Blood in the urine of a cat is a serious problem that requires an urgent visit to the veterinarian. This phenomenon is called hematuria. The owner must be exactly what the bleed of his pet may appear as an admixture of blood, and what kind of first aid a cat should receive. Leaving hematuria without treatment is strictly forbidden, since without receiving urgent help, in many cases the cat is doomed to death. For a correct diagnosis requires a comprehensive examination. Based on its results, therapy will be selected.
Causes of blood
The causes of the appearance of pathology are many, and the owner is unlikely to be able to determine what happened to the pet on his own. In most cases, treatment is required immediately. Every owner should know exactly what causes the appearance of blood in the urine of a cat.
The main reasons when urine in a cat or cat begins to contain blood is not very much.
- Kidney disease. Inflammation caused by any cause and provoking damage to the tissues of the kidneys, leads to the fact that the urine gets released during traumatizing blood. Its volume does not depend on the degree of inflammation, and therefore it cannot be assumed that if the admixture of blood has a small volume, then the problems are not serious. Also, abundant blood is not always a sign of an extremely severe inflammatory process. Treatment of an animal is urgent. A cat's urine with blood may persist for a long time.
- Urinary trauma. More often occur in animals with free access to street walks. Urine containing blood is the main symptom. They have minor injuries are common and do not cause disease, but if the blow was strong, then there may be a rupture of the tissues of the kidneys or the bladder, which causes bleeding. The cat requires immediate treatment, as otherwise, it is likely that severe infection will occur, which will provoke sepsis and death of the animal.
- Inflammation of the ureters. It occurs most often in urolithiasis, when, passing through the ureters, fractions injure them. Blood in this case is usually not very much, and the urine just gets a slightly pinkish hue. Delaying treatment is extremely undesirable, due to the high risk of complications. The cat's blood in the urine after treatment passes completely. The presence of blood is the first symptom of the onset of ICD.
- Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder). With this pathology, erosion occurs on the bladder mucosa, which causes bleeding of varying intensity, and blood appears in the urine of the animal. Pet's condition requires mandatory and quick treatment with various anti-inflammatory and antibacterial drugs.
- Neoplasms of a malignant or benign nature in the urinary system. Most often, blood in the urine appears when the growth has reached a significant size. If the cat is old, this phenomenon usually indicates that there is a neglected cancer.
- Urolithiasis disease. Blood impurity arises regardless of where the stones are located. Acute tails of the fractions cut the tissues of the organs of the urinary system, due to which internal bleeding develops, which causes more or less amount of blood to appear in the urine. The cat should get urgent help.
- Taking a number of drugs. Such a phenomenon occurs if the owner prescribes medication to the animal from his own first-aid kit, without consulting a veterinarian. As a result of this, the cat gets poisoned, and it develops internal bleeding, including kidney bleeding, due to which blood is added to the urine. It is strictly forbidden to give animals paracetamol and aspirin. Gentamicin can be used with caution and strictly according to the recommendations of the veterinarian if it is not possible to replace the drug with another.
- Systemic diseases - they affect the entire body, including the urinary system, which in some cases cause bleeding. In this situation, it becomes bloody and feces.
- Pathology of the reproductive system - in case of defeat of the reproductive system, blood is often excreted, which is washed off with urine from external genital organs and turns out for this reason in a tray. In such a situation, there is also an increased interest of the pet in licking itself, especially in the genital area.
In all cases, the cat should receive treatment as soon as possible, until its condition has worsened to a critical and life-threatening condition. It is better, after visiting the vet, to find out that the alarm was false than to find a serious illness in your four-legged pet. Call the problem of blood in the urine can not be insignificant.
Natural causes of blood impurities
It also happens that the blood in the urine of a cat appears for natural reasons. It does not apply to cats. To provoke the presence of blood can 2 factors.
- Period of estrus - bleeding from the vagina when urinating partially washed off with urine, from which it becomes pinkish. The amount of blood during urination is sometimes significant. In such a situation there is not much blood and the state of health of the animal is not disturbed. After the period of estrus, the urine regains its natural color. The cat at the time of heat spends a lot of time hygiene, and also behaves more playfully and excitedly. Skip such changes in the behavior of the owner will not be able to because of their clarity.
- Postpartum period. After lambing in a cat within 2-3 days, fuckers and bloody leucorrhoea are excreted from the uterus. They are washed away with urine and end up in a tray. It is not uncommon at this moment that the owner finds blood clots in the cat litter, which is also the norm. After complete cleansing of the uterus, the phenomenon will disappear without any treatment. If blood remains in the urine for more than 1 week after lambing, it is necessary to visit a doctor to determine inflammation in the genital organs, which is possible if there has been an infection at birth.
With natural causes of blood in the urine, the pet has no cause for concern, since it can rather be called a sign of health. Treatment in this case is not required. Doing another cat's menu is also not necessary.
When there is no opportunity to immediately contact a veterinarian, you should independently provide the animal first aid. It is aimed at a general improvement in the condition of the pet and in any case will benefit. The first thing that should be done when blood appears in the urine of an animal is the following:
- provision of rest - the cat should not be let out uncontrollably into the street and children should not be allowed to play with it. The animal should be in a warm, quiet place where it will feel safe and comfortable. Pet will be able to fully relax, which is very important for him in any disease,
- in case of pain, intramuscular administration of the drug no-shpa or analgin with dimedrol is indicated. It is important to know the exact dosage of the drug. The error in the dose in the smaller direction is not terrible for the cat's life, in contrast to an overdose of painkillers,
- the transfer of the cat to liquid and semi-liquid food with complete exclusion from the diet of solid food and dry food,
- constant availability of clean fresh water in the drinker.
Independent use of antibiotics for the animal is not recommended, as they are not required for all pathologies, and in some cases simply harm the pet. The main task of the owner to detect blood in the urine is to find a way to show the animal as soon as possible to the veterinarian. It is unacceptable to expect that the disease that caused the bleeding and provoked the presence of blood in the urine, will be able to pass by itself. Such a misconception is likely to lead to the death of a cat.
Properly hematuria can only be treated by a veterinarian, which should be addressed for help..
It is rather difficult to choose any one specific preventive regimen, since the reasons for which blood begins to appear in the urine are diverse. However, veterinarians tend to believe that measures aimed at the general preservation of the health of cats can help to prevent the appearance of blood in the urine, even in older animals. Warn possible pathology adherence to simple rules, which include:
- high-quality feeding with natural food or premium class feed. It is necessary to refuse food from the economy-class series, since 1 year of constant consumption is enough for the cat to become disabled,
- avoidance of uncontrolled stay of a pet on the street,
- regular anthelmintic treatment,
- high-quality locks on the windows to protect the cat from falling.
A loving owner will provide the pet with proper care and keep him healthy until a very old age. In the urine of a cat, blood appears in this case only in heat.
Any inflammation provokes damage to the tissues of the kidneys - in the urine there are impurities of blood released during injury.
The degree of inflammation is not related to the abundance of blood, so an urgent need to conduct medical tests is necessary even if the urine with blood has a pale pink color or several bloody drops appear in it.
Inflammation in the ureters
It usually appears in case of urolithiasis - the solid fractions injure the ureters when they pass through them. Indicates the presence of inflammation pink urine and difficulty urinating. Treatment must begin immediately - the risk of serious complications is high. Here can help feed for cats with ICD.
As a result of the impact, after a fall from a height, accidents can be traumatized by the organs of the genitourinary system. The most at risk of hematuria traumatic nature of cats that are free-range.
In such cases, therapy can not be postponed - perhaps severe infection, which can lead to sepsis and death.
A disease in which bleeding develops as a result of inflammation of the bladder, and the cat pees blood. Urgent therapy with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial drugs is needed.
In cats, urolithiasis often develops on the background of castration operations or due to improper feeding. Some cat breeds (British, Persian, Burmese, Maine Coon) have a genetic predisposition for ICD. With the discharge of stones, the sharp edges of the fractions injure the tissues of the urinary system - this provokes internal bleeding. In the urine may appear blood clots, it is painted in pink or dark color. This will help the transition to a holistic feed.
Very often, pet owners do self-medication. They prescribe their cats human medicine from the first aid kit, without consulting a veterinary doctor. Because of this, animals experience poisoning, accompanied by internal bleeding. Often it is renal bleeding, which causes the appearance of blood from the urethra. Such a reaction can even occur on aspirin and paracetamol. Caution should be given gentamicin to cats - it has many contraindications.
In neon cats, after the operation, the canal is narrowed, which leads to urine - this leads to the development or aggravation of ICD. Similar problems occur in cats after sterilization. Such animals need special diets (pet food for castles and pet food for sterilized animals) and increased care.
Pregnancy and childbirth
Pregnant cats and those who have lodged (after giving birth) may have blood in their urine. This is due to the exacerbation of chronic diseases of the genitourinary system and the development of urolithiasis. Diagnostics and treatment of cats should be carried out by a veterinarian so that the pregnancy process is not complicated and the offspring are not affected.
Helminths can live in any organs of a cat. If the parasites are infected with the renal pelvis or the bladder, it is possible for the urine to stain dark or pink.
This is not a complete list of pathologies in which hematuria appears. Therefore, it is important not to postpone the visit to the veterinarian so that he finds the cause of the appearance of blood in the urine and prescribes the correct treatment.
Methods for treating hematuria
The choice of treatment regimen depends on the final diagnosis, prescribed by a veterinarian.
All the owners can help their sick pet is to collect the urine for analysis, show the animal and collected urine to the specialist in time and strictly adhere to the doctor's prescriptions.
Usually antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed to cats. If a cat has blood in the urine due to urolithiasis, it is prescribed antispasmodics and painkillers. Also, the doctor may prescribe therapeutic nutrition. Manufacturers of super premium and holistic feeds have special urological feed brands.
If a cat develops dehydration due to poisoning, droppers with saline and glucose are placed on it. Also in case of poisoning using vitamin K and drugs to improve blood clotting.
Hematuria, which is caused by parasitic diseases, is treated with the help of de-worming the animal. Tumors, polyps, kidney stones require surgery.
The method of treatment and the choice of medicines in each case must be individualized.
The main rule: no self-treatment, only a professional approach.
Compliance with this rule - the guarantee of health and long life of your pet.
Reasons why urine turns red
Smoke without fire does not happen, and in this case, the etiological factors of bloody urine staining are the following pathological conditions in the animal's body:
- kidney bruises,
- hemorrhage in the kidneys,
- urolithiasis disease,
- the presence of parasites in the pelvis of the kidneys or the bladder (quite rare in felines),
- severe cystitis, urethritis, pyelitis,
- infections, such as leptospirosis,
- disintegration of malignant tumors,
- feed or chemical (poisons, drugs, etc.) poisoning.
How does urine look normal?
Urine is a fluid formed in the kidneys and excreted through the urinary system. Excreted from the body are removed:
- harmful products of exchange,
- foreign substances
This whole process helps to maintain a normal internal environment of the body, the so-called homeostasis.
A healthy cat has clear, yellow or orange urine. Color depends on the type of food, the nature of metabolism.
What is urine in hematuria?
Blood in the urine of cats can be seen with the naked eye, while the color from the straw changes to red or brown.
- The intensity of staining depends largely on the number of red blood cells, can vary from bright to subtle.
- In rare cases, clots may be observed in the form of blood cords or blotches.
With a slight course of one of the diseases listed at the beginning of the article, the blood is not always visible visually. It can be detected only with the help of laboratory research, namely microscopic analysis. Erythrocytes are found in the urinary sediment:
- some red blood cells keep their shape well,
- others, on the contrary, are severely deformed: wrinkled, swollen, flattened, etc.
Urine may acquire dark staining in cases not associated with any disease. For example, if a pet likes to feast on beets or carrots. There are few such lovers, but they exist. Exclusion from the diet of these products quickly brings the color of urine to the physiological norm.
How not to start the disease, or what to look for?
It is unlikely that the owners of fluffy people examine urine every day, trying to see if there is blood in it or not. Yes, and do it every day does not make sense. Only unusual behavior of a cat or a cat related to the process of urination can be a cause for concern.
In most cases, such an unpleasant symptom as hematuria is accompanied by:
- pet oppression
- refusal of feed
An animal may experience pain while managing its natural physiological needs, which manifests itself in:
- throwing around the apartment
- attempts to go to the toilet in places not intended for this,
- other signs of discomfort at the time of urination.
If such signs have appeared, it is time to conduct a home mini-survey.
How to collect cat urine for analysis?
Collect cat urine is not difficult. This should be done with gloves in order to protect yourself from possible infection in case of infection. Also, do not forget to disinfect the cat litter before and after sampling.
Remove the filler from the tray, leave the grid. After the next trip of the cat to the toilet, the liquid is gently poured into a transparent vessel (glass for collecting tests).
Not all cats have docile temperament. У особо стеснительных или своенравных кошек взять мочу на анализ можно только с помощью катетера. Естественно, проводить процедуру должен специалист.
Как обнаружить кровь в моче кошек?
The collected sample is examined in transmitted light: glassware is raised to eye level, placing it in front of a window or other light source.
- Red or dark brown color of urine, the presence of bloody clots indicates hematuria. Going to the doctor in this case is not advisable to put it on the back burner.
- If the liquid does not have obvious signs of staining, and the condition of the pet is difficult to diagnose as normal, then to soothe his own conscience, the urine is sent for examination to the veterinary laboratory. With the help of special methods, laboratory veterinarians will accurately determine whether there are red blood cells in it or not, and at the same time they will check the delivered sample for other items: the presence of protein, white blood cells, acetone, pus, microbes, epithelium, etc.
Based on the data obtained, the veterinarian-therapist, together with the clinical examination data, will be able not only to find the cause of the pathology, but also to prescribe the correct treatment.
How to help your pet?
The owner of the cat with hematuria is unlikely to independently help her; rather, on the contrary, inept actions will lead to irreparable consequences.
- The only thing that is required from the owner - as soon as possible to deliver the cat to the veterinary clinic or show a familiar specialist.
- If it is not possible to quickly bring the animal to the hospital, then you can try to get advice by phone, describing in detail all the signs that were observed.
Absentee conversation rarely has a positive effect, since only during a personal examination the veterinarian draws appropriate conclusions about the cat's condition and the severity of the disease process.
As a first aid, a cat owner must
- to provide a sick animal with rest by placing it in a warm, without drafts, room on the litter,
- intramuscularly inject painkillers (no-shpa, baralgin), which will help relieve pain,
- eliminate from the diet all solid foods, instead they offer liquid food and easily digestible food, water plenty,
- for disinfecting the urinary tract before going to the doctor, give the cat a decoction of bearberry, parsley root, furadonin,
- inflammatory products from the urinary tract are removed with the help of juniper decoction, horsetail.
It is not worth experimenting with antibiotics, since their uncontrolled use will only complicate the situation, worsen the cat's condition and require a longer treatment in the future.
Once again, it should be repeated that all these manipulations will ease the painful condition of the animal, but will not lead to a cure. Therapeutic measures for hematuria should be carried out only by a veterinarian after a comprehensive clinical and laboratory research.
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription
Diseases causing pathology
The causes that trigger the appearance of blood in the urine of an animal are different. The main ones are:
- Pathological processes associated with the kidneys. Inflammation of any kind, affecting the renal tissue, can be a stimulus for this symptom. Infectious lesion of the pelvis or calyx of the kidneys causes the organ to malfunction, and the blood in the pet's urine results from this ailment.
The cause of blood in the urine of a cat can also be injuries and bruises of the kidneys in the animal. The cat in this case urinates with blood.
- Inflammation of the ureter.
- The presence of tumors. Neoplasms in the cat's body is also one of the probable causes of hematuria.
- Bladder injury. Often this pathology occurs after bruises.
- In the urine of the pet bloody impurities are observed due to the formation of coral stones. This is a consequence of urolithiasis. In this case, the areas of defeat can be pelvis, calyx kidney, bladder. Stone formations injure the soft tissues of organs during movements, which provokes the appearance of pink or dark marks in the urine of the cat.
Stones do not form in the ureters, they get there from the top plots with urine flow. Formations of salt or calcareous character are shifted and advanced along the urinary canals. Solid formation damages the wall of the ureter. The process provokes the appearance of blood in the urine of the animal.
- Use of certain drugs. Some drugs affect the cat's body paradoxically, poisoning it. Especially dangerous is the use of products intended for people, not for animals. Such medicines in a pet can cause bleeding, cause pink or dark impurities in his urine.
Animals are strictly forbidden to give:
- Gentamicin (infects the parenchyma, develops nephrological illnesses in the pet).
- Diseases of the organ - systems, for example, heart failure.
- Overheating or hypothermia.
- Congenital anomalies in the structure of internal organs.
Sometimes hematuria is simply a concomitant symptom of more serious diseases, such as:
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Genital problems
- Cystitis. A cat can record blood in the urine and frequent urination. The blood mainly appears at the end of the emptying,
- Intoxication. Toxic substances often enter the blood circulation system and provoke inflammatory processes in the whole body.
Often the cause of the pathology are errors in the preparation of the diet of the cat:
- Violations in the balance of feed acid and basic substances,
- The presence of an excessive percentage of phosphates in food,
- Monotonous food.
The main symptom is urine staining in red. In some cases, it can be found clots.
Pet loses appetite, becomes sluggish, indifferent to everything. Kota is worried about urination; he can urinate past your toilet, carpets, upholstered furniture.
These symptoms are a sign that the cat has hematuria. If he has anxiety during urination, you should look at the color of urine. In the initial stages of the blood can not see the unaided eye, but the symptoms should be a signal about the unhealthy condition of the pet. The disease is unsafe. Treatment of a cat, if it has blood in the urine, must be organized urgently and only under medical supervision.
For accurate diagnosis, a urine test is taken, for the purpose of laboratory testing. To collect the urine you need to purchase a special filler in the pet store.
Blood in the urine of a cat eunuch
Castration of a male animal may cause ICD to appear.
The reason for this pathology is a narrowing of the urine output channel after the sterilization procedure. Even small concrements and salts start to come out hard on it. It is with this feature that frequent cases of urolithiasis of castrated cats are associated.
Blood in the urine of a castrati is a sign that the animal has hematuria. We urgently need to deal with its treatment, provide the pet with special nutrition and proper care.
The doctor prescribes the following examinations to determine the nature and main cause of the disease:
- Sowing and urine sensitivity,
- Blood tests, urine,
- Vaginal swab - with vaginitis,
- Ultrasound, x-rays of the abdominal cavity and with contrast,
- Analysis of stones
- Histological examination.
If there are indicators of dehydration, the doctor first of all prescribes intravenous injections of saline, glucose.
In case of intoxication, vitamin K and agents intended to increase blood clotting are used.
Drug treatment is prescribed, which includes:
- Addressing the cause of the disease by eliminating pathogenic factors
- Removal of inflammation from the bladder
- Suppression of pain and cramps,
- Restoration of diuresis and acid-base balance.
Antibiotics are used to treat hematuria, combining them with pathogenic and symptomatic therapy.
With the development of ICD establish the nature of salts, with the purpose of their dissolution. In severe cases, surgical removal of stones or their crushing using a laser is used.
What does a cat's normal urine look like?
In a healthy pet, the color of the urine should be straw yellow or just yellow and have a peculiar smell. And also you should definitely pay attention to the frequency of urination. On average, an adult consumes 100 ml of water per day. And should get rid of the residual liquid within 2 - 3 approaches to the tray. It is worth noting that due to the chemical composition of urine for cats it is very harmful to excrement only once a day. The urine of the animal is very concentrated, with a significant amount of salts in the composition, and its stagnation in the body can result in the development of urolithiasis.
It is necessary to closely monitor and change the color of the discharge. Too watery tint may indicate a severe form of renal failure. And a worse prognostic factor is darkening of the urine to brown tone, or the appearance of blood clots.
Blood in urine
Symptoms of hematuria
The typical symptoms of cystitis in cats are associated with inflammation or irritation of the lower urinary tract. Common clinical signs are.
- Too frequent urination (pollakiuria).
- Difficult urination. The cat is in the tray for a long time, emitting a small amount of urine.
- Darkening of feces.
- The presence of blood cells in the secretions.
- Excessive care and licking of the genital area.
- Urethral blockade. Inability to urinate. Very dangerous complication, requires immediate intervention by a specialist.
How to treat?
Before starting the treatment of such a serious disease, in order to avoid deterioration of the situation, it is necessary to make a thorough diagnosis. The initial diagnosis for a cat that suffers from hematuria is based on the presence of symptoms corresponding to inflammation of the lower urinary tract. A comprehensive urine test is the most common diagnostic test and is performed in practice in real time. Used to confirm the presence of inflammation or urinary tract infections.
Other diagnostic tests for blood in the urine include.
- Laboratory analysis of a urine sample.
- Determination of bacterial environment.
- Test for the presence of other signs of disease. Kidney problems or bleeding.
- Ultrasound of the bladder.
What to do if the cat has blood in the urine? Treatment is carried out depending on the diagnosis, but several main methods can also be distinguished.
- Bacterial infections usually respond well to a course of two to four weeks of treatment with antibiotics.
- In idiopathic cystitis, dietary changes, anti-inflammatory drugs, environmental changes, encouragement of high water intake and more may be recommended.
- If the cat develops a blocked urethra, then no one except the doctor will help. In most cases, the urethra is washed under general anesthesia of short action. It should be noted that the urethral blockade is found only in males, in exceptional cases in females.
- If the cat has bladder stones (uralites), they must be removed. Depending on the situation, they can be surgically removed or dissolved with a special diet and supplements.