Having decided to tie his dog and after going through it, the owner remains in ignorance for quite a long time: is his four-legged darling pregnant? But the days add up to weeks. If it becomes known that she is pregnant, when will the puppies wait?
Childbirth in dogs occurs on the 58-66th day after the last mating. How to prepare for childbirth? First, try to make your schedule in such a way that after the 55th day you do not leave the dog alone for a long time.
There is the following method to determine the date of birth: approximately 24-36 hours before they begin, the animal's temperature in the rectum drops by one and a half degrees. That is, it will be somewhere between 36.5-37.5 ° C. For 2-3 days before the moment “X”, the abdomen descends, and “holes” form on both sides of the spine. An animal can worry, refuse to eat, dig in secluded places, breathe heavily a few hours before giving birth. What you need to do before they begin:
Arrange a place for the dog, where everything will happen. No need to do it on sofas and armchairs. The floor is best suited. It must be a place away from windows, doors and central heating batteries. If the dog is small, the box is perfect. If the animal is large, enclosed space is required. Newborn babies will crawl and squeak - it bothers the bitch, causes her to jump off.
Prepare the following items: clean, dry diapers (rags), a heating pad or plastic bottles with warm water, alcohol, strong threads, a syringe or a small syringe, sharp scissors, oil or Levomekol ointment, or petroleum jelly, a vet phone.
Usually childbirth is successful for bitches and puppies, but you shouldn’t let everything go to chance. The dog needs your participation and support, and sometimes you need real help.
So, how to take birth in a dog? The duration of this process is from 1 hour to 1 day. Immediate expulsion of the fetus begins when the cervix is open and the fetus enters the birth canal. The dog begins to push. The puppy can go forward with the head or pelvis, this is normal. Fetal bladder can open up or not, often the baby is born in necrotic membranes. It tears them apart and cuts the umbilical cord, and the pet itself is usually caring for the baby. But how to take birth in an inexperienced dog or for some reason does not do anything? Do not worry, do it yourself. Free the puppy from the fetal bladder. The umbilical cord is cut, retreating 2-3 cm from his abdomen. It is necessary to clean his mouth and respiratory tract from the liquid, for this just need a syringe or syringe. Then wipe the puppy with a cloth. After the birth of the baby should go after. Do not allow a dog to eat more than 2-3 seconds, otherwise it will have diarrhea. Put the puppy to the mammary glands, make sure that he finds the nipple, took it and sucked the colostrum for 5-10 minutes. After that, it can be put away in a box or just to the side, where the heating pad lies. To mom did not worry, she must see the kids. Count the afterbirth, their number should match the number of puppies.
If the afterbirth did not come out within 24 hours, you should visit a veterinarian, otherwise the dog will have serious complications.
How to take birth in a dog if something goes wrong? There may be such deviations in the process:
childbirth strongly delayed
the dog stopped straining at all, although puppies are felt in the womb,
the animal is unsuccessfully hard for 30-60 minutes,
there are purulent or abundant bloody discharge,
the dog had convulsions, stiffness (rigidity) of muscles, seizures, paleness of the gums, pain in the abdomen, decrease in body temperature.
All this serves as an occasion for an urgent call to the veterinarian. Be prepared to urgently deliver the animal to the clinic.
How to take birth in a small dog? The process is similar. However, it should be borne in mind that small dogs are more likely to have problems with the weakness of labor and sticking of babies in the birth canal. If the dog is very small, it is better to invite a veterinarian in advance. Most likely, she would need specialized assistance or a planned cesarean section.
We equip the maternity hospital
A maternity hospital for dogs has not been created yet, there is no special choice except how to host the dog at home. 10 days before the expected birth, the pet moves to the “delivery room”; the requirements are as follows:
- Under the birth and residence of puppies allocated room or part thereof.
- The box is placed in the room, the height of the side should be adjusted to the female, stepping over, she should not cling to the stomach.
Place should be:
- Dry, warm, light in weight.
- Durable - many dogs during labor rest with their paws against the wall of the box.
- From neutral moisture resistant material that can be disinfected and washed.
- Selected by size - a dog, can lie in a box with stretched out legs, freely stand up and roll over on the other side.
- No drafts, location away from radiators (in winter), direct sunlight.
- Possibility of additional heating in cold weather. In the "nest" should be warm, but the temperature should not exceed 30-31 ° C.
Do not use fireplaces or other dangerous heaters for heating! The ideal option is an infrared lamp.
Harbingers of childbirth - readiness number 1
5–7 days before giving birth, the dog begins to behave “strangely”, to worry, to “look after” the cozy corner, to stay closer to the owner. The cat needs support - iron, calm, talk to the dog, do it sincerely and you will help the “mommy” to feel more confident. When refusing food, do not worry, treat the dog with a treat, reduce portions, if necessary, reduce food to broths, dairy products.
From 57–58 days, the temperature is measured regularly for the dog; 2 times a day is sufficient. Purpose: to fix the decrease in the index by 1-1.5 C °. The temperature will fall and will not rise until the birth of the first puppy, in fact, it is the surest precursor of childbirth, meaning that less than 24 hours are left before labor.
Control temperature measurements should be carried out at 2-6 weeks of pregnancy in order to accurately understand the baseline. Depending on the size of the dog, it can fluctuate significantly, if for a Labrador the temperature of 38 ° C is considered normal, then for that terrier the basic indicator ranges from 39 to 39.5 ° C
Important! A decrease in temperature by more than 24 hours or a sharp rise to 39 ° C and higher - the reason will be referred to a doctor, symptoms may indicate death of the fetus and the onset of intoxication.
“Obstetric set” - we are preparing for the delivery of childbirth
Taking birth from the dog alone is absolutely realistic in 2 of 3 cases:
- Normal delivery, the owner does not interfere, observes, if necessary, gently shifts the puppies away from the dog's hind legs.
- Childbirth without complications, but the owner is actively involved in the process: he strokes and encourages mommy, takes puppies, removes blisters, wipes “babies”, puts them to the nipples.
- Childbirth with complications that can not be stopped without veterinary care.
Understand for yourself that complications can happen to any dog, so agree in advance with the veterinarian about the opportunity to contact and call the doctor to the house "on call", without delay. In small breeds of dogs, complications in the first birth occur more often, the mother is miniature, and the puppies "to the father" are large.
Anyway, you should have a complete set for all cases, a large supply of self-confidence, patience and peace of mind. You will need:
- Smoothed diapers and gauze cuts. Size depends on puppy size.
- Vata, iodine, brilliant green.
- Antiseptic for hands and tools.
- Sharp scissors with rounded ends and thread, sterile, for processing the umbilical cord.
- Suction or a small enema to clear the respiratory tract from mucus.
- Oxytocin injection and syringes - to stimulate contractions.
- Rubberized oilcloth, for making a place during childbirth.
- Separate box with soft bedding and heating pad, if you need to remove the puppies from the mother.
- Multi-colored threads, in order to mark the puppies in order of birth.
- Electronic scales and notebook. After the birth of a puppy, it is noted: time, weight, color of the thread and the presence of the departed "place".
- Thermometer room, for the "nest" and electronic, to measure the temperature of the dog.
- Whole goat milk or bitch milk substitute.
- Warm drink for pets - milk or broth.
Important! Oxytocin is used only in case of emergency and in a limited dosage! The use of oxytocin in normal labor can cause rupture of the uterus. Many veterinarians use oxytocin only in the postpartum period, to expel the afterbirth.
The birth of each cub is divided into three phases, after the appearance of contractions, all but the owner leave the room:
- Training - contractions, the dog is in pain and worried. The duration of the preparatory period lasts from 6 to 30 hours.
- Exile - due to the constant release of adrenaline in the blood, before exile, the animal can "look good" to such an extent that mommy can jump up or try to run and jump. The task of the owner to be near, to calm, to constantly talk with the dog, to help take a comfortable posture, to rest with his paws, if necessary. Further, contractions develop into attempts, the peritoneum is actively tensed, for example, in a Chinese crested dog, due to the absence of hair, the attempt is visually noticeable. The owner, without unnecessary need, does not touch the dog and continues to calm and praise the pet.
- Postpartum period - the puppy is born, the dog continues to straighten up, the afterbirth departs and the “mommy” eats it, which restores strength and water balance. No need to give the dog to eat all the afterbirth, if puppies are 5 or more, this will lead to diarrhea, 3-4 is enough. At this time, "mommy" is invited to drink.
Important! After the appearance of the firstborn, the dog can begin active protection, up to bites. In this case, if the puppy is alive and there are no threats, do not even try to touch it, the dog will “move away” to the second attempts.
If possible, stroke the dog on the back and stomach to relieve pain, on the left right side of the spine do a light tapping massage. Do not try to speed up the process, even if it seems to you that everything has been going on for too long:
- Put in the field of visibility of an electronic clock and constantly monitor the time.
- The firstborn is always born longer, “treading” the way to the other puppies.
- The first puppy is usually a large dog.
- Deliveries in less than 3 hours are considered rapid.
- Puppies are born with an interval of 10-30 minutes. An afterbirth can depart immediately or after giving birth within 60 minutes.
- Ideally, childbirth lasts for as many hours as there are puppies in the litter. Six puppies - 6 hours. In problematic dogs, especially for babies such as chihuahuas, in multiple pregnancies, childbirth can last up to 12 hours.
- Childbirth is considered complete, if there are no contractions and attempts during 2 hours, all the afterbirth has departed.
- After the expulsion of all the females from the female genital tract, blood and greenish mucus can stand out - no need to worry.
Never rush the puppies, do not try to pull the baby out of the mother and especially pull the umbilical cord forcibly if it is not a threat to life. Be patient, giving birth is a natural process, everything should go on as usual, this is the only way to get healthy puppies and preserve the health of the mother.
Postpartum 0–3 day
After the appearance of babies, the owner should not leave the “family” for 36 hours without supervision. Limit the house from the arrival of guests and acquaintances for the next 3 weeks, turn off the doorbell. Usually, dogs are very caring mothers, but the guard's instinct does not go away with the birth of puppies. Hearing the bell, the dog jumps up, and the puppies literally fly apart. In the female, brown mucus from the genital tract will be secreted, after 14 days the discharge becomes colorless, by 21–28 days stop.
All puppies must suck colostrum and actively gain weight. The weight is calculated as follows:
- Mother husky puppies were born with a weight of 200-400 grams.
- The weight of an adult husky is 19–27 kg, depending on the sex, an average of 23 kg.
- A puppy should gain 2-4 grams, in relation to each kilogram of weight of an adult dog. For example, the calculation for a large dog: 4 × 23 = 92 grams per day.
- A puppy should not lag behind in weight more than 5 grams per day. If there is a lag, feed supplements are injected until weight gain stabilizes.
If the discharge from the genital tract has become dark, purulent, or a putrid odor has appeared, immediately contact the veterinarian, a number of complications are possible in the postpartum period, which are accompanied by inflammation of the uterus.
How to take puppies yourself
A dog giving birth for the first time may be confused and not understand what to do with a newborn. The owner must always be ready to help, the algorithm is as follows:
- The puppy was born and lies near the mother for 4–6 seconds.
- We take a puppy in hand and bring it to the face of the female, if there is no reaction, we act.
- We open the bubble and remove the mucus from the puppy's mouth, be sure to check if the tongue has sunk.
- Raise the umbilical cord, all the fluid flows into the baby’s tummy. At a distance of 2 cm from the puppy's belly, we tie the umbilical cord and trim it.
- We actively rub the puppy, we make sure that it breathes and we put it to the dog's nipple.
- At the beginning of the new attempts of a puppy, we shift it into a box with a heating pad, which stands in front of Mommy.
If you are unsure of your abilities or may be confused with complications - contact the nearest veterinary clinic and arrange a delivery with your doctor.
Harbingers of the beginning of the process
Approaching the long-awaited moment must be expected 56-72 days after mating. Focus on the symptoms of the onset of labor in a dog.
1.5-2 weeks before the climax of the moment, the sides of the expectant mother are rounded, body weight increases markedly. After about 7 days, you can see the first signs of approaching labor:
- the dog's abdomen is lowered by relaxing the ligaments and moving the uterus into the abdominal cavity,
- skin around the mammary glands becomes bare, they swell, there are signs of lactation,
- the loop gets bigger and softer,
- transparent jelly-like secretions appear: it separates the mucus plug, which blocked the path to the cervix and served as a protective barrier, if blood clots from the burst capillaries get into the mucus, it turns burgundy or brown
- the animal loses its appetite, thirst increases.
The body temperature of a pregnant woman decreases - approximately 8 hours before delivery - by 1-1.5 °. It should be borne in mind that for different breeds of dogs the normal temperature is a variable concept. In miniature animals, it is lower than in large ones. In order to proceed from the baseline of their ward, it is necessary to periodically conduct temperature control measurements from the first weeks of play.
Immediately before giving birth, the dog's behavior changes noticeably. She is worried, whining, looking for a place to jig. At this time, the owner is required to calm and cheer up his beloved one, to persuade him to eat and water often, but little by little.
A dog that has such signs as abundant green or scarlet discharge, feverish temperature (above 39 ° C) before the generic process, requires a medical examination.
The arrangement of the "lair"
The woman in the apartment is given a separate place in the apartment, a spacious and durable box with low sides is placed there, covered with diapers. With the advent of puppies, an improvised delivery room is transformed into a baby cot - warm and dry.
You should not have a dog corner near the entrance door, under the balcony, near a source of intense heat. Draft, dry air, the temperature in the house above 29 ° C, the effect of direct sunlight - factors that are undesirable for newborns.
Collection of "obstetric first aid kit"
Effective obstetric care is impossible without the available material, tools, medications. The full "ammunition" includes:
- wipes for wiping young,
- oilcloth and a pack of diaper diaper for mom,
- alcohol, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, cotton,
- Vaseline oil,
- sterile latex gloves,
- hemostatic clamp or surgical scissors,
- unpainted durable thread for tying the umbilical cord,
- mini syringe,
- medications: oxytocin, catosal, calcium gluconate, 5% glucose solution, ascorbic.
The use of oxytocin, a drug stimulating uterine contractions, needs veterinarian control. Unjustified injections or overdose of the drug can lead to rupture of the uterus.
The birth of offspring
As soon as it becomes clear that the dog started giving birth, the owner is left alone with her. This will allow the "mommy" to calm down and focus on the generic process. There are three phases:
- Preparatory. Contractions in the uterus lead to an increase in its tone and opening of the cervix. Muscles of the vagina relax. The dog suffers from strong cramping pains, from which he behaves excitedly, runs, lies on his side, jumps to his feet. There are rapid pulse, shortness of breath. The duration of the first stage is 6-12 hours, in nervous or temperamental animals - up to 1.5 days.
- Generic. Water flows away, and contractions turn into attempts - reflex contractions of the abdominal muscles. Кутята продвигаются к выходу по родовым путям. Первому труднее прокладывать дорогу — его появление обычно затягивается. С момента напряжения живота у матери устанавливается нормальная температура.On the stage of expulsion of the fetus takes an average of 6-12 hours. If the process lasts 1-2 days, intervention by a health worker is required.
- Postpartum. The final stage is characterized by the exit of the children's place. This happens 10-15 minutes after the birth of the last calf, or is the final act of the appearance of each baby. The dog often breathes with its mouth open and seeks to eat the last. If they do not exude stench, let them eat the first 4-5. Absorption of the rest can cause diarrhea.
The appearance of the firstborn often awakens in the bitch guard instinct. To avoid the bites of a worried mother, the “obstetrician” is better not to touch the puppy if everything is fine with him.
How to help the woman in labor?
The main rule is “do no harm”. In this case, this commandment means: do not force things. No matter how hard it is to look at the torments of an expensive being, a person can only control time and provide all possible assistance:
- a gentle massage of the abdomen to the beat of contractions will help to relieve the pain of your pet
- if the cub came out half and stuck, you can gently pull it towards yourself when the peritoneum of the female relaxes (you need to cover the whole body with your palm, and not drag it by the paws, tail or head, it will ease the Vaseline: they need to lubricate the loop around the puppy),
- it is necessary to periodically change the litter under the woman in labor so that she does not lay on the wet one (experienced owners stock up on packing diapers),
- need to blot the anus and vulva bitch with clean wipes: hygiene will save offspring from accidental infection,
- feeding the mother in small doses of liquid will restore her water balance (goat milk or glucose can be suggested).
Childbirth at a dog: preparation, arrangement of a place for bitches and puppies
On average, a dog’s pregnancy lasts about 60 days. Therefore, knowing the exact day of mating, you can easily calculate the date of birth. Preparation must begin three weeks before the momentous event. It is necessary to negotiate with the veterinarian so that on the specified day after your first call he will come to your home. The first birth of a dog must take place in the presence of a doctor.
A week before the intended event you need to prepare a place for childbirth. Why in advance? Because childbirth in dogs can begin before the expected date. In addition, the animal must get used to the place. For these purposes, a large cardboard box may be suitable. In this case, the animal must enter and exit from it freely. This den should be open so that during the birth you or the veterinarian can help the dog.
Before this event, remove all carpets and carpets. After all, giving birth to dogs is a rather “dirty” process. All covers that you will use, you have to throw away, because they will not be able to wash them.
In addition to the place for delivery, you need to prepare a box for puppies, as well as a place where the newborns and their mother will live for the first month. The best day of these goals is to use a playpen. If not, then you need to fence off a small part of the room, with the expectation that the puppies could not get out of this area, and the adult dog could. Above the bench itself, you can install a device for heating the room, since you can not allow hypothermia. By the way, with such a device is to be careful - overheating puppies is also harmful. The first ten days, the ideal temperature is 28 degrees, then it can be gradually reduced to 20.
Necessary tools and medicines for childbirth
- oilcloth and sheet,
- sterile gauze napkins,
- box for born puppies,
- a basin (you will throw used diapers into it),
- pipettes, scissors, tweezers (sterilized by boiling under the lid for 5 minutes),
- multicolored woolen threads (necessary for marking puppies),
- hours (they are necessary to determine the time of birth of puppies and track the dynamics of the genera),
- silk threads (in advance put them in alcohol), they may be required for tying the umbilical cord,
- a notebook for recording the data required by type,
From medicines you need:
- Ointment "Sintomitsinovaya" (10%),
- 5% glucose in ampoules,
In case of preterm birth, you should have these drugs:
- drug "No-shpa"
- drug "Dimedrol"
- drug "Dexamethasone" (injections),
The day before giving birth, wash the abdomen and genitals, and cut the wool there. If it is long, then collect the rubber band.
Signs of childbirth in dogs
Traditionally, there are three stages:
• Preparatory stage (at this time, the opening of the birth canal).
• The birth of puppies, as well as the exit of the placenta.
Changing the behavior of the dog - this is the main symptom of approaching childbirth. The bitch becomes restless, rushes about the house for no reason, digs the litter, tries to hide, etc. Other dogs become very affectionate during this period, they constantly go after their owners. There are those who, before childbirth, lose their appetite, and some, on the contrary, very much begin to want to eat.
During the first birth, the pet is especially important to support the owner.
The dog before giving birth behaves restlessly. This is caused by an increase in intra-abdominal pressure. At the first stage, the contractions of the uterus are not very strong, it can be said that they are almost invisible. But at this time the dog is already beginning to experience discomfort.
In addition to changing behavior, there are also physiological symptoms of approaching childbirth. Five days before a significant event, the dog has a “slack” stomach. If you look at it from the side, then it may seem that she has lost weight, there will be small pits on the sides. Although if the dog is pregnant for the first time, such a sign may not be.
Body temperature is an important indicator that labor will begin soon. Hours for 8-20, it decreases to about 37 degrees. As you remember, the norm is 38-39. Shortly before giving birth, puppies, which were hustling before, sharply freeze.
The loop softens a few hours before the intended event. At about the same time, a thick discharge of white or gray appears. A bitch develops chills, there is rapid breathing. All the above signs suggest that labor will begin in the next 24 hours.
Remember that the preparatory stage lasts no more than a day. If it lasts longer, then an urgent need to contact a veterinarian.
The increased intensity of labor contractions suggests that the second stage is beginning. To the contraction of the uterus are added more and attempts (contractions of the abdominal muscles).
As a rule, dogs give birth lying down, for example, on the right side. Some still choose standing position. During labor, animals breathe heavily, sometimes even whining.
Puppies are born
How to take birth in a dog? Now we will examine this process in detail.
Before the birth of waste water. If everything goes well, then after the water has departed, the attempts will become even more intense and longer.
Remember that if more than two hours have passed since the contractions and the puppy has not appeared, then you need to urgently call the veterinarian. This situation is considered a complication, it is fraught with the death of the litter or mother.
We assist the dog: we release puppies from amniotic membranes
The hardest thing for a giving birth dog is to push the puppy's shoulders through the pelvic hole. After this action, he easily goes outside. Toddlers can be born both in front and back diligence. Both of these options are the norm.
After the puppy is completely out of the birth canal, you need as soon as possible to release him from the amniotic membrane, so that he began to breathe. It is believed that in this case you should not help the dog - she will do everything herself. But here it is necessary to observe: if the animal starts to remove the shell, then you should not distract it, otherwise you need to take matters into your own hands.
It happens that the bubble during labor breaks itself. If this does not happen, then release it yourself. A healthy puppy starts breathing immediately after removing the membranes, at first slowly, but after a few minutes, breathing returns to normal.
After the rupture of the amniotic membrane, it is necessary to separate the umbilical cord. As a rule, if the dog is not the first birth, then she does the same procedure herself. If she cannot do this because of, for example, a disproportionate physique, then, of course, she needs help. It is necessary to separate the umbilical cord very quickly, so that the puppy does not begin to crawl with an unbroken umbilical cord.
How to break it? It is necessary to carefully take her in the arm, “blend” the blood towards the puppies. Then grab the umbilical cord with the thumb and forefinger of one hand two or three centimeters from the baby’s tummy, and with the same fingers, just the other hand, three centimeters from the first grip. What to do next? Pull the umbilical cord with your first hand towards the puppy, while the second hand should be stationary at the same time. After this event, the umbilical cord is usually torn. This method helps to avoid bleeding, which occurs when cutting with scissors.
If blood appeared during cutting, then tie the umbilical cord with silk thread, which you soaked in alcohol before giving birth. Do not try to treat the wound with iodine, this can not be done.
If the birth was normal, then the afterbirth, as a rule, goes immediately after the birth of the calf. It happens that the placenta is pushed out by the next. It is necessary to monitor the number of followers. They should be exactly as much as the cubs. If the placenta remains in the uterus, it can lead to inflammation.
It often happens that the afterbirth is delayed after the birth of the latter. If you suspect that not all the afterbirth has gone, contact your veterinarian.
Remember that the bitch must lay on a clean litter during the entire period of childbirth, so if you pollute immediately you need to change the diaper.
Discharge from a dog after childbirth
After giving birth in a few weeks, the mother may have discharge (blood-mucous membranes), gradually giving way to colorless. Such a phenomenon is the norm.
If you notice a dark green discharge with an unpleasant smell, then you need to call a doctor. As a rule, during such a period, the dog often has an increase in temperature. Abundant bleeding after childbirth is also a reason to consult a doctor, as uterine bleeding is possible.
Preparing for childbirth
Pregnancy in dogs lasts about 59-63 days. If the owner knows what day was mated, calculate the expected date of birth for him is not difficult. Start preparing for the birth of puppies should be 2-3 weeks before the expected time. If you plan to seek help from a veterinarian, do it now. It is worth stocking up with a doctor's number in any case, even if you decide to take delivery yourself. It will be useful to you if something goes wrong.
We equip the place of the dog for childbirth
Approximately 1-1.5 weeks before the intended childbirth is necessary to arrange a place where the bitch will be whelping. Having done this in advance, you will allow your darling to get used to the place that is new for her and will not be mistaken if the birth begins early.
The first thing to do before giving birth to a dog is to equip a place for giving birth.
To equip the "nest" for childbirth, it is enough to take the old box, suitable size or collapsible playpen. The main condition is that the dog can freely accommodate in an improvised dwelling. Old books or magazines should be laid between the bottom of the box and the floor to protect the animal from the cold and drafts. One of the walls of the playpen should be reduced so that the pet has the opportunity to leave the nest, and the puppies do not.
Important! Since childbirth is a “dirty” process, it is advisable to take them not in the arena, but on the sofa covered with oilcloth. It is recommended to take out all the carpets from the room in advance, and bring them back after the puppies are born.
What medications are needed and what equipment
Before taking up the duties of an obstetrician, it is necessary to shorten the nails, wash hands with soap and sanitize them.
Prepare everything before birth.
When the dog begins to give birth, a standard obstetric kit should be at hand, including:
- sheet and oilcloth,
- heating pad
- box for newborn puppies,
- two thermometers (room and medical),
- sterile pipettes, tweezers, scissors, syringes,
- basin for dirty diapers,
- sterile gauze wipes,
- silk threads (put in vodka or alcohol),
- soft diapers,
- notebook with pen,
- small scales,
- multicolored woolen threads (to tag puppies).
You should also prepare medicines:
- hydrogen peroxide,
- vodka or medical alcohol,
- glucose 5% in ampoules,
Signs of the beginning of labor in a dog
The birth of puppies is a process consisting of three stages: preparatory, when the birth canal is revealed, contractions, birth of puppies and the afterbirth.
Before giving birth, the behavior of the animal changes dramatically. The dog becomes restless, can not be long in one place. Some animals begin to hide in dark corners, others - do not leave the master a single step. In addition to changes in behavior, external changes become noticeable: the abdomen is lowered visas, pits appear on the sides. The heartbeat becomes rapid, the pet often breathes and trembles. One of the key "symptoms" of the upcoming delivery is a decrease in the body temperature of the animal by one or two degrees.
Usually the preparatory period lasts for 2-3 hours or days. After this begins a period of intense contractions, when the uterus, the muscles of the abdominal cavity begin to contract. If childbirth occurs in a confined space, the animal presses its back against one wall, and with its paws rests against another, which allows it to more easily endure contractions. After each attempt the bitch relaxes, and her breathing becomes heavy.
How to take birth
If the bitch gives birth for the first time, she may become confused and take no action against the newborn. In this case, you should use the algorithm of reception of childbirth, suitable for all dogs without exception. If the puppy born to the world lies next to the mother for 4-6 seconds, it is necessary:
- Get a puppy and bring to the face of a bitch.
- If there is no reaction, open the blister yourself, remove mucus from the mouth, and check if the tongue has not sunk.
- Raise the umbilical cord, tie it up 2 centimeters from the puppy's abdomen, trim.
- Grind the baby, make sure that there is breathing, attach the puppy to the mother's nipple.
- At the beginning of new attempts to shift the puppy in a box with a heating pad, standing in front of the female.
Small breed dogs (those that weighed less than 4 kg before birth) usually give birth to themselves, without help. All that is required of the owner is to take puppies, cut the umbilical cords. Providing help is necessary if the puppy is born very long (for example, due to fatigue of the animal). A slightly different picture is observed in representatives of the smallest breeds. (Yorkshire terriers, chihuahuas, dwarf pinschers, Jack Russell terriers). Most of these animals (especially primiparous) can not independently push the puppies out of the birth canal. To help an animal, it is necessary:
- When another attempt, accompanied by the appearance of the fetal bladder, fix the baby in the birth canal. To do this, you can clamp the area around the loop or hold the puppy's head in a bubble. If the puppy is born feet first, hold it over the area above the hips. Pulling the newborn by the paws is contraindicated.
- During the second attempt it is possible to help the woman in labor by gently pulling the puppy to him and fixing him in one position. Usually, after the head and shoulders of the baby come out, the newborn slips out.
- Pulling puppies, do it in the natural direction of the birth canal. Allowed accurate "loosening" of the baby from side to side, careful and smooth.
See how the dogs give birth and how to take them at home, see in the video.
Dogs of large breeds produce fewer puppies than small individuals. Usually large animals, such as the German Shepherd, are allowed on their own, without assistance. If the dog cannot give birth for a long time, it is necessary to contact the veterinarian.
How to help the dog during childbirth
To protect the dog and puppies from possible complications, the owner of the animal must know how to help your pet during childbirth. Help may be needed if the dog did not free the puppy from the shell - the bubble in which he was born. In this case it is necessary to immediately break the shell so that the baby can breathe. If the bubble is broken, but the puppy does not breathe or move, it is necessary to clean his mouth and nose, removing the liquid from there.
The same goes for the umbilical cord. If the dog did not chew on her own, help her with this. (act as quickly as possible). Your task is to decant the blood in the umbilical cord towards the baby, squeeze it with your fingers at a distance of 2-3 centimeters from the puppy's belly, make a second capture at the same distance and tear the umbilical cord. When blood appears, tie the umbilical cord with a pre-alcoholized silk thread.
Possible complications in a dog at birth
Possible complications of childbirth:
- Weak generic activity. Данное состояние означает истощение матки, ослабление или прекращение схваток и потуг. В этом случае ветеринар принимает решение об использовании стимулятора либо проведении кесарева сечения.
- Мертвый щенок. Если при потугах показывается щенок, который не подает признаков жизни, его необходимо вытащить во время очередной серии потуг. Otherwise, the remaining babies will suffocate in the birth canal, retained by the dead puppy.
- Stuck puppy. This complication occurs as a result of vaginal muscle spasms. To save the puppy, it is necessary to give the dog an injection of an antispasmodic and to wait for complete relaxation of the muscles. If during the following attempts, the situation remains the same, you can help the bitch and insert a finger into the vagina (on the side of the puppy or under it).
- Big puppy. If a large puppy is shown from the loop, but does not move outward, it is necessary to push the finger into the loop of the dog and during the next attempts gently push the baby towards him. You need to act on the so-called arc (on yourself, and then down).
- Wrong walking puppy. When the puppy's head is wrapped inside, it fits the neck of the dog's pelvic opening. This provision prevents the puppy from exiting the vagina without problems and requires the assistance of a veterinarian.
- Delayed placenta. If the afterbirth did not go away two to five hours after giving birth, give the bitch an injection of oxytocin (1 ml), put the animal in a bath on its hind legs, turn on the shower and send a stream of warm water to the belly. The following manipulations accompany light massage of the abdomen (movement in the direction from top to bottom).
Dog diseases after childbirth
After allowing the dog to suffer:
- necrosis of the placental part of the uterine wall,
- postpartum hemorrhage,
- postpartum septicemia,
- postpartum eclampsia,
- atony of the uterus,
- postpartum titania,
- acute metritis
- postpartum hysteria,
- torsion of the stomach (inversion of the intestines in a dog).
Important! After childbirth, you must carefully monitor the condition of the bitch and immediately contact the veterinarian if any suspicious symptoms appear.
Caring for a dog and puppies after childbirth
The childbirth takes away a lot of strength from the animal, so after the successful resolution of her pet, you need to ensure her rest. The dog must be kept in a warm dry place under the supervision of the owner. It is important to protect the dog from strangers, as the presence of a stranger in the apartment can be regarded by the newly-made mother as an encroachment on the puppies.
During the first 14 days after bleeding, the bitch has mucous secretions mixed with blood, which gradually become colorless. Having a dog of dark green or abundant bloody discharge is a reason for contacting a veterinarian. The former may be caused by an inflammatory process in the abdominal cavity, and the latter by uterine bleeding.
The childbirth of a dog takes a lot of energy, so after childbirth it needs rest.
Feeding newborn puppies
Despite the fact that puppies are born deaf and blind, they are able to find the mother's breast from the first days of life. During feeding, babies massage the bitch's belly, starting from the floor with its hind legs. So they stimulate the nipples, which contributes to the production of milk. It is extremely important that newborn puppies feed on colostrum, since it contains nutrients and globulins of proteins that protect the body from infectious diseases.
Thus, to take birth in a dog at home is not as difficult as it may seem at first glance. The main thing is to thoroughly prepare for this process and keep on hand the number of the veterinarian who is ready to help at the right moment.
And in the end, watch another video with recommendations and tips.