Potential owners of guinea pigs or those lucky ones who have these cute animals at home, ask themselves: how many guinea pigs live at home? It is impossible to name any particular number, since many factors affect the duration of existence, which we will consider in this article.
The domestic guinea pig is a small but very dedicated animal that lives well in any family. The most important thing is that it is unpretentious and very attached to its owner. There are even known cases when, having caught sight of a person, the animal began to squeak with joy. Their wild ancestors were more lean and mobile than domesticated descendants. There are different breeds, or types of guinea pigs. The main ones are:
They differ mostly in length, coat color or its presence.
How many guinea pigs live at home?
The average lifespan of guinea pigs is 5-8 years. Of course, there are animals that delight their masters more time. To date, the history of the known guinea pig, which has lived for 15 years. It, by the way, is entered in the Guinness Book of Records. What influences this figure and what can the owner of the animal do to prolong its life? Below we will tell about it in more detail.
The cage in which the guinea pig will live must have a solid base. The material can be any. Wire floor is not recommended, as it can damage the paws of the animal. An aquarium for keeping guinea pigs is not suitable, as the air in it is not ventilated. Choose a cage measuring approximately 1.5 square meters per pig. You can put sawdust or hay on the floor, as well as a soft cloth, so that the animal sleeps on it. In pet stores for sleeping, you can buy special containers or use a small potty. In the daytime, the animal loves to play, so its home must be equipped with small cardboard boxes, pendants, tunnels, and it will be happy. Like any cargo, the guinea pig is shy, and frequent stresses can also affect her well-being. Cleaning the cage should be carried out as it is contaminated, as a rule, at least once a week.
How many guinea pigs live at home? For their longevity, an important factor is nutrition. The diet of the guinea pig should be as follows:
- 60% - dry food, mainly hay,
- 20% - solid feed (peas, corn, corn),
- 20% - juicy food (vegetables and greens).
In order for the animal to be comfortable to eat, the bowl must have two compartments: for dry and juicy food. Fresh water should always be in the cage of a guinea pig, and in order for your pet not to overturn the drinker, attach it to the wall.
In addition to keeping the animal in a clean cage, you also need to care for the animal itself, even though they are considered very clean animals. If you have a long-haired guinea pig, then do not be lazy to brush her fur daily so that it does not get confused and does not create discomfort. It is often not necessary to wash the animal, it usually happens as the fur is contaminated, once a week it will be enough. If you suspect a louse or flea in an animal, then immediately contact a veterinary clinic and do not try to remove them yourself.
Let the guinea pig out of the cage every day for at least a few hours so that the animal can run around and play enough. However, be careful and watch all the movements of your pet, otherwise you may be unpleasantly surprised to see the gnawed wires and bitten slippers.
So, now you know how much guinea pigs live at home, and what needs to be done in order for the animal to please you as long as possible.
Diet and feeding
The care that a guinea pig receives is the most important factor in increasing its lifespan, and the bulk of care is to provide it with a healthy and balanced diet. For example, alfalfa-based pellets are not recommended for adult guinea pigs. But at the same time, they are well suited for feeding growing and pregnant guinea pigs, because they contain large amounts of calcium. Timothy-based granules, various herbs, vegetables and fruits are considered more balanced.
Vitamin C is another important element in guinea pig diets. Since they cannot produce their own vitamin C, in order to maintain a healthy form, they need large amounts of it in their diets. Vitamin C is found in some types of granulated feed, as well as in many vegetables, such as carrots or lettuce, but it is important to remember that a lot of vegetables in the mumps diet can cause her stomach upset. As an additional source of vitamin, you can also use special vitamin pills, but remember that they are not recommended to be dissolved in water.
Additional factors affecting health
In addition to food, there are other factors that affect the health and life expectancy of guinea pigs. If their cage is too small, then they will have little space to run. With a lack of activity, their muscles will not receive proper development, and in general, their physical form will be far from healthy. Regular cleaning of the cells also contributes to good and good health.
In case of illness, the owner should immediately contact a veterinarian. Guinea pigs are also recommended to be weighed weekly, as weight loss is the most common and common symptom of a disease or disorder. In addition to weight, other symptoms may include shortness of breath, heavy breathing, sneezing, lethargy, diarrhea, and blood in the urine. Timely attention to these kinds of health problems will certainly increase the possible lifespan of the mumps and allow it to reach its full potential.
Guinea Pigs Description
The guinea pig is a rodent who was domesticated thousands of years ago, characterized by a funny appearance, good natured character, intelligence, sociability and good health. They are unpretentious in content, do not create problems at home and take up very little space. The average weight of an adult individual rarely exceeds a kilogram.
Wild pigs live no more than 8 years, but most often no more than five. This is due to the presence of predators, problems with feed and disease.
In captivity, animals live significantly longer, up to 15 years. There are cases when Kawia lived for 20 and even 25 years. However, many factors depend on how long the guinea pig lives at home. Among them:
- Presence of diseases
- Proper feeding
- Tribal use,
- Proper care.
- The effect of breed on life
Today, breeders received more than 80 species of cavia. Breeds differ in appearance, color, character, focus on the person, wool or lack thereof. Many think that the differences are over.
However, there is another important point - it depends on the breed and how long the animal lives.
Fewer years will rejoice their owner hairless guinea pigs. They were obtained by long crossing within the same type, as a result of which not only recognizable appearance, but also weak immunity was fixed. The first animals rarely lived to four years, but today, thanks to the partial inflow of blood of ordinary pigs, their life expectancy has increased to six years. However, in order for a skinny to live a long life, he needs certain permanent conditions of detention. The temperature in the room where the cell is located should not be less than + 22 or more + 25 degrees. The skin of the animal is equally susceptible to both cold and heat. Too dry air can cause peeling and cracking of the skin, and too wet leads to the appearance of fungi, depriving and other skin diseases.
The life span of the Abyssinian and Curley guinea pigs is also not long and is about 7 years. This is also connected with genetics and the characteristics of animal breeding. They are quite demanding to care and often subject to various diseases. Smooth sateen and Dalmatian guinea pigs will please their owner for about eight years.
Peruvians, as well as teddy, self, agouti, rex and alpacas are distinguished by good health and unpretentiousness and live much longer - from 10 years.
The effect of disease on life
How many guinea pigs live at home is directly related to their health. The most frequent problems and diseases that threaten the life of the animal include:
- Skin and intestinal parasites,
- Diseases of the cold
- Diseases of the stomach and intestines,
Avoiding the disease is much easier than curing. Most diseases result from improper feeding or violation of quarantine and housing conditions. Often the cause of the death of a young animal is the injury resulting from a jump, fall or careless handling of the host. If a guinea pig is properly observed and cared for, the animal will live a long time.
At the first symptoms of indisposition, you should immediately consult a doctor and not self-medicate.
Only an experienced specialist on the results of tests can make the correct diagnosis and suggest treatment options for the disease.
Impact of living conditions on life
How long a guinea pig will live is largely dependent on the care and conditions of detention. The animal needs a spacious cage, which is placed in a shaded place, away from heating appliances, a fan and direct sunlight. Feeding troughs and drinkers as well as a shelter house must be located in the cage. Regardless of the size of the cage, the animal must walk in freedom - movement favorably affects the work of the whole organism. In the summer months, guinea pigs can be taken for a walk outside using a special harness. However, before walking, it is necessary to treat the animal with special droplets from fleas and ticks. Also, the breeder should be aware of the regular prevention of intestinal parasites. What not to do is vaccinations. The immunity of the guinea pig is quite strong and, with proper maintenance, does not need additional preparations.
You should also avoid any water treatments. Bathing for Cavia is a lot of stress. Another disadvantage is that the wool of the animal dries out for a very long time and there is a big risk of catching a cold.
For a long and happy life, an animal needs a balanced and nutritious diet. It should be remembered that the guinea pig is a herbivore animal. Most of the diet should consist of vegetable and fresh feed: fruits, vegetables, fresh grass and hay, twigs of trees and shrubs, germinated grain, root crops. There are special dry feeds for Cavia, but care must be taken with them.
Some breeds of guinea pigs are prone to obesity and the use of such food will lead to many problems.
It is also worth remembering what you can not feed the guinea pigs:
- Any dairy products
- Any meat products
- Any fish products
- Any bird
- Sweet food
- Greasy food
- Very salty food
- Very spicy food
- Any dry feed not intended for guinea pigs.
Buy a guinea pig is best in the nursery. There you can see the conditions of the animal, and get competent advice breeder, and view the pedigree of the animal. If the ancestors of the guinea pig lived for a long time, then the animal of interest has all the chances to live for quite a few years. Another plus is that in the nursery you can make sure that there are no genetic diseases. Sellers in pet stores do not have information about the origin of the animal, as well as other nuances.
Where the guinea pig lives longer - in the wild or in a cage
This is an encyclopedic question that cannot be answered unambiguously for 3 reasons:
- the lifespan depends not only on the habitat conditions: heredity and accidents influence in the same way as the conditions of detention and the presence of enemies in the wild,
- caring owner can extend the duration of existence due to good care
- in the wild, guinea pigs are naturally selected: individuals remain that are less sick, run faster and adapt better.
Parents who buy animals to children are interested in how many guinea pigs live at home, because the pain of losing a beloved pet is the greatest stress for a child. Lifespan depends on breed and care.
How long do guinea pigs of different breeds live
Animals of different breeds live for a different number of years. Breeds formed in the wild have passed natural selection: only the strongest individuals survived. Therefore, such rodents live to 10-12 years.
We offer to compare the life expectancy of different guinea pig breeds using the table:
• Sheltie (Silky, Silk)
How to extend the life of a guinea pig
It is considered that those varieties of guinea pigs, which were bred in a selective way, live less. The reason is that breeders were not interested in the health of pets, but in the length, texture of wool, its color - aesthetic characteristics. But numerous owners are ready to argue, because the duration of life depends not only on heredity:
- Conditions of detention: bald animals can live for a dozen years due to careful care: if the owner monitors the air temperature, then there is less risk of getting sick from hypothermia or heat stroke. The litter is regularly changed and the cell is washed out - the probability of infectious, viral diseases is reduced.
- Nutrition: a balanced diet is important so that the pig does not lose weight and does not get fat. You also need to take into account the characteristics of the breed and the time of year. Bald guinea pigs need food to maintain body temperature; therefore, cereals are important. The beauty of long and curled wool depends on vitamins - emphasis on vegetables. In winter, the animals need more energy, so they feed them more densely. In summer, the ration density is reduced by 10-15%: food digests longer due to the fact that pets are warm.
- Diseases: the danger is not in the diseases themselves - it is important to notice the first symptoms in time. Therefore, close contact with the guinea pig, games and strokes help in time to determine that the animal is bad.
There is a lot of information in the network that the record of guinea pig life is 15 years. But in general, nothing is said about how this was done. And the whole secret is that they scrupulously cared for her. Want your guinea pig to live longer? - Bookmark this site so that useful articles are always at hand.
average life expectancy
Unlike other rodents living for 2-3 years, guinea pigs are considered long-livers, which bribe future owners.
Small animals originated in the countries of South America, gained popularity around the world after the visit of Europeans who moved them to other continents. Numerous breeding work, which allowed to bring new species, reduced the natural life expectancy. The pig living in the wild can live for up to 10 years. In this case, the duration depends entirely on the external environmental conditions (climate, predators), so it can be 5 times lower.
At home, guinea pigs live from 5 to 7 years.
The lifespan depends on many factors, most of which are due to proper care.
IMPORTANT! The age record was set by an English rodent, which was a little less than 15 years old (it was not enough for 2 months).
Such pets require careful grooming and in average live about 5-6 years. These include:
- Peruvian. It features a maximum hair length and obligatory bangs covering the eyes.
- Rosette (Abyssinian). Freakish growth of wool is characterized by a multi-directional arrangement, forming curls with clear boundaries ("rosettes"). For animals, appearing at exhibitions, it is important the number of these curls (loses the owner of a smaller number).
- Sheltie It is similar to Peruvian, but has a peculiar combing on the head (the fur is located in the opposite direction).
- Coronet The long-haired result of a cross between a sheltie and a christened, distinguished by a “crown” of wool.
Owners of short wool have a wide color palette, do not imply complex care and able to live up to 8 years. These include:
- Crested White wool "rosette" on the head takes the form of a "crown".
- American One of the most popular species of animal with short hair. The classic version with a smooth, shiny coat that does not have "rosettes" or "crowns".
- Texel. Волоски имеют вьющуюся структуру и склонны к частым спутываниям, поэтому предполагают более тщательный уход, чем у других представителей этой группы.
- Гималайская. Редкая порода с уникальным окрасом сиамской кошки. Несмотря на отсутствие официального признания, расцветка обрела популярность, что сказалось на конечной стоимости.
- Королевская («рекс»). It has no guard hairs, but has dense and elastic fur.
- American teddy. Thick coat has a chocolate or light sand color and consists of hard hair.
Hypoallergenic breeds of bald rodents, derived from the work of dermatologists, live about 5 years (in rare cases, the mark comes to 8). These include:
- Skinny Wool is present only on paws and face.
- Baldwin. Possess elastic skin devoid of hair follicles. The newborn animal is distinguished by the presence of a fur coat that disappears a couple of months after its birth.
Among the presented breeds of guinea pigs, the short-haired live longer, which is explained by the simplicity of care and the absence of specific gene diseases.
IMPORTANT! It is necessary to give the post to breeders. Through hard work, they were able to achieve an increase in the average life expectancy of bald breeds. Initially, such pets differed weak immunity, reducing the maximum age to the level of other small rodents (hamsters, rats).
Conditions of detention
At home, the animal is cramped in activity, so it is important to maintain and stimulate its physical activity. For this you will need:
- spacious cage or terrarium (40x30 cm for 1 mumps), providing freedom of movement,
- a set of constructions for games (tunnels, packages, socks and other popular toys), bringing not only physical but also moral satisfaction,
- periodic walking, allowing you to stretch your legs over a larger area in a home or on the street.
For pet health, it is important to follow:
- the state of his coat, preventing the formation of mats, loss of color and loss,
- the number of bathings, resorting to washing only when necessary and using special hypoallergenic shampoos (be sure to dry the animal with a hair dryer after bathing to avoid hypothermia),
- quality litter, avoiding questionable or improper fillers according to individual criteria,
- health of eyes and ears, cleaning them from accumulated dirt and checking their general condition,
- length of teeth, filing them at the vet as necessary (excessive length can be fatal due to starvation),
- claws, shortening them with a nail clipper in case of impossibility of self-grinding,
- temperature conditions while swimming (not
IMPORTANT! It is possible to check the conformity of the declared and the real age of the animal by measuring the weight. Monthly animal weighs about 0.5 kg. At 1 year and 3 months, the maximum rates reach 1 kg for females and 2 kg for males, and the minimum - 0.7 kg and 1 kg, respectively.
Due to the rapid development of a pet, 1 year of his life in relation to a person is about 10-15 years. Consider how many years you can give a guinea pig, if you count by human standards on the example of the following table.