In the article I will review the conditions of the maintenance and breeding of the Maltese. It is often called Maltese. I will list all the features of the breed, its pros and cons, I will give a description and description of the standards. I'll tell you what to feed, how to train and how to properly breed.
Maltese Breed Description and Characterization
Maltese lapdog is a decorative dog, weighing from 3 to 4 kg. Differs in long white hair and slightly elongated body.
Other breed features:
- Dark brown eyes.
- Small triangular ears.
- Body length at withers to 25 cm.
It may be tinged with ivory or slightly give in red or red-red color. The hair is heavy and elastic, without curls. Maltese dog has no undercoat, so the dog may be kept in the homes of people with allergies.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Small size (mini and standard, with a difference in size).
- Easy learnability.
- Does not fade and does not cause allergies.
- Love and affection for the owners and children.
- Great health.
Disadvantages of Maltese:
- Regular grooming.
- Excessive activity causes the need for everyday walks.
- Sonorous and long barking.
- Selective in food.
- Can not live long alone.
- Increased risk of hereditary diseases.
Rules of maintenance and care
Maltese requires proper attention and care:
- Brushing teeth 2 times a week. When tartar appears, it will need to be removed at a clinic.
- Because of the long wool the eyes of the dog are often watery. They need to be wiped with a damp cloth every day.
- Regular cleansing paw pads and nail clipping once in 14 days.
- For long hair is difficult to care for. Many owners prefer to make a haircut. It is performed independently or in the cabin of the groomer. Long hair can be left, but then you have to regularly braid papilotki. Even in the absence of a haircut, the dog should do hygienic trimming of hair in certain areas once every three weeks, otherwise it will look bad.
- Bathing using special shampoos and balms at least once every ten days.
- Wool to keep the external attractiveness, if after the bath procedures dry it with a hairdryer.
Maltese has a high level of intelligence and memory. Because of the nature difficult to train. The breed is gentle, affectionate and very attached to the owner. Genetically incorporated protective function.
Maltese lapdog is energetic and sociable. She is trying to attract maximum attention. The dog gets along well with children and cannot harm them.
Dog training Maltese
Learning to perform Maltese commands should be from early childhood. An effective breeding method for a breed is imitation. Puppies watch adult dogs and seek to repeat their actions. The lesson is two hours before or after meals.
Light food should be chosen as a food reward. We should not forget that the Maltese has a weak digestive system. The lesson lasts no more than an hour. Every 20 you should take a break of at least 10 minutes.
Light food should be chosen as a food reward.
There are a number of diseases that owners should be wary of:
- Disorders in the stomach or intestines.
- Dislocation or contusion of the knee.
- Pathology in the work of the heart.
To prevent a number of serious illnesses, vaccination will be required according to the following scheme:
- 4-6 weeks - PUPPY DP.
- 8-9 weeks - DHPPI comprehensively with LEPTO.
- 12 weeks- DHPPI is complex with LEPTO, RABIES or RL.
How much is a puppy
Maltese lapdogs are considered a rare breed of dog. Its cost is in the range of 20 to 40 thousand rubles.
You can only be fully confident in the breed if you buy a dog in the kennel. Otherwise the risk of cheating increases. If the price is anything below the standard, this is the first sign of deception.
The cost is in the range of 20 to 40 thousand rubles
She needs to provide constant walks and active fun. The dog requires special attention in terms of grooming. Training is difficult, therefore it is important to have patience.
Maltese lapdog is a cheerful and cheerful dog. She has a stunning white coat and a high level of intelligence. It is recommended to purchase it as a mini companion. She perfectly tolerates even long journeys.
Maltese is a devoted friend who courageously intercepts and helps the host. Breed perfectly finds common language with children. For breeding dogs should first acquaint. They must get used and get to know each other.
a brief description of
The cost of puppies Maltese:
- Show class: from 60 thousand rubles.
- Breed class: from 30 to 60 thousand rubles.
- Pet-class: 10-30 thousand rubles.
- Without class: up to 10 thousand rubles.
Lifespan: 12-14 years.
- Differ in easy cheerful temper.
- Properly educated pets are very disciplined.
- Convenient for maintenance in small apartments.
- Eat little.
- Can be accustomed to the tray.
- Loyal to the owner.
- They have a high degree of adaptability to the psychology of the people around them.
- Friendly with children.
- They love to play, especially in outdoor games.
- Non-conflict, get along well with other pets.
- They require attention and proper education.
- Do not tolerate loneliness.
- Care must be taken, including for wool.
- Picky in food, prone to obesity.
- When an irresponsible attitude becomes uncontrollable.
- Due to lack of attention, lack of active games, walks, destructive behavior is manifested.
- Not very well trained
Photos of Maltese
Attitude to the owner, children
Maltese - great companions, trying all the time to be close to the person. Loneliness, indifference suffer hard. They are well adapted to the peculiarities of the nature of the people around them, can make a company in any hobbies of the owner. Dogs are very affectionate, kind and friendly. They are funny and playful, so you will not get bored with such a pet.
Maltese maltese is very loyal, in case of danger they are able to bravely stand up for their host. For children, the pet will be an excellent companion for games. You can entrust the dog to a child aged 7-10 years. Representatives of the breed are non-aggressive, however puppies can bite during the game or during a tooth change.
Maintenance and care
Maltese can even be kept in a small apartment, but remember that drafts are dangerous for an animal. There should not be direct sunlight on the bed.
The dog can be taught to go to the tray, however, walking is very useful for her. You should walk your pet at least once a day for at least 15 minutes. It is recommended to protect the lap-dog from contact with unfamiliar dogs, especially stray. Walking and feeding should be at the same time.
- Wool. Bathing - once a week, using a special shampoo, as well as balms, conditioners. After that, the coat is dried with a towel, hairdryer, carefully combed, and then twisted into papilotki to protect from injury and dirt. It is recommended to apply a special oil to the wool (along the entire length). Castor or burdock can not be used.
- Scratching - daily. Only a metal comb is required. Since there is no undercoat in Maltese, you don’t need to buy a Puchoker Matted wool is sorted and unraveled, then carefully combed. You can take baby powder or talc, it will facilitate the procedure. Particular attention should be paid to the abdomen area, the armpits of the front paws, since there are quickly formed mats, lumps. Use koltunorez impossible. When combing the tips of the wool trim with scissors.
- From time to time, hairs growing between the fingers and around the anus should be trimmed. The hair over the eyes is not cut, it is fastened with an elastic band. Hair coat on the head can be braided in pigtails or put in papilotku. If the dog is non-exhibition, it is best to cut it to make it easier to care for. For this purpose, you can use ordinary scissors.
- Eyes: wipe daily with a cloth moistened with water. Tearing leaves brown streaks on the face. To remove them, use special powders, lotions. For the prevention of lacrimation, instillation with a soothing lotion is recommended.
- Ears: weekly inspection and cleaning with cotton buds. To prevent the appearance of a wet sulfur deposit, you should regularly remove the regrown hairs on the inside of the ears.
- Teeth: brushing with a paste and a soft brush - 1 time in 1-2 weeks.
- Claws: clipping with a nail clipper and file-filing - 1 time in 2 weeks.
Health, prone to disease
In general, representatives of this breed are characterized by good health. Among the hereditary diseases are diagnosed as follows:
- Hydrocephalus. Manifested by the expansion or increase in the size of the head due to the accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the cerebral ventricles. The treatment is medicamentous, in the severe stage surgical intervention is required.
- Heart defects. Characteristic symptoms (chest noise, fainting, weakness, developmental delays, etc.) are already observed in puppyhood. Sometimes the disease is asymptomatic. Treatment is the medical support of the animal, in some cases, surgery is indicated.
- Dislocation of the patella. The main symptoms are: lameness, impaired support on the affected limb. The disease is usually treated by surgery, which gives good results.
- Hypoglycemia. Characterized by a drop in blood glucose levels. The main symptoms include: lethargy, drowsiness, loss of appetite, chills, cramps, loss of consciousness, in severe cases - coma. Treatment is to restore normal blood sugar levels. Patients are recommended to give a special balanced food. The multiplicity of feeding - every 3-4 hours (in small portions). It is necessary to limit physical activity, walks should be short.
Other genetic pathologies:
- eye diseases (overlap of the lacrimal ducts, glaucoma, distichiasis, retinal atrophy),
Choosing a puppy, care, maintenance, education
It is recommended to acquire a puppy in a reputable kennel. Experienced breeders are obliged to warn the future owner about the presence of any birth defects with which dogs are not allowed to professional breeding. A purebred puppy should have:
- scissor bite,
- moderately long neck
- correct topline
- deep chest
- wide back
- straight legs.
The boy needs to check the presence of 2 testicles. Puppies Maltese should not be too large amount of coat. Some babies are distinguished by a wavy coat. In the future, it straightens, however, this wool is thinner, caring for it is more time consuming. You should pay attention to the skin. If it is too dry, further it is threatened with dandruff, dermatitis.
Often there are difficulties with the solution of the question: who is better to take, a boy or a girl? Females are more agreeable and tender. Males are more savvy and better trained. However, in general, the character of boys and girls of this breed is almost the same. You can not just take the baby under 2 months.
The process of education includes: socialization, training for hygienic procedures, prohibition of undesirable actions. It is important that the puppy behaves adequately in the presence of people, not afraid, household appliances, cars, loud noises. At 3 months, the pet should have an idea of how their relatives look, as well as cats.
Even at an early age, the puppy must learn that the master is in the house. Otherwise, it is fraught with behavioral problems. Pupils feel the mood of the people around them, the pet can follow every action of the owner. It is important to timely and adequately respond to the behavior of the animal, depending on the situation, it allows you to strengthen relationships, develops a sense of security in the dog.
Maltese has a very sensitive nervous system and vulnerable psyche. You can not punish a puppy using physical impact. When communicating with the lapdog you need to behave calmly, balanced.
The best in everything: the pros of a beautiful Maltese
Maltese lapdog is the most ancient decorative breed. The dog is cheerful, cheerful and gives love to everyone who comes into view.
Due to the high cost of living, the Maltese dog starts not as often as other small dogs, such as Yorkies and Toy Terriers. Therefore, unscrupulous owners, breeding puppies just for profit, are several times smaller.
The genotype has also been weakly altered. And fans of the breed have a higher chance of getting a physically and mentally healthy pet.
Many owners choose Maltese due to their appearance. It is impossible not to fall in love.
A white fur coat (in some ivory-colored dogs), a miniature muzzle with black eyes, beads and a nose-button, aristocratic restraint and refined movements can instantly conquer the heart of fans of ornamental rocks.
Positive and negative traits
The sweet appearance of the Maltese dog is complemented by almost angelic character. She has many positive features:
- non-conflict, easy to get on with children, other dogs, cats, birds, rodents,
- playful, but in moderation - he knows when to stop,
- devoted to family
- non-aggressive - adult dogs never bite, puppies can bite, but not hard: play or random
- despite the good-natured nature, in a critical situation, the Maltese is able to protect itself and the host,
- not inclined to dominate, easily educated, suitable for beginner dog owners,
- feels the mood of the owner and adapts to it.
However, in the nature of the Maltese there are some negative points:
- easily excitable nervous system - Maltese is sensitive, often offended, can get angry or cry if she is punished or not given the desired,
- some representatives are stubborn, they will have to look for a special approach,
- often manipulates kindhearted masters, asking for a tasty morsel or breaking bans,
- very noisy - the lap dog is a watchman by nature, she barks loudly and loudly at the slightest occasion,
- intrusive, need constant attention.
Maltese lapdogs tend to love the whole family. She is devoted to everyone, does not single out anyone in particular. This point should be taken into account if you want to have a dog of “one owner”.
Some owners prefer other ornamental breeds. Despite innate playfulness, the Maltese is not very active. She quickly gets tired of moving activities. And her favorite thing is to sleep not far from the owner.
The recommended ratio of products: protein foods - 50%, cereals - 25%, vegetables, fruits - 25%. Nutrients should be easily digested. The amount of food should be an average of 2 tables. l./1 kg of animal weight. Additionally required mineral and vitamin supplements. Permitted Products:
- boiled meat (beef, turkey, chicken, rabbit),
- offal (boiled chicken liver is good),
- boiled sea fish,
- porridge (buckwheat, rice),
- vegetables (pumpkin, zucchini, carrots, greens),
- raw quail egg yolk,
- sour milk (kefir, cottage cheese, ryazhenka),
Fish cooked in a pressure cooker can be fed along with the bones. Vegetables, fruits give chopped, adding a few drops of vegetable oil (olive or sunflower). The yolk is introduced into the menu no more than 1 p. / Week., It is first mixed with cottage cheese and filled with 1 tea. l olive oil. Walnuts are recommended to give 2-3 p. in weeks., adding a little honey.
When you include in the diet of the new product is necessary to observe the lap dog. If she has reddish lesions from her eyes that color wool, then such food should not be given. Prohibited Products:
- smoked products
- spicy cheese
- cabbage, including cauliflower.
Feeding pregnant bitches
In the first month, the regimen and diet do not change; from the 4th week of pregnancy, weekly portions increase by 10-15% due to protein foods. The number of products with a large amount of carbohydrates, starch, remain the same. Food should contain a sufficient amount of proteins, vitamins, calcium and other trace elements.
The daily rate is fed for 3 times. By the end of the 5th week, the frequency of feeding should be 4-5 p. / Day. During pregnancy, the dog often changes taste preferences, so the diet should be varied.
Feeding in the postpartum period
During lactation, it is necessary to include in the menu food rich in proteins and animal fats. On the 1st week will do:
- milk porridges (rice, buckwheat),
- cottage cheese,
- a fish,
- boiled meat (on the 5th day of feeding).
You can not give food containing raw vegetables (later - you can).
On the 2nd week of lactation give soups in meat broth with cereals, raw meat, cut into small pieces. На 3-ей неделе в рацион вводят костную муку, витаминные препараты, минеральную смесь, свежие овощи, зелень. Для повышения лактации подойдут измельчённые грецкие орехи.If the dog was given dry food, in the postpartum period, it is better to buy diets marked “For puppies, pregnant women and whelping bitches”.
Good health is one of the main advantages of the breed
Maltese is a physically stable breed. Lives 14 - 16 years. Some individuals stepped over the threshold of 18 years.
The dog has a well-developed skeleton and strong immunity, which rarely happens in decorative rocks. However, Maltese, albeit not often, but still sick.
The main scourge of the charming dog is eye pathology and dislocation of the knee joint. Distatichia, glaucoma, retinal atrophy, and disruption of the tear ducts are most common. It is also necessary to ensure that the pet does not jump from high surfaces, especially up to six months.
In addition, Maltese is prone to:
- chronic heart disease,
- gastrointestinal tract diseases
A separate topic is nutrition. To overfeed a dog, even a little and occasionally, it is impossible. No decorative breed gains weight as quickly as a Maltese dog.
The difficulty in the care - the main disadvantage of the Maltese
The main disadvantage in caring for malteza is maintaining the condition of the coat. Without proper care, the dog will look like a pooch.
The first step on the way to the perfect fur coat - nutritious food super premium premium or balanced kind. It is important to give your pet special vitamin complexes.
For the care of wool will require several types of combs (with rare and frequent combs, massage), special shampoos, conditioners, oils. Be sure to make haircuts for professionals. It is also necessary to constantly collect in the tails the hair on the face, so that it does not climb into the eyes.
Comb out the Maltese lapdog at least every other day. But do not be afraid of a long procedure. She has no undercoat, hairs are soft, do not stray. The dog almost does not fade. The only critical moment is the change of puppy coat for an adult.
Good news for people with allergies and asthmatics - Maltese is hypoallergenic.
The rest of the care is not difficult and standard for many breeds:
- the eyes are often watery and sour, they are daily rubbed with lotion, examined after each walk,
- regularly check the dog for the presence of ticks and fleas,
- claws are trimmed as they grow,
- Ears and teeth are cleaned once a week with special products for dogs,
- bathe once a half - two weeks,
- it is advisable to cut the hair between the paws and pull out long hairs from the ears,
- muzzle after eating wipe with a damp cloth.
During hygiene procedures, special attention is paid to the area around the eyes and genitals. Traces of secretions can ruin the white fur.
Positive aspects of the content
In general, maintain the Maltese lapdog is easy. She does not need a lot of space, she easily gets on in small apartments. All you need is a cozy place, a sunbed, toys and a couple of bowls.
The advantages of the content include cleanliness of lapdogs. Often the dogs themselves are asked to wipe their faces after eating, they obediently wait for their paws to be washed, they are happy to give them a comb and bathe.
Another positive side - easy education. Maltese is intelligent, trying to please family members. She quickly learns to use the toilet, is naughty only in puppyhood, without any problems acquires the rules of behavior and basic commands. Enough several times to explain what to do. At will it can be taught tricks.
Maltese is ideal for families with children. She is calm and non-aggressive. However, to get a dog for a child under 10 years is not worth it. The baby still does not know how to properly handle the animal, it can hurt the fragile doggie.
Often, the Maltese can get older people and those who have little time. The dog does not need frequent and long walks. He easily learns to go to the toilet on the cat tray. It will be enough hour walking once a day. And if the weather is inclement, you can skip the daily ritual.
"Spoon of tar": what problems may arise?
Sometimes a Maltese dog uses his mind to manipulate a host. She makes a pitiful expression of a muzzle, refuses to obey, violates bans. But this behavior appears only in a spoiled pet.
The minus of the Maltese breed is spending on clothes. The dog will have to wear and shoes in the cold season. Therefore, the potential owner, choosing the Maltese breed, should be prepared for considerable expenses.
Maltese lapdog is considered elite. She is often turned on to emphasize her status, wealth, or position in society. But the pet is not cheap. For a puppy pet class will have to pay at least 20 thousand rubles. And the cost of an exhibition animal can reach 80 thousand rubles.
The Maltese breed is ancient, over a thousand years old, dogs delight owners. Homeland - Malta. For many years, decorative small dogs with snow-white wool were only in the homes of noble gentlemen, but later representatives of the breed appeared in other countries of the Mediterranean and around the world.
Some researchers, in particular, Charles Darwin, believed that the maltese appeared even earlier, in the time of the pharaohs. On the walls of Egyptian tombs there are pictures with images of dogs, similar to snow-white lapdogs.
The main standards of Maltese:
- appearance. Snow-white color, dark eyes and nose, light, almost airy, medium and long hair, without undercoat - this is a Maltese lapdog. The legs are rather short, the length of the body is almost half of the height at the withers. High decorativeness is a characteristic feature of the breed. Maltese small dog - from 20 to 25 cm,
- in a pedigree dog, the ears are snug, the eyes are “living”, running, which confirms the activity of the dog. An important point - the tail is narrow towards the end and wide at the base,
- weight. Pet standard weighs from 3 to 4 kg. The dog is often taken on a journey, carried in his arms: the animal sits quietly while walking and “coming out”. Many celebrities love the Maltese. The animal is less active than the Yorkshire terrier, but more mobile than the Pekingese or pug. You should not overfeed a pet: with obesity, maltese has problems with the functioning of internal organs. By standard, the dog should not be too fat and lazy,
- lifespan. It is important to adhere to the rules of care for the Maltese lapdog, then the pet will live 12-14 years. Often there are dogs whose age reaches 15 years or more,
- color A purebred dog has snow-white wool, dark only the corners of the eyes, nose and pads on its paws,
- character Maltese - cute, good-natured dog of small breeds. The animal is less active than the Yorkshire terrier, does not require long, tedious walks, which is suitable for older people. Pet loves children, but to strangers is suspicious. The Maltese cane is not tall, but the character is strong, the pet barks in case of strange noises, is not afraid of larger dogs. Maltese is a faithful friend, next to whom mood improves. It is not by chance that doctors advise everyone who suffers from loneliness, especially in old age, to get a dog of this breed.
Look at the review of anthelmintic drugs for dogs, as well as the rules of the procedure degelmentizatsii.
Why do dogs have festering eyes? The causes of the problem and effective ways to eliminate it are described on this page.
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed
- affectionate, kind dog with good character,
- loves children
- cheerful, playful pet gives a good mood,
- suitable for people of different age categories
- You can keep Maltese not only in the apartment, but also in a country house. Important to remember: the lap dog is an indoor dog,
- hypoallergenic breed,
- in the absence of the possibility of walking is not allowed every day,
- the dog quickly learns to the tray
- miniature pet is amenable to training.
- long hair requires good and regular care. Veterinarians are advised to pay attention to the procedure daily. At different ages need special care for wool. If the owners are not ready to allocate a large amount of time for the procedure, then it is worth buying a short-haired dog,
- After a year, the composition of the hairs changes, to maintain an even appearance, special papilotki are needed,
- in the absence of regular eye treatment, serious lesions develop, including retinal detachment,
- ears and eyes are very sensitive, with a thin skin shell. When wounds appear, it is forbidden to touch the places of injuries with your hands; otherwise, suppuration may increase,
- when overeating, maltese develops serious problems with the digestive tract,
- Every day you need painstaking care of hair, eyes, ears,
- purebred puppies are expensive - from 100 to 600-700 y. e.
The veterinarian tells the owner the advantages and disadvantages of each type of food. Puppies are given both natural food and ready-made food for small dogs, taking into account the breed.
The best option is to buy food for small dogs of the super premium class or category "holistic". Cheap feed should not be taken because of its low usefulness for a growing organism. In addition to high-quality dry food for puppies of the company Proplan, Happy Dog, Hills, you need treats for dogs, vitamins, biscuits, ears and heels to strengthen the chewing units.
Puppies are fed and natural food. It is important to give different types of food, to ensure that the food is fresh. Feeding - 4 times, in small portions.
Maltese puppy should receive:
- boiled rice with turkey,
Adult Dog Diet
Diet - twice a day, portions of medium size. A balanced diet is obligatory, so that the digestive tract does not suffer, and the eyes do not "get numb".
In the diet of an adult lapdog should be the names:
- lean meat products
- dairy products,
- fresh greens
- egg whites (it is allowed to give yolks only after 1.5 years),
- cartilaginous components
- almost boneless marine fish
- vitamin supplements.
Dry and wet food for small dogs should be super premium and dietary. For the Maltese can fit the products of the companies:
If eyes are flowing, you will need to switch to super premium dry food. Low-grade foods should not be given: the treatment of chronic problems of the stomach and liver is more expensive than high-quality feed.
It is not advisable to mix natural food and dry food, to avoid digestive problems.
Snow-white wool looks untidy if the owner rarely washes the animal. The optimal interval between water procedures is 7 days. Use zooshampoo in a diluted form so that dandruff does not appear on the skin. After bathing, coat the skin with a soft towel, wrap the pet so that the water is absorbed.
Wet hair dried with a hair dryer, gently comb. Do not overdry the skin or supply very hot air.
It is advisable to take the animal out to the street every day, but if it is impossible to comply with this recommendation, the dog tolerates the absence of daily walks. The Maltese dog is an indoor dog, unlike the Yorkshire terrier, it is less in need of long outdoor games and walking twice a day.
After walking, be sure to wash the paw pads: infection must not be allowed to enter the digestive tract with dirt particles. Wool should be trimmed if the pet prefers active play outside. Long hairs must not be allowed to drag on the ground.
It is important to choose favorable weather for walking, to avoid walking the dog in windy, damp weather. In pet stores there are many varieties of overalls for the autumn-winter period.
Vaccination is carried out according to different schemes, taking into account the age of the pet (to achieve at least 4 weeks). Positive feedback from veterinarians has several categories of Nobivac vaccine for the prevention of dog plague, parovirus enteritis, viral hepatitis, and other pathologies. Be sure to notify the veterinarian about allergic reactions, monitor the condition of the animal after vaccination. Revaccination is carried out according to the scheme.
Maltese love balls, "hedgehogs" from soft rubber, artificial bones, moving objects. It is important to purchase several toys so that the pet does not get bored.
Care for ears and teeth
Be sure to wipe your ears with maltese every week. The treatment is carried out carefully so as not to damage the delicate skin. Be sure to use special drops to disinfect and soften the skin.
For dogs, manufacturers offer toothbrushes. It is important every day to process the units of the dentition, to remove food particles. As you grow up you need to visit the vet, clarify what paste for the pet recommends a doctor. Do not allow hard teeth to appear on the teeth.
An important procedure is the daily treatment of the eye area with tampons soaked in nourishing balsam. Do not allow soft deposits and dark wickings to build up. It is necessary to examine the eyes every day, to monitor whether there are any small foreign particles.
Be sure to follow the length of the stratum corneum, especially if the dog walks on the street less than it should be. The procedure is delicate, it is advisable to contact the veterinary clinic.
When self-clipping claws, the owner must act carefully, cut off the minimum layer so as not to damage the blood vessels. For the treatment of horn formations in dogs at the veterinary clinic, special claw shears are sold.
To care for wool, use a furminator glove, a comb with soft teeth of bone or high-quality plastic. We cannot allow the mats to appear. It is forbidden to jerk wool, comb through uncomfortable areas with pressure, so as not to damage the skin.
Look at the description of the breed of dogs Brabancon, and also learn about the rules of keeping a funny dog.
About what to do at home, if your dog has constipation and how to help a tailed friend read at this address.
On the page http://melkiesobaki.com/veterinariya/zabolevaniya/infekcionnye/piroplazmoz.html read the information on the first signs of piroplasmosis in dogs and on the treatment of the disease.
Improper care leads to pathologies:
- retinal detachment, eye discharge, glaucoma, in severe cases - blindness,
- stenosis of the pylorus of the stomach develops with frequent feeding unsuitable food: spicy, fried, various semi-finished products.
Country of origin and history of the formation of the breed
The very first mention of dogs that look like a Maltese dog is dated to the sixth century BC. Animals were considered a luxury item, and only rich people could buy such a dog. Maltese was accompanied by Louis IX, King Philip II of Spain, Queen Elizabeth I of England and Queen of Scotland Maria Stewart. Maltese lapdog also had the Russian Empress Catherine II.
Dog experts have no unanimous opinion regarding the country of origin of the dog. According to one version, for the first time the Maltese appeared in the Central Mediterranean.
But be that as it may, in the first century AD, snow-white beauties appeared in China. And already from this the diplomatic-trading ways dogs "moved" onto the territory of Europe and immediately became the favorites of the nobility. Maltese arrived in Russia during the Patriotic War of 1812.
In 1864, dogs for the first time took part in the exhibition in Bermingham. Then the Maltese dog is recognized as an Italian breed. A common standard is being developed in the same country. The first club of Maltese fans was created in 1873 in England.
Maltese is a companion dog. In Russia, these dogs appeared in 1812.
Today, there are two branches of breed development: the European classical type (dog breeders from Italy are engaged in this) and American Malteses.
It is interesting! Initially, the breed was regarded as hunting: Malteses were used in the fight against rodents. But today the Maltese dogs are decorative companion dogs.
Appearance, breed standard and photos
Visually, the Maltese lapdog is a small dog with a silky long hair of white color. Elegant, holding with dignity.
- Head. Wide, oval shape, the upper part is flat, cheekbones are not pronounced.
- Muzzle. Nose big black. The lips are thin, the edges are black. The muzzle protrudes forward (should not look quadrangular). The jaw closure is complete. The eyes are lively, with a clever expression, rounded, slightly protruding, the iris is dark brown.
- Ears. Almost triangular in shape, set wide and high, tightly pressed.
- Neck. Put straight, no folds.
- Torso. Dorsal straight, withers raised, chest wide, croup wide and long. The tail is set high.
- Limbs. The forelegs fit snugly to the body, straight. Paws are rounded, tightly assembled.
- height at withers - 21 ... 25 cm,
- weight - 3 ... 4 kg.
- height at withers - 20 ... 23 cm,
- weight - 3 ... 4 kg.
According to the standard, the dog's hair is long, silky; it falls down to the same sex as a single mass. The presence of whorls and waves is a defect. Curly hairs are allowed only on the extremities strictly from the elbows to the paws. The undercoat is missing. The hair on the head is very long.
Шерсть у мальтийских болонок должна быть белого цвета, подшерстка нет.
Стандартом разрешается лишь белоснежный цвет шерсти. Допустим только небольшой оттенок слоновой кости.
Important! Стандартом допускается присутствие бледного оранжевого оттенка, но это крайне нежелательно.
Character and training Maltese
Maltese - affectionate and playful. The characteristic concerns both puppies and already adult dogs. They are always ready for games. For Maltese lapdogs, periodic bursts of activity are typical. In such cases, dogs are trying to throw out energy in any way, for example, they simply run in a circle.
The Maltese Bichonas are excellent companions, ready to spend all their free time with the owner. Despite their small size, they will actively defend him and may even bite the "enemy". When a stranger appears on its territory, this little bell starts barking loudly, informing about the probable danger.
Maltese do not tolerate loneliness, so dogs of this breed are ideal for older people.
The dogs are smart enough to successfully train the Maltese. Begin to engage in the education of the ward must begin with the "youth". Two- and three-month puppies learn quickly, especially if the execution of commands is accompanied by a dainty dacha. Good results are obtained by training puppies on the same platform with older dogs: imitation is one of the best ways.
It is impossible to punish a puppy, because in this case you can get a cowardly and ill-bred animal.
The dog by nature has a sense of innate dignity. If you do not pay enough attention to raising a puppy, then he can try on the role of the “owner” to himself. To relieve him of this confidence will be quite problematic.
Maltese lapdogs are self-confident dogs, so from the very first days the puppy is explained who is the owner of the house.
Claws, teeth and ears care
The dog needs good care. Periodically - once ... twice a month - you need to trim the pet's claws and shorten the hair between the paws, giving them a round shape. Periodic hair cutting on the ears and genitals is also required.
A couple of times a month it is necessary to cut the hair between the paws of the dog.
After bathing, you must clean your ears with a special lotion and ordinary cotton swabs.
Teeth Maltese also needs care. They need to be cleaned with a toothbrush and dog toothpaste several times a week. Maltese lapdogs are required to be periodically shown to a veterinary dentist who will remove the tartar. To teach the dog to such visits need to puppy age.
Maltese Hair Care
Maltese who do not participate in the show, it is desirable to cut. Depending on the wishes of the owner, this may be a short haircut, and only a slight shortening of the hair.
If dogs are planned to take part in exhibitions, then special care is required for wool, depending on the age of the animal:
- From three to eight months, the fur must be combed several times a day.
- From eight to eighteen months, wool must not only be combed, but, if it is already long enough, cleaned into papilotki.
- From twelve to eighteen months and until the end of an exhibition career, wool must always be removed in papilotki. During combing, the tips need to be cut exactly along the bottom line.
Important! Dog hair needs regular grooming.
Feeding counseling needs to be obtained from the breeders when buying a puppy. Most often, they recommend using ready-made balanced feed containing the elements necessary for the dog, for example, Purina One for small dogs or super-premium Bosh food. Do not forget that an improperly formulated diet can cause matese stains under the eyes.
As the main ration of Maltese, you can use ready-made dry food of good quality.
In the doggy menu, there must be meat and cereals. But chicken is prohibited, because it can cause an allergic reaction.
Features feeding puppies
Every day, the puppy should receive porridge (buckwheat or rice). It is necessary to add dietary meat - rabbit, beef or turkey. Feed must be seasoned with a spoon of vegetable oil. In the porridge, you can mix chopped greens, fresh or boiled vegetables.
Periodically allowed to give boiled sea fish, freeing it from the bones. To diversify the diet, small Maltese should be given fermented milk products and fresh cottage cheese.
The number of feeding a puppy depends on its age:
- Dogs at the age of 2 ... 4 months are fed four times a day.
- Puppies at the age of 4 ... 6 months should receive food three times a day.
- After the pet is 8 months old, it is transferred to two meals a day.
Adult Maltese Feeding
Food for adult Maltese will be the same as for a puppy. The only thing you need to take into account the weight of the dog. The rate of feed is calculated by the formula: a tablespoon for every 500 grams of live weight of maltese.
Fried, salted, smoked and other products harmful to the dog are excluded from the Maltese diet.
From the diet you need to completely eliminate:
- spicy, salty, smoked products,
- meat with bones,
- vegetable marinades,
- spicy cheeses.
It is advisable to limit the potatoes, cabbage of all varieties and green peas.
Important! Feed the dog after an active game or walk is impossible: the animal can vomit.
Clothes for maltese
Dogs, despite the rather thick fur coat, during walks at low air temperatures freeze due to the lack of undercoat. This fact must be taken into account and when buying a Maltese lapse, stock up with warm clothes for spring, autumn and winter walks of your pet.
In the wardrobe of a dog, there can be not only standard spring and autumn and warmed winter overalls. Maltese can dress up in sweaters, jackets, pants. The main thing that the dog was comfortable to run.
For walks in rainy weather suit raincoats, sewn from waterproof fabric. Such a thing will save the dog from the wind.
Maltese lap legs must also be protected. Especially in winter, and not only because of the cold. Reagents that are used by utilities to melt snow and ice can significantly damage the paws of a dog. Therefore, in the wardrobe of the animal must be shoes.
In addition to the basic wardrobe, a dog can have as many different things as you like. Designers are actively developing special collections of dog clothes and shoes, taking into account all the anatomical features of the Maltese.
Diseases and longevity
Dogs live with proper care and good heredity for 13 ... 16 years. Maltese lapdog health is good, but, nevertheless, there are a number of diseases that are inherent in this particular breed.
Malteysk bushes often suffer from eye diseases: glaucoma, retinal atrophy.
- dislocation of the patella (hereditary pathology),
- heart disease,
- cryptorchism (in males),
- retinal atrophy,
- inflammation and occlusion of the tear ducts.
The health of the Maltese lap is particularly important to monitor in the first year of her life. During this period, the danger is viral hepatitis, plague and parvovirus. Overheating and overcooling due to poor thermoregulation are dangerous.
How to choose and where to buy a Maltese puppy
The appearance of the puppy is greatly influenced by the genes of the parents. This is especially true of wool and skin type.
Determining the type of puppy's skin, it is safe to say what kind of wool the adult dog will have. A clear disadvantage of a puppy will be sensitive or thin dry skin. In this case, to grow the wool of the desired thickness and length does not work: the hairs will be thin and brittle due to dryness.
Note! It is possible to determine the quality of the Maltese wool at the age of two months. Fluffy wool at puppyhood is not always a guarantee of a beautiful fur coat in an adult dog.
You can buy Maltese puppies in the following kennels:
- Moscow, nursery "Honey Club", http://best-maltese.com/,
- Moscow, nursery "Selena White", http://maltesedog.ru/.
Price Maltese puppies is 270 - 1250 $.
Owner reviews on maltese lapdogs
Olga The Maltese dog is a very friendly dog, but in order to raise an obedient beauty, rearing must be done from the moment she appeared in the house as a small puppy. Otherwise, you will get an uncontrollable monster, seeking to establish their own orders.
Eugenia. Maltese attracted me not only with its appearance and small size, but also with its friendliness. My dog is well brought up, so there are no particular problems.
Irina. Maltese - the sweetest creatures. My Mimi just loves to dress up and has never shown aggression.
Before you start choosing a dog, we suggest watching a video dedicated to the Maltese Breed. Enjoy your viewing!