Even though quails that are grown on the backyard plots, are the smallest variety of poultry, the poultry farmer will have to create comfortable living conditions for them to live. You can build cages for quails from different materials, and the task is not only for professionals, but also for house craftsmen armed with a minimum set of tools.
Quail cage types and requirements
Before starting work, it is important to know that for different age categories separate housing is necessary, and in separate cells they contain:
- chicks aged 1 to 10 days,
- young up to one and a half month old
- adult livestock,
- laying hens,
- quail meat destination
- parent groups.
A do-it-yourself brooder for quails differs from other cages with serious protection from cold and draft, necessarily a lighting and heating system for small, poorly tolerated cooling and overheating chicks. All walls, except the front, home craftsmen prefer to make of plywood, fiberboard or particleboard. The floor and ceiling of this design is made of a fine mesh, through which trash and bird droppings easily penetrate, while the quails themselves confidently move and do not risk hurting their feet.
For this age, a self-built quail broder is completed with a feeding trough and a trough. This equipment, as well as a heater and lamps are mounted inside the cage.
Telling about making blueprints of a brooder for quails, video will not prevent even those who for the first time in their lives decided to breed such an interesting bird as quail.
The older the bird, the larger the mesh can be. Grown up young animals are better adapted to environmental conditions. It does not need a closed space, and besides, it is much easier to clean open quail mesh cages.
For adult birds at home they build cages from a variety of available materials. Not only plywood or particleboard is used, but also metallized mesh, metal and even plastic. Hens are housed in special-designed houses with a sloping bottom. Outside the chute is attached, where the eggs are laid.
In order to better feed individuals in the meat industry, cages for quails are reticulated and rather low in order to artificially restrict bird movements. This technique allows not only to quickly achieve the desired weight, but also to delay the onset of puberty. Therefore, the meat of such quails is more tender and juicier than those grown in ordinary cells.
Before you make a cage for quails with your own hands, carefully weigh the safety of the future structure, the possibility of its sanitization and cleaning, as well as the size of the house to the number of birds placed in it.
Calculations of the sizes of future cages for landing quails can be made on the basis of the given norms for a population of 10, 30 and 50 birds.
Drawings cages for quails in the manufacture of their own hands
The most popular and convenient design of the cage for quails is a wooden or metal frame, sheathed with a net on the outside and on the floor, and with the rest, at the request of the owner with materials available to him.
A drawing of a self-made cage for quails, in the photo, includes:
- 1 - frame,
- 2 - drinker,
- 3 - the door
- 4 - feeder
- 5 - chute for rolling eggs,
- 6 - cell floor,
- 7 - tray for collecting litter and litter.
Reliable functional design will take more than one generation of layers can be installed on the floor, it is important to provide legs with a height of 15-30 cm, or be used as a tier "multi-storey" design. This way of placing the cages is very helpful for poultry farmers who do not have enough space to install free-standing bird houses.
The quail cages assembled in a multi-tiered structure must be securely fastened to each other and to the vertical surface of the wall next to which they are located.
If you want to save and simplify the manufacturing process, the master can abandon the frame. In this case, the drawing of the cage for quails on the photo will help to cope with the task; even a beginner poultry breeder will make such a design with his own hands. As a material for the side walls and the pallet, you can take a thin metal, strong plywood or sheets of hardboard.
To prevent the egg rolling down from the sloping floor, a chute up to 10 cm wide with a stopper is provided outside. The bottom is made of fine metal mesh suitable for fast and efficient cell cleaning.
Cage for quail do-it-yourself: step by step instructions
Self-made designs are simple, affordable and do not require special knowledge in the manufacture. It is only important to take into account:
- the number of farmed quails,
- the need to install heating and lighting systems for chicks,
- trays for laid eggs
- the possibility of cleaning the cells for quail.
If the master chose wood, plywood and metal mesh as the raw materials, it will be useful in his work:
- metal shears
- stapler with staples for fixing the mesh,
- self-tapping screws for assembly of a framework.
If you assemble a cage for quails with your own hands, according to the step-by-step instructions in the first stage, cut out blanks for the rear wall, two parts for the sidewalls and the top of the box. The dimensions of the future design are calculated according to the table above.
The frame, cut from wooden bars, is fastened with screws. To use the cage for quail was safe and long, it is better to clean the wood with emery paper and soak it in an antiseptic, safe for poultry.
To proceed further, when the impregnation is completely dry. From the material with a large cell, allowing quails to freely use a fixed feeder and drinker, a billet is made for the front wall.
The future floor of the bird's house is cut out from the grid with a small cell. The tray for collecting eggs is a continuation of the sloping floor with a curved edge that does not allow the eggs to roll. This should be taken into account when preparing cage drawings for quails.
The grid to the wooden parts of the structure is conveniently fixed with the help of large furniture brackets. Below, under the sloping floor make a removable tray for collecting litter and litter.
Cage for quails from plastic boxes
An economical and very simple version of the cage for quails based on the use of vegetable packaging boxes made of lattice plastic.
This material is not only easy to handle and durable, it is perfectly cleaned and washed, which is extremely important when keeping poultry.
Before proceeding to the step-by-step instructions for building a cage for quails with your own hands, you need to prepare everything you need for your work. The master will need:
- three boxes of equal size,
- flexible durable wire
- file for work on plastic and metal,
- sharp knife.
The box, which will be in the center of the structure and is intended for keeping quails, should be about 30 cm high, the rest of the box may be lower. One of them will serve as a pallet, the second - the ceiling and covers:
- At the first stage, all the protruding parts along the top edge of the main box are cut off.
- Then he is using the available slots and legs fit in with the bottom drawer.
- The design is crowned by a second low box.
- The resulting construction is fastened with wire, and if it is not, other available materials are used: solid wire, double-sided or strong mounting tape.
- On the cover of the resulting cage for quails mark the future door, convenient for cleaning and removing or sharing the bird.
- The hatch is cut on three sides, and the fourth one is bent outwards. For ease of use, a wire hinge-lock is attached to the improvised door.
- On the outer wall make several slots for feeding quail in a cage.
- A flute feeder is attached just below, and a water trough is mounted nearby.
The construction of a cage for quails on the video in full detail reveals all the tricks of the process and will help you in a few hours to get the necessary housing for the birds.
Selection of equipment for homemade quail cage for 10-20 and 30 heads
The most accessible material for making cages is wood, but the product will have some drawbacks associated with the need to clean and disinfect the bird housing.
Therefore, wooden structures must undergo preliminary training: impregnation with solutions that prevent the development of bacteria and water-based varnish.
The tree has high sound-absorbing properties, so the quail population, isolated from the rest of the house population, feels more comfortable. Shy birds can stop rushing from harsh sounds and from undue attention from other members of the household.
Wooden cages for quails equipped with a mesh floor, under which there is a tray for collecting litter. A slope of 8 degrees will be sufficient to roll the eggs into the receiver.
For 20-30 heads of quail you will need the following materials:
- Bars 20 * 40 for the manufacture of the frame,
- Metal corners for fixing bars,
- Galvanized screws,
- Plywood, OSB or wall paneling,
- For a simplified version of the wooden cage used mesh netting,
- Grid with a cell of 12 * 25 mm for a floor,
- 0.8 mm galvanized iron sheet for pallet,
- Furniture hinges.
Fig.1 Wood cage frame
The depth of the cage to 30 heads will be 40 cm, and the width of 90-100 cm.
For those who do not want to engage in the manufacture of wooden structures, we can offer a cage option from ordinary plastic boxes that are used to transport fruits, vegetables and other products.
It is required to prepare three plastic boxes of the same size, assembly plastic ties or knitting wire, metal shears. And in the next section, prepared instructions for the manufacture of cells, which will help you quickly and at no cost to prepare housing for quail.
Making cages for quail - step-by-step instruction
Wooden cage assembly:
- We make the frame as in Figure 1, here we have 3 compartments, each of which can accommodate 20-30 quails,
- Top and side walls sew up the selected material. On the front part you can use a chain-link with a cage sufficient for the birds to stick their heads to the feeder,
- If the sides are made of solid material, take care of making holes with a diameter of 30 mm to allow light to enter the cage. Enough 9-10 holes,
- Pre-process all parts with antiseptic and varnish water-based,
- Scissors for metal cut a rectangular piece from the grid for the manufacture of the floor and fasten it around the perimeter of wooden or metal slats. The front of the floor partially extends beyond the cage into the egg receiver,
- Bend the edges of the galvanized metal sheet, form the litter tray and place it under the floor along the guides,
- The prepared doors, wired with a net, are fastened to the structure with furniture hinges.
Making cages for quails can be simplified if you need to contain 10 birds. To do this, we will use practical advice and use plastic boxes.
Construction assembly steps:
- We align the boxes on the plane, cutting off the extra corners and protrusions on the upper part,
- A lower box is installed with a lower height, it will become a cage tray,
- Upstairs also comes a low box that will serve as a lid,
- We fasten the construction with plastic assembly ties or knitting wire,
- Cut out the cells on the sides of a large box for birds to access the trough and watering system,
- Cut one side of the bottom drawer to install the pallet.
If you keep the birds in a separate room, then take care of the "bathing" of quail in the sand. Thus, birds get rid of parasites that can infest in feathers and cause quail anxiety.
Birds do not like stale air. Ventilation, but without creating drafts, allows not only to preserve the health of quails, but also to avoid the appearance of an unpleasant smell. Quails are very sensitive to changing conditions and with sudden changes in temperature, egg production can decrease.
VIDEO GRID CELL INSTRUCTION
Make soft lighting, use LED lamps with a warm stream of light, which is very popular with quails in a confined space.
Basic requirements for quail cages
Deciding to have quails, it is advisable to worry in advance about the presence of durable and comfortable cages to ensure the necessary conditions for the life of the birds. Designs can be purchased in specialized stores, but for lovers of reasonable savings the best option would be to create them yourself. This will not only save money, but also maximize space optimization.
Certain requirements are imposed on the conditions of detention and cages for quails.
- Lack of moisture in the room, compliance with a certain temperature in it within 18-20 degrees. This significantly reduces the number of diseases of birds, leading to death.
- When settling quails in cages, it is important to respect their number. So, a dozen birds selected for breeding will need a 15-17 dm² cage. And for obtaining food eggs and meat, the density of planting should not exceed 10–12 dm².
- The size of the grid cells should be selected depending on the age group of birds. Too large is not suitable for the young, the chicks will easily make their way through it.
When creating a cage, it should be remembered that quails are very shy and do not tolerate a large number of external stimuli. Protect them from exposure to drafts, loud noise and excessive illumination. Regardless of the type of construction chosen, the cage should be as closed as possible and made of durable material.
Materials from which you can make a cell with your own hands
The most acceptable options for creating the back and side walls - boards, zinc, plastic and plywood. And the front of the cage is traditionally made of medium-sized mesh or rods, located at a short distance from each other. Front mounted feeder.
The front of the cage is made from the grille, leaving a hole for feeding the birds.
As the experience of most bird owners shows, cages completely made of mesh material are absolutely unsuitable for their maintenance. In such constructions, quails behave restlessly, because of constant stress, they practically do not rush, they do not gain weight well, they crush each other.
Parts of cells are made of different materials:
- Cell cages can be made of metal profile or wood, which provides the desired rigidity of the product. However, there are models and frameless structures made from one-piece mesh fabric,
- The material most suitable for the manufacture of pallets and feeders is galvanized steel. It eliminates the appearance of oxidation and allows you to provide high-quality cleaning litter,
- in the manufacture of cells from plywood and natural wood, it is desirable to take care of their impregnation with special antiseptics or water-based varnish. They provide additional reliability and prevent mold and small parasites.
Recommended designs for birds of different ages
In the manufacture of cells for quail is very important to take into account the age of the birds and the ultimate goal of the content. There are several main types of structures:
- brooders: for little chicks from birth to 10 days,
- cages for young animals up to 45 days old
- structures that contain adult birds,
- food egg cells,
- separate premises for the parent flock,
- special cages for fattening for meat.
Professional breeders are immediately hatching newly hatched chicks into specially equipped brooders. They allow you to maintain the required temperature for the harmonious and proper development of the young. In addition, such structures need to be additionally equipped with a 24-hour lighting system, without which the full growth of chicks is impossible. These cells should be of a closed type with a mesh size of 10x10 mm. Feeder and drinker placed inside the box. It is desirable that in such conditions quail lasted for 2-3 weeks from the moment of birth.
Sizes and patterns of cages depending on the number of birds
The main task of the poultry farmer who breeds quails in order to obtain meat is to create conditions under which the birds will be inactive. To do this, in the manufacture of cells reduce the parameters of its height. Such constructions are traditionally made of a grid with a cell of 32x48 mm, which provides a sufficient level of illumination that affects the growth of the bird.
Is it necessary to contain quails in cages
Перепёлка — это дикая птица небольшого размера из рода фазановых, относящаяся к отряду курообразных. В дикой природе существует около десятка видов этой птицы, но из-за некогда высокого спроса на мясо некоторые из них полностью истреблены.
For breeding at home, the most popular type is quail, which has been bred for over 100 years. Despite the long term, the birds remain semi-wild and poorly tamed.
Therefore, keeping quails in cages with the maintenance of special conditions is the most productive way to achieve good egg production and high quality meat.
For breeding quails in the home are used frame and frameless cells
Practically no one is engaged in keeping quails in free enclosures - this is not rational, especially in terms of costs for free space. A room where you can place several dozens of cages for hundreds of heads will be fully occupied by an aviary for the birds, which will contain relatively the same livestock.
Cell placement guidelines
It is recommended that cages for keeping livestock quails, as well as some animal species, be located in a specially equipped utility room. If we are talking about a small suburban area or cottage, then the optimal choice would be a detached capital building. It is highly undesirable content in old barns or buildings attached to the house.
Quail cells should be placed only in a warm and well-ventilated area.
The selected room must meet the following requirements:
- temperature regime - a well heated room without drafts with air temperature within 18–23 o C. Forced and exhaust ventilation should be provided. Air flow in the summer - 5 m 3 / h, in the winter - no more than 1.5 m 3 / h,
- air humidity - inside the utility room should be dry with natural air humidity in the range of 60–75%. It is extremely undesirable to use buildings that are too close to artificial or natural reservoirs,
- lighting devices - artificial lighting should be provided in the room. Optimal if it will be devices with automatic adjustment. The flow of light must be well dispersed. Do not use too powerful glare,
- the duration of daylight hours is the minimum duration of a short daylight time of at least 14–15 hours. The optimum mode is a day for 18 hours. An intermittent day is allowed when there is a two-hour break after waking and a resumption of the cycle, which is especially important for regions with long winters,
- The general noise level - quails intended for carrying eggs, should not be kept in buildings located close to the roadway, the airfield, the busy place, etc. It is best if the house is located at least 100 m from such places.
Quails, unlike the same chickens, do not tolerate external stimuli. Under improper conditions of housing, it is possible to partially or completely stop egg production. In addition, stimuli such as bright blinding light and draft can cause loss of plumage, and in some cases lead to the occurrence of diseases.
Depending on the design, quail cages can be divided into the following types:
- single-tier - lightweight frameless structures of rectangular shape, raised to the ground by 60–70 cm. Specific cage dimensions depend on the requirements and number of livestock. Compared with other structures, single-level cells are ideal when the total number of quails does not exceed several dozen (2. As in the previous case, a slight modernization of the cage is possible due to its frame structure.
The easiest way to acquire the required number of cells is to purchase ready-made factory structures in specialized stores. But this method is not suitable for all breeders, especially if a person is just beginning to engage in the maintenance of quails.
Making your own hand-made cells from materials that can be bought in hardware stores is the most rational solution, allowing you to assemble cells according to individual parameters without serious financial expenses.
According to their functional purpose, cages for quails are divided into such constructions as:
- broilers for chickens - designed for keeping and raising chicks up to the age of 15–20 days. They are rectangular plywood or plank constructions equipped with heating and lighting devices. The rear and side walls are completely blind, and the ceiling and doors are made of fine-meshed mesh or plywood (
To determine the universal cage size for quails, you can use the table below. It indicates the size of the cells based on the number of heads of the bird. The standard height of the cell tier varies from 25–30 cm depending on their number and free space.
Allowed to adjust the proportions of the cell with the preservation of its volume. It should be borne in mind that the healthy development of one bird requires at least 1.5 dm 3 of the volume of the whole structure. For example, consider some cell diagrams that you can easily find on the Internet.