The physiology of all cats, regardless of the breed, is subject to the same laws of nature, which state that at a temperature of 42 degrees in the body starts the irreversible process of protein coagulation. And the differences in thermoregulation in long-haired Maine Coons, short-haired British and bald sphinxes are due to objective reasons.
The normal temperature in adult cats is in the range of 38 to 39 degrees. In healthy kittens, it should be half a degree higher, from 38.5 to 39.5 degrees: the babies grow quickly, the cells in their bodies divide at an accelerated pace. But deviations from these indicators do not always indicate the disease: cats can react to cold, heat, stress. And during active games, the temperature background also rises. However, if the owner noticed that the animal's behavior has changed - the look has become “absent”, the cat has become sluggish or aggressive, refuses to eat and socialize, sleeps more than usual - it's time to measure the temperature. If the problem is really serious, the success of treatment will depend entirely on the timely start of treatment.
The following medical devices are used to control the temperature in cats:
- Digital Thermometer,
- mercury thermometer
- infrared ear thermometer.
All the above devices have their own characteristics. Thus, the results of a mercury thermometer used for rectal temperature measurement in the rectum are considered the most accurate, but the process itself takes a longer time. An electronic thermometer does the job faster, but its results are less accurate. Measuring with an infrared ear thermometer is more tranquil for the cat, but if at this moment there is some inflammation in the auricle, then the instrument's indicators will have an error.
For rectal measurement, Vaseline or liquid paraffin must be applied to both the mercury and electronic thermometers. Other oils can not be used: cats have very delicate skin and a high propensity for allergies to various substances. Given the anxiety of the sick animal, it is preferable to use an electronic thermometer. A frightened cat mercury thermometer can simply knock the owner out of the hand, which is fraught with dangerous contamination of the apartment if the glass thermometer flask breaks.
In cats, there are such natural conditions in which the veterinary recognizes a short-term increase or decrease in temperature to normal. After sterilization, an elevated temperature of 39.5 degrees can be maintained for several days. Sterilization is an abdominal operation, and during this period the so-called inflammatory mediators are activated in the body, which is a protective reaction of the body to an alien invasion. But if this temperature lasts more than five days, the cat must be shown to the vet.
Pregnancy and childbirth also make their own adjustments. Two days before the birth, the temperature of the cat can reach only 37 degrees. One day before lambing, it sometimes drops to 36.8 degrees and is considered normal. A day after birth, the temperature should rise to the level of 37.5-39.2 degrees. But if the results of thermometers are very different from the norm up or down - this is the reason for going to the veterinarian. High temperature signals an inflammatory process, low indicates weakness and exhaustion of the body. In both cases, urgent intervention is necessary and an accurate diagnosis.
If a cat for low temperature does not have a “good reason” in the form of preparation for childbirth, it must be immediately shown to the veterinarian. But it is not always possible to immediately go to the veterinary clinic: it does not work at night or the owner and the sick pet at that moment were at the dacha. Before receiving a veterinarian, you should try to raise the temperature yourself to normal levels, using the available tools - a heating pad or a plastic bottle with warm water, putting it on the cat's back. It is impossible to apply heating elements to the stomach: since the diagnosis has not yet been made and the exact cause of the disease has not been determined, the effect of heat on the internal organs should be avoided. To enhance the warming effect, the animal should be wrapped with a blanket, towel or blanket.
If the cat has the same conditions (night, the veterinary clinic does not work or the cat suddenly became ill at the dacha) the temperature suddenly rose to 39.9 degrees, then it must be urgently reduced. Recommendations to apply ice to the neck and thighs and wipe the fingertips with acetic or alcohol solution can also be used, but it is still much more effective to resort to injections.
Ideally, you should have a special cat kit at home with drugs that may be needed in an emergency. Advice on the selection of necessary drugs can be obtained from the veterinarian at any scheduled examination.
But in case of emergency, you can use the contents of an ordinary family medicine chest. Opinions of veterinarians on this issue are controversial, but with a sharp rise in temperature above 39.9 degrees, many people advise intramuscular injection of such drugs as no-shpa, diphenhydramine and analgin in equal proportions of 0.01 milliliter (one hundredth milliliter) of each drug. The amount of each medicine corresponds to the smallest division of an insulin syringe with a volume of 1 milliliter.
A sick cat needs to be shown to a doctor, because a high or low body temperature is just a symptom behind which serious diseases can be hidden. Low temperatures often signal a kidney problem, and high temperatures indicate an acute bacterial or viral infection and even oncology.
And a little about the secrets.
The story of one of our readers Irina Volodina:
My eyes were especially frustrating, surrounded by large wrinkles plus dark circles and swelling. How to remove wrinkles and bags under the eyes completely? How to cope with swelling and redness? But nothing is so old or young man as his eyes.
But how to rejuvenate them? Plastic surgery? I found out - no less than 5 thousand dollars. Hardware procedures - photorejuvenation, gas-liquid pilling, radio lifting, laser facelift? Slightly more accessible - the course is 1.5-2 thousand dollars. And when to find all this time? Yes, and still expensive. Especially now. Therefore, for myself, I chose another way.
Temperatures in cats are normal.
What is the normal temperature for baleen pets? Normal indicators of body temperature in cats are very variable.
- On average, the limit is considered to be 37-38 ° С.
- But under certain conditions, this limit shifts somewhat - 37.5-38.5 ° C. But this is the exception rather than the rule.
- The temperature of 39 ° C should be alerted.
The temperature indicator is affected by:
- Health condition - in sick animals, the temperature always begins to fluctuate in one direction or another, which is different from the norm. In healthy - is kept in one limit.
- Physiological condition — During sleep, the temperature is considered to be around 37 ° C, since vital processes are reduced due to the lack of need for energy production. In pregnant cats, normal body temperature is slightly higher than that of cats in the normal state. In moments of games and after eating, the temperature rises slightly due to the active production of internal energy. It is also proved that small cats have a temperature higher than large ones.
- Age — Older animals have a slightly lower body temperature than younger animals, but this only speaks of slowing metabolic processes with age, and not of pathologists. In kittens, the indicators are higher than in adults due to an unformed system of thermoregulation (from about 3-4 months of age, the temperature becomes close to adult indicators).
- Floor — Cats are considered somewhat "hot" cats, because usually more active and more mobile.
- Times of Day — In the evening, the temperature usually rises by several points, and in the morning hours it decreases.
Temperature measurement will be easy if you know the details of the procedure. The process itself takes place using the same measuring devices as for humans. It is better if the pet has its own personal tool that will not be used by anybody then.
For thermometry use:
- classic mercury thermometer
- Digital Thermometer,
- electronic rectal thermometer.
It should be noted the advantages of electronic devices for the speed of obtaining the result, which allows less time to deliver discomfort to the pet.
Temperature is measured in the rectum of the animal. The procedure is unpleasant, therefore, it involves fixing the cat to avoid injury from claws and teeth. It is better to carry out the procedure together - one holds, the other conducts the procedure. With the special aggression of the cat, it may be necessary to attract someone third.
To fix the cat to measure the temperature in two ways:
- One person holds the pet's paws and presses to any horizontal surface near the withers, firmly fixing the head by the scruff. It is important not to overdo it, because if you press down hard, the cat will try to escape from this position much more than from the thermometer. Injuries can not be avoided!
- Wrap the cat in a towel or a thick flannel diaper (or any thick piece of cloth), hiding the paws securely. One person holds the resulting bundle, the other takes measurements.
After fixing, the tip of the thermometer is smeared with vaseline or some other kind of fat cream (for example, children’s) and inserted into the rectum of a cat up to a depth of 2 cm large and up to 1 cm to kittens. Electronic measuring instruments are held until the sound signal, mercury classical thermometers - 3-5 minutes.
After extraction, the result is evaluated and the tip must be wiped with a swab moistened with alcohol or any other disinfectant solution. It should be noted, if during the procedure the cat behaves too actively and violently breaks out, the result may be inaccurate with an increase in the index. This is due to the increased release of internal energy and heat.
To measure the temperature more gentle method, you can use thermometers:
- infrared earplug,
- non-contact infrared.
The principle of the first is to determine the temperature, which actively flows to the brain. Those. he picks up heat pulses from the ear. The cat does not feel any discomfort during the procedure. Two disadvantages: 1) cost, 2) wrong result with ear disease.
When measuring with a non-contact device, the cat does not feel anything at all. The device is directed to the cat's body (ideally hairless areas) and immediately get the result. It has measurement errors in the range of 0.2-0.3 ° C compared with the classic mercury "fellow". The disadvantage is the cost of the device itself.
With increasing temperature cat:
- shakes and fevers,
- there is no appetite, and the animal almost does not drink,
- inactive, almost constantly sleeping,
- diarrhea or vomiting with the pungent smell of the contents may occur,
- has a rapid pulse,
- dehydrated (with prolonged fever).
Important: the state of nasal humidity is not an informative indicator of normal or high body temperature!
What does the growth of body temperature indicators indicate:
- viral infection
- bacterial infection
- hidden or overt inflammation in the body,
- worm infestation (if it's a kitten).
- necrotic processes in organs and tissues,
- increased accumulation of salts in the body,
- the introduction of drugs that stimulate brain centers thermoregulation,
- after active games and long running around,
- during pregnancy,
- after eating,
For hypothermia, the cat needs to:
- warm, wrapped in a soft cloth or a blanket of natural threads,
- put on a heating pad or, in its absence, put ordinary plastic bottles with hot water (only you need to ensure that the animal does not burn),
- water any warm drink (water, milk).
Usually, warming up, the cat falls asleep, and, waking up, feels much better. But the visit to the doctor is recommended not to be postponed, because the reason for this condition must be identified.
In case of heat in a cat, it should:
- water it with cool water (not cold) often and in small portions, using a pipette or a syringe without a needle,
- wrap the animal's body with a thin towel or a cloth moistened with cool water or just wet the fur with it,
- on the inner thigh and in the neck to put ice, wrapped in cloth.
When the body temperature rises, the cat should not be given any medications, especially intended for humans.
Important: all known antipyretic from a human first aid kit called paracetamol, for a cat - poison, causing serious fatal poisoning!
After the temperature is slightly reduced (not necessarily immediately to a normal level, most importantly, to a safe one), you need to arrange transportation of the cat to the vet. Most often, a rise in body temperature is caused by viral or bacterial infections, so antiviral and antibacterial therapies effectively normalize the pet's condition.
Owners must know that the conditions described below can lead to the death of a pet:
- fever with a temperature of more than 40.5 ° C leads to dehydration, increases heartbeat and respiratory rate, which, in turn, can provoke a certain degree of heart failure,
- temperature more than 41.1 ° C indisputably leads to swelling of the brain, and also provokes malfunction of the heart (tachycardia or heart palpitations and failures in heart rhythm), respiratory system (shortness of breath, wheezing), gastrointestinal tract (vomiting, diarrhea, Acetone smell from the mouth, intestinal bleeding and skin hemorrhage).
If the question is, take the cat to the veterinary clinic or call the vet home, the answer should be in favor of the clinic. It is possible that the temperature will continue to grow, and the nursery will need a resuscitation procedure, which will be difficult to do in the home.
What does a vet do
When delivering the cat to the veterinarian, a specialist tries to find out the reason for the increase / decrease in body temperature for the appointment of adequate and correct treatment.
- history information is being collected,
- clinical examination is carried out,
- a series of necessary urine and blood tests are appointed,
- ultrasound and x-ray
- if necessary, take a biopsy.
After the diagnosis and finding out the exact cause of temperature fluctuations, treatment is prescribed, which may include:
- antiviral drugs
- anti-inflammatory drugs
- fortifying drugs and vitamin complexes,
- rehydrating (restoring the water-salt balance in the body) and detoxification droppers.
Antipyretics are appointed in the most extreme case when there is a threat to the life of the animal. But usually the therapy started in time that was adequate to the situation during the day, knocks the temperature up (or down).
Be attentive to your pets, watch for any changes in their health status, including fluctuations in body temperature.
The body temperature of cats may depend on:
- individual features of the body,
- body mass
- ambient temperature
- season of the year,
- Times of Day,
- intensity of metabolic processes.
It would seem that even one degree of deviation from the norm is an insignificant difference. But this is only at first glance. For example, for some healthy animals, a temperature of 38-39.3 degrees will be considered normal, and in other cats, this indicator may be an alarming symptom. Therefore, the owners of furry purring should not only provide optimal conditions for the maintenance, proper care, but also know what the temperature should be in a cat in the norm. Ignorance of optimal indicators can lead to disastrous consequences, serious complications in the work of internal organs and systems.
Normal body temperature in cats during the day may vary by 0.5 degrees. In the morning, after waking up, rest, temperature indicators of the body can be lowered. In the evening, the cat is more active, so the figures are slightly increased.
Important! Small three or four month old kittens have a slightly higher body temperature than adult animals, since babies lead a more active lifestyle than older relatives.
Newborn fluffies, on the contrary, are lowered (35-37. 3 degrees) and are restored by two to three months. This is due to the incompletely formed mechanisms of internal thermoregulation. If the temperature is elevated, the veterinarian should conduct a litter examination, prescribe adequate therapy.
It is believed that sphinxes have a higher body temperature. But it is not. Due to the lack of coat, tactile sensations are perceived as higher. При этом у лысых пород норма температуры у кошки такая же, как и у представителей других пород.
Когда нужно измерять температуру кошкам
Имея понятие о том, какая норма температуры у кошки, владельцы смогут определить состояние здоровья домашней любимицы. In case of strong deviations of physiological parameters, if the temperature is raised / lowered, it is very important to take appropriate measures in a timely manner. Therefore, furry pet breeders should know how to measure body temperature correctly.
It is necessary to measure temperature indicators in animals:
- If there are signs of poisoning, intoxication. It is manifested by nausea, vomiting, refusal of food, diarrhea, depression.
- If the cat constantly lies, refuses to participate in outdoor games, inadequately responds to external stimuli.
- The cat has a dry, hot nose, ears.
- There were mucous, catarrhal, purulent discharge from the eyes, nose.
- With a sharp decline, lack of appetite, increased thirst, if the cat refuses to favorite treats.
- In fecal masses, mucus, blood clots, blotches, flakes are noticeable.
- Cat, cat sneezes, coughs, shortness of breath appeared.
- The animal has a chill, fluffy looking for a warm secluded place.
- If the cat dramatically loses weight, mucous anemic, pale, bluish.
Timely monitoring of the cat's body temperature will allow time to identify any deviations in the animal's body. According to the indicators, the veterinarian will be able to make the correct diagnosis, prescribe an adequate effective treatment.
How to measure the temperature of cats
Given the individual characteristics of the body, to know what the body temperature should be normal in a healthy cat, owners should take measurements in the morning and evening during the week. Indicators write in a notebook.
The procedure for measuring temperature is quite complicated and unpleasant for pets. It is carried out in the rectal way. To measure your performance, get a mercurial, electronic rectal thermometer at a beta.
Tip! It is best to carry out the measurement procedure with an assistant. It is very important that the cat is securely fixed.
- Lubricate the tip of the measuring device with petroleum jelly, baby cream. This will facilitate its introduction into the rectum.
- Lock the animal on its side on a flat, firm surface. So that the cat, the cat did not scratch you, you can swaddle her in a diaper, a towel. It is permissible to measure the temperature of the animal in a standing position.
- Hold your head by the scruff of the neck so that the cat will not bite you. Move the tail to the side or lift it high. Make sure the cat does not break out. Talk to the animal in a gentle tone.
- Carefully insert a thermometer into the anus to a depth of two centimeters.
- After three minutes, you can evaluate the results.
After thermometry, disinfect the thermometer with alcohol, encourage the cat with your favorite delicacy. If you carry out the procedure systematically, treat your pet a treat, a cat, a cat will normally perceive thermometry.
To measure the temperature in animals, you can also use modern digital contactless devices.. It is enough to bring the thermometer to the body of the animal for a few seconds. The screen will display the actual temperature of the pet. The error is no more than 0.2 degrees.
Temperature control cats can also be carried out with an infrared ear thermometer. As the name implies, temperature is measured inside the ear. If there is no inflammation of the ears, otodektoz, indicators from the real can be increased by half a degree.
Knowing what the cat should be the temperature is normal, you can avoid serious health problems.
Increased body temperature in cats may be due to:
- overheating, heat stroke,
- the presence of pathogenic flora in the body, provoking viral-bacterial, parasitic diseases, systemic pathologies,
- the development of inflammatory processes
- poisoning, severe intoxication,
- violation in the functioning of internal organs,
- exacerbation of chronic pathologies,
- an excess of salts in the body, which leads to increased protein breakdown, impaired metabolism.
Important! Increased temperature in infectious, viral diseases is a physiological protective and adaptive response. If the cat, the cat suffers from diseases of non-infectious etiology, temperature indicators can also be increased.
Symptoms of hyperthermia:
- lethargy, apathy, drowsiness,
- rapid breathing, shortness of breath,
- violation of digestive processes,
- increased thirst
- rapid pulse, palpitations, high blood pressure,
- cramps, muscle cramps, fever.
A cat, a cat refuse to feed, favorite treats, are in a depressed state. Possible severe vomiting, diarrhea.
Emotional overload, vaccination, taking certain medications, intense exercise can also lead to a short-term increase in overall temperature at the seals. A cat is an animal with a fine psychological organization, so protect your pets from stress.
If the condition of the pet is normal, the cat is active, it feels good, there is no clearly expressed clinical symptomatology, signs of indisposition, but the temperature is elevated, after some time take a repeated measurement.
Causes of hypothermia:
- depression, drowsiness, apathy,
- chills, muscle tremors,
- anemia mucous,
- viral, bacterial diseases for which immunosuppression is characteristic,
- malignant neoplasms,
- pathologies of the cardiovascular, nervous system,
- chronic renal, liver failure,
If the temperature is lowered, the cat will look for secluded, warm places. The cat becomes inactive, depressed. The cat reluctantly reacts to external stimuli, there is a slight shudder. With a significant decrease in physiological temperature parameters (up to 36 degrees), metabolic processes, heart rhythm slow down, pressure decreases. Breathing becomes rare, superficial. The cat is breathing hard, wheezing is heard. Such a condition in veterinary medicine is characterized as a shock, so it is very important to help your pet as soon as possible.
First Aid Pet
Seek help from a veterinarian. To establish the root cause of hyperthermia, to determine why the temperature is elevated, the cat feels bad, only a qualified specialist can after a comprehensive diagnosis.
If the temperature is very high, the cat, the cat feel bad, before the arrival of the veterinarian, visiting the veterinary clinic, in order to alleviate the condition of the fluffy, dampen the fur slightly with cool water. To the inner thigh, apply a cold compress, ice cubes on the neck, neck. The cat should be placed in a cool place. Provide plenty of drink. If the cat refuses to drink water, pour a small syringe into the animal's mouth with a syringe without a needle.
To reduce the temperature, depending on the root cause, four-fingered patients can be prescribed antipyretic drugs in the form of tablets, rectal suppositories, anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, and symptomatic medications.
In hypothermia, if the temperature is lowered, overheat the pet with hot water heaters, wrap the animal with a warm woolen blanket. Cat, the cat should be warm, away from drafts, heating devices. Ensure maximum rest. You can give a warm sweet tea, decoction of chamomile.
If the condition is not normalized, the temperature is lowered, take the pet to the vet clinic. Animals receive oxygen therapy, put in / in infusion with warm solutions. Constant monitoring of temperature indicators is carried out until the general state stabilizes.
After treatment therapy follow all recommendations of the attending veterinarian. Provide proper care. Do not self-medicateif you do not want to aggravate the situation, provoke serious complications. Medical therapy, treatment regimen should appoint a veterinarian.
Normal temperature cats
If the owner had doubts about the state of his pet, you should use a thermometer. The first indicator of the disease should always be the temperature of the cat's body. Norm - from 38 to 39 degrees. You should not resort to such folk omens as a wet nose or sleepy behavior. Not always, these signs indicate a pet's illness.
Increased or decreased thermometer depends on many factors. In this case, the age of the pet, its gender, and the time of year are also important. Like any other animals, the normal body temperature in cats depends on the processes taking place in their bodies. In a dream, their indicators are noticeably reduced, as the minimum of energy is required to maintain this state. During the meal, the cat's body temperature rises to 38.5, but still remains normal. The limit of 39 degrees is reached only in the active state, when the pet jumps and runs a lot. It should immediately be noted that the kittens normal performance is slightly higher than in adult representatives of the species. It is associated with a mobile lifestyle. To ensure the active state of the kittens spent several times more energy, because their organs and systems have not yet strengthened.
It is recommended to measure the temperature of the pet during the day, some time after sleep. The fact is that in the evening the indicators may rise slightly, and in the morning - the opposite.
How to measure?
Before you determine what the temperature of the body in cats, you need to know a few nuances. Measurements are performed only with a mercury thermometer, although some veterinarians allow the use of an electronic analogue. The difference is that the first one shows more accurately, and the second one - much faster, but with errors.
For measurement, a thermometer is introduced rectally. Pet this unexpected initiative of the owners is unlikely to appeal, so it is recommended to carry out the procedure together with an assistant who would keep the animal in a horizontal position. For convenient fixing of paws, a dense sheet or towel will suit. You should also hold the cat's head with your hand, as it may start to bite. In addition, this action will calm the pet: he will feel the warmth of a familiar person. The most effective way to fix an animal is to firmly take it by the scruff of the neck and lightly press it against the horizontal surface (floor, sofa).
Before entering the thermometer, it is necessary to lubricate it with petroleum jelly (any oils are prohibited). The result can be seen after 3 minutes. If the figures are in the range of 38-39 degrees, you can calm down and leave the animal alone. Otherwise, you need to look for the cause of the disease. If the temperature is too high or low, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
In addition to the rectal method, there is one more method of measurement - an infrared ear thermometer. Such a thermometer is ideal for determining the state of a cat at home. He has no contraindications and does not cause negative emotions in the pet. Its norm in degrees is from 37.8 to 39.5. The only drawback of this measurement is that during ear inflammation, the thermometer can show several divisions higher than it actually is.
Hyperthermia in pets
An increase in cat's body temperature can be due to several reasons. First, you should pay attention to the presence of infectious diseases in the pet. Also increase the performance of worms affect. If the kittens have intestinal parasites, then the temperature can reach up to 41 degrees. However, the main cause of hyperthermia is a bacterial imbalance in the body. If temperature indicators are significantly higher than normal, then it is urgent to bring down at least to 39.0. As a result of hyperthermia in cats, the breakdown of protein compounds occurs, as a result of which problems with the heart and other internal organs can begin. The first signs of a lack of vital substances are hair loss and flaking of the skin. Also, at an elevated temperature, the animal's breathing and pulse rate increase. With severe and prolonged hyperthermia, dehydration appears.
To reduce the temperature, you can use ice by applying it to places where there is no wool. It is important that the pet drank a lot and was not located near the heaters. Kittens with pronounced weakness and lack of appetite should pour water with a syringe. Any medications are prescribed only by a veterinarian.
Symptoms and causes of hyperthermia
The main signs that cats have a higher body temperature are a change in their behavior and condition. These symptoms include weakness, constant tremors, poor appetite. In pets with hyperthermia, severe dehydration occurs within 2 days, breathing and heartbeat become more frequent. In rare cases, an animal experiences a state of shock or fear. The reasons for the increase in temperature can be infections, and viruses, and parasites. Most often, it is because of extraneous microorganisms that pets experience acute malaise and hyperthermia. Also, elevated temperature may be the result of impaired metabolism, endocrine system malfunction or the presence of a tumor. Before determining the cause of the onset of hyperthermia, it is necessary to exclude the variants with the animal's response to drugs and supplements.
Hypothermia in cats
Along with increased rates in pets, there are often reduced ones. Such a body temperature in cats can be the result of hypothermia or pathology of the kidneys. Sometimes the causes of hypothermia are complex operations in which anesthesia was used.
At low temperatures, the animals become depressed, lethargic, and seek a secluded place warmer, for example, near the battery. In kittens a disheveled coat, a noticeable shiver and a pale color of mucous membranes can serve as a sign of illness. At home, you can help your pet by warming. However, the process should not last too long. If warming did not produce results, you should contact a specialist.
Temperature in cats before giving birth
During pregnancy, animals rarely have abnormal temperatures. However, a few days before childbirth changes are inevitable. Firstly, it concerns the behavior of the cat, when she begins to set up her place, dragging soft toys, paper and even food into it. Worry in this case for the animal is not worth it. The main thing is to be aware of what the current temperature of the cat's body is. The norm for a couple of days before delivery is 37 degrees.
At this time, the cat's mammary glands swell, and its gait begins to resemble a bear. Behavior can change overnight - from undue anxiety to a gentle purr. A few days before giving birth, an animal may refuse to eat, but you should not worry. The most important thing for the owner at this time interval is to monitor the state of the pet. The normal body temperature in cats per day before lambing can vary from 36.8 to 37.7 degrees. The day after birth, the indicators should not go beyond 37.5-39.2.
Temperature in kittens
The indicators of the smallest representatives of the species often exceed the norm of adult individuals. The fact is that kittens are very active, despite their small age and undeveloped organism. That is why the temperature in cats and kittens can vary by a degree. If in the former, rates up to 39.0 are normal, then in the latter, up to 40.5.
In weakened kittens, the temperature does not exceed 38.0 degrees. On the other hand, too high rates can be even more destructive and lead to death.
Representatives of this breed differ from the others not only in appearance, but also in their internal indicators. For example, the body temperature of sphinx cats can be from 38.5 to 39.5. The situation is similar with newborns. Their performance should be no more than 40 degrees. In general, the norm of kittens of this breed does not differ from the temperature of adult sphinxes. Some owners experience constant excitement, thinking that their pet has hyperthermia, as it is too hot. This opinion is erroneous, since the heat of sphinxes is directly transmitted to a person with a touch. In ordinary breeds, wool interferes with heat exchange.
To determine the temperature deviation from the norm in cats is easy. To do this, it is enough to measure it with an ordinary thermometer.
If there is an increase in body temperature in cats, a biochemical blood test of the pet, a test to determine diseases in the immune system, and urinalysis are recommended to identify the cause.
In difficult cases, veterinarians are sent to the animal on an x-ray or ultrasound of the internal organs.
Body thermometry, or how to measure the temperature of a cat
Many owners are very worried about measuring body temperature in cats in the sense that they have no idea how to do this. This procedure is quite simple and can not cause any difficulties.
To measure the temperature in animals, conventional medical devices are used, the same as in humans. Of course, it is desirable for your pet to have a separate thermometer, which subsequently will not be used by other households. So, in an ordinary pharmacy, you should purchase one of the following thermometers:
- mercury thermometer or, as it is called in common people, "thermometer",
- universal electronic thermometer
- rectal electronic thermometer.
Хотелось бы отметить, что электронным термометром будет пользоваться намного проще, так как измерение с его помощью проводится намного быстрее, чем обычным ртутным градусником.
У всех животных, вне зависимости от их породы и вида, измерение температуры тела проводят в прямой кишке. Of course, everyone understands that the cat will not be able to safely transfer this unpleasant procedure, so it will have to be fixed. One person, with no experience and certain skills, is unlikely to be able to independently carry out such manipulations, especially if the animal is strong enough and aggressive. It is best to measure the temperature in cats together, and in particularly neglected cases - in three.
- For fixing cats, you can use a towel, a small sheet or diaper, in which the animal is wrapped. It is important to ensure that the paws are securely hidden, otherwise it will not be possible to avoid injuries in humans.
- Another fixation option: one person firmly holds the animal by the paws with one hand, and with the other hand holds the head firmly in a fixed state by the scruff. At this time, the second person performs the necessary manipulations.
When fixing with a towel, the head must also be securely fixed. There were cases when the "offended" cat seriously injured a person with his teeth.
Before you enter the thermometer into the rectum, it is smeared with petroleum jelly or any other fat cream. Raise the tail with a hand and gently rotate the thermometer into the anus. It does not cost deep inside, as long as the end of the thermometer goes in completely.
A mercury thermometer should be kept for about 3-5 minutes, while an electronic one should be kept before the beep.
Important! After use, the thermometer must be processed in any disinfecting solution (alcohol, you can use regular vodka, chloramine, caustic soda solution, any household chemicals that have disinfectant properties). If the thermometer is electronic, it will be enough to wipe the end with a cotton swab moistened with an alcohol-containing liquid.
Animal Temperature Measurement Video:
Causes of high temperature
Temperature is an important clinical sign of many diseases. Increasing it usually occurs on the background of a violation of thermoregulation in the cat's body and may be infectious and non-infectious.
Infectious temperature occurs in diseases caused by viruses, pathogenic bacteria or parasites, under the influence of harmful products and toxins.
Non-infectious temperature can be:
- protein origin - arises due to the breakdown products of proteins formed in the body as a result of necrotic processes,
- salt origin - accumulation of salts in the body, which lead to the breakdown of proteins and tissues,
- drug - occurs when substances that stimulate the centers of thermoregulation in the brain are introduced into the body.
An increase in temperature may be accompanied by fever, which happens:
- low-grade (temperature 1 ° C above normal),
- febrile (up to 2 ° С),
- hyperpyretic (up to 3 ° C and above).
Increased temperature may be physiological. So, normally it may slightly increase:
- after physical exertion and prolonged movements,
- while taking food and water,
- during pregnancy.
Signs of fever:
- breathing can be deep and frequent
- increased heart rate
How to bring down the temperature
In any case, when the temperature rises, especially with significant deviations from the norm, the cat should be shown to the veterinarian.
- If the body temperature has risen slightly, then it is not worth shooting down. This process may indicate the inclusion of the body's defenses.
- A significant increase in temperature requires immediate action by the owner. During high temperatures dehydration occurs, which can lead to disastrous consequences for the animal.
To bring down the temperature, it is necessary to carry out the following activities:
- slightly moisten cat fur,
- You can attach ice in the neck, inner thighs,
- provide the cat with plenty of cool water.
Cottage medical antipyretic drugs undesirable, it is better to try to bring down the temperature of the above methods and as soon as possible as possible to seek qualified assistance.
Causes of low temperature
Decreased body temperature in cats can be caused by several reasons. One of the main can be called hypothermia of the animal. Also, such a condition may occur as a result of injuries, prolonged operations, diseases of the nervous and cardiovascular systems, oncological diseases, renal failure.
Signs of low temperature in an animal:
- the cat is trying to find the warmest place
- rolls up into a ball,
- wool may be ruffled,
- tremor appears
- pallor of mucous membranes and skin.
What to do at low temperature
The cat should be placed in a warm place, you can wrap a blanket or impose it with heaters. It is also recommended to provide her with a warm drink.
A significant drop in temperature is a dangerous sign, therefore, it is not recommended to ignore the help of a veterinarian.
Author of the article: Marina Chuprinina, veterinarian, specialization parasitologist-bacteriologist, especially for Kota Obormot.
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription