During swarming, the uterus with its bee family is looking for a new home. Then there comes a time when some beekeepers lose their bees, while others replenish the apiary. Multiply the number of melliferous insects in the apiary will help special devices - bee traps. Knowledgeable beekeepers often construct them themselves from scrap materials using drawings.
In this article we will explain how to make a bee trap with your own hands according to the drawings, how to make a trap out of plywood and a bottle.
Why put traps
When a bee colony, with a womb over two years old, is not busy with work (honey collection), they begin to prepare for swarming. Such a process is natural and instinctive, and the beekeepers, in turn, must resort to many tricks. If you do not notice this action, then the bee colony begins to swarm.
Roy can fly from a neighboring or from an unsupervised apiary, and can fly many kilometers in search of suitable housing. - this is a wandering swarm. Beekeepers value these bees for quality performance, for catching these families and setting traps.
It is at such moments that a hand made swarm trap is needed.
What a bee trap looks like
The classic catcher is a plywood or fiberboard bee trap that:
- has a bolt, it can be used to easily and tightly close the bees in the trap when it is time to transport,
- you can make yourself, or find a suitable farm,
- fits frame, a couple of them with honeycombs for bait,
- equipped with only one letkeintended to enter insects.
Making a standard frame of plywood
Before installation, it is necessary to prepare the material:
- plywood (thickness 4 mm),
- rope (10 m),
- section of canvas
- boards (20 cm wide and 2 cm thick),
- pins (size 4 mm),
- insulating material (polyethylene or roofing material),
- sheet foam.
- two centimeters thick boards,
- from the same slats going to the rear and the facade of the catcher,
- a gap is cut in the front wall so that the largest bee can climb through it. In most cases, its dimensions are 10x100 mm,
- walls are attached to the bottom,
- with the help of rails, side bases are made,
- parts for upholstery of the box are being prepared from the sheet of plywood,
- sheathed sides with plywood,
- on the side walls inside, the rails are attachedon which the frame hangers will fall,
- finish body assembly.
You will also be interested to know:
The cover design is similar to the roof of ordinary evidence. Production Example:
- a quadrilateral is drawn on a sheet of plywood so that its dimensions are 1 cm larger than the box itself,
- this part is being prepared,
- rails are nailed around the edges so that a part can be firmly seated on the base of the trap,
- the foam is processed with glue and applied to the bottom of the lid,
- the top of the part is sheathed with ruberoid or cellophane,
- the cover is fixed to the body,
- from the wire preparing the handle for the trap. It is needed to transfer the structure and hanging it on a tree.
- frames fit into the structure. One or two frames with honeycombs are placed in the front, and the next ones are with a wrinkle. The maximum number is five frames,
- they are covered with canvas
- tap holes treated with propolis. You can use lemon balm or basil, they also attract bees.
The method of manufacturing the device with your own hands according to the drawings
The principle of manufacturing a scrubber from various materials is practically the same:
- parts for the walls are cut from the finished MDF sheet. It's easy to do, all dimensions are shown in the drawing,
- the bend is made using rails to set the frame. It is attached to the top of the front and rear of the hull, making a recess on the bars.
- For this purpose it is better to use a folding edge mill,
- to the front and rear wall attach the slats,
- make a slot for the entry clearance on the front of the trap,
- side panels are attached to the front and rear wall,
- prepare a place for landing cover.
- fix the longitudinal bars on the side walls (the upper bar should be 40 mm below the edge),
- make the roof lining of the rails,
- instead of ceiling boards, you can use a cut piece of fiberboard,
- form the roof of the parts of the hardboard so that the back and the front have visors,
- at the end, the trap must be saturated with linseed oil. To make the design less noticeable, a layer of dark green paint can be applied.
Preparing a bee trap is not the end. It must be safely caught and transferred to a permanent hive. To do this, remember a few tips:
- place the constructions early, because reconnaissance bees are already searching for a habitat in two or three weeks,
- periodically it is necessary to watch traps. If you notice a bee's notch (at least 15), then a family in someone's apiary or a swarm of wild bees is preparing for departure,
- you can climb a tree and listen to the hive
- when you make sure that the family is already settled in a trap, you need to close it,
- it should be done at sunset, when all the bees are at home,
- deliver the bees to the apiary,
- if necessary, return the trap back, not forgetting to rub the notch, as well as the front wall from the inside.
Frequently, beekeepers resort to a different type of trap, which is needed not for catching swarms, but for destroying harmful pests. The conversation is about wasps - dirty dogs, who bring a lot of trouble to beekeepers and bees. These insects are active even in cold weather, and often penetrate bee houses to steal honey.
The beekeeper is obliged to monitor this, otherwise the consequences can be flying for many hive. That is why the bee trap is made from a bottle. The dimensions of such a trap are small, but it also does the necessary work.
For its manufacture does not need special drawings and materials. Must have:
- plastic container
- scotch or wire,
Making a trap is easy. Cut off the top of the bottle and put back neck down. Inside the bait is placed, and the device is fixed in the appropriate place. The principle of capture is as follows: the wasp enters the trap through a funnel, but does not find a way out, constantly stumbles upon a modified cone.
You can also make a trap for drones with your own hands. The device is made of wire. It consists of two sections, between which they mount a barrier that has 2 ends of a fine mesh. In front set the dividing grid. Drones will not be able to pass through the lattice and fall into the upper grid, not being able to get out of there. It is a trap.
There they can gather up to one liter. Soon all die and need to be thrown away. In case of continuing swarming, the trap is re-installed. If the uterus is caught, you need to hang the structure and wait until the bees gather around it. Only then can they be transferred to the hive.
Catching a bee colony is the most necessary experience in the work of a beekeeper. Honeybees living in the wild often die from lack of suitable shelter or feed shortages. Therefore, bees need traps more than beekeepers themselves.
How to make a trap for bees?
Effectively working traps for bees can have a different device and appearance, as long as they are attractive to insects who decide to settle in a new place.
How to make a bee trap with your own hands? In open sources there is a mass of accurate, verified drawings and diagrams of temporary shelters for the swarm. When starting an independent work, the beekeeper must remember that, whatever the design, it must be sufficient to accommodate the bee family, but at the same time suitable for carrying and hoisting onto the tree. Therefore, the volume of the trap is most often limited to 30–60 liters.
Of the existing options, vertical structures resembling a hollow are preferred. As the material for the construction applicable low-resin varieties of well-dried wood, plywood, chipboard. And building materials and tools for their fasteners and gluing should not have a sharp odor-scaring bees.
Additional attractiveness of the trap is given by rubbing leaflets and internal surfaces with means of “Apira”, propolis, green lemon balm or basil. Experienced beekeepers stock up with bark, which is upholstered or pasted over the surface of a bee trap made of plywood, fiberboard or wood.
What is the appearance of the bee trap and its internal structure? From the outside, the temporary shelter for the swarm looks like a closed box with a single tap hole on all sides, equipped with a sturdy damper or valve. Inside, the beekeeper places frames with honeycombs and honeycombs, and you need to provide a way to remove them from the trap to transfer to a permanent hive. Strong belts are often attached to traps for transporting the structure.
The key to successful creation of a do-it-yourself bee trap is design drawings. If they are accurate and developed by an expert, the construction will not take much time and will not cause difficulties even for a novice beekeeper.
In addition to the proven accurate drawing, to create a trap for bees with your own hands you will need:
The work begins with the preparation of all the details of the bottom and the hull, which is made according to the drawings with your own hands a bee trap:
- The hull and the bottom are connected without gaps, but it should not be forgotten about the arrangement of the inlet. It is made on the front wall so as to ensure unimpeded access to one insect. More often, a slot 100 mm wide and 10 mm high is provided as a notch.
- The frame in the corners is fastened with bars, the same slats with grooves are packed along the top of the side walls for frame installation.
- The detail of the cover is cut a little more than the dimensions of the case, and the bars making up the edging should be mounted so that the connection between the cover and the case is as tight as possible.
- The inner surface of the lid is warmed with a layer of foam. The outer part is upholstered with a dense moisture-proof film or roofing felt.
- Then the lid is attached to the already almost finished bee trap made of plywood or wood.
- In order to avoid stratification and deformation of the material from moisture changes in temperature, the body, bottom and lid must be treated with linseed oil and dried thoroughly. After that, it is possible to paint the trap in subtle, masking its colors.
- Convenient straps, loops or handles should be provided for carrying the box and its attachment on a tree or stand.
- Frames are set in the finished bee trap. Their number varies depending on the design and size of the structure. Ahead must be 1 2 frames with honeycombs, and then put the mound.
The bark cleared of possible pests is upholstered in the hull and the roof of the trap. In this form, the box will be less attracted the attention of uninvited guests, but with great pleasure the bees will inspect and master the dwelling presented to them.
A video about bee traps and how to build this device with your own hands will be a useful help for beginner beekeepers who want to replenish the population of their farm without spending serious money.
The choice of the place and time of installation of the trap for bees
Carefully observing the behavior of their wards, an experienced beekeeper can, with a high degree of probability, indicate the places where his bee trap will definitely work.
The best place to set a trap is a strong tree at the edge of the forest or in the garden, where there is a clean bee-water reservoir nearby. Bees do not fit fully lit areas without a hint of shadow. To have a trap for bees should necessarily beletkom to the south.
The height of the placement of the trap may be different, but beekeepers are not advised to set the box above 6-8 meters.
If the swarming bees do not fly far from the household economy, the trap can be put in places of their frequent subsidence. An example would be a raspberry jam, a trunk of a strong apple tree growing on a pine or spruce compound, a roof or roof of a residential house or a shed. The only condition for this is remoteness from power lines, which insects do not like.
Near the set trap, there should be places for collecting honey or a box mounted on trees famous for active flowering. It can be acacia, apple, chestnut, pear, large plum and apricot trees, as well as the first bribe willows and other varieties of willow.
When to set a trap for bees, so that the probability of a swarm settling in it was maximum? It is best to carry out this operation for a couple of weeks before the average departure of swarms in the region. During this time, reconnaissance bees will have time to inspect all objects suitable for life, which, when examined, will be indicated by the presence of individual insects in the trap and traces of their activity.
The choice of materials for the manufacture of traps for bees with their own hands. Basic requirements for them
The designs of traps are very different, moreover, they can be made from different materials. For example, from cardboard, plastic bottles, fiberboard, etc. Resource out practical, roomy houses for honey insects. The simplest option is the device for catching swarms from plywood, which is completed with wooden slats. But before talking about how to make a bee trap with your own hands, it is necessary to consider its main varieties. Conventionally, these buildings are divided into horizontal and vertical. It should be immediately noted that the latter are more popular among swarms, since they are more similar to the natural hollow in a tree, and the bees react to them faster. Also distinguish single-level and multi-level structures. They differ in size and capacity. As science says - beekeeping, a good house for a swarm should be not less than 40 liters, and its maximum should reach 60 liters.
As for the basic design requirements for catching insects, it is very important that the material from which the structure is made does not remove harmful, caustic, foreign smells. Bees must respond to fillers, such as herbs, or special treatment with Apira. The main thing is not to use pure honey as bait, not swarms fly to it, but ants come running, which will become a real problem for the owner.
A trap for bees do it yourself from an old log
Often there are questions about how to make a bee trap with your own hands from an old, abandoned log, and is it real? Strangely enough, the answer may surprise many people, because it’s not just realistic, this way of attracting swarms brings the most successful results. Old, non-viable trees act as a safe haven for the younger generation of melliferous insects, and wood also retains its natural aroma for a long time and is a natural lure. And imagine how this method of fishing will be successful if the base itself is cleaned and the framework is placed in it.
To do this, the master needs to prepare tools for working with wood, as well as equip the framework with sushi and carpeting. In this case, the bark of the tree itself can serve as a roof, or various branches can be used additionally. Another advantage of this type of trap is the location. After all, often the masters do not even have to move the log to another territory, they just leave the old-new house in its original area.
How to make a trap with your own hands out of a bottle
One of the simplest materials that can be used to produce insect traps in the home is fiberboard. Consider the design, which is designed for 8 frames. So, for its manufacture you will need:
- sheet of quality fiberboard,
- a tin of paint,
- linseed oil and brushes,
- slats 4 * 2.5 cm.
The manufacturing techniques of the box must necessarily correspond to the prepared drawing, according to which templates should be cut from the sheet of material onto the walls. Next, wooden rails are nailed around the perimeter, and the front and rear traps are fastened. When nailing on the side walls of the block, the master should take into account that the upper element should be lower, since it implies the installation of a cover. The roofing part must also be tied with strips. Visors are left on it, after which its outer part is treated with linseed oil. Before placing the frames into place, the inside, so that the lure is not too catchy, should be painted with paint, it is best if it is a dark green shade.
Rules for installing traps for swarms in the yard
Experienced beekeepers know that the places where new and new layers appear every year are constantly repeated, so they place traps in places where a swarm will appear. Honey-bearing insects are guided primarily by smells, but the furnishings are no less important for them, so home-made houses are equipped with commenced honeycombs, equipped with frameworks and sheets of honeycomb, which are sure to become the key to catch.
В природе так заложено что молодые отводки улетают от основного места, в поисках кормежки, на большие расстояния, поэтому их и размещают не ближе чем в трех километрах от пасеки. Важно, чтобы вокруг была озелененная местность, лесные поляны, небольшие проточные водоемы, рощи и т.д. Именно такие места привлекают внимание пчел. The assertions that they flock to the places where lakes, huge rivers, etc. are located are considered erroneous, which means that you should not place them in such territories, because the probability of acquiring a slice here is too low. If he makes a mistake with the distance between the prepared house and the apiary, then the swarm will not be divided into a new offspring and an old family, but will simply fly away from a permanent habitat.
A trap for bees with their own hands, the size of which should be calculated at 50% turnout of the young generation is not always practical. Therefore, it is considered that the result of hunting for swarms also depends on the size of the trap placed, since only small families can fly into small houses. But if a huge swarm flies to the trap, then due to the insufficient space in the box and the minimum number of frames it can fly away. It is also very important that the inserted frames are not too dark in color, otherwise they will scare off insects, and they must actively nibble them. But do not despair, because you need to practice and observe, take into account the advice of practicing theorists, and then the success of your trap will be ensured.
In order to catch the swarm and acquire the bees, you need to do not a small amount of work; this process also includes making, equipping and installing houses for catching them. Beginners need to know that it is necessary to place honey insect traps at the right time of the year, which is optimal at the end of May, when the gardens are almost blooming. Indeed, the wrong time of placement of such structures may adversely affect the general condition of the apiary, or the traps will simply be filled with wasps and other malicious inhabitants. For the successful implementation of the installation of the trap for bees made with your own hands, you must follow these rules:
- Do not put houses on the ground, the best location for them - this height is equal to the average human height.
- The trap should be in a prominent place, and the insects themselves could easily notice it.
- If your invention is intended for installation on branches, then you should take care of the fastening elements and, in fact, the reliability of fastening. It must be insured against turning and falling.
- Not suitable for installing traps places that are located close to highways and which are adjacent to the power line.
- A trap for swarms of bees will be considered unprofitable due to installation on trees such as linden or aspen. They are not very attractive insects during swarming, so do not choose this method of location.
- As practice shows, the bees actively flock to the wires, especially in those areas where the telephone system is located. Therefore, beekeepers think about setting traps close to such areas.
- Placing homemade houses do not forget that they will need to be transported, so the road must pass to them.
- Remember about the false recommendations, relatively wetland, because such places do not attract the attention of bees, but rather your chances of catching there are minimal layouts.
Do not forget about security, because a well-made trap can be stolen. But not only thieves become a threat to such structures. Wasps, ants and drones are among the pests. You can get rid of them with additional elements for fishing, which can be done with an ordinary plastic bottle. It just needs to be filled with some honey, and then tied close to the main trap for the swarm. After all, professionals know that such a bait is not claimed by bees, but it attracts other volatile. For more information on how to make a trap for bees with their own hands, see the video:
The principle of operation and design of the trap for bees
A trap is a box that should provide the wandering swarm with suitable conditions for the first time. Inside it are:
- the only entrance for flying bees,
- several frames, two of them - with honeycombs-baits,
- flap for tight closure to prevent insects from flying.
Attention! The box can be picked up at the farm. It is important that there are no gaps in it.
The optimum size of the container - 40 liters. Such a trap can catch a medium-sized swarm. If the house is smaller, then the population inside it will settle in a small one - some of the bees will simply tear themselves away from the family. Dimensional trap (more than 60 liters) is also not relevant. From the large size of the box, the bees will not increase, but you will spend more effort and money on the assembly.
Experienced beekeepers advise using a vertical trap that resembles a hollow in a tree. In nature, wild swarms are more likely to choose such shelters. Therefore, the chances of catching insects you have higher. It is important that the house was made of pure natural materials, sufficiently moisture-resistant, without harsh odors. This also applies to adhesive preparations that will fasten parts of the house.
Assembly order: what you need
The installation procedure should be based on the drawing. For example, as in the photo. In order not to be distracted while working on the bee trap, prepare the necessary materials and tools in advance:
- 4 mm thick plywood sheet
- slats 2x2 cm
- several edged boards 200 mm wide and at least 20 mm thick,
- pins - 4 mm,
- nails, rope, wire,
- cellophane, roofing felt or other covering material to protect the trap from moisture and low temperatures,
- fabric cut,
- polyfoam (sheet),
- wood bark for exterior decoration
- locksmith tool kit
- furniture stapler.
Council In addition to plywood, you can use light-resin varieties of wood (after good drying) or chipboard pressed boards to assemble a bee trap.
An effective trap attracts insect smell. Use a strong scent tested by experienced beekeepers. For example, propolis, greens of basil or lemon balm or a special drug "Apira". Their bees are very fond. Means it is necessary to rub surfaces in a box and letkov. This is best done during the assembly process.
How to build a bee trap
- Take the boards, knock the bottom of the structure.
- Then separately from the same material - walls and facade. Leave a narrow gap on the face for the movement of bees. Size 1x10 cm
- Fasten the walls and bottom with slats, which are fixed on the side.
- Cut out pieces of plywood for covering the trap.
- Nail the sides of the construction bars. Bee frames will be attached to them.
It’s still too early to assemble the case and fix it - you need to make a cover:
- draw and cut a rectangle of plywood a little more than the width of the already assembled case,
- attach the bars to the edges of the rectangle-cover. In the process of work, constantly monitor the fitting,
- Grease the inside of the lid with glue and attach an even piece of foam to it,
- on the front side of the lid tamp ruberoid or foil,
- attach the cover to the body, it should fit tightly on the previously prepared groove,
- paste or bind the box with pieces of bark so that it looks as natural as possible to the bees.
After assembling the frame, you can install the framework. In the foreground, fix 1-2 pieces. with honeycombs. Place the rest on the other planes. Beekeepers are advised to use up to 5 frames. Cover them with a cloth. An alternative version of the trap design for bees is presented in the video.
Recommendations and tricks in the arrangement of the trap
The assembly is only half of the successful catch of the swarming bee colony. It is important to position the trap correctly and successfully. Experts advise to take into account such nuances:
- The optimum height is 6-8 m. However, deviations in this parameter are allowed.
- The swarm most often settles in strong trunks of conifers, apples, pears, acacias, chestnuts and other trees that are known for wild flowering, as well as under the eaves of a residential building or shed in a raspberry tree. Therefore, the trap is placed somewhere in such places. This is true for those bee breeds that are not inclined to fly far from the infield.
- Not far from the location of the box should not pass power lines - they do not like bees.
Choose the right time to install the box. The beekeeper, even with a little bit of experience, knows when the departure of the swarms begins in his area. Otherwise, ask knowledgeable neighbors. Take about 10-15 days from the received timeframes. During this period, reconnaissance bees have already made a preliminary flight in order to find a place for a future swarm settlement.
The fact that your trap was spotted is evidenced by the traces of the vital activity of individual insects or their presence during the inspection of the box. Catching a swarm into a trap is easy and fun. Having the first experience in the following seasons you will cope with this procedure better and better.