The Frenchman is a miniature bulldog that is only inferior in size to its larger counterparts. This is quite a popular breed, and its distribution is due to the unpretentiousness of dogs, their compact size, and most importantly - surprisingly friendly character. What should future owners know about the French bulldogs?
The origin of the breed
According to history, the name of the breed has nothing to do with its country of origin. In fact, the birthplace of the French bulldogs is England, more precisely the city of Nottingham. Initially, small bulldogs were used by workers to fight rodents in factories and other industries. The scientific and technological revolution led to the fact that many workers lost their jobs and went to another country, where workers would not have prevented - to France. Naturally, they took with them their little dogs.
And in France they gained popularity in the working and trading environment. And closer to the 20th century, small crepes began to appear in noble families and gradually joined the bohemian life. Being in 2000 on the 71st place in prevalence, today the French bulldogs have moved 50 points higher. Is this not a confirmation of their global popularity?
Description of the breed French Bulldog
The French bulldogs possess classical signs of Molossian breeds, differing only in modest dimensions. Despite its size, these are powerful dogs with a compact, square body. Growth males varies from 27 to 35 cm, weight - 9-14 kg, in females the following parameters - growth from 24 to 32 cm, weight - 8-13 kg. Dogs are active, they have developed intelligence. And another feature - expressive, intelligent eyes.
The standard describes the breed as follows:
- Like all Molossians, the "French" are large, even more massive. head with folds and wrinkles located symmetrically. Between the superciliary arches there is a pronounced groove. Occipital lump is present, but it is mild. But the transition from the frontal area to the face is clearly visible.
- In the French bulldog, the shortened maxillary and nasal bones, as well as the lobe and the back of the nose are slightly tilted back. Muzzle ends with a snub-nosed, black, broad lobe. It is worth noting that a shortened muzzle can cause certain breathing problems.
- The lips are fleshy, drooping slightly, painted black. Close in the middle and cover the dentition. The jaws are quite powerful, the lower jaws slightly forward.
- Eyes large, rounded, with a dark stroke and iris, a vivid expression.
- Small thin ears - expanded at the base, the tips are rounded. Are located high, but at a sufficient distance from each other.
- The neck is slightly short, muscular with a slight bend, the suspension is absent.
- Torso characterized by a gradual, but not too pronounced rise from the withers to the lumbar belt. All representatives of this breed have this feature.
- The back is strong, with well-developed muscles, turning into a short, convex loin and well-inclined croup.
- The breast is cylindrical, and because of the curved ribs, it looks barrel-shaped, with good depth.
- The belly is taut, without sharp lines. Tail short but successfully covering the anus. Straight, low-slung and tapered tip.
- Front limbs represented by short forearms and metacarpals, set vertically. The paws resemble the cat's appearance, as they are small, rounded in shape, with tightly closed, black claws. The back - stronger, longer and more muscular than the front. Delivered vertically due to the presence of a lift. The dog moves freely, powerfully, measuredly.
Wool and colors
The coat of the French Bulldog is short, smooth, tight to the skin, has a shine and has no undercoat. There are dogs of the following colors:
- From light fawn to red hue - with or without tigers, with or without white spots:
- tiger tone - wool can be any shade from light fawn to red with pronounced dark-colored tigers, there may be a mask on the face,
- plain color - from light fawn to red, the mask may be absent, but it relates more to the benefits, especially black,
- Color with the presence of white spots:
- tiger hair with white spots, ideal if they are located throughout the body,
- light fawn or ginger with some white spots.
Completely white individuals are found and the standard is allowed if they have a black eyelid and nose. However, they are not used for breeding, as there is a high risk of the appearance of offspring suffering from deafness.
The nature and behavior
Some traits of the character "French" inherited from their English ancestors, however, they are more mobile, open and good-natured. They are very smart, but the owners must take into account - the French bulldogs are difficult to train. No, they are quite clever and immediately understand the desire of the owner, but they do not really want to execute commands. The task of moderate difficulty will be repeated by the dog, but for this it will take 30-40 times to repeat his request-command.
The mind of these dogs has the direction not to perform service commands, but to high socialization. These pets are able to build relationships with their families, subtly capturing emotions and mood. The French Bulldog is a versatile dog that is suitable for both a large family and single people, including the elderly and those with physical disabilities.
The Frenchman is a real defender, he feels when a person is in real danger. And this despite the apparent decorativeness and modest size. This is due to their original function of the fighter crowd of large and evil rodents - rats. Pets of this breed are quite peaceful, they are distinguished by their devotion and tenderness towards their family. They are not embarrassed by the crowd of people, and to be the center of attention even impresses them.
Mentally, they are very stable, not prone to panic and are not afraid of anything. Some bulldogs are quite capricious, can be offended, but do not remember the evil and almost immediately "thaw". These dogs are excellent companions and need regular communication with the person. They are very playful, but to be at peace is not alien to them. But long loneliness is not well tolerated. Owners should take into account that such a pet will constantly demand attention, but if the owner cannot at this time practice a dog, he will not bother.
Dogs love to travel, so if there is an opportunity - do not leave the pet, but it is better to take him as a fellow traveler. He does not take the trouble and will transfer a trip to any transport. The French Bulldog does not like its own kind and is extremely negative towards cats. This is not surprising, since he himself loves affection, attention, and it is difficult for the dog to come to terms with the competition. Therefore, it is desirable that he was the only pets in the house. The only exception is if pets grow together. This dog is the best companion for games, so the French love children and are happy to frolic with them.
Upbringing and training
If you do not require something complicated from your pet, then even a child can cope with learning a bulldog. They perfectly assimilate the basic commands that are required for comfortable interaction - “sit”, “near”, etc. It is better to raise a puppy from the first days of its appearance in the house.
If the dog got into the family as an adult, then in this case he will be able to learn the basics of dressure. From the owner does not require special knowledge - it is enough to show perseverance, consistency and not give vent to the senses.
Bulldogs very quickly get used to the toilet on the street, learn that it is impossible to pick up trash and eat other people's hands. They quickly grow up, and a one-year-old pet will not be naughty, causing damage to property.
The Frenchman needs some attention and the puppy's hygienic procedures need to be taught from the first days. The coat of these dogs is easy to care for; moreover, they almost do not shed and have no specific smell. To make the wool shine, it is enough to process it 2-3 times a week with a soft-bristled massage brush. By the way, wool is the first indicator of a pet's health - if it has become dull, it means that violations occur in the body.
Bulldogs are not washed as often - 1 time in 2-3 months or as needed. It is possible to use both special means, and children's soap. It is necessary to regularly inspect the pet's ears and, if contaminated, treat them with a cotton swab. Eyes are treated with a wet cloth daily.
Teeth can be called a weak point in the health of the dog, they are prone to various diseases and grinding. Therefore, to give the pet often bones should not be. As a preventive measure, you should regularly brush your teeth and give special delicacies with a cleansing effect. Claws of an animal are cut regularly - more often in winter.
How much is a puppy
Due to the fact that this breed is quite popular, problems with the acquisition of a pet will not arise. There will be many options, and in any price category:
- A puppy without documents and, as a result, without guarantees of pure breed and health, can cost 2500-3500 rubles. It is worth considering that such a dog is suitable only as a pet.
- A puppy from a nursery without a pedigree, but with the possibility of its receipt and a guarantee of compliance with health, can be purchased for 10,000-20,000 rubles.
- The cost of the "French" with documents varies from 20,000 to 80,000 rubles. It depends on many factors, such as the titularity of the producers, the compliance of puppies with the standard and so on.
The French Bulldog is a dog that is not bold in size, cheerful and devoted. This is a great travel companion, a friend who will look forward to the return of his master. And what does he require in return? Attention, love, affection, friendly attitude and quality care. This is the key to a good relationship between the owner and his four-legged pet.
Characteristic: pros and cons of breed
- Height - 30 - 38 cm.
- Weight - 10 - 14 kg.
- Height - 28 - 35 cm.
- Weight - 8 - 12 kg.
- No class - no more than $ 120
- PET class - $ 130 - $ 350
- BRID class - $ 400 - $ 1300
- SHOW class - from $ 1000 to $ 1500 and above
Life expectancy is about 12 - 13 years.
The advantages of the breed include:
- The possibility of maintenance in a small apartment - due to the fact that there is no need for physical exertion and long-term walking.
- Lack of increased activity.
- Ease in education and training, which can be trusted even to a child.
- Easy care of hair, ears, claws and other parts of the body.
- Easily transfers a change of scenery, traveling in a portable bag, traveling in a car.
- Tolerance to an excess of affection and attention.
- Almost does not bark.
- Not aggressive.
Cons and complexity of the content:
- Tendency to diagnoses such as heart and respiratory failure, catarrhal diseases, injuries and eye diseases, allergies, dermatitis, spinal pathologies.
- Due to the brachycephalic form of the skull, breathing problems, snoring, sniffing, and heat intolerance are possible.
- Difficulty in reproduction - due to physiological features, sometimes only artificial insemination is possible, delivery by cesarean section.
- Needs clothes in the winter to avoid hypothermia, and a headdress in the summer so as not to get a heat stroke.
- Prone to obesity, therefore, requires vigilant monitoring of food.
Contrary to popular belief on the Internet, the French bulldog will not be able to act as a protector or guard.
Breed description: character and temperament
The French bulldog on the characteristics of the breed is a kind of psychologist. He feels the relationship, fears and sympathies of the family in which he lives. Understands when the household is not up to him and patiently slumbers in his place. He feels when a man comes to whom everyone is happy and shares these emotions: he carries his favorite toys to the guest, climbs to his knees. If the guest is unexpected, then he will bark and show his intrinsic courage.
The French Bulldog is an unobtrusive, lively, affectionate, sociable and balanced pet. Nervous individuals of this breed do not exist. He gets along well with the family in which he lives, loves children very much and is ready to forgive them for any pranks, hugs, squeezing and other manifestations of sympathy. For the owner, the dog is ready to tag along, sleep in the legs, or even in the master's bed. Very pleased with praise and affection, he was delighted to meet family members from work. It is very difficult to tolerate separation from the owner, a long stay in the apartment alone. If you have to change the owner, you usually experience tremendous stress, although it changes the situation and living conditions very easily.
Dogs of this breed are very clever, which does not mean ease in education. The basic commands are simple to teach them, but the jacket is extremely cunning because of its intelligence, so it’s important not to indulge in cute leprosy and pet laziness, otherwise it can turn into a desperate dirty dog who desperately manipulates the owner.
Photo of french bulldog
Wool and bathing
Short hair is regularly combed out with an ordinary stiff brush, first in the direction of hair growth, then against. This removes dead hair. After walking, you need to wipe the hair and skin folds with a damp towel or wet wipes, preferably with children. Bathing a dog rarely - no more than 4 times per year. It is necessary to use only special quality shampoo for dogs, preferably with herbs. Till 9 months it is impossible to bathe not to break a skin and fatty exchange. Bathing should be obligatory after a walk in muddy terrain or after rain. Water should not be used hot (so as not to provoke the appearance of bald patches), but warm. After bathing procedures, wrap the pet in a warm, dry towel for a few minutes, so it quickly cools and dries without harm to health.
Folds, especially on the face, should be regularly inspected and wiped with a dry towel to avoid inflammation and infection. For lubrication is well suited children's cream for diaper rash or under diapers. It is also useful for lubricating the space between the toes of the paws. Spout also needs care: processing with a talker of olive oil and pharmacy vitamin E in ampoules. Without this, crusts may appear on the lobe, and dryness will torment you.
Claws, ears, eyes
Claws are clipped as they grow only if they do not have time to grind down while walking. To make the procedure painless and quick, purchase a special clipper or an electric scraper. Ears are treated from dirt, too, with wet wipes or cotton swab dipped in alcohol-free or baby lotion, sea buckthorn oil or petroleum jelly. Eyes can be cleaned of regularly appearing mucus with gentle movements using a tampon dipped in chamomile broth.
In no case can tea or albucide be used to wipe the pet's eyes. They provoke an increase in inflammatory processes.
An important task of caring for the breed is brushing your teeth. If it is not carried out at least once a week, by 3–5 years your dog will start having problems with the jaws: the formation of tartar, tooth decay, gum inflammation, up to periodontitis and purulent rhinitis. It is very easy to brush a bulldog's teeth - the procedure is carried out by winding gauze on a finger and dipping it in baking soda or special tooth powder for dogs. By the time it does not take more than 5 - 7 minutes.
Caring for a dog in the heat and cold
It is very important to protect the bulldog from heat and cold. Thin short hair and the absence of undercoat do not protect the dog from the weather, so it needs clothes for the season, preferably a waterproof hooded jumpsuit or jacket. We need to take care of the headdress: Panama in the heat or hat in the cold season. If there is a suspicion that the pet is overheated, pour cool water on it or just wet the paws and stomach, take it in the shade, give it water. In winter, in order to warm a frozen dog, you can run around with him, play active games.
Feeding a French bulldog should be based on the use of low-calorie, but balanced food. Overfeeding is fraught with obesity for adults and rickets for puppies. To check if the gurgle is not overweight, feel its ribs, they should be palpable, the tummy should be taut. A sign of overfeeding is also a heavy, heavy gait.
It is better not to give hard foods and bones, and teeth are quickly grinded from this. Puppies are fed up to two months 6 times a day, up to three months - 5 times, up to 6 - 4 times, up to 12 - three times, and after the dog is considered an adult and gets food twice a day.
Each dog is a monodietic, that is, does not require a variety in food. Moreover, it is harmful to the gastrointestinal tract. The main thing in food is not its taste, but its smell. Dog taste almost does not feel.
- Remember that the stomach french is not adapted to liquid food.
- If you feed your pet with a dryer, daily give him fresh vegetables or fruits, twice a week, replace dry food with natural products.
- У собаки обязательно должна быть в зоне доступности свежая и чистая вода.
- Следите за реакцией на новые продукты. Французские бульдоги, особенно молодые, склонны к пищевой аллергии. Чаще всего она проявляется в появлении залысин на коже вокруг глаз или за ушами. Subsequently, the dog will comb these places before the sores.
- Food needs to be cut in small pieces, as the dog can greedily swallow a large piece and choke.
- You can not feed the dog off the table. It will spoil him.
What must be included in the natural diet?
- Kashi (better than buckwheat, rice, rolled oats, porridge).
- Vegetables, stew with porridge or give raw.
- Meat (any, except pork, preferably beef).
- Raw boneless sea fish fillet.
- Boiled offal (hearts, kidneys, liver).
- Dairy products - cottage cheese, milk (up to two months), yogurt or kefir.
- Fruits and berries.
- Vegetable oil (preferably olive oil) - add several times a week, a spoonful per serving.
- Greens, germinated seeds of cereals.
- River fish,
- sausages and smoked meats,
- pickled products
- semi-finished products
- products from the "human" table.
- genetic abnormalities: displacement of intervertebral discs, the occurrence of semi-vertebrae or, as they are also called, wedge-shaped vertebrae (provoke severe pain and can lead to complete atrophy of the extremities),
- displacement of the vertebrae
- intervertebral hernia,
- Allergic reactions - most often on food, pollen, insect bites, dust.
- Problem childbirth - due to the large size of the head of the fetus and narrow bough of the bough, usually require a cesarean section.
- Urolithiasis disease.
Choosing a puppy
It is of course best to acquire a puppy from a trusted breeder or in a nursery with a good reputation. If you are not familiar with the characteristics of the breed, then invite an independent expert. It is important to adhere to the basic rules:
- When buying a puppy, study the photo on the kennel's website, ask the parents to show them, at least a bitch, talk to the owner of the kennel, carefully and slowly study the documents: pedigree, veterinary passport. If the dog has a stamp, compare its number with that which is indicated by the documents.
- Make sure you have the necessary vaccinations, deworming.
- It is important that the room where the puppies are kept is clean, without unpleasant smells and dirt.
- If a puppy is suddenly not there, sold, fell ill, and the like, and you were offered another, then you should not cooperate with such an unreliable breeder. Once deceived, deceive many more times.
- Inspect the puppy itself. The puppy must comply with the breed standard, be playful, active, cheerful, curious, not cowardly, clean, without unpleasant odors and secretions from the eyes or ears.
Remember that you gain a pet for at least 10 years, and the time or money saved, insufficient study and careless approach to the choice of a seller can turn into a mass of sores, genetic abnormalities, or even the imminent death of a dog that you and your family can love.
What a dog should look like
The French Bulldog, whose price is about 40 thousand rubles, has certain standards in color and appearance. Pets are small. Average height - about 30 cm, weight - 12-14 kg. Despite these parameters, the dog looks powerful. The muzzle is massive, square-shaped, with a flat forehead. There are folds that require special care.
The main highlight of this breed is big, bulging eyes of a dark color. The look is understanding, attentive. The ears are rather large, rounded at the ends, standing. No cropping is required.
The neck is very short, muscular. The back and chest are wide. Forepaws differ in length from the hind. Look in different directions. The tail is small. From birth with kinks, never rises above the spinal section. The dogs of this breed are smooth-haired, easy to care for them. Enough to do bath procedures 1 time per month.
Does color matter?
The standard color is white (spots are allowed), red, brown, brindle, motley. Many are interested: is there a blue french bulldog? This color is not allowed. Differently this coloring is called mouse. Canine scientists believe that this color scheme is a mistake and the little dogs are not thoroughbred.
We study an animal
The nature of the dog is so playful and perky that it is suitable for those who love all the colors of life. At the same time, the dog is rather athletic, has massive muscles, which helps him to intercede for the owner in case of danger. These features of character must be considered when walking with a dog on the street. She is ready to fight to the end, even if the rival is superior to her in everything.
Puppies of this breed respond well to training. They are smart and persistent. Canine experts point out the fact that the animal feels and understands its owner very well. If you experience a negative guest, the same feelings will be passed on to the pet.
When purchasing a dog, you should be prepared for the fact that it will need to devote time. Caring for a French bulldog is quite simple. The first thing you need to pay attention - muzzle. It has folds in which dirt and dust fall. To avoid wounds and diaper rash, they should be wiped daily with a damp cotton swab.
Dogs of this breed have a short soft coat. Virtually no shedding. It will be enough to comb them several times a week. Paws need to be washed after each walk, and bathing - once a month. It is important to use special shampoos so as not to cause dandruff and allergic reactions.
Behind the ears almost do not need care. They have a standing position, constantly airing. It will be enough to wipe them once a week with a wadded wet disc. If you notice that sulfur is released from the ears, you should show the animal to the doctor.
Teeth - the weak point of this breed of dogs. They need to be cleaned 1 time per week. For these purposes, suitable medium-hard brush and special powder, which can be purchased at any pet store. There is also worth buying special cookies for dogs, they help to clean the teeth from plaque.
Another sore point is the eyes. They often "turn sour" in pets. In addition, there is a disease (third eyelid), which is subject to this breed. Do not forget to wipe your eyes daily. Once a week, do it with tea infusion.
Separately, I would like to touch on the topic of posterity. Knitting French bulldogs should take place at the age of 2 years. If you are thinking about breeding a breed, do not miss the moment.
As you can see, the French Bulldog does not require any special care, but you still have to spend time.
For whom is a dog of this breed suitable?
The French Bulldog, the price of which is quite high, is very popular among families with children. These tender, playful animals can become true friends for the baby. They are active, love to play. Most importantly, they do not show aggression.
But like any dog, they need walks in the fresh air. This should be done at least 3 times a day. Duration - from 1 to 4 hours. In the cold season, 15 minutes will be enough.
The dog is short-haired, so you should take care of the clothes. It should be a jacket or raincoat, which is not blown by the wind. Mandatory hat and shoes. Many people think that this is a fad. But this is absolutely not the case. An animal can easily catch a cold. This breed is not very good heat transfer. And the fat layer is almost absent.
Since the dogs of this breed often have allergic reactions, the food for the French bulldogs should be only premium. It is fully balanced, rich in minerals and a complex of vitamins.
If you decide to feed the dog with natural food, you should exclude from the diet:
Baked goods and pasta.
River fish. It often causes allergies.
The average weight of the French Bulldog is 14 kg. It is not necessary to overfeed the pet, so that it does not have any health problems.
Communicating with amateur dog breeders, we can conclude that this breed is ideal for families with children. A French bulldog a month reminds a small, playful child, for whom special care is needed, which needs care and affection. But over time, the pet turns into a real protector of the family, ready at any moment to come to the rescue.
You can keep such a dog in your apartment. There is no unpleasant smell, molting, shreds of wool on the floor. In addition, the pet is good-natured, happily connects to games, is active.
Of the negative aspects can be identified problems with nutrition. Premium food is quite expensive. Cheaper will not work, as will cause an allergic reaction.
This breed of dogs is for active, cheerful and cheerful people. Pet betrayed owners. It does not require special care. All he needs is care and affection.
Purpose of the breed, appearance, photos
The French Bulldog is a companion dog. She does not just love her master - she lives them. She needs to see the owner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. She wants to "talk" with him, eat, sleep, walk.
French bulldogs adore children, there is no aggression in them, but also fear, so for the child they will be the ideal companions in leprosy and games. Given that this breed is insensitive to pain, the “embrace” of the child will not be afraid of it.
Characteristics and breed standard
The modern French bulldog, the description of which allows us to present the sweetest creature, is not at all a giant: his height is about 30-35 cm at the withers. The muzzle is short, the animal is muscular and strong. A distinctive feature of the breed - high big ears, a split upper lip, a flat nose and protruding incisors.
The latest edition of the standard is valid from 03. 11. 2014.
Here is a description of the articles of French bulldogs:
- Proportions. The distance from the femur to the shoulder should be slightly larger than the height at the withers. The muzzle is about one sixth of the length of the entire head.
- Head. Large, wide, fits well into the square. The scalp forms almost symmetrical wrinkles and folds. These formations should not be too much.
- Skull wide, almost flat, with a forehead resembling a dome. The arcs above the eyebrows are pronounced, separated by a groove, the greatest depth of which falls on the distance between the eyes. The furrow must end before the skull. Occiput is underdeveloped.
- The transition to the forehead about the area of "face" is expressed very clearly.
- Muzzle. Flattened nasal-facial part, moderate inclination of the nose to the skull. The tip of the nose is sticking up.
- Nose wide, black with symmetrical wide nostrils, directed slightly upward. Breathing is free.
- Teeth and Jaws powerful, wide. The lower jaw is bent up, speaking in front of the top. The lower incisors are an arc that does not deflect to the sides. The distance between the incisors at the top and bottom is not significant. It is important that the upper and lower lips are closed, hiding the teeth completely.
- Bryli loose, thick, black. The upper lip is closed under the nose with the bottom. Language does not stick out. Cheeks are very developed.
The color of wool can be absolutely any, except black: white, white-fawn, brindle, cream, fawn.
French bulldogs are very peaceful. They are moderately gentle and loyal. A dog with such a bright temperament will not give the opportunity to miss the owner and his guests, because he feels great in the crowd of fans. They are important attention and opportunity to demonstrate charisma.
Pet calm, although somewhat outrageous. The psyche is stable - these animals do not know fear, panic. The dog is touchy, but if the owner has taken a step towards it, he is ready to forget about all the differences.
French bulldogs get along well with all households and pets.
The French Bulldog, whose character allows you to get along well in a family with children, is still more suitable for adults. The fact is that babies are rarely willing to constantly endure such an abundance of energy and emotions. In addition, the dog itself is not always correct with children, because it lacks patience.
The "French" prefer to be the only pets, but if there are other animals in the house, they will get along with everyone. Despite the small size, the bulldogs consider themselves responsible for the territory they jealously guard. They will warn you if someone comes to the door.
Making contact, trusting relationships with a dog is very simple. Bulldogs love to spend as much time as possible near the owner, fully justifying their purpose.
"French" - affectionate pets, loyal friends and cheerful companions.
Rules of maintenance and care
The French Bulldog is an ideal pet for keeping in an apartment. He does not need spaces for living and walking, he is completely satisfied with a small stove bench near the owner.
It is important to remember that the bed cannot be equipped near heating systems or in a draft. The surface should be fairly solid, spacious and clean. With all the love of a pet, it is unwise to place him in his or his children's bedroom — because of the nasopharyngeal structure, the animal snores heavily during sleep.
Walking with a bulldog can be of a calm nature - on the street the dog is not particularly active. In the heat or cold, you should not walk for a long time, because the short hair does not protect the dog too much. In the winter, it is better for her to buy clothes, and for cold weather and shoes.
The French bulldogs have short hair, so they need warm clothes for frosts.
It is advisable to walk the dog on uneven surfaces: sand, gravel, forest soil. Moving down the stairs can damage the spine of the dog, so it is better to overcome the spans with the dog in his arms. This is especially important for dogs up to a year, since their skeleton is still not sufficiently rigid.
Interesting! It is believed that on board the Titanic was a dog of this breed. Witnesses claimed that after the death of the vessel they saw a dog floating towards the shore. This story is not so easy to believe, because the paws of this dog are rather short and the head is too heavy. Most of the representatives of the breed do not know how to swim.
Care of hair, paws and face
Caring for the "French" quite simple. They need to be combed out once a week to remove dead hair. It is recommended to bathe a dog only at considerable pollution. It is not advisable to do this more often 2 times a year.
It is necessary to regularly cut the claws and monitor the cleanliness and integrity of the paw pads.
It is necessary to monitor the condition of the eyes, regularly wipe them with a damp cloth. It is important to wipe wrinkles on the face, which accumulate dirt and moisture that can lead to infection.. Wrinkles are wiped with cotton pads.
How to care for your ears
Ears enough to clean twice a month. If discharge, unpleasant odor, redness, swelling and swelling appear, you should immediately consult a doctor, as these symptoms may indicate ear diseases.
Ears of the French Bulldog should be standing, but do not worry about it before the dog is 3 months old. In some individuals with heavy, fleshy ears, this can occur by half a year. However, even if the cartilage is not erect, it is possible to help them. This requires: bandage, paper or medical plaster, cotton wool.
Glue ears should be like this:
- prepare two rolls of cotton wool, whose width is about 5 cm, the length exceeds the length of the ears by 2 cm,
- wrap rollers with a bandage so that they do not lose shape,
- put the resulting "doll" vertically in the ear, and "wrap" her ear. Fix the resulting shape with a plaster.
In the production of ears, not only vertical, but also symmetry is important. If the ears are in different directions, the judge will consider it a vice.
Therefore, additional efforts are needed:
- take two pieces of plaster equal to the length between the ears + the width of the ears,
- wrap the ears with ribbons in front and behind, gluing them together in the middle.
This design must be left for 7-10 days. If the ears do not stand up after this, it is necessary to repeat gluing. Most often missing two times. In order not to spoil the ear cartilage of the dog, do not stroke it over the head, touching the ears.
French Bulldog Diet
Many newly-baked owners are interested in what to feed the French bulldog. Единого мнения у специалистов на этот счет нет, но все же большая часть самих животных голосуют за натуральную пищу.Of course, we are not talking about borscht and sausage: you only need to feed the dog with food prepared for it.
Many owners feed bulldogs with natural food, in which meat (beef, lamb) necessarily prevails.
When feeding "naturalkoy" should give most of the diet to the meat. This may be lean lamb or beef. You can give boiled or raw meat, cut into small pieces. Bird give only boiled and only without stones. It is preferable for the puppy to give a staple, rather than stuffing. If you treat your pet offal, it is better to boil or scald them. Fish is allowed only sea.
In the diet should be buckwheat and rice porridge, yolk of boiled eggs is given weekly. For dogs useful carrots, cabbage, pumpkin. Fruits should be given raw, avoiding citrus fruits and grapes.
Health, life expectancy and breed diseases
"The French" - not the greatest longevity among dogs: the average life expectancy - 10-12 years.
In general, these are quite healthy and strong animals, but there are some medical problems inherent in this particular breed:
- The main problem of the breed is a short nose. As with other brachycephalus, breathing difficulties often occur. In the cool season, this problem does not catch the eye, but in summer it is necessary to take water for a walk. In extreme heat, 50 Corvalol drops should be added to the bottle to avoid heart problems.
- Bulging eyes add difficulty. The low growth of the breed allows it to stumble on the bushes, in particularly serious cases, the eye may fall out. It is necessary to carefully monitor the pet on walks.
- Another breed problem is the predisposition to spinal changes. Underdevelopment of the tail section can bring a lot of discomfort. A sudden movement, a jump, a blow is probably an inflammation of the spine.
French bulldogs have bulging eyes, which often leads to their injuries and even loss.
The first vaccination is done in two months (Nobivak DHPPi + Nobivac Lepto). The second is done in a month, the composition is the same. The third vaccine (rabies) is done after changing all the teeth.
Every year, a dog should be vaccinated against rabies, plague and leptospirosis.
Buying a puppy: how to make the right choice
If you take a puppy "from hand", its price will be small, but it is likely to get a breed marriage or not a purebred animal at all. Sometimes you can find a really good puppy for only $ 100. The average price in the nursery is 200-500 dollars. The offspring of the show class from titled parents will cost from $ 1,000.
Buying a puppy is best in kennels.
Characteristics of the French Bulldog breed
French Bulldog - decorative small breed, with a sharp turn of mind and cheerful disposition.
It is famous for its good health, it is rarely exposed to various diseases, it will not bring you any special troubles for care, it does not require a lot of space, but it will be a good guard and a favorite for you.
France is considered the birthplace of these babies, but as it is not surprising, they were bred in England.
For the first time, the French Bulldog breed was presented at an exhibition in England in 1896, where it made a good impression and conquered many dog breeders.
During the industrial revolution, many English lace makers and artisans wanted to have a little friend who would bring a sparkle of joy to their boring life.
Breeders turned to the dwarf version of the English Bulldog, crossed it with a pug and a terrier and got the desired result. They were crossed to get the perfect companion.
In the middle of the XIX century, in factories, instead of workers, they began to use machine tools more and more, in search of a better life and work, artisans migrated to France, taking pets with them.
The French immediately liked this amazing breed. He deftly caught and exterminated rats, small rodents.
The Americans, in turn, brought them to their homeland. The United States is the only country that singled out a beloved French bulldog into a separate breed. In New York, he is one of the three most popular breeds, it is an ideal city dog.
In the twenties of the last century, this breed appeared in Russia, but only noble and rich people could afford it, since this strange dog was very expensive. One of the first fans of the French bulldog was the famous opera singer Fyodor Chaliapin.
To date, many celebrity actors, singers and politicians are crazy about these cute, grunting eagles.
french bulldog color
- Pale yellow - from bright red to "coffee with milk", white spots are allowed on the abdomen, chest and neck, and a white groove on the forehead towards the nose. Bela spots in other places are considered a vice.
- Brindle (interspersed with red hairs on a black background, or black on a redhead. A mask on the face is acceptable, a narrow white groove, marks on the throat and chest)
- White (white with spots, white tiger)
- White - brindle
- Black - brindle