ... The dachshund, as angry, recklessly throws itself at the dogs, markedly superior to them in size and strength. ”
Their advantages as hunter dogs were mentioned in 1746 by Debele, who knows a lot about hunting, in his work “Practical hunting”.
He said that the dachshund is the smallest dog among other breeds, it is distinguished by courage, which it shows, being underground in the hole of the beast or in its passage, which can sometimes be extremely narrow, so it is almost impossible to get into it.
The dachshund here shows such great dexterity that you can hardly find it from anyone.
The famous zoologist from Germany, Brehm, spoke of the following: this breed is intelligent, understanding, loyal to its owner, has a positive and good character, is very attentive, does not succumb to the lures of strangers.
Today's dog breeders, like those, love a taxi for strength of character, clearly traced originality, excellent intellectual abilities and a brave heart.
This breed can endure everything, clings to life, has good health and a strong nervous system, which is characteristic of a strong build dog. Only the dachshund is so independent and independent, as well as inventive.
But there is an opinion that sometimes a dachshund differs by disobedience and obstinacy. This is partly true, but this behavior speaks of her qualities as a hunter.
Since at the time of the battle the dog with the beast, which is much larger than its weight and height, it’s about life or death, the tax rests largely on its ingenuity and flexibility, and not on physical indicators.
Here she does not need the host team, she alone decides everything herself in a short time. So it is quite clear that the dachshund is everyday ready to show its independence and cunning.
A representative of this breed performs the team slowly. If the owner is smart and likes the dog, and also managed to get along with her, then the dachshund loves and respects its owner, listens to him, is agreeable and sociable.
Dachshund has the logic and understanding of their actions, does not have complexes, is calm, knows its value. Such a dog will not forgive rudeness and neglect, here you will encounter stubbornness and disobedience, as well as its integrity. Remember - the dachshund wants to be respected.
Dachshunds have great guard qualities, are able to protect the home, the owner and his property.
The slight growth of this personality does not suit her sonorous and strong voice.
The barking of this pet can suddenly stop a person whom no one has invited, if he decided to open the closed door secretly from the owner. An uninvited guest does not distinguish its barking from the barking of a large dog.
Despite the rather short legs, she is ready to become your guide even not for long distances, the taxis are hard to tire, she is able to overcome impressive physical exertion.
Also, most dachshunds are great swimmers, if properly trained, they will do an excellent job with hunting water.
At home, this baby will be an excellent hostess, she is familiar with household chores, in the course of classes of all family members. She needs the most comfortable and warm nook, she is not averse to sleeping, having her nose buried in a blanket.
Dachshund appreciates comfort, often climbs on the handles or on the knees of those whom he loves. These charming creatures are distinguished by affection and affection for their owners, they are very delicate, but they possess genuine persistence and perseverance if they need something.
If you have a dachshund, then I can say one thing - you will never get bored with it, it is a tender and intelligent animal that deserves your constant attention!
In the photo sample below, we tried to collect as many interesting pictures as possible. We hope they will convince you that there is no more cheerful, active, but at the same time devotional pet than dachshunds.
You will learn a lot of useful and interesting information about the features of character, habits and types of taxes from an experienced dog owner on the video below.
Characteristics of dachshund breed
- 22 - 27 cm male, 20 - 25 cm - female,
- Dwarf 16–21 cm (14-19 bitch),
- Rabbit 12 - 15 cm (10-13 bitch).
- Up to 9 kg male, 7 kg - female,
- Dwarf - up to 4 kg (3.5 bitch),
- Rabbit - up to 3.5 kg (3 kg bitch).
Puppy price (maximum):
- Without class: $ 100,
- PET class: $ 300,
- Bridal class: $ 500,
- SHOW class: up to $ 1000.
Lifespan: 14-16 years old, this is a miniature long-liver dog type.
Dachshund character, behavior peculiarities
For all loyalty to the owner, the dog manages to combine the incompatible:
- She is playful and businesslike at the same time,
- Loyal and independent
- Amenable to training, but may not execute the command, not finding it reasonable. Dachshund has its own logic and analytics, it decides (!) - what is worthy of attention, and what, perhaps, can be neglected,
- Affectionate dog at the moment will turn into an indomitable brave beast, if it decides that there is a danger. Over whoever she saw the threat - over the owner, a family member or themselves, will be desperate to protect.
- Before the lightning attack give big dog representatives. On the hunt, wild beasts are lost, which is in the hands of the hunter. While the game realizes that this strange phenomenon “barks at the elephant”, this game may turn out to be a trophy.
- Hunting in a hole, in fact - in someone else's house - always a risk for the attacker. A miniature dog in the role of a hunter is constantly at risk. Such is its nature.
Behavior: at home, in the yard, on the street
This aspect is almost entirely dependent on the tactics of education. And from the very "schenyache".
- Will explain the owner of the ward, what's what, she - will understand. Примет правила дома.
- Решит семья побаловать малышку – пиши пропало. Перевоспитать будет сложно, если вообще возможно.
- At home the ward may well behave in the style of "innocence itself." But this is a highly intellectual innocence. She can sometimes afford something that you don’t like, if you don’t let her adore her. Scold dachshund, seeing her for digging holes in the area? May be offended. The occupation will stop, but later will arrange compensation in the form of a tattered sofa, at best - pillows. Character!
- The dachshund manages to run around all the neighbors' yards with such a look as if it is its property. Well, if only to run around. More often there she will rummage in the garden, hunt for chickens ...
- He knows his pets, including birds and cats. Do not touch (if explained in time). Even the wolf near the den does not hunt. But the moves - it is better for her to block access to foreign territory. Although this is problematic: burrows to dig a cute creature can selflessly. Naked concrete enclosure plunges her into depression: where to implement the instincts?
- Living in an apartment has its own characteristics. Cheerful puppy does not tolerate loneliness. To accustom to absences, not to encourage (and better stop) whining, barking for no reason and even more so - howl, you need to immediately. Another is fraught with discontent of neighbors, and the owner himself will not be happy to hear his pet give out trills for the whole house.
- This approximate description of the dachshund breed is designed to help the future owner orient himself: did he choose the dog? Will cope? Match desires with opportunities, then make a decision.
They call her a “badger dog.”
Centuries ago, the German Daxhound dog (badger dog) was exclusively a hunter. Specialized in the Norwegian Beast. Equal to her in hunting skill was not and is not. The percentage of "working" huntings among dachshunds is now small. But the instincts are preserved, even if the dachshund bow or butterfly wear. Allow the animals imitating the hunt of the game, the implementation in this direction is necessary for the four-legged friend like air. Otherwise, the dog will feel deprived and completely "not badger".
Do not be fooled by the "toy" growth of the dog. Keep it as a toy will not work. Independent, active and independent - the dachshund needs movement most of the day. The dog is definitely not a couch. Measure the strengths, habits, routines and your own character with the temperament and habits of the dog, before you decide to acquire it.
Owners of dachshunds don’t feel their souls in their animals, but if this is not your type, don’t risk it. Pick up the breed - for yourself. The error will cost you nerves, the dog also will not be able to feel comfort if the tandem "master - ward" has not taken shape.
No wonder dachshunds are loved and numerous, settled around the world. They have many positive features:
- Intelligence, quick orientation, event rating,
- Hold on with dignity. If properly educated, they will not ask for anything, will stoically wait, endure hunger,
- Able to analyze the situation
- Are brave. Bear will not be frightened if the owner needs help,
- Fun and playful. Children do not get bored, "badger dog" - the ringer of outdoor games,
- They love the owner, loyal to family members,
- Amenable to training. It is only necessary to be able to “explain” to the animal what is required of it. Grasp on the fly,
- Athletic, muscular. They need strength for overload in the fight against the beast in cramped underground conditions,
- Endurance - this was the purpose of genetic selection,
- Patient, not intrusive. Waiting for portions of attention, not tearing off under their feet,
- Poise is the dachshund's calling card,
- Able to compromise
- They can be guarded, notifying the owners of an attempt to “invade” outsiders and suppress this attempt.
The advantages of the breed are obvious, the dachshund is good for everyone, the minuses, however, are also available:
- Can be cunning, reaching the target. Even if you do not like the goal. The disadvantage of the relative: the cunning of the animal can and touches the owner.
- Dachshunds freeze in winter even in southern latitudes, so they may lack physical activity, not much walking this season,
- Addiction to obesity. If the dog is in the apartment most of the time, there will be a problem with the weight.
- Extended spine does not tolerate extra weight. There are diseases of intervertebral discs. The muscles of the back of the little moving dachshund weaken, they do not fix the spine securely. This is fraught with the formation of vertebral hernia, paralysis of the animal. The owner will have to scrupulously monitor the diet for the sake of the health of the ward.
Apart from the habit of digging, digging and studying everything as a disadvantage, there are almost no cons.
Caring for dachshund
The maintenance of the dachshund and the daily care of it will not be brought to the owner if he knows the breed at least by description. Manipulations are simple:
- Periodical combing - for long-haired dogs. Teach an animal to such care for a fur coat immediately. Then it will not oppose your hairdressing. On the contrary: enjoy it. Dachshunds like to pay attention to them.
- Teeth cleaning. This is not a luxury - a necessity. The formation of plaque harms the teeth, causes the formation of tartar. Dogs suffer from dental diseases no less than humans. Brush your teeth twice a week using toothpaste for dogs. Accustom to the procedure. Plaque can be removed with a wet bandage or gauze by wrapping your fingers around. Once a year, show your favorite veterinary dentist. If necessary, it will remove tartar, fill the teeth. Keep your teeth safe for longer: treat with a cotton swab dipped in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, dachshund's mouth after feeding.
- Like other breeds, the dachshund needs regular prevention from parasites. And if she accidentally contracted them - treatment.
- Dachshund is rarely bathed, especially smooth-haired. Usually it does not pollute, the wool is clean in any season. If you need to bathe, then pick up the shampoo soft, special, "dog." Wipe with a towel without unnecessary zeal, just blot the wool.
- The ears of a healthy dog are self-cleaning. Sulfur production in small quantities: normal physiological process. Wipe the inner surface of the end portion of the ears as needed - you can. Inspect the ears after walking: the dachshund has “ears over the grass”; ticks can use this.
- Wash your eyes once a day with a cotton pad. You can slightly moisten it in a non-irritating cosmetic disinfectant or infusion of herbs: calendula, yarrow, St. John's wort - to choose from.
- Caring for claws - neatly sawing regrown. Use a file or a nail file.
- Before a winter walk in snowy weather or frost, grease the paw pads with any fat. This will save them from irritation with chemical salt - in the winter they sprinkle it with roads and paths.
Eating adult dogs is different from the diet of babies. But it is necessary to teach a dog to a certain type of feeding from a tender age. This is important: it disciplines and shapes the appetite and benefits for health.
How to feed a dachshund puppy
Decide on this before purchasing a puppy. Check with the breeder what puppies eat from him. In the days of adaptation in the new place, feed the same way, even if such a diet was not planned by you. This will facilitate addiction, save the baby from stomach problems. Transfer to a different type of feeding is necessary gradually.
By the time of weaning, the puppies are already eating:
- Cow's milk,
- Chicken egg (raw),
- Cottage cheese,
- Milk porridges from different cereals,
- Meat broths with boiled minced meat and vegetables,
- Raw minced meat
- Liquid and concentrated food.
It is optimal to take a puppy and a half month. What you feed the little dachshund first, you already know. Add to the diet to the listed products - cheese. It is a calcium concentrate, useful for the backbone, and a storehouse of vitamins.
Do not overfeed a small (and large) dachshund. And do not give the dog a sweet. Initially, there is no need for sugar in the animal, it is not worth forming it.
Adult Dog Diet
For feeding adult dachshund is undemanding. The main thing: do not feed your food. Shared housing and the same food - different things. Have you ever met a chicken with diabetes? And in dogs, "human" diseases are frequent. Because the chicken eats what nature intended it: grain, grass, worms. And the owner tries to feed the home favorite with his delicacies. But if you eat a chocolate bar, enjoy it. Give chocolate a dog, she will get - poisoning. Remember the different reactions to products. In man they are alone, in animals they are different.
Dog breeders, it happens, argue: what is more useful, natural “homemade” food or specialized dry food?
If you are not ready to cook daily for the new settler in the house a separate, balanced composition of food, give preference to ready-made food. The same - if the lack of time (work, business) makes it impossible for you to ensure the nutritional value of the dog. Man and himself often lazy balance in the diet to adjust, so the ready-made feed for dachshund can help him out.
Supporters of mixed food, too, are probably right. But the alternation: a month homemade food, the other - the store, can upset the digestion of dachshunds. The digestive system will be forced to constantly rebuild, become vulnerable to ailments.
Prevention of beriberi will be the addition of chopped greens, grated fresh vegetables to the dachshund food.
From natural feed give:
- Meat. If it's quality, let's be raw,
- Fish (boneless),
- Raw egg (rarely, once a week),
- Meat waste (stomach, mesentery).
Raw bones sometimes need to be given, but not tubular.
It is undesirable to give meat to domestic animals: the dog can then take them for food, hunt them.
Good vegetables in the diet, a small amount of potatoes. Legumes due to the ability to cause fermentation - do not give.
From the dry feed, select quality. They are expensive, but it is the health of a little pupil.
History of origin
Dachshund breed has a very ancient history of origin. The first images of the dachshund can be observed even on papyrus from ancient Egypt, which are more than two thousand years old. Egypt is considered to be the historical homeland of the dachshund, and short-hounds dogs became the ancestors of the modern pedigree dog..
Initially, breeding dachshund was based solely on personal preferences and taste preferences of breeders, but already in 1870 this approach to the breed was replaced by breeding dogs according to certain breed standards. On the territory of our country, the breed got only in the mid-thirties of the XVIII century.
Choosing a puppy, caring for him
Visit the breeder in advance, at the monthly age of the puppies. Look at the litter. Choose a puppy for a number of attributes:
- Wool - smooth, shiny,
- Good fatness
- Activity, mobility,
- Contact, goodwill, courage,
- Weight more than a kilogram
- Paws are set, thick,
- Not wide-headed, face rounded.
If you plan to attend an exhibition with a dog, purchase a puppy only in the kennel.
Having brought the puppy home, try to provide him a calm adaptation. Care includes a balanced diet and proper upbringing.
Training and education
It is necessary to educate immediately. It does not mean to be too strict. Calm, sequence of actions, confidence. The kid is smart, he will understand your actions and demands.
- Puppies get used to the collar, leash or harness quickly. When the animal is convinced that it will not be possible to remove this ammunition, it will calm down. Habit necessary: you need to wear the flea collar and walking "uniforms" - too.
- In puppy games kids bite each other. Will try, playing, bite and you. Stop immediately and inexorably. But calm.
- Never shout: the dog hears well. Rude hails will break the psyche of a puppy, why do you need a neurotic? Raise quietly. Does not obey - look for your mistakes.
- The dog is easy to learn and calm actions.
- The ban command "can not" be used very rarely. Only in danger. But tough. And seek fulfillment. Otherwise, the tax will ignore the command, it is unacceptable.
Propensity to disease
Dachshund is a miniature, but healthy dog. This is partly due to its mobility, developed muscles. In general, inherent in dogs, diseases dachshund can also get sick. There are dachshunds and weaknesses regarding health:
- Spinal hernia . Stretched body - the load on the spine. This predisposes to its diseases, herniated discs between the vertebrae. Spinal hernia is not only characterized by pain. The dog can be paralyzed. Dachshunds suffer from vertebral diseases more often than most other breeds. The first sign: stiffness of movements. A dog with this symptom needs to be shown to a veterinarian, not to start the disease.
- Osteoporosis A dog of this breed is prone to osteoporosis more often than others. Osteoporosis dachshund is called the swimmer effect. The disease begins in puppies aged about a month. Kids move paws, try, but can not get up, move. Their limbs are weak. You can correct this: do not overfeed, position the young growth on a non-slip surface. But the disease is inherited, so puppies from the problematic litter are not allowed to breed in the future.
- Black acanthosis. The propensity of the breed to obesity and the carelessness of the owners, giving a sweet pet, can provoke a disease. Initially, acanthosis is manifested in spots, localized on undiscovered parts of the body. The spots are darker in color than the animal. They arise on the abdomen, chest, armpits, then - on the paws. If measures are not taken, the hair falls out, skin folds forming on bald areas sag. From them comes an unpleasant smell. The etiology of the disease is unknown, but it is treated with vitamin A and means, which include tar or sulfur.
- Ear Mite Lingering increases the likelihood of disease. It is difficult not to notice tick infestation: the dachshund shakes its head, tries to scratch its ears. When viewed from the inside visible swelling and formation of a crust. Acaricides - anti-mite drugs - are rid of the parasite. They are buried, lay ointment. Ears are periodically cleaned with special solutions.
- Idiopathic epilepsy dachshunds. State, frightening the owner. The dog is trembling, coordination of movements is disturbed, and in the dachshund vomiting The animal tries to curl up, groans. The attack can last up to half an hour - forty minutes. After him the dog has weakness, thirst. The attack passes independently.
In the Middle Ages, the fight against badgers, foxes, and other burrowing animals, harming farmers and animal owners, began to be fought with dogs. Already in the 16th century, a breed with short strong legs and an elongated body was bred in Germany. The dachshund without fear climbed into the hole, chased foxes and badgers, had a keen scent, was fearless, loyal assistant to the hunt.
Nornaya dog quickly became popular not only in Germany but also in other European countries. Fashion for dachshunds do not pass to this day. The animal is adapted for keeping in city apartments. Dachshund is a friend and caretaker, despite its small size.
How much is a dachshund puppy
Today, representatives of this breed are at the peak of popularity and are quite common. The price range is quite wide. You can buy a puppy cheaply in the market or on an ad - for 2000-5000 rubles. A dog with a pedigree and all vaccines is more expensive - 15000-2000 rubles.
The most expensive are the miniature rabbit dachshunds. This is connected with the fashion for decorative dogs and infertility - usually from 3 to 5 babies in litter. The price of such crumbs varies from 30,000 to 40,000 rubles. If you take a pet for exhibitions from titled parents, the price of a rabbit taksenysha can significantly increase to 50000-60000 rubles.
Dachshund - a small dog with dignity. She will not tolerate a scornful attitude, but if she is loved and cared for, she will become an excellent companion and favorite of the whole family.
The classic version of the hunting breed, characterized by a sense of high self-esteem and characterized by the following breed standards:
- girth in the chest area - no more than 35 cm,
- The maximum weight of an adult animal is not more than nine kilograms.
It is interesting! This is the most common variety, successfully combining excellent external data and unpretentious content.
Miniature or dwarf dachshund
The average size of the dwarf or miniature dachshund is almost half the size of the standards of the classic variety. Rabbit Dachshund is distinguished by high mental abilities, good nature, curiosity and playfulness. In accordance with established FCI standards, a breed of this species has the following weight and height parameters:
- girth in the chest area - no more than 30-35 cm,
- The maximum weight of an adult animal is 4.0-6.0 kg.
It is interesting! The dwarf or miniature variety is most suitable for keeping in small residential premises and communal apartments.
This kind of not very common in domestic breeders and dog breeders. The rabbit dachshund is characterized as a dog with incredible courage and courage. The pet of this breed is very clever and friendly, but is able to be very jealous of other pets and even small children. Породные стандарты разновидности представлены следующими параметрами:
- обхват в грудной области – не более 30-35 см,
- максимальный вес взрослого животного – в пределах 3,5-4,0 кг.
Это интересно! Rabbit dachshund will become a loyal and loyal friend, but to get a raised dog of this breed, you need to practice a puppy almost constantly.
The animal has a rather short and thick coat with a pronounced gloss, which is well attached to the body. Wool is thick and hard. Balusters are missing completely. Smooth-haired dachshunds can be presented in one-color or two-color, as well as marble or tiger color.
An animal of this type has a hard and rather thick coat on all parts of the body, except the muzzle, as well as the eyebrows and the ear area. The coat is tight to the body and is characterized by the presence of a pronounced undercoat.. On the face of wire-haired dachshund there is a kind of "beard". The eyebrows are bushy, and on the ears there is a relatively short and almost smooth coat. The color can be monochromatic, marble, brindle, murugim or wolfish.
Long haired dachshund
A dog of this type has a smoothed, with a pronounced shine wool, which is tight enough to the body. Longer hair is present in the throat area and lower body.. In the parotid space, the wool visibly extends below the bottom edges and forms a fringe. The peculiarity is the presence of turns on the back of the limbs and on the lower part of the tail. The color of the long-haired dachshund can be monochrome, marble and brindle.
The dachshund is a very intelligent and devoted breed, distinguished by playfulness, spontaneity and mobility, therefore the dog needs to ensure daily, sufficiently long walks and systematic normalized loads. The breed is beautiful to the water and swims with pleasure. The special complex of dachshund training should be carried out on the parade areas and stations. If the dog does not need to develop hunting skills, then you can get along with the general course of training.
Conditions of detention
The tax has medium-sized, which allows you to keep such a breed even in small apartments and limited in size residential premises. The shorthaired dachshund needs less care. This dog should be washed only if necessary, and regular grooming is to wipe with a damp towel and then combed with a special brush.
Long-haired dachshund requires more attentive care. This pet needs to be brushed daily with a natural bristled brush. Combing is recommended during the walk. It is necessary to bathe such a dachshund more often than a smooth-haired variety. Be sure to use special shampoos, conditioners, reducing the risk of formation of mats and tangle of wool. The twice-haired dachshund needs trimming twice a year, which consists of carefully removing all old and already dead hair.
Walks should be regular and sufficient for the duration. If the weather is too frosty, the walk time should be reduced. Short-haired dachshund does not tolerate low-temperature regimes, so during winter walks on the animal you need to wear warm overalls and special shoes.
In the diet, a special approach does not require a fee. The main condition for the correct feeding of a dog of this breed is a balanced diet, which helps prevent diseases such as overweight, overloading of the spinal section, hormonal disorders and problems with the cardiovascular system.
Important! remember that it is better to feed the dachshund than to overfeed. It is strictly forbidden to feed the dog, regardless of age, raw pork, chocolate, sugar, pastries, as well as boiled tubular bones. It is forbidden to supplement the food with sausage, sausages, ham, butter and sour cream, smoked meats and any spices.
Feeding an adult dog
Domestic dog at the age of the year should eat twice a day. When calculating the daily rate, you need to focus on the fact that for every kilogram of animal weight should be about 35-45 g of feed. The third part of the daily ration should be meat. It is best to use boiled turkey and chopped lean beef.
Also, a couple of times a week, it is recommended to give a dachshund boiled and boned sea fish. In addition to protein foods in the diet must be present:
- rice, buckwheat and oatmeal,
- boiled and raw vegetables, including carrots, pumpkin and zucchini,
- fruits and chopped greens.
When feeding with natural products weekly supplement the diet with boiled chicken or raw quail eggs. Already ready to use feed can be both dry and wet. It is necessary to select such food, focusing on the age and activity indicators of a pet.
Feeding a dachshund puppy
A dog under the age of three months should be fed every four hours, about four to five times a day. Taxes from three to eight months old can be fed three times a day. Food is given to the puppy just before the walk, due to the physiological characteristics of the dog.
The basis of the diet of puppies under the age of four months should be fresh goat or cow's milk.. For six months, the diet is enriched with buckwheat and oatmeal with the addition of chopped meat, as well as fresh and boiled vegetables. Small dachshund puppies dry food are given in the form previously soaked in water. From the age of five months, you can gradually accustom the animal to not soaked feed. In conditions of completely natural feeding, it is advisable to use the Gelakan-baby additive, applying the half rate, from that indicated on the package. Very good quality dry food super-premium class "Hills" and "Ekanuba." From year to year the dog is transferred to an adult diet.
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed
Along with any other breeds, the dachshund has not only a large number of advantages, but is also not without some pronounced drawbacks.
The main advantages of the dachshund breed are:
- quite small size
- physical activity and playfulness,
- the presence of guarding and hunting qualities
- lack of rabies.
The disadvantages of the dachshund are tendency to diseases associated with the vertebral department and insufficient cold resistance. An improperly bred dog, as a rule, has a wayward and disobedient character, and is often jealous of its owner towards other domestic inhabitants and pets.
A short-legged, with a squat physique and an elongated, but rather compact body of a dachshund, many amateur dog breeders are well known by the name “badger dog”. The breed is very popular in our country due to its fairly rapid learning, and with proper education it is characterized by the absence of unmotivated aggression.
When buying a dachshund puppy, you need to pay attention to the following criteria for choosing the right pet:
- if dog shows at the exhibition are unplanned, then it is recommended to give preference to “pet-class” puppies. Such an animal may have some minor drawbacks prohibiting the use in breeding. The cost of such a puppy is much lower, and on average is 9-12 thousand rubles,
- Puppies of rabbit or miniature “show class” dachshund are intended for breeding for the purpose of presentation at exhibitions. Such an animal is distinguished not only by its excellent exterior, but must also have a certain temperament. Excessively mobile and excitable dogs are difficult to control, so pre-exhibition preparation can take a lot of time, money and effort. Too calm and phlegmatic dog looks in the ring too sluggish. That is why it is best to buy an animal of this class with the help of an experienced dog handler, and in this case the puppy price often exceeds 20-30 thousand rubles.
It is important to remember that even from a very promising puppy you can get a titled dog or pet champion only with full compliance with the regime of maintenance and competent, timely education.
The pet is quite independent, but likes to communicate with the owner, gets along well with other pets, does not require a long, tedious combing of wool (the short-haired breed). The dachshund has a characteristic appearance: there are no varieties of dogs resembling this small pet with an elongated body, long ears, a pointed muzzle and a thin, elastic tail.
Dachshund breed standards:
How does a false pregnancy manifest in small breed dogs and should an animal be treated? Read the helpful information.
Description of the breed of dogs Chihuahua, especially the content and feeding of the pet can be seen in this article.
- very loyal to the owner
- treats strangers wary
- barking loudly at the slightest rustle and suspicious noise,
- sometimes shows some viciousness inherent in hunting dogs. For this reason, it is not necessary to start a burrow dog in a family where there are kids. Dachshund will not tolerate trying to pull the tail, ears, or raise a pet, can bite the offender, but with a big love of the owners the dog becomes very affectionate.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of breed dachshund:
- cute, inquisitive animal,
- smart dog, high intelligence,
- protects the house and the owner in any situation, despite the size of the enemy,
- clean, almost no peculiar smell,
- hygienic procedures are simpler than keeping small-haired long-haired dogs,
- pronounced character and personality,
- the perfect friend for a family with older children
- loves walks, socializing, playing with households,
- gets along with other pets
- content in the house and city apartment is less troublesome than some other breeds: pug, long-haired Maltese, Pekingese, French Bulldog.
Disadvantages of breed dachshund:
- not suitable for families with small children
- the dog is intelligent, but does not always fulfill the owner’s commands, the level of training is 3 points out of 5,
- jealous, quite capricious, often stubborn dog,
- when living in a private house likes to dig holes in the garden,
- creates a lot of noise in the home, at the slightest rustle outside the door barks loudly,
- males hyperactivity in sexual terms,
- often spinal diseases occur,
- with a lack of walking and active games, the development of obesity is possible.
How to teach a tray
Dog breeders advise to put a pet in a toilet bowl with a moisture-absorbing diaper, on which there are traces of urine. After feeding, the puppy is planted on a diaper so that the animal goes to the toilet in a certain place. We'll have to keep track of the little dachshund, repeat the ritual 5–6 times a day, until the pet gets used to going to the tray. It is important to encourage the pet for each successful urination and defecation in the proper place.
If the dog made a puddle or a handful in the middle of the room, you need to scold the animal in a strict tone, but do not shout, show where you need to go to the toilet. Be sure to immediately sanitize the floor, wash off traces, eliminate odor.
Feeding puppies and adult dogs
The ration is a dry food category "holistic" or super premium + water or natural food with the addition of vitamins, fish oil, mineral components, treats.
In veterinary pharmacies there is a rich selection of food, designed specifically for the breed dachshund. Dog breeders should be aware of the tendency of the dachshund to gaining extra weight on the background of low motor activity. The combination of rare walks with an excess calorie diet provokes the development of obesity, which increases the risk of diseases of the spine, joints, liver, and digestive organs. You can not give during the day natural food and any kind of dry food: disturbed balance of nutrients.
- lean meat,
- a fish,
- vegetables that do not cause bloating,
- vegetable oil,
- dairy products (adult dogs), milk (puppies up to 3-4 months),
- boiled eggs.
- vegetables that provoke flatulence,
- exotic fruits, citruses,
- garlic and onions,
- smoked meats
- sausages and sausage,
- thin tubular bones,
- rabbit, chicken,
- sauces and ketchups,
- soup and borsch,
- fatty fish and meat.
Special feed. For dachshunds manufacturers offer names with a low content of fats and carbohydrates. On the packaging there is a mark for which breed is dry or wet food. Dietary nutrition improves metabolism, reduces the risk of obesity, strengthens the joints.
In urban apartments often keep short-haired dachshunds. Daily procedures should be carried out as carefully as when keeping a house of a miniature poodle, a Pekingese, or a Maltese dog.
When caring for a dog, you need to properly keep a pet: at the same time behind the front and back of the long body, so as not to provoke problems with the spine. It is advisable to arrange a podium or mini-ramp near the sofa / bed so that the dog can easily climb up without the risk of falling, damage the cartilage and vertebrae.
- Teeth care. Conducted with the accumulation of food debris. It is necessary to inspect the teeth every week in order to reveal the formation of a solid deposit in time. For adult pets, it is advisable to buy a special toothpaste and brush, to regularly clean the teeth. Proper diet, the lack of thin bones in the menu are important elements of the maintenance of teeth in dachshunds.
- Ears care. It is important to inspect long ears two times a month, to clean the ear canal with a cotton swab. Moisten cotton wool with hydrogen peroxide or liquid paraffin.
- Eye care. The corners of the eyes are wiped with a clean soft cloth moistened with boiled water. If the secret accumulates, wet the tissue with a decoction of green tea and gently rinse the eyelids.
- Care of the coat. Procedures depend on the type of dachshund. Shorthair dachshunds are massaged daily with a soft rubber brush, long-haired dogs should be carefully combed so that mats do not appear. Brutal varieties need trimming.
Bathing and combing
Short-haired pets can be periodically cleaned with a damp towel to remove dust particles. Bathing is carried out if the pet is very dirty. It is important to use zoo shampoo, be sure to dilute the product before processing the pet.
Long-haired dachshunds comb comb, mats are rarely formed. It is often not necessary to bathe a dachshund with long hair: the skin loses a protective layer of grease from the sebaceous glands. The shampoo should contain oils, Volume-adding compositions are not suitable: wool puffs up.
For long-haired dachshund, regular trimming is required: removal of old wool for active growth of a soft undercoat. Trimming not only the body, but also paws.
Even with frequent walks, claws are poorly worn; the owner must regularly shorten the stratum corneum on his own or take the pet to the veterinary clinic for the procedure. The claws are trimmed carefully so as not to damage the blood vessels. The frequency of the procedure is 1 time in 2 months.
The animal is prone to obesity, it is desirable to bring the dog out for a walk every day. Dachshunds love toys (balls, bones, hedgehogs made of rubber), exploration of the terrain. It is important to keep the animal on a leash: the dachshund is a born hunter, instinct may occur. The dog can chase after prey, accidentally jump out onto the road, fall under the car.
During one walk the dog must pass at least a kilometer to spend calories. In bad weather, many dachshunds do not want to go out. Be sure to teach your pet to the tray for such situations. If possible, you need to take out the animal to nature, allowed to hunt mice and wild rabbits, allow to dig holes, swim in the pond.
Vaccinations and treatment for worms
Dachshunds often suffer from digestive problems and abdominal bloating. It is imperative to carry out degelmentization with special anthelmintic drugs every 3 months so that intoxication against the background of reproduction of parasitic worms is not added to the digestion violation. Vaccination of puppies and adult pets is carried out strictly according to the scheme indicated by the veterinarian.
The procedure is carried out rarely, only as prescribed by a veterinarian or at the request of the owner. The standard does not provide for mandatory tail arrest.
Exhibition training is conducted for long-haired dachshunds.
Required care items:
- washing the dog
- applying a special wool balm,
- the formation of the "frame" of the desired shape of wool.
It is important to trim the areas at the base of the tail and around the anus.
For short-haired and wire-haired dogs, it is advisable to buy overalls for cool weather and frost. This is not only fashionable, but also beneficial to the health of the pet: dogs often have back problems, including against the background of hypothermia.