These animals have a much more delicate ear than humans. Therefore, it is more important for her to have healthy and clean ears.
Dust, hairs, dead skin particles get into cat ears. The body responds to this by producing sulfur. With an excess of this substance, it accumulates in the ear canal, and there the bacteria and parasites multiply. A particularly neglected case can cause otitis and other unpleasant diseases.
If a cat is taught to clean its ears almost from infancy, it is likely that she will receive a lot of pleasure from the procedure.
The cat can start to teach to clean from childhood.
How often need cleaning
The frequency of cleaning the organ of hearing is best determined by looking at the condition of the auricle. Usually, you need to clean the cat's ears 1-2 times a month.
For the ears of a young, healthy, properly eating cat, living in a clean apartment, sleeping in the owner's bed, there will be enough rare cleansing sessions. It is necessary unless sometimes to clean off excess sulfur and a little dirt. Inspect enough once a week.
In the pet, walking on the street, loving to lie down in the dust, communicating with congeners, having large auricles, ears should be inspected daily, and cleaned very often.
Another frequency of cleaning the ears of a cat depends on its breed. In sphinxes and other naked cats, sulfur is produced faster. In long-haired breeds, like the Persians, the small ears are covered with fur, which is a natural dust filter.
Preparation of the necessary funds
Before cleaning the auricles, it is necessary to prepare means:
- cotton pads or tampons from gauze,
- neutral liquid - special solutions, boiled water, saline or chamomile decoction,
- hygienic lotion for the ears. It should not be confused with therapeutic drops.
These fluids can dry the skin in the auricle, which will only make the production of sulfur more intense.
Each ear needs to be cleaned with a separate swab or disc. It is imperative that the infection from one does not end up in the other.
With simple dirt, you can clean yourself. But there are cases in which it is safer to immediately take a pet for a visit to the vet:
If you find signs of disease, you need to contact a veterinarian.
Due to the shape of the cat auricle, the host can only clean the visible part of this organ. If you try to clean where nothing is visible, you can cause injury to the animal. So the ear is slightly turned out to open the treated places.
If there is no confidence in the good behavior of the furry friend, it is recommended to fix it for the time of cleaning the ears. It is worth the animal escaping during treatment, and the ear canal injuries are almost guaranteed.
This procedure is best done by two people: one person holds the animal tightly swaddled with a large and soft towel, the other cleans the ears. All that is required for this is recommended to prepare before the cleaning session.
Before cleaning cat ears, do the following:
- try to clean the pollution soft outward motions,
- in case of large accumulations or strong drying of the dirt, you can use warm hygienic (not medical!) lotions: moisten a cotton pad in it and insert it into your ear. A soft external massage of the ear will help. With it, the lotion is better distributed, and the dirt comes out on cotton. Two minutes - and cotton wool can be removed, and then proceed to clean the inside.
- To fix cat, as mentioned above,
- Gently bend the ear, opening to view its inner side,
- Pour in your ears 1-2 drops to (the instructions indicate a more accurate amount). While not giving the animal a head shake,
- Closing ear gently massage his base for 5-10 minutes, or at least 3 minutes: it is very difficult. At the same time, gently tell the cat anything,
- Release the pet and move aside.. The animal will frantically shake its head to shake out the lotion,
- After waiting for the cat to stop shaking its head, gently wipe the outer surface of its ear with a napkin or cotton pad.
If a lot of sulfur has accumulated, there is a way to make life easier for yourself and your pet:
- Drip in cat's ear heated to 34-39 degrees salinethen gently massage the ear so that liquid gets into the ear canal. The number of drops is determined by the age of the four-legged friend: for a very small kitten, one drop is enough, and an older cat can drop three.
- Give the animal shake off the sulfur and saline from the ears,
- Clean visible areas with a cotton pad.
What not to do
When cleaning the cat's ears, it is impossible to make rotational movements in the ear: the result does not improve, and the skin is injured.
It is forbidden to use cotton buds: despite the extremely cheap, they can damage the eardrum.
Moreover, you can involuntarily cause inflammation, leaving inadvertently particles of cotton in the cat's ear. And also, poking with a cotton swab in the ear pushes and tampers sulfur, which leads to the formation of a cork. Cleaning with a cotton swab stimulates the production of sulfur, while irritating the skin.
If the sulfur production is too fast or if the animal is worried, scratches its ears, shakes its head, it is necessary that it be examined by a veterinarian. The cat may be sick.
If the cat has inflamed ears, there is suppuration, severe swelling, crusts, scratching, also contact a veterinarian. He must examine the cat, take the necessary tests and tests, prescribe treatment, which can then be carried out at home.
So, cleaning the cat's ears is a necessary procedure that should be done regularly. But this requires the right approach, otherwise you can hurt.
You can clean the cat ears. A few days before cleaning, trim the cat's claws. At home, just before the procedure, play with it, avoid sudden movements, treat it with tasty items - spice it up and set it to a positive. When aggression and irritability are shown, calm down by scratching the chin or withers, otherwise it is better to postpone cleaning the ears for another day. If you still resist and do not give, then gently, without violence, wrap the stubborn in a towel. At this time, do not shout or hurry. Cats have a good memory and, having received once the stress of the procedure, will subsequently try to avoid it.
Take your ears a little to the side and gently, but twist as much as possible. On the inside there will be visible accumulations of dark dirt. A cotton swab is immersed in a physical solution or boiled water at room temperature, injected into the ear to a depth of not more than 1 cm, so as not to damage the eardrum. Careful movements are moving from the inside out, cleaning out, and not vice versa.
Without regular cleaning, the sulfur plugs block the ear canal and the cat loses hearing.
Next, clean the inside using a cosmetic cotton pad, napkin or a piece of the same towel. Keep a flashlight at hand, with him easier to conduct an inspection.
Healthy ears: why is it so important?
Cat hearing is an equally important organ that gives it a glimpse of the outside world than vision. With it, the animals are oriented in space, determine the distance to the noise source and its direction. A well-developed acoustic device helps the cat to recognize the ultrasonic vibrations and is indispensable when hunting for rodents. Excellent hearing and orientation contribute to the survival of the metropolis.
Late hygiene of auricles can cause the development of sulfur plugs. Increased sulfur formation is a kind of protective reaction of the body to the penetration of dirt and dust, protection of the middle ear.
Some pets are prone to increased production of sulfur due to the peculiarities of the metabolism in their body. The accumulation of sulfur deposits over time can become infected with viruses, bacteria, fungi. The rapidly developing inflammatory process weakens the immune system, and the animal becomes unarmed in front of parasitic diseases, often affected by ear mites (otodectosis).
Increased sulfur production is characterized by rocks with large auricles. (savannah, abyssinian and somali cat)as well as breeds with minimal coat (sphinxes, peterbald).
Dense old formations of sulfur often lead to deafness, and also because of the pressure on the eardrum cause nausea and vomiting. Therefore, to preserve hearing for many years it is important to regularly clean the ears of a cat. This procedure will prevent the development of inflammation, otitis, ear mite, hearing loss.
Materials for the procedure
For hygienic manipulation will require not only a certain skill, but materials and equipment. The following items should be ready:
- Cotton swabs or discs. Needed to free the ear from dust, dirt before direct cleaning.
- Cotton buds. In the question of how to brush the ears of a cat, it is better to give preference to ready-made tools. It is not recommended to use home-made devices, winding cotton wool on matches or other thin objects. This can injure the pet's ear. Ideally, chopsticks are suitable for children with a limiter. They are safe, the risk of injury is minimal.
- Means for cleansing the ears. For treatment, you can use handy disinfectants, for example, 3% boric acid solution, hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine solution. It is convenient to treat the ears of the pet with special solutions for the care of the auricles, for example, Barsom, Otoklinom, Rosinka, as well as products for the care of ears of foreign manufacturers, for example, Leo Cat Cleaner, Otifree, preparations of Nartz. Specialized tools help to more effectively dissolve sulfur deposits and pollution, do not irritate the delicate skin of the pet and are hypoallergenic substances. In addition to drops and gels, special wipes impregnated with disinfectant solutions are available for cleaning the ears of cats.
- For especially intractable pets, in addition to ear tools and tools, you will also need towel. If the animal is not accustomed to the procedure, it is better to wrap it in a blanket, blanket or towel to avoid injuries during the manipulation.
Teach to clean gradually
Cleaning the ears of a pet at home is not difficult, provided that the animal is accustomed to it from an early age. The owner of the cat should be patient and, using the elements of training, form a neutral attitude to the manipulation of the animal. As a rule, pets who are accustomed to cleaning their ears since childhood do not have violent resistance.
It will be easier for a cat to get used to the procedure if you take it daily to your knees and inspect the auricle with a flashlight. When carrying out the very manipulation of cleaning, the pet will already be accustomed to, that attention is paid to his ears and there will be no obvious aggression on his part.
Moments to which the owner should pay attention to properly clean the ears:
- You should have your pet claw cut beforehand or wear special anti-scratch pads.
- Preparation and conduct of the manipulation must take place in a calm and familiar to the cat atmosphere. Do not shout loudly, unnerve the animal.
- To perform the procedure, the pet should be placed on your lap, covered with a blanket, blanket or large towel. To give the opportunity to get used to the new place, to stroke, to caress. Let the animal smell the materials cooked alongside it.
- After the cat calms down, you should bend the auricle, wrapping it outside. Dry dust pad to remove dust, hairs, surface contamination. At this stage, you can examine the ear with a flashlight, assess the degree of contamination, the localization of sulfur.
- Moistened in a disinfecting solution with a cotton disc removes dirt, ear wax, changing the disc as it gets dirty. Do it in a circular motion, moving from the inside to the outside.
- When using specialized care products, they can wash the cat's ears. It is convenient to do this from the dispenser or use an eye dropper. After the introduction of fluid ear is massaged at the base for uniform distribution of the solution. Such manipulation will help to more effectively dissolve earwax and pollution.
- After cleansing with a cotton pad, they proceed to a more thorough treatment of the ear bends using cotton swabs. They are moistened in a disinfectant fluid and gently scrub dirt, changing sticks as they become soiled. Wipe the ears until the fleece is clean.
- At the slightest anxiety, the pet is stroked, soothed, and at the end of the manipulation they are treated to a treat.
To learn how to clean the ears of a cat, see this video:
If the animal is not accustomed to the procedure and violently resists, then it is necessary to resort to outside help. Pet should be twisted in a towel, leaving only the head outside. It is not necessary to “swaddle” tightly in order to avoid aggression, it is enough that the cat does not twist its head. The assistant will keep the obstinate animal, and the owner will carry out the necessary manipulation.
Special approach to kittens
Small fluffy lumps must patiently endure a variety of hygienic procedures from an early age. To clean the ears of kittens can be the same means intended for adult cats. When carrying out the manipulation, it is necessary to act carefully, without going deep into the ear.
Experienced breeders recommend kittens to wash their ears using specialized care products or saline.. For these purposes it is strictly forbidden to use soap means, liquids based on alcohol and vinegar.
To wash the ears of the kitten, you must first drop 4 to 5 drops, massage and then drop 5 to 6 drops of a special cleaning solution deeper. The kitten shakes its head at the same time, which is a normal reaction of the animal. Then you should well massage the base of the ears. Such a manipulation will greatly facilitate the subsequent cleaning with a cotton pad and sticks. The rest of the hygienic procedure in small kittens is no different from that in adult animals.
In order for a pet to be always alert and healthy, it is not enough to take care only of its nutrition. Hygienic procedures, in particular, ear cleaning, play an important role in maintaining and maintaining good health. Schooling an animal from an early age to this manipulation, knowledge of the rules for performing the procedure is a pledge not only of clean ears, but also prevention of diseases, preservation of hearing for many years.
How to clean the cat's ears at home than it is. How to remove a tick from a cat: how to remove it. The cat on the ears tubercles: what to treat, what to do if.
If a cat scratches its ears, then this is not always a sign of some serious illness. . How to properly clean the ears of a cat: After bathing, you should clean the ears of water to avoid otitis.
However, not all owners know how to wash a cat, how to teach an animal to this procedure, what means to use, how often to bathe. . How to clean the cat's ears at home than it is.
Why do cats have dirt in their ears?
Sulfur extraction in the auditory canal is a completely natural process. Increased sulfur formation serves as a protective reaction of the cat's body from dust and dirt entering the middle ear. Small kittens that are with the mother, ears cleans and licks the cat itself. Adult pets manage on their own, but sometimes they cannot do it on their own and need the help of their owner.
Little mommy cat is cleaning her ears
In some cases, for example, when an animal likes to climb in dusty and dirty places (at the entresol, under cabinets, etc.), dust particles stick to the adhesive in their ears. If it is not removed in time, the dirt accumulates and can become a breeding ground for the development of various viruses, bacteria and fungal infections. The inflammatory process significantly reduces the immune system, so the cat's body is not able to fully defend itself against the penetration of a microscopic parasite - the ear tick.
Healthy cat cleans ears herself
A healthy cat has sulfuric matter of a light brownish hue.
The amount of pollution is directly related to the size and shape of the ears of a cat, the activity of the glands that produce sulfur, as well as the nature and behavior of the pet. A mobile animal that strives to climb into every crevice is more susceptible to sedimentation of dirt in the ears. How quickly the auricles get dirty is largely determined by the pedigree signs of the pet. Some breeds of cats are distinguished by increased production of sulfur due to the individual characteristics of metabolic processes in their bodies. Кошачьи породы, обладающие большими размерами ушных раковин (большеухий рекс, абссинская кошка и пр.,) и те, у которых внутри ушей очень мало шерсти (сфинкс, петерболд и др.), чаще подвержены различным проблемам с ушами.
У некоторых пород кошек уши пачкаются сильнее
Плотные серные пробки часто приводят к снижению слуха и даже глухоте. Нередки и нарушения в работе вестибулярного аппарата, вызванные давлением образовавшегося уплотнения на слуховой проход, а затем и на среднее ухо.
Периодичность чистки ушей
A healthy pet does not need constant cleaning of the ears, usually this is done only if the need arises. Prophylactic visual inspection is recommended at least once every 10–14 days. It is enough to clean the pet's ears from the accumulated dirt once a month.
You should regularly examine the cat's ears.
Cats breeds prone to increased deposition of sulfur substances, inspect much more often. It all depends on the specific physiological characteristics of the pet. Some animals need ear cleaning every 2–3 days.
Sphynx ears should be cleaned more often.
We clean the cat ears at home
It is believed that without urgent need to carry out hygienic cleansing activities should not be, because these manipulations can damage the delicate skin and disrupt the natural microflora in the cat's ear.
Too often a healthy cat doesn’t need to clean the ears.
The indications for cleaning the ears are the following factors:
- Increased sulfur formation. This is an individual feature of the animal. Auricles clean when they become dirty.
- The presence of the disease (otitis, otodektoz, etc.). Processing is carried out daily.
- Preparation for exhibition events. At cat shows should look perfect.
- Excessive amount of wool inside the ears. Wool hairs interfere with normal air exchange in the auricle, therefore the risk of the emergence and development of pathogenic microflora increases. Sometimes you even have to remove extra hairs from the inside.
- After swimming. It is necessary to remove the remains of moisture from the ears in order to avoid the development of otitis.
After bathing, the cat must clean the ears to remove residual moisture.
All necessary fixtures and materials for hygiene measures should be prepared in advance. When cleaning the ears, animals experience some discomfort, so the time of the procedure should be reduced as far as possible.
Need to prepare cotton swabs and discs for ear cleaning.
The following subjects should be prepared ahead of time:
- Cotton buds. You need to use only finished products manufactured in the factory way. It is better not to use homemade devices that are obtained by winding a cotton layer on a thin stick or a match. A loose cotton swab can come off the stick and remain in the pet's ear, which is dangerous by the development of the inflammatory process. The most secure are cotton buds, which are intended for children. These products are equipped with a limiter, so the risk of injury is minimized.
- Cotton pads. Used to clean the inside of the ear from dust particles and various contaminants.
- Specialized gel or solution for the treatment of ears in animals. Such products are sold in veterinary pharmacies: Ushastik, Bars, Otifri, Oklin, etc. Special hygienic disinfecting wet wipes are a good alternative. They are designed specifically for the ears. If in the presence of none of the above was not, then you can use any available means (hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, a weak solution of boric acid, etc.). In the most extreme case, it is allowed to soften sulfur deposits with a little warm vegetable oil.
- Good bright flashlight. For better visual inspection.
- Towel, sheet or blanket. Some animals have to be fixed in order to protect themselves from getting injured (bites, scratches) during the cleaning procedure.
On sale there are specialized tools for cleaning the ears of animals.
A favorite delicacy is very useful, and you need to encourage the cat at the end of an unpleasant procedure for it.
For quick cleaning, you can use wet wipes to clean the ears of cats
Preparing a cat psychologically to clean the ears
Most cats do not like being crawled into their ears, because this procedure is unpleasant and sometimes even a bit painful. The earlier in the age to start teaching a kitten to preventive examinations, the less negative it will be to react to such manipulations. Experienced koshkoda advise to inspect the cat's ears every day since childhood, to give her the opportunity to get used and not to offer resistance in the future.
The cat must be psychologically prepared to clean the ears
The animal must be planted on its knees, cuddled, scratched behind the ear and talk in a gentle calm voice. You can give your pet sniff cooked inventory. If the cat does not feel threatened, it will quickly calm down. Then you can proceed to the manipulation.
How to clean the cat and kitten ears at home
The ear cleaning process includes the following sequential steps:
- An unadorned or overly agile pet needs to be fixed with a towel or sheet. The limbs and torso are wrapped with cloth, only the head remains outside.
Obstinate and frisky cat must be fixed with a towel
At first we turn out an auricle
Slight contamination clean with a dry cotton swab
Strong contamination removed with a cotton pad moistened with a special compound
gently clean all bends with a cotton swab dipped in a special cleanser
To soften the ear plugs, the product is buried in the ears.
At the end of the manipulation, it is necessary to treat the cat with a favorite delicacy.
From personal experience. When our cat was small, she very easily endured the procedure for inspecting and cleaning the ears. She was not disturbed by the manipulations with the ears, but by the fact that she was forced to sit still. I had to do it first together. But gradually the kitty got used to it and now it does not even need to be wrapped in a towel. She just sits quietly and waits.
For small kittens with hygienic manipulations need a special careful approach. It is recommended to accustom them to such procedures from 2-3 months. Breeders with great experience advise to use saline or special care products for washing. Do not use vinegar, soap solution and alcohol-containing liquids.
Kittens need to be taught to clean their ears from early childhood.
During the whole cleaning process, you need to talk to the animal in a soft and calm voice, occasionally stroking and soothing.
little kitten need to be cleaned with ears
At first, 4–5 drops of the drug are simply buried in the ear of the baby, then a little massage at the base and another 5–6 drops are dropped, but a little deeper. After a few minutes, proceed directly to the cleaning, using cotton swabs and chopsticks. All subsequent actions do not differ from manipulations with adult animals.
Most often cats suffer from otodecosis (ear scabies) caused by ear mites. This parasite lives in the auditory canal and feeds on epithelial cells. It is impossible to examine it with the naked eye due to its microscopic size, but it is clearly visible traces of its activity.
Ear tick with the naked eye can not be seen
Symptoms of the disease are as follows:
- the cat is restless, often shakes its head and rubs it against furniture,
- furiously scratches his ears with his hind paws, sometimes scratching them to the blood,
- the ears smell bad
- inside the ear you can see dark brown crumbly patina and crusts.
In advanced cases of otodekoza, hearing may deteriorate.
Most often, cats are affected by ear mites.
For advice, contact the veterinary clinic. The specialist will prescribe the desired drug for the treatment of this disease. Be sure to every day you need to thoroughly wash the cat's ears, using specialized care products (Leopard, etc.). The solution can pinch the skin slightly, so the pet will need to be firmly held, wrapped in cloth. After cleaning, as much as possible into the passage, the drops prescribed by the vet are instilled. So that the cat does not shake his head after that, you need to press his ears and hold him for a few minutes. Otherwise, the animal will simply shake the medicine out.
When infected with an ear mite, it is recommended to use specialized drugs.
From personal experience. We picked up the previous cat on the street in an extremely dirty and neglected state. When they washed it and dried, it turned out that there was a lot of dark bloom in their ears. Although he was not wild, he endured the washing procedure with great difficulty. We struggled with a tick for a very long time, the degree of defeat was high. In this case, the cat constantly pulled and shook his head, sometimes hitting it on the floor and furniture. Scratched the skin in the ears to blood. Then throughout my life I had to periodically dig through medications. You'll forget a little bit, the tick is immediately found again.
The inflammatory process in the external auditory canal caused by bacteria or yeast is called otitis.
The disease is expressed by the following symptoms:
- purulent discharge with an unpleasant smell comes out of the ear,
- the animal is worried and occasionally shakes its head,
- there is redness and swelling on the ear mucosa,
- the cat presses and scratches the ears, while meowing very plaintively (it is clear that he is in pain).
With otitis, the cat is restless.
In the presence of these symptoms, an urgent need to contact a veterinarian to obtain qualified treatment.
When otitis externally, pus is secreted from the ear.
It is strictly contraindicated to engage in self-treatment in any form of otitis in a cat. The inflammatory process can go to the inner ear, and from there to the brain. It is extremely dangerous.
If the cat shakes its head too intensely or scratches its ears violently, blood vessels burst and hematomas form. They represent multiple small brown spots of coagulated blood between the shell cartilage and the skin. This behavior of the animal may be the result of infection with fleas or ear mites, and may also be caused by an infection (otitis) or an allergy.
Hematoma on the ear of a cat does not require special treatment
Special treatment of hematoma is not required, it is necessary to deal with the main problem.
Cats lacking melanin (albino), bald animals, and individuals with white ears are subject to sunburn. The auricle first turns red, then the hair falls along the edge, the skin thickens and itches. Due to multiple scratching there is a chance of infection with infectious diseases. Untreated dermatitis can lead to the development of cancer.
White cats are more prone to sun dermatitis.
Squamous cell carcinoma
In cats, a malignant tumor of the skin (carcinoma) is sometimes found. Such a neoplasm is usually the result of exposure to excessive amounts of sunlight. It can affect various areas of the skin, but more often it appears on the ears. Manifested in the form of long-lasting red spots, seals, hair loss and slowly healing ulcers.
White cats sometimes have squamous cell carcinoma.
Under the influence of extreme cold, ear tissues are destroyed. First, the skin becomes discolored, then red, and later blackens and flakes.
From personal experience. When we bought our house, we inherited a striped cat. Despite the frost over -40 ° C, he constantly walked outside. Home came only to eat. The cat had almost no ears, only little hemp remained at the site of the auricles. His former mistress was an old woman and did not deal with pet treatment at all. The wounds simply bleached and healed.
Your ears may suffer from extreme cold.
For any suspicious symptoms, consult a veterinarian. Only he will be able to prescribe proper treatment and help to avoid serious consequences for the health of the pet.
Cleaning the ears in the vet clinic
In any veterinary clinic, professional ear cleaning is included in the list of basic services provided. It is advisable for the first time to ask for help from a veterinarian, who will explain the technology in detail, show everything clearly and give necessary recommendations.. Then you can make all the manipulations yourself.
In the veterinary clinic you can professionally clean the cat's ears.
Owners of expensive elite animals that require more frequent and thorough cleansing (lop-eared, sphinxes, etc.) veterinarians advise you to go to a veterinary clinic about once a month to clean your ears.
There are special lotions for cleaning the ears. If another method is not specified in the instructions: bury a few drops on the sink, fold the ear in half, massage, then wipe the sink with a cotton pad moistened with a cotton pad. If the ears are badly started (the dirt is not only on the sink, but also deeper) - then a cotton swab. And it is better (more convenient) with tweezers (not sharp) wrapped in cotton (it does not bend). If the mites - then you can instead of the lotion - hydrogen peroxide drip (preferably slightly diluted with water), it foams in the ear. Massage Clean the ear with a wand and cotton pad. Then drip drops from ticks.
We just simply stupidly swaddled and buried the peroxide, we shouldn’t pick at something in our ears, the veterinarian should do it, a special tool, you can damage the membrane, because at any moment there can be no control over the animals. And to put to sleep for such a procedure, even the stupidity of any anesthesia or sleeping pill strongly gives a heart to any animal, may not be oklemayutsya after all.
If it's just superficial, ie from sulfur or dirt, then there is nothing at all terrible about it, just swaddle, and dip a cotton ball in vegetable oil, but rather buy a special gel for cleaning the ears, and wipe the ears inside them, and in about minutes five ten, very carefully clean the folds in the ear with a cotton swab, the main thing is not to go deep, as it is possible to damage the membranes very easily, but if something has fallen or the tick has suddenly wound up, then at home, it’s better not to get involved to the vet, they are from tick and foreign bodies easily and They are added, as they use special extenders.
In my school years I had a kitten with an ear tick. This infection multiplies very quickly and is very difficult to remove. And he was brushing his ears to holes. Constantly shook their heads And flew from the ears almost bricks ... ... .... Half a year out. Climbed in the ear almost to the brain. And he endured, calmly endured this torture and felt that later it became easier. I cleaned it cleanly, treated it with an anti-tick solution, and after 2–3 days I couldn’t see my ear inside again — one blackness .......... In my opinion, I didn’t bring it to the end ... Besides, it is infectious. Itself then was treated because the kitten slept with me. .......
It is better to clean together. One holds on the hands, it is possible without a towel. And ear sticks for children. Very good Good means of toferonol against ticks and inflammation. Right now, we clean the kitten for 3 months. The first time I wanted to break free, but on the third one only unhappy eyes do and all such unhappy. Just say, all they say. And immediately the fun is done by the sly one. The doctor prescribed Otoferonol, do everything according to the instructions.
Sphinx, do not need to clean the cats' ears deep with chopsticks in general, not healthy, much less an animal with otitis. Usually, in this case, the signs of inflammation become even more pronounced (when picking, the surface of the ear canal is injured). It is necessary to understand the causes of otitis - maybe there is an ear mite, a bacterial or fungal infection, or something else. Depending on the reason, choose a medicinal product for treatment. It is necessary to clean the ears, but with a careful washing / softening (ask the veterinarian at the reception to show how to do it ... although some still recommend cleaning with rods). PS and deep cleaning of the ears with chopsticks for otitis is also very painful.
take a drop of Leopard (sold in a vet shop), cotton swabs, a blanket (towel, scarf, etc.). Swaddle the cat so as not to burst, dab the wand in the drops and gently pull it out from the depths to the outside. Change the wand after each fold! Only do not thrust deep into the ear, then the cat will have problems with hearing
Nightmare on an empty stomach
Video - how to clean the ears of a cat yourself
Adhering to the recommendations, it is easy to clean your pet's ears. You do not need to seek help from a veterinarian. It is important to teach babies from childhood and to carry out the cleaning procedure regularly. Simple hygienic manipulations will serve as an excellent prevention of infectious diseases, as well as help preserve the cat's good health and excellent hearing.
How often to clean and what to look for
This procedure is carried out as necessary. You should regularly inspect the ear of your pet for accumulation of earwax, household dirt and its general health. Heavy pollution is a favorable environment for the development of infection and tick infestation. On average, cleaning of the ears is resorted to. once a month, но всё зависит от породы: у безшерстных кошек ушная сера скапливается гораздо чаще, чем у длинношерстных.
Обратите внимание на изменение поведения питомца, вам стоит насторожиться в случаях, если:
- питомец часто трогает уши лапой,
- он их «расчесал»,
- стал чаще трясти головой,
- когда его зовут к себе, он поворачивает голову не прямо, а на одну сторону.
In such cases, we do not recommend performing the procedure yourself, as this is due to more serious reasons. Bring your pet to the vet, so you will kill three birds with one stone:
- the doctor will examine the cat completely,
- they will teach you to brush his ears with a living example,
- if diseases occur, their treatment will begin on time and will not entail serious consequences.
Materials and tools
In many breeds, the auricles are rather large, so it is possible to remove the main contamination with cotton pads. It is most convenient to fold them in half to form a sharp corner.
Just want to make a reservation that in no case can not penetrate them inside the ear! Cleaning the ears by analogy with the human is a big mistake. Your task is to remove only visible surface contamination. An attempt to clean the ear canal may end for an animal with a trauma, and irreparable. Sticks are suitable for pets with a ribbed structure of the auricle.
The stores feature a large number of special solutions for cleaning cat ears. From Russian popular:
There are no general instructions for their use, each product has its own, do not forget that sellers can ask any questions about the product. In any case, it is necessary to give preference to just such drugs, since they are hypoallergenic and do not irritate the skin of a pet.
Drops or gel after cleaning
It is a preventive measure that protects the animal from infections and ear mites.
Unobvious subject, but in this way you will greatly facilitate their fate. The flashlight will allow you to consider any changes that have occurred since the last cleaning. Try not to get them in the cat's eyes.
What can not be applied
The use of the following means is strictly prohibited:
- Any types of oils.
- Hydrogen peroxide.
- Solutions of soda, potassium permanganate and vinegar.
- Alcohol-containing agents.
It is obvious that all of the above liquids will lead to undesirable consequences in the form of burns, abscesses, inflammation and violations of the integrity of the skin.
Go to action
- Before you brush your cat's ears, make a thorough inspection, plan your actions. Holding the tip of the ear, wrap it back to open yourself a review. Inspection produce for the included flashlight.
- To avoid injury, earwax must be softened. To do this, turn the cat's head to the side and drop some saline or a purchased product. Wait a couple of minutes and easily massage the base of the ear. Try not to shake your cat's head to keep as much money as possible inside.
- Gently move to remove dirt. Consider that they have a very difficult device ear canals, which are connected almost at a right angle, so act very carefully, not in a hurry. Start cleaning from the inside of the auricle. Do not penetrate the wand too deeply so as not to hurt your pet or damage. Clean the outer, ribbed parts of the sink in the last place, because it most often brings pleasure to cats, which means it will be more relaxed in the process of cleaning the second ear.
- After the procedure, apply special drops after cleaning.
If the cat has an ear mite or otitis
If significant dark secretions are seen in the depth of the auricle, it is possible if the cat has a bacterial or fungal otitis or is infected with an ear mite.
The ear tick is a parasite that lives inside the ear canal of a pet. Unfortunately, its size is so small that it is impossible to see it with the naked eye, but the products of its vital activity are clearly visible - dark flakes. If the cat is diagnosed, the ears should be cleaned more often than usual, and an additional point is introduced into the process - after the end of the normal procedure, the medicine is buried. Do not get involved - one time in 4-5 days will be enoughotherwise, irritation of the skin epithelium is likely.
When otitis, cleaning at home is strictly prohibited. Do not save on the health of your pet - clean only in the veterinary clinic.
What to do with a kitten?
First of all, it is worth noting that the pollution of the ears of kittens is most often manifested only in the presence of diseases, but there are always exceptions. To clean the ears of kittens can be exactly the same methods and materials as adult cats. Veterinarians recommend washing their ears with special solutions - so it is possible to save the fragile and delicate auditory system from unnecessary stress and interventions. It's time to apply the techniques of training and teach him to enjoy the hygienic procedures. Let him regard it as a kind of game, for participating in which he receives an award - delicacy and affection.
The washing procedure is simple - 4-5 drops of the product are placed in the ear canal, then you need to wait 1-2 minutes, then repeat the procedure. In the process, a kitten may behave unnaturally, for example, to shake your head and even meow - do not be afraid, this is a normal reaction.