In the article I will tell you how to make a simple hamster house out of scrap materials with your own hands at home. I will describe the rodent houses: what should be in them, what should not be and what materials are made of.
How to make a house for a hamster with your own hands
Hamster will need in a cage (aquarium) own small house.
In the shelter, the rodent hides from danger and cold, sleeps, creates a nest, stores supplies.
The following items will fit in as a small house: a small box, a plastic container for food, a tube of chips, a coconut without pulp with openings for entry and ventilation.
Braided design is easy to make yourself.
For a hamster to have a place to hide, you need to give him a house.
Instructions for making at home
- Glue the top cover to the plywood circle. Wait until the glue dries.
- Mark the place of entry into the box. Drill the holes with a drill along the symbol, leaving a low threshold. To open the opening, cut the gaps between the holes with scissors and remove the material that has fallen off.
- Soak sticks for a long time in water, then wipe. Insert in the entrance opening, bending along its line. Glue dried sticks - thus, the sharp edges of the entrance will be covered.
- Cover the lid with a prepared cloth and lower the box upside down on it.
For cleaning in a wicker dwelling, the upper part of the box rises, the fabric from the lid can be removed and washed.
Types of houses for the hamster
Rodent constructions almost always have no bottom, so that it is easier to tidy up by lifting them. It is necessary to periodically remove the waste products of the pet, and other property should not be moved and pulled out.
For the internal filling of the house should be put in the cage nesting material - pieces of napkins, paper, sawdust. The animal will take them to the dwelling itself, arranging it to your liking. No need to put wool or cotton wool. They understand the fibers in which the hamster may become entangled, and they are harmful to the stomach.
Houses of various materials
In pet stores, the choice of pet shelters is quite rich.
For the manufacture of the house often use such materials:
Plastic is cheap, beautiful, easy to clean, but allow nibbling undesirable. Does not provide sufficient air flow
From plastic bottles
The cardboard will last for a short time (it is soon gnawed to the ground, softened by moisture),
Wood (in the form of plates, rounded and flat sticks) or plywood - strong, harmless, conduct air, retain heat. But you need to check that the pet doesn’t put a splinter on the walls, that the tips of the nails do not stick inside,
House of twigs tree Drawing of a flat roof house
The vine is well ventilated, environmentally friendly,
From the vine Wicker of grass and hay
Ceramics is bright, durable, retains heat, easy to clean, can not be rodent teeth. But it does not let the air through, and it must be protected from falling. There are figures and dishes with holes,
Cloth some rodents like to relax in a hammock or sit in a cloth tent.
The shape of the structure can be rectangular, oval, round, angular. Color is important except for the owners.
A solid house can be supplemented with a second floor, a ladder, a tunnel.
If the rodent decided to arrange a toilet in the house, it is advisable to put the second structure in another corner, as it usually does not live and does not store food near the toilet.
Choosing a haven for a pet, you need to focus on:
- size - excessive closeness inside, as well as a large empty space, undesirable. Large hamster enough space 16 * 8 * 7 cm. Also, the building should not take up much space in the cage. Be sure to fit a hole
- the safety of the material, the passage of air and moisture - the absence of harmful and toxic to the animal impurities, since the pet is likely to try the material of the walls on the tooth. Air must be circulating inside, stuffiness and fluid accumulation are unacceptable.
- safety structure - the absence of sharp corners and small parts, stability.
Otherwise, the hamster will ignore the mink.
Maze for cardboard
In the place of residence of the rodent, there certainly must be a house in which he hides, folds the food supply and rests, feeling comfortable. Pet cover is easy to buy or make to your taste. The main thing is that it is safe.
Materials for a rodent's house
House, cage, toys, running wheel, mineral stone are more expensive than the rodent itself. At home, you can independently arrange a home for a jungle. Then you will be assured of the proper quality of the materials and the size of the owner’s cottage. The apartment for the Syrian hamster should be larger than for representatives of other breeds.
If you think about what you can make a house, pay attention to the following materials:
- Plywood or wood.
- Thick paper boxes.
- Natural materials (wood, coconut shell).
- Eskimo sticks.
- Sleeve of toilet paper.
The main purpose of a rodent's cottage is to provide it with rest, to protect it from prying eyes, sources of loud noises and sharp odors. To make your rodent's home comfortable and comfortable, follow these guidelines:
- Making the hut with your own hands, take care of the purity of materials.
- First make the drawings of the cottage. Consider the size of the animal, the height and area of the cage, the materials used.
- To fasten parts of the house, use clips, wire, nails. It is undesirable to work with PVA glue and for wood, as they can harm the health of the rodent.
- When collecting the hut, make sure that inside it there are no nails and sharp edges of the grid.
Paper House for Jungar Hamster
Making a hut out of paper and cardboard does not require large monetary costs, as well as a lot of time. Paper cottage - temporary shelter, easily done and quickly fails.
Materials: toilet paper, balloon, bowl with water.
- Inflate a ball the size of an orange.
- Tear the toilet paper into several pieces, soak it in water.
- Glue wet sheets on the ball in 8-10 layers.
- Let the construction dry well.
- Release the air out of the ball by piercing with a pin.
- Remove the deflated ball.
- In the resulting paper sphere, make an entry for the Jungar hamster.
Such a fragile home is suitable for small rodents. Cottage large individuals should be more durable.
Coconut Hamster Home
The coconut house is stronger than the paper one, but it takes more time to make it. Before proceeding to its design, pour the coconut milk.
Materials: coconut, small drill, sandpaper.
- Make holes with a diameter of 5 cm on both sides of the fruit. One will serve as a pet's entrance, the other is necessary for stability.
- Through the holes clean the coconut from the pulp.
- Drill 4 holes on the side of the nut. They will perform the function of ventilation.
- Install the house on the sawed hole.
- Sand the arch above the entrance.
A coconut apartment is not only beautiful and original, but also useful. The rodent will gnaw at it, getting nutrients and grinding its teeth.
Wooden hut for rodents
The cottage from a tree turns out beautiful, sound, environmentally friendly. All family members can participate in its creation.
Materials: Hardwood or thick plywood, drill, jigsaw. Sandpaper, nails, hammer or non-toxic glue.
- Make a project of the future house. Make two wooden blanks for the floor and ceiling, and four for the walls.
- Drill a hole in one of the walls.
- Sand all parts, including the inlet.
- Drill a couple of holes with a diameter of 2–3 cm in the side walls. Of these will be windows.
- Using nails or glue, collect all the elements of the house.
- For quick cleaning leave the sawn roof removable.
Wooden house in the form of a box with a removable roof is simple to make. You can make a two-story cottage of plywood, connecting the floors with a ladder.
House for the hamster out of the box
The flat out of the box is very simple in execution, the animal can keep its treasures in it. Take a suitable size box, make an inlet in it. You can use packaging from tea, paper napkins, children's shoes. In a rectangular box, cut two holes, one for entry, the other for stability.
Make a rodent a beautiful and bright cardboard shelter. Print on a color printer layout house, cut and glue. The apartment can be made of any size depending on the size of the pet.
Light houses from the tubes of rolls of toilet paper
This shelter is suitable for little hamsters. Take a spigot from toilet paper or paper towels, flatten it. On both sides, cut a crescent-shaped hole. Repeat the same with the other handset. Insert one blank into another, the house is ready. You will get a cruciform design that is well ventilated and non-toxic.
Shelter for animals from plastic bottles
From plastic bottles you can make several options for the house. For each of them you will need:
Materials: plastic bottle, scissors, knitting needle
- Cut the bottom of the bottle, turn it over.
- In the blank, make an arched entrance.
- Pierce the bottle in several places with a hot spoke to ensure air supply.
- Tape off the cut part and the edge of the hole so that the animal does not hurt.
A simple version of a plastic house - cut the entrance for a rodent in the bottle, make ventilation holes in the cap. Inside the big bottle you can install the rocker, toys and a bowl of animal.
In order for the rodent to feel comfortable, the volume of the bottle must correspond to its size. Hamsters grow rapidly, so the entrance to the apartment must be done "for growth". The dark plastic container will protect the pet from sunlight and increased attention.
It is easy to make a house for a Dzungarik with your own hands, the main thing is desire and fantasy. Consider the type and quality of the material for the apartment, the hamster breed, its size.
What can make a house hamster
The task of the house - to hide the kids from prying eyes. Material for production must be non-toxic, since the hamster will definitely try it "on the tooth." The house will have to be cleaned, it should be cozy for the animal. The animal will show how it feels in it, sitting in a new nest.
The craftsmen make houses of cardboard and paper. They fit under it: coconut shell, ready-made boxes, wooden slats and slats, plywood, toilet paper rollers and even popsicle sticks.
Coconut Hamster House
This design is more durable than the previous version. With the apparent simplicity of manufacture, it will have to tinker with it for several hours, cleaning the pulp from the fruit. The dwelling turns out to be quite small, therefore it will serve as a shelter for the Dzungarian hamster. Choose a coconut and get to work:
- make holes in the "eyes" of the coconut and drain the milk,
- knock the blunt side of the knife on the fruit, stepping back a couple of centimeters from the eyes - the most vulnerable part of the shell,
- if a crack appears on the surface, cut this part with a knife; if it does not, cut it with a hacksaw,
- put the fruit in the freezer for 20 minutes, making it easier to remove the pulp from the coconut,
- Sand the edges of the hole in the future house.
You can stop at this, but the dwelling will be unstable and will roll around the cage. To avoid this, install a coconut house sawed hole down.
On one side draw a small arch and cut it along the contour. Sand the edges. This will be the entrance to the house. Drill holes for ventilation. If desired, you can make the side decorative windows.
Wooden house for a hamster
Depending on the size of such housing can be made for the Syrian hamster, and for the dwarf counterparts. The simplest design is done in the form of a box with a removable roof, vents and an entrance for the animal. To get started, you need to prepare a sheet of plywood or a wooden board with a thickness of 1-4 cm. Plywood is more convenient. It is cheaper, it is easier to handle, the hamster will not chew it so quickly. Hardwood is suitable for manufacturing.
Make a markup on the prepared sheets. If the house is intended for a small hamster, the length of the front and rear walls is 15 cm, with a height of 10 cm. The side walls are 10x10 cm. The lower part of the structure remains open, and for the top we set aside on 17x12 cm sheets. It is necessary that the roof does not fall inward the boxes. On the frontal surface it is necessary to cut out the entrance and the window, which will serve as additional ventilation. For the convenience of fixing plywood sheets, narrow slats can be nailed at the joints. For work you will need:
- circular saw or jigsaw,
- small nails or screws.
Each piece of plywood must be filed and cleaned with sandpaper. The hole for the entrance and ventilation is also treated with "sandpaper".
First, we assemble the walls by nailing or fastening with screws. We put the roof on top, not fixing it on the frame for the convenience of cleaning the room.
If it is difficult to calculate the design parameters for your animal, take a cardboard box of the required dimensions. Measure its parameters and put on the plywood the desired length and width.
Very simple houses from the tubes of rolls of toilet paper
It may be difficult to call this construction a dwelling in the general sense of the word, but as shelters they are suitable for animals. They are non-toxic, closed to the eyes and well ventilated.
Not only toilet paper, but also paper towels are suitable for self-made houses made of pipes. Take the tube and flatten it. Scissors cut a semicircle on each side. Do the same operation with the second tube. Insert one tube into another hole. This cross-shaped construction is suitable for dwarf hamsters.
A simple version of the shelter from one bottle
To build a house, take a bottle that fits the width of the bottom of the animal. The bottom of the tableware will be the shelter for the hamster. We cut off this part of the bottle, turn it over with the cut side down and make a semicircular entrance. Use a hot spoke to pierce the air exchange holes around the perimeter of the house. Cut the edges of the bottle and the entrance paste tape so that the hamster does not get hurt from sharp edges. You can not cut the entrance, and put a piece of the bottle on its side, and its cut will serve as the entrance. The container must be dark so that the animal feels protected.
House of two bottles
From two bottles you can make the design a little more difficult. Both containers are treated the same. They cut off the bottom and neck. The edges of the first wrap tape. In the middle of the first bottle we make a hole in the diameter of the second. We do this with a clerical knife. First, make a cross-shaped incision, then turn down the edges, trying not to pull too hard. Plastic is very fragile and may crack. Insert the scissors and cut a hole. Apply the tape to the circumference.
For a snug fit, the edges of the bottle, which will be inserted into the hole, flatten and trim the upper and lower edges diagonally. Wrap the edge with tape. We put the bottle in the first. If the edges fit tightly enough, we tie two bottles between each other with tape.
Is it possible to sew a house for a hamster
Often in the forums they ask if it is possible to sew a house for a pet. Breeders do not recommend using cloth for these animals. Rodents try all the things "to the tooth." If a tree or paper does not harm babies, then the rags and threads caught in the animal's stomach can lead to illness or death of the pet. There were cases when the animals got entangled in the fringe and suffocated. Experts advise houses made of harder or safer materials.
We build a house according to the drawing
Make a shelter for hamsters can be made of cardboard according to the drawings. The assembly scheme of such a house is given below.
House for a pet can be made of different materials. It is necessary to consider its safety and convenience for the animal. Virtually any of the above houses can be adapted for both Dzungarik and Syrian hamsters.
What is worth remembering when creating a house for a rodent
The main task of the hamster nest is to protect the baby from prying eyes. The house should be small, but cozy, so that the animal feels comfortable, safe.
The craftsmen create houses for hamsters of various materials: coconut shell, boxes, bottles. It is important to remember that the animal tastes everything, so the material must be non-toxic, dense.
Another nuance: the house will need to be cleaned stably. When arranging the nest, make sure that you feel comfortable to get into it for cleaning.
Paper house for hamster
Если вам срочно необходимо поселить грызуна (подарили, принес ребенок и так далее, а укрытия для зверька нет), то не используйте банку. Она холодная, в нее плохо проходит воздух, а если поместить ее на окно в солнечный день, то банка нагреется и животное просто "зажарится".
Для того чтобы создать временное убежище для малютки, используйте бумагу. Remember, this hamster house will not last long - some specimens manage to deal with a paper nest in a few hours: the paper gnaws, the baby is released, and it will be very difficult to find it later in the apartment.
Make a house out of paper, place a small animal in it, and think yourself to get a strong shelter or make it yourself. To make a paper house for a hamster you will need:
In order to make a house out of all this, you need to follow simple instructions:
- Inflate the ball in half or even a third. Space should be a bit.
- Divide the toilet paper into small pieces, soak them in water, squeeze so that the moisture does not drip.
- Put paper on the ball so that it completely disappears under it. Apply at least eight layers - so the house will last longer.
- Remove the design to dry out the battery (in the summer, you can remove to the balcony).
- When the paper is dry, pierce the ball with a needle to deflate the air, then remove it completely by making a hole in the paper. This hole will serve as the entrance for the baby.
The house is ready, but do not forget that you need to quickly make something more durable.
Coconut Rodent Home
Many people think that to make such a house is very easy. But this is a mistaken opinion, you will have to tinker with the dwelling for several hours, because the shell must be well cleaned of pulp.
The coconut house for a hamster (photo of an interesting idea can be seen above) is small and suitable only for medium-sized breeds, for example, Dzhungarskih.
Choose a suitable nut and start building a house out of it:
- With a knife, make holes in the coconut "eyes", drain milk from it.
- With a dull object (the handle of a knife will fit) knock on the shell in order to find the most vulnerable place in it. There should be a crack, it is this part of the cut. If the cracks did not appear, it means that the fruit is not quite ripe, in this case it will be necessary to work with a hacksaw.
- Put the coconut in the freezer for a few hours. When the nut freezes and then thaws, it will be more simple to get rid of the pulp.
- Clean the flesh well.
- Extend the cut-off point on the shell - this is necessary so that the house stands firmly in the cage, rather than rolling on it.
- Cut the entrance to the house, polished edges. Further, it all depends on your imagination: you can make a beautiful arch, cut a window and so on.
If you decide not to stop at the entrance and cut beautiful windows, then remember that they should be decorative. Make small cuts so that no extra light penetrates there. This is a house for a hamster who loves to sleep in complete darkness.
Place foam rubber, cotton wool or just a piece of material in the nest. The rodent itself will finish the arrangement of its home, creating in it a comfortable, warm and soft bed.
Next, we will share the secret of how to make a house for wood hamsters. Ideal for working hardwood wood. You can use plywood, it is easy to work with it, it will not leave splinters, and the hamster will not cope with it so quickly, trying to taste. Plywood should be no thinner than 1 centimeter.
Do not close the house tightly, make a removable roof (it will be easier to clean it), ventilation, convenient entrance.
Prepare several sheets of wood: walls, roof. The height of the dwelling must be at least 10 centimeters, the walls - at least 15 centimeters. Make the roof wider so that it does not fall inside the shelter of a rodent. Next will require:
- pencil and ruler
- circular saw (if not, jigsaw),
- self-tapping screws or small studs.
Never use glue to join parts. The hamster will surely eat it, get well, and most likely will die.
Perform the following work:
- Process all the details of the future house with a file, then with emery paper. This needs to be done to eliminate small burrs that can harm the little animal.
- In the walls, make several small holes that will serve as ventilation. In the front wall make an entrance for the hamster. Every hole and the entrance process with sandpaper.
- Fasten the design with screws or studs. For more convenience, make slats and it is with their help, fasten all the walls.
- The bottom of the house does not need to close. The floor will be the bottom of the cage. Do not pin the roof, it should be easy to remove - it will be easier for you to clean the house and remove an animal that does not want to be in contact for a long time!
House out of the box
Everyone in the house has an unnecessary shoe box. But in itself it is big, so you have to cut it.
Houses for cardboard hamsters are not the most durable, the animal will surely gnaw it. It is impossible to use glue, we have already written about it. Then how to fasten the details? Cook paste flour. The hamster will gnaw the cardboard and the natural glue you cooked, this combination will not bring harm to health.
First of all, cut the box into parts, install the size yourself. For Dzungarian suitable small house - 10 x 15 centimeters. If the breed is Syrian or other large, then make housing more spacious.
Connect the parts with klester, let dry. Next, cut the entrance (small), if desired - the window.
Take a dark plastic bottle, cut off a piece with a bottom size suitable for shelter. The result is a glass in which the bottom is the back wall, the cut point is the entrance. So that the house does not roll around the cage, cut one wall so that you can put the bottle as stable as possible.
With a hot needle, make several holes through which the house will be ventilated.
The walls outside can be pasted over with a cloth or paper, but only use a paste to connect.
This option is suitable for small hamster breeds.
Take an unnecessary knitted mitten. The entrance will serve as a hole for the hand, but the hamster just will not go there. Insert a circle of cardboard into this hole. It is convenient to use a toilet paper sleeve. Cut the ring from it and pass it into the mitten. The house is ready! Quickly, simply and at no extra cost!
In this article we wrote about how to make a house for hamsters with our own hands. There are still a lot of options: someone uses the sleeves of paper, others create real masterpieces of cardboard and plastic bottles. The main thing - to remember about the tips: space, comfort, warmth, ventilation and the absence of toxic materials.
For the construction of a convenient house of coconut through the small holes drain the liquid. Place the walnut on the table and mark. The weakest point of the coconut, in addition to the three "eyes", is considered to be 1/3 the distance from the base. Take a knife or kitchen hatchet and swipe the coconut, keep hitting until the nut cracks. To quickly extract the pulp of coconut, pre-place it in the freezer for 12 hours. The “entrance” to the house should have a diameter of at least 5 cm. Sand the hole with emery paper.
If there is a tree at hand
The following construction will consist of a wooden board or multilayered plywood with a thickness of 1-3 cm. Cut out two details of 12.5 and 14.5 cm in length. The height of the blanks depends on the size of the hamster and your personal preferences. In one of the smaller blanks, cut a hole with a diameter of 5–6 cm.
Drill two windows with a diameter of 2.5 cm in larger detail. Of course, your furry friend will not look at them, but they will provide adequate ventilation. Sand all parts and holes with sandpaper. Shoot down the parts and make sure that the ends of the nails cannot injure the animal.
To create a plastic house fits the usual plastic container that is used to store food. The size will depend only on the preferences of your pet and the “filling” of the living space.
On the lid of the container draw a rectangle measuring 45x15 cm and cut with scissors. Cut a rectangle of 50x20 cm from a plastic or metal mesh. Using super glue, attach the mesh to the lid of the container. Simple manipulations allowed to get ventilation. If you do not want to mess with glue, use bolts and nuts.
If shaggy resident of the royal blood, and in your intention to build a real palace. Take another container and make it ventilation in the manner described above. Cut the holes on the sides of both containers with a sharp knife and insert a cardboard or plastic tube into it, fix with glue. Remember that the diameter of the tunnel-pipe should be sufficient for the hamster.
For the temporary house will require paper towels, a balloon and a container of water. Tear the towels into separate pieces, inflate the ball. Dampen each leaflet and apply evenly on the ball. After drying, burst the ball, cut the hole-door and remove the ball. This design is short-lived. Since the hoarse rodent will certainly decide to try it "to the tooth."