Each chicken egg producer is interested in the productivity of the enterprise and the high quality of its products. Be sure to take into account the weight of each egg produced. Improving this indicator directly affects profits.
In accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation, the products of the sphere are supposed to be sold not by mass, but by piece. On chicken farms, eggs are sorted by weight, marked and packaged. Approximate mass is determined by stamps applied on the shell, or the information is indicated on the outside of the package.
Why are products not sold by weight?
The reasons for the fact that the goods are not sold by weight are rooted in the structural features of chicken eggs.
- The shell is quite fragile. Selling eggs by the piece is inconvenient for both sellers and buyers. It is unsafe, because any mechanical effect on the egg can damage the shell.
- Percentage ratio. A thin layer of the shell constantly passes moisture, respectively, the egg becomes lighter. If the egg will be stored for a long time, selling it by weight is unprofitable.
In the legislation of the Russian Federation this moment is stipulated due to many objective factors.
- When a certain number of eggs are in the finished package, it is convenient to recount them and the likelihood of shell damage decreases,
- The mass of eggs decreases with time as the moisture evaporates through the shell layer. Practice has shown that sales by mass are unprofitable. We can give an example: a shop buys at a poultry farm 1 ton of products per weight, and it will be possible to realize half a centner less due to the loss of moisture through the shell. Accordingly, the store will be forced to add these losses in the form of added value, which will affect the price increase.
- These products are quite fragile and, the more mechanical they are exposed to, the greater their percentage will become unusable - an egg can be easily broken during transportation, it can easily crack.
Important! Cracked raw egg can not be used! In the store, be sure to inspect the shell.
Before you cook an egg, it is recommended to wash it with a regular detergent. The protein portion is the largest, and the greatest loss of moisture occurs from it. Sometimes the mass loss is compensated for by adding clean water, but this is allowed to be done if the recipe involves agitation.
Eggs purchased in the store, as a rule, has a special stamp that contains complete information about the product purchased. You just need to be able to read it correctly. Marking is usually done in two ways:
1) The stamp is applied separately to the shell of each egg.
2) If the product is sold in a special closed container, then the information is indicated on the packaging. This is usually a label that is glued in such a way that when you open the box, you have to break it. This ensures that this container has not been reused.
Most often, poultry farms try to label all their products without taking into account the type of subsequent packaging. Thus, the company is trying to avoid possible misunderstandings and substitutions. Understanding the meaning of each symbol applied marking, any buyer can not only give a general description of the product, but also determine the weight of chicken eggs, standing on the counter.
Information for the buyer
The easiest marking stamp contains two characters. The first is the type of egg, and it is designated by the letter of the Russian alphabet, and the second is its size, and it is indicated conditionally in numbers or letters. Now you need to understand how to determine the weight of all this symbolism. Chicken eggs are many, and they are all different. You need to understand in order. The letter symbol in the stamp indicates the type of product. This is not just a conditional name. In accordance with it, the period of storage and scope of products of poultry farms are established. Therefore, eggs are divided into the following types:
- Dietary ("D"). They are usually stored no more than 7 days. And the countdown is not from the date of manufacture, but from the date of sorting. This must be taken into account when buying in the store.
- Dining ("C"). Their shelf life is 25 days.
From this we can conclude that the dietary egg differs from the table one by some special qualities. Just great the likelihood that it is more fresh. This is an important indicator. It is even more important than the weight of chicken eggs or any other. Perhaps that is why diet eggs are used for baby food. Without fear they can be boiled softly or used in the confectionery industry, for example for making creams.
Weight categories of eggs
In addition to species, eggs are further subdivided into categories. There are only five of them:
This indicator allows you to judge the size of the product. Therefore, knowing it, you can approximately determine the weight of 1 chicken egg. On average, it is about 50 grams. These dependences of the type, category and weight of chicken eggs can be tabulated.
Table of dependence of the weight of chicken eggs from their species and category
Those who like to be engaged in cooking should know that when writing recipes, specialists usually conditionally use eggs of the third category with an estimated weight of 40 grams. Making a purchase in the store, you can check the correctness of the markings, using the test weights.
Components of the egg
Any egg consists of three parts. The percentage of each of them in the product as a percentage is as follows:
These figures are about the same for eggs of all types and categories. Based on the above values, you can easily calculate the weight of a chicken egg without a shell. For example, if a C1 egg weighs 60 grams, the shell of it, respectively, is 7 grams, the yolk is 20 grams, and the protein is 33 grams. Usually this indicator is not necessary, but sometimes it is indicated in some tables of measures. In addition, some confectionery enterprises use melange to produce their products. It is a mixture of yolks and proteins without eggshell. In this case, knowing the weight of a particular batch of eggs, you can calculate how much melange from it can turn out. It is worth noting that the weight of the shell is completely independent of its color. Eggs can be white, beige, brown and even olive. According to this characteristic, rather, it is possible to determine the breed of chicken that laid a particular egg taken.
Chicken eggs are usually used in food in a raw, boiled and fried form. Boiled products are often used in the daily diet of any person. Boiled eggs are eaten just like that or used to prepare a variety of dishes: appetizers, salads, and even soups. In drawing up recipes, specialists usually use the number of eggs in pieces, but sometimes it is necessary to have an idea about the ratio of components of a complex dish in grams. This is where the need arises to know the weight of a boiled chicken egg. In this case, you should immediately refer to the above table. You just need to calculate the weight of the protein and yolk without the outer shell. This will be the desired value. After all, eggs are boiled in the shell, as in an enclosed space, so any material losses in this case are practically excluded.
Two different eggs of the same category and species may have different weight. This is stipulated by the current standard. But if we are talking about large batches, the tolerance in grams is not taken into account. Only the average value is taken into account, that is, the average weight of a chicken egg. For example, a dietary egg of the second category should weigh from 45 to 55 grams. Consequently, the average weight of such eggs in a batch is considered equal to 50 grams. In practice, it turns out. Both larger and smaller eggs are caught. If you set a goal and weigh, for example, one hundred eggs of the same marking, and then divide the resulting value by the total number, then the result is a weight of 1 egg, equal to the average value approved by GOST. Some manufacturers, to expand the range, give ordinary eggs additional properties: they enrich them with selenium or iodine, they achieve a bright color of yolk. In any case, the average value of weight is determined based on the category and type of products produced.
Chicken egg weight
For unknown reasons, few people ask the question “how much does a chicken egg weigh?” And this is interesting and useful information. It depends on the weight to which category the result of chicken effort will be assigned.
Chicken eggs are divided into dining and diet.
All eggs can be divided into two groups:
The first group includes fresh eggs that are stored for no more than seven days. The second group - the dining room - consists of eggs with a shelf life of up to 25 days at room temperature and 90 in the refrigerator.
Also, eggs are divided into smaller categories:
- first category
- second category
- third category.
Each category has its weight in grams and labeling:
- Higher - 75 and more.
- Selective - 65-74.
- The first is 55-64.
- The second is 45-54.
- The third is 35-45.
Depending on whether the egg belongs to the table or dietary, a stamp is printed with the initial letters of the category and group: SV, DV, etc.
Interesting: in the famous world record book there are several records concerning eggs: the largest recorded size is 136 grams, and the smallest is slightly less than 10 grams.
The average weight of one chicken egg
By dividing eggs into categories, their difference becomes noticeable: weight, price.
The average weight of chicken eggs of the first category is 55-64 grams.
Usually the cheapest eggs of a small size are laid by young hens. Accordingly, the large ones, which first of all attract attention, are more mature individuals.
If we take the average weight of all eggs, then we can confidently say that one average egg will weigh from 40 to 60 grams. This is one of the most common types and recommended in culinary recipes.
How many grams left without shell
Well, what will the experts in this question answer if you ask them: how much will an egg weigh, if it is without a shell? It is possible that someone will be confused, someone will pretend that they are not talking to him, but what the true gurus of the egg business will answer.
Egg weight without shell is important in making melange.
Their answer will be from one numeral: 55 grams. But this figure is approximate, since each egg has its own weight, which can fluctuate even within one category. Egg weight without shell is important for confectioners who make melange.
Reference. Melange is a protein and yolk, dried by a special technology.
To determine the weight, specialists use the percentage ratio, which helps them accurately calculate the required value.
Converting to percentages, we get the following result:
- shell - 12%,
- yolk - 32%,
- protein - 56%.
By removing the shell, we get 88% of the total weight of the egg, regardless of labeling.
How much does a raw egg weigh
Interestingly, a raw egg may differ from the stated weight. Buying eggs on the label is about known for its weight. But when you come home you can find that the weight of a dozen eggs is less than that stated.
The first thing that comes to mind is the thought of deception. But it is not. The fact is that when lying through the shell, moisture gradually evaporates, and, accordingly, the weight of a raw egg can vary not only by category, but also from freshness.
Important. The fresher the egg, the more it weighs.
How does the mass of boiled eggs change
Another interesting fact is that during cooking the weight of the eggs remains unchanged.
A boiled egg does not change its mass.
This happens for a very simple reason: the shell is a protective sheath that does not let in and releases moisture, leaving all the components in place. And for this reason the boiled egg in weight is the same as the raw one.
But the fried egg will weigh less. With this method of cooking moisture evaporates, and the weight becomes less. Also it is necessary to take into account the same 12% of the shell, which are removed during the preparation of products for the egg.
The weight of the yolk, protein and eggshells of chicken eggs
If you break an egg into its constituents: white, yolk, shell, it turns out that the most important part is protein, and the easiest part is shell. Not surprisingly, the testicle can be so easily damaged.
The most significant part of the egg - protein, and the lightest - the shell.
If you translate into numbers, then on average you get this result:
- Protein - 33 grams.
- Yolk - 22 grams.
- Shells - 7 grams.
Weight of imported eggs by labeling
Abroad, they say, life is different. Maybe, in general, it does not differ from the domestic one, but there are many differences in trifles. This includes labeling eggs. Interestingly, imported eggs are divided by weight into other groups than we have: from the smallest in 30 grams to 73 grams.
On imported packages with eggs, besides marking with indication of weight and size, you can also find other marks. The “eco” badge is placed on the boxes, in which products from hens with freedom of movement were piled up. For many, this fact is important.
Imported eggs are divided by weight into other groups: from the smallest in 30 grams to 73 grams.
Sizes of imported chicken eggs from Europe
The eggs of European layers are divided by size, and accordingly with the size they are stamped with certain markings:
- Small (S) - 40-53 grams.
- Medium (M) - 53.90-63.
- Large (L) 63.90-73.
- Very large (VL) - 73 and higher.
Reference. Eggs of European quality, unlike ours, are divided into 4 groups: 2 and 3 categories are combined into one.
In addition, each egg has a figure that can be used to determine in which country the chickens have tried.
European laying eggs are divided by size: S, M, L, VL.
Usually, eggs are brought in from only 4 countries:
- Belgium - 1.
- Germany - 2.
- France - 3.
- Holland - 6.
Why eggs are not sold by weight, but by the piece
Here are two reasons why eggs are sold individually:
- Fragility. If you think logically, the piece-by-piece form of sale is not only convenient for both the seller and the buyer, but also safe. It is enough to remember what percentage is the shell of the total weight of the egg and it becomes clear that unnecessary manipulations can lead to disastrous results.
- Percentage ratio. With a long lying thin shells begin to pass through moisture and the egg decreases in weight. Given this factor, a weight sale would be unprofitable.
Some interesting facts
Here are some facts you might not know about:
- Eggs may not be labeled if they are packed in a box.
- In recipes, the calculation usually goes on one egg at forty grams.
- Diet eggs have a red stamp, table - blue.
- On the modern market one can find both simple chicken eggs and vitamin-fortified eggs. Sold such marked "fitness".
- Sticky feathers and dung shells do not speak about the environmental friendliness of eggs, but about the lack of hygiene at the poultry farm.
- Each country has its own idea of large and small eggs.
The weight of eggs helps not only to save money, but also to calculate the correct amount of them for cooking one or another dish. When buying eggs, it is important to pay attention to the absence of cracks, dirt and other adverse factors that may indicate unsanitary conditions, and therefore to possible infections.
What do the numbers and letters mean
Numbers 1, 2, 3 and letters ABOUT (selective), AT (highest) indicate the weight category of eggs.
Letter WITH (table) refers to an egg with a long shelf life suitable for human consumption.
Letter D (dietary) refers to a fresh, high-quality egg, which, after 7 days of storage (from the moment of pulling down), will lose its advantages and become the rank of an ordinary table egg.
I weighed bought eggs, it turned out that they weigh less. Are we being cheated?
No doubt, poultry farms can deceive buyers by putting down the labeling dishonestly. But, only a special check from Rospotrebnadzor can prove it. However, usually the weight does not coincide because during storage eggs lose weight very quickly due to evaporation of moisture through the shell.
Cracked eggs do not use for food. When buying, do not hesitate to look for packaging without cracked eggs.
If you do not trust the store or the poultry farm, then check the weight of the eggs directly in the store on the check weights.
Wash with soap and water before cooking.
Why does it matter how much an egg weighs
The average consumer may not think about how much those eggs weighed for breakfast weighed. But the weight of this product is certainly an important indicator in the conditions of the poultry farm. The existing regulations provide for the division of this product into categories, which is very important for pricing. Consider how is this product standardized.
- Initially, the product is divided into two groups: diet and dining. The first includes the freshest eggs, the shelf life of which did not exceed seven days. Во вторую группу попадает продукт со сроком хранения до 25 дней при комнатной температуре и до 90 суток в холодильнике.
- Дальше происходит деление на категории. Куриное яйцо может быть высшей, отборной, первой, второй и третьей категории, что полностью зависит от его веса.
- Высшая категория – яйца весом от 75 гр. и более, отборная – 65-74 гр., первая – 55-64 гр., вторая – 45-54 гр., третья – 35-44.
- Each egg receives a lettering and then goes on sale.
What affects the weight of the egg
Testicular weight can be so different.that this data is even recorded in the Guinness Book of Records. Thus, the largest copy is recognized as weighing 136 grams, and the smallest laying hen weighed only about 10 grams.
What influences the weight of this product? The main factor is the age of the hen. Small testicles are younger chickens, larger - more experienced. The average weight of one chicken egg is considered a parameter of 40-60 grams, it is taken into account when drawing up recipes.
Particularly curious may be interested in how much the egg weighs, devoid of shell. You can weigh it on electronic scales within your own kitchen, or you can rely on published data. According to information from various sources, an egg without an outer shell weighs on average 55 grams.
Those culinary specialists for whom the exact weight of products is of fundamental importance are recommended to focus on the percentage, which looks like this:
- protein mass is 56%
- yolk takes up 32%,
- shell weight is 12%.
It is easy to calculate that the mass fraction of the pure product without the shell will be 88% of the initial weight.
Can the egg weight change
Upward weight definitely never change, but it can decrease. By purchasing eggs and deciding to weigh them at home, you risk finding that a dozen eggs weigh a little less than they should according to the labeling. Rogue manufacturers or sellers have nothing to do with it. Mass change depends how much time has passed since the product appeared.
The eggshell is breathable and internal moisture gradually evaporates through it. Therefore, the longer the product lies on the counter, the less it will weigh. This difference can be considered a certain criterion of freshness. A freshly laid egg will always have a mass greater than that which has been stored.
How much do boiled eggs weigh? The cooking process does not affect the weight of the product. In boiled testicles, it remains the same. But fried will have a smaller mass due to the lack of shell and evaporation of moisture during the cooking process. If we take the egg weight without the shell in grams, then the average figures will be: protein - 33 grams, yolk - 22 grams, shell - 7 grams.
Why do eggs sell by the piece
Traders are forced to do this because of the changing masses. After all, during storage, the weight can be significantly reduced and the seller instead of the expected profit will suffer losses, and that’s releasing the testicles one by one.
It is necessary to take into account the fact that this product has increased fragility. Therefore, it makes sense to impose it and let go one by one. And one thing accidentally broken, the egg will not cause much damage to the seller or the buyer.
What to look for when choosing eggs
- Do not chase a large size. Nutritionists have repeatedly warned that the testicles in which less than a gram, torn down by young chickens and contain more nutrients than large ones.
- The labeling on the diet product will be red, and in the dining room category - blue.
- In addition to regular chicken eggs, you can find a product enriched with vitamins on sale. In this case, the package contains a stamp "fitness".
- If traces of excrement and adhered feathers are visible on the shell, it means that the manufacturer does not care much about the sanitary conditions at its poultry farm. It is better to choose other eggs, or wash those polluted with water and laundry soap before using them.
- A product packed in an airtight box may not be individually labeled. All data in this case will be indicated on the packaging.
- When buying, take eggs without cracks on the shell, violating its integrity will allow bacteria to penetrate inside the product.