When a new owner has a pet in the house, many questions arise regarding his health. Many cats face the problem of tearing, especially at a young age. In certain cases, this is considered normal, and sometimes signals problems in the body.
Often this problem is combined with other disturbing symptoms. An animal may have snot, sneezing, coughing and other ailments. To determine the cause of the problems and understand whether treatment is necessary in this case, you need to note all the changes in the behavior of the animal and consult with a specialist.
If a kitten has watery eyes, it is necessary to establish the cause of the ailment, but initially clear the organs of vision. Performing this procedure at home is quite simple. The first time is better to act with an assistant who will hold the animal tightly. It is better to wrap the cat in a towel or blanket, so it is easier to immobilize it and not get injured.
Most often, the following solutions are used for cleansing:
- moderately strong tea, it is better to use green, since the black variety causes dryness of the cornea. It should be leaf and brewed no more than 10-12 hours ago,
- chamomile infusion, it takes 1-2 teaspoons per 200 ml of water, it is enough to insist 10 minutes, then it is necessary to cool the solution and strain thoroughly,
- infusion of calendula, herb hyssop or hypericum, infused in the same dosage,
- furatsilina solution, sold ready or diluted with 2 tablets per cup of boiled water until completely dissolved,
- boric acid solution, 1 teaspoon per 250 ml of water is needed, thoroughly mixed,
- saline solution
- clean boiled water
- drops and special tools, diamond eyes.
Wash your eyes with a cotton swab or gauze, regular cotton wool is not recommended for use, as villi can cause irritation. All manipulations are carried out from the outer to the inner century. First you need to moisten the cat's eyes and the area around them, carefully remove all the accumulated dirt and crusts. After that, the tampon is changed and again plentifully moistened with a solution. It is important that the tampon or gauze is well soaked. This will help reduce discomfort for the cat and avoid injury.
Movement should be carried out easily, without exerting strong pressure. Do not touch the eyeball and use a dry swab for cleansing. After these manipulations, it is necessary to open the cat's eye, drip the solution inside and bring the eyelids together. This will process the entire inner surface. After the end of the pet procedures, it is better to regret or treat your favorite food.
The procedures will allow only for a while to clear the eyes of the animal. If tearing is caused by physiological signs, then it is necessary to carry out manipulations daily until the symptoms disappear. If the cat has any other causes of heavy tearing, you need to find out and fix them. This requires a separate treatment plan depending on the problem. Diagnose and prescribe drugs can veterinarian after examination and test results.
This problem often occurs in cats of various breeds. At a young age, this is sometimes the norm, especially if the kitten is weaned too early from the mother. The little pet still does not know how to carefully care for itself, which leads to increased tearing and accumulation of dirt. In this case, he needs the daily help of the host.
Some pedigreed cats suffer from narrowing of the tear duct; this is considered normal at the age of 2 years. The lacrimation disappears after the kitten's skull is finally formed. Most often, the problem arises in a British or Persian pet, a Scottish Fold cat. It is very important to monitor the general condition of the animal and its eyes, regularly treating them. If a British or animal of a different breed has other symptoms, it is necessary to contact a specialist immediately. Scotsman and other cats with a high risk of developing abnormalities undergo surgery if the problem is not resolved before the age of 2 years.
Normally, a kitten's eyes should look wet, and discharge from them may occur after sleep. At the rest of the time, tearing should not be. The appearance of heavy discharge from the eye indicates a problem with which the animal cannot cope on its own.
Cats often suffer from allergies, which causes severe watery eyes. Other symptoms occur, the animal suffers from nasal discharge, sneezing, less often from coughing. The causative agent of the problem is pollen, chemistry, aerosols, drugs and much more. The veterinarian will be able to establish exactly, and he will help you choose an antihistamine.
Treatment in this case includes the care of the pet's eyes, the use of drugs and the maximum protection of the animal from the pathogen. Allergy cats are often recommended suprastin, the dosage is a quarter tablet, use 1 time per day. Still applied Tavegil, Claritin, Pipolzin, diphenhydramine. All drugs are used only after the appointment of a specialist and an individual dose calculation.
Cats often have this problem, mote, dust and other foreign particles get into their eyes. Pet can damage the eye with grass, branch, during a fight or game. All this is accompanied by a strong tearing, sometimes the discharge takes on a brown color, which indicates infection. It is best to contact a specialist, but it is not always possible to do this in the near future. It is possible to provide first aid to an animal at home, following certain rules.
- 1. If the cat's eye is tightly closed, you cannot open it yourself for processing, so you can cause even more damage. Processing is done very carefully and only on the area around the organ of vision.
- 2. In case of usual lacrimation, it is necessary to examine the cat's eye for a foreign body. You can remove it using abundant washing, using a pipette or a syringe without a needle, you need to keep at a safe distance from the eyeball (at least 1-1.5 cm). After cleansing, use tetracycline ointment 1% before visiting the vet. Ointment should be carefully put under the upper eyelid of the pet, it will be evenly distributed from blinking.
- 3. It is not always possible to notice the wound yourself, therefore, in the absence of external signs of damage, you just need to treat the eye with a solution. If there are no other warning signs, but tearing continues, tetracycline ointment of 1% is used.
- 4. After injury, swelling or enlargement of the eye often occurs, the animal fails to close the eyelids to the end, which causes dryness of the cornea. In this case, you need to regularly drip clean boiled water, the temperature should not exceed 36. 6 degrees. Sometimes treatment is required almost every 5-7 minutes, you need to contact the clinic immediately.
- 5. When you change the color of the discharge to dark, you need to clean the cat's eyes and contact a specialist. This is due not only to damage, but also to many other diseases that require complex treatment.
Proper pet eye hygiene avoids many problems. Inflammations are often caused by the ingress or accumulation of dirt. Timely cleansing of the organs of vision in an animal can relieve from complications and long-term treatment.
Serious diseases often have many manifestations: in addition to discharge from the eyes, the cat often flows from the nose, it sneezes. Pet may refuse to eat, becomes lethargic and sedentary. To help the animal will only get a specialist who will identify the exact cause and prescribe a treatment plan. Tearing in a kitten results:
- infections of various kinds,
- the presence of parasites.
Most often, cats are exposed to conjunctivitis, the disease develops gradually, but with complications affects other organs, except visual. Treatment begins with washing the eyes with a cleansing solution and contacting a specialist. The doctor will prescribe the most effective drug, you can save the animal from the disease at home. Prescribed drugs with antibiotic content:
Silver supplements are used for additional therapy, for example, Cliny Cleansing Eye Lotion. Therapy should cover both eyes, even if one of them is healthy. Self-medication with such a diagnosis may aggravate the condition of the animal. The disease has various pathogens, depending on which drugs are selected.
Excessive discharge from the eyes often signals the presence of parasites in the body. You can verify this by analyzing pet feces for worms. They are treated with anthelmintic drugs:
The specialist may prescribe other drugs. When getting rid of the main cause of tears and other ailments, the symptoms themselves disappear. During the treatment period, the pet's eyes require careful attention, regular washing and disinfection.
Malaise in a pet occurs due to problems in the gastrointestinal tract. The cause may be animal feed, accumulation of wool in the stomach, and other abnormalities. It is possible to establish the exact cause only after the examination. Most often, it is recommended to change the feed to a higher quality and pribiotics:
Bright light from fluorescent lamps causes strong discharge from the eyes, especially in kittens. The problem is solved by changing the lighting. This is the most innocent cause of illness in a pet.
Epiphora disease is characterized by a strong tearing, the amount of discharge is much higher than normal, traces remain even on the buccal region of the animal's muzzle. It occurs due to disturbances in the work of the lacrimal system (narrowing of the canals, tear plugs, etc.) and anatomical features of the animal or developmental pathologies (absence of tear points, etc.). The cause can be infections, mechanical stress, chemical burns, glaucoma, irritation, inflammation and even abnormal growth of eyelashes. The disease is characterized by:
- wet hair in the area around the eyes,
- clumps of brown in the corners of the eyes,
- itching, the kitten is brushing its face,
- traces of tears that have a brown or red hue.
Treatment of this disease begins after determining the cause of its occurrence. This can only be done by a veterinarian. In some cases, the situation cannot be rectified at all, especially if the illness appears due to a serious pathology.
Many pet health problems can be prevented if you follow simple rules for care and maintenance. The eyes of the cat can signal many ailments, therefore, require care and attention from the owner of the pet.
It is very important to monitor the cleanliness of the organs of vision in a kitten and regularly wash them with special solutions. You can make them yourself at home or buy ready-made at the pharmacy or pet store. For inflammation or other disturbing symptoms, show the animal to a specialist. Treatment of the disease at an early stage of development is much easier, and properly selected drugs can reduce its duration.
The animal must be protected from bright lighting, household chemicals and various aerosols. It is necessary to perform cleaning and other manipulations with similar substances in the absence of a cat, isolating it in another room. Even the use of toilet water causes irritation or an allergic reaction, especially if the pet is very small. Careful attention and care of the owner will allow the cat to avoid many health problems.
And a little about the secrets.
The story of one of our readers Irina Volodina:
My eyes were especially frustrating, surrounded by large wrinkles plus dark circles and swelling. How to remove wrinkles and bags under the eyes completely? How to cope with swelling and redness? But nothing is so old or young man as his eyes.
But how to rejuvenate them? Plastic surgery? I found out - no less than 5 thousand dollars. Hardware procedures - photorejuvenation, gas-liquid pilling, radio lifting, laser facelift? Slightly more accessible - the course is 1.5-2 thousand dollars. And when to find all this time? Yes, and still expensive. Especially now. Therefore, for myself, I chose another way.
Tearing in cats - what is the reason
An animal has watery eyes - this symptom always indicates a disease. Harmless factors are only a small morning discharge from the eyes and the physiological features of some feline breeds, expressed in the constant moisture of the eyeball.
A kitten has watery eyes - the reasons:
- Norm. In normal condition, domestic cats have a little watery eyes in the morning. These secretions in the corners of the eyes should be cleaned with wet cotton swabs or discs. Natural tears are completely harmless and safe.
- Cold. The kitten sneezes and her eyes are watering. This symptom indicates the hypothermia of the animal and the occurrence of a cold. Viral diseases can cause not only coughing and sneezing, but also runny nose and lacrimation in cats.
- Inflammation. Violation of hygiene rules leads to the fact that a kitten's eyes become inflamed and watery. The owner should take care of the pet's eyes daily and treat it with eye drops.
- Infection. If a kitten's watery eyes, many veterinarians associate this symptom with infectious diseases, at the initial stage manifested by conjunctivitis. Among them are chlamydia, toxoplasmosis, herpes and mycoplasmosis. They are dangerous not only for animals, but also for humans.
- Allergy. When a kitten's eyes are flowing, this condition may indicate an allergic reaction in the pet. Irritants can be many - food, pollen, dust, household chemicals, tray filler, odors and much more.
- Damage. A kitten has watery eyes! The host should carefully examine the organs of vision of the animal. A common cause of tearing can be an injury, a bruise or contact with foreign objects in the eyes - dirt, wool, food, fluids, and so on.
- Age. Eyes get watering from a kitten if taken away from a mother cat at an early age. This problem often concerns small kittens with weak immunity. To strengthen the body, pets need good nutrition and vitamins, and to protect against diseases - timely vaccination.
To answer the question why your kitten has watery eyes, can a competent vet. He will prescribe treatment for the animal, based on the diagnosis.
A kitten has a watery eye, what to do
Why do kittens have watery eyes? Eye diseases are the answer to this question.:
- congenital obstruction of the lacrimal canal provokes decay and for tears,
- one eye is watering in kittens that have not undergone deworming,
- when the animal's eyes are covered with a film and watery - this indicates keratitis, inflammation of the cornea,
- clouding of the eye and tearing of it speak of a cataract,
- an increase in pressure in kittens may be accompanied by the flow of tears.
The veterinarian will help you understand all these signs, a specialist will prescribe an analysis - flushing the conjunctiva and tell you how to get rid of the disease.
Treatment of tearing in cats
Cleanliness is a guarantee of health, the eyes of cats need regular cleansing. In case of reddening, it is necessary to purchase special eye drops - levomycetin, sofradex, kanamycin, tsiprolet. They relieve inflammation and relieve discomfort.
A list of warning signs when a pet needs to be shown urgently to a specialist.:
- The pet has a red eye and watery.
- Eyes and swollen eyelids flow.
- Tearing and photophobia.
- The kitten is lethargic, does not eat well, and has watery eyes.
- External eye changes - film, clouding, discoloration and so on.
- The hair around the eyes of the animal changed color.
A kitten has watery eyes - the cause of the disease. It is better to treat any complex disease at the very beginning, then unpleasant consequences can be avoided.
The causes and methods of disruption
Harmless factors are minor morning discharge from the eyes for physiological reasons, as one of the ways to moisturize the eyeball. What else can affect the tearing of a kitten - how to eliminate such a violation:
- If the cause of tearing is dirt or a speck, then you should rinse your eyes thoroughly with running water and the problem will be eliminated.
- With a weakened immunity, when the mother has left the kittens - the adjustment of nutrition with immunostimulating preparations is required.
- Allergy to dust, flowers, plants, toys - contact a veterinarian to determine the cause of discharge from the eyes, to eliminate an allergic focus.
- Conjunctivitis develops as a symptom of an infectious disease, while the eyes turn red and swollen, and blood vessels appear. Treatment at the vet.
- Parasitic infection - It is important to establish the appearance of the helminth, and then go through an anti-parasitic course. The name and dosage of the drug will prompt an experienced doctor.
- Простуда, дополнительные симптомы – кашель, чихание, питомец отказывается от пищи, становится вялым, только спит и пьет воду. Потребуется лечение у специалиста.
- Глазные заболевания – катаракта, если хрусталик зрачка стал белым. Without a specialist can not do.
- The eyes may water due to the characteristic feature of the breed - a deformed nasolacrimal duct due to a flattened nose. These are Persians, British, exotics. In this case, it is important every day to wash the eyes of the pet, carefully monitor the hygiene in the eyes, nose, mouth.
If the kitten has conjunctivitis, then it is necessary to wash the eyes with a weak solution of furatsilina or potassium permanganate, you can use decoctions of medicinal plants - sage, chamomile.
All manipulations are carried out from the outer eyelid to the inner, movements are carried out without pressure. When a bacterial lesion is instilled into the eyes of a special solution. After giving the pet a tidbit of food.
Cats often suffer from allergies, histamines are used to treat the symptom of tearing — Suprastin (the fourth part of the tablet 1 time per day), and Tavegil, Claritin, Dimedrol are also used. Appointed by a specialist, taking into account the patient's condition.
With a heavy tearing, it is important to look at the foreign object. Remove it with abundant water, after cleansing the eyes, use tetracycline ointment 1%. Carefully put on the pet's upper eyelid and go to the vet.
After injuring the eye of an animal, it is difficult to close the eyelids, which leads to excessive dryness of the cornea. In such a situation it is useful to drip boiled warm water into the eye, to treat the damaged area every 5 minutes. Be sure to contact the clinic for further treatment.
With infectious diseases it is better not to delay, you will need a course of antibiotics, vaccination, careful hygiene of the eye area. A veterinarian may prescribe one of the antibiotics:
For additional therapy, anti-inflammatory drops will be required, for example, Clini Cleansing Eye Lotion. The causative agent can be of different nature, and therefore it is impossible to do without diagnostic measures and a specialist visit.
This is a kind of strong watery eyes that appears in the process of oxidation of brown peel in air. Allocations exceed the norm, the disease is characterized by moisture in the hair in the eye area, clusters of brown in the corners of the eyelids, itching, burning, traces of tears of a dark color.
In this case, it is important to establish the cause of the violation - damage to the tearing canal, anatomical features, pathologies of the organs of vision. Treatment is prescribed only by the attending doctor, after properly selected therapy, the disease passes.
To avoid a tearing in a kitten, it is enough to follow a number of simple preventative rules:
- Daily care for the eyes, wash them with warm water or a special preparation "Diamond eyes",
- Alternatively, wipe your eyes once a day with a clean cloth moistened with water,
- When treating any diseases, strictly observe the dosage of therapeutic drugs, do not interrupt the course of treatment.
In case of damage to the eyes, it is imperative to seek help from a veterinarian in order to avoid serious complications, including loss of vision.
Take care of your animals and be in a great mood!
The causes of the disease in cats
A cat has watery eyes for various reasons. This may be a physiological feature of a pedigree animal, morning tears, age, allergic or pathological process.
The most common causes of pathological tearing in domestic cats:
- catarrhal and viral diseases,
- parasitic infection of the body,
- allergic reactions to a specific provocateur,
- infectious processes in the nasopharynx,
- abnormal development of the visual organs,
- ophthalmic diseases,
- thermal and chemical burn,
- bacterial, fungal infection.
To find out exactly the pathological cause of tearing eyes in your pet, you must contact the veterinary clinic.
Symptoms of natural tearing
First of all, it should be noted that a small tearing in animals is the physiological norm that does not require therapeutic intervention. This feature is particularly relevant for some breeds: Persian, British and Scottish.
Strongly bulging eyes, a short tear channel and long hair contribute to tearing. Such pets need to provide proper hygienic care for the eyes, which provides for regular washing with diluted saline or decoction of medicinal herbs.
Pets of other breeds may also have a non-pathological tearfulness in their eyes, which can be determined by the following symptoms:
- you should not worry if your cat has a watery eye without visible injuries and cloudiness,
- there are no painful signs and swelling,
- no additional purulent discharge,
- the animal does not feel discomfort, does not rub eyes, do not squint, etc.,
- the pupil responds well to light,
- healthy brilliant color of the cornea.
Often, you can see a tear in your pet in the morning. Such a symptom is not a sign of an inflammatory process, but has a completely natural reaction of the body upon awakening.
Thus, the eyes of a cat self-cleaning to improve the work of the lacrimal glands. A caring owner can wash the cat's eyes with ordinary boiled water or herbal decoction (chamomile or calendula).
It is also important to pay attention to tearing eyes in small pets. During the first days of life, the kitten has closed eyes. During teething, there is abundant tearing, which is a natural process.
However, in order to prevent the penetration of infection and the development of the inflammatory process, it is necessary to regularly wash the eyes of the animal with clean, warm water. Hygienic procedure will benefit your furry baby!
Symptoms of painful tearing
A kitten has watery eyes, what to do? First of all, try to figure out the cause. To determine the pathological nature of tearing the eyes of an animal can be on the following grounds:
- the eye festers, swells, reddened, swelling is noticeable,
- there is profuse tearing,
- there was asymmetry of the pupils,
- the color of the iris has changed
- poor pupil reaction to light,
- visible injuries, bleeding, foreign bodies are present,
- marked purulent discharge,
- a painful crust or turbid film formed on the visual organs,
- there are specific signs of morbidity (general deterioration, loss of appetite, restless behavior, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.),
- irritated cornea,
- it hurts the cat to squint his eyes, it is clear that he is experiencing painful discomfort.
All these signs should not be ignored. A trip to an experienced veterinarian will allow you to find out the exact cause of the disease process. After a visual inspection and diagnostic study, the specialist will select an effective treatment regimen.
Treatment of tearing eyes in a cat
So, we found out why the domestic cat has watery eyes, and now we will find out what treatment methods are relevant in each particular case.
Veterinary pharmacies sell special products for the treatment of tearing eyes in animals. However, choosing a drug at random is unacceptable, it is necessary to take into account the exact cause of the pathology, the age of the pet and other important nuances. We strongly recommend not to self-medicate, but to provide all necessary assistance to a pet only on doctor's prescription!
What drugs can be used to treat tearing in cats without an appointment:
- A weakly concentrated solution of 0.2% furatsilina is an excellent antiseptic used to treat conjunctivitis.
- Aqueous solution of levomycetin for eye instillation in the event of bacterial damage.
- To reduce the pain syndrome, you can inject Novocain with hydrocortisone solution (the dosage is selected based on the weight of the animal).
- If a cat’s tearing is caused by a foreign object, it is necessary to wash the eyes with a cotton swab moistened with 8.5% sodium chloride in combination with an anesthetic.
You can also use special solutions of antibacterial action, medicinal ointments for laying in the eyelid and hormonal agents necessary for the treatment of allergic tears. Drip eyes special drops need after washing.
If you notice that your pet cat has one water eye, be sure to show it to the vet. Such a symptom may mean parasitic infection or ophthalmologic pathology. Treatment in this case is prescribed only after a comprehensive study, including the delivery of laboratory tests.
For tears of an allergic nature, preparations are prescribed for internal use of corticosteroid and antihistamine groups. Such treatment should be carried out only as prescribed by a doctor.
Use caution in the treatment course of antibiotics. These drugs can cause adverse reactions that are very unfavorable for your fluffy friend.
If you decide to carry out the treatment yourself, without prior examination by a doctor, carefully monitor the condition of the pet and monitor the effectiveness of the therapy. If after 2-3 days after the treatment, you did not notice any improvement, contact your veterinarian!
Drugs to eliminate the disease
Medicines for the treatment of watery eyes in domestic cats:
- tetracycline ointment,
- Bars drops,
- "Diamond eyes",
- ointment Levomitsetinovaya,
- solution of 2% boric acid,
- "Tsiprovet" and others.
Detailed appointments are issued by the attending physician, taking into account the severity of the symptoms and the reason that provoked such an unpleasant process. It is necessary to carry out all recommendations responsibly, it will allow in the fastest time to save your beloved pet from painful tearing.