Often you can meet four-legged pets, funny lacquered green grass on the street. Many owners with affection watching this picture, but do not understand why the pet is. All come to the conclusion that dogs eat grass due to lack of mineral or vitamin complex, as well as dehydration. Let's figure out what's what, select the main thing.
The reasons why the dog eats grass
- The interesting thing is that not only dogs enjoy grass. Such habits are characteristic of cats, rodents, birds. Earlier it was said that the owners tend to believe that there is a shortage of useful substances. Some believe that a dog eats plants in order to eliminate the unpleasant smell from the mouth or to treat a disease.
- Veterinarians, along with zoologists, put forward their theories and with doubt refer to similar arguments of the owners. You must admit that it is difficult to imagine that dogs do not like their breath smell. It is even more naive to believe that the animal is convinced of the presence of any disease in itself, therefore it is trying to recover.
- However, with regard to the vitamin-mineral complex, the body does not receive the substance in full, therefore it sends a signal to the brain. The dog tries to fill the deficit by chewing the grass, but its gastrointestinal tract is not adapted to the absorption of such food (certain enzymes are missing).
- When ingested into the esophagus "ribs" herbs begin to irritate the walls of internal organs. The stomach and intestines are reduced, resulting in stagnation, food ceases to rot in the intestines. Also, grass increases the flow of bile into the ducts.
Is eating a dog good or bad?
- We have already figured out that the pet is chewing on the grass, because he has discomfort in the abdominal cavity. That is, there are deviations in the gastrointestinal tract.
- If the day before you, guests or children fed the dog with sweets, sausage, muffin, etc., which led to constipation / diarrhea, you need to come from the circumstances. If gastrointestinal disorders are single, there is no reason to worry.
- But in cases where an animal is chewing grass 3-5 times a week, it is advisable to be examined. It is possible that you have compiled a pet incorrect diet.
Disease as the cause
- If the dog does not have a balanced diet, then soon a large amount of mucus begins to accumulate in the animal's stomach. If a pet has a predominantly boiled or fried food, without adding fiber or vegetables, it will often vomit.
- In the body of the animal there is a copious bile flow. The level of acidity in the stomach increases dramatically. As a result, the dog begins to develop serious pathology. If you suddenly notice that the pet often eats grass, and thereby provokes vomiting in itself, it must be taken to a veterinarian.
- Also, it would not be superfluous to visit a specialist if the dog has a dull coat, lethargy, lethargy, and loose stools. In addition, there may be a change in body temperature, blood admixture during vomiting. When the dog feels bad, she will have a dry nose and yellowness of the mucous membranes of the mouth and eyes.
- Such signs can signal the presence of a serious infection, poisoning or gastritis. At the first opportunity, the animal must be sent for examination to a professional clinic. The reason may lie in a chronic disease or in a poor diet.
- If you do not observe anything like this, and the dog behaves quite normally, you can give your pet 10 ml. enterosgel or tablet of activated carbon. Remedies will help get rid of toxic substances that are present in the body.
- An animal can eat grass out of curiosity. At the same time the dog will remain cheerful, active and energetic. He will have a good appetite and normal body temperature.
When grass can be dangerous
Often, pets eat green grass just because they like it. At the same time the animal can remain absolutely healthy. Keep track of the general condition of the dog. If you feel unwell, immediately visit a veterinary clinic.
Digestion in dogs. Why do we need grass?
Indeed, the ancestors of dogs are meat eaters. Their digestive tract is adapted for digesting meat food, but along with it dogs often get wool, feathers, and bone residues that could not be digested into the stomach of a dog. Some of these items self-irritate the dog's stomach, causing vomiting, and thus are removed from it, and some are able to stay there for a long time. Feathers and bristles are annoying.
Finding non-digestible residues in the dog's stomach disrupts normal digestion, and can also cause damage to the mucous membranes. Therefore, for dogs it is useful to periodically regurgitate, getting rid of them. Here lies the answer to the question of why dogs eat grass. Grass is needed as a means to induce vomiting. And that is why dogs choose wheat grass - it is tough and perfectly performs its main function - irritation of the walls of the digestive tract and stimulation of the gag reflex.
Gag reflex - protection of dog life
Gag reflex - a protective reaction of the body to hit the stomach, not only solid foreign bodies. It is essentially designed to quickly remove from the digestive system of any potentially hazardous substances - including poisons. Therefore, it is very important for the dog, and the drugs that quench it are used for dogs only as a last resort - for exhausting vomiting.
The main reason why a dog eats grass and burps is the presence of non-digestible objects in its stomach, from which it is necessary to get rid of. Surprisingly, the dog is able to replace the grass with other options available for eating - for example, plastic bags or coarse threads. However, all substitutes are very dangerous for your pet's stomach, because they can cause bloat or other mechanical damage to the intestines. Therefore, it is better to let the dog find herbs on its own, rather than wait until it begins to look for a way to solve the problem in ways.
Medicinal herbs in the dog's diet - are all natural skills lost?
Some breeds of dogs, not spoiled by a long factory breeding, know a lot about herbal medicine. Such individuals are found among the gilding wolfhounds, Yakut huskies, working Samoyeds, Malamutes and other breeds. They find valerian roots, dig up and eat Jerusalem artichoke, pick clover heads and eat them. These dogs deliberately avoid poisonous plants, identifying them by smell. They also know a lot about the fruits of trees, berries and nuts - the genes of free ancestors tell them useful plants.
However, while walking your puppy you should know that there are also poisonous plants that should not fall into his mouth. These are all types of buttercups: kalyuzhnitsa, anemone, crow's feet, stonecrop. And from houseplants: Monsters, Dieffenbachia, oleanders. Eating these plants can also cause vomiting in a puppy, however, such vomiting is a symptom of poisoning and is not associated with cleaning the stomach and intestines. Why young dogs eat grass that is harmful to their health is not an easy question. Most likely the usual puppy curiosity works.
Eat or just break off? Game behavior
Not always destroyed plants are eaten by dogs. So before you ask why the dog eats grass, make sure that the torn tops are not lying around. Often, dogs, having fun, tear off the tops of tulips and daffodils, break ornamental shrubs with their paws, dig out what the owners have recently planted, and gnaw.
This is the case when the dog itself is looking for entertainment, and the plants replace toys for it. The habit of destroying a landing is often the cause of a summer dog in an aviary or in a fenced area. Accidentally hitting the coveted territory, the dog selflessly drags carrots from baskets, cuts off tomatoes and valerian heads, gnaws zucchini. This case, strictly speaking, does not quite relate to the answer to the question of why the dog eats grass, but it is important to understand that in this case your pet has a different motivation.
Dog and grass - we understand the reasons for eating and killing plants
So, there are several reasons why a dog eats grass.
- Cleaning procedures for the digestive tract. In this case, the vomiting that evacuates undigested residues from your dog's duodenum is followed by eating hard grass or branches.
- The need for medicinal properties of plants. It is characteristic for dogs of national selection. Usually not accompanied by vomiting.
- Game behavior. More common in puppies and young dogs. May be associated with a risk of poisoning. The owners know better the poisonous plants of the region and do not allow the dog to eat them for a walk.
Norm or pathology?
So, the dog is chewing grass because it has something wrong with the stomach or intestines. Maybe the day before the guests came to you and fed the dog with sausage, or the children gave the pet a couple of candies. Maybe the bully pulled something from a bucket or picked up on the street. And the next day, the dog eats grass and burps, suffers from vomiting and / or diarrhea. Run to the doctor?
Again, in the circumstances. If the dog is vomited or weakened once, and otherwise everything is unchanged - active, good appetite, temperature is normal, good reactions, etc. - give your pet a tablet of coal or a spoon of enterosgel. These products safely bind toxins and gently remove them from the body. But if the dog constantly, several times a week, eats grass, be sure to get tested. Perhaps the fault is the wrong diet. Maybe it's a chronic illness, which is not yet aggravated by overt symptoms.
What kind of grass can dogs eat?
Dogs choose grass for taste, and not for the healing properties of a particular plant. Fortunately, poisonous herbs rarely grow in cities, from this side the danger is minimal. But in the rain, the earth and the air of the city are full of heavy metals, toxins and other nastiness, which the pet swallows, savoring the greenfin. Grass may be poisoned by chemicals. And also, if a dog eats grass on the street, it can pick up any infection (a sick cat has slept on the lawn, a dog has peeed) or swallow helminth eggs. Therefore, you can allow your pet to chew grass only in the countryside, and only if the dog is vaccinated.
Despite the predatory past, many dogs love to chew grass just for the sake of the taste of the grass, and not to clean the stomach or intestines. Offer gourmet weed grown at home - clean and safe. For example, oats, wheat or wheatgrass already mentioned, the seeds of which can be collected with a reserve for the winter right in your own yard:
Why do dogs eat grass
Eating grass with animals and following vomiting Signals that the pet has:
- Gastric disorders. Vomiting helps to remove harmful substances and bad products from the body.
- Unbalanced diet, in which an acute shortage of vitamin and mineral substances is felt. Introduction to the diet of vitamin, raw vegetables and fruits often solve this problem.
- The dog cleans the stomach, getting rid of the wool that got into it when washing.
- Pet likes the taste of young succulent plants (in this case, vomiting is not always present).
- The animal prefers a particular species. Perhaps the disease has other roots. The type of grass and its properties will help to clarify the diagnosis.
- With a sedentary lifestyle, grass helps to speed up the passage of food through the digestive tract. With such a cleansing method, intestinal peristalsis is accelerated, while the plants leave it almost immediately undigested.
What zoologists say about grass eating by dogs
Dogs need enzymes and microorganismsthat is not in the fully digested grass, which predators in nature get when they eat the rumen with the contents of the killed herbivore. Home pets due to other lifestyles are deprived of this opportunity, although they, as members of the family of predators, need roughage of plant origin. Therefore, they are nibbling grass growing in places of walking, from which, however, nothing useful is gained.
The fact is that the gastrointestinal tract of dogs due to the lack of the necessary enzymes cannot digest fresh greens and as a result, get vitamins.
In villages and villages, animals can extract the desired enzyme from cow flat cakes or horse apples. If you caught a pet behind this unattractive exercise for a person, review the dog's diet.
Scientists could not stay away
Why dogs eat grass worries not only citizens. Scientists conducted experiments with interest, observing animals in everyday life and laboratories. At different times a number of studies were conductedwhich revealed that:
- About 22% of cases of eating grass ends with vomiting, from which rotting food and excess bile come out of the stomach. For cleaning dogs choose hard plants (thistle, wheatgrass, bluegrass, other cereals). The bristles of this herb irritate the walls of the stomach, which leads to vomiting.
- Moisture and fiber, abundant in plants when ingested, help animals cope with constipation, as they dilute fecal deposits. Initially, the study was to prove the opposite, that the grass strengthens loose stools.
- It has also been proven that many dogs just like to eat greens, such as young nettles, carrots, cabbage and lettuce leaves, calendula flowers and others.
What you need to pay attention
With constant, systematic vomiting after eating plants from the lawn, especially if the animal has a fever, veterinarian visit required
You should not delay with a visit to the veterinary clinic if under the same conditions the dog looks tired, refuses to eat, moves sparingly. Dull eyes and six scraps when it comes to greens are also an alarming symptom, especially if blood is present in vomiting.
What kind of plants is it. It is necessary to monitor the preventive treatment of grass in the area where the dog walks. Vegetation eaten from the lawn, generously treated with herbicides and chemicals, will add problems to both the pet and the owner, at best, in the worst case it can be fatal. It is not necessary to allow the dog to eat grass growing along the roads, therefore, environmentally unsafe.
After walking on the grass animal needs careful inspection. Picked parasites (helminth eggs) can cause serious illness. Often, incurable processes in the body of an animal begin after the bite of an infected tick.
I want some weed, but nowhere to take
Modern cities are not buried in verdure, as it was 100 years ago. Finding a good lawn is problematic, and it’s not always possible to go with a pet to the city. In such situations come to the rescue departments with pet supplies. They feature a wide range of grass seed for cats.
Experienced consultants will give an opinion on why dogs eat grass and help you find seeds. In two weeks the greens sown in the flowerpot will be able to diversify the dog's diet.
Questions about the environmental component disappear. The owners control the process, starting with the stage of selection of the soil and ending with the addition to food. A pet will have tasty fresh grass all year round.
Do not be afraid dog eating grass. Even in ancient times, it was noticed that the four-legged wards, who became sluggish, became ill with unknown ailments, disappeared for several days. After some time, the animals returned home thin, but healthy.
Modern dogs, especially breeds bred artificially, are unlikely to be able to restore health in this way. But the instinct, laid down by nature, pushes them in the right direction. At this stage, it is important for the owner not to look for the reasons why the dog eats plants, but to support it so that it recovers faster.
The main reasons why a dog eats grass
1. After eating the grass, the dog is able to independently provoke a gag reflex. Many animals are not distinguished by high intelligibility, and during the game they are able to swallow various objects, parts of toys. Которые впоследствии не перевариваются, остаются в желудке, и в совокупности с пищей, вызывают процессы гниения. Также во время умывания шкуры с помощью языка, большое количество шерсти оседает в желудке животного.Cats can get rid of hairballs with vomiting, and dogs can’t do this. Therefore, the dog eats grass to clean the stomach.
If you closely monitor the behavior of the dog during a walk, then you will notice that pets prefer one type of vegetation. This is a wild-growing cereal plant with rough long leaves - wheat grass. This plant contributes to the removal of excess bile, and improves digestion. What many predators enjoy, including dogs.
When grass enters the esophagus and stomach, sharp and rough leaves of the plant act as an irritant. As a result, the vomiting reflex develops, and the animal releases the stomach from undigested rotting masses. Thus, the animal independently cleans the body with the help of grass. According to numerous researches of scientists after the use of vegetation by dogs, approximately in 20% of cases, the stomach is cleared by vomiting.
2. The animal absorbs greens to improve intestinal motility. If you have an abnormal, unbalanced diet and an inactive lifestyle, your dog may have difficulty emptying the intestines. The grass eaten contains a large amount of moisture and fiber, as a result of which the stool is liquefied. Grass contributes to a more complete and quick emptying of the large intestine. At the same time the grass comes out practically in not processed look.
3. The dog uses grass from personal taste preferences. Dogs are very intelligent and original animals. Some individuals adore raw vegetables, fruits, and some people enjoy nibbling carrots, cabbages, young nettle leaves and other shrubs. In the absence of anxiety symptoms indicating a disease of the dog, eating green should not cause panic.
When should the alarm be sounded?
All owners of four-legged friends need to control what grass dogs eat. In the case when the place of walking is located near motor roads, the probability of poisoning the pet with toxic substances from exhaust gases is high. There is also the threat to stumble upon a beautiful lawn that has been sanitized by parasites. Pet use of grass, irrigated with chemicals, can provoke serious animal intoxication, and even death of the pet.
This unpleasant situation can easily happen on your own personal plot. When fertilizing plants, spraying poisonous substances against pests, there is a possibility of their subsequent use by the dog in food. It is recommended to carefully monitor what kind of grass the dog eats. The best option is not to allow the dog to flower beds and beds. So the pet will remain healthy and your beds will not be affected.
If you notice regular cases of vomiting after eating grass to animals, while the dog looks sluggish and inactive, then this is a serious reason to go to a veterinary clinic. A pet needs immediate assistance in the presence of blood in the vomit or the presence of worms, with the concomitant refusal of feeding. This can be a signal of a serious malfunction of the digestive tract.
How to protect the animal
Regardless of why the dog eats grass, the fact remains the same. In order for your pet to enjoy plenty of fresh, safe vegetation, it makes sense at home to grow a small amount of greenery. Various cereal crops are optimal for an animal: oats, wheat, barley.
Already after 2-3 weeks after landing, you can offer your pet absolutely safe greens. It is possible to feed the dog with already picked up greens, or provide the laurels of the getter to the animal. However, you should relentlessly monitor the process of eating domestic grass, the animal can break out and turn over the container with the ground and plantings. An alternative is to purchase ready-to-eat grass. Perhaps interested in stopping the dog.
Based on the above, it becomes clear why dogs eat grass. So animals adjust the work of the digestive tract, get rid of rotting masses in the stomach. In any plant contains a certain amount of phytoncides - antibacterial components of plant origin. They help strengthen the body's defenses. Pets use greens intuitively, as their distant ancestors did in various diseases.