What is siphon? Every aquarist has heard about the need for this device, but not every beginner knows what it is for. Everything is very simple. Siphon cleans the bottom, sucking sludge, food debris, fish excrement and other debris. To monitor the purity of the soil is as important as the water. And you need to siphon an aquarium of any size, even nano.
What are the siphons
With the fact that such a siphon, we figured out a little, now let's talk about its types and principles of operation. Such devices are mechanical and electrical.
The first type includes a siphon with a check valve. Typically, these cleaners consist of a pear, which helps suck water, a hose and a transparent funnel (or glass). The device must be transparent to monitor the process and prevent the suction of pebbles and even small invertebrates.
A rather big minus of a mechanical device is that it requires the obligatory draining of water. Therefore, you need to make sure that its volume does not exceed 30%.
Siphon for aquarium battery is much more convenient. It does not require draining the fluid, it does not have a hose. Such a device sucks in water, which passes through a special “pocket” where trash remains and returns to the aquarium. This is a very compact siphon that does not take up much space. Usually consists of a funnel and a motor.
The main disadvantage of such devices - they can not be used at a depth of more than 0.5 meters. Otherwise, the water will fall on the battery, and the siphon will break.
How to clean the soil
After the device is selected, the next question arises - how to siphon the soil? The cleansing mechanism is the same, regardless of type and model. The siphon funnel vertically sinks to the bottom, the cleaning mechanism starts. The process must continue until the water becomes transparent. After that, the funnel moves to the next section.
Cleaning the aquarium with a siphon is not a quick task. The procedure will take at least an hour to take into account. You will have to walk all over the ground, otherwise the cleaning will not make sense. The main thing to remember is that the volume of drained water should not exceed 30% if you use a mechanical siphon for cleaning. The large funnels are easy to clean the glades and the middle of the bottom, but for the corners and decorations, you can purchase special trihedral nozzles.
The bottom on which the plants are planted is carefully cleaned, as it is very easy to damage the roots. In such cases, it is generally not recommended to use a large “glass”, but rather to acquire a special model that can be found in a pet shop. This type of aquarium siphon consists of a metal tube, the end of which is only 2 mm, and a drain hose. Also on this tube small holes are drilled to speed up the process and protect plants. This variety is suitable for all types of soil, except sand.
For draining you need to prepare a suitable container in advance. If you have a large aquarium, then it is more expedient to immediately take a long hose that can be stretched to the bath or sink. If there is a possibility that a fish can get into the device, then take a siphon for an aquarium with a filter mesh where large objects will be trapped.
After mechanically cleaning, you need to pour fresh water into the aquarium.
Experienced aquarists know how to use a siphon, but beginners often have questions and difficulties. Therefore, we give some tips on the first cleaning of the aquarium:
- The end of the hose must be lowered below the aquariums, only then will the water begin to drain.
- The lower lower the tip of the tube, the stronger the pressure will be.
- The deeper the funnel sinks, the better the bottom will be cleaned. If there are no plants on the plots, it is allowed to immerse it to the full depth of the soil.
- Too powerful device can easily suck the fish, so carefully follow the cleaning process.
- For nano aquariums sold special devices. The standard version will be too large, it is easy for them to harm the pets. If it was not possible to find a suitable unit, then you can make it yourself from a syringe and a tube from a dropper.
- When choosing a siphon, you need to consider the following points: the volume of the aquarium, the type of soil, the number of plants and scenery.
Follow these tips, and cleaning the soil in the aquarium will not be difficult for you.
The process of cleaning (siphon) aquarium soil
Cleaning the soil in the aquarium using a siphon is not recommended to be in a hurry, but you need to clean the aquarium bottom at a time. Therefore, you should try to walk through the entire area of the soil, but so that the dirty drained water is not more than 30 percent of the volume of water in the aquarium before cleaning.
Bottom order - use siphon
An indispensable tool for any aquarist - siphon for an aquarium. Maintaining cleanliness of the bottom is much more difficult than cleaning on land. Food particles, organic residues - all the garbage accumulates on the bottom, starting with time to decompose. As a result, toxic substances that poison the inhabitants of the aquarium. Putting the soil in order is just as important as replacing the water weekly.
Previously, the soil had to be cleaned by thorough washing. But this method is not only too troublesome, but also dangerous. Complete washing of the soil seriously disrupts the biological equilibrium, which over time is established in the aquarium. Moreover, the removal of silt from the bottom harms aquarium plants, for which it is a nutrient medium.
You need to clean any aquarium, be it a huge 200-liter tank or a tiny nano garden. To decide which siphon to choose, you should carefully examine the parameters of the device.
Experienced aquarists know how to use this device for cleaning, and what nuances should be taken into account. But beginners may have a number of difficulties, which, however, are easily solved.
- To the water in the cleaning process merged, you need to constantly monitor the end of the hose without a funnel. Position it correctly: below the water level in the aquarium itself.
- The lower this end of the hose is, the stronger the water pressure will be.
- For better soil cleaning, the funnel or cylinder is immersed to the full depth of the substrate, reaching the bottom. So you get rid of the smallest and most "stale" particles of dirt.
- Choosing a siphon, consider all the features of the aquarium. Your choice will depend on the volume of the container. Agree, a large and powerful electro-siphon is hardly suitable for cleaning the bottom of a nano aquarium, and too small a device will make cleaning a large aquarium a tedious and ungrateful task.
- A siphon that is too powerful for an aquarium can suck fish, so be careful with your pets.
- Standard siphons are not suitable for cleaning the substrate in nano aquariums - they are too large. In this case, special siphons are used for the nano aquarium, which are sold in pet stores. You can also make such a siphon yourself, using a syringe and a thin tube (for example, from a dropper).
Do it yourself
If you want to get rid of unnecessary spending, you can refer to the instructions for creating a homemade siphon. It is quite simple to make a siphon for an aquarium with your own hands, and such devices work just as well as their factory counterparts. Of course, it will not be possible to make a newly-built electro-siphon, but the manual model will be quite good at cleaning the ground. You will need:
- long transparent hose
- plastic bottle.
Cut the bottle in half. Half with a neck will play the role of a cylinder. The attachment is attached to the hose and ... ready! Naturally, a homemade siphon will work according to the principle of a conventional mechanical siphon, since it is quite problematic to supply it with a pear.
A do-it-yourself siphon is perfect for cleaning an aquarium, but it’s better to get a stronger and more durable option.
The aquatic environment is a complex and multifaceted system, the prosperity of which depends on maintaining order and cleanliness at the bottom. Siphon for the substrate - a necessary tool for any aquarist. Which siphon to choose, you decide. In extreme cases, it can even be done independently. It doesn't matter if you have a large aquarium or a nano tank, whether there are plants in it or not - the ground must always remain clean.
Tip 1: How to clean the soil in the aquarium
An aquarium is not only an interior decoration, pleasant emotions, beautiful fish and the pleasure of contemplation. This object requires careful and regular maintenance: water replacement, fish treatment, cleaning the filter and glasses, removal of lower algae and, of course, cleaning. ground. The latter, as the most labor-intensive process, should be given special attention. So, how to clean the soil in aquarium?
The question "How does a little girl retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months old)? "- 3 answers
1. The first few weeks after buying an aquarium, you should not agitate the soil. Water in aquarium fresh, the inhabitants only settle down. However, each feeding (and this should be done no more than once a day) should be moderate, that is, fish food should not remain at the bottom and even have time to sink to ground.
2. Further, the soil should be cleaned every month, because the particles of uneaten food and waste of the inhabitants of the aquarium are constantly falling to the bottom. If they are not removed, they can start to rot. In the process of rotting bacteria emit poisonous gas - hydrogen sulfide. The "sour" soil is very easy to determine: turn it over with your hand and smell the bubbles that have risen. If there is no smell, everything is in order. If the bubbles smell of acidic algae and rotten eggs - urgently siphon the ground.
3. For cleaning ground A special aquarium siphon should be purchased - a funnel cylinder worn on the hose. With it, it is convenient to siphon, that is, to clean the soil in any aquarium.
4. The cleaning process ground - the same process of replacing part of the water. Fish do not need to be planted. Cylinder-funnel on the siphon stick and agitate the soil to the ground, the rising grains of sand and pebbles over the course of pull and accumulated waste. Heavy soil quickly falls back to the bottom, not dragging into the siphon, but the dirt particles go through the tube into the drain. When the water at the tip of the siphon becomes clear, stick it in the next section ground. Hold it for a few seconds for every 5 cm bottom. Until it is filled with muddy water on the hose drain bucket.
5. Add fresh water to the aquarium. The first few hours after cleaning the water in aquarium may be slightly unclear. Nothing wrong with that. Be patient, the suspension will settle to the bottom, and the water will assume its usual transparent state.
6. To remove all sediment from highly contaminated ground, the pebbles must be completely removed from the aquarium by transplanting the fish into another container and pouring out all the water. This is a very time-consuming procedure and should be resorted to no more than once every 6-12 months. If you get all the soil from the bottom, rinse it under running water, rinse thoroughly, without using any detergents. Fill it with water several times and drain it. Soil can fall asleep back to the aquarium.
How to clean the aquarium - the secrets and tricks
How many articles have been written about this, how much has been said ... but still people are interested in this question. Our site also has a fairly comprehensive article that HOW TO WASH THE AQUARIUM.
In this article I would like to focus on the ways and means of cleaning the aquarium.
So, first of all the walls (glass) of the aquarium are cleaned. This action should be carried out in the event that the walls of the aquarium rummaged, for example, green dots or brown patina. To do this, you can use special magnetic scrubs or brushes for aquariums. Like these ones:
Such magnetic brushes for an aquarium, very well cope with their task -
What are the siphons?
We have already figured out what a siphon is for cleaning the aquarium; now it is necessary to discuss its types and ways of working. Such devices are available in mechanical and electrical types. The first should include a siphon, which is equipped with a check valve. These cleaners consist of pears. That she sucks water. It joins the hose and a special transparent funnel. In order to prevent the absorption of stones and fish, the device must be transparent. Mechanical devices have one drawback. It lies in the fact that it is necessary to drain the water. You should pay attention to its volume does not exceed 30%.
Siphons can be produced on batteries. They are considered more convenient. Such devices do not require draining the fluid, as there is no hose. Such a device is able to absorb water well. She passes through a special pocket where trash remains and returns to the aquarium. Siphons for aquarium on batteries do not take up much space, have a motor and a funnel. The disadvantage of this device is that the use of the device on batteries is prohibited at a depth of more than half a meter. Otherwise, water may fall on the battery compartment, respectively, the siphon will break.
How to siphon the ground?
After the person has decided on the mechanism of the device, it is necessary to understand exactly how the siphon should be. No matter which device type or model was selected - the cleaning method is the same. The funnel must be lowered vertically to the bottom, then the process itself begins. It should be continued until the water is completely transparent and without any debris. After that, the funnel should be moved to another area.
It is worth noting that cleaning the aquarium is a fairly long process. At least the procedure will take about an hour. You must walk around the ground, otherwise cleaning the aquarium does not make any sense. If a person uses a siphon for cleaning the soil of the aquarium of the mechanical type, then you need to remember the above 30%, which can not be exceeded before draining.
To clean the middle of the bottom, you can use large funnels, for the corners and decorations should use special nozzles that can be purchased separately. If plants are planted at the bottom of the aquarium, it is necessary to clean it carefully, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the roots. In such cases, professionals recommend using special models that can be bought at the pet store. This siphon has a metal tube, the end of which is only 2 millimeters. It is joined by a drain hose.
In order to speed up the process of cleaning and protect the plants, use devices with small holes. Such a device is suitable for any type of soil, except sand. In order to drain the water, it is necessary to prepare the container. If we are talking about a large aquarium, it is best to use a long hose that you can reach to the nearest sink or bathroom. If there is a risk that a fish may get into the device, a siphon with a special mesh filter should be used. It will linger all the big objects. After mechanically cleaning, fresh water is poured into the aquarium.
Professionals know how to use a siphon without any problems. But beginners have some difficulties, especially during the first use. That is why you need to pay attention to the following tips.
When a person selects a siphon, it is necessary to take into account the volume of the aquarium, what kind of soil there is, the number of decorations and plants planted. When it comes to nano aquarium, then they sell special devices. Standard should not be used, as they can harm the fish. If you could not find such a device in the store, you can use a syringe and a dropper tube.
If the device is too powerful, then it can easily suck the fish. Therefore, you need to monitor the cleaning process as much as possible. The funnel should be lowered to the maximum depth. The lower it is, the better it will be to clean the bottom. If there are no plants on the site, then you can lower the tube to the full depth of the soil. The pressure will be stronger if the tip is lowered below. You should also put the end of the hose lower than the aquarium itself, because only in this position will the water drain out.
Siphon do it yourself
The most important element is the hose. If it is assumed that the siphon will work with a 100-liter aquarium, then a tube with a diameter of 10 mm will do for it. If you use a thicker, then during cleaning, before a person has time to clean the bottom, almost all the water will pour out. In order to avoid such troubles, you need to understand how to make a siphon for the aquarium with your own hands.
For an aquarium of 50 liters, you must use a hose with a diameter of 5 mm. It is necessary to take a plastic bottle, syringes for 10 cubes, they need 2 pieces, electrical tape, a knife and a brass outlet for the hose.
You need to take a syringe, remove the needle, and remove the piston. Using a knife, you should cut off the protrusions from one of the syringes so that the tube is the result. Next, you need to take a second syringe and cut from the side where the piston entered. But in the place where the needle was, you should make a hole, the diameter of which will be 5 mm. With the help of electrical tape, you can connect the resulting tubes. Трубка, которая имеет отверстие, должна оставаться снаружи. В него следует вставить шланг. Далее нужно взять пластиковую бутылку и в крышке прорезать отверстие, которое будет диаметром 4 мм. Сюда следует вставить латунный выход. И к нему нужно присоединить еще один кусок шланга. Теперь самодельный сифон готов.
Для того чтобы он заработал, необходимо погрузить в грунт широкий конец и взять бутылку. After that, reverse thrust will appear, trash from the bottom will rise. If you do not want to use the bottle, you can take a bucket. After a little empty the aquarium, you must fill it with fresh water.
At the moment, manufacturers offer a huge range of siphons for aquariums. All of them allow you to clean the soil. There are mechanical devices and electrical siphons for a network-powered aquarium, expensive and cheap, medium and high power, as well as with additional valves and so on. That is why it will be quite difficult to understand which device to purchase. The main thing is not to rush and carefully consider your purchase.
A good German company is EHEIM. It should be noted that this professional manufacturer is known to all professional aquarists. The most popular are the siphons for the aquarium of the electric type, which run on batteries. They weigh only about 600 g and do not need additional capacity for draining. The device returns the purified water to the aquarium immediately.
Thus, you can also save on the purchase of new water. Due to the fact that the suction tube has jagged edges, the roots of aquatic plants will be saved as much as possible. Such an aquarium siphon is suitable for a container that is designed for no more than 200 liters. The height of the walls should not exceed 0.5 m.
Among the shortcomings it should be noted that the batteries are discharged rather quickly, and the cost of the device itself is high. The first drawback will disappear if you install an adapter instead of batteries, which allows you to power the device from the mains.
The German company HAGEN is one of the leaders in the production of aquarium technology. The prices of devices are so diverse that they can impress any buyer. For example, the HAGEN Marina Aqua Vac siphon for the soil of an aquarium can effectively and gently clean a vessel. However, the cost of this device is 6 thousand rubles. At the expense of an ordinary rubber pear, this company creates other models that allow saving on the siphon. Such devices cost only 600 rubles.
Known is the company "Tetra". It provides the market with siphons that have different capacities. For example, a T-50 siphon for cleaning an aquarium will clean the soil well even in a 400-liter aquarium.
But the model DC30 will be convenient only for those aquariums, the volume of which is not more than 60 liters. Of course, the cost of such devices is different, but in general it is a good and budget option, given the German quality.
Siphons are very popular among aquarium owners. They allow you to keep the container clean. This is important for the inhabitants of aquariums. You can purchase siphons at any specialty store. Fakes should be avoided so that the fish remain safe.