Pregnancy of a cat is a physiological state from the moment of fertilization until the birth of kittens, in another it is called fruiting. This important moment in the life of each female is characterized by increased activity of all systems and the organism as a whole.
Stages of pregnancy
In obstetric practice, there are three stages of pregnancy, which include:
- egg period,
- embryonic or embryonic,
- fetal or fetal.
Each of these periods has its own metamorphosis:
- some can be seen with the naked eye on the changing behavior and appearance of the animal,
- To determine others, special research methods are used, for example, ultrasound.
You should know it! In practice, such a survey is not often used, only if there are indications.
If you distribute the cat's pregnancy weekly, the following picture emerges:
- The first week is characterized by crushing zygotes (fertilized egg) and the formation of morula - a compact mass of blastomeres, enclosed in a transparent shell.
- In the second week, the morula descend into the uterine cavity. The division continues, resulting in the formation of blastocysts, which are distributed along the horns of the uterus.
- The third week is accompanied by the “hatching” of blastocytes and the transition of pregnancy to the embryonic stage.
- The fourth and fifth week - laying the fetal membranes, the formation and differentiation of tissues of future babies and the formation of the placenta.
- The sixth, seventh, eighth week is the final fetal stage, characterized by the further development of the fruits, the growth of their mass and the formation of internal organs.
- At the end of the ninth week, childbirth occurs.
Based on the above scheme, you can easily calculate how long the pregnancy lasts in cats. On average, fruiting is 59 days. Duration largely depends on the breed, the age of the future mother, her individual characteristics and the degree of multiple pregnancy, the period can vary from 55 to 62 days.
How to understand that a cat is pregnant?
To determine the first signs of pregnancy in a cat after mating is problematic, since they do not visually manifest themselves. It is believed that if a month after the next sexual hunt and coitus, the animal did not go on a spree again, then, most likely, it became pregnant.
Obvious symptoms of pregnancy in a cat can be seen no earlier than three weeks after fertilization. Pay attention to
- swollen nipples
- decrease in motor activity
- drowsiness and laziness,
- decrease, and then increase in appetite,
- change in taste preferences
- swings in the mood: the animal suddenly becomes aggressive, then fawns for no apparent reason,
- in very rare cases, vomiting may occur in the early stages.
In the sixth week, the abdomen is noticeably enlarged, and by the end of the seventh week, movement of the fruit can be detected - placing the hands on the abdominal walls is determined.
Around the same time, the expectant mother begins to look for a “nest” for future kittens, she becomes restless, nervous. The longer the gestation period, the more clumsy the animal becomes. By the end of the eighth beginning of the ninth week, the breast packs are poured, and the animal is increasingly lying.
It is interesting! It has been observed that cats can determine early pregnancy in other animals or humans. The pet often purrs, lies on the stomach and as it protects the future mother.
How to determine pregnancy in cats? There are several diagnostic methods for this:
With its help reveal:
- an increase in the size of the abdomen and a change in its shape
- breast enlargement
- behavior change - the animal is calm and sedentary.
Usually, the characteristic visual signs of pregnancy in a cat become visible from 35-40 days from its beginning.
Palpation of the abdominal wall
Before you begin to feel, the animal is put on its paws and is given an opportunity to calm down. The palms are applied to the stomach on both sides closer to the spine and gently palpate under the lumbar vertebrae and just below.
With proper sensitivity and experience, you can grope uterine horns in the form of seals with walnut or more. At the end of the gestation period, cats can feel the fruits.
Important! In the absence of skills and skill, you should not carry out palpation yourself. Improper actions, excessive pressure or compression will lead to the death of babies and premature birth or abortion.
Special research methods
X-ray - this method is not the most useful for the cat itself and future kittens, so it is undesirable to resort to it. See the clear contours of the fruit on the X-ray can be from the 45th day of pregnancy.
Ultrasound - with its help you can not only see the future offspring, count the number of babies, but also hear the heartbeat. The method is most often used if there is a need to determine the pregnancy of a cat in the early stages.
Pregnancy, although it is a physiological state, as its development increases and the load on the body, the heart, kidneys, lungs, liver, intestines are under the blow, the pressure on the abdominal walls increases.
A healthy animal tolerates all transformations well, but under certain negative conditions, physiology can develop into pathology, which threatens not only the life of the fetus, but also complicates the course of the pregnancy itself and subsequent birth.
Pregnant cats can occur:
- uterine inguinal hernia - protrusion of the uterus with the fruit through the inguinal canal,
- bleeding - blood flowing from the uterus can cause a detachment of the placenta,
- polyhydramnios - accumulation of fluid in the amniotic membranes, most often diagnosed in the last weeks of pregnancy,
- uterus twisting - occurs when an unsuccessful fall, bumps on the stomach, jumping from a height, etc.
- abortion - the death of the fruit, followed by their expulsion from the uterus.
Important! Any deterioration in the condition of a pregnant female requires immediate intervention by a specialist.
An urgent appeal to a veterinary clinic is necessary if at least one of the following symptoms is found in a dog:
- the presence of protrusion between the last and the penultimate pair of nipples, which was not there before,
- discharge from the genital slit of blood or clots,
- the animal is worried: getting up, going to bed, getting up again,
- weakness, apathy, poor appetite,
- the stomach at the end of pregnancy suddenly grows rapidly, becomes barrel-shaped, the sexual loop is red and swollen,
- the peritoneum is strained, the back is arched, it is difficult for the cat to stand, it is difficult to fit,
- miscarriage occurred.
In very rare cases, there is a “double” pregnancy, when an animal after fertilization comes back into the hunt and fertilization takes place. The outcome depends on many factors: in one case, the later offspring dies during the birth of the earlier offspring, in others - in a few weeks after the first birth, the second will come, and all the kittens will be healthy.
These tips will help owners keep healthy pregnant cats and future kittens:
- you should not constantly feel the stomach, trying to feel the movement of kittens and count their number,
- in case of any suspicion of deterioration of the female’s condition or possible pathology of pregnancy, contact the veterinarian,
- a month you can undergo ultrasound or echography to make sure the health of future babies,
- it is impossible to independently treat a pregnant cat or give it antihelminthic, acaricidal, antihistamine, hormonal drugs without the permission of a specialist,
- during childbirth be around, in case you need to provide all possible assistance or to call a specialist.
Feeding the future mom-cat should be complete and quality. For the period of pregnancy it is better to buy specially intended for this feed.
With a natural diet, vitamins and minerals are included in the diet so that the kittens can fully develop and receive the necessary building material in abundance.
- In the first weeks the animal is fed twice a day, the portion is normal.
- Starting from 3 weeks, the dose is increased, and the cat is transferred to three meals a day.
- As the kittens grow inside the belly, the mommy's appetite increases. Due to the growing pressure on the internal organs, including the stomach, the cat is not able to manage a lot of food at a time, so the feeding frequency is increased up to five times, slightly reducing the single dose.
True or false pregnancy
In life practice, there are cases of false pregnancy in cats. The phenomenon is observed during sterile sexual intercourse, that is, coitus was, and fertilization did not occur.
To distinguish the symptoms of false pregnancy from the truth is problematic, since the appearance and behavior of the animal in both forms are very similar:
- the female becomes cautious
- milk packs increase,
- the stomach also changes its configuration.
Moreover, after the expiration of pregnancy, the cats show signs of the onset of labor: it also worries and prepares the nest, and after the “childbirth” milk appears.
Usually within a week all the symptoms disappear, and after another 14-21 days the production of milk stops.
Pregnancy is a crucial moment in the life of the animal, so it is necessary to try to foresee and avoid all possible problems so that the kittens are born strong and viable, and the mother remains healthy.
The author of the article: Marina Chuprina,
In most cases, the owner learns that the cat is ready for pregnancy when she turns seven to nine months. The exact timing of the first heat depends on many factors, such as heredity, living conditions, and individual characteristics. For example, in a large animal, puberty is likely to occur no earlier than a year and a half. The breed does not matter, so the British cat can become pregnant at the same time as other representatives of the cat.
At the same time, she willingly rubs against various objects, and in some cases even marks territory. Despite the maturation of the nursery, most experts advise mating not earlier than a year. Early pregnancy often results in a difficult bearing of the fetus, followed by a fatal delivery.
On the question of how long the pregnancy lasts in cats, the answer is an average of nine weeks. But due to the influence of some factors, the period may vary by a week in a greater or lesser direction. With significant deviations we are talking about pathologies of gestation.which are eliminated only in the veterinary office.
Beginning of pregnancy
The sexual characteristics of cats is that they can only be mated during estrus. At home, these periods are observed once in 15 - 25 days and they last about a week. The presence of pregnancy can be found within three weeks after mating. But it should be noted that it does not always end fruitfully.
At the beginning of pregnancy, fertilized eggs in an amount of 3 to 7 pieces are advanced into the uterus, where they are attached to its wall. After a certain time, in the first week, the placenta is created, which serves as a conductor of oxygen and nutrients between the fetus and the mother.
At this time, the female becomes slightly less active and more thoughtful. She eats less and sleeps more than usual.
On the third and fourth week of pregnancy, the cat begins to show its interesting position with the following features:
- Changes in behavioral instincts. The animal requires increased attention and caress, freezes for a long time in one position, or vice versa rushing around the room. Some cats become overly aggressive and perceive any gesture as a threat.
- Physiological changes. In rare cases, in the third week of pregnancy, cats experience vomiting after a morning meal. But usually this feature goes unnoticed, as it passes quickly.
- Other signs. From week to week the cat will gain weight due to the increasing in size of the abdomen. But at the initial stage, the most obvious symptom of pregnancy is swelling of the nipples, which become pinkish.
Starting from the third week, the presence of kittens is diagnosed by a veterinarian upon examination with palpation of the abdominal cavity. But already on the fourth - the fifth, the growing fruits are easily sensed even with a slight pressure. Without unnecessary need, it is better not to perform such manipulations, as careless movements can cause placenta injuries and even miscarriage.
In the fifth week of pregnancy, the fruits increase to six centimeters, they show the characteristic signs of a feline.
But due to the fact that the uterus is filled with fluid, it is already impossible to grope them. The behavior of the cat changes again. She begins to absorb food in larger portions.
From the sixth week of pregnancy, the changes are clearly visible due to the rounded abdomen, which takes a pear shape. But when carrying two or three kittens, this feature may not appear until the very term of childbirth.
Late term of pregnancy
By the seventh week of pregnancy enters the final stage. During this period, the fruits are formed finally, they have a full-fledged wool and other species characteristics. They actively move, sometimes becoming a cause of concern to the mother.
Approximation of labor can be recognized by the following symptoms:
- the cat becomes less appetizing and inactive,
- its mammary glands increase even more, colostrum is released from them,
- whitish discharge may appear from the uterus.
It manifests itself and the nesting instinct, through which the female walks through the nooks, looking for a place for delivery.
If it is estimated that the last week of pregnancy has arrived, the cat becomes most restless, and its temperature drops to 37 degrees, we can safely say that in three or four days it will be relieved by the burden.
At this time it will not be superfluous to conduct an abdominal ultrasound scan to determine the number and size of kittens, as well as possible pathologies. This is especially important during the first birth.
Recommendations for the care of a pregnant cat
Tracing the development of the fetus in a pregnant cat for weeks, it must be remembered that it does not need special care. But for a more comfortable process, it is still necessary to adhere to certain rules:
- In order for the cat not to be exposed to temperature changes, not to be injured and not in contact with sick animals, its pregnancy should, if possible, take place at home.
- If there are other animals in the house, including cats, the pregnant woman should be resettled before delivery.
- To prevent cross-pairing, sexual contact between the pregnant woman and the cat should not be allowed.
- For security reasons, it is better for mothers and babies not to allow her to climb high objects from where you can fall.
- All regular veterinary procedures (vaccinations, cleansing of worms) should be postponed until the postpartum period, when the cat is strong enough.
- Do not use chemically active substances near the expectant mother.
- Observe the condition of the pregnant woman and with a sharp deterioration of health, resort to the help of a veterinarian.
- In order to keep the cat clean during the last weeks of pregnancy, it must be washed with warm water, especially carefully lingering on the tummy and nipples.
Feeding a pregnant cat
The nutrition of the cat carrying the kittens should be adjusted in accordance with the recommendations of veterinarians. If she had previously fed exclusively on special cat food, it must be transferred to a canned food for pregnant women same brand. It contains all the beneficial substances for future mothers, so it is not necessary to give vitamin supplements separately.
But if the cat has symptoms of avitaminosis - a sharp deterioration in appetite, tearing, hair loss, you should consult with a veterinarian for the introduction of special vitamin-mineral complexes in the diet. The same applies to cats that eat human food.
Often, experts prescribe a course of folic acid, which reduces the risk of developing fetal abnormalities.
In the last weeks of pregnancy, the size of servings must be increased by half from the original. But you should not overfeed, as obesity is fraught with complications during delivery.
If you follow all the recommendations, the carrying of kittens goes without complications and ends with a successful birth. But if the pregnancy of the cat was delayed for more than a week, the visit to the vet should not be postponed. Connivance in this important matter is fraught with complications and the development of pathological conditions.
Diagnosing, signs of pregnancy cats
Early symptoms, which are not noted in all cats, include:
- increased sleepiness - sleep becomes longer by 2-4 hours (at a rate of 14 hours a day),
- poor appetite - the cat eagerly drinks, including broth and milk, but ignores solid food,
- discoloration of the mammary glands - they become red / coral, swollen and hot. Признак обычно характерен для первой беременности и зачастую заметен только на нижних сосках,
- тошнота (редко рвота) – позывы случаются утром, в норме – трижды в сутки,
- безразличие к другим домашним питомцам, но раздражительность по отношению к котам.
On a two-week period, the pregnancy is established by a veterinarian or an ultrasound, and by the third week the owner is able to feel the kittens when the cat's stomach is sensitively felt: at that time they are already beginning to move.
The duration of pregnancy cats, periods
It is believed that the correct cat pregnancy takes 59-70 days, an average of 63. The time from conception to childbirth can be divided into 6 periods.
The first - the beginning of gestation (from fertilization to 18-20 days of gestation). The cat almost does not change the behavior, but can slightly increase the appetite.
Second - from 20 to 30 days of pregnancy. Swollen mammary glands become brighter, and the stomach - tense.
Third - 5 week gestation. At a cat the tummy is rounded, and kids are arranged in an abdominal cavity. At this time it is forbidden to feel her, so as not to injure the kids.
Fourth - completion of 5 and the beginning of 6 weeks. The cubs are cramped in the abdominal cavity, and the cat's abdomen swells noticeably at the sides.
Fifth (penultimate) - from 42 to 50 days. The future mother is often nervous and refuses to eat, and the kittens (grown up to 5-8 cm) have a coat.
Sixth (final) - active movement of babies is observed. With multiple pregnancy, the movement of the kittens are visible to the naked eye.
How to feed a pregnant cat
With an emphasis on industrial food, choose packs labeled "holistic" or "super premium class."
The list of useful natural food include:
- boiled beef or veal,
- broth, boiled pork or sea fish,
- boiled eggs (twice a week),
- dairy products less than 15% fat, including cottage cheese, yogurt, milk, cream, sour cream, yogurt (without additives),
- rice porridge, oatmeal and buckwheat,
- boiled or raw vegetables / fruits (cat choice),
- aspic and boiled cartilage.
For constipation, they give oil, beets and fatty foods, removing them as soon as the stool gets better.
Important! To eliminate complications during childbirth, water the cat with a decoction of crimson leaves (1 tbsp per 0.25 l of water). The broth is filtered and given daily in a teaspoon.
- feed your pet 4-5 times a day
- increase the daily ration in 1,5-2 times from the 2nd period of pregnancy,
- for meat (with natural feeding), take half the daily rate,
- supplement natural food with vitamin and mineral supplements.
In the 2 semester of pregnancy, add to the food sliced nettle leaves (pre-scalded with boiling water): this will increase lactation.
Activity and rest of a pregnant cat
Cats in an interesting position usually sit back more and move less. There is a definite reason for this - this is how they minimize accidental injuries, but there is also the danger of getting fat from hypodynamia, making the next birth more complicated. Make the cat play and move more in the early stages of pregnancy, shielding from jumping from a great height.
In later periods, completely block access to the hills and allow the expectant mother to rest freely. Take care of the quality of her sleep by limiting the reception of your guests, not including loud music, excluding screams and noise. Create greenhouse conditions for it: equip a house or a warmed stove, placing them in the quietest corner of the apartment.
Important! If your pet is used to walking in the yard, shortly before giving birth, do not let her go there, otherwise the brood will be born in unsanitary conditions.
Vaccination cats during pregnancy
It is allowed to vaccinate a cat 2 months before mating or after delivery, in company with kittens. Also, the animal is eliminated in advance of parasites, using anthelmintic a week before mating. Otherwise, this procedure will have to be carried out when the kittens are 4 weeks old: they are given a special suspension, and their mothers are an anthelmintic drug for nursing cats.
Before conception, it is important to eliminate ticks, fleas, and lashing that not only annoys the animal, but also endures dangerous illnesses that cause miscarriage. Most prophylactic preparations contain pesticides that enter the stomach and blood. Unfortunately, the placenta is not an obstacle to poison, which can stop the development of the fetus or cause deformity, miscarriage and congenital abnormalities.
It is believed that the drug Stronghold has the most benign effect on the body of a pregnant cat: it copes with many parasites. However, consult with your veterinarian before using it.
False and frozen pregnancy
False pregnancy, extremely rarely diagnosed, is attributed to natural physiological processes. Her symptoms (drowsiness, caution in movement, increased appetite, a slight increase in nipples) are usually erased and do not threaten feline health.
The reason for consulting with a veterinarian should be such hypertrophied signs as:
- markedly enlarged abdomen,
- badly swollen nipples
- milk excretion
- the cat builds a nest and also “gives birth” and nurses “babies”,
- the animal "becomes pregnant" after one or two or after another heat.
Only a specialist is able to distinguish an imaginary pregnancy from a real one (using ultrasound, palpation and X-ray). He also prescribes therapy, normalizing the level of sex hormones, or sterilization. Ultrasound helps to identify missed abortion, in which one or more embryos die due to infections, hormonal failure and fetal abnormalities.
It is interesting! If not all embryos are dead, they remain pregnant: they come out at birth with live kittens. With the death of all embryos waiting for miscarriage or stimulate the generic activity of the drug, to avoid their decomposition.
After the cat is released from the burden, it is examined by checking the purity of the uterus. Often, after a frozen pregnancy, the animal is sterilized.
Stimulation of childbirth
It is resorted to with prolonged gestation periods. No amateur and popular methods, which often lead to long childbirth and injury to the cervix, for example, with self-administration of oxytocin. Only the doctor will decide whether to urge on childbirth and what means are needed. If you can not do without stimulation, the cat will be given a hormone - a catalyst of contractions.
They are considered the most difficult in terms of physiology and psychology: a woman in labor can panic, demand help from the owner, or, conversely, rush at him and hiss.
The owner is also somewhat confused and needs the support of a veterinarian who will be able to calm the cat by injecting it with a sedative that reduces stress.
Duration of delivery
The owner of the cat should not be concerned about the duration of the onset of labor, but possible deviations. Call "Aibolit" if:
- there are fights, but the kitten does not come out for more than an hour
- it is clear that the fruit is stuck,
- Cat temperature above 39.5 ° C or below 37 ° C
- there were plentiful, bloody, foul-smelling and purulent discharges,
- the animal weakens, barely breathes and lies, not trying to expel the fruit,
- the heart rate gets off.
Call your doctor if you do not know what to do next.
Onset of labor
Do not turn the birth into a show: do not comment on what is happening and do not call guests. If the cat allows, lightly stroke the sides and back towards the tail. A longhair woman in labor (so that the kids are not confused) is better to wrap the tail with a bandage. During the fights, waves will pass through her body, and her stomach will begin to bulge and strain.. Stormy preparatory phase promises rapid delivery. Sometimes the appearance of the firstborn takes more time than the subsequent kittens.
Help at birth
An experienced or self-confident person can help a giving birth cat. And help is needed in case of weak contractions, improper fetching of the fetus, large sizes of the newborn, and the absence of contractions.
Important! When a bubble is torn, you can (with surgical gloves) get a kitten, waiting for another fight, pulling it in an arc to the stomach. You can not grab him by the head or legs!
Stimulate contractions are allowed only with the full disclosure of the cervix. The owner can:
- slightly, without pressure, massage the tummy (in a circle) in the direction from the chest to the vulva,
- gently massage the nipples,
- attach one kitten to the breast so that it will eat
- With the index finger inserted (up to the 2nd phalanx) in the vagina, gently stroke the wall opposite the anus. Go
If something does not work, it is better to call the vet.
If the birth has passed without emergency, the cat itself licks the cubs and bites off the umbilical cord, sometimes eating a couple of. The owner must check that all children's places come out: if this does not happen, call a doctor for help.
If the newborn is not breathing, you must:
- remove syringe from the nose / mouth with a syringe,
- wrap the kitten with a waffle cloth and massage the back from the tail to the neck,
- after cleansing the nose from mucus, quickly wipe around it with cotton wool and ammonia,
- you can drop a drop of brandy on the tongue,
- in the absence of signs of life, wrap it with a waffle napkin and, while holding the head, shake it gently,
- conduct artificial respiration of the mouth to the nose (given the tiny size of the lungs).
If the woman has not gnawed the umbilical cord, help her:
- Squeeze the umbilical cord with your fingers 2 cm from the tummy. Go
- Hold tight for 15 seconds to clamp the vessels. Go
- Cut the umbilical cord at the point of compression, making sure that no blood is released.
- If blood oozes out, drag the umbilical cord with a 1.5 cm disinfected thread from the abdomen.
- Brush the tip with brilliant green or potassium permanganate.
Give the reanimated baby to his mother. If the cat has successfully transferred childbirth, you will not need a special box for kittens.
Signs of pregnancy cats
The female is ready to continue the race more often from the 7th month of life. However, you should not hurry with the viscous, the young cat's body should grow stronger and mature a little more. The optimal time for first mating is a year.
First signs of pregnancy cat appear in 2.5-3 weeks:
- nipples become pinkish, swell,
- markedly reduced activity of the pet,
- morning vomiting is an indicator of hormonal adjustment,
After 2-3 weeks, the animal wakes up the appetite. The vet performs palpation on the 20th day. Do not do it yourself because of the great opportunity to harm both future kittens and their mother.
On the 4-5th week of pregnancy of the cat, weight gain becomes apparent: + 1-2 kg. Weight depends on the number of future offspring. The cat becomes wary of strangers, and affectionate towards relatives.
Taste preferences of the expectant mother change, you can notice differences in mood.
After 6 weeks, the big belly becomes noticeable, the movements of the animal slow down, the gait can change. Starting from the 7th week, the cat is looking for a "nest", it can start to get nervous. Milk in the mammary glands appears at the beginning of the ninth week.
The birth itself begins with contractions, the whole process takes less than a day, usually it is 3-4 hours. After contractions and attempts, the fetus will appear in a bladder. The animal gnaws through the umbilical cord and can eat the afterbirth. After that, the newborn kitten starts to eat, and the mother continues the process of childbirth.
How to determine the duration of pregnancy in cats
The gradually increasing abdomen makes the owner nervous, which can be felt by the pet. It is better to know the exact gestational age of the cat in order to properly prepare for an important event.
The term is determined by external signs that shows the cat's body. On the 16-18th day, the nipples become bright coral color.
Increasing appetite affects the weight of the pet, but you need to make sure that this is a consequence of an interesting situation, and not the presence of parasites in the body. When in doubt, they turn to the veterinarian and make an ultrasound for the cat during pregnancy, which is determined from the 15th day of fertilization.
If earlier the doctor could simply find a certain amount of fruit in the stomach of an animal, then from the 40th day the veterinarian will tell the exact number of expected kittens.
It is convenient to use an online calculator, in which the most accurate period of pregnancy of a cat will be calculated.
How long does the pregnancy last in cats?
As with the representatives of humanity, the timing of pregnancy in animals are different: the pregnancy of British and Scottish cat breeds lasts differently. Shorthair gestation 58-68 days, and long-haired can please brood after 68-72 days. Siamese breed gives the owner kittens earlier than 63 days.
The duration of pregnancy in cats makes 63-72 days, but it happens that if there are a lot of fruits, then childbirth can occur on the 58th day, which is also a variant of the norm. Now it is clear how many days a furry pet will prepare for childbirth.
Many inexperienced cat owners are interested in how many weeks or months pregnancy lasts in their pets. Those who come across this for the first time may not worry - the gestational period of domestic cats makes it possible to slowly prepare for the birth of a tiny offspring, providing the mother and brood with full care. Usually, gestation lasts about 9 weeks, or 2 months.
The situation is more complicated if the date of fertilization is unknown for sure. But knowing the total average number of days of gestation, and the characteristic features for each stage, you can predict the date of birth of kittens.
Also, the duration of pregnancy in a cat depends on whether it is the first, on the age of the expectant mother, on the number of kittens. Multiple pregnancies are often pumped by early childbirth, but if there are 1-2 kittens in the womb, then they may not be in a hurry.
Toward the end of the 9th week, everything necessary for childbirth and first aid for the parturient should be ready.
Care for a pregnant cat
If a good owner cares for his cat in its usual state, then taking care of a pregnant cattery is sacred.
In the first weeks of the body pussy need a sufficient amount of healthy food. The standard portion rule does not work here: they are guided by the animal's requests; it can easily eat more than usual at this time.
When half of the term passes, the host, on the contrary, will have to introduce some restrictions in nutrition: the amount of feed should decrease in portions, and the intervals between feedings should be reduced.
If the cat was fed natural food, then a greater amount of cottage cheese or kefir is added to the products. In any case, the animal's body needs calcium. It is reasonable to pick up specialized feed for pregnant cats. The veterinarian will advise on the need for vitamin or mineral supplements, after examining the nursery.
For an animal, it is important to stay in good physical shape, so do not refuse her to moderately active games.
Most importantly - no stress for the cat!
Preparing a place for a pregnant cat
Pregnancy at a cat in 9 weeks will come to an end, and the place for childbirth should be ready in advance. Fluffy future mother herself will let know when it will be necessary to address this issue.
During childbirth, the animal feels calmer in a secluded quiet place. Therefore, looking for a roomy box and prepare clean rags.
Rest of the last two weeks depends on the behavior of all households. Especially it is not necessary to fuss about small children in anticipation of a kitten, it makes the cat nervous.
The animal is taught to the future bedhouse, equipping it in such a way that the pet feels calm and relaxed there. Although it happens that with love the nest prepared by the mistress for some reason does not seem appropriate to the future mother. In this case, just follow exactly where the animal is striving. Then it is necessary during the birth to relocate the mistress to the place chosen by the darling.
Since the beginning of labor, the owner should be next to the woman in labor - so it will be quieter for everyone. If you can call the vet for the first birth, it will be great!
Care about the health of a pregnant cat
Caring for a cat during pregnancy suggests increased attention to the state of the animal from the household.
Of course, that the owner's pet should give birth in the house under supervision, because the street is a hotbed of all sorts of infections. Pregnant pussy kept away from other pets, especially visiting the street. This requirement is due to several reasons:
the female becomes more aggressive, which is fraught with injuries,
the presence of several cats threatens to double pregnancy, miscarriage, or the death of a brood,
the possibility of infection of a pregnant woman, or infection with worms.
During this important period it is forbidden to give drugs against parasites, fleas and some other drugs. All preventive measures and analyzes are done before mating.
The closer the end of the term, the more clumsy the purring becomes, and her desire to climb to a height can be fraught with serious consequences, even a miscarriage.
Every day you need to inspect the pet - any deviation from the norm should alert the owner. The reason for visiting a veterinary clinic can be a weakness of a cat, refusal of food long before the date of birth, and abundant vaginal discharge.
Injections for cats from pregnancy
Not all owners want to get offspring from their pet. To prevent pregnancy cats developed special injections, appointed according to the scheme, which selects a veterinarian.
An injection is made before the start of estrus, and the effect of the hormonal agent is effective for 6 months. After you need a new dose of the drug.
This kind of sterilization, simple in use, and leaving the cat the ability to carry offspring after the end of the drug.
У такого метода есть минусы: нарушения функционирования репродуктивной системы, осложнения со здоровьем вплоть до воспалений и раковых образований.
Ложная беременность у кошки
Обычно, после вязки наступает беременность кошки. The behavior of the cattery and some signs confirm the interesting position of the animal: swelling of the mammary glands, caution of the female in the behavior, an increase in the abdomen. But after 3 or 4 weeks, all the symptoms disappear. It is called false pregnancywhich is actually a hormonal disruption in the cat's body. This adversely affects the psyche of the animal.
The causes of false pregnancy lie not only in hormonal disruption: it is possible that the mating was with a sterile cat, or there are pathologies of the reproductive system in the body of the female, disruption of the thyroid gland.
In the form of treatment, they prescribe a diet and a decrease in the amount of dairy products in the pet menu, which will have a positive effect on the cat. It is important to show attention to the injured cat and surround her with care. It is advisable to add vitamins to food.