In the article I will talk about this disease of the ears in dogs, as otitis. I will list the reasons for the development and indicate who is at risk. I'll tell you about the types of the disease and their symptoms. How to determine the disease, signs and symptoms and how to treat with drugs at home. I will give ways to diagnose and treat otitis in dogs and list the rules of prevention.
Causes of the disease in dogs at risk
Otitis is an inflammatory process that affects a dog's ears.
The reasons for the development of the following:
- Ear Ticks. Blood-sucking parasites gnaw through their own moves in the epidermis, feed on blood and dead cells. This leads to the development of severe inflammation of the ears.
- Allergy and atopic dermatitis. Often, otitis media accompanies an allergic reaction that occurs after a pet comes in contact with an allergen (food, some insects, medicines, etc.).
- Injury to the ear or a foreign body in the ear canal. The development of otitis can be caused by biting, bruising or severe wounds of the auricle. Also, inflammation develops if a small sprig, an insect, sand, a pebble, etc., gets into the ear canal.
- Infections caused by bacteria or fungi. Such microorganisms actively multiply in the ear canal of a pet, which leads to the development of inflammation or bacterial otitis.
- Hereditary diseases and neoplasms. An autoimmune disease or the appearance of a tumor (malignant or benign) in the ear canal can lead to otitis.
To predisposing factor include frequent washing in the bathroom or bathing an animal in water (especially with standing water). If not treated, the complication will lead to chronic otitis.
Otitis Media and Their Symptoms
Otitis in animals is of three varieties:
- Outer. This form is the easiest, affects only the auricle. Accompanied by itching, the appearance of discharge (transparent, purulent) with an unpleasant odor.
- Average. The ear bones are affected. Usually develops due to the active reproduction of bacteria and fungi. The dog's hearing deteriorates, it constantly tilts its head toward the sore ear. There may also be a symptom of facial nerve paralysis.
- Interior. In this species, the deeper layers of the ear are affected: eardrum, cochlea, etc. Internal otitis is most often a complication of the external and middle forms of the disease. The dog shakes his head, does not hear the affected ear. The dog squishes in the ear. There may also be a lack of coordination. When running form, discharge from the ear with an unpleasant odor. Often accompanied by internal keratitis, conjunctivitis, loss of the third century.
Diagnostics and methods of treatment at home
If you suspect an acute form, you must show your pet to a veterinarian. The doctor will examine the dog's ears with an otoscope, assess the condition of the eardrum, and detect foreign bodies, if any.
With it, you can detect ear mites. Also, the resulting biomaterial is examined for the presence of bacteria and fungi.
When a neoplasm is done, a histology is made (a small piece is tipped off from the tumor and sent for examination).
Disease therapy depends on the type of disease and the root cause:
- Purification of the auricle from pus, discharge, sulfur. To do this, an oily lotion is instilled into each ear, then gently massaged and the exudate removed with a cotton pad or a clean gauze pad. Instead of lotion, you can use saline or solution of furatsilina (tablet per liter of water). It is very important to pre-heat the liquid intended for cleaning the ears to 37 degrees.
- Elimination of allergy symptoms. If the disease has developed against the background of an allergic reaction, the dog is given antihistamines. Also exclude the contact of the pet with the substance that caused the reaction of the immune system. Ears are washed with disinfectants.
- Treatment of injuries and removal of foreign bodies. For the treatment of wounds, bruises and other injuries use Levomekol, chlorhexidine for treatment. The inflammatory process can be removed with drops of otonazol, aurikan, etc. If purulent discharges appear in the ear, antibiotics are given to the animal.
- Treatment of ear mite. When otodektoze drugs are used, the action of which is aimed at the destruction of blood-sucking parasites. To cure, the ears are pre-cleaned of plaque and crusts. Then acaricidal drops are applied to the inner surface: frontline, acaromectin, anandin, etc., ointment levomekol or camphor oil. Processing is subjected to both ears.
- Removal of tumors. If otitis was caused by a tumor, it is surgically removed and sent for examination. In cancer, a dog is prescribed a course of chemotherapy. If the tumor is benign, further treatment is usually not required.
In addition to local drugs, systemic antibiotics are prescribed (shots or tablets).
From folk remedies for the treatment of ears suitable solution of calendula. To do this, a teaspoon of tincture from the pharmacy is added to half a glass of warm water. The resulting solution is treated with the dog's ears 2-3 times a day.
The dog’s ears are cleaned every 1-2 weeks with a cotton pad or gauze dipped in a special lotion. Processing is carried out more often if the pet often bathes in a pond or other body of water with stagnant water. In long-haired dogs, it is recommended to carefully cut the hair inside and around the auricle.
It responds well to treatment, especially for the external and medium forms. If the dog begins to scratch its ears and tilt its head, it is necessary to consult a veterinarian.
Otitis is called ear inflammation. Accordingly, in this case, it has an allergic etiology. Some veterinarians believe that atopic allergies can cause up to 80% of all cases of otitis in dogs. It is unlikely that there are really so many of them, but the phenomenon is really widespread.
Symptoms of the disease are not much different from the usual otitis. The ears swell, redden, local body temperature increases markedly, the animal constantly scratches the affected area, causing the auricles quickly become covered with deep scratches. If the process is complicated by the intervention of pathogenic microflora, exudate secretion may begin.
In many cases (25%), otitis media is the first symptom of a generalized allergic reaction. The second typical symptom is a clearly visible swelling of the muzzle and an increase in local body temperature due to a strong rush of blood to the affected areas. By the way, how can allergy and inflammation of the ear be related? Oddly enough, the relationship is, and direct. Pathology can develop in two directions.
In the first case, it happens like this. When an allergic reaction develops, mast cells in the blood release huge amounts of histamine from themselves. The latter contributes to an increase in the porosity of the vessels (that is, their permeability improves). This is done so that the places of penetration of infectious agents (in this case, the body mistakenly accepts allergens for them) can get lymphocytes.
If the allergic reaction is excessive, lymphocytic tissue infiltration develops, resulting in a process similar to inflammation. In the same cases, when the reaction is complicated by some other factors (more often - by genetic predisposition), the autoimmune process begins - the body's defense cells attack their own tissues, a “classic” inflammation occurs.
Fortunately, this is quite rare. Usually, the pathological process proceeds according to the following scenario - histamine is released first, then the porosity rises. Because of this, the internal ear microflora is disturbed and the development of pathogenic and conditionally pathogenic microflora begins. Very often, this “bridgehead” captures fungi and yeast. But you need to understand that not in all cases, redness of the ear indicates otitis.
So, in German Shepherd Dogs and Labradors, ear itching may be associated with particular dermatitis, signs of which appear at the edges of the auricle. The signs by which you can distinguish otitis from dermatitis are: thickening, hyperpigmentation and lichenification (the skin becomes coarser, looks like “plastic, its pattern is more pronounced). In some terrier breeds, fibro-proliferative nodules are added to all of the above symptoms of allergic otitis. In most cases, the pathology affects both ears at once, but sometimes there are exceptions, and in an animal, the disease is unilateral.
As the practice of veterinary allergists proves, one of the most common causes of allergic reactions is propylene glycol (contained in many medicinal drops) and neomycin. Not excluded sensitivity to other components of the drugs. It should be noted that allergy, as a rule, does not develop immediately after taking the medication (except, of course, an immediate anaphylactic shock), but some time later. It is possible that the first clinical signs will appear in a couple of days. At external examination on the auricles, pronounced erythemas are found, merging into large spots. In such cases, it is necessary to begin treatment as soon as possible, since otherwise the formation of severe, poorly healing ulcers is possible.
Of course, more often causes of allergic etiology can bepollen, components of detergents, massively used for house cleaning, cosmetics, other connections with which the dog living in the apartment contacts daily. This is the main problem - to effectively treat this pathology, you need to more or less accurately identify the allergen. And it is extremely difficult to do this even in the conditions of an ordinary medical clinic, not to mention veterinary institutions.
Differentiation of allergic otitis from food allergies
It is imperative to find out what exactly “got out” on your dog's ears - just an allergic reaction to some components of the food, or is it otitis after all. For the arrangement of points above the "i" food test is used. To do this, from the diet of the animal exclude all potentially dangerous components, up to the disappearance of symptoms. If they remain after this, we can assume that it is otitis.
For the results to be fairly objective, the test should be at least two to three weeks long.
Important! At this time, the dog should not be prescribed anti-inflammatory corticosteroids, as they will reduce to no all diagnosis. It really takes a lot of time, but still in difficult and doubtful cases, it will not be possible to do without a food sample.
When there is a suspicion of autoimmune disease, everything becomes even more complicated. Ideally, genetic examination is necessary, but usually limited to microscopic examination of a sample of affected tissue. When neutrophilic or lymphocytic infiltration is detected, an autoimmune disorder may be suggested.
About therapeutic techniques
How is the treatment of allergic otitis media? If during the food test it was found that inflammation of the ear canal occurs only as a response to some components of the food, they are simply excluded from the dog's diet. As a rule, this is enough for complete cure. Unfortunately, such simple cases are quite rare. Usually it is necessary to resort to more complex methods of treatment:
- First try to stop the process corticosteroid. If the animal's body responds well to their reception, gradually select the threshold dose (the lowest possible), then conduct a course of treatment. The same applies to cases of autoimmune otitis, but at the same time keeping animals on corticosteroids and even more powerful immunosuppressants has to constantly, often - the rest of their lives.
- Cyclosporine - this drug in many cases helps to effectively relieve signs of inflammation. Note that in severe cases of allergic otitis, it is still necessary to supplement it with anti-inflammatory corticosteroids (the threshold dose of which in such situations becomes much less).
- Oklacitinib - a relatively new, but very promising drug, excellent in stopping the signs of inflammation, pain and itching. In therapy, it is also recommended to use in combination with threshold doses of anti-inflammatory corticosteroids for maximum effect.
Keep in mindthat when prescribing corticosteroids and other immunosuppressants for at least some long time, the dog will have to be given antifungal and antimicrobial agents (you can just drop it in your ears, you don’t have to feed your pet with pills), because the risk of secondary infections is very high.
Dechra CleanAural has proven itself well, designed to clean the ear with otitis. This drug is good because it restores the natural environment of the ear canal, helping the body to naturally recover. In addition, it has a decent bactericidal effect, helping to cope with a secondary bacterial infection of the ears. But still the most relevant treatment remains with the use of various glucocorticoids (both natural and synthetic):
- 1: 1 mixture of dexamethasone and 1% miconazole. It is extremely good at treating allergic otitis, complicated by secondary infection caused by fungi of the genus Malassezia. 1: 2 dilution is allowed (i.e. more miconazole). This mixture is used three to four times a week to treat the diseased ear (s).
- Hydrocortisone acetate - twice a week. The drug significantly reduces the intensity of inflammation, helps reduce vascular porosity.
- In less severe cases, CortAstrin may be recommended (this is the same 1% hydrocortisone, but with the addition of aluminum acetate as a binder base). Used for processing ears. Periodicity - once every two / three days.
- Finally, do not forget about the banal Dimedrol and other antihistamine drugs with which you can carry out treatment at home (of course, in the simplest cases).
Other therapeutic methods largely depend on whether there are any specific predisposing factors and / or secondary infections. So, if allergic otitis is caused by the action of the ear mite, even treatment with folk remedies can help: a thick mixture of oil and garlic is instilled into the ears. It smells awful, but helps with otodektoze. The main danger - the animal may be increased sensitivity to garlic.
This is how to treat allergic otitis. Since the disease is quite insidious, it is better to entrust the choice of a particular method to a veterinarian.
General information about otitis media and their causes
Inflammation of the ear canal causes a lot of discomfort to the pet, including pain, itching, fever and general malaise. Initially, the structure of the ears in all dogs is such that there is always a risk of otitis. There are also rocks with a clear predisposition to this pathology. These are animals:
- with long ears
- with hairs in the ear canal,
- with skin folds through the body,
- prone to allergic reactions.
In dogs, otitis is in the form of:
- inflammation of the ear canal and the outer ear (otitis externa),
- inflammatory process, exciting middle ear (otitis media),
- inflammation that passes to the inner ear (the rarest type of otitis).
The main causes of inflammation:
- Wool in the ears. Increased growth of hair in the ear canal prevents normal ventilation of the ears, and also provokes constant formation of earwax with constant irritation. Formed sulfur due to the same wool cannot be removed and removed in the process of canine physiology. Local irritation of the inner ear surface, high humidity and excess sulfur become a favorable environment for the development of bacteria and inflammation.
- Ear Mite One of the most famous mites, Otodectes cynotis, which causes otodecosis, feeds on sulfur from the ear, as well as the cells of skin tissue. In the course of its life causes itching and swelling. Both sides are usually affected at the same time.
- Reduced immune defense of the body. Because of the decrease in the general resistance of the organism to infections, bacterial and fungal otitis appear, because of the enhanced development of conditionally pathogenic fungi and microbes (they are always on the skin, but their development is hampered by sufficient immunity). Banal hypothermia or drafts can cause a decrease in immunity.
- Tumors and papillomas on the surface of the auricles and directly in the auditory canals. May be primary and secondary. Primary tumors can completely block the ear canal, preventing the ingress of air inside for natural ventilation, and can self-inflame and bleed, giving food to bacteria and fungi. Вторичные опухоли появляются после долгого воспаления, которое вызывает уплотнение кожи в ухе.
- Зарастание ушного прохода. This reason most often occurs in dogs with such a pedigree feature as increased formation of skin folds on the body (Shar Pei, Bulldogs or Chow Chow). The auditory canal is completely blocked by overgrown cartilage or folds. The inability to air inside the ears is always accompanied by inflammation.
- Allergies. Otitis very often occurs due to atopic and food allergic reactions. At the moment of an increased response of the body to allergens, excessive formation of earwax is observed, as well as activity in the development of conditionally pathogenic fungi and bacteria (that is always on the skin, and reproduces only under favorable conditions). Everything ends with inflammation.
- Presence of a foreign object. Anything can get into the ear canal: plant seeds, insects creep in, blades of grass, small toys thrust by children, etc. The development mechanism is typical for tumors - there is no ventilation, earwax production increases (the body tries to get rid of the foreign object on its own). As a consequence - the inflammatory process.
- Water in the ears. After careless bathing in the ears, water may remain, which stagnates in the ear canal along with sulfur, making it an excellent source of nutrition for bacteria that provoke inflammation.
- Hormonal disorders. Hormonal disruptions due to problems in the adrenal glands, the thyroid gland, and in the genitals are often accompanied by skin changes - dandruff, itching, redness and swelling, hyperkeratosis (excessive desquamation) - and inflammation.
- Feeding sweet dogs. It has been established that the excessive addition of sweets (especially wafers) to the dogs ’diet adversely affects the work of the inner glands, which begin to produce sulfur in excess with insignificant admixtures of sugar molecules. Excessive "sweet" sulfur becomes a source of food for parasites, bacteria and fungi, whose vital activity provokes otitis.
If you don’t find out the cause of otitis, treat it incorrectly or don’t treat it at all, then all this will provoke perforation of the eardrum (rupture or dissolution by pus). In this case, purulent discharge will accumulate not only at the base of the ear canal, but will go into the inner ear, penetrating into the meninges. In this course of the disease, at best, the dog will lose its hearing, at worst, it will die from purulent meningitis.
Symptoms of inflammation in the ears:
- scratches, hematomas (bruises), wounds or any other damage on the ears,
- constant desire to scratch your ears or shake your head,
- a lot of sulfur (more than usual),
- any kind of discharge (including pus) with an unpleasant smell,
- obvious signs of inflammation - redness, swelling, tenderness, and an increase in local temperature,
- loss of hair on the auricles (from scratching) or inside,
- crusts and scabs around the ears or at the entrance to the ear canal,
- pain not only inside, but also the entire organ of hearing (the animal does not allow to examine it),
- enlarged submandibular lymph nodes with prolonged inflammatory process,
- changes in the general condition of the animal - depression, lack of appetite, fever, etc.
In addition to the common symptoms for all problems with the ears, there are individual clinical signs of otitis, depending on the causes of:
- with otitis due to increased hairiness, in addition to the classic signs of inflammation, it is possible to detect wool that grows deep in the ear, which must be removed both for the prevention of otitis media and before starting treatment of an existing problem,
- for ear mites, there are black-brown cereal discharges, under which bleeding wounds can be observed during their separation. Both sides are usually affected
- bacterial or fungal otitis are usually accompanied by purulent secretions and an increase in local temperature. When planting secretions on nutrient media, it is possible to isolate a specific pathogen of inflammation,
- in otitis because of tumors or foreign objects, in addition to all signs, specific causes are identified - in fact, tumors and extraneous things that can only be detected by an otoscope due to a deep location in the ear canal,
- with otitis caused by the ingress and stagnation of water, the discharge is always liquid, albeit of a different nature (purulent, serous, turbid or transparent),
- if the otitis is allergic, then usually signs of individual sensitivity are manifested in other parts of the body: urticaria, edema, pruritus, etc.
What the owners can not do
- You can not self-medicate, because Improperly selected antimicrobials will not help, will cause the resistance of bacteria to other means, and may also cause additional irritation and increased inflammation. If you find any sign that something is wrong with your hearing, you should immediately contact a veterinarian! How to treat otitis media depends on the cause of its occurrence, which can only be determined by a specialist.
- It is impossible for a dog to try to clean the ears with ear sticks - as it should be, it is impossible to clean the discharge, and there is also a risk of cotton residue inside the ear. In veterinary clinics, the ears are cleaned with tweezers or a hemostatic clamp, which firmly hold a cotton swab and with a good metal support allow you to clean out all the pollution and secretions.
- It is impossible to bury hydrogen peroxide in a dog's ears - when it reacts with bleeding wounds and pus, it begins to foam strongly, which is perceived by the dog as a loud extraneous noise. An animal from fear may behave inadequately. Peroxide can handle only the auricles outside.
- You can not purge the ears of the dog, if you have never done this. There is a high risk of causing pain, after which the animal will in every way interfere with inspections even conducted by veterinary specialists (will run, hide, bite, etc.).
How to help a dog with signs of otitis before referring to a veterinarian
If it is not possible to immediately seek help from a veterinary specialist, the owner of the pet may somewhat ease his condition with simple procedures:
- carefully examine the organ of hearing, without hurting the dog and not using foreign objects, so as not to cause additional damage,
- to process the outer surface of the ears with hydrogen peroxide and brilliant green, if there are wounds and scratches on the ears,
- instill 3-4 drops of ears with Otinum or Otypaks and gently massage the base of the ears (if there are no signs of pain). These are absolutely safe drops for dogs that relieve itching, eliminate pain, dissolve sulfur and soak crusts and plaque in the ear canal (if any). Funds do not give antimicrobial load, eliminating the risk of resistance of bacteria that caused inflammation, prior to the start of antibiotic therapy,
- After soaking the ear contents and anesthesia, clean the ears with a cotton swab around the tweezers. The procedure can be carried out only with the experience of cleaning the dog's ears! If up to this point cleaning has never been done in one's life, it makes sense to wait for a visit to a veterinarian, removing the contamination within the visible gyri of the outer ear. If you feel sloshing inside the pus or other contents in the absence of the opportunity to clean everything, a mixture of streptocide powders with boric acid (ratio 1: 5) is filled into the ear. If the dog wants to trot his head - you need to let her do it! Soaked mud, discharge and sulfur will move closer to the outer ear, from where they can be removed by yourself,
- If the dog has an increase in body temperature, Analgin can be given once as an antipyretic - 0.5 tablet / 10 kg inside or 0.1 ml / kg intramuscularly.
All subsequent home treatment should be carried out by prescribed veterinarian drugs and in the order defined by him.
The principle of treatment of otitis is:
- strengthening immunity
- relieving pain and itching,
- finding out and eliminating the causes of otitis,
- removal of purulent and other secretions from the ear,
- removing not only from the source of inflammation, but also from the whole organism of pathogenic bacteria,
- detoxifying the body from the decay products of tissues and the vital activity of parasites, fungi and bacteria during long-term chronic otitis.
In special cases, for example, with the overgrowth of the auditory orifice, restorative surgical intervention is performed, during which the ear canal is re-formed.
Important: it is impossible to cure secondary otitis media without eliminating the cause that caused it! With one symptomatic treatment, the disease can turn into a chronic course.
The sequence of therapeutic manipulations:
- Purification of auricles. The outer ear is cleaned with a swab well moistened with hydrogen peroxide or 2% salicylic tannic alcohol. Soak and remove all crusts.
- Cleansing the ear canal. The ear canal is cleaned with a swab moistened with chlorhexidine solution or, after instillation of prophylactic lotions or drops to clean the ears, in the ear. Lotions and drops well soak the internal dirt, waste products of ticks, dried blood, crusts, etc. In the process of cleaning the ears, material is taken for microscopy and bakposev to identify the otitis pathogen for rational use of the drug.
- Treatment of bleeding wounds with a solution of brilliant green.
- For deep scratching and bleeding wounds on the surface of the auricle, the use of wound healing and antiseptic ointments is recommended.
- After cleaning the ears, ear drops are used for the intended purpose, and depending on the identified pathogen - antifungal, antimicrobial or anti-tick agents. If it is not possible to identify the pathogen, apply a combined broad-spectrum droplets aimed at removing ticks, fungi and microorganisms.
- In case of purulent otitis of any etiology, general antibiotic therapy is prescribed for a course of 5-7 days.
- If signs of general intoxication are observed, droppers with detoxicants are used.
- Regardless of the degree of development of the disease and the causes of otitis media, it is always prescribed immunostimulating agents.
Causes of development
The immune system of humans and animals produces special cells designed to destroy potentially dangerous foreign substances or pathogens. In some cases, the immunity works in a hyperbolic mode, and responds as an “aggressor” to completely harmless substances. Moreover, the reaction is so strong that there is a painful condition, which is called an allergy, and the irritant that caused it - an allergen. Allergies can manifest as skin rashes, asthma, and inflammatory diseases of the ears, eye mucosa, and upper respiratory tract.
Catalysts for allergic otitis in dogs can be:
- Low immunity. Usually, this leads to an improperly organized diet or inactive lifestyle.
- Postponed diseases or drug used to treat them.
- New in the dog's diet product.
- Not used before care products.
- Hormonal imbalance that triggered an increase in the sensitivity of the immune system.
Attention! If your dog has a tendency to allergic reactions, or its ancestors had such a tendency (frequent skin rashes or seasonal rhinitis is hay fever), the risk of developing allergic otitis media is quite high. Such animals need to change their diet or habitat with caution, purchase gels and shampoos for washing that do not contain chemical additives, and use medicinal products only with the permission of a physician.
The most obvious symptoms of otitis in a dog are manifestations of pain. The animal is restless, tries to squeeze the sore ear, scratches it, tilts its head to the side, because of the pain syndrome it suppresses attempts to yawn. If the owner desires to touch the inflamed ear, the dog drastically pulls away, whining. A visual inspection reveals redness and swelling of the auricle, the ear is hot, and an unpleasant odor comes from it.
There is a large amount of earwax in the ear canal, even if you have recently cleaned your dog's ears. There may be purulent-bloody discharge or crusts of dried pus (this is clearly seen in the photo). The dog loses its appetite, it may rise in temperature.
In severe cases, there may be tearing and enlarged submandibular nodes. Often there is a partial loss of hearing: the animal reacts weakly to the commands of the owner and sometimes does not respond to them at all. The dog is easily annoyed and shows aggression.
Good to know! In addition to symptoms that clearly indicate inflammation of the ear, there are several associated signs that the attentive owner will suspect otitis from his pet dog. Usually, in any inflammatory disease, the dog has problems with the stool: diarrhea or constipation. Allergen can also affect the mucous membranes of the eyes and respiratory tract, therefore, an animal suffering from otitis often suffers from tearing and runny nose.
Otitis therapy is directly dependent on the cause of its development. During the initial examination, the doctor asks the owner of the dog what external signs of the disease were found at home, carefully examining the condition of the auricle, the ear canal and the eardrum with an otoscope. Then, a smear on the microflora and the presence of parasites is taken from the inner surface of the ear, and an allergological test is also performed. This is a skin test for sensitivity to the most common allergens or drugs that an animal takes.
Differential diagnosis of allergic otitis media may also include:
- Analysis of urine,
- general and biochemical blood tests,
- determination of the level of thyroid hormones and adrenal glands,
- magnetic resonance or computed tomography of the head.
If you suspect ear inflammation, you should never use the advice of familiar dog breeders or information read on the Internet than to cure this disease. If otitis is allergic in nature, symptomatic treatment (an attempt to reduce pain and inflammation) will not give a long-term result.
Allergic otitis therapy involves:
- identification and elimination of the provoking factor,
- the use of antihistamines that block receptors responsible for the production of antibodies to the allergen,
- removal of pain, itching, inflammation and edema.
Of the agents that suppress the effect of the mediator of histamine allergic reactions for dogs, Sofradex ear drops are most often used. The active ingredients in them are framycetin sulfate, gramicidin and dexamethasone, which have anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and antipruritic effects. The veterinarian may also prescribe a suppressive allergic reaction to the dog's desensitizing drugs in pills or mixtures: suprastin, desloratadine, tavegil, levocetirizin. Dimedrol, Hifenadine. To alleviate the condition of the animal and the rehabilitation of the ears, painkillers and anti-inflammatory agents can be used in the form of drops: Ottinum, Ottipaks or Otodepin.
Most medicines, including ear drops, can be used at home, but this should be done correctly:
- Before instillation of the ears, they should be carefully cleaned of secretions and crusts with a swab moistened with a solution of chlorhexidine or miramistin, or boiled water.
- Drops before use should be warmed in the hands.
- In order for the dog to calmly transfer the procedure, press it tightly and gently massage the body.
- The animal's ear must be pulled back, then the drops can penetrate deep enough into the ear canal.
In addition to medication, in allergic otitis, a hypoallergenic diet is required for the dog, which should be followed for about three months. And since animals suffering from allergic diseases are usually at risk of falling immunity, they are usually recommended a course of treatment with an immunomodulator and vitamins to achieve a stable remission.
How to recognize it?
There are obvious symptoms of allergic otitis in a dog, which help to identify the disease at the very early stage of its development. These are:
- Visual change in the appearance of the ear. It increases in size, turns red, and wool partially disappears from it.
- You can try to touch it. A loving owner will immediately determine if his animal is in pain.
- It is normal for otitis media to leak yellow, gray or clear hue from the ear. It is necessary to guard if bloody discharge was detected.
- The behavior of the dog will change markedly. He will sleep restlessly, constantly scratching his ear and will often shake his head. All these signs will show a characteristic malaise.
- Often, with similar symptoms of allergy, body temperature rises.
If the disease is not eradicated in time, the most dangerous symptoms of allergic otitis in a dog will begin to manifest. Например, таковым является увеличение лимфоузлов.
Самые вероятные причины возникновения болезни
Аллергия – это такое заболевание, которое может появиться у каждого живого организма. Оно развивается не самостоятельно. Обязательно должен присутствовать «катализатор», который даст толчок развитию реакции. Experts have identified five of the most likely causes of allergic otitis in dogs:
- Genetic factor. If a pet in the genus had females or males suffering from this disease, then the risk of acquiring it from him is quite high.
- Improper diet and sedentary lifestyle lead to a decrease in immunity. The dog's body relaxes and becomes susceptible to the effects of external factors.
- If an animal is in a state of stress for a long time, then all sores are attached to it like a magnet.
- "Push" can give transferred viral or infectious diseases.
- It is possible that a new product was added to the dog's diet not so long ago or a medicine was used that caused such a reaction.
Allergic otitis media in dogs can develop on their own. Veterinarians call this ability an individual feature of the body.
Many livestock breeders know firsthand how allergic otitis is manifested in a dog. They are sure that the shape of the ear should change first. It is worth noting that there are several related symptoms that will allow to identify the disease in the very early stages of its development.
With the development of any inflammatory process in the dog there are problems with the chair. There is prolonged constipation or frequent diarrhea. Along with them, vomiting and nausea may occur.
Allergen can actively affect the mucous membranes. The owner will definitely notice that his beloved animal suffers from copious runny nose and lacrimation. A characteristic symptom is also continuous sneezing.
The behavior of the individual will change dramatically. She will become very irritable and aggressive.
First Aid Animal
Unfortunately, not all people have the opportunity to instantly bring the animal to a veterinary clinic. This is due to the lack of free time, the appropriate vehicle and low financial level. There are several steps that should be taken to alleviate the condition of the dog.
- You should carefully think about the pastime of the dog for the last day. We must try to identify the cause of allergies and eliminate it.
- It is required to give her any antihistamine that blocks the manifestation of an irritant.
- It is necessary to transfer the pet to a sparing diet.
It is recommended to inspect your animal every hour. If his condition continues to deteriorate, then going to an experienced specialist will not be enough.
Treatment of the animal is carried out strictly by those drugs that have been prescribed by a specialist. You should not engage in self-treatment, as there is a high probability of causing serious harm to your animal. After diagnosis and laboratory tests, the following drugs may be prescribed:
- "Leopard" and "Rosinka" are two universal remedies that will help relieve an allergy attack at the very early stages of its development. They should always be present in the first-aid kit of the owners of susceptible animals.
- If a pronounced edema has appeared, then only a drug with an anti-inflammatory property can remove it. The ideal option for such a case are drops from allergic otitis in dogs "Dekta".
- During an allergic reaction in dogs there is a strong, almost unbearable itching. Remove it will only help antihistamines. Excellently proved "Otodepin". It guarantees an excellent result, while having a minimum of side effects and contraindications.
The course of treatment of allergic otitis in dogs must include drops "Surolan". They will remove not only an allergic reaction, but also pronounced edema.
How to use ear drops?
Treatment of allergic otitis in dogs is a very crucial process. A positive effect will be achieved only if the procedure was carried out correctly. Before it is required to wash hands thoroughly with soap. It is recommended to additionally treat your hands with a disinfectant or wear sterile gloves on them.
From the surface of the animal's ear, you must first remove the sulfur and crusts with a cotton swab. This should be done very carefully so as not to cause injury to the dog. It is not necessary to enter it deeply so as not to damage the eardrum.
The container in which the drops are stored must be held in a closed palm for several minutes to warm the liquid to room temperature.
A drop of medication should accurately fall into the auricle. For this, the pet's ear should be pulled back a little. After completing the procedure, massage the upper part of the skin until the drops are completely absorbed.
What categorically can not do?
An animal is a weak creature that is fairly easy to harm. There are a huge number of mistakes that make the owners. Of these, five are the most popular:
- Veterinarians categorically prohibit self-treatment, even if it seems to a caring owner that he has already experienced such a disease. Independently diagnosing an animal is impossible without examination by a specialist. Arbitrary therapeutic measures can only aggravate the situation.
- Do not treat your ears with any sharp instruments, as this may cause injury to your pet.
- Before taking up the ear drops for dogs, it is imperative to wash your hands. Otherwise, the risk of infection and bacteria will increase.
- You should not carry out the procedure with poor quality ear sticks. The remains of cotton wool can penetrate the auricle and begin to decompose in it.
- Many owners allow a serious violation - they begin to try to process the ear with hydrogen peroxide. Dogs are very negative about this procedure. If there was pus in this area, then it will actively foam, which makes a ringing sound. The behavior of the animal will be extremely aggressive.
- If a person does not have a special education, then he categorically should not treat the dog on his own for the sake of saving money for going to a qualified clinic. Drops for allergic otitis in dogs and other drugs should be prescribed by a veterinarian after examining the animal and, if necessary, taking tests. On the health of your beloved pet you should not skimp.
How to distinguish allergic otitis from its other manifestations?
The appearance of any kind of inflammation does not always indicate the presence of allergic otitis in dogs. There are several options for the manifestations of this disease:
- Purulent otitis appears on the background of penetration into the ear of a foreign body or infection. A characteristic symptom is an unpleasant sour smell from this area. First, a small seal is formed that is easy to determine visually. After a few days, pus will begin to actively flow from it. Ear drops for dogs here will not be enough. Additional antibiotics will be required. If a foreign body falls into the auricle area, then it is necessary to resort to surgical intervention.
- The emergence of fungal otitis provoke a variety of fungi. This is one of the most common diseases among animals. Treat it only by wiping with a solution of phosphoric acid.
- Seasonal otitis appears in certain periods due to the large production of sulfur. After that, the surface of the auricle is covered with crusts, traffic jams appear, which cause discomfort in the dog. Only a course of antibiotics can help such a patient.
Every person who decides to have such a pet should know how to distinguish between allergies and other possible diseases. When the reaction is actively developing, the most sparing diet and rest, proper hygiene and grooming should be chosen for the animal.
In addition, it is worth noting that allergic otitis media in dogs is the most dangerous manifestation of this disease. The body can be completely unpredictable in such a reaction. There are several signs characteristic of this type of disease: severe itching, irritation and redness.
How to treat allergic otitis in a dog? Almost every caring breeder had to ask a similar question. Basically, the disease progressed, if the owner did not observe preventive measures on time. There are several ways to reduce the risk of its development:
- It is recommended to periodically make a pet haircut, affecting the area around the ears. In medicine, this process has acquired such a term as the ventilation of the ear canal. You shouldn’t do it yourself, it’s better to contact an experienced specialist.
- Many livestock breeders after each walk washed the dog's ears. It is absolutely impossible to do this. With regular such procedures, a healthy microflora is disturbed, which leads to the risk of manifestation of diseases.
- Water should not get into the auricle. If the penetration did occur, then the liquid should be carefully removed from the cavity with a cotton swab.
- It is necessary to avoid walking with a strong wind.
- Do not allow injuries to animals.
Once every six months you should take your pet to the vet to inspect the ears. This will allow to detect the disease at the earliest stage of its development. If necessary, the doctor will advise how to treat allergic otitis in a dog.
A sick pet needs to create favorable conditions for a speedy full recovery. Do not once again force him to play or walk. He needs a full sleep. If a dog has allergic otitis, it needs a diet. It is necessary to fill his diet with natural products with high protein content. It is imperative to give the dog enough liquid daily. If you wish, you can ask the vet to prescribe a course of vitamins that strengthen the immune system. If an animal suffers from allergies often (more than five times a year), then he is prescribed prophylactic treatment to block the allergic reaction. Usually such events are divided into several courses, each of which lasts from 7 to 15 days.
Does your dog have allergic otitis media? What to do in this situation? First of all, do not panic! It is enough to cure this disease if you contact an experienced specialist in a timely manner and start the correct treatment!