When breeding laying hens, it is very important to take care that they feel as comfortable as possible to grow and develop their potential.
This applies not only to feeding and drinking, but also the right place to rest. It is such a place to roost - a special structure for chickens, which you can make with your own hands and do it quickly and from scrap materials.
How to make it will be further discussed in detail.
What is the perch and what role does it play?
Roost for chickens plays a very important role. This is the place where the chickens sit down to rest after active walks on the street or in the hen house.
When making a perch, it is necessary to take into account that it must be very comfortable, otherwise the hens will not even want to sit on it. And for this, when making a perch, one should take into account the size of the chicken coop and the hens themselves.
As you know, healthy sleep is the key to success! After all, the quality of food for which they are bred and raised depends on how well chickens rest and how comfortable they are in their hen house. And they should not sit on the floor or the ground, namely, on the roost. Therefore, all breeders of chickens are encouraged to approach this issue very responsibly.
Rooster requirements for chickens
When equipping a perch, you need to follow several rules:
- To establish a perch in that part of the hen house, where the light penetrates the least and where it is warm enough.
- The height of the perch should be from one meter and more.
- The distance from the ground should be about 60-80 cm, because, for the full development, the chickens need to move and soar to such a height, before going on such a long rest.
- It is not recommended to have perches on the principle of "ladder", that is, when one perch is located above the other. Then the birds will soil each other, besides it can lead to conflict among the individuals.
- The edges of the poles should be rounded so that the birds can sit comfortably on them for a long time.
The most important features of perches can be clearly seen here in this table:
Place of perch
Roost is best in the darkest and warmest part of the coop. This should be a place where chickens will be calm, and they will be protected from harsh and loud noises, as well as drafts and cold. Therefore, no doors and windows near the perch should also not be.
It is best to choose the farthest wall of the coop, since it is considered the warmest.
In order to rationally build the chicken roost, you need to figure out all the basic and minor parameters (for this you can use the table above). This will allow to take into account all the nuances when placing the entire population in the henhouse, namely:
- the optimal height of the perch should be proportional to the parameters of one individual bird,
- bar size
- distance between adjacent levels when the roost needs a multi-level.
Types of roost
There are several popular types of roost that can be independently manufactured in a matter of hours:
- Portable perch The structure looks like a table, and on its surface are perches. Unconditional advantages of this design is that, firstly, cleanliness is maintained in the hen house, as the waste products of the hens remain on the pallet, which is part of the perch. And, secondly, such a perch is very mobile and can be moved to any place without disassembling it into its component parts.
- Placement of poles at different levels. This is the most popular construction of the roost, despite the fact that it has a significant drawback, which was mentioned earlier in the article - that the hens that remained at the lower levels will be smeared with the droppings of those birds that sit higher. Despite this disadvantage, this kind of perch is suitable for small chicken coops, because it does not require a lot of space.
- Shelves parallel mounted on the floor and walls. Such shelves can be located both on the same level and on different ones. The undoubted advantage of this design is that the chickens themselves choose where to sit, and they can all live at the same height. This type of perch is suitable for small livestock.
- A small perch in the form of a box, ideal for a small herd. Its main advantage is that the hen can sleep there and lay eggs. But there may be difficulties with the fact that the birds simply do not want to get used to such a place to rest.
If you just want to get eggs from chickens, then you can do without a rooster. When might a male be needed? Find out about it here.
Chickens breed Lakenfelder often plant for decorative purposes. Read more about these birds in our article.
Necessary tools and materials
The standard perch will require the following:
- bars made of wood
- a set of nails,
- another economic tool.
Surely such a set will be found in the home of every owner, so it is unlikely that additional purchase will be required.
What should be noted on the drawing:
- The overall dimensions of the chicken coop.
- The location of windows, doors, doors, which leads to walking.
- The location of the nest, drinking bowls, feeders, mineral feed containers, etc., as well as boxes of sand and ash.
- The calculation of the fact that the perches were not in a draft, that their location did not prevent the breeder from cleaning the hen house, collecting eggs, and feeding and watering the chickens. Therefore, the distance between all objects in the house should not be less than 60 cm.
We offer you several drawings of hens perch:
After placing all the components of the coop in the drawing, you can start at least the main lesson - the manufacture of the perch itself. Correctly do it step by step.
- First you need to start processing the timber for the future perch. Deciduous trees are suitable for this (as a rule, birch is used), because they are very strong, do not bend under the heavy weight of several chickens, and also do not emit tar. Conifers are also suitable, but they are more likely to bend by weight, so the optimal bar size will be 4 * 6 cm.
- Next, the bars are cut into pre-calculated pieces, and the upper part is rounded with a planer or a knife, and sanded with sandpaper or a sander.
In order to make a stationary perch and fix it on the wall, in addition to the bars, you need to make supports with grooves that will be 2-3 cm wider than the bars themselves. Perch perches should easily enter the grooves. Due to such supports, the structure will be strong and stable.
- The supports are attached to the walls. To maintain clarity when mounting, it is recommended to use a bubble level.
- Finished bars need to be laid in the grooves and check them for deflection. If the stiffness of the poles is insufficient, then it is better to make intermediate supports for them.
- Additionally, you can attach to the perch a ladder from a bar or a ladder. The angle of the stairs is 60 cm, and it is better to position the crossbars at a distance of 20 cm. It will be convenient for the chickens to climb it.
- For multi-tiered perches, it is also necessary to make a litter tray. To do this, similarly, 2 parallel bars should be attached to the walls (at a distance of 30-40 cm from the floor), and a sheet of plywood or tin cloth should be placed on top of them. It is better not to fasten it to the support, so that at any moment it can be removed and put in order. The pallet should be wider in front and behind than the perch, at least 20 cm on each side.
Many farmers are also interested, and how to collect a portable perch? It is necessary to connect 4 supports from a bar or board at least 20 cm thick with two rows of crossbars along the perimeter of the supports. On the lower supports you need to install a litter pan, at a height of at least 40 cm from the floor.
In the manufacture of the pallet is also important to comply with the correct technology. Step by step it looks like this:
- The pallet can be made of galvanized roofing tin, and its width should be no more than 50-60 cm to ensure its maximum rigidity.
- The length of the pallet will depend on the length of the perch: if it has one row, then 60-70 cm, and if there are several perches, it will vary between 60-120 cm.
- In the upper rails you need to install grooves to lay there the bars.
- It is better to equip the pallet with sides of 5-8 cm in height so that sawdust and other garbage do not fall onto the floor.
- From a sheet of tin, using an electric jigsaw or a grinder, a sheet is cut out with dimensions pre-calculated on the drawing + leaving a distance to bend the sides.
- The sides must be bent with a hammer and a piece of board. It is better to make the front edge of the rim thick due to the bending of the tin around the bar of 2 * 4 cm in size. For such an edge it will be more convenient to take when cleaning the pallet, and it will also be more comfortable for the chickens to come down from the perch.
- The edges of the pallet must be cleaned grinder with a grinding angle, in order not to get hurt about its edges.
Install the pallets on a specially made flooring under the perch and fall asleep with shavings or sawdust. If there is an unpleasant odor or moisture, you can simply add lime to it, it disinfects the litter. It will be necessary to clean the pallet about once a week.
How to accustom chickens to roost?
Often breeders of chickens are faced with such a problem that chickens do not want to rest on the roost, but they do it wherever necessary. Likewise, it is the case that they can be carried not in a specially designated place.
If the farmer is confident that his chicken coop is equipped according to all the rules and there is a comfortable roost in it, he can try to teach his hens to sit on poles. But this process is not easy and will have to spend some time and patience in order to achieve the desired result.
It is necessary to take and roost the hens with their hands until the birds themselves remember that it is possible and necessary to sit and sleep on the crossbars. It will take a week, and maybe more.
It is very important to take each individual every evening and sit down on the perch and not miss a single day. Then the result will not take long to wait, the chickens will jump on the place allotted for the rest themselves and get comfortable there!
Well, to accustom the hens to rush in the same place, you need to enclose one egg to the place where the nest is planned. Then the chickens will see it and will lay new eggs next to what was supposed to be a “bait”. Also, after a while, the birds will remember this and will be carried in a strictly designated place.
This article has reviewed the main points of self-producing roost for chickens, pallets for roosts. This issue should be approached very seriously, accurately calculate the location of all the components of the house for chickens. It is also necessary to take into account all the details so that it would be comfortable to live and rest in poultry in the hen house, and it is convenient for farmers to clean, feed and drink all the livestock.
Types, their advantages and disadvantages
For chickens it is customary to make different types of perches. They always differ among themselves in the complexity of execution and the available functional features.
Among the types of such structures that can be placed in the hen, distinguish the perch. They are simple in terms of self-production and compact, if we talk about placement. The disadvantages include a low degree of hygiene, since birds that are higher, stain the lower ones. And the desire to climb higher is laid genetically from them. Poles are made to be placed along the walls, above each other, occasionally and in the corner.
There are also bars. This option is more convenient in terms of hygiene and comfortable accommodation of birds. Because they have more choice, hence the reduction in the number of conflicts. Bars are usually located on the perimeter at the same level. Sometimes they can be placed at different levels. This option is quite compact.
Hygienic perch looks like a table with poles. Making it yourself is easy. In the future, it can be easily moved from one place to another desired. It is permissible to clean and disinfect. One of the most popular and well-proven variants of this design is the roost-box, which can accommodate a few birds.
Placement rules and size requirements
Nests and perches for chickens are very important for their harmonious living, livelihood and recreation. There are certain rules that should be followed when creating a roost for laying hens with your own hands. It is recommended to place such construction in a warm and dark place. It should be away from the windows and the entrance. Because drafts are harmful to the health of chickens. Height can be from 60 cm to 1 meter. Here much will depend on the breed of birds and their dimensions. Perches for the youngest individuals should be placed below all. The height of the planks from the floor surface should be somewhat larger for layers. Which are necessary and useful physical activity.
Adhere to the principle that birds should perch on the roost quickly and easily. The size of the design plan, depending on the breed and the number of birds. The thickness is usually equal to half the length of the paw in the open state. In the design of their own hands perches drawings are prepared in advance. Because it is necessary to take into account all the parameters, as the birds should normally embrace them and be in balance. The side edges of the slats are best rounded.
Constructions can be placed under an inclination, and from below to create the pallet. Because some chickens prefer to trot right there. Eggs should not roll down and break.
For representatives of egg breeds, a distance of about 18 cm should be allotted, while the distance between the slats is 30 cm. For meat and egg species, this figure varies from 25 to 35 cm. The chicken needs about 15 cm per pole if the distance between the slats is 20 cm. .
If you do not comply with the above parameters, the tightness of the house can provoke conflicts between its inhabitants, poor sleep, a decrease in the degree of egg production and the quality index of egg products. Watch the behavior of birds, if they are quickly accustomed to the structures, happy to rest and sleep on them, then they feel comfortable.
Instructions for making
How to make a roost for chickens? Creating comfortable perches is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance. It is worth starting with the preparation of materials and tools. A wooden block, screws or nails, a screwdriver and a hammer, sandpaper and a good planer are useful. Next, we will tell you more about how to make the construction of the bars, in the form of a box and hygienic, which can be transferred.
Simple of bars
It is recommended to use a bar having a size of 40 by 40 cm. Beforehand, it must be treated with sandpaper and rounded. Before fixing the side strips, which will serve as reliable supports, you need to cut the grooves in them. Poles will be placed there later. The parameters of length, height, quantity are determined with an eye on the breed of chickens and their number. After the poles are inserted into the supports, it is necessary to make a pallet. Additional bars attached to the walls at a height of about 40 cm. The pallet can be made of any available material. Then it should be filled with a quality adsorbent. A good pallet can greatly facilitate the process of cleaning the owner of the house. Be sure to make a ladder with a slight bias.
To make the construction as functional as possible, it is recommended to make the transverse strips removable and to create additional fasteners on the side supports, placing them at different heights. In the case, for example, changes in the number of hens, it will be easy to rearrange the slats. On the sides of the poles advised to leave extra space. Since in the summer heat birds often have a desire to sit far away from each other.
In the form of boxes and hygienic portable
Perch can be made in the form of boxes or tables. It is also often called hygienic portable. The box will require 4 boards having a thickness of about 2 cm and a height of not more than 15 cm. As well as a grid and a sheet of plywood.
A box is created from the boards, which from the bottom must be sheathed with plywood. Put a grid on top. Boards nailed to the sides. The grooves must be made at the top of the structure. Pre-polished poles will be inserted into them.
The hygienic figurative version is somewhat similar. You can use an unnecessary table or create it from scrap materials. The slats with grooves fit on the table top. Poles inserted into the grooves. They make and fix the pallet, having placed a grid on it from above.
It is possible to create perches from branches of a tree, an old wooden ladder, a lattice which is fixed on a frame from boards. In any case, the design should be reliable and convenient.
If you have conceived to have a poultry, then you need to take care of how best to equip its home. Build a roost for chickens with their own hands - the right decision. You can make a house in a convenient way for you by selecting the appropriate material, size and shape.
Многие птицеводы делают насест для кур съемным, это намного облегчает чистку помещения. Оптимальным материалом являются бруски из дерева размером 50х50 мм. Их края следует сделать закругленными, для этого можно воспользоваться рубанком и наждачной бумагой, иначе на лапах птицы образуются натоптыши.
Observation of chickens showed that in the winter they are perched on, tightly pressed against each other, transferring the heat of their bodies to neighboring birds. In the summer, they sit down more freely and spread their wings. These features must be taken into account when they intend to roost for chickens. In the warm season it is worth adding bars where the birds sleep at night and in winter to clean them. Thus, the chickens will be located on them more densely, and therefore will not freeze.
Species of perch
The size of the perch for chickens depends on how many will be in the room. Getting to the construction of structures, the poultry farmer must know what they are. Then he can easily choose the form of a roost and the species that is most convenient for the bird. And she will not experience discomfort in the hen house.
There are three popular types of perches: made from rounded wooden bars, located along the border of the chicken coop, in the form of poles, in the form of a table with removable wooden planks. The roost for chickens, whose photo you see, has two bars and a pallet filled with sand.
This is the simplest and most demanded material for the construction of a perch. It occupies a small space of the chicken coop, the birds are comfortable on it. Usually the perch is mounted near one of the walls or in the warmest corner.
Often an inexperienced poultry farmer arranges poles at different levels. Doing so means provoking chickens to a conflict between individuals. It is known that the leaders of the flock of birds claim the places above. Constructing a two-level roost for chickens with their own hands is not recommended from a hygienic point of view. After all, the chickens, located at the top, will defecate on those under them.
Usually they are satisfied around the perimeter walls of the chicken coop. This location is good because it takes up a small amount of space and gives its inhabitants the opportunity to easily find their favorite place. Even a beginning poultry breeder will make such a perch for hens with his own hands.
Recommendations to be followed when constructing a perch
Every home craftsman is obliged to adhere to certain rules in the independent construction of the perch:
- The height of the structure should suit all birds.
- The bar is chosen so thick that the chicken legs are easily wrapped around it. And so she sat comfortably. The approximate width of the bar is ½ of the open paw of a chicken.
- The distance of the bar from the wall must be such that the bird does not touch its tail.
- Poles are made of such length that chickens are free to sit on them. Nor did they bring each other inconvenience.
- The roost for chickens should be placed in a warm place remote from the entrance of the house.
Placement of bars
The height of the perch for chickens should be equal to 1 meter. Many inexperienced poultry farmers unnecessarily raise it higher. This is a gross mistake. In order to climb the high roost, the chicken will have to spend a lot of time and effort. Flying off of it, it can injure other birds that are already located below.
All bars should be at the same height. No need to conduct experiments, it is necessary to adhere to accepted and tested rules. The fact is that the hens, obeying instinct, trying to hide from enemies, will strive to take a place on the upper bar. All this will provoke fights between them.
Double row perch
A convenient place in the hen house is determined, and the support bars previously prepared and processed are mounted. They are fixed at a height of 90 cm from the floor, their length on the sides is 60 cm.
Next, a bar of 50x50 mm is cleaned of all irregularities with sandpaper, nailed to the support. The second is fixed on it at a distance of 30 cm from the first bar.
In order to maintain cleanliness in the hen house, it is necessary to build a pallet to assemble the litter under the perch. It is placed on the flooring, which is made of boards and is located at a height of 40 cm from the floor. The pallet can be wooden, metal or plastic. Sand or sawdust is poured into it to facilitate cleaning.
Many owners of country houses, breeding birds and deciding how to make a roost for chickens, do not invent anything supernatural, but use materials for their construction. I must say that it will turn out fresh and comfortable.
For example, a perfectly functioning perch comes out of a simple wooden staircase. For this purpose, support bars are nailed on the walls of the house at a height of 90 cm, and a ladder is fastened to them in a horizontal position. That's all. Chickens feel great on such a roost.
Bars or perches can be successfully replaced with ordinary branches of suitable size. In addition to their main function, they will play the role of the decor of the house.
After examining carefully the proposed material, you can choose the perch that is most suitable for your house. Master the chicken coop with love, try not to miss a single detail. Getting started, prepare in advance all the materials and tools, then it will pass quickly and, most importantly, efficiently. Feeling your concern for them, birds will repay you with excellent productivity and excellent health.
Why do chickens roost and nest
In nature, chickens collide with many predators. The poet, being defenseless at night, these birds developed an instinct that causes them to climb onto the branches of the trees while they sleep. This instinct is preserved in the domestic chicken, so if left without a perch, it will tend to occupy another elevated site, climbing onto the fence, the door, the branch of the nearest tree, etc.
The roost is necessary for chickens for good rest and sleep.
If there are many chickens, and there is little space at the height, they will be pushed, dropping each other. In addition, in a small poultry farm remains the danger of predator attacks. A marten, polecat, rat, fox or dog, hitting a chicken coop, can kill more than a dozen chickens overnight. The perch will not provide 100% protection, but will complicate the predator’s task.
Nest chickens need to carry eggs and hatch chickens. In the absence of a permanent nest, chickens themselves find secluded places and rush there. This creates an inconvenience not so much for the birds, but for the person, because you have to look for eggs every time in a new place.
What should be the roost for chickens
The only material suitable for roost is a tree, as the bird can grasp it with its paws. The tree should not be dyed, otherwise the chickens will claw off the paint, and then eat up its pieces under the roost, taking it for food. The cross-section of the plugs can be round or rectangular, but round is better, because it is more convenient for him to grab. Even a simple raw branch can perform the role of a pole. Do not use boards or logs that are too thick, which cannot be wrapped around your fingers. It’s uncomfortable to sit on such a surface.
Rests for chickens can be made from wooden bars or thick branches.
The size of the perch also matters. Each bird should have at least 20 cm of the length of the perch. In close quarters, chickens will begin to push and push each other, they may even have a fight, and this is fraught with head and eye injuries. Large breeds need 25 cm. If part of the perch turns out to be empty - do not worry.
Height can be from a meter to two. If the perch is high, it must have a ladder or simply a sloping board on which birds can climb up. You can make the whole perch in the form of stairs.
Reference. Chickens tend to take a place higher, so they feel more secure. Therefore, the higher the structure is located above the floor level, the more comfortable the birds will feel.
Where it is better to place the roost for chickens
The roost for laying hens should be located in the farthest corner of the hen house, away from windows and doors.
This place has several advantages:
It is better to place roosts in the darkest place of the hen house.
- Chickens will feel safe going to sleep.
- In autumn and winter, the birds do not freeze (the natural range of chickens is Indochina's jungle, so they are sensitive to cold weather).
- During sleep, a minimum of light from lamps and other sources will penetrate the room (in bright light, chickens can wake up and behave restlessly).
The perch can be both angular and located along the wall; there is no difference. No need to have a roost over open nests or so that some chickens sleep over others. Chickens defecate during sleep, and such an arrangement can lead to contamination of the nests or pockets located below the droppings.
Attention! The room in which the perch is located should be well protected from martens, dogs and rats.
Variants of the roost
By location, perches can be angular or located along a wall, according to the number of tiers, single or multi-tiered:
- Corner roost represents one or more poles attached to two walls forming an angle. This is the simplest design, suitable for farms with a small number of chickens (little space).
- Single tier roost good in its simplicity. This is one pole fixed above the ground. If the height is more than 1.2-1.5 meters, a ladder, a board or a log should be attached to the pole so that it is convenient for the birds to enter. The disadvantage is little space.
- Multi-tiered roost suitable for farms with a large number of birds. Poles are not located vertically under each other, but at an angle so that the individuals sitting above do not defecate on those sitting below. This design has the form of an inclined ladder with a large distance between the steps (equal to the length of the chicken's body). Advantages: spaciousness and the opportunity for chickens to climb up without additional stairs.
Roost for chickens can be made in the form of ladders.
For chickens, it is not so much the shape and design of the perch that is important as its location and conditions in the room, especially in winter. When planning the future chicken coop, you need to take care that there are no drafts, dampness and other factors at the place where the birds spend the night, which can lead to hypothermia.
How to make a roost with your own hands
To build a roost, you need:
- To decide on its type.
- To decide on the place where it will be located, to make measurements of the room.
- Make a drawing (for a complex structure, a simple angular perch can be made without a drawing). The dimensions are taken based on the parameters of the room and the number of birds.
- Stock up with materials (timber, poles, boards, and for a pallet - slate or tin) and tools (hammer, saw, nails, ax, screwdriver, screws, planer, emery paper).
- Start making a perch.
Step by step instructions for the manufacture of perches:
- We process wood with a plane, file, emery.
- Mark up future blanks in accordance with the drawing and sawed. In the blanks for the supports we make holes or slots into which the poles will be inserted.
Before you start making a roost, you must make a drawing.
If the length of the poles is more than a meter, they can sag and break under the weight of birds. Therefore, the design should provide a backup.
Thus, the chicken perch is a construction of horizontal poles, fixed at a small height above the floor level, serving as a resting and sleeping place for birds. Normally, each chicken / rooster requires 20 cm of free space, and especially large individuals - up to 25 cm. The roost can be made independently from scrap materials. The poles themselves must be made of wood and be of such a size that the bird can grasp them.
In the video, a farmer shows his perch for chickens and tells how to make such a perch at home.