Siamese cats are grace, obstinacy, miniature, aristocratic and even greatness. They are adored, admired. The description of the breed and character of the Siamese cat allows us to conclude that they are the only ones who were able to preserve their oriental roots, since they had never crossed with European cats.
The history of the breed
With the advent of Siamese cats associated a huge number of legends and legends. So, one of the most ancient tells us about biblical times, where even on the Noah's Ark a proud beautiful lioness fell in love with the obstinate male monkey. And as a result of their love, the first Siamese was born.
However, all the same, it is considered to be the birthplace of these cats in a distant eastern country - Thailand. There, this breed was considered sacred, therefore, they were fully protected by law. In addition, there is evidence that in history, Siamese cats played a significant role. They accompanied the souls of the dead people of Siam to the afterlife, took part in religious ceremonies. For quite a long time they were strictly forbidden to export from Thailand.
There is also a beautiful legend about how one of the Thai princesses always went to the river with one Siamese. The girl before bathing necessarily took off her gorgeous rings and put the cat on its tail. When the pet lost one of these decorations, the princess began to tie a bundle on the tip of its tail.
As for the official theories and versions of the origin of this breed, scientists still can not agree in opinion. Although, most likely, the Siamese cat breed is descended from adorable and wild Bengal cats. Proof of this fact can serve as the fact that Siamese cats pregnant go no less than 65 days, although representatives of other breeds about 55.
In Europe, the Siamese appeared in the 19th century. They were brought to the UK by British Consul Owen Gould as an expensive gift from the Thai king. And Queen Victoria liked them and became real pets.
Externally, Siamese cats give the impression of a graceful and independent animal. But this absolutely does not mean that they are arrogant or have a bad temper.
They are incredibly sociable, so they constantly require a lot of attention from the owner. Accordingly, if you are often absent at home, and cannot find time to play with your pet, it is better not to start a representative of this breed. But this does not mean that such cats can not be left alone. 12 hours they calmly stand. The main thing, on return, is to give them attention, stroke, play.
In addition, the Siamese are incredibly friendly and playful. They have an endless supply of energy. Many happy owners point out the fact that they sometimes behave like dogs: they drive around the house with great speed, jump on sofas, armchairs and closets. Moreover, the description of the breed and photos of the Siamese cat indicate that they are ready to play, even in adulthood. Play all that please. Not amenable to the process of training. And if you have patience, you can teach your pet different tricks.
Siamese cats are extremely important to know that they are loved and show maximum attention to them. They feel well all the differences in the mood of their masters. They cannot tolerate when they are not noticed at all or they are trying to ignore.
But if in the house, there will be another animal, the Siamese will be terribly jealous. On any contact with strangers go with great care.
Love to "talk" is another characteristic feature of the Siamese cat breed, it can manage its voice remarkably, showing different sounds with what it wants at this particular moment. By the way, makes it quite loud. But the cat itself can not tolerate loud noises, if they come from others. This fact must also be considered when choosing a pet.
In relation to children, such cats are benevolent and tolerant, in the event that the kids do not urge them to play too hard or impose their attention and love.
By virtue of their natural abilities - long paws, the Siamese miracle is capable of "minor crimes". So, it can easily learn to open cabinets, boxes, handbags, bedside tables in order to get any thing they like to play. This is evidenced by numerous videos! Therefore, the owner with such a favorite will not be bored.
Sometimes cats show some stubbornness, demonstrate hunting instincts, but if you show patience, give them your attention, kindness, care and affection, they will definitely pay back the same, and become true and loyal friends.
Maintenance and care
Siamese kittens are born on the 65-68th day of pregnancy, the light is absolutely white. And in the photo the Siamese kitten looks like a real angel. But after a few days, some parts of his body (ears, tail, nose, paws) begin to acquire a darker color, and he acquires a characteristic color for representatives of this breed for 6-10 months.
There are also cases when newborn Siamese have red eyes. This is the effect of the albinism gene. But it takes only a month, and now, you already see a Siamese cat with blue eyes.
Since the hair of a Siamese cat is short and there is no undercoat at all, it will not be difficult to take care of it. This is what the Siamese cats are all about. To do this, once a week is enough to comb your pet with a comb or hand dipped in water towards the tail.
In addition, the Siamese must be bathed. He doesn’t like it very much, so it’s better to teach this procedure as early as possible. Optimally, at a temperature of 38-40 degrees. Then it must be thoroughly dried, while avoiding drafts.
You must also take into account the predisposition of Siamese cats to various dental diseases. In this regard, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the teeth of your pet. And if you find a tartar - immediately contact a good specialist.
If we talk about the pet's diet, it is important to know that in food he is quite picky and picky. So, sometimes a pet can give preference to completely unexpected foods: sweets, corn, nuts, mushrooms, or even fruit.
If you choose ready-made feeds for feeding the animal, then all of them should be of the highest quality. In that case, if you prefer to feed the Siamese with natural products, you should pay attention to fish occupying about 30% of its diet. After all, a lot of meat can lead to a significant darkening of their wool.
It is equally important that the cat has constant access to clean and fresh water, preferably at room temperature, as they always drink a lot.
Siamese cats, in general, have good health. But, nevertheless, sometimes there are times when they get sick. It may be:
- liver amyloidosis,
- the appearance of malignant tumors of the breast,
- Siamese strabismus,
- formation of tartar,
- gingivitis, etc.
In such cases, you should immediately contact a qualified veterinarian. By the way, the Siamese are incredibly sensitive to anesthesia, which is important to consider during operations. But, nevertheless, the assistance provided in time will alleviate the suffering, and possibly save the life of your pet.
The price of a Siamese cat on the market varies, on average, from $ 150 to $ 700. Of course, you can buy cheaper. But in this case, you need to be prepared for the fact that the new pet is a mixture of a Siamese cat with a simple one.
Why do Siamese have such a strange color - with dark marks?
This is a genetic feature of the breed, the color of the coat will depend on the body temperature. Kittens are born without marks (points), which appear only after a few weeks. The darkest wool will be in the coldest points of the body: ears, nose, tail, limbs.
A Siamese living in heat will have a lighter color. The shade stabilizes by 1-2 years, with age the wool darkens.
How do Siamese treat children?
Siamese cat easily finds common ground with active children and willingly participates in games. However, we must explain to the child that it is impossible to squeeze and touch her by the tail. Siamese are not suitable for the role of living toys, with careless handling can use claws and teeth.
A child can be taught to care for a pet: feed, change water. This will help to build relationships.
How much will a purebred kitten cost?
It depends on several factors: the presence of a pedigree, parents imported from abroad or winners of exhibitions, fame of the nursery.
Pet-class kittens (for the home), on average, cost 10-15 thousand rubles, breeding (breeding) classes - from $ 600, show-class (exhibition) - from $ 800. and higher.
- Have an elegant, attractive appearance.
- Loving, loyal, sociable.
- Smart and quick-witted, easy to train.
- You can quickly learn to walk on a harness.
- Perfectly adapt to the lifestyle of the household.
- Very energetic and mobile, for children can be a great companion for games.
- Neat, do not require special care.
- Born hunters.
- They have good health, can live long enough - up to 15-20 years. The Guinness Book of Records recorded a case when a Siamese lived for 38 years.
- Require a special approach to education, with the wrong attitude can become aggressive.
- Willful, stubborn.
- They are very vulnerable, they remember offenses for a long time, they can take revenge without forgiving the punishment without guilt.
- Prone to destructive behavior (often become the culprits of a strong disorder in the house).
- Poor loneliness, you need to pay a lot of attention.
- If the cat does not like something, she howls long and shrill.
- A loud voice becomes a problem with heat.
- Must be kept warm, as the Siamese have no undercoat.
Photo of Siamese cat
Variety of colors
About 20 varieties of colors are known, the most common:
- Seal-point: coat color is creamy on the hull, darkens to light brown, black-brown markings.
- Chocolate point: background - “ivory”, points - “coffee with milk”.
- Blue point: body - snow white. On the back goes into the blue of the same tone as on the marks, but lighter. Markings are plain blue.
- Tabby point: points with stripes. Wool on the body is pale, the shade corresponds to the standard of a certain color.
- Lilac point: background - "whipped protein". Points - light gray, with a pink overflow.
- Red point: the background is white, the points are bright golden red. Paws are golden-red, apricot. There may be stripes on the head, legs, tail.
- Tortie-point: background - like other varieties with the corresponding color marks. The mask is black-brown, chocolate, blue, purple with spots. Spots on points are randomly distributed.
The nature of Siamese cats can hardly be called simple. They have a hot, truly oriental temperament, freedom-loving, independent. Because of their natural sensitivity, they are very vulnerable. Insults, especially in vain, remember long enough to take revenge.
Siamese are different wayward, the cat will be impossible to force to do something against her will. They are persistent and stubborn. If the pet wants something, he will definitely get his way. Animals of this breed always have their own opinion, which is defended with the help of sharp claws, teeth and a loud voice. If the cat does not like something, she can howl and piercingly, expressing her indignation.
Deficiencies are more than offset by devotion, intelligence, sociability. Abroad, the character of the Siamese is called "doglike." Animals are very attached to the owner, choosing one of the family members. In relationships, they show tenderness, they can be very affectionate. They always feel the mood of the owner, able to empathize. They need constant care, confirmation that they are loved. From lack of attention, they become lethargic, apathetic, and may become depressed. Cases of death, mental disorder in Siamese cats who have lost their owner have been recorded.
The mind plays a special role in behavior. Siamese organized, collected, independent. They have a well-developed intellect, they understand certain words and constantly “talk” themselves: they accompany actions, voice requests. Perfectly amenable to learning, quickly learn to walk on a harness (leash). Moreover, they are very fond of long walks, they are travelers by nature (so you should make sure that the cat does not jump out of the open window or door). Pet can be taught various tricks, if he does not mind, and classes will be perceived as a sign of attention of the owner.
Outsiders Siamese do not favor, are indifferent, and when trying to establish tactile contact may show aggression. They behave unpredictably with other animals, as they are rather jealous, however, they feel fine in the society of their relatives Siams are distinguished by mobility, they are energetic and restless, they can rush around the house for hours.
Siamese cats have short hair, without undercoat, so keep them warm. Drafts in the house should not be. If the room is cool, warm the place of rest. Siamese - very clean animals, take care of themselves independently. It is enough to control the state of appearance, only occasionally interfering with the process.
Combing with a comb with frequent teeth (not sharp) - once a week. You can simply stroke the Siam with wet hands, then wash the sticky hairs off them. To add shine, use a piece of suede. Wool on the ears occasionally clean velvet.
Bathing - only with strong pollution or before the exhibition. Frequent contact with detergents can cause baldness. For the procedure, use a special shampoo. Water should be warm (temperature not lower than 38-40 o C). After bathing, the cat should be warm.
Cleaning - daily. Careful washing - 1 p. in 2 weeks Do not use detergents that have a pungent odor.
Wash with hot water immediately after meals. Bowls for dry food and water should be washed daily. Clean the food left on the floor, wash the feeding place. Siamese are very clean, they do not like unpleasant odors.
High-quality industrial mixes (Premium, Super Premium, Medium), dry, wet, in the form of “snacks”. The following brands will suit: Innova Evo, Grandorf, Iams, Orijen, Hills, Acana, etc. (sold in specialized stores). Choose food, considering:
- physiological condition.
During the whole life it is better not to change the brand. In 1 step, give only dry or only wet food. The animal must have free access to water.
In the diet of a Siamese kitten include:
- boiled meat (chicken, beef),
- sea fish without bones, in boiled form (1-2 p. per week),
- baby food (meat, meat and vegetable purees),
- fermented milk non-fatty products
- egg yolk (up to 2 p. per week).
Looking for vegetables (ground or finely chopped), greens. Pre-mix them with boiled meat, fish (in a ratio of 1: 2) to obtain a mushy mass. You can add bone meal to the feed (source of calcium), give special additives. Recommendations are given for 10-12 week-old kittens (as a rule, at this age they are taken away from the mother).
Siamese are fickle in taste, food preferences can cause confusion. Animals can eat fruits, mushrooms, nuts ... However, the basis of the diet should be:
- Raw meat and offal. Remove films, bones. In order to prevent helminth infection, pre-freeze the meat during the day. It can be cut into slices, then frozen, and put out of the freezer before feeding.
- Low-fat, sea fish in boiled form (fillet of tuna, navaga, cod, flounder, etc.). River fish can not be given, it contains thiaminase - an enzyme that destroys vitamins of group B. In addition, feeding the product significantly increases the risk of infection with helminths.
- Dairy products (cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc.). Fulfill the need for calcium.
- Egg yolks, beef liver (no more than 2 p. In 1 week.). Contain vitamin A.
- Porridge, vegetables, greens (mixed with fish, meat) - the so-called "ballast". They improve peristalsis, help to release the intestines. Oat, rice, corn, barley will be suitable from cereals. Porridge boiled on water.
- Viamine-mineral supplements (after consultation with a veterinarian).
Note that the wool darkens from the excess meat in the diet. Prohibited:
- whole milk,
- chicken bones, fish,
- fatty meat (pork, duck),
Try to feed your pet at the same time, reducing the frequency of feeding from 6 (for the age of 3 months) to 2 times a day (starting from the age of 9 months). Food should be at room temperature. Remove leftovers for half an hour after feeding.
Health, propensity to diseases
- Amyloidosis of the liver, kidneys. Причиной является нарушение белкового обмена, что приводит к хронической недостаточности органов. Основные симптомы: животное быстро теряет вес, поражённые органы увеличены.Treatment, prevention does not exist.
- Dilated cardiomyopathy. Characterized by the expansion of the inner chambers of the heart. Leads to heart failure. Manifested by respiratory rhythm disorders (accelerated), lethargy, poor appetite, vomiting. Treatment is medication, if the drugs are chosen correctly, sick animals will be able to live for several years.
- Glaucoma. Associated with increased pressure inside the eyes. Manifested by reddening of blood vessels, corneal clouding, pain in the eyes. Eyeballs may increase in size. Consequences: retinal atrophy, blindness. Treatment: use of antiglaucoma drops.
- Congenital strabismus It is characterized by a violation of three-dimensional vision due to defects in the development of the eyeball. It is important to find out if there are any serious reasons (encephalitis, meningitis, inflammation of the middle ear, the muscles of the eyeball). If they are absent, strabismus does not eliminate, as this will worsen the adaptability of the pet to the features of the body.
- Hyperthyroidism is a dysfunction of the thyroid gland. Manifested by weight loss with increased appetite. Other symptoms: increased thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, shortness of breath. Hyperthyroidism is dangerous by the development of complications (for example, cardiovascular pathologies). Treatment: administration of antithyroid drugs, surgical removal of the thyroid gland.
Choosing a kitten, content, education
Purebred kittens are bought at the exhibition, in the nursery, pet shop. In the market, on the ads are sometimes sold cats, similar in color to the Siamese. It should be borne in mind that the characteristic color is not yet a sign of the breed. Before buying, it is advisable to examine the parents of the baby, paying attention to the appearance, behavior.
If you need a Siamese to participate in exhibitions, choose a kitten of a show class that meets the standards of the breed. They are expensive. Prices for breeding animals will be lower. The category includes individuals for breeding, with small deviations from the standards.
Pet-class kittens are relatively inexpensive. Because of the disqualifying faults, they cannot take part in exhibitions, in breeding. Pay attention to the appearance:
- should not bulge vertebrae, ribs (a sign of exhaustion),
- no tumors, cones (symptoms of cardiovascular, oncological diseases, the presence of parasites),
- no skin damage, bald patches,
- no discharge from the ears, eyes, nose, anus,
- no gait disturbances,
- the coat is shiny, smooth,
- the eyes are clean, the teeth are even white, the gums are pale pink,
- the kitten is mobile, active, friendly.
It is not recommended to choose a child who shows aggression (scratched, bites, hisses) or, on the contrary, indecisive, fearful. In the future, there will be problems with taming.
Features of education
At first, do not leave the kitten alone for a long time, as it adapts faster to the house, the owner. Give your pet plenty of time. Note that at the age of 2-5 months. animals actively develop brain areas responsible for mental development, incl. for social behavior.
How to behave in relation to the Siamese: respectful, exercise patience, perseverance, feel the mood of the animal. The only method of influence on the psyche is caress, physical punishment is excluded.
The kitten will quickly get used to its name, the routine in the house. He should be friendly and calm. So that during the care procedures the kitten does not show aggression, accustom him to touch from the first days of life in the house. Take the baby in your arms, stroke your hair, and speak kindly. The process may take several weeks.
To teach your pet to claw and tray is not difficult. Siamese are not bad trainable, they can be taught:
- walk on a harness
- give paw
- perform the commands “sit”, “lie down”, etc.,
- bring items
- jump over the barrier, etc.
A kitten should have toys: ping-pong balls, thread spools, a regular sock stuffed with rags and rolled into a ball.
Siamese are prone to destructive behavior, difficult to influence. Just do not leave clothes, any other items within the reach of the animal. One of the possible causes of aggression - lack of attention, you need to regularly communicate, play with your pet. The optimal solution to the problem - the content of 2 cats.
And a little about the secrets.
The story of one of our readers Irina Volodina:
My eyes were especially frustrating, surrounded by large wrinkles plus dark circles and swelling. How to remove wrinkles and bags under the eyes completely? How to cope with swelling and redness? But nothing is so old or young man as his eyes.
But how to rejuvenate them? Plastic surgery? I found out - no less than 5 thousand dollars. Hardware procedures - photorejuvenation, gas-liquid pilling, radio lifting, laser facelift? Slightly more accessible - the course is 1.5-2 thousand dollars. And when to find all this time? Yes, and still expensive. Especially now. Therefore, for myself, I chose another way.
The elongated perfectly proportional body is thin, but unusually strong, muscular. The head has the appearance of an inverted triangle with a pronounced dark mask and black ears, planted on a long neck.
A particular delight is caused by the bottomless blue, slightly slanted, as in a true Eastern inhabitant, eyes of an almond-shaped cut. By the way, the breed is characterized by a vice - squint: in this way, cats try to correct inborn double vision.
Of interest is also the color: the main cream color on the legs, ears and tail turns into chocolate. Unusual staining is a result of uneven production of melanin, depending on body temperature: the colder the skin, the lighter the coat.
Newborn kittens are born completely white, as they grow older, a characteristic color-point appears. With age, the contrast decreases, older cats and cats are much darker than young animals.
Siamese - short-haired pets without undercoat, wool smooth and silky, the presence of spots is not allowed.
Siamese cats color
It is time to talk about the rich palette of colors of Thai cats. This type of color, as in some other breeds, has the term "point". Depending on the color of the markings are distinguished:
- blue point - blue
- power point - dark brown,
- light point - purple,
- chocolate point - chocolate,
- red point - red,
- tabby point - striped or tiger and others.
American felinologists recognize only the first four colors from this list, and prefer to attribute other similar cats to completely different eastern colors.
The Europeans, in particular the British, in the Thai breed include 18 shades, including the main American 4 colors.
Siamese cat character
For the Siamese long entrenched title is not the most good-natured creatures, capable in case of resentment brutally avenge his opponent. In fact, this statement is far from the truth. Perhaps the myth has arisen because of the exaggerated sense of independence of Thai cats: to force them to do something against their will is rather difficult.
Indeed, cats are characteristic, but not aggressive. In Europe, Thais are often called the cat-dog, which is explained by the devotion of a pet to one owner, regardless of the number of family members. By the way, this fact must be taken into account when choosing a breed - a pet needs constant communication, and from long loneliness he falls into depression, even emotional distress.
Siamese cats are very inquisitive and, with due patience of the owner, they are well trained in funny tricks. Curiosity manifests itself literally in everything - kids will be happy to inspect every corner in the house.
Do not take away the playfulness of this breed: with pleasure they chase along the floor any trifle that fell into their way. They actively take part in all masterful undertakings: whether it be cooking food or cleaning an apartment, while necessarily trying to dictate their rules.
Quickly adapt to new conditions, easily transfer the move. They have a strongly developed sense of intuition - they literally foresee the future, which allows them to get out of the dry from rather difficult situations.
Siam and man
Representatives of the breed respond well to the name, quickly get used to the general mode of the day, while not fools to break it for the sake of their own entertainment.
Again: the Siamese cat recognizes one owner, it will not necessarily be the one who feeds or cares for the animals. For his favorite pet has the most tender feelings and devotion, it is hard for him to be separated from him. However, the cat does not consider the owner as an authority, and in the event of an oversight or betrayal, he will easily turn away from his beloved and respected friend.
Pretty talkative creatures, any action is accompanied by sound design, while the mood purrs can be identified by voice. A shout or an innocent clap will be answered with grievance, which is literally written on the face. For the same actions take revenge at an opportunity.
Many are concerned about the question of how Thai cats treat children? So, in a house with crawling babies, Siamese cats have no place. These pets are not suitable for the role of a plush toy, in the case of careless handling and may scratch. Also, do not start other animals: Siamese are very jealous and are not going to endure a competitor on their territory.
It is impossible to measure all Siameses with one ruler. Each cat is an individual with its cockroaches: a small furious predator and an apathetic creature can grow from the same litter. In many ways, the character will depend on the education of the person.
Siamese cat: care features
The breed is quite unpretentious and very easy to care for and maintain. To make the wool soft and silky will not need any extras. It is enough to stroke a pet with a wet palm every few days: all the fallen hairs stick to the hand, all that remains is to wash the hands. Periodically, the pet is bathed, but do not do it too often: excessive contact with detergents will spoil the quality of wool and lead to baldness.
The rest of the hygienic procedures: brushing the teeth, ears, clipping claws - do not differ at all from those of other breeds of cats. It may take more time to teach Siam, but this is a matter of education.
Breed diseases and defects
One vice has already been mentioned earlier in this article - strabismus. Such kittens are born quite often. By the way, this defect has absolutely no effect on the quality of life, but you will have to forget about prizes at exhibitions. In rare cases, by the year the eyes may assume a normal position, and everyone will soon forget about the lack of children.
The second is not the rarest and most dangerous vice - the “broken” tail. Previously, the presence of nodes was considered a characteristic feature of the Thais, but today it is a reason for disqualification from exhibition competitions. A legend is connected with the defect: the eastern princess tied the jewels on the tail of her beloved pet, protecting them from theft, which led to the appearance of an unusual form of the main attribute of cat pride.
Of the most common diseases worth noting problems with the bronchi - Siamese kittens should always be dry and warm. Healthy pets have a clear look and a slightly wet nose, the presence of outflows, the appearance of wheezing indicates the onset of the disease. Genetic diseases include heart, kidney, and hernia defects. More often than in other breeds, breast cancer occurs, which can be avoided by early castration of females.
Despite the presence of breed defects, Siamese cats with full confidence belong to long-livers - with good care, proper feeding, they are quite able to celebrate the twentieth birthday.
Here is what they say about the Siamese cats in the program “Feline Alphabet” (TVmir channel):
Thanks for the subscription, check your mailbox: you should receive a letter asking you to confirm the subscription
Features of the Siamese breed
Representatives of this cat breed are similar to the Orientals and Thais. They do not like strangers, tense psychological situation, frequent scandals and screams in the house. They do not get along well with other animals brought into the apartment.
To express their needs and feelings they use all sorts of "wheezing" guttural sounds, and not just meowing. Siamese cats adapt well, love to play, show curiosity, and they have a very developed intuition. As for appearance, the breed has its own characteristics:
- Siamese are considered long-lived cats. In good conditions and with proper care, they live for about 20-25 years. There are cats who have turned 35-38 years old.
- Wool Siamese cats looks well-groomed and beautiful. She is somewhat short and glistens in the sun. Does not have undercoat and shine tightly to the pet's body.
- Middle-aged siamese body is muscular and slim. It is quite proportional. Siamese cat grows 3-5 kg. It looks majestic, elegant and graceful.
- Coat color Siamese varied. Not every subspecies has characteristic points - marks on paws, ears, tail and on the muzzle. These spots are somewhat darker than the color of the rest of the coat. This contrast is associated with different temperature variations. The cat's body is lighter where less energy is produced and darker - where it is more. As a result, coat color may vary. It darkens if it is cool to the four-legged friend, and it brightens if it has become hot.
- Paws of Siamese lovers are long and slender. Hind feet slightly longer than the front. Siamese tail pointed like a sharp awl. There is even a legend that a certain Thai princess put her rings on the tail of her beloved cat.
- The eyes of the Oriental fluffy almond-shaped pets, though not quite wide. The color of the iris is green or blue. Some pets have noticeable some eyes regarding the nose.
- Siamese have somewhat protruding ears. For a relatively small muzzle, they have rather wide and large ears. At the base they are wide and pointed at the ends, resemble a triangle. Slightly divorced in different directions.
- The neck and head of the Siamese are long. On the narrow muzzle stands a straight nose. Perfectly pronounced and jaw. In the area of the eyebrows are visible small bulges. And the rest of the forehead is quite flat. If you draw a line between the ends of the ears and the cat nose, you get a triangle.
Siamese cats love to hunt. They know how to catch mice and other small rodents, walking outside on a leash. Friendly communicate with households. They are easy to train. They are mobile and energetic, like active games. Do not require special care and well monitor their own cleanliness.
Types of colors Siamese cats
Those who are professionally engaged in breeding Siamese breed, knows that it has up to 20 colors of wool. The most common are:
- Tortie-point: the spots are arranged chaotically, the main shade of wool is purple, bluish, chocolate, black-brown,
- Red-point: the base is bright golden or white. Spots of reddish tint. There are stripes on the tail, legs, head. Apricot or golden-reddish paws,
- Lilac point: the spots on the body of cats are pinkish with overflow, light gray, and the main coat is whitish or cream,
- Tabby point: cat hair has pale shades, stripes are found on the head and tail,
- Blue point: there are bluish marks on the snow-white fur
- Chocolate point: cocoa or coffee speck spots, egg white color cat torso main background,
- Seal-point: darkish spots (black-brownish or light brownish) are found on creamy soft coat.
In America, officially recognized several shades of wool: chocolate, forces, blue, lilac. In Russia and the countries of Europe 18 colors are recognized. In a thoroughbred Siamese cat, points must be evenly dyed.
Representatives of Siamese cats with white paws or spots, a bend of a tail or a different eye color, pathological bite and number of fingers are considered to be defective and unsuitable for professional breeding.
How to choose a purebred kitten
A purebred Siamese pet can be found in a pet store, nursery, breeders or at an exhibition. Before purchasing, you need to look at the parents of the baby. Kittens of the show class meeting all breed standards will cost dearly. Animals with small deviations from the standard are sold somewhat cheaper.
Defective kittens that are not involved in breeding and exhibitions are inexpensive. This does not mean that they are sick animals. They should not have bald patches, protruding ribs and vertebrae, skin lesions, staggering gait, secretions from the priests, nose, eyes, ears.
A healthy pet's coat is smooth and shiny. He should not show aggression, bite and scratch a person, but he should not be overly shy and shy.
Proper care of a Siamese cat
Siamese cats love heat very much. Their coat is quite thin, and the kotofey quickly freeze.
And you need a toilet, a comfortable place to rest, food bowls, scratching posts and toys:
- Bowls after a meal immediately rinsed with hot water. Water and dry food are changed daily. Food that fell on the floor is immediately removed. Clean Siamese will not eat food, if around the bowl is not cleaned, there are extra repulsive odors.
- Cat toilet change daily. Wash the tray thoroughly with soap once a week. Use neutral baby soap, and not chemicals for dishes or floor.
- The cat's eyes are washed with warm water once a week.You can use not boiled plain water, but strong tea brew or decoction of chamomile. They are moistened with a cotton swab. If the eyes began to fester strongly and tear, the pet should be urgently attributed to the veterinarian.
- It is enough to look after the ears of a Siamese cat once a week. They are wiped with a cotton swab dipped in liquid petrolatum. If the ears become crusted, discharge, unpleasant smell, the cat constantly scratches them - these are real reasons for referring to a specialist.
- Siamese cats themselves are watching their claws and at times they grind off their claws. If they are not in the house, and the cat does not walk on the street, she will have to use home furniture. The owner himself can shorten the claws of a pet using a file. This should be done carefully so as not to cause bleeding and not damage the nerve endings of the skin on the paws.
- Once a week, the owners brush their teeth with a special toothpaste bought at the pet store. Separate foods can also clean the teeth, especially dense vegetables. To remove the accumulated tartar, you need to turn to the veterinary clinic.
- Once a week, the fur of a furry pet should be combed out with a cat's comb. Sometimes it is enough to stroke the cat with wet fingers and then wash your hands. Some breeders wipe their ears with a piece of velvet cloth.
If the pet is very dirty on the street, it can be washed in warm water. Pets, not walking on the street, monitor the purity of their wool on their own. They should not be often bought and combed. Hypothermia of the pet should be avoided. To do this, put additional sources of heating - batteries and radiators, if the apartment is not warm enough in the winter.
Tendency to diseases, breed defects
Many Siamese have eye problems. They mow them by nature. This is due to genetic failure. Whiptail can have atypical kinks, hooks, knots. It is also a negative hereditary pathology, which is not harmful to health.
Siamese cats are prone to allergic reactions that are provoked by different foods and household chemicals in the house. They are diagnosed illnesses of the respiratory system of viral origin, there are failures in the work of the inner ear. In kittens, coordination of movement is disturbed, the head collapses on one side, failures occur in the vestibular apparatus.
Cats after severe stress can start to go badly bald. If the pet is exposed to a long relationship for a long time, it becomes depressed, stops eating and eventually dies. Siamese breed is also susceptible to intestinal disorders, tumor processes, asthma.
Their skin often reacts to tobacco smoke, house dust, and parasite bites. Inflammation begins, which can be cured only by an experienced doctor.