How to care for a hamster at home? This question arises in the head of a person when he is going to have a small rodent. Now we will analyze this topic in detail.
So, how to care for a Syrian hamster? How to keep junglear?
Whatever breed you choose a rodent, he, of course, needs a cage of medium size (more than 50 x 30 cm). Note that the three-liter jar is not suitable for keeping rodents, as they will be close there. If there is no possibility to get a cage, but there is an aquarium at home, then it can be used as a hamster house, of course, without water.
How to care for a hamster at home and where to put his house? Near the cell should not be a hot battery, as well as noisy objects (for example, a radio or TV). Bright sunlight is harmful to these rodents. Therefore, it should not fall into their home. Keep the cage out of reach of small children and other pets.
The second thing you need to buy, going to start a hamster, is a filler. Currently, there is a wide range of products in this category, so it is not necessary to use unsuitable things as bedding, such as, for example, cotton wool. The best filler is medium sized sawdust. Hamsters like to dig in them.
You will also need a house. In this place the hamster will sleep, as well as hide its supplies. That is, in such a dwelling the rodent will spend most of its life. Note that hamsters eat even in a half asleep state.
Therefore, it is necessary that the house was well ventilated, with windows and a hole for entry, it is desirable that the cover was removable. The best option is plastic housing. It is easy to clean, dries quickly. A more eco-friendly option is a wooden house. But he, unfortunately, is not hygienic.
You also need to purchase a wheel. Without this element, the hamster will be bored. In addition, such a simulator is necessary for animals to dump extra grams. Thanks to this device, animals realize the natural need for physical activity. It is desirable that the wheel was attached to something, otherwise it may fall. A good option is to attach the device to the back of the cage at a small height from the floor. So you also save space. It is best to choose a metal wheel with wide rods so that the hamster paws do not fall through.
What else do you need to buy to keep a rodent? Drinking trough It must be attached to the cell. Its main function is to provide the rodent with drinking water. It is advisable to use boiled or mineral. Tap water may cause diarrhea in an animal. You need to change the water in the drinker every other day.
How to care for Jungar hamster? Peculiarities of care are the same as for other breeds. In addition to all the above, I would like to say that it would be nice to get labyrinths for hamsters to climb. If there is no financial opportunity to purchase such items, they can be made from plastic bottles or cardboard. In addition, you can buy another walking ball.
How to care for newborn hamsters?
This is a very important topic, so we could not ignore it. If two hamsters of different sex live in your house, then sooner or later they will, of course, have offspring. Now we will tell you how to properly care for baby hamsters.
Even during pregnancy, the female needs to be transplanted separately from the male. In the place where you will transplant the mother, spread material from which she can build a shelter for herself. Straw is best for this purpose.
Starting from the first minute of the birth of babies, you should be restrained. No need to violently show emotions near the cage, such behavior can frighten the female. As you know, the extra stress of the newly-born female is useless. After all, she still needs to feed the kids.
During the feeding period of the calf, the female needs additional vitamins, so purchase them at the pet store. How to give them? Your doctor will answer this question. He will select the appropriate vitamins, dosage, etc.
What is the care for hamsters in the first days after birth? Now we analyze this question. In the first days after birth, do not change litter. And somewhere on the tenth (and preferably on the 14th) day, you still need to do it. Before such a procedure, transfer the female with the babies into a separate container. Note that before the 10-day-old, babies cannot be picked up.
As a rule, the samochka feeds the babies for up to a month by herself, so they do not need additional feeding. But, starting from two weeks of age, you can throw porridge, grated carrots, bread crumbs into the cage. So babies will get used to adult food. If the mother suddenly disappears milk, then they will be able to completely switch to such food. At three weeks of age, hamsters become practically independent, they already see, hear, eat regular food. When they are one month old, cubs can and should be set aside from the mother to avoid conflicts. That's all the tips for caring for small rodents.
Choosing the right house
Hamsters belong to the type of pets that are stressed for no particular reason. Of course, the move is considered an important aspect of the content, so you should pay attention to the transportation and selection of housing.
- After the acquisition, transport the pet from the pet store in a special plastic carrying. If desired, it can be replaced with a three-liter can. When you arrive home, do not rush to move your pet to the main house, let him get a little comfortable.
- Zoologists recommend using a cage or a large aquarium as a habitat, the first option is preferable. Do not keep the hamster in cardboard or plastic containers, jars.
- Make sure that the selected cell has dimensions of at least 60 cm in length and 40 cm in width. In this case, the rods should be placed horizontally, such a move will allow the hamster to move freely along all the planes of the house.
- Since hamsters like to sleep in minks, sawdust, corn filler for rodents, toilet paper or old newspapers (used in rare cases) are considered ideal. These options best absorb unpleasant odors. Do not throw cotton wool, a rag or colored napkins.
Features feeding hamster
- Many people mistakenly believe that hamsters are omnivorous by nature. Most of the products that people use are harmful to pets. At the time of purchase, consult with the breeder or veterinarian, what vitamins to add to your pet in food, what grain feed to choose. It is important to buy the composition marked "for rodents."
- Grain mixtures are sold at a pet store. The daily rate varies from 20 to 60 grams, depending on the age, size and breed of the rodent. As a rule, hamsters do not overeat, so there is no particular limitation in dosage. It is worth remembering that there should always be food in the trough.
- In addition to the main feed, you can indulge your pet with whole grain bread, cottage cheese. Also, once a week, give your pet whole milk, boil it beforehand. Dairy products are rich in protein, which is useful for wool, teeth and hamster claws.
- Hamsters have a passion for fruit. Prefer bananas, pears, apples, grape pulp. The main thing is to remove the stem and bones. In no case do not feed the hamster with citrus fruits, garlic, cabbage, onions and green onions.
- Many domestic hamsters love pumpkin and carrots, but the products listed can only be given in the form of a treat. In addition, rodents like pumpkin and sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, and walnuts. However, cereals can cause intestinal blockage because they contain too much fatty acids.
- As mentioned earlier, a hamster needs protein in order to live. Animals get it from meat, fish, dairy products, boiled eggs (chicken / quail), cheese.
- It is important to remember forever that raw meat should not be given, it must be boiled beforehand. The best option for this component of the diet is beef, veal, pork pulp, chicken, turkey.
- Hamsters are not indifferent to all types of cereal crops. Pamper your pet with various cereals, such as buckwheat, oats, rice, pasta (very rarely). You can cook cereal food in water or give in raw form.
- As for vegetables, rodents like zucchini and eggplant, peeled tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, Chinese cabbage, green salad. In no case do not feed your pet potatoes.
- Particular attention is paid to the drinking regime of the animal. Every day, change the water in the drinker, hamsters can drink from 7 to 10 ml. filtered liquid per day.
Stress management in hamsters
The first thing you should pay attention - the comfort of a hamster. All rodents are subject to stress, so it is necessary to prevent such situations.
- The owner himself can provoke discomfort when it influences the growth of offspring. You should not constantly check the kids, otherwise the female will start to get angry.
- A hamster can become depressed if you add new friends to him. You should not allow such effects, hamsters should grow with an early age. Adults are seated in different houses.
- Hamsters belong to the type of animals that feel great in the dark. You do not need to turn on the lamp of intense daylight so that the pet does not start to panic.
- Lack of food, water and even dirty litter can provoke stress. For this reason, it is recommended not to neglect the basic care for the pet's home. Try not to change the usual routine of the animal, do not move the cage from place to place.
- In order not to create hamster discomfort try not to scream near his house, speak in a moderate tone. Rodents feel calm and trust people more when they communicate with them tenderly.
- In no case do not take out the hamster on the street, he is very scared. Moving and even the usual walk can be the culprits of cardiac arrest in a fluffy ball.
- Keep cats, dogs and small children away from the hamster cage. No need to acquaint the animal with other inhabitants of the house, it will scare him greatly. Also remember, to clean the home you need not in front of the pet.
Basic hamster care
Cell cleaning. The main attention is paid to cleaning the home, it should be carried out 2-3 times a week. At the same time the place of the toilet is cleaned as it gets dirty, try to prevent the appearance of an unpleasant smell. At the time of harvesting, the animal should be removed from the house and placed in a three-liter glass jar, having previously filled its container in the container.
To disinfect, use a solution of baking soda or salt; if you wish, purchase a cell cleaner at the pet store. Wash rods, pan, mink. Replace the litter, part of the old mix with the new one so that the pet adapts quickly.
In no case do not wash the feeders and drinking water chemical means. Treat your toothbrush, pre-scooping it up with some baking soda. Rinse the containers thoroughly before returning them to the cage.
Walking Hamsters, like other pets, love to have fun. Since by their nature they are quite energetic, it is recommended to equip the cage with a place to rest. Line up an obstacle course, place a house, a wheel, various shelves. You can build a tunnel through which the animal can move from one place to another.
If you prefer to let your pet out of the cage, purchase a special ball for rodents at the pet store. The device is made of transparent plastic, its use does not present any particular difficulties. It is enough to put the hamster inside and close the door, then put the ball on the floor.
The animal will begin to touch paws, exploring the apartment. Such a move will not allow you to accidentally step on a pet, as well as prevent its loss. You can not make hamsters on the street. As mentioned earlier, rodents are subject to stress, as a result of which the animal may have a heart attack.
Claw care. Hamsters have fairly sharp claws that need careful care. The recommendation is particularly relevant in the case of older animals. Purchase a nail clipper at the store or use nail clippers. Regularly cut off the free edge of the claw, try not to hurt the capillaries.
If there is pigmentation on the surface, which does not allow to notice the capillaries and vessels, carry out the procedure with a day lamp. It will illuminate the claw, allowing you to carry out hygiene without injury. If you hurt your pet, drag him foot with a bandage dipped in hydrogen peroxide.
Bathing. Hamsters are rodents that do not like water. For this reason, swimming is recommended to be carried out carefully. Make sure that water does not get into the eyes, ears, nose of the animal. Hold the hamster in your hand, do not release it in the "free swimming", the animal will be frightened. Bathing is carried out in rare cases when the fur is heavily polluted and an unpleasant smell emanates from it.
In order to carry out the procedure in compliance with all standards, use shampoo for rabbits or even do without a cleaning agent. After bathing, hold the pet in your hand so that it warms up. Then wrap the animal in a warm cloth, carefully collect moisture and leave to dry completely.
It is easy to keep a hamster at home, if you have sufficient knowledge of nutrition and basic care. Get for your favorite grain food, spoil it with raw carrots, fruits, legumes and cereals. Regularly clean the cage, claw and fur hygiene.
The hamster will delight with its presence, will not bring problems to the owners, if you make sure that the habitat is completely satisfied with the animal.
It is easy to care for a hamster at home, if you immediately buy a house for it and equip it with everything you need.
The cage should be spacious enough. When buying, pay attention to the location of the rods. They must be placed horizontally so that the hamster at home feels free and can climb walls to any height.
The minimum dimensions are 30 × 50 cm, 25 cm in height. If the cage is larger, it will only please the pet.
Instructions for the care of hamsters provides the right choice of place for the cage:
- comfortable indoor temperature for an animal is from 20 to 24 degrees,
- direct sunlight should not fall on the cell,
- it is unacceptable to place the animal near the heating boilers, radiators,
- dangerous to put a house in a draft,
- the noise from the TV, other devices should not disturb the pet,
- the cage must be positioned so that it will not get small children and pets,
- the room should be easily ventilated.
When choosing a place for the animal, you need to consider that the younger members of the family can also take care of the hamster. Another feature: a rodent likes to sleep during the day, develops activity at night and makes noise.
Sometimes out of position and put the hamster in an aquarium or a three-liter jar. The aquarium (without water) can be adjusted if it is spacious, which is not the case with the can. For a rodent, such housing can only be used while the cage is being cleaned.
How to care for hamsters: daily care
Daily hamster care includes the usual procedures: balanced feeding and maintaining cleanliness. You must provide him with the opportunity to lead an active lifestyle and contact with family members.
Feed the hamster is easy. Now in pet stores sold a good comprehensive feed for rodents. If desired, you can create the right diet on their own using cereals, vegetables and fruits.
Products that are included in the hamster menu:
- oat grains and flakes, wheat, corn, barley, rice, buckwheat, peas - for the daily diet,
- sunflower seeds, pumpkin, sesame, flax, walnut kernels - as a treat,
- boiled chicken meat, boiled chicken or quail egg, boiled fish, low-fat cottage cheese - 2-3 times a week,
- dill leaves and dandelion stalks, lettuce leaves, spinach - as a small dietary supplement,
- cucumbers, broccoli, white cabbage and boiled beets in small quantities in order to avoid indigestion,
- crusts of bread (preferably rye, bran, whole grain),
- dried fruits, dried without the use of preservatives and sugar,
- The rodent will give pleasure to apples, carrots and bananas.
In addition to the products listed, hamsters can be fed with grapes, removing bones from the berries, as they carry the risk of blockage of the respiratory tract. Raisins are a feast for a hamster who loves the smell of dried grapes and has pleasant emotions when eating them.
Продукты, которые не следует давать питомцу во избежание проблем со здоровьем: печенье, картофель, солёный сыр, помидоры, ананас, миндаль, мандарины, апельсины. Категорически запрещено давать зверьку шоколад, даже в небольшом количестве он для него ядовит.
Правильный уход за питомцем предполагает, что у него всегда должны быть еда и вода. Зверёк сам знает, сколько и когда ему кушать. От переедания хомячки не страдают.
Мясо и рыбу для хомячка не солят, сладкие продукты сводят к минимуму. The emphasis in feeding is on a variety of food and environmental friendliness. It is dangerous to give the animal greens or vegetables with a high content of nitrates.
Keeping a hamster involves regular cleaning of the cage and inventory. First, the rodent is deposited in a safe place so as not to run away. A cardboard box is not the most reasonable solution, because a hamster can easily gnaw through a hole and crawl out. Capacity with high smooth walls (pan, jar) or another cell can become a temporary dwelling.
The pan, the sleeping house, the feeder and the water bottle are washed under running water using a brush. From detergents you can use baking soda and laundry soap. Caring for hamsters does not allow the use of household chemicals, which include chlorine or acid.
Inventory is wiped dry with a rag or taken out in the sun. When changing the litter, a small part of the old chips is left to keep the pet odor. The bars of the cage are enough to wipe with a clean, damp cloth. Wooden items wipe without detergent. The last stage is to fill the drinker with clean water.
When changing litter, you need to make sure not to destroy the buildings of the animal. For him, it will be stress when returning not to see his “nest”.
Hamsters do not belong to pets that willingly make contact. They need to gradually accustom to this. The only way is through feeding.
Putting the hamster into another “sweets”, you need to gently pronounce his name. And to do so repeatedly, until the animal gets used to the voice of the owner and does not like it.
Usually animals are bought for children who like to take care of hamsters. Children need to be taught to communicate with the pet. Explain that the animal can not "squeeze" in the hands, it is very gentle, it is easy to injure. It is safe to carry the hamster in the palms, folding them with a house.
If there is a desire to let the animal out of its cage, it should be done only in a room where it cannot hide or escape. When communication occurs on the sofa, you need to remember that the animal does not understand the danger of heights. A hamster can be injured if it falls from a sofa, chair or table. It is better to communicate with the pet in the evening when it is most active.
You should not wake the animal, raise your voice in his presence, frighten in any way. He will not understand such games, but may refuse to contact for a long time.
Hamsters are active by nature, for them movement is the basis of well-being. So that the hamster’s life at home is not a burden, you need to provide the pet with the opportunity to move as much as he wants.
But this does not mean that the animal should be walked on the street, like a dog. Freedom in this case means a great danger associated with infections by other animals. In addition, changing the situation for him is stressful.
In order for the hamster to move, it is enough to build labyrinths and tunnels, put the wheel, purchase a special walking ball at the pet store.
Catch a hamster, not accustomed to the hands of the owner, it is very difficult. Even in a normal room, the animal may die: cut through the electrical cable, eat a poisonous plant, get stuck somewhere.
If you know how to care for a hamster, and apply it in practice, the pet will be healthy and active. Care rules are simple. It takes a little time to feed, fill the water and clean the cage with water.
Children are usually delighted with small rodents and can watch them for hours. Anyone who cares about hamsters gets great pleasure from contact with a funny animal that is able to cheer up on the saddest autumn day.
Content of hamsters at home: advantages and disadvantages
Before you start a pet hamster, familiarize yourself with the main characteristics of this animal. In nature, there are several breeds of this species, among the pets you can mainly meet Siberian hamsters, less often - Dzungarikov and Cambel's hamsters.
A feature of hamsters is that they can feel good without their own kind. Their can be purchased without a pairif in the future you do not want to breed hamsters.
The advantages of keeping hamsters at home are:
- unlike the same cats, are not vindictive and do not remember the offenses caused,
- do not create noise in the apartment,
- easy to train,
- when eating juicy food for a long time may not want to drink,
- breed easily at home,
- do not show discontent when playing with children,
- for living is quite a small terrarium,
- unpretentious in food.
However, you should be aware of such difficulties when purchasing hamsters:
- if the hamsters are not kept in a terrarium, they can spoil things and bite furniture, shoes and other things,
- so that there is no unpleasant smell in the cage, you need to constantly clean it,
- in winter, hamsters hibernate, sometimes wake up, then they need to be well fed,
- can sometimes show aggression.
As a rule, hamsters have a body length of 5 to 30 cm. The color of hamsters can be different:
- with a dark stripe on the back and black-brown heels in front of the body,
- white and fluffy (artificial Angora breeds).
Dwelling for home hamster
Before you bring home a hamster, you need to choose a home for him. A lot of people for this purpose uses an aquarium or glass jar, but such conditions for the animal to live are not suitable and it will experience discomfort.
Therefore, for a hamster, you should purchase a special cage with dimensions of at least 50 by 30 cm with horizontal rods. The gaps between the rods should be small so that the hamster does not climb out.
You should also choose the right accessories for the cage, here is their description:
- the filler is necessary so that there is no unpleasant odor next to the cell. The cage should be regularly washed and filled with pressed or granulated filler, they ideally absorb unpleasant odors. In addition to the filler the cage can be filled with sawdust, in which so love before going to bed hamsters,
- feeding trough - just two feeding troughs should be present in the cage: one for dry food, and the second for fresh. Separately, there should also be a drinker for the liquid
- mineral stone for sharpening hamster teeth,
- toilet - you need to constantly change the litter, because the hamster always chooses a place for the toilet on its own,
- running wheel - hamsters are very active animalstherefore, it is highly desirable to put such a simulator in a cage. The wheel should have a solid surface so that your hamster does not damage the foot.
It is highly desirable to choose one place for a cage with a hamster and not to rearrange it, since hamsters are not fans of frequent changes. It is also impossible to put a cage on drafts or near the beds or play areas for children.
How to feed hamsters?
Domestic hamsters should be fed several times a day. The second meal of the hamsters should be in the evening and for this reception should give him high-calorie food, because for hamsters nocturnal lifestyle more familiar. It is highly undesirable to give hamsters vegetables and fruits on a watery basis, such as cucumbers or watermelons, as the animal can be poisoned by them.
Once a day the hamster's diet should include special grain feedwhich can be purchased at a specialty store. The hamster will determine the norm independently, as a rule, it is enough for him not more than three teaspoons. But at the same time it is necessary to ensure that there is always at least a couple of grains in the feeder of a hamster.
Provide your pet with constant access to water and that it does not throw sawdust in a bowl of water, it is better to choose an automatic drinker. Do not forget to follow during the day for its content. If a hamster does not drink a drop of water during the day, he may die.
Valid foods for hamster nutrition include:
- pears and pitted apples,
- pumpkin and carrot in limited quantities,
- nuts and seeds in limited quantities,
- low fat boiled meat
- fish fat,
- vitamins A, E and D.
Do not give hamsters such products:
- citrus fruit,
- Exotic fruits.
Features care homemade hamsters
Like most other animals, hamsters can be stressed. As a rule, their causes can be such circumstances:
- changes in the day regimen of the animal,
- lack of water
- external control of his offspring,
- the presence of lighting in the cage where he sleeps,
- sharing another animal, even a hamster.
Also, to avoid stressful situations in your hamster, do not speak loudly and do not shoutBeing close to his cage, do not make any sudden movements in this place, so that the animal does not feel the danger. If the hamster speaks quietly and calmly, he will behave accordingly.
Also consider the following tips for caring for home hamsters:
- Relocation of the hamster to another cage must be accomplished with a special tube. First, they push him with his hand so that he can explore a new place,
- care for your teeth hamster need to carefully and on an ongoing basis. If he eats not too hard food, then teeth grow fast, and it interferes with normal food intake,
- cell cleaning should be done several times during the week. During harvesting, the hamster is pulled out of the house and transferred to another place, for example, in a prepared jar. The litter is changed, and the cage is washed with detergent. The toilet should be cleaned regularly as it gets dirty.
- Hamster need to regularly walk. To do this, equip a special playing space. You can make an obstacle course, mazes and something similar. In this case, from the place of rest you need to remove all sharp objects, and nearby furniture and decor should be as durable as possible in terms of sustainability,
- you need to regularly monitor the claws of an animal, especially if it has reached a certain age. Claws trimmed with special scissors for manicure. Do not use a nail file, a hamster can get scared and hurt. In case of weak pigmentation of the hamster claws, they are cut only with day or table light. In case of injury, during this procedure, the foot is dragged with a bandage, and the cage itself is washed to prevent infection on the wound,
- Hamsters do not like water very much, so bathing without the need is not recommended. But if you still need to redeem a hamster, be careful that the water does not fall into his ears, eyes or nose. Do not let the hamster out of their hands so that he does not bite you. It is necessary to bathe an animal only at strong pollution, using for this purpose shampoo for rabbits. After swimming, hold the hamster in your hands for a while so that it warms up, and then wrap it in a soft towel.
What else should be considered when keeping a hamster in the house?
To keep the hamster calm and not under stressful situations, remember the following:
- populate it separately from other hamsters,
- provide the hamster peace and quiet
- do not show the hamster other pets
- clean the hamster in the house when he does not see it,
- do not interfere with his lifestyle
- never punish hamsters
- do not take it out on the street and do not let it fall on the grass, direct sunlight is especially dangerous for it, it can die in just a few minutes.
If you plan at home not only to keep, but also breed hamsters, then it will not be too difficult. They are able to produce regular offspring and feed up to ten broods for a year. For this mother hamster need to create appropriate conditions - ensure peace and do not pull out of the cage during pregnancy.
As you can see, it’s not so difficult to keep house hamsters in an apartment. With all the necessary conditions of housing and care, this animal will be a long time to please you and especially your children, who with great pleasure will play with hamsters.