- How to teach a kitten to claw
- How to tame a cat to sharpen claws
- How to make a cat claw
Pet shops sell special tools to attract cats to the right places, as well as to distract them from items that are dear to you. Very effective are catnip and valerian extract. They can be treated with claw coating. The smell of these plants will attract the attention of the baby, and he will soon get used to sharpen claws on a convenient panel.
Lemon or any other citrus fruit will help to distract the kitten from the already loved places. Spray the fruit juice on the forbidden places, and the kitten will bypass them. And soon and completely forget that once sharpened claws there.
10 practical ways to teach a kitten to scratching
- To begin, introduce your pet with a new toy. Pick up a feather or a candy wrapper on a rope and play with it near the scratching post. Try to make the kitten involuntarily cling to the surface of the accessory. So he will be able to feel it with his paws, he will understand why this object is necessary. It is important that the game was a joyful and fun atmosphere. The cat understands by the intonation of the voice and the look, whether you are satisfied with its actions or vice versa, you condemn it. If she scratches carpets and furniture - do not leave it unpunished, show the animal that you do not like it. The kitten does not understand the words, but understands the tone of the human voice. But when the baby begins to use the scratching post, on the contrary, praise it and encourage your favorite delicacy. He will understand that it is possible and even necessary to scratch.
In order for the cat to become accustomed to the claw, the object must be suitable for the animal. In pet stores there is a huge selection of cat accessories. Very interesting are the complex structures, which are a play area, a place to sleep and a built-in scraper. However, such items are not cheap.
Conventional claws can be vertical and horizontal. Before buying, watch your pet, as he prefers to scratch his claws - stretched out on the floor or standing on two paws in a vertical position. Making the right choice regarding your pet's preferences can significantly speed up the process of learning and dating a kitten with a claw post.
If this option is not affordable for you, you can make a scraper yourself. To do this, you will need a strong and stable base, a pipe of wide diameter and soft material - carpet or cord. A round or rectangular base is best made from a piece of chipboard. To its center you need to attach the pipe using the corners. When the construction is done, it is necessary to sheathe it with a soft material. Kovrolan best glued to construction glue. However, the glue should not have too sharp smell - otherwise it will scare the animal. The twine can be tightly wound on the tube. Mounts must be very strong, so that the cat does not ruin your design on the first day of its use.
A cat needs to be trained and its behavior adapted for life in a human dwelling. Only such “cohabitation” will bring joy, harmony and love.
Which claw to choose
Depending on the design style and functional features, today there are three main types of claws:
- The flat model is the simplest fixture of a wooden base with rope bands wound on top. Plane claw can be laid on the floor, hung on the wall, for which there are special mounts or installed in the form of a pyramid. However, taming an adult cat to this type of claw can cause difficulties, it is better to choose such models for kittens or as an addition to the main claw turning site,
- The vertical column is a stable base with a cylinder attached to it, a cone or a square box covered with a material suitable for a point of claws. To make it easier to accustom to the pet's claw, in some models there is a special upper platform where the animal can sit, others are equipped with gaming accessories (hanging balls, ropes or ropes),
- Kogtetochka in the form of a house - can be made in different styles and colors. This is a real entertainment complex for a pet with an internal labyrinth, a soft place to sleep and plenty of entertainment. The disadvantage of such an acquisition can be called only its high cost, although taking into account the possible damage from furniture damage in the process of claw point, the price of a cat's house is quite justified.
It is up to you to decide which of the proposed options is up to you, because in any case there will be a problem of teaching the cat to the scratching post. In order for the device to be used for its intended purpose, it is important to buy a model that pleases the cat. There are several points that do not hurt to consider when buying:
- the height of the scratching post is better if it is at least 80 cm, the more the better, because kittens and adult cats love to climb as high as possible,
- stability - take a model with a massive base so that the device does not tip over from jumps and pet's active games, if it falls, further training the kitten to the claw is likely to be problematic.
Do it yourself
It is not necessary to buy expensive accessories when you can build a scraper at home without much effort and cost.
There are several win-win variants of home devices for animals, with which there will be no problems, how to accustom the cat to the scraper:
- beat the side of the high cabinet with carpet to the very top - on such a surface the animal will be happy to climb up, at the same time doing gymnastic stunts and sharpening its claws,
- decorate the legs of the dining table and chairs with rope ropes, such devices will be the perfect analogue of any vertical scraper,
- Many cats love to ride under the sofa, clinging to the lower part with sharp claws, the ideal way to teach a cat to scratch is to add a lower bar for upholstered furniture with a rope or a durable multilayer material. Periodically change the pad, and you do not have to be upset because of the spoiled appearance of the sofa.
As an alternative to the scraper, we can recommend using anti-scratches. Pads on claws come in different colors; choosing bright patterns will be easier to control when the kitten throws off grown-up claws in order to promptly replace the lost pad.