If your beloved pet has become lethargic, drinks a lot, begins to go to the toilet, whimpering, or, worse, anywhere, you should not immediately punish him. It is possible that the dog is sick and it needs to be shown to the vet - this behavior can be a signal of the onset of cystitis (inflammation in the bladder).
Features of the disease
The disease has no age characteristics - animals are ill and the elderly, and young, including puppies. A separate risk group is formed by small breeds and stunted individuals (dachshunds, for example). Bitches get sick more often than males due to the anatomical features of the structure of the urogenital system.
In general, dogs are sick less often than cats, but have a more pronounced clinical picture.
It is very important to determine the exact cause of the disease, since only symptomatic therapy is a guarantee that the pathological state will return, and the next time it will manifest itself many times stronger.
Cystitis in a dog is acute and chronic. Chronic cystitis is a condition that develops on the background of some other primary disease. Its symptoms are diluted by the clinical signs of another pathology, so an accurate diagnosis becomes difficult. In acute cases, the symptoms are pronounced, difficulties with preliminary diagnosis does not occur.
According to the manifestations of bladder inflammation in dogs is classified into:
- catarrhal (urine turbid, and protein is detected in the analysis),
- hemorrhagic (blood is evident),
- dystrophic (externally, urine is almost unchanged, and epithelial cells are found in the analyzes),
- purulent (the name speaks for itself - the presence of pus and an unpleasant smell leave no doubt about the form of the disease).
- getting into the urinary system from the lymph or blood of various pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi (E. coli, strepto-and staphylococcus, pasteurella, chlamydia, candida, trichomonas, etc.),
- complication of renal diseases (urolithiasis, nephritis or pyelonephritis),
- hypothermia (the most common cause) due to the animal's habit of sleeping in cold places and drafts, excessively long walks in cold and wet weather, self-indulgence with bathing in cold waters, etc.,
- the appearance of inflammation in females with endometritis, vaginitis, improper catheterization with violation of antiseptic rules,
- in exceptional cases - parasites (worms), an allergic reaction, taking toxic drugs or tumor neoplasms,
- abdominal trauma in the perineal region:
- poor drinking water (saturated with metal ions or harmful salts),
- problems in the blood supply to the bladder or urine flow,
- feed allergy (very rare cause).
What symptoms to pay attention to
- Increased urination. You can only notice the pets who live indoors - he will constantly ask to go outside or make small puddles right in the room. The volume of urine produced per day does not increase: the dog goes to the toilet more often, but in small portions.
- In urine impurities appear: mucus, blood or pus. It becomes turbid and acquires a sharp and unpleasant smell, not typical of the usual state.
- At the time of urination or at the end of the process, the dog may whine from pain. Males cease to lift a paw, and urinate, sitting on both paws (a bright sign of cystitis). It is clearly visible that the procedure gives the pet agony and discomfort.
- The dog does not allow to feel the stomach in the perineum - jerks with paws, crouches, whines and tries to avoid examination in every possible way. At the same time, the abdominal wall is tense, like a drum membrane.
- With a prolonged process, general malaise, lethargy develops, appetite decreases, body temperature rises. There may be signs of intoxication at the time of the purulent process, because the sick animal will increasingly try to hold the urine so as not to feel pain.
- Cystitis in a dog with signs resembles urolithiasis - a more serious pathology, which is excluded in the very first place.
How to help a pet with inflammation
The veterinary specialist diagnoses the diagnosis not only on the basis of the description of the pet's host and clinical examination, but also on the results of ultrasound and blood and urine tests. The rarest form is allergic. Usually placed after all other species have been excluded.
Treatment of cystitis in dogs at home is permissible only after it has been examined by a veterinarian, and the correct medical prescription is given. A cause must be established that will be resolved at the same time as symptomatic therapy.
You can not independently and uncontrolledly unsolder the dog's “herbs”, since in case of an allergic manifestation of the disease, the animal can be even more harmed. Herbal decoctions are not prohibited, but must be agreed with a specialist!
How to treat cystitis in dogs?
Drugs for treatment are prescribed, dosed and combined strictly by the veterinarian! The disease is not treated only by eliminating the symptoms.
- Bacterial infection. Treatment of cystitis in dogs with antibiotics is applied only after urine culture and determination of the sensitivity of microflora to a particular drug. If there is no time to wait, the vet usually prescribes broad-spectrum drugs or nitrofurans (for example, furadonin for cystitis).
- Hemorrhagic factor. Dogs are shown mandatory use of hemostatic agents when blood is detected in the urine.
- Secondary diseases. If, in addition to cystitis, pathologies suspected of provoking the dog are found in the dog, then the main disease is eliminated first and then the inflammatory process is eliminated. Or treatment is carried out in parallel.
- Bladder washing with a catheter carry out antiseptic liquids and only a specialist! A good way to cleanse the bladder from the waste products of microorganisms and reduce the risk of intoxication. Be sure to hold after emptying the bubble. In rare cases, antibiotic solutions are used.
- Allergic Cystitis diagnosed very, very rarely. In addition to antihistamine therapy, the diet is necessarily changing, eliminating potential allergens from it.
- Observed during treatment special drinking regimen - plenty and only clean drinking water.
- Pet feeding It should be carried out either by special foods intended for diseases of the urinary system, or the ration should be formed independently. The most famous foods for cystitis and diseases of the genitourinary system (including urinary stones):
- Royal canin urinary s / o and Royal canin urinary,
- Hills Prescription Diet canine u / d,
- Farmina Vet Life for dogs,
- Purina urinary.
- If the pet does not like the finished options, then it is best to give porridge (not cereal), weak soups, boiled vegetables and dairy products. It is better to exclude meat in any form for a while, until the acute symptoms of the disease are removed during the treatment of cystitis in the dog (but meat broth is possible).
Painkillers and antispasmodics
- analgin: 1 tab. / 20-25 kg or 0.1 ml / kg body weight intramuscularly symptomatically, can be repeated only after 10-12 hours, is contraindicated for small dogs, puppies, as well as animals with severe kidney disease,
- no-shpa (drotaverin): 1 tab. / 10 kg or in a solution of 1 ml / 10 kg in muscle. It is better to give in pills, they prick when it is not possible to give a pill.
- Baytril 5%: 0.2 ml / kg intramuscularly in a course of 3-10 days. Can not be mixed with tetracyclines and chloramphenicol,
- Cefotaxime: twice a day at the same time 15-20 mg / kg for up to 1 week (but not less than 5 days) by intramuscular injections,
- ceftriaxone: daily dose of 20-40 mg / kg, divided into 2-3 doses at regular intervals of time, course duration 5-10 days,
- furadonin: the dose per day is 5-10 mg / kg of the dog's weight, which should be divided into 2-4 doses per day at regular intervals. Course: up to 10 days (but not less than a week).
- saline 0.9%,
- 0.5% protargol or tannin,
- 3% boric solution.
All fluids should be close to body temperature. It is better to wash more often and in small portions of liquid (from 5 to 25 ml, depending on the size of the dog), than once a large volume at once.
- Ditsinon: 1 ml / 10 kg of weight in the thigh. It is important not to exceed the dosage,
- vikasol: 1-2 mg / kg per muscle, maximum 3-5 days,
- calcium chloride: a maximum of 5–15 ml is administered intravenously (slowly), depending on the size of the animal. If it gets under the skin, you should chop off the area with sodium chloride to avoid necrosis.
Homeopathy and herbal remedies
They are used only in combination with the main treatment.
- cantalen injections: inject into the thigh muscle or subcutaneously in the withers 1-3 p. / day for a week or ten days or until the condition is normal, with chronic cystitis - once a day for up to 1 month. Dose: 0.5-4 ml / animal, depending on size,
- Canarian pills for cystitis: the duration of treatment is determined by the veterinarian, but not longer than 1 month, 2-3 times / day in severe form, 1-2 times / day - with a mild, single dose 1-3 tab. / animal, based on its size ,
- Kantaris compositum: is administered by any injection method at a dose of 1-4 ml / dog with a repeat every 24 hours until the condition is normal for acute and every 4 days for chronic,
- urolex: give inside for 1 hour before feeding 3 drops / kg of weight 3 p. / day. Give either immediately undiluted to the root of the tongue, or diluted in very small amounts of water and fill with a syringe. The duration of the reception should not exceed 30 days,
- Ciston: 1-2 tablets per day, equaling the weight of the animal. You can immediately the entire dose, can be divided into 2 doses. The full course reaches 4-6 months if the cause of cystitis is stones, and up to 2 weeks of symptomatic therapy in other cases. Taking the drug is not advisable without an appropriate diet.
- stop cystitis for dogs (see instructions below).
- painkilling herbs: corn stigmas (no need to give for a long time!), peppermint and melissa,
- diuretic effect have: knotweed, bearberry, oregano, horsetail, St. John's wort,
- relieve inflammation: licorice, St. John's wort, oak bark, birch buds, ginger, alteyny root, parsley.
Different herbs have different properties. Broths are prepared from herbs of different groups for a complex effect. One part of any herb from each item is taken, 250 ml of boiling water is poured, infused in a closed container for 20-30 minutes, filtered and topped up to 0.5 l of total volume. Give twice a day to 50 ml of herbal fluid, depending on the size of the animal.
Causes of Cystitis
In 70% of cases the culprits of the disease are bacteria. They can get on the bladder mucosa in two ways - descending and ascending. In the first case, the bacteria enter the bladder with a current of lymph from adjacent organs or with blood (from anywhere, even from inflamed gums and carious pulp). With a downward path of penetration, treatment with antibiotics is not always effective, because first of all it is important to eliminate the main focus of infection.
The ascending path is penetration from the outside, through the urethra. There are always bacteria in the urethra, but they are flushed out with urine. If the pet suffers for a long time or its immunity is weak (hypothermia, stress), the bacteria begin to actively multiply and rise above, from the urethra to the bladder. Girls suffer from cystitis more often, because The urethra is wider, shorter, and close to the anus - it is easier for bacteria to enter the bladder. In addition, bitches are subject to various "female" ailments that violate the flora (vaginitis and metritis).
More rarely, cystitis develops on the background of parasitic invasion, taking toxic medications, allergies, tumors. Cystitis as a symptom is observed in ICD, nephritis, and other diseases of the genitourinary system. If therapy of the underlying disease is not performed or is ineffective, chronic cystitis cannot be treated.
Prevention of cystitis
In tandem with a competent veterinarian and caring attitude, it is possible to cure cystitis in a dog, but it is better to prevent the disease. Nothing extra complicated from the owner is required:
- A pet should drink plenty and only clean water (filtered, from a bottle).
- You can not walk a dog twice a day, this is not enough. At least three times or have to put the tray.
- You can not allow your pet to relax in the draft, at the fan, on the tile floor.
- A pet must have healthy gums and teeth (inflammations in the mouth are bacteria that will certainly get into the urethra).
- A bitch during estrus cannot be walked where strollers walk. And in no case should the males be allowed to lick the noose of the girl.
- Males should not be allowed to mate with untested bitches.
- In long-haired pets need to trim the hair under the tail so that the feces do not accumulate, and then do not fall into the mouth and on the genitals (after licking).
But the main measure of prevention of cysts in dogs is an annual visit to the vet to monitor the general condition of your pet. It is enough to pass a urine test to notice the changes in the picture compared with previous results. And financial expenses and time spent on an annual preventive visit to the clinic are nothing compared to how much money, time and mental strength you have to spend on treating a pet. In addition, the disease is always easier to win, if you catch the disease at an early stage - do not forget this simple truth.
Prevention of the onset of the disease
Cystitis is easy to warn. Enough for this:
- Always feed your pet with clean drinking water.
- Be sure to walk 3 times a day - 2 times is not enough. Small dogs can put trays, toilets in the apartment. It is important that animals do not tolerate for a long time!
- Do not allow your pet to lie down or sleep on a cold floor (for example, cement or tile) or drafts during the cold season.
- Promptly treat bitches gynecological diseases, avoiding purulent inflammation.
- Be sure to once or twice a year to conduct routine checkups at the vet.
- Do not walk the females during estrus in places where clusters of stray dogs are noted.
- It is important to shear the long-haired breeds of the fur around the anus in dogs, in order to avoid contamination with the feces of the urethra.
- If there is a tendency to diseases of the urogenital system, then it is better to feed it with special foods intended for such cases.
- Mandatory timely vaccination.
Good afternoon, doctor! My dog mongrel long-haired shorty 2 years ago had a successful operation about pyometria. I took care of her, did not take to the street. This year, in the fall, and in the summer, of course, she began to print three times "for a pee". Everything was normal, we quickly managed in 3-5 minutes, even in big frosts. Recently, the dog after each urination on the street began to lick the urethra. I looked around and saw her partial redness at the bottom. The general condition seems to be normal, only one time the nose was leaking, then everything passed. how serious is it?
Hello! If possible, take a blood test for a hidden inflammatory process. If not, just show a veterinarian: there may be both local irritation and inflammation of the bladder. But, I think, with the timely treatment of inflammation of the genitourinary system under the condition of surgical treatment of pyometra, there is nothing to worry about - everything can be cured.
Good day! Tell me. Please let us quickly take our pet. February 13, had surgery for a hip bone fracture. A month has passed on his paw yet he doesn’t get up, if only when he is "forgotten" after seeing his friends on a walk. The walks were short-term 10-15 minutes, so he couldn’t overcool. He started writing that in his 8 years never happened. He lost his appetite , crying in a dream That was today at 6 in the morning, and at 8 o'clock he wrote How quickly he could help, stop cystitis, and another antibiotic. Which is better? Help our outraged Filusha, he is already afraid of going to the veterinary clinic. Very, very much waiting. Thank you !.
Hello! In vain do you think that the pet could not overcool. A sharp temperature drop from heat to cold and 5 minutes is enough to forgive. With urinary tract infections, fluoroquinolones always work best. There is a good veterinary drug - Enroksil. By the way, he even comes with the smell and taste of meat, so the dogs "eat" him willingly and there are no problems with giving a pill. Pill or just give the whole mouth or sprinkle with food powder. Tablets come in various dosages, but the dosage is calculated on 5 mg of enrofloxacin per kg of animal weight per day (50 mg tablet is designed for 10 kg of weight). The whole dose is given immediately or divided into twice a day, but the interval between doses must be clearly 12 hours, it is impossible to skip the dose. The course is 7-10 days (better than 10). Не найдете именно энросил, купите в человеческой аптеке обычный энрофлоксацин — дозировка будет та же.To this, add Koterwin solution, the same Stop-Cystitis or Healthy Kidney pills (one choice) - in dosage, according to the instructions for a course of at least 2 weeks. In addition, inspect the area of the allowance and the penis, so that there is no additional irritation. If there is - wash with ordinary chlorhexidine twice a day. And be sure to follow the dynamics - if problems with urination continue, urolithiasis should be excluded (and this may require bladder catheterization, which you will not cope with). Recover!
Hello! For our puppy (age 3 months), cystitis is exacerbated for the fourth time. While on antibiotics, everything is fine, once you have finished taking - a new exacerbation, urine with blood. All clinics say different things. Why it happens? Schen month on antibiotics sitting
Hello! Urine with blood is not always cystitis. Pathology of the kidneys, too, may be accompanied by discharge with urine of blood. I can not say right away where the relapses come from, because I do not have information on drugs that were administered and therapeutic scheme. In your case, you should have been recommended to do an ultrasound of the urinary system and a blood test for biochemistry - do you have it? I need to understand what exactly is with your pets and analyze whether the therapy was going in that direction to say why the relapses are. Scope of probabilities - from the wrong selection of drugs to the genetic pathologies of the kidneys and / or the bladder.
Hello! I have a large dog, we have been treating cystitis for two years now, constantly on antibiotics, if they are canceled, cystitis returns for 3-4 days. Doctors refuse us, many tests, ultrasound, etc. Recently, the dog was castrated, but the problem did not go away, as many said, it would be better. Now, too, on antibiotics, no one can help us. Can you write in a personal?
Be kind enough to delete my question, since you can not answer it. Best regards, Olga
Hello Olga. Our vet can answer any question. The development of the project requires material costs. We pay the vet 100 rubles per question. If you can pay for the answer, she will answer you.
Hello! In order to objectively assess the condition of your pet, I need to know what antibiotics and in general what other drugs he was treated for. Have you ever taken a blood test for biochemistry? When and what were the indicators? I would also like to understand what you mean by cystitis - what symptoms are observed in an animal? Is it confused with something else? Did the ultrasound? Having answered these questions in detail, we will be able to discuss your situation in more detail.
Hello! Early in the morning my dog started asking me to go outside, in addition to a two-time long walk. We leave, it is worth urinating for a long time. And he began to drink a lot. There is no inflammation, otherwise it behaves as usual, there is no pain. Cheerful and playful. Can I give him stop cystitis for prophylaxis?
Hello! Be sure to contact the vet clinic. The dog has kidney problems, not bladder problems. And be sure to donate blood biochemistry.
Good day! My poodle is 11 years old, recently he ran away while walking, looking for him for 1.5 days. Found. He spent the night on the street and, apparently, podaprosyl, can not stand between the festivities. The better to treat it? Stop cystitis is suitable? I do not see painful symptoms. Thank you!
Hello! Stop cystitis has a pronounced antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and diuretic action. It can be used as a mono-drug for the treatment of cystitis. It is very important to observe the dosage and maintain the entire course of treatment, without stopping it at the first signs of improvement. If it does not help, then it’s not a matter of the bladder, but later in the kidneys. Remember that self-diagnosis and self-treatment can adversely affect the pet.
In addition, the dog should drink a lot. You can add a little soda (alkalized water) to the water so that the acidity of urine changes at the outlet. Dry food is excluded from the diet if it is present and any fatty or flavored food from the person’s table. Increase the amount of sour-milk products if the dog eats them.
The dog began to urinate often in a little and with blood. They did an ultrasound test and passed the urine for analysis. There is no analysis of urine on the hands, but the veterinarian said that protein is elevated, sand and blood are present. Conclusion of ultrasound: Ultrasound signs of ICD: bladder stone. Chronic cystitis. Were treated with the following drugs: urolex, the drug “healthy kidneys”, they were given 6 days cefotaxime. At the moment we are taking drops of canephron and cytostat.
The blood in the urine seems to have disappeared, but the dog still urinates often and in a small way. With the urine out purulent clots. What else can you do? Thank you in advance.
Hello! Why did the dog get cytostat? This is a drug for the prevention of malignant tumors of the breast. You wrote the name exactly?
Cefotaxime is a weak antibiotic for the condition and symptoms that you describe. Moreover, a course of 6 days for chronic inflammation is nothing. Healthy kidneys and urolex are ancillary drugs, situations alone cannot help.
What you need specifically your pet. As an antibiotic - ceftriaxone (1-1.5 ml intramuscularly 1 time per day at the same time for 10-14 days, dilute daily with 5 ml of water for injection), as an anti-inflammatory, dissolving stones and diuretic - cotterwin ( a preparation for cats, but in practice it is successfully used in dogs - inside in the mouth in the morning 2-6 ml for 14 days, depending on the size of the dog). Healthy kidneys and continue the course according to the instructions. Water should always stand. Fluid in the body should do a lot, because you need to flush out all the filth from the bladder. The first days can additionally be directly poured into the mouth water a couple of times a day. I want to warn you right away that not all stones dissolve, but it is quite possible to make them smaller. It is because of the stone that the dog urinates in a peculiar way, because it overlaps the ureter.
When you have finished all the shots and pills, you can feed the animal with grass with the madder (if there are no problems with the kidneys, and there are none, judging by your message). Madder perfectly removes sand from the kidneys and urinary, dissolves some stones, has anti-inflammatory effect. Brewed according to the instructions on the package, drinking twice a day for 2-5 tables. L. in a week. Immediately I say, the grass is bitter, the animals drink it reluctantly.
All urinogenital cases are treated only comprehensively. With a history of even a hint of ICD, you should always be prepared for a relapse. The main thing is that the stone does not go into the ureter and is not stuck there, otherwise it is only an operation. Recover!
Tell me please. Dog (5.5 years old neutered at 3), Pomeranian. Always go to the toilet at home in a diaper, do not walk. For the last 3 weeks there were 4 cases: the mood changes dramatically - it starts to tremble and hide when it comes up - it asks for it and “complains”, so it can last for some time and at the same time involuntary urination, i.e. he suffers for a long time and then immediately gives out many things, or he goes and leaks with him. After a while, everything passes and goes to the diaper again ...
In addition to this, mycoses of the skin have been found in the owner (ringworm, while the animal has no sores), can the dog show up only internally?
Hello! Ringworm does not manifest itself as you described. Moreover, the fungal infection of the skin develops not only from animals. The dog needs to do an ultrasound and exclude the ICD. Often, such paroxysmal states are explained by the movement of stones in the kidneys or bladder.
Hello, help with advice in this situation: a dog of 8-9 years old, a girl who got sick with cystitis in February 2018, underwent an ultrasound examination, the vet appointed 10 days of injections Ceftriaxone and Cyston. Pierced and drank the drugs. 2 months passed, cystitis reappeared. How to cure completely so that there is no recurrence. I believe that this is already age and drafts. I noticed that the dog gets sick with a sharp contrast between weather temperatures and conditions. How to improve immunity through the diet ?. Thank you in advance
The dog got sick. At first there was estrus — it lasted a long time more than a month. Began to lose weight the appetite was gone. White discharge appeared, it stands and drips something white. The doctor came home / came to vaccinate the cattle / made an injection with a ditrim and Vitaiin said that she probably had indometritis left an antibiotic and candles with ichthyol for 7 days, but the discharge did not get much better. I called the doctor again two weeks later. I punched a 7-day diter of milgamm. Now she is not at home for a long time asking to write on the street often. Long spin then pee. Go podzhimset belly. Help advice. The nearest medical clinic 100 km to go there is no possibility. Thank.
What to look for
If the female has become ill with cystitis, it is not necessary to disregard this disease. It can often be such that inflammation of the bladder is a sign of pathological changes in the genital tract. Sometimes cystitis may indicate the presence of cysts in the genitals of the bitch.
In males, cystitis may indicate the presence of inflammation of the prostate - both acute and chronic nature. Quite often, cystitis in males occurs as a symptom of a stone in the bladder, urethra. Unfortunately, inflammation of the bladder is possible on the background of oncological processes of the kidneys and bladder.
Sometimes cystitis can develop along with urethritis. Urocystitis occurs - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the urethra and bladder. Protein, pus, hemoglobin, epithelium particles may appear in the urine.
Please note that cystitis is mostly sick small dogs, for example, dachshunds or Cocker Spaniels. Do not allow hypothermia dogs, especially in winter, arranging her long walks. If young pets become ill with inflammation of the bladder, then attention should be paid to the state of its urethra: congenital anomalies of organ development often contribute to this.
Signs and symptoms of cystitis in dogs
A healthy dog always has a good appetite. And the bad weather is not a barrier. But if a pet is ill with cystitis, then his appetite is sharply reduced. On palpation of the urea, the animal is restless, as it feels pain. It is characteristic that urine is excreted, as a rule, in a small amount. Pet begins to leave puddles on the floor or dirty furniture.
The urine of such a dog begins to smell unpleasantly, it contains mucus, sometimes pus and even blood clots. Often there is an increase in temperature indicators, thirst. General condition - depressed. The dog runs away while trying to feel the belly, sometimes even growls. In the analysis in the urine leukocytes are detected.
The chronic form of cystitis is not so prominent symptoms. However, the dog's behavior changes, it often urinates on the floor or carpet. The behavior on the walk changes: the female often sits down and the male lifts her paw. Near the opening of the urethra, and in males at the end of the penis, you can see the droplets of blood. Blood marks can also be seen on the litter.
Exacerbation of chronic cystitis has the following symptoms in dogs:
- the dog moves less
- her appetite is gone, but she drinks a lot of water,
- urination becomes more frequent, the dog often gets dirty,
- The pet has a change of posture,
- in the process of urination, as well as after his pet whines,
- sometimes the animal strains the stomach, it becomes painful, because of what it does not allow to touch itself,
- changing the smell and texture of urine.
The stronger the inflammation of the bladder, the more often urination becomes, and the abdominal pain increases. In severe cases, urination may be every half hour, sometimes even more often.
What is dangerous cystitis
This disease threatens the development of pyelonephritis. As a result, the body temperature in dogs increases and one-sided pain in the kidneys occurs. Bilateral pyelonephritis is especially dangerous for a pet.
The course of pyelonephritis is also dangerous in that the blood pressure in the dogs increases significantly. From this, the heart wears out faster, which is dangerous for health.
Due to cystitis, there is a high probability of developing urinary incontinence (enuresis). In addition, in advanced cases, chronic kidney failure occurs. The outcome of this disease is not favorable and rather serious.
Treatment of cystitis in dogs
It is recommended to start treating cystitis in a dog at home as early as possible. It is important to adhere to the basics of therapy.
Antibiotic therapy is obligatory in this case. Antibiotics contribute to the suppression of the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. However, only a doctor can pick up an antibiotic after studying the sensitivity of the animal to the drug. If this is not done, the wrong treatment will not only fail, but will also cause the resistance of the pathogens to the antibiotic. And this is an additional burden on the liver and kidneys of the dog.
If cystitis is caused by another disease, then you must first eliminate the root cause. The treatment of bladder inflammation will be ineffective if the dog has caries and has intestinal worms in the intestines.
In addition, the following groups of drugs are prescribed:
- painkillers, if the dog feels a lot of pain,
- if blood is detected in the urine, then a hemostatic drug is administered,
- antispasmodics (intramuscularly).
In order for the body's defenses to recover faster, it is necessary to give the dog decoctions from natural herbs. To do this, use the grass thistle thistle. Such an additive in food is taken in conjunction with a complex of antibiotics.
It is important that during the period of active treatment the dog rests more. You do not need to overload it with physical activity, in particular, walks. Pet must abide by diet. In the diet should be more cereals, cereals (oatmeal and millet), milk. Meat broth is very useful.
To reduce the acidity and prevent the formation of kidney stones, a little cranberry juice is added to the diet. Such an additive helps to increase the protective functions of the body as a whole, as well as enhances antibacterial protection.
A full course of treatment for a dog for cystitis must be at least three months. If, without the knowledge of the veterinarian, the therapeutic period is shortened, then the cystitis can turn into chronic.
When the metabolism changes, it is difficult to miss. If it slows down, then the pet gains weight very quickly, diabetes can develop. But far more often diabetes in uusatika with impaired metabolism is recorded urolithiasis.
Therefore, we can safely say that stones are the cause of dog cystitis. They block the urinary tract, causing urine to stagnate in the bladder. This only accelerates the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms. In addition, the stones, when moving along the channels, scratch the mucous membrane. This leads to the appearance of blood in the urine. And the scratched mucosa is more susceptible to the penetration of bacteria into the blood. And just imagine how painful it is when urine gets to the damaged area (wound, scratch), especially stagnant, highly concentrated.
To reduce pain, the pet tries to write less often. But as the amount of daily urine excreted remains the same, the dog has to relieve the need more often. However, we will analyze this “mechanism” a bit later, in the symptoms section of cystitis in a dog. Now let's continue to understand the causes of bladder inflammation in the dog.
Improper diet and drink
If fed incorrectly, the metabolism is disturbed. Hence, one reason for the development of cystitis in a dog flows into another. Everything is interconnected. Some foods stimulate the formation of insoluble salts, which settle and turn into stones.
If we talk about water, if it does not enter the body enough, then the urine becomes very concentrated. This urine poisons the pet, leads to severe intoxication. Bladder mucosa is very irritated, inflamed. Here is cystitis.
Water quality also plays an important role. If it contains a lot of metal ions or salts, then all this affects the health of the pet. It is best to use filtered water. No need to boil, just buy a regular filter. It is useful to you, and the mustache is good for health. Ensure that there is always clean water in the bowl.
Symptoms of cystitis in dogs
Almost all owners notice the clinical symptoms of cystitis in a dog. Yes, sometimes all the same the inflammation proceeds almost imperceptibly. But where more often the symptoms are bright, specific. So, how does cystitis manifest in dogs?
This again arises due to the fact that the mucous membrane is damaged. But not necessarily due to the mechanical effects of solid particles (sand, stones, for example). Concentrated urine strongly irritates the walls of the bladder, because of which they can "react" vessels.
In addition to blood, particles of pus may appear in it, and mucus is also noticeable. Changes and color. And it is hard to convey how the smell becomes “heavy”. In more severe cases, the pet can not pee at all. And then he needs emergency assistance - catheterization. If urine is not removed from the bladder, then intoxication with the decomposition products of urea in the body will quickly develop in the mustache, which will be absorbed into the bloodstream, poisoning the animal.
The temperature may rise, but this rise is usually not so noticeable. Но вот если цистит у собаки гнойный, то лихорадку пропустить не получится.
If you experience one or more signs of cystitis in dogs, you should immediately contact your veterinarian and begin treatment. But until the doctor has diagnosed self-medication, it’s not worth doing!
Treatment of dogs for cystitis
How to treat cystitis in dogs at home? First of all, you need to understand that there is no miracle pill - you need to treat the dog for cystitis in a complex way! This is a prerequisite. It is not enough just to suppress the symptoms, to relieve pain. If you do not find the cause of the disease, do not eliminate it, then the dog's inflammation of the bladder will definitely return. Recurrences of this disease are observed in almost 90% of cases. So, what to do if a dog has cystitis?
Conditions of detention
First of all, conditions are improved. All cold floor surfaces are “insulated”, or do not allow your pet to lie on the tile, concrete. It is better to arrange a bed with high sides to eliminate drafts. The room where the mustache is located should be warm. Just do not warm the bubble. Someone may advise to do so, but in fact it will only worsen the condition of the animal. Heat provokes an even greater increase in the number of bacteria, because of this, inflammation (especially purulent) is more difficult to eliminate, the treatment of a dog with cystitis increases.
Bladder catheterization and lavage
It is necessary to release the bladder from accumulated urine.
- First, it will help reduce the risk of intoxication with the products of the breakdown of urine.
- Secondly, it will allow to remove a part of pathogenic microorganisms from a bubble.
All this will lead to the fact that irritation of the mucous membrane of the bladder, if it does not stop completely, it will significantly decrease. And this is a huge step towards recovery of a dog from cystitis. You yourself will not do this, you will need the help of a veterinarian. Through the inserted catheter, he will wash the bladder with antiseptic solutions (for example, an aqueous solution of furatsilina). Antibiotics can be injected directly into the bladder itself in order to “destroy” the bacteria in it.
Antispasmodics will make it easier for your dog to have a bowel movement - this is another type of preparation for treating cystitis in a dog. After taking them, the puffiness will subside a bit, due to which the urinary canal will expand and urine will be separated in large portions, will not stagnate. In addition, antispasmodics have analgesic properties. Your mustache will not experience that intense pain, although it will not completely disappear.
Food and Drink
In any case, you need to revise the diet and make a special diet for dogs with cystitis. Make it more competently, respecting the relationship between micro-and macro-elements, proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
- At the time of treatment of a dog for cystitis, exclude meat.
- But sour milk products are better to give, because due to the use of antibiotics the intestinal microflora becomes poorer.
- A CMP restore it by bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.
- Prebiotics or enterosorbents can be given to “bind” antibiotics in the intestines, not allowing them to destroy beneficial microorganisms.
To give water pure, not to limit it. A large amount of water will help to reduce the concentration of harmful substances in urine (just dilute it, make it not so “aggressive” in relation to the inflamed mucosa). And if the urine is not concentrated, then emptying the bladder will become less painful. Pet will be easier to go to the toilet in a small way. The more he will write, the less bacteria will remain in the urinary.
Traditional methods of treatment
From the popular methods of treating a dog for cystitis at home, broths from the leaves of lingonberry or bearberry are widely used. Only need to be very careful when using them. And to give them as an addition to medical treatment, and not to replace it. These decoctions are known for their ability to heal the organs of the genitourinary system.
Good bactericidal properties, along with diuretic. By the way, diuretic drugs can be given only in the case when the mucosal edema has disappeared, and the inflammation itself has subsided significantly. Otherwise, you will only make it worse. There will be a lot of urine, but the dog will not be able to “remove” it (the canal is too narrow, the mucosa is damaged, pain persists or there is fear that it will hurt again).
Do not self-medicate! All drugs will appoint a veterinarian after a full-time examination and the results of the analysis of urine and blood! The bacteria that led to the inflammatory process in the bladder may not be sensitive to the antibiotic chosen by YOU (or bought on the advice of a friend / neighbor / interlocutor in the forum)! This will only “strengthen” the resistance of microorganisms to antibacterial drugs, which will greatly complicate the treatment of a dog with cystitis.
Description of cystitis in dogs
The bladder is the internal structure of the organ system of the animal and, under normal conditions, there must be a sterile environment.. So how could pathogens get there?
The most likely pathways for the “minor ill-wishers” to enter the urinary system are the kidneys, where urine is formed for storage in the bladder. They can also get to the blood circulation. However, it is possible and hit from the outside. For example, through the external organs of urination. The female has this vagina, or through the urethra in males. Cystitis is often a painful infection of the urinary tract and at the same time one of the most common causes of frequent urination in pets, especially bitches. The dog's bladder becomes inflamed due to infection, which leads to frequent urination.
Important! Infection often affects and damages the lower wall of the bladder and stimulates the nerve endings from it or the urethra, causing abnormal impulses or painful urination. Basically, the bladder of females is shorter and wider than in males, this makes it more susceptible to infections of a bacterial type, since with such a structure it is much easier for them to get to the urinary tract.
No dog is immune to bladder infections, but pets are more likely to develop the disease than 8 years of age. At some point, due to the natural aging process, together with a combination of concomitant age-related diseases, inadequate diet, stress, dehydration, or perhaps sudden proliferation of bacteria, dogs' immune systems no longer function properly. All these factors in the compartment work in favor of the bacteria, allowing them to freely enter the bladder through the urethra and produce inflammation that disrupts the normal function of the urinary tract.
With ascending infections, the bacteria "float upstream." They go against the flow of urine. Surprisingly, while emptying the bladder through urination opens the way for bacteria, it is also the main defense mechanism. That is why to drink more useful fluid and urinate more often - this is often the best prevention of bladder infections.
Bacterial cystitis may lead to more serious complications and new problems. In descending bacterial cystitis, the infection is initially based in some other organ or organ system. These bacteria from there enter the blood circulation of the animal. Then, when this “contaminated” blood flows through the kidneys, the bacteria colonize there and make their further journey to the bladder with the natural flow of urine.
In addition, some of the basic conditions of an animal's condition may contribute to the appearance of cystitis and infections in general. For example, diabetes, hypercortisolism, or the administration of long-term steroids to solve other medical problems, unfortunately, can significantly bring your pet to bladder infections.
Finally, some physical abnormalities can irritate the lining of the bladder, making it more susceptible to infection and conducive to the development of bacteria. In addition, dogs that take certain medications may be prone to developing cystitis. In general, it is important that the veterinarian be aware of all the problems, symptoms and medical history of the pet.
Diagnosis of the disease
How can we confirm that the pet has bacterial cystitis? Naturally, if there are any "complaints" or changes in the behavior of the animal in a negative direction - you must immediately seek help from a veterinary clinic. To make a correct diagnosis, there are certain tests that can identify bacteria and rule out similar diseases. First, the veterinarian will do a general examination by palpating the abdomen of the sick animal, checking his bladder.
The owner of the dog should give some information about the general condition of the pet, about the possible loss of appetite or being at the moment for some other treatment that can cause symptoms of cystitis. If a pet is currently being treated for any of the predisposing conditions listed above, routine testing for a bladder infection is likely to work even without obvious clinical symptoms.
It is interesting! After careful examination of the history and complete physical examination, your veterinarian may conduct certain laboratory tests to confirm the development of cystitis.
The veterinarian can then ask for a microscopic urine test to detect bacteria and determine the pH. Bacterial culture is also required. This procedure is not at all pleasant, but it needs to be done. The insertion of a needle into the urinary tract outside through the peritoneum or a catheter through the urethra may seem harsh, but the procedure is well tolerated by most dogs and provides a sample without potential contamination. Also, a urine sample taken by other means may include bacteria that have been brought from outside, for example, from the surface of collection vessels and other sources located in their path. Also need to do a blood test.
Some rapid tests may be prescribed by a veterinarian.. For example, as an analysis of the presence in the urine of blood or protein, an ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity, on which thickened bladder walls will be visible during cystitis. But the only real, final test is the determination of a bacterial culture on a urine sample. Your veterinarian, if deemed necessary, may also recommend additional tests. Such as other blood tests or radiography.
Diet at the time of treatment
The dog at the time of treatment of cystitis should be provided with uninterrupted drinking. A solution of soda in boiled water acts as the main drink. To prepare the solution, stir half a teaspoon of baking soda in one liter of boiled water. Also important is the absolute peace of the sick animal. Industrial feeds used before the disease are often replaced by renal. In order to prevent the development of complications, it is preferable to choose the same manufacturer.
It is interesting! Despite such advice, it is much more beneficial to transfer the animal to natural nutrition for the period of treatment. The most useful products are oatmeal with the addition of fresh milk. Feeding from the master table is excluded. Food of the animal should be freshly prepared, not contain excess salt, acid, spice, other spices and sugar.
Also, the dog's menu can be varied by adding to the drink a variety of herbal infusions. This innovation is definitely worth discussing with your veterinarian. The fact is that the use of diuretics is not necessary, since the outflow of urine is not difficult.
However, more frequent updating of urine will be a useful prevention of stagnant processes in the bladder. These remedies can be light infusions based on natural ingredients. For example, with the addition of horsetail, leaves of bilberry, corn stigmas or bearberry.
Such drinking accompaniment is only a supplement to the main treatment and cannot replace the use of medications. However, despite the seemingly innocuous action, the doses and the regularity of the reception must be checked with the doctor according to the severity of the case, size, breed, and age of each particular dog.
You should make sure that the dog has plenty of fresh water at its disposal and can urinate whenever it feels in need. Or, at least, has the opportunity to ask to go out with intolerable impulses.
Each dog should be taken out for walking several times a day. No dog should remain locked up for more than a few hours without emptying his bladder. Bacteria have time to gather inside the dog's bladder, thereby acting on it negatively.
It will also be interesting:
In addition, the diet of the animal can be supplemented with garlic, thyme and rosemary. Citrus fruits are also rich in vitamin C, which helps improve the immune system of any dog. Balance the power of your pet, often take a walk, take long walks in the fresh air. Watch out for the sufficient activity and moral health of the animal. Bacteria often have no chance against a healthy organism.
Danger to humans
Although cystitis in dogs does not seem like a serious or life-threatening illness, you should know that it is still very painful for the animal. In addition, cystitis is a disease that also affects people. In order to protect themselves from infection, it is sufficient to firmly assimilate the primitive rules of personal and family hygiene. Regular washing of hands and avoiding a sick animal to personal hygiene products (towels, bedding, bath without disinfection) should be sufficient.